Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: The Laws of Inferno Dynamics

• Start Topic

Fitz and Simmons killed one of Eli's goons, Yo-Yo and Mack are together, Daisy got a lanyard, and Mack got more use of his shotgun-axe.  Awesome stuff.

May being an android wasn't awesome.  Darn you Aida, although I thought she had killed Dr Radcliffe and replaced him with an android.

• Love 5

Not sure how I feel about May being a victim again.  And perhaps now deceased as an independent person?  I suppose we'll have to see what Aida's done.  I assume Mace's associate will get the same treatment.  Aida's artificial but real reaction to pain was upsetting. 

On the whole this was a good episode.  We can leave behind Daisy's outsider drama for a bit.  The ghost rider arc worked out pretty well.  I wouldn't mind having Eli back, and if he gets his own show I'll check it out.  On to LMD theatre.  I would love it if the Koenigs, whatever they may be, showed up.

Always glad to see Yo-Yo.  Yo-yo on Robbie: "Here comes Burning Man."

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

I like her.

But, aaaaahh! I was not expecting that LifeMayDecoy ending! "LMD theatre" is right.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 5

Damn it, Radcliffe. Was it your idea to let Aida watch Westworld? I know, AI is a horrific idea, but that's the show currently in vogue.

I hope Robbie comes back, at least for his brother's sake. I'm okay with a Ghost Rider that doesn't invite ridicule.

Nice to have Skyesy back. Maybe Mace will regulate her eyeshadow supply. Didn't think Coulson and May would be an item before the  reveal. "I didn't break any ethical rules, guys. I used my robot hand only. Honest!"

M.A.Y. = Mechanized Asskicker, Yo? That's the best I got.

ETA: Elena's display isn't on par with Quicksilver in the last X-Men movies, but it was good for television. And I got a chuckle out of Koening getting a shoutout, seeing how I thought he/they were LMDs from the start.

• Love 4

Don't worry about it, Mace.  Even as an android, Mallory Jensen is still pretty hot!  And it's not like Radcliffe accidentally made Aida good-looking: I'm sure it was all on purpose (or, again, he really was just a huge fan of Galavant and Queen Madalena.)  But, of course, it looks like reading the book has made her become all-knowing and bad.  Didn't predict she had the real Melinda captured though, and it's a robotic imposter that is currently hanging out with the gang (and drinking that scotch!)  Should have suspected since Melinda did seem a bit more cheery (by her standards) compared to the norm.

Robbie takes out Eli and goes out with him, but just like Coulson said, I'm sure he'll be back.  Gabriel Luna did some great work in this episode.

Mack and Elena/Yo-Yo finally quit messing around and actually kiss.  Yay!  Now, please don't kill off either one of them, show!

I did like that the gang and Mace are slightly functioning together now; especially now that is out in the open that he was bribed to do the Senator's bidding and is willing to lend a hand more often, like bailing Daisy out and making her an agent again.  I do think the Senator will continue to be an issue though.

Fitz and Simmons double-shooting a goon is always a plus!

Overall, the Ghost Rider arc was a pretty decent success.  Curious to see if they can pull off the same thing with the "LMD"/Aida unleashed one after the break. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Should have suspected since Melinda did seem a bit more cheery (by her standards) compared to the norm.

Was Replicant!May may smiling a little bit more than usual? I didn't twig to it at the time, but...

I ended up liking the Robbie Reyes version of Ghost Rider a whole lot more than I thought I would at the beginning of the season. I really liked what Gabriel Luna did with the part.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 8

Great twist at the end.  I never anticipated that.  Though I guess Coulson and May looking like they're moving towards a romantic relationship should have tipped me off.

Really good episode.  The Ghost Rider story arc worked out great and Gabriel Luna did a really good job.  I have no doubt he'll be back by the end of the season.  Love the mention of the original Ghost Rider as well.

Really liked what the did with Mace and seeing him in action.

I thought they would follow up with Mack Rider more but they really didn't.

Looking forward to the LMD storyline and I only hope we don't have to wait another three months for that.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the twist as well. Thanks, show, for actually presenting a twist that is surprising. We all knew Aida would turn bad, but May being captured and LMD being her replacement was certainly a thought that never crossed my mind. I guess we're also going for a Coulson/May romance...well, now Coulson/Life May Decoy. Well, Coulson DOES have a bionic arm, so they have something in common!

I know we'll see Gabriel Luna soon enough, but I will miss him for the time being. He was great.

I enjoyed the team finally learning about Mace. He's a nice morally grey character, in that he's doing things to benefit him, but he's still choosing good over evil. It's nice. Don't turn him evil for good, show. Just leave him be. He'll still be somewhat of a problem, but also an asset. 

I still forget FitzSimmons is a couple. 

So, this is how they bring Daisy back to the team. Eh, ok, fine. No more Goth Daisy, then.

• Love 5

I know that Patton's got a lot going on with him and his family, but I hope they get him back and I double hope he takes out Aida. And that he says something really cheeky.

This season turned into a season of love. Even Mace admitted to making eyes as Aida.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Sandman said:

I like her.

But, aaaaahh! I was not expecting that LifeMayDecoy ending! "LMD theatre" is right.

That isn't what LMD means, is it?

Presumably Aida went rogue from reading that mystical book?  Or making a brain for herself with the knowledge she gained from the book?

Wow I didn't see android May coming. I think that Aida went "evil" after reading that book.

Glad that Daisy is back as an agent. And  I liked that Mack and yoyo are together :). I defiantly hope we see Robbie/ghost rider again and would totally watch a spin off show of him.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, blueray said:

Wow I didn't see android May coming. I think that Aida went "evil" after reading that book.

Glad that Daisy is back as an agent. And  I liked that Mack and yoyo are together :). I defiantly hope we see Robbie/ghost rider again and would totally watch a spin off show of him.

53 minutes ago, paigow said:

Simmons should be able to identify Imposter May immediately...unless May is vastly more advanced than Aida.

At the end Eli was going on about creating life. I think that is just what Aida did when she created May, who doesn't need the social interaction upgrades that Dr Radcliffe wants to give to Aida.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1

Although AoS manages to have plenty of action, for some reason the stakes often do not feel very high, despite all the yelling and running. The only people that seem to be in legit danger are the anonymous red-shirt agents, random walk-on characters and current villains in residence.  There are a lot of AoS characters now, but they always manage not be the ones who who get a carbon shank through the chest or a snapped neck. 

There  seems to be an understanding that everyone will be okay unless  some "big exit" is being telegraphed. Evil Eli shanks everyone who confronts him -- but allows Coulson to heckle him for ten minutes?? G.Rider Robbie vanished previously and  the team was all-hands-on-deck to get him back (with the others). But this time ...? Everybody just seemed to shrug their shoulders and say "I guess his arc was done, so let's  go home and not worry about it. Sorry, kid brother, you can roll yourself out."

The upcoming LMD-May arc looks interesting, but I'm not worried about May's safety.  I am okay with the comic book plot armor that protects the main characters - but I do wish TPTB were not so obvious about it. 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 5

There have been references, I believe, to the "Life Model Decoy," or "LMD," in The Avengers and Captain America comics for years. I seem to remember that Stark pretends to be an LMD to avoid talking to Coulson in the first act of The Avengers movie. "LifeMayDecoy" is just my lame little pun.

2 hours ago, paigow said:

Simmons should be able to identify Imposter May immediately...unless May is vastly more advanced than Aida.

I wouldn't have said this was likely, but with the introduction of "magic" (or Darkhold tech), now I'm not certain.

• Love 3

Good ep though I feel I'm still missing the energy of previous arcs. This whole season has felt like a prologue to me. I'm glad S4 2nd half will have the team back together.

Well finally Mack- make up for lost time-- more Yo Yo kissing!

Not surprised by Melinda in Danger! considering the anvils dropped by Phil's desire to open the bottle of whatever last ep and this week. Haven't we done the Faux-Linda plotline before? Though... I wonder if MAY knows she's a decoy? And why would AIDA, so willing to kill poor agent redshirt, keep Melinda alive?

All the nuclear/ scientific gobbledy gook and stuff with Mace was lost on me. I did like that Mace used the same smoke for Daisy as he must have used for himself- the smoke Simmons had smelled and leveraged.

I miss Simmons. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Heh, Coulson's going to sleep with a robot. 

I've really never liked the idea of Philinda and honestly if Coulson cannot tell the difference between May, someone he has known well for years, and a robot the ship is even worse than I thought. Sorry. May and Coulson have a history. Coulson knows that robots can look and act very human. If he can't put it together right away he be way too dumb and also clearly doesn't actually know or care about May enough to realize when she's not herself. Ugh!

I really love Mace. I thought this was a standout episode for him and did so much to establish his character and motivations. His scenes with Coulson and Daisy were really great.

I'm sad Robbie is gone and I'm rather annoyed no one is looking for a way to bring him back. He was a good guy who got in way over his head. He's the type of person SHIELD is supposed to be looking out for.

• Love 4

They know LMD's exist, they don't know that Aida can make her own LMD's. They wouldn't have a reason to think about that. However I do hope that someone recognizes that May is acting different sooner rather than later. Coulson should be the one since he knows her the best. I'm giving them a pass for this episode because I believe LMDMay showed up after she was sent to pick up Aida. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, vibeology said:

Coulson knows that robots can look and act very human. If he can't put it together right away he be way too dumb and also clearly doesn't actually know or care about May enough to realize when she's not herself. Ugh!

Hey, she fooled me.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I too would like to know about the previous Ghost Rider Coulson mentioned. Johnny Blaze? Danny Ketch?

I imagine that was just a shout out for fans. But if it comes to anything, and if they're smart, they'd go with Ketch. Blaze may be more well known but he's also associated with the Nic Cage movies and as a general rule Marvel wants to pretend they don't exist.

Edited by KirkB
17 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I would love it if the Koenigs, whatever they may be, showed up.

I always have a little hope a Koenig will show up because I am an optimistic creature.  Has there been a Koenig in any of the movies?  Because I would actually go to the theater to see it there if that were true.

I totally did not get the Burning Man in the show.  Awesome!

17 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Mack and Elena/Yo-Yo finally quit messing around and actually kiss.  Yay!  Now, please don't kill off either one of them, show!

Yikes!  I hadn't thought of that!  Nooooooo!

I wouldn't have been able to resist choosing May as the LMD.  You know Aida gets busted because LMD_May is too animated.

• Love 2

Coulson:  "We need the big guns on this one, and Yo-Yo, Reyes and Daisy are the biggest guns we have."  Really show?  Um, no.  No they're not.

Look, I know we're not getting any of the Avengers on the show for budget reasons but at least a name-drop would be nice.  They've got an AI storyline going on and Tony Stark's name never comes up?  Well, at least Mace name dropped Ultron!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, KirkB said:

Blaze may be more well known but he's also associated with the Nic Cage movies and as a general rule Marvel wants to pretend they don't exist.

In this I fully support Marvel.

• Love 5

Robbie, I love you. You must come back or get your own show. Gabe needs you! 

Mace, you are one sexy man. He was hot as hell fighting in his suit. I still want to know about his powers, but won't be sticking around.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

Although AoS manages to have plenty of action, for some reason the stakes often do not feel very high, despite all the yelling and running. The only people that seem to be in legit danger are the anonymous red-shirt agents, random walk-on characters and current villains in residence.  There are a lot of AoS characters now, but they always manage not be the ones who who get a carbon shank through the chest or a snapped neck. 

There  seems to be an understanding that everyone will be okay unless  some "big exit" is being telegraphed. Evil Eli shanks everyone who confronts him -- but allows Coulson to heckle him for ten minutes?? G.Rider Robbie vanished previously and  the team was all-hands-on-deck to get him back (with the others). But this time ...? Everybody just seemed to shrug their shoulders and say "I guess his arc was done, so let's  go home and not worry about it. Sorry, kid brother, you can roll yourself out."

Really disappointed by this episode, in part for some of these reasons -- it never feels like there's any real danger despite dark lighting, creepy music, and the cast yelling and running everywhere. Of course the world isn't going to end, and of course The Heroes are going to be okay while the Recurring Characters are tidily killed off/sent to another dimension so we can close this chapter and open another one. It's all a little too clean and compartmetalized. Even for the main characters, is this the ending of the whole Daisy-angst arc? She's wondering about her place in SHIELD, and a pat on the head + a "we missed you" and she's back on the team? I don't like it when shows hit the reset button, characters need to move forward and change for better and for worse, not just revert back to the status quo.

Am I the only one who is really going to miss Eli and Robbie? I'd rather watch a show with the two of them.

I'd heard good things about this season, but after watching this episode, I'm out.

Edited by kitlee625
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Cekrypton1 said:

Great, now that we are in for half a season of fake beautiful people, the Whedons can dust off all their unused Dollhouse scripts.

If they can find a way to work in Enver Gjokaj, I'm all for it

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Tarasme said:

Good ep though I feel I'm still missing the energy of previous arcs. This whole season has felt like a prologue to me. I'm glad S4 2nd half will have the team back together.

Well finally Mack- make up for lost time-- more Yo Yo kissing!

Not surprised by Melinda in Danger! considering the anvils dropped by Phil's desire to open the bottle of whatever last ep and this week. Haven't we done the Faux-Linda plotline before? Though... I wonder if MAY knows she's a decoy? And why would AIDA, so willing to kill poor agent redshirt, keep Melinda alive?

All the nuclear/ scientific gobbledy gook and stuff with Mace was lost on me. I did like that Mace used the same smoke for Daisy as he must have used for himself- the smoke Simmons had smelled and leveraged.

I miss Simmons. 

3 minutes ago, kitlee625 said:

Really disappointed by this episode, in part for some of these reasons -- it never feels like there's any real danger despite dark lighting, creepy music, and the cast yelling and running everywhere. Of course the world isn't going to end, and of course The Heroes are going to be okay while the Recurring Characters are tidily killed off/sent to another dimension so we can close this chapter and open another one. It's all a little too clean and compartmetalized. Even for the main characters, is this the ending of the whole Daisy-angst arc? She's wondering about her place in SHIELD, and a pat on the head + a "we missed you" and she's back on the team? I don't like it when shows hit the reset button, characters need to move forward and change for better and for worse, not just revert back to the status quo.

Am I the only one who is really going to miss Eli and Robbie? I'd rather watch a show with the two of them.

I'd heard good things about this season, but after watching this episode, I'm out.

No, I am also going to miss him and I also feel like the Darkhold is also done now as well. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, paigow said:

I thought of this, too. Although: Who would have thought that even Aida could build an LMD THAT quickly? Seriously, how much time was there between the last ep (and Aida creating the Arc to Bring Everyone Back) and this one? Like 3 days, tops? (Okay, I know I'm asking for too much realism; plot holes this large are a staple of this type of TV show.)

10 minutes ago, GenieinTX said:

If they can find a way to work in Enver Gjokaj, I'm all for it

YES.

And Koenig and his brother(s).

Edited by LilJen
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Cekrypton1 said:

Great, now that we are in for half a season of fake beautiful people, the Whedons can dust off all their unused Dollhouse scripts.

I remember watching that show right up till the episode where they have the flash-forward to the Apocalypse. So, if they are going to use that I will be done. 

• Love 1

Count me as another who needs more Robbie, stat! I gave up on this show halfway through the first season but came back last month for Ghost Rider. And now he's gone?! So disappointed. (Especially since Hulu only has the last five episodes up, so I can't watch the first few episodes that I missed. *sniff*)

I figure he'll show up come finale time, but until then I probably won't bother watching. Here's hoping we get a Ghost Rider spinoff in the near future - they took Peggy and Jarvis away from me, the very least they can do is give me Ghost Rider instead.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I always have a little hope a Koenig will show up because I am an optimistic creature.  Has there been a Koenig in any of the movies? 

No, not in any that I've seen.  I would love it if there was one.

No, come back Robbie! Get your fiery ass out of Hell ASAP and come up here and be awesome! I really liked the Ghost Rider arc, and all the characters associated with it. I liked that they tied it into the Doctor Strange stuff, without making it too much of a cross over. I am all about having magic and supernatural stuff here, even if the characters continue to try to science away the more fantastical parts. I would love hearing them having to deal with Mephisto or someone. 

Speaking of no, I didn't want Aida to be evil. The "robot is created and is evil" thing has been done some many times now. Hell, it already happened in this universe! Right there with Mace on that one, does no one remember Ultron? We did this already. Oh well, Mallory Jensen is still great. 

Mace is a pretty kickass director. I am glad it seems like he and Coulson are on the same page now, and he is more or less on the up and up. He`s an interesting character. He might be a bit shady, but he seems to have good intentions, and while he is a big PR guy who knows how to work the press, he really is a good leader who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty. Good on you, Mace. 

• Love 4

I feel just a little shortchanged, honestly.  What was the point of the twist of making Eli the main villain of the arc if the heroes couldn't actually fight him?  I was looking forward to Coulson, May, Mack, and Elena going up against him, not his goons.

That aside, it was a pretty decent finale.  Didn't expect the final May twist and look forward to seeing it play out.  And thank God we're only waiting till next month for that arc to kick off.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Speaking of no, I didn't want Aida to be evil. The "robot is created and is evil" thing has been done some many times now. Hell, it already happened in this universe! Right there with Mace on that one, does no one remember Ultron? We did this already. Oh well, Mallory Jensen is still great. 

I agree with this. I mean, I am glad for another female villain, at least. So many shows have the villains all male except for maybe one guest star villain (aka all the CW superhero shows, sans Supergirl). It's nice to have some more female villains, especially on this show. But we have heard it all before and all we're going to get is another "are machines or men the evil ones" crisis. 

10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

No, come back Robbie! Get your fiery ass out of Hell ASAP and come up here and be awesome! I really liked the Ghost Rider arc, and all the characters associated with it. I liked that they tied it into the Doctor Strange stuff, without making it too much of a cross over. I am all about having magic and supernatural stuff here, even if the characters continue to try to science away the more fantastical parts. I would love hearing them having to deal with Mephisto or someone. 

I feel the same way. Since Bobbi and Hunter left, it's been Robbie to fill the New Team Member quota and he was doing well with the arc he was given. He'll be back by the end of the season, possibly sooner, but I'm not sure if they're going to keep him around after that. 

Also, as someone who hasn't watched Doctor Strange yet, I appreciate that I can still follow along without getting spoiled. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Michel said:

I feel just a little shortchanged, honestly.  What was the point of the twist of making Eli the main villain of the arc if the heroes couldn't actually fight him?  I was looking forward to Coulson, May, Mack, and Elena going up against him, not his goons.

That aside, it was a pretty decent finale.  Didn't expect the final May twist and look forward to seeing it play out.  And thank God we're only waiting till next month for that arc to kick off.

I see it the other way. While from the previous episodes tag I was expecting Robbie and Mac to go ghost riding I was disappointed that the big finale of Ghost Rider was him pinned to a wall  being dragged to hell with us afraid of him of setting off a nuke. It was SHIELD working behind the scenes, undercover with the Aida technology which fought Uncle Eli until the last killing move by Ghost Rider. I think that Daisy's holding open the portal to Maveth was better acted and shot then her controlling the earthquakes made by Eli's magic in this one.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Raja said:

I see it the other way. While from the previous episodes tag I was expecting Robbie and Mac to go gjost riding I was disappointed that the big finale of Ghost Rider was him pinned to a wall  being dragged to hell with us afraid of him of setting off a nuke. It ws SHIELD working behind the scenes, undercover with the Aida technology which fought Uncle Eli until the last killing move by Ghost Rider.

Yes, but they didn't fight Eli himself, is what I meant.  He had these amazing new powers, and they didn't get a single one of them used on them.  Would've been nice to see at least some form of battle against those powers of his.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode.  Completely surprised by the May twist.  I hope the real May is still alive.  I can't imagine them killing her and replacing her with an android permanently.

I liked Mace in his armour suit and using his super strength powers, it would be nice for him to be in the field with the team more.  He can just explain his super strength as coming from the suit.

I like Yo Yo and I want her to be on the team permanently.  This show is supposed to be in the superhero universe, we need more people with super powers on this show on a regular basis.  Her taking away of guns and whatnot during the fight was cool, although it seemed like a complete ripoff of the Fox X-Men Quicksilver.

Whatever happened to the guy who was encased in the Terrigenic statue?  I know they referred to him in this episode, but was there any mention as to his fate?  Did he get out of the statue?  What are his powers?

Also, another random question.... way back in Season 1, we got introduced to Franklin Hall, who comic fans know as Graviton.  He got sucked into that whatever and in one very last scene, we saw a hand coming out of that whatever.  Did they ever resolve this or was it a dropped plot point?  Or did that get combined with the monolith and the Hive storyline?

16 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I enjoyed this episode.  Completely surprised by the May twist.  I hope the real May is still alive.  I can't imagine them killing her and replacing her with an android permanently.

I liked Mace in his armour suit and using his super strength powers, it would be nice for him to be in the field with the team more.  He can just explain his super strength as coming from the suit.

I like Yo Yo and I want her to be on the team permanently.  This show is supposed to be in the superhero universe, we need more people with super powers on this show on a regular basis.  Her taking away of guns and whatnot during the fight was cool, although it seemed like a complete ripoff of the Fox X-Men Quicksilver.

Whatever happened to the guy who was encased in the Terrigenic statue?  I know they referred to him in this episode, but was there any mention as to his fate?  Did he get out of the statue?  What are his powers?

They don't have to explain his strength he is out of the closet as an Inhuman, if that's what he actually is. The armor after standing up to Ghost Rider's punches with no physical effects done to him was basically PR to make him look like a new Captain America.

They went too much like Quicksilver and The Flash with Yo-yo. Why outrun explosions instead of snapping back to her starting point like a yo-yo? 

The Inhuman brother of the anti Inhuman Senator is probably part of the second half season 

• Love 1

Why outrun explosions instead of snapping back to her starting point like a yo-yo

I was confused by this too. The way her power worked in the past, she would have just slinged back to where she was before she ran. Which would have put her well in the clear of the fire. Obviously they did it for special effects and to show her get injured, but it shouldn't happened that way based on her powers have been set up.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, blueray said:

I was confused by this too. The way her power worked in the past, she would have just slinged back to where she was before she ran. Which would have put her well in the clear of the fire. Obviously they did it for special effects and to show her get injured, but it shouldn't happened that way based on her powers have been set up.

I want to think that that's what she actually did, she just snapped back to her original point.  But because they slowed it down for viewer's benefit to show what was happening, they showed that she actually does run/snap back to her original point, it's just that normally she does it so fast that it looks like it is instantaneous?

• Love 4