Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: It's Worse Than We Thought

CofCinci
  • Start Topic

6 minutes ago, lightbeam said:

Can we not call the guy "Fat Tony?" It's really mean and he's practically a kid. I'm not a fan of Tony, but it's not nice to call him that. I would never want anyone to call Janelle "Fat Janelle," or give anyone that nickname, for that matter.

I thought it was a Simpson's reference. 

• Love 10
46 minutes ago, notnowimbusy said:

I can't wait for Kody to see Tony's comments about a home equity loan (what equity???).      How is it Mykelti is dating this guy for 5 months and they are completely unaware?  

The Browns were tweeting last night that Tony was just joking about the loan. And they are lying about being unaware of Tony (or at least Christine is, Kody is always unaware of everything around him). Tony had been over to Christine's several times for dinner prior to the "ask for her hand" meeting. Christine may have been unaware how deeply in love they were but she knew about him.

• Love 1

I wish you guys had warned me this was a TWO hour show.  Yikes!  I got through the Mykelti part but I'm gonna have to take a break before I watch the Meri and Kody show.

If my daughter brought Tony home I would have a fit.  Then I would try to find another shiny object to interest her.  How about a trip to Europe? Or maybe you could go visit cousin Donna in San Diego and get a little job and see how you like the Cali lifestyle?  Just about anything to end that mess of an engagement.  I'm sorry, I just didn't see any of this guy's greatest qualities.  Neither of these kids have a clue about life.  And Mykelti will probably want to keep up with Maddie and get pregnant right away.  

Robyn's best days are very obviously behind her.

Premarital sex is a great invention!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Regarding discussion of TLC paying for all the weddings.  I don't think so.

Used to be, the Browns would rent multiple RVs and drive across the country (with Kody and the wife-du-jour shacking up in a nearby hotel).  Lots of trips to places no one else wants to go.

Then came the Hawaii trip.  They stayed at a "retreat center" . . . at about 10% of the cost of what real hotels would have cost them.  Their "luau" had one guy playing a ukelele during their picnic dinner.  All looked pretty cheap-o.

Maddie's wedding seemed very nice, if not terribly expensive.  TLC will contribute less (if any) to subsequent weddings, because they won't be the "FIRST.  BROWN. CHILD. GETTING. MARRIED."

From this point on, less time and money will be spent on the kids' weddings.  

Until Mariah gets married.  At Westminster Abbey.  With the pope officiating.  (Or that's what Kody will try to pull off.)  Because . . . Mariah.

Co-sign.  It's not that TLC pays for the weddings and trips per se, but everything revolves around the season narratives, which, of course, are planned in advance of filming.  Maddie was lucky in that she got engaged first, so her wedding planning got picked as a major storyline for the season.  So while I don't think TLC is paying for the wedding, they are undoubtedly paying for parts of it (ie. the planning).  For ex., the whole family wouldn't have schlepped over 100 miles for the cake testing if it hadn't been arranged/paid for by the show for last night's episode. 

Poor Mykelti doesn't get this.  She and FT probably saw the excitement and activity around Maddie and Caleb's engagement, and thought they'd get the same thing.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, LotusFlower said:

Poor Mykelti doesn't get this.  She and FT probably saw the excitement and activity around Maddie and Caleb's engagement, and thought they'd get the same thing.

Yep, this looked like a good thing to get in on.   FT wants to have sex , on a regular basis, and might as well have a big televised wedding too.    Both of them are too immature to get married, but like everyone in the Brown family, this won't stop them.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I can't figure out what her motivation is, and I'm not sure if it's because this was all scripted for drama or what. Not showing any convo with Maddie is suspicious. The "I'm safe with him" comments are pretty interesting and that's what I'm pondering at this point.

I thought it was pretty revealing that Mykelti said she wanted to marry this guy because he makes her "feel safe," and he'll "always be there for her" and "support her."  In fact, the first thing she said was that "he won't hurt her."  She said this looking straight at her father.  I think it's pretty obvious that the girls grew up seeing their selfish father hurt and abandon their always-present mothers, and they want the opposite of that.  But Kody being Kody, this went right over his head, and he made Tony promise to not discourage their kids against polygamy. 

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 13
5 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Maddie was bugging me a little with her constant comments about her husband being redneck, and some of the cake and wedding ideas "too redneck". Caleb looks like an outdoor type of guy that probably likes to hunt and fish and would probably be perfectly happy living in a cabin in the woods some day so she needs to lay off of those comments. And since when did she become so high and mighty? Maddie, honey, you come from a family of grifters so settle yourself down. 

When Maddie kept calling Caleb a redneck, I was thinking she better better shut her mouth considering she's a (now) pregnant teenage bride who dropped out of school to marry someone she's related to. The only way to make that more redneck would be to slap an NRA sticker on her ass as she walked down the aisle.

Then I realized she wasn't 19 like I thought, not that 20-21 is all that much better in this scenario.

• Love 18
23 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Tony is a meathead. If my daughter dragged this oaf home and proceeded to tell me that after dating 5 months, she's ready to marry him, and plus I can take out a second mortgage on my house to pay for a stupid wedding, I think I would probably drive them to elope. I would get that mad and yelly. I was flabbergasted at this guys' nerve. Relax. You can wait a year before you start letting me know how I can pay for your party. Ugh. And he was inarticulate in professing his love for mykelti. You would think the dumb ape would have something nice planned to say to the parents of the girl whose hand he was asking for. I was underwhelmed by him, by his arrogance, by his pushyness. 

Yeah, I'm kind of shocked after watching the whole show to know that both girls are the same age. I can't imagine being a parent and being okay with a five month dating relationship turning into a wedding so quickly, especially if I felt the daughter was so impulsive she'd leap into marriage because her sister was ahead of her. 

I found myself rooting for Kody to run him off. And asking her to slow down seemed reasonable to me. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I don't know anything about the broken engagement but I'm sure there is a story there.

Just my opinion, but I don't get any vibe from Mykelti that she wanted to steal Maddie's thunder in any way, unless it was a subconscious nod to what her "mothers" are always doing to get attention. She doesn't strike me as mean that way. I can't figure out what her motivation is, and I'm not sure if it's because this was all scripted for drama or what. Not showing any convo with Maddie is suspicious. The "I'm safe with him" comments are pretty interesting and that's what I'm pondering at this point.

I agree.   The 'I feel safe' comment is a catch phrase currently having nothing to do with actual physical safety.  It is just a way to say, I feel close and trust him with my heart, blah blah....

• Love 1

I don't know who is really footing the bill for Maddie's wedding.  But with 18 kids, no one realized "hey, if we do this for one child, we have to do the same thing for the next child?"  Maddie is the first wedding so she gets the trimmings.  By wedding number 3 or 4, they will be having bolgna sandwiches on a picnic blanket. 

Mykelti and Tony are obviously too immature to be married but it must be very hurtful to have your parents fussing over one daughter getting married and everyone frowning at your wedding plans.  Mykelti doesn't realize that they are immature...all she sees is "unfair treatment".  That won't end well.

Aren't Mykelti and Maddie the same age?  

• Love 15

Maddie seems to be more mature & settled, and will most likely be the first to produce a grandchild.   Mykelti  is playing catch up - has settled for a December wedding (no outdoor, in a park which she wanted).     Not being filmed like Maddie's.)   My bet is Logan will marry and the whole family will rally round to celebrate - making Mykelti feeling more an outsider.   Seems to me that Mykelti is desperately trying to find a place to belong, and unfortunately she jumped at her first chance.    I get the impression FT wanted to be a big part of the TLC extravaganza, but sadly they just aren't worth the money. 

• Love 3

I have to agree with Kody and Christine. I can see why Christine has a bad feeling about this. She should trust her instincts and say they won't be paying for a wedding. That can't happen now because Kodouche went ahead and gave the "blessing" but he's still right in saying that they should wait. This has nothing to do with their favorite child although I acknowledge the fact that Maddie is the fave and her fiance is the epitome of perfection in the family's eyes. It's just not practical to pay for two weddings at the same time. I'd love to pay for my daughter's wedding but if they won't work with me on the date then I may not be able to. If Mykelti and slimy tony are that horny then they should go ahead and elope and stop trying to selfishly milk her parents.

I do believe that this is Mykelti wanting to steal the attention from Maddie or at least prove that she's important too. Why? Because she is extremely immature. I understand the sibling rivalry and I understand her motivation and sympathize with it to an extent. But sorry. The truth has to be told to the child. no matter how much it hurts now, she will thank them later or at least acknowledge that they were right when she ends up in a divorce or seriously unhappy.

I hate Mykelti's sound bites in that super soft voice of hers about how wonderful and safe she feels with Tony and how he's shown her a whole new world. Gag. 

I watched the home equity loan part again and he WAS NOT joking. 

Kody should have trusted Christine's bad feeling. There's something to be said about a mother's instinct. He should have said no to the blessing and let them get married using their own funds. They keep saying, "This is heavy and I don't know why." That's called instinct dumb ass. You're supposed to trust it. 

Mykelti's decision to wed Tony shows she is very immature and just wants to be married. She's out of his league. There's no reason for her to choose him after only 5 months. It makes no sense. Face it. She's trying to out-do Maddie. She should have picked a different guy. 

Almost forgot, I couldn't stand it when she said, "Your little girl is growing up", when she told Christine about it in Hawaii. No, dear. You grow up first and then you get married. Not the other way around. What a brat.

i don't agree with Kody's friends.And I don't agree that all the kids are close in age so they should expect all will probably get married at almost the same time. The brother is the oldest and has been in a relationship and is smart enough to not rush it and also knows that if they want everyone to be excited about his engagement, he probably shouldn't spring it on everyone during Maddie's wedding planning when everyone is already stressed.

Im also sick of hearing parents say that if they don't pay for a wedding it will cause division and the brats will be so upset they may not talk to the parents. I know parents who didn't approve of a marriage and didn't pay for it and guess what? The kids came back to the cash cow anyway. 

• Love 9
17 minutes ago, notnowimbusy said:

Maddie seems to be more mature & settled, and will most likely be the first to produce a grandchild.   Mykelti  is playing catch up - has settled for a December wedding (no outdoor, in a park which she wanted).     Not being filmed like Maddie's.)   My bet is Logan will marry and the whole family will rally round to celebrate - making Mykelti feeling more an outsider.   Seems to me that Mykelti is desperately trying to find a place to belong, and unfortunately she jumped at her first chance.    I get the impression FT wanted to be a big part of the TLC extravaganza, but sadly they just aren't worth the money. 

Maddie is already pregnant, looks to be about 5 months along.

10 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I REALLY wish that Kody and the mothers would have said look Mykelti we cannot afford another wedding that soon after Madison's.  You can either get a similar wedding in December or we can pay for a justice of the peace with a buffet at Circus Circus for 5 of your best friends if you want it in August.

But Tony said no to a backyard wedding, so sadly the cul de sac  is out. 

I feel a little bad for Tony.  I think he's a young, naive kid who's in way over his head, but doesn't realize it.  I believe this comment about the home equity loan was just his sheltered, ignorant response and he didn't realize the ramifications for what was said.  He probably thought it would be so cool to be on camera and found himself very ill at ease.  Now he is getting hammered not only for his ignorant remarks, but for his appearance.

I agree. Why is it okay to fat shame Tony? If it were the other way around and people were calling Mykelti "Fat Mykelti", everyone would be up in arms having a fit about it. 

• Love 5

Late to the party. I have too many other things on my DVR to get to this right away. Sorry, Browns, you're just not that interesting. 

I have to say, I'm kind of with Jenelle on Mykelti waiting until they're done with Maddie's wedding to start planning hers. That is, if she wants the help/money/etc. That's just asking a lot, to plan two weddings back to back essentially. But if she just wants to elope or go to the justice of the peace, have at it!

I'm not one to judge people on rushing into things. I moved in with my husband (across the entire country) after just 4 months of dating. We've now been together almost 11 years, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Sometimes you just know. Other times you are behaving impulsively because you want to get away from life as you know it. I know Maddie and Mykelti are the same age, but I see them so differently. There's a calmness and thoughtfulness about Maddie. Mykelti just seems like she wants to frighten her parents and, at the same time, have the attention her sister is getting. I don't know, I could be wrong. But Tony came across as a very mature 22-year-old as well. 

I did appreciate how Kody was about it, though. Trying to stop them isn't going to get you anywhere. He knew that, so he consented, but tried to bargain with them about time. We all know these strict fundie types rush because they can't wait to have sex. LOL! Okay, not all the time, but it happens a lot. 

So Meri asked Kody not to stay the house any more. But then she wants to complain about the state of their relationship. Look, I think Kody is a major douche and has probably called his wives a lot of emotional turmoil over the years. But she signed up for this. IMO, she basically ran off to have an affair and was ready to bail on the family until she realized her great love was a crazy chick in disguise. Now she wants everything back the way it was, but she can't undo what has been done. Sorry, Meri, but you made your bed. 

Was it just me, or was Robyn absent a lot this episode? Not that I'm complaining, but was she even in any of the couch sessions talking about Maddie and Mykelti? 

• Love 7

I realize Fat Tony is a Simpson's reference, but in my humble opinion, it's mean spirited and it's aimed at someone who is pretty young.  I'm not saying he's a gem, but he is a human being and I would imagine hearing he's being called that would be incredibly upsetting to him.  I really feel it's way past the line --- again, in my opinion.  I still don't think the loan comment was a joke, but knowing he works in a bank makes me think a young naive guy hears people taking out equity loans all the time like it's no big deal so he thinks it's not big deal.  Again, this highlights one of the many reasons these two should wait to be married.  They have lots of growing up to do.

• Love 9
On 11/27/2016 at 7:56 PM, Cherrio said:

I really do NOT like this boyfriend.   There is something creepy about him.

I do not get the attraction Mykelti would have for him.

On 11/27/2016 at 8:09 PM, Awfarmington said:

Take out a loan against his house?! I'm  surprised he didn't suggest Kody sell his plasma. 

My take was that he wanted time to recover for non monetary reasons. And the fact that Tony immediately assumed it was money related was a red flag and also makes him look like an entitled snow flake. At that very moment, is when I made up my mind that I already hate Tony. Caleb looks 100x better for son in law potential. 

On 11/27/2016 at 9:32 PM, toodles said:

I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I enjoyed this episode.  That Tony is a piece of work.  I laughed when he said kody can just take out a loan against his house.  You know, a home equity loan.  Talk about misjudging a situation. I'm sure he thinks he hit the jackpot.  Mykelti can barely tolorate her dad.  Tony makes BIn seewald-duggar look like a Rhodes scholar.  

And what was the deal with kody never involved in wedding planning.  Didn't kody pick Robyn's wedding dress?  

On 11/27/2016 at 10:08 PM, VedaPierce said:

Tony is a meathead. If my daughter dragged this oaf home and proceeded to tell me that after dating 5 months, she's ready to marry him, and plus I can take out a second mortgage on my house to pay for a stupid wedding, I think I would probably drive them to elope. I would get that mad and yelly. I was flabbergasted at this guys' nerve. Relax. You can wait a year before you start letting me know how I can pay for your party. Ugh. And he was inarticulate in professing his love for mykelti. You would think the dumb ape would have something nice planned to say to the parents of the girl whose hand he was asking for. I was underwhelmed by him, by his arrogance, by his pushyness. 

I was galled by how entitled, arrogant, demanding, delusional, and presumptuous both Tony and Mykelti were during this episode. I haven't watched this show in a few years, but I got sucked back in by my wife. Personally, if it were me and I saw their Talking Head segments, I'd turn around and tell them they aren't getting one red cent from me. I can't believe that they think it's such a simple matter to just take out a home equity loan on a (the?) house(s). As soon as you do that, your house becomes an attachable asset for debt recovery. And for them to act like they get to expect her parents to foot the bill and then dictate an earlier date than they're being told her parents can afford and take the position that her parents had better do whatever it takes to afford said wedding .... it made me both sick and angry; angry enough to want to punch them both in the head through the TV.

On 11/27/2016 at 8:12 PM, Granny58 said:

So Kody thinks he's a pro since he has 80 years of marriage experience.  But he doesn't realize his wives are miserable and his children all shun his lifestyle.  So maybe he shouldn't brag about his experience.

On 11/27/2016 at 9:45 PM, BradandJanet said:

The elephant on the patio in the Kody and Meri conversation is that Kody divorced Meri to marry Robyn, and Meri was hurt. While Meri is being publicly raked over the coals for her catfishing folly, he'll never admit he dumped her to marry his favorite young thing. I truly believe this is what he did. He is covered by their religion and doesn't have to take the blame for anything that goes on in this dysfunctional group. Meri will be punished as long as she stays. I don't especially like Meri, but I loathe Kody. 

Man, oh man. This really got me on my soapbox last night. It's a good thing for me that my wife loves me and is patient. Sure, he's got 80 years of marital experience, except that almost none of those years are quality and the ones that are are so far in the past as to not count. The fact he doesn't know his wives at all, has no empathy for them, and is completely insensitive to their needs astounds me repeatedly - and my wife has to remind me every time that with four wives there's no time for him to actually get to know them. The guy has completely forgotten that he's supposed to be their protector against the world and provide a safe and soft place to fall for them. He's so focused on what he wants and needs, when he should be focused on what they want and need; do that and your wants and needs will magically be met by your wives and you won't even have to focus on it.

As for him divorcing Meri to marry Robyn, it's clear that part of it was because she was the hot new "trophy wife", but it's also clear that it was mostly a tactical decision. It made it easier for him to adopt her children and to ensure they had whatever medical coverage he could offer available to them and stuff like that. Still, the fact is that even if it were a purely tactical decision, Meri was going to be hurt over it. On top of all that, he's failed to understand that Meri has only one child and that child is already grown and off to college. That makes her an "empty nester" and is going to leave her feeling like she's got no role in the family. He needs to pay more attention to her and spend more time with her because of this. Since he's an idiot and a moron, he can't process all that information to arrive at that conclusion. Likely, he can't even perceive all that information in order to attempt to reach a conclusion. I don't feel bad for him whatever ill consequences he suffers. It shouldn't be this difficult to figure out that you need to be able to communicate freely with your wife, be sensitive to her needs, have empathy for her, be someone she can count on when the chips are down, and spend time with her in order to maintain both the friendship and romance that marriage is built upon.

• Love 13

I could not watch the whole thing because amorphous Tony made me turn the set off. I did love the crackling tension around the discussion of "our first monogamous marriage" and Meri saying "not the first". Followed by very awkward laughter. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, MsTree said:

I agree. Why is it okay to fat shame Tony? If it were the other way around and people were calling Mykelti "Fat Mykelti", everyone would be up in arms having a fit about it. 

I wouldn't. I don't like seeing young people that fat and out of shape. Makes me think they are lazy. It's becoming an epidemic in our country. Don't even get me started, that's another entire topic. 

• Love 5
19 hours ago, MV713 said:

It was very telling when one of the wives on the couch said they had never planned a "monogamous wedding" before and Meri jumped in with "yes we did, mine and Kody!"  Makes me think that she entered her marriage at the young age expecting to be the only wife. 

Either that or she was sure she could change him. Gee, that misconception never came up with young brides, right?

• Love 2

The moment I heard that home equity loan comment I knew it would draw maximum snark.  In fact, it may be the most snarkworthy comment I have ever heard on any show!  Count the number of posts here!

I personally think Tony was not joking, because it came amidst a bunch of other self-entitled comments, proving he's just a dim bulb jerk.  Plus, we viewers are aware of the irony that Kodoofus has no home equity and has overborrowed and overspent.  The producers must have been beside themselves with glee as soon as they heard this remark come out of Tony's mouth.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, taragel said:

Man, it must be so exhausting to be in this family. Everything they even attempt to discuss is coded and steeped in so much delusion it's beyond frustrating to even listen to.

He and Meri didn't divorce because they were struggling and had been for years but because of some ridiculous paranoia about adopting Robyn's kids immediately for their own protection.

Meri didn't pull away because she actually yearned for a monogamous relationship, but because she was bored/empty nest syndrome/she was finding herself.

Tony and Mykelti can't get married in August, not because they're too young, barely know each other, and are hopelessly immature, but because it might make Maddie upset (did anyone even think to tell Mykelti to just go talk to Maddie and see how she feels?) or wipe out Kody financially. (I fully expected that when Tony said there are ways around that, he was going to suggest they'd pay for a cheap wedding themselves. Nope. Home Equity Loan. LOL. Maybe it wasn't an intentional joke but it sure had me laughing. And if Kody was wracking his brain to figure out a way to slow them down, it never occurred to him to simply say honestly--"If you want to get married in August, you'll have to pay for it yourselves because I can't afford another wedding so soon after Maddie's. Wait till the spring (so Mykelti can have her green park), and I'll pay it for then." Problem solved.

I too think the "don't have sex until..." ship has already sailed. Mykelti is the most headstrong kid of all of them, she isn't waiting one second longer than she's willing. I also think she probably calls all the shots in her relationship with Tony. So Kody appealing to Tony to not have sex, to wait till December, to whatever whatever, is literally barking up the wrong tree. Mykelti is the one who will decide.

But anyway, that convo with Meri was the worst. She wanted to say so much that she felt she couldn't express. I don't think it was necessarily because of the cameras either. These people aren't used to having honest conversations. None of the wives feel they can express what they personally need and want because of Kody's baseline response that anything said or done has to be for the good of the whole family not any one person (Everyone remembers Kody and Christine's horrible stone pile-building anniversary trip with their therapist in tow, right?)  Which is, of course, bullshit if he's the one person who wants something.

And if it wasn't already clear, Kody's sheer terror at the idea of any kind of one-on-one intimacy with anyone (his wives, his kids, whoever) was on full display this episode. That coward was practically pleading with Meri not to make him talk about anything at all until he had buffer Nancy in the room. To be truly honest with anyone it would require him to be truly honest with himself first and I don't think he wants to do that at all. I think that's why polygamy was so appealing to him, he could surround himself with as many crowds as possible and never have to be alone with himself or delve into his own deluded brain.

He amazingly insists that if he doesn't acknowledge something (anything), it doesn't exist. Okay, sure. Let's see how that works with your mountains of debt when the show is over and the bank comes to repossess your homes. You can insist it didn't happen while you huddle under your cardboard box with your 14 or 15 kids (whoever hasn't escaped by then) on the side of the road.

THIS. 

• Love 1

I don't know. I see what everyone is saying when they agree that Mykelti should wait for Maddie to be done before getting engaged and married, but I can't help but wonder if people really would feel the same way if they liked Tony. There are a million reasons for Tony and Mykelti to wait so I don't agree with using Maddie's wedding as one of them. I can imagine that's what it's been their entire life. Sorry you want something - your sibling got there first so we don't care anymore. Or worse, as I suspect to be the case in this situation, TLC won't pay for your wedding if it's too soon after they are paying for Maddie so you're out of luck because we don't spend money on our kids unless TLC is footing the bill. 

Now sure, they acted like entitled brats but I never got the impression that Maddie offered or expected to help financially for her wedding either. I just wish they had really focused on the speed of the relationship, how they would support themselves, etc as the only concerns instead of basically telling her she can't have anything until they are done fawning over her sister. They have 17!kids for god's sake. There are going to be more than one major thing being planned at a time over the years. There are 5 supposed adults in the house. They can't do more than one thing at a time??

• Love 7
21 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I have to say, I'm kind of with Jenelle on Mykelti waiting until they're done with Maddie's wedding to start planning hers. That is, if she wants the help/money/etc. That's just asking a lot, to plan two weddings back to back essentially. But if she just wants to elope or go to the justice of the peace, have at it!

I'm not one to judge people on rushing into things. I moved in with my husband (across the entire country) after just 4 months of dating. We've now been together almost 11 years, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Sometimes you just know. Other times you are behaving impulsively because you want to get away from life as you know it. I know Maddie and Mykelti are the same age, but I see them so differently. There's a calmness and thoughtfulness about Maddie. 

I did appreciate how Kody was about it, though. Trying to stop them isn't going to get you anywhere. He knew that, so he consented, but tried to bargain with them about time.

So Meri asked Kody not to stay the house any more. But then she wants to complain about the state of their relationship. Look, I think Kody is a major douche and has probably called his wives a lot of emotional turmoil over the years. But she signed up for this. IMO, she basically ran off to have an affair and was ready to bail on the family until she realized her great love was a crazy chick in disguise. Now she wants everything back the way it was, but she can't undo what has been done. Sorry, Meri, but you made your bed. 

Bolding mine - I really think this is the root of it.  Mykelti is looking to escape something and I believe Kody and Christine both mentioned that in a talking head (too lazy to watch again for specifics).   Since they admit she has been "looking" for herself for so long, how about spend some time with her and help her?  Kody mentioned that she wanted to move to Seattle but that he didn't have the money for it....  Umm, I'm willing to bet he could have found it somewhere if she meant anything to him.  Perhaps Meri could have skipped a Disneyland or Hawaii trip?  SMH

Second - Completely agree with your comment about Meri!!  She created this mess and now wants everyone to "dill" with it and get over it.  Life doesn't work like that, that's not how any of this works!!  Her selfishness knows no bounds.

9 hours ago, Nowhere said:

It's just not practical to pay for two weddings at the same time. I'd love to pay for my daughter's wedding but if they won't work with me on the date then I may not be able to. If Mykelti and slimy tony are that horny then they should go ahead and elope and stop trying to selfishly milk her parents.

I watched the home equity loan part again and he WAS NOT joking. 

Kody should have trusted Christine's bad feeling. There's something to be said about a mother's instinct. He should have said no to the blessing and let them get married using their own funds. They keep saying, "This is heavy and I don't know why." That's called instinct dumb ass. You're supposed to trust it. 

Mykelti's decision to wed Tony shows she is very immature and just wants to be married.

Almost forgot, I couldn't stand it when she said, "Your little girl is growing up", when she told Christine about it in Hawaii. No, dear. You grow up first and then you get married. Not the other way around. What a brat.

Im also sick of hearing parents say that if they don't pay for a wedding it will cause division and the brats will be so upset they may not talk to the parents.

The sense of entitlement with these two immature kids is ridiculous.  It was  "I want a wedding in August, I want a wedding outdoors in a park - a GREEN park, I want, I want, I want."   I thought I was watching toddlers arguing over a toy at the store.....   And then Mykelti put the cherry on top by saying "I think it's silly that dad thinks 2 months isn't long enough to recuperate for another wedding.  Like, he doesn't need to sleep or rest for 2 months, that's silly.".   Seriously, Mykelti??   He's not referring to a nap, he's talking about PAYING for another wedding!!  Idiot.

9 hours ago, Marigold said:

Mykelti and Tony are obviously too immature to be married but it must be very hurtful to have your parents fussing over one daughter getting married and everyone frowning at your wedding plans.  Mykelti doesn't realize that they are immature...all she sees is "unfair treatment".  That won't end well.

Watching the body language and side eye from FT during a talking head, I swear he is manipulating Mykelti and egging on her feeling of being less than Maddie.   His comment  "I think it would have been cool for Mykelti to see her dad want to make it happen for her when she wanted it to happen, instead of when he wanted it to happen and making it happen on his time."  DUDE!!  If you are man enough to ask for her hand in marriage, you should be man enough to "make it happen" for her!!!

11 hours ago, Palomar said:

Exactly!  Mykelti and Tony have a right to get married when they want, but Kody and Christine have the right to say they can't afford it so soon after Maddy's wedding and that if they wait, they WILL be able to afford it next year.  Either they wait for a wedding paid by the parents when they can do it or pay for their own wedding now if they don't want to wait.  To assume parents should go into debt for a wedding is insane.  It is a gift when parents pay for their children's wedding and also should depend on what they are comfortable paying.  Maybe Mykelti and Tony should starting thinking more about how they can contribute $$$ to their own wedding and face a little reality. 

Sorry, but I'm with Kody and Christine on this one....if they can't wait, then they should finance their wedding on their own.  What is the friggin hurry?  Yeah, I know, the purity thing.  I'm seeing nothing but red flags on this relationship.

I couldn't help but wonder why Kody didn't ask what FT's parents were willing to kick in for the wedding.  Or what FT was willing to contribute towards the cost.  Their selfishness just proves their immaturity. 

I don't have a daughter, but if my son came to me with his gf of 5 months and demanded a wedding in a few months time he would get an earful from me and his dad.   Not happening.  If you are man enough to want to get married and begin life as an adult, then you shouldn't need me to make it happen.   That being said, we fully expect to contribute towards a wedding, but will not be told when it will happen and how we will pay for it.   My husband and I eloped because we had no money and neither did our families.  If it was good enough for us and they are in such a fucking rush it will be good enough for them.  You want a dream wedding and need my help to pay for it, you gonna do it on my financial timeline. 

Also - why didn't Kody ask any questions about how they will support themselves?  Kind of important stuff.

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

Watching the body language and side eye from FT during a talking head, I swear he is manipulating Mykelti and egging on her feeling of being less than Maddie.   His comment  "I think it would have been cool for Mykelti to see her dad want to make it happen for her when she wanted it to happen, instead of when he wanted it to happen and making it happen on his time."  DUDE!!  If you are man enough to ask for her hand in marriage, you should be man enough to "make it happen" for her!!!

I'm glad this was mentioned because I noticed the same thing. It was like he was putting her against her parents. I felt manipulation going on. I don't think Mykelti is capable of knowing what emotionally 'safe' is from her family life - she needs to get away on her own & experience life away from these people - all of them, so she can truly understand herself & what she really wants & needs. This guy is no good- she's running for sure, but in the wrong direction.

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I don't know. I see what everyone is saying when they agree that Mykelti should wait for Maddie to be done before getting engaged and married, but I can't help but wonder if people really would feel the same way if they liked Tony

I thought the same thing...especially if Logan and his girlfriend decide to get married a short while after Mykelti and all of a sudden, all five adults are whooping it up like they did when Maddie announced her engagement.

10 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

So much this.  But Tony is delusional if he somehow thinks he's going to be able to weasel some money out of his bride's family.  If he's pushing Mykelti to push Kody, there's just no point.  There's nothing to gain, unless he thinks he and Mykelti will be cashing big TLC checks for the next 10 years.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, MsTree said:

Well, I'm fat and I still referred to him as a "fat girly-man" last night when I couldn't remember his name after watching the episode. His voice and lack of enunciation drive me crazy.

18 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

Bolding mine - I really think this is the root of it.  Mykelti is looking to escape something and I believe Kody and Christine both mentioned that in a talking head (too lazy to watch again for specifics).   Since they admit she has been "looking" for herself for so long, how about spend some time with her and help her?  Kody mentioned that she wanted to move to Seattle but that he didn't have the money for it....  Umm, I'm willing to bet he could have found it somewhere if she meant anything to him.  Perhaps Meri could have skipped a Disneyland or Hawaii trip?  SMH

Second - Completely agree with your comment about Meri!!  She created this mess and now wants everyone to "dill" with it and get over it.  Life doesn't work like that, that's not how any of this works!!  Her selfishness knows no bounds.

The sense of entitlement with these two immature kids is ridiculous.  It was  "I want a wedding in August, I want a wedding outdoors in a park - a GREEN park, I want, I want, I want."   I thought I was watching toddlers arguing over a toy at the store.....   And then Mykelti put the cherry on top by saying "I think it's silly that dad thinks 2 months isn't long enough to recuperate for another wedding.  Like, he doesn't need to sleep or rest for 2 months, that's silly.".   Seriously, Mykelti??   He's not referring to a nap, he's talking about PAYING for another wedding!!  Idiot.

I couldn't help but wonder why Kody didn't ask what FT's parents were willing to kick in for the wedding.  Or what FT was willing to contribute towards the cost.  Their selfishness just proves their immaturity. 

I don't have a daughter, but if my son came to me with his gf of 5 months and demanded a wedding in a few months time he would get an earful from me and his dad.   Not happening.  If you are man enough to want to get married and begin life as an adult, then you shouldn't need me to make it happen.   That being said, we fully expect to contribute towards a wedding, but will not be told when it will happen and how we will pay for it.   My husband and I eloped because we had no money and neither did our families.  If it was good enough for us and they are in such a fucking rush it will be good enough for them.  You want a dream wedding and need my help to pay for it, you gonna do it on my financial timeline. 

Also - why didn't Kody ask any questions about how they will support themselves?  Kind of important stuff.

So much this! Perfectly stated. I'd give you more than one like, if I could.

• Love 9
19 hours ago, Granny58 said:

this reminds me of what I wanted to say.  So Tony is going to play Mr. Chivalry and ask for her hand, very old fashioned and respectful.  But the moment it doesn't turn out as he had imagined, it's mortgage the house and I won't wait forever???  It was all an act, he didn't respect the idea at all.  

Well, he did say that Mykelti told him he had to ask Kody for her hand in marriage. That doesn't mean I don't find the whole idea completely ridiculous and offensive. It's just that it probably didn't spring from the fat girly-man's tiny brain and instead came from his equally dim sex partner.

2 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

One more rant about FT.  In the talking head he also said "How do I say this in a good way? You're not getting married, it's us."   Yes asshole, it is YOU getting married.  So hows about you man up and make it happen?  

I said this to my wife, too, while we were watching. I don't think I've ever seen so much entitlement and immaturity on display at the same time, even when you count the times I've been around my 14 year old niece and 7 year old nephew.

• Love 4

Re expecting different reactions when Logan becomes engaged (which I fully  anticipate as well):

There undoubtedly will be heavy doses of favoritism in those responses. But the family also knows his girlfriend well, mostly thanks to their long relationship. And Logan is not Mykelti.

• Love 1

It always amuses me when someone justifies rushing into something because they "know it's right so why wait?" Unless you're getting deployed or terminally ill why NOT wait? Because sex? Go ahead and have sex (with protection!) Don't make this "eternal" decision so lightly. You have a whole life ahead. Realizing that is the mark of maturity. 

• Love 16
24 minutes ago, RealityCowgirl said:

Re expecting different reactions when Logan becomes engaged (which I fully  anticipate as well):

There undoubtedly will be heavy doses of favoritism in those responses. But the family also knows his girlfriend well, mostly thanks to their long relationship. And Logan is not Mykelti.

And Logan would be reasonable.  It's hard to believe Logan even comes from this family.

• Love 12
16 minutes ago, RealityCowgirl said:

I get that there is a difference between marrying a long term girlfriend that your family knows and wanting to marry a guy you've been seeing for 5 months when neither of you have a plan. But then focus on those issues. Don't talk about your other kid's wedding as being a priority. Talk about getting to know her boyfriend and his family. Talk about creating a long term plan for supporting themselves. Talk about the pitfalls to a quick marriage   Of course the biggest problem the Brown adults have with those kinds of conversations is that it's hard to preach what you don't practice. They don't plan. They don't work for anything. They are enormously entitled. So it's a tough order to talk through those kinds of issues with your child. 

The reality is that Kody doesn't care about any real issue related to Mykelti and Tony. He's about what works for him. If letting them marry quickly and extravagantly worked for him, i.e TLC was behind it, he'd do it. But either TLC won't pay for it or he wants to use the wedding for another season, hence the delay. It's never about what makes sense with Kody. I still maintain that a reponsible family with 17 kids decides before the first one gets married how much financial help they are going to be able to swing knowing they will have to do it 17 times. But it was Maddie and an approved boy so they didn't bother to think of what they would do down the road. They just spent on her - or they had TLC spend on her. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Zanne said:

When Maddie kept calling Caleb a redneck, I was thinking she better better shut her mouth considering she's a (now) pregnant teenage bride who dropped out of school to marry someone she's related to. The only way to make that more redneck would be to slap an NRA sticker on her ass as she walked down the aisle.

HA HA HA HA HA

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I still maintain that a reponsible family with 17 kids decides before the first one gets married how much financial help they are going to be able to swing knowing they will have to do it 17 times.

When the cake lady mentioned 300 people, & having been watching them choose for this wedding I thought the same thing. Why would they not think ahead to all the others coming down the pike? It's like first come, first served. You're first, we have it, so you get the best. By the time the youngers are marrying they will be having backyard bbq's.

Then again, hopefully, not everyone is even going to want a crazy big extravaganza for their weddings - maybe some won't be 'keeping up' with the others but decide for themselves to plan their own (i.e. pay for it themselves), or go smaller, more reasonable, etc.

They can only hope I guess - & hope for themselves they'll have the reality show paycheck going long enough to fund the parties. Never mind funding educations, I guess...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

I don't know. I see what everyone is saying when they agree that Mykelti should wait for Maddie to be done before getting engaged and married, but I can't help but wonder if people really would feel the same way if they liked Tony. There are a million reasons for Tony and Mykelti to wait so I don't agree with using Maddie's wedding as one of them. I can imagine that's what it's been their entire life. Sorry you want something - your sibling got there first so we don't care anymore. Or worse, as I suspect to be the case in this situation, TLC won't pay for your wedding if it's too soon after they are paying for Maddie so you're out of luck because we don't spend money on our kids unless TLC is footing the bill. 

Now sure, they acted like entitled brats but I never got the impression that Maddie offered or expected to help financially for her wedding either. I just wish they had really focused on the speed of the relationship, how they would support themselves, etc as the only concerns instead of basically telling her she can't have anything until they are done fawning over her sister. They have 17!kids for god's sake. There are going to be more than one major thing being planned at a time over the years. There are 5 supposed adults in the house. They can't do more than one thing at a time??

Uh, no.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Of course the biggest problem the Brown adults have with those kinds of conversations is that it's hard to preach what you don't practice. They don't plan. They don't work for anything. They are enormously entitled. So it's a tough order to talk through those kinds of issues with your child. 

Exactly!!  Mykelti is just acting according to the example that was set for her.  Dear old Dad married quite quickly and didn't consider the feelings of others.  I really feel for her because she seems to be screaming for attention and the only way she is getting it is from this very immature young man.  So much for love being multiplied.  All I see is everything, including love being divided into such small portions that no one is happy.  

As for them trying to be fair and treat their children equally, we all know from the example of Mariah's college choice that they are far from fair.  It's very sad because this will cause life long pain for many of those children.  

• Love 5

Well, I'm fat and I still referred to him as a "fat girly-man" last night when I couldn't remember his name after watching the episode. His voice and lack of enunciation drive me crazy.

Me too and he just grossed me out!

Wear something pressed and clean to ask such an important question. Does he work? Can he support her?

Can't wait for sex? There are other things you can do.

She will marry him,get pregnant and then come running home next year.

• Love 4

Mykelti is obviously not one of Kody's favorites.  She is a pain in the neck to him and he doesn't really care who she marries, just so he can unload her on someone.  He only cares about timeline and how it impacts him and the show.  Christine on the other hand, is very concerned because she has deep reservations about Tony, and no one to discuss them with.  I'd invite you in Christine, but we won't make you feel any better.

• Love 9
21 minutes ago, Normades said:

I really feel for her because she seems to be screaming for attention and the only way she is getting it is from this very immature young man.  So much for love being multiplied.  All I see is everything, including love being divided into such small portions that no one is happy.

This is so true. She doesn't seem to know where she fits in and that is a horrible feeling. Thinking about it, it seems like the only way she knows how to get attention from her parents is to do stuff that's wrong, outlandish, over the top, or a combination of those. Definitely love and attention have been divided up to such an extent that Meri isn't happy. Robyn's happy of course, but that's only because her baby-maker's young enough to still pump 'em out, which naturally attracts Kodouche.

• Love 2

The way Tony carries himself was truly unsettling to see. What an uncomfortable and awkward kid. From "I wanna marry har" to "It'd be 'cool' if Kody could make this happen for Mykelti", to "you're not the ones getting married....it's us", he screams gross all around. If you want to marry her, and it's YOU TWO who are getting married, make it happen kid. 

I'm 21, and although far from considering marriage, it's never occurred to me that my parents would be responsible for any of it. Likewise if I were a parent, I would not be held responsible in any way for my child's financial needs at their wedding. 

• Love 16