Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, FizzyPuff said:

Facebook asks for photo id if your account gets disabled,of course you don’t have to go back on it though. I wonder if they do the same for official accounts celebrities etc.

Wasn’t Joy the one who admitted she questioned her parents faith and Joe brought her back into the fold? I’d love to know what Joe said to her, from the outside looking in anyone can see there in a cult, (Well not straight away they’re good at hiding their beliefs, When I first saw the Duggars I thought they were a sweet weird religious family but I didn’t get cult vibes for a while)

I have no idea how she is considered the most conservative honestly because she follows the rules?

I think Austin is the most conservative husband, so by default Joy is conservative as well.

But I don't really think Joy gives anything deep thought. She's pretty easy going and likely believes anything Austin believes - just because. Not even in a Helpmeet kind of way. More in a Pollyanna kind of way.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Austin is the most conservative husband, so by default Joy is conservative as well.

But I don't really think Joy gives anything deep thought. She's pretty easy going and likely believes anything Austin believes - just because. Not even in a Helpmeet kind of way. More in a Pollyanna kind of way.

Yes, I don't think anyone could accuse Joy of overthinking anything.  She seems perfectly willing to let her husband do all the thinking for both of them.  She isn't one to question what she is told.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Joy's 'crisis of faith' was probably something stupid like she wanted to hang out with her brothers rather than her sisters because she had more interests in common.  Or she mentioned that she'd like to wear pants when working on cars or hunting because it seemed more practical.  I seriously doubt she had any deep thoughts about any of the tenets of their faith.

• Love 20

When did Joy have her crisis of faith?

I don't think Joy is very bright, but that doesn't preclude her from having a more general crisis of faith along the lines of "Why does God let bad things happen to me/my family?" I know people of a wide range of intelligences, both smart and not-so-smart from better and worse families, who have grappled with the same question. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Joy had her crisis of faith when the molestation scandals came to light or as some form of fall-out over what her brother did to her when she was a small child, especially since what he did to her seemed to be one of the biggest escalations (in her age, in his action, and in the setting). 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Yes, I don't think anyone could accuse Joy of overthinking anything.  She seems perfectly willing to let her husband do all the thinking for both of them.  She isn't one to question what she is told.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Joy's 'crisis of faith' was probably something stupid like she wanted to hang out with her brothers rather than her sisters because she had more interests in common.  Or she mentioned that she'd like to wear pants when working on cars or hunting because it seemed more practical.  I seriously doubt she had any deep thoughts about any of the tenets of their faith.

Yes, my thoughts too.

If it makes people feel better I think this is 100% of a business decision by the Forsyths. Parler is the hot new social media platform and among the people who follow the Duggars it's especially the Big New Thing. Joy's trying to get more followers to shill for ... whatever it is she shills for. I know the Duggar sibs like many so-called influencers get lots of gifts from fans. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

If it makes people feel better I think this is 100% of a business decision by the Forsyths. Parler is the hot new social media platform and among the people who follow the Duggars it's especially the Big New Thing. Joy's trying to get more followers to shill for ... whatever it is she shills for. I know the Duggar sibs like many so-called influencers get lots of gifts from fans. 

Maybe . . .

• Love 1
On 11/10/2020 at 5:40 PM, riverblue22 said:

I won't be learning first hand how outrageous Parler discussions are, but I'd love for that stuff to disappear from my FB feed.  Apparently censorship is not a thing at Parler so they are free to say and incite anything.  I am disappointed in Joy.

Knowing what a limited exposure to knowledge Joy has had and how stunted her upbringing, I'm discouraged for what that means as far as a future for her children.      

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

Not really. We knew the Duggars had abhorrent beliefs but this is basically in your face now. 

Also basically confirms with Joy the lights are on but no one is at home. 

• Love 10

Cults, like Gothard or Scientology, are really based in conspiracy theory. The teachings of Gothard are very conservative. So I think 'just-living-life' Joy, with a Fundy upbringing and a full-in husband, would follow anything that was close to the narrative they live by. I'm guessing Austin thrives on anything that is anti-mainstream and would prefer to preach to the choir, rather than get shut down by haters.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Not really. We knew the Duggars had abhorrent beliefs but this is basically in your face now. 

Also basically confirms with Joy the lights are on but no one is at home. 

As I previously mentioned, TLC needs to keep an eye on that site and what is posted.

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Growsonwalls said:

It depends on how Joy and Austin use it. If they use it just to shill mascara and whatever else they want to shill with discount codes then it might not hurt their brand. If they start getting sucked into the political discussions then ...

Yeah... This isn't the crowd to shill mascara too. I'm doubtful most companies would even allow it on that website. 

This is the kind of crowd that will send extremely explicit messages to Joy about what they think about doing to her and her infant daughter. She may not understand all of the things they describe but anyone who has been around the dark interwebs knows where this is going. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Yeah... This isn't the crowd to shill mascara too. I'm doubtful most companies would even allow it on that website. 

This is the kind of crowd that will send extremely explicit messages to Joy about what they think about doing to her and her infant daughter. She may not understand all of the things they describe but anyone who has been around the dark interwebs knows where this is going. 

I just did a bit more research on the site and apparently (as you mentioned) there are a lot of explicit sexual images and material popping up under almost every hashtag. I wonder how long Joy will stay! Josh may be interested in joining, though.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

I just did a bit more research on the site and apparently (as you mentioned) there are a lot of explicit sexual images and material popping up under almost every hashtag. I wonder how long Joy will stay! Josh may be interested in joining, though.

Haven't been there, but from what I've read, there's a lot of right wing politics.  Very right wing.  Like, very very right wing.  Don't know how much I should say here, but what I've read is far from benign.  If this crowd starts buying into what I've been reading, then I will no longer consider Joy and Austin to be dull and ignorant - I will consider them dull, ignorant and dangerous.  

• Love 8

It is a good move for Joy to be on Parler, given their fan base. I haven't been on it, so I don't know what it's like. I stopped reading Facebook or Twitter because things got so nasty on both sides, and that was with Admins censoring and taking things down. So I can't imagine what a free for all with no filter will be like. I've basically given up on all social media except Instagram. But I assume a lot of Duggar fans will be on Parler and the Twitter equivalent (Mewe or something??). A lot of my conservative friends are joining it. I hope the Duggars don't go on there and prove themselves to be truly horrible or anything. 

• Love 3

If you are on that website I automatically consider you horrible and dangerous. It's a cesspool of hate.

Good to know. I think the moderator moved this discussion over to the small talk thread.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Kellyee said:

It is a good move for Joy to be on Parler, given their fan base. I haven't been on it, so I don't know what it's like. I stopped reading Facebook or Twitter because things got so nasty on both sides, and that was with Admins censoring and taking things down. So I can't imagine what a free for all with no filter will be like. I've basically given up on all social media except Instagram. But I assume a lot of Duggar fans will be on Parler and the Twitter equivalent (Mewe or something??). A lot of my conservative friends are joining it. I hope the Duggars don't go on there and prove themselves to be truly horrible or anything. 

I hope they do prove themselves to be truly horrible so that TLC will finally cancel them.

• Love 16

Judging from the comments on Joy's IG posts, it seems as if going on Parler is an example of misunderstanding your brand. I think the Duggar girls mostly attract white, conservative, middle-aged women who like the sight of plenty of cute baby pix. It's my understanding that the parler crowd is quite different -- very male-dominated, hard-edged, and I don't see many of them swiping up for a mascara discount code. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

As I understand, he's already there. So is Anna.

• Useful 3
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Whatever the hell that means.. 

I’m guessing it means planned time for sex. Austin’s probably grumpy not getting enough because of joy being busy with the baby and she had to do her godly duty. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I think it means Joy (and/or Austin) realized a second kid can often be a shock to the family dynamics. Much more so than new parents plan for. I'm impressed she gets it and is being intentional in addressing it. IMO, adjusting to the second child is the hardest because the changes are usually unexpected. With the first kid, you know things will be different and with any kids after the second, the expectations are more realistic.

Joy didn't grow up with any real schedules. We saw this play out with Jill and her struggle adjusting to the two boys. And although we only see the pretty side of Jessa and her kids, its obvious she still hasn't figured it out.

I'm guessing Joy and Austin are structuring their days and planning in some fun moments too, rather then throwing a carrot at a hungry child or watching their kid fall asleep eating a box of crackers.

Evy is old enough to nudge nursing on demand to nursing on a schedule and Joy could get Giddy taking his nap during at least one of Evy's naps. Its amazing how life gets so much easier when everyone's on the same page and kids feel way more settled unknowingly knowing what comes next.

Just to be clear I'm not talking about military style structure, but more of a family groove, when the baby takes a morning nap, both take afternoon naps, lunch happens sometime during the noon hour, dinner happens around the same time each day, as does the kids bedtime, etc. 

Something Jessa might want to try before number four comes along.

In our first home, baby #2's bedroom was near the living room. So we put an old black and white TV in the kitchen and #1 watched Gumby during #2's morning nap. Number one would start singing the Gumby song at almost the same time each morning anticipating the show. Funny aside, Baby #1 must not have paid attention to the words in the song, because after watching the show in black and white, he was quite surprised upon getting a Gumby, that Gumby was green.

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
On 11/14/2020 at 5:15 PM, satrunrose said:

Hmmm the pictures are cute, but the caption is interesting given recent rumours.

What recent rumors? Are Joy and Austin supposedly having marriage trouble, or is Joy experiencing PPD, or is there something else? 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

What recent rumors? Are Joy and Austin supposedly having marriage trouble, or is Joy experiencing PPD, or is there something else? 

I think people were speculating that they were having marriage trouble and possibly even getting divorced, which some websites picked up and reprinted. If I'm not mistaken, Joy directly addressed the rumors in one of her own posts with a very direct "No, we're not." (Which of course doesn't mean they're not having problems.) It wouldn't surprise me, if at the very least, the baby has changed the family dynamic way more than they were expecting.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

As I recall, people saw pics of Joy not wearing her wedding ring (just her engagement ring I think) and that's what started the rumors.  Which is a completely stupid basis for speculation based on the other things she posts.  Gossips look for gossip.

• Love 4

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve hit some bumps. Losing a child can be the end of a marriage. Then, add in a new baby, and there’s a lot of stresses on them. I certainly don’t think they are headed for a divorce, but I can see Joy (and Austin) realizing that their marriage needs time and attention too. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

From my experience, the change from one child to two was a big one. Bigger than we thought. And my older child was almost 4 at the time.

I can't imagine how it is when the first child is so young as Gideon and still very much needs all the attention.

Regarding the no ring in the picture,maybe her fingers were swallen

• Love 6

I was scrolling through my fb page, not really paying attention to the ads and clickbait until I saw one--about things they do in Sweden, but with a picture of Joy and Gideon. Joy was big pregnant with Evelyn, Gideon was down at her feet, and it was a picture posted on here. It kind of freaked me out, because the picture had nothing to do with the Duggars and the caption on the picture said something to the effect,  texting to see if Sweden approves of my baby name. I don't know how to screenshot on my phone,  but that's why these numbnuts shouldn't be posting their pics like they do.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, beckie said:

I was scrolling through my fb page, not really paying attention to the ads and clickbait until I saw one--about things they do in Sweden, but with a picture of Joy and Gideon. Joy was big pregnant with Evelyn, Gideon was down at her feet, and it was a picture posted on here. It kind of freaked me out, because the picture had nothing to do with the Duggars and the caption on the picture said something to the effect,  texting to see if Sweden approves of my baby name. I don't know how to screenshot on my phone,  but that's why these numbnuts shouldn't be posting their pics like they do.

When Mommy Blogs were extremely popular several of the more experienced blog mommies put watermarks across their children's faces to ensure the photos weren't used outside of their blogs.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2