Type keyword(s) to search

LIVE CHAT: Election Night 2016 (11/8/2016)

I haven't been really anxious since last night. Perhaps I'm in some kind of coping mechanism mode but I think Hillary Clinton will win. I'm more concerned in how we heal after this. How does the Republican Party heal and come back after a large portion of the base has been revealed to not care about traditional Republican positions (taxes, regulation, etc.)? How do they retain voters without giving into the hateful, extremist branch that has emerged? How do we stop growing more partisan and more fractured? How do we start listening to each other again when the right feels attacked by logic and the left feels attacked by hate? (OK, that was a little snarky.) How do we restore the level of discourse? Waiting it out until the hateful people die off doesn't seem like a viable plan. It's a fallacy that progress is a steady upward trajectory.

• Love 5

I was beyond devastated in 2000 because I had loved Al Gore since 1988 but as stupid as he was, and the horrible things he did, Georgie the Younger looks positively beatific compared to orange sadist.

I want to crawl in a hole right now.

Like do people not fucking understand what they have DONE?  They don't even know what his policies are going to be!  They don't know what he stands for!  They voted AGAINST HRC without comprehending what they were DOING.*

*I'm dangerously painting with a broad brush here, so I will add the caveat that this doesn't apply to everyone who voted for that fuckhole.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

Culver's is frozen custard - we have it here in MN but it's based in WI.

Yeah, Culver's is all over the Midwest. I worked in a frozen custard shop in Missouri. We had to memorize the differences for when people would ask. Frozen custard is served at a warmer temperature. It has less air whipped into it and it has a higher percentage of butter fat. It just irritates me when people call frozen custard ice cream. [/offtopicrant]

• Love 4
1 minute ago, magdalene said:

The media is to blame for some of this debacle - they have been enabling the Orange Hitler all the way through.

I won't forgive the media if Trump wins.  $2 trillion worth of free air time, people! 

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

No, it's not.  So far, nothing unexpected has been called.  I feel like a broken record, but - the more populated areas take longer to count (for obvious reasons).  Hillary is favored in those areas.  So the couple percentage point back and forth in various states is not the doom some want to see it as.  I'm not saying she's guaranteed a win, but it's not remotely over, either.  Not by a long shot.  

You are absolutely right KERLEYQ  I'm not giving up hope

• Love 4
1 minute ago, madmaverick said:

When I see people interviewed who say they are voting for Trump because 'conservative values', I don't get that as a non American.

What I keep hearing, as an American, is "he speaks his mind." WHY IS THAT A GOOD THING? Charles Manson spoke his mind. Christ on a unicycle....

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, 33kaitykaity said:

I think the networks are putting off their calls of NC, OH, or FL going blue because they know if HRC wins even one of those and keeps her blue wall states, this thing is over and the click of TVs turning to something else would be audible around the world.  

Your mouth to gods ears.

But at this point it seems she has to win one of those and NOT lose any expected states, and we've gotten at least three big scares here (even if none have a majority of their votes in).

And Florida is almost counted (99%). That bastard Gary Johnson LITERALLY did make the difference up. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

No, it's not.  So far, nothing unexpected has been called.  I feel like a broken record, but - the more populated areas take longer to count (for obvious reasons).  Hillary is favored in those areas.  So the couple percentage point back and forth in various states is not the doom some want to see it as.  I'm not saying she's guaranteed a win, but it's not remotely over, either.  Not by a long shot.  

Exactly.  I'm scared.  Fuck it, I'm terrified.  This is closer than even I - who have been jumping up and down in red-faced frustration yelling at people that this is Hillary Fucking Clinton we're talking about and thus the not really pro-Hillary but anti-Trump contingency needed to turn out because those "oh, she's got it" predictions just were not realistic given this country's history of hatred for her - expected.  But it's still largely what I expected, and it's not ever yet. 

• Love 3

Fuck Ohio. I know it was expected but I'm damn near tears right now. My dad was joking earlier about having to stockpile guns for when the Trump supporters come for him, and I laughed at the time but now I'm feeling pretty damn apocalyptic. America isn't safe for POC

Edited by Spacecow
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, random chance said:

If the orange nightmare wins I'll have to get a hat or a jacket or something silkscreened with "I didn't vote for him," because I know that from this point on everyone's going to be looking at white people wondering if they're one of the racist assholes who put him in power.

If I did that down here I'd probably get used for target practice. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Silly Angel said:

What I keep hearing, as an American, is "he speaks his mind." WHY IS THAT A GOOD THING? Charles Manson spoke his mind. Christ on a unicycle....

Except he's also a pathological liar a lot of the time when he "speaks his mind".  But obviously a whole lot of people don't realize or seem to care.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

Agreed. I don't understand why people are already putting a fork in this. So many of us have been behind Hillary, we know how elections go and that a lot of the biggest areas that matter in certain states don't come in until quite late. We should all still have hope - she is not out of this yet.

Edited by Rapunzel
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I was beyond devastated in 2000 because I had loved Al Gore since 1988 but as stupid as he was, and the horrible things he did, Georgie the Younger looks positively beatific compared to orange sadist.

I want to crawl in a hole right now.

Richard Nixon at his most paranoid looks like a saint compared to the twatwaffle that is Fuckface von Clownstick.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, KerleyQ said:

That was expected.  It sucks, but it was expected all along.  

1 minute ago, backgroundnoise said:

OH was expected for Trump.  Don't panic yet.

Yeah, but I was hoping for an upset. I want some of those West Coast blue states to OVERTAKE him...YES!!!!!! VA!!!!!!!

• Love 1

So which of our allies do you think will ditch us first? I'm thinking the Middle Eastern ones will say it's been real and jump ship, the we'll lose all our intelligence in the area, which will just be great, then I'm sure Europe will check out, they have Russia looming over them, they don't need to be besties with Putin's bitch.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Spacecow said:

Is Virginia good? What other states does she need? Just Florida? I'm new at this, first election and all 

VA was expected to go to her.  

She needs one of the three big swing states -- FL, NC, OH -- and it's over.  She wins.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 1

I finally did it. I have some some Trump loving cousins who irritate the piss out of me by their constant sharing of Trump propaganda on Facebook. Until now I've just scrolled past the shit and tried to ignore. But tonight - I'm done with them. I unfriended them...and it felt good.

Edited by scout305
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, WhitneyWhit said:

So which of our allies do you think will ditch us first? I'm thinking the Middle Eastern ones will say it's been real and jump ship, the we'll lose all our intelligence in the area, which will just be great, then I'm sure Europe will check out, they have Russia looming over them, they don't need to be besties with Putin's bitch.

Mexico will be the first to throw up deuces.

• Love 1

Ohio is an interesting but terrifying tale so far.

64% counted 

53.4% (so far) for Trumpet
42.2% (so far) for Clinton

But look at the geography of the votes...

City vs. Country, basically.

Qp9Erm.jpg

5 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

Yeah, Culver's is all over the Midwest. I worked in a frozen custard shop in Missouri. We had to memorize the differences for when people would ask. Frozen custard is served at a warmer temperature. It has less air whipped into it and it has a higher percentage of butter fat. It just irritates me when people call frozen custard ice cream. [/offtopicrant]

I lived in St. Louis for a few years before being transferred to London, but we always went to Ted Drewes for Custard. Their Apple Pie Custard was great! I've missed that as well as Imo's Pizza...

I liked seeing Claire on earlier tonight - I met her in person when she visited a coffee shop in the Central West End where I lived in St. Louis, and my British husband was absolutely obsessed with American politics so he had to make sure we went to go see her as we lived just 2 blocks from there. She was quite nice and very personable and made it a point to speak with everyone there.