Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E05: Benedict Cumberbatch / Solange

• Start Topic

I hope at least George Wendt shows up (when's the last time someone said that unironically?)

Cold Open: One last goddamn election sketch, and the gloves are finally off. "They're all still buying it." "I mean, what even is a K?" Alec and Kate dropping character to run away to Times Square to hug everyone? Fantastic.

Monologue: Another song monologue. But it's Benedict Cumberbatch humblebragging, so I'll let it slide.

The Khool Toilet: Oh man was this great. 1984 with toilets? Genius.

Why Is Benedict Cumberbatch Hot?: Yeah, there's no 4th wall in this show tonight. Beck bringing in Vanessa, Aidy and Ben himself for this was great. I liked this, and next week's sketch: "Am I Hotter Than Kyle Mooney?" (answer: Kyle is #1)

Office Hours: Pete was the best choice to play opposite Ben in this. It's like one of them is in the wrong movie, it's great.

Surprise Party: Who didn't see where this was going the second Grandma walked in? And then the Cubs walked in. Either way, Aidy seemed like the luckiest woman in that studio. 

WU: "Are you excited for this election to be over?" "Hell no." Of course with a few days left and a week off since the last show, they had to make up for lost time. Well, the Superfans might not show up, but Church Lady is a hell of a great consolation prize. And of course the Cubs are back..AND BILL MURRAY. 

Ricky Diamonds: Benedict Cumberbatch and Cecily were competing for who had the best fake accent. I give it to Ben. We've seen this sletch before, but with different guys with Cecily, right?

Riddles: I loved this. And hell, I would've loved to see this go on forever. 

Mr. Shaw: And here I was expecting Bill Murray. But a Maltese Falcon in a suit? It's a 12:55 sketch, I really should've known better. I loved how silly it got.

Well, this didn't disappoint at all. Benedict Cumberbatch just sold everything, I hope he comes back. And next week is...Dave Chappelle?! I might be missing, it, I'll be at a birthday party.

Alec Baldwin, Dana Carvey, and Bill Murray were all at the goodnights (as was Mr. Shaw).

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 5

This one had me with the cold open.  I loved it so much, especially how they went no holds bar after the media.  So much ugly truth there.  I thought it was brilliant.

And to get Church Lady and Bill Murray in the same episode?!?!

I just couldn't ask for anything more.   I was kinda wondering, though, why Leslie wasn't in the Why Is Cumberbatch so hot sketch.  She wouldn't have had any trouble getting words out and probably would've dogged Beck for asking stupid questions. Heh.

Cumberbatch was a trouper.  He wasn't afraid to be silly, and he seemed like he was having fun. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I just couldn't ask for anything more.   I was kinda wondering, though, why Leslie wasn't in the Why Is Cumberbatch so hot sketch.  She wouldn't have had any trouble getting words out and probably would've dogged Beck for asking stupid questions. Heh.

She already did her thing in the monologue, I'd feel like it would be redundant.

• Love 9

Loved seeing the Church Lady & Bill Murray, but they missed a golden opportunity not having Bill solo in the Cubs song.  I mean they could have thrown him a microphone and he could have wailed, "Gooooooooo, Cuuuuubs, gooooooooo, yeaaahh."

• Love 4

I found the show to be a little hit-or-miss for me, but Cumberbatch was certainly game for anything and everything, to his credit.

I really enjoyed the "pool boy" Pete Davidson/ Julia Louis-Dreyfus sketch last season, and so the continuation of it with "Office Hours" was welcome.  The "Khool Toilet" ad was a witty parody of the famous Mac ad, though I was watching with 2 people who had never seen the ad and didn't get the sketch, and so I wonder how well that landed.  Weekend Update was back on track this week after being a little off the past two eps (at least in my opinion).

Don't have much positive to say about the rest.  I will say dead grandma was not really the fresh take on "Weekend at Bernies" that they may have been striving for.  That bronze eagle sketch at the end was dreadful, but it was a 12:55 sketch, and so I'm not demanding blood, either.

It's weird that there was no dedicated "Doctor Strange" or "Sherlock" sketch (though I know both came up in the monologue).  As a big "Sherlock" fan, I also can't believe they've had both Cumberbatch and Freeman host and never done a "Sherlock" sketch.  Throw me a bone, gents!

• Love 3

The Cold Open made me so happy. I like how with the Tom Hanks episode and this episode, the show has been acknowledging that despite the font of humor this election has been, it's also been draining as hell and everyone is ready for it to be over. Even though they "can't tell you who to vote for" (they totally can, but whatever), the desperation in Alec's and Kate's voices at the end probably encapsulated what a lot of Americans are feeling right now. There was something really cathartic about the whole thing.

Thank you, Benedict, for acknowledging that fanfiction written about you (or any real flesh-and-blood person, tbh) is weird and unsettling.

I got the "1984" reference in the Kohler bit, but it still felt like the writers throwing up their hands at the product placement sketches they have to do now. It was...weird. I'm fine with having more real commercials and less of this tbh.

I loved "Why Is Benedict Cumberbatch So Hot?" I love sketches where cast members get to play themselves, and this was really endearing, especially where Beck is concerned.

I could have gone my entire life without being subjected to Mikey Day's boner for five minutes but thanks anyway, SNL.

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

Why Is Benedict Cumberbatch Hot?: Yeah, there's no 4th wall in this show tonight. Beck bringing in Vanessa, Aidy and Ben himself for this was great. I liked this, and next week's sketch: "Am I Hotter Than Kyle Mooney?" (answer: Kyle is #1)

Should we do an informal poll? Cuz from where I'm sitting Beck is the obvious choice in this scenario.

• Love 6

Very slow and weak beginning, until the Beck skit. Was the audience grumpy? 

The Beck skit asked the same question I have pondered, because I don't see it, either. I was surprised the first time I read BC was a sex symbol.

Chad felt like most of my interactions with other people, aside from the kiss part.

Poor Aidy on the Grammie skit. What a sport. The Cubs really went for it - loved that!

Welcome back, Church Lady. And go Westworld!

As someone who watched Bill Murray on SNL in the 70s when I was a kid, it's amazing to see what he has become. Who would have guessed.. BTW, Colin looks completely different standing up away from the WU desk.

I'd spend a weekend with Gemma. And a Gob line! "Its not a trick, it's an illusion."

Bad Guy Riddles had a hook but that's about it. Weak ending.

Mr. Shaw... okay.

Why did Rizzo have a different style jersey from the others at the close?

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, briochetwist said:

Thought the show was pretty good overall, the low point for me was Solange. I expected her to be able to sing...

Would that have been expecting too much ?  Seriously, no one else was available that could carry a tune.

I think the most telling part was at the end when BC says he would like to thank Solange (crickets ) and thank the Cubs and Bill Murray (wild applause).

15 minutes ago, Ottis said:

Mr. Shaw... okay.

Not sure who wrote that, but it wasn't funny. BC did what he could with it, but even he couldn't save it.

• Love 2

I'm going to be an outlier here, I actually didn't like this episode. I actually felt embarrassed on behalf of Cumberbatch during the toilet commercial, as I did a little bit during Grandma's surprise bachelorette party (the redeeming quality of that sketch was that Aidy and Kate play older women so well in different ways.)  My favorite sketch was the riddling super villain, which I think used Cumberbatch's strengths the best. Very Alan Rickman (how I miss him.)

Another sketch with Pete Davidson where the "joke" is on a gay man.

I have never warmed to Che (partly because I thought Cecily was fine in WU) but today I finally realized why - he's a hack. His two big jokes were based on corny battle-of-the-sexes cliches (uh oh make sure you don't let your woman read your emails! Women are in charge of birth control because us men are so helpless and irresponsible amirite fellas?) This is brick wall comedy crap.

I am also a outlier in that I find Solange far more interesting than her dead-eyed prefab sister (and with a prettier voice.)

• Love 3
9 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Should we do an informal poll? Cuz from where I'm sitting Beck is the obvious choice in this scenario.

But I thought that was the humour of Aidy saying that.  Because Beck is a lot more conventionally attractive than Kyle.  (I personally would pick Kyle too.)

2 hours ago, Ottis said:

Poor Aidy on the Grammie skit. What a sport. The Cubs really went for it - loved that!

No.  Not Poor Aidy.  There's a lot of women who were sharing how jealous we are of her on social media

The Beck and Benedict game show was great.  And I loved Leslie in the monologue.  And I never like the monologues -- that one made me happy.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2
On 11/6/2016 at 1:16 AM, helenamonster said:

Well, the real winner wasn't even in the running: Bobby Moynihan always and forever. I thought that sketch was absolutely hysterical; each cast member was cracking me up. I think with no Taran, Beck is really going to break out in a big way this season. 

As a die hard Cubs fan who cried Wednesday when the Cubs won, the highlight of the night for me was Bill Murray leading Go Cubs Go. I wasn't sure which Cubs were going to make the trek out to SNL, but I'm glad Grandpa Rossy was one - he's had one hell of a retirement season. Plus, in the surprise bachelorette party sketch, I got to discover that Anthony Rizzo can twerk.  I haven't been this jealous of Aidy Bryant since there was that cut sketch where she got to make out with Ed Norton.  And I give her so much credit for not breaking during that sketch.

Ill admit, I'm someone who isn't all that enamoured of Benedict Cumberbatch (I am Beck in the game show sketch), and I was worried when the first promo of the week didn't involve any cast members, and the second promo was a limited one with Beck.  But I thought he was hilarious and a very game host.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but I think Alec has the "Best Guest Actor in a comedy" Emmy sewn up with his Donald Trump impression.  The cold open was fantastic, and WU was great too  

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 6

Poor Aidy on the Grammie skit. What a sport.

If anything I think the CumberCollective were thinking "The greatest.  THING. EVER!!! SHE IS LIVING MY DREAM!!!!!! (except for being dead, but details.)"

I am the female version of Beck: I don't get the appeal of him...until last night.  Now I sort of do. Doesn't do it for looks wise but he is charming as well to the point I may watch Sherlock. (Side note: the head shot Beck posted was HOT.)

That with past greats Dana and Bill and current great Alec and this is one hell of a lineup. Except Solange.  I can barely tolerate her sister but at least she can carry a tune.  

Finally, Kate's final line in the cold open did make me tear up.  I'm Canadian, and I fear for this election one way or the other.  Good luck on Tuesday, America!

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

I am also a outlier in that I find Solange far more interesting than her dead-eyed prefab sister (and with a prettier voice.)

I'm hardly the biggest Beyonce fan, but I felt like Solange was trying to be Beyonce lite and her voice was shockingly weak in all registers. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Ricky Diamonds: Benedict Cumberbatch and Cecily were competing for who had the best fake accent. I give it to Ben. We've seen this sletch before, but with different guys with Cecily, right?

Yes, she did it previously with The Rock. 

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post - I think they've done a really good job at integrating the featured cast members into the sketches so far this season. I think all three have been used more (and much more successfully) than Jon Rudnitsky was last season. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

Well, the real winner wasn't even in the running: Bobby Moynihan always and forever. I thought that sketch was absolutely hysterical; each cast member was cracking me up. I think with no Taran, Beck is really going to break out in a big way this season. 

As a die hard Cubs fan who cried Wednesday when the Cubs won, the highlight of the night for me was Bill Murray leading Go Cubs Go. I wasn't sure which Cubs were going to make the trek out to SNL, but I'm glad Grandpa Rossy was one - he's had one hell of a retirement season. Plus, in the surprise bachelorette party sketch, I got to discover that Anthony Rizzo can twerk.  I haven't been this jealous of Aidy Bryant since there was that cut sketch where she got to make out with Ed Norton.  And I give her so much credit for not breaking during her not breaking during that sketch.

Ill admit, I'm someone who isn't all that enamoured of Benedict Cumberbatch (I am Beck in the game show sketch), and I was worried when the first promo of the week didn't involve any cast members, and the second promo was a limited one with Beck.  But I thought he was hilarious and a very game host.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but I think Alec has the "Best Guest Actor in a comedy" Emmy sewn up with his Donald Trump impression.  The cold open was fantastic, and WU was great too  

Bobby Moynihan all the way!!! But Beck was very good looking in the head shot.

The Cubs they picked were great, but I'm only sad Chris Bryant couldn't be part of it because well once again Aidy would have that all wrapped up, she already has the last name wouldn't have to change it!!!

Great episode. 

And has a comedy sketch show ever come out of character to entice people to vote? I think that's a first.

• Love 4

WTF, no Ben Zobrist, the MVP (and former Royal)!  It was nice to see Murray, but a shame that's all we got.

I'm disappointed about the product placement sketches, but interested to see what they can come up with.  I'd rather see the SNL peeps come up with something funny and artistic than see a bunch of lame ads like McConaughey waxing philosophical about his Mercury Bobcat or whatever. 

This particular one was lame, even with its high production values.  It was a duel rip-off of both the '84 Apple commercial, obviously, and the Southpark episode from a couple years ago entitled "Reverse Cowgirl"  (one of my faves). 

Lollers on the booty-shaking in Aidy's face.   Part of the reason she wore the dark sunglasses was so she could leave her eyes open and watch?

• Love 1

Not that I saw.  That reminds me that they had Cecily and Vanessa in some of the smaller roles they could have easily given to the newer female cast.  FFS, Sasheer is a full member now and hardly gets on. 

Edited by JZL

Enjoyed this one. I, like others, don't find BC handsome, but he obviously has a great sense of humor so that is always attractive. Loved Beck's reactions in the game show sketch. Yes, Beck, you win over Kyle for me any day.

• Love 2

Great show. Loved the Cold Open & its skewering of the media for ignoring all the shit that Trump has done right under their noses while obsessing over the emails, but I think they missed an opportunity when they didn't let host Benedict Cumberbatch, who played Julian Assange in The Fifth Estate do an Assange cameo as the fourth guy Trump kissed. 

Speaking of Benedict, I thought he did a great job. He was game for anything-as the toilet sketch alone proved-and doesn't take himself too seriously.

When it comes to the SNL hotness scale, neither Beck, Kyle nor Bobby are the winners. For my money, it's Bill Murray. 

Re Solange, yawn. The Church Lady was better. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

I too have never understood the Cumberbatch attraction.  Not that handsome.  But I have never seen him in any role, so just watching him on SNL I can see that it's more than just his looks.  

Was hoping to see Harry Caray return, too, but loved that they had the Cubs, Bill Murray.   And Church Lady!

• Love 1

I'm a big BC fan, love his Alan Rickman voice, and I thought he was a good host, and a good sport as proven by the Kohler sketch. Which, being from the generation that remembers the Mac commercial, made me rather uncomfortable. But the Ridder sketch made me LOL, which this show hasn't done for years, so that was a plus. Another plus was the close up of Rizzo's legs in the Weekend at Bernie's sketch. HOLY COW, to quote Harry Caray. Those Cubs looked great in those little white shorts. And having them "win The Voice" and sing with Bill Murray made me bawl my eyes out once again. Go Cubs Go!

I turned the channel after listening to Solange for just a few seconds ...

p.s. I mean the RIDDLER sketch. Not able to edit posts. Or spell, obviously.

• Love 2

Cold Open: This was oddly sweet at the end. I like when SNL gets oddly sweet. 

Monologue: Dammit, singing monologue?! It wasn't that bad though. I did like Leslie Jones being all lusty towards Benedict. Not that I blame her.

Khool: This reminds me of late 80s SNL in the best way possible. Well done and pretty funny as well. 

Why is Benedict Cumberbatch Hot?: You see, when they do Game Show sketches, I like when they're weird like this. And I loved how there was absolutely zero fourth wall. And I like the idea that Beck just brought this sketch on last minute. Was this actually in dress rehearsal? That'd be hilarious if it wasn't. Also, hilarious and really does show why he is hot. Also, for the record, Beck is hotter than Kyle Mooney.

Office Hours: I found this entertaining. I did kind of like the end and he's like "He tried to kiss me" "Oh. Okay." and the non-reaction to it. Also, it never occurred to me that this was the same guy as the pool boy in the JLD episode. 

Surprise Party: Clearly, Aidy wrote this for an excuse to be danced up on with Benedict Cumberbatch. I felt mighty embarrassed for the Cubs in this sketch. Thought his also got me to thin that man did the Red Sox get hosed with their SNL cameo in 04. It was a brief Weekend Update snippet of Seth Meyers grinning like an idiot and then Johnny Damon poorly reading off a cue card about being friends with Seth. It was awful and they could've done better with players. Also two former Red Sox (well sorta with Rizzo) here with David Ross and Anthony Rizzo (well...he was drafted by the Red Sox and was in the minor league system until 2011 when they traded him to San Diego for Adrian Gonzalez. Everybody thought I was nuts for being more upset at losing Rizzo than I was for losing Casey Kelly but now, I look like a genius! HAH!)

Weekend Update: I had said after the Cubs won the WS that Bill Murray would be on with the Cubs. I like when I'm right. Though at first I was dreading that it was Joe Maddon instead (I have an intense dislike for him and his managerial stylings...he nearly lost the Cubs the WS in that game with his mindnumbingly stupid decisions. He got lucky with that rain delay!). Also, always nice to see Dana Carvey as The Church Lady. This was an entertaining Weekend Update. I really like how enjoyable it's become.

Ricky Diamonds: Are they eventually going to recognize Gemma or something? I keep waiting for them to hang a lampshade and say "Okay how the hell do you keep dating our trashiest friends?!" and I kind of laughed at Kenan's character's freebie being Mila Kunis as Meg Griffin. That just made me laugh.

Riddles: This was enjoyable. I liked the weird asides and I liked that Beck's character was really enjoying the riddles and wanted him to keep going.

Mr. Shaw: Ahh yes, the 10-to-1 sketch. I enjoyed this a little bit but I kept getting distracted with other stuff. 

Overall, it was enjoyable. Not the best episode (Tom Hanks takes home that medal right now) but definitely a good one. Next week's SNL is going to be mighty interesting with Dave Chapelle and A Tribe Called Quest. I mean you got a guy who was peak popularity in the early 00s with a music group with peak popularity in the 90s. Definitely feels a lot like a throwback episode. But it'll be nice to have this host/musical guest combo as a post-election breather.

• Love 1

Heh, after reading all these posts that BC is attractive for other reasons more than his looks, maybe there's hope for some of us guys yet.  Not me, but some of us.

Edited by JZL
  • Love 1

I'm so sick of the election that I skipped the cold open, then heard the show felt the same way when Kate and Alec broke character and went out to spread some much needed positive vibes. I'll watch it on Wednesday. Mailed in my vote weeks ago so now I'm in "Wake me when it's over" mode.

Beck should have asked "Why is every heterosexual girl on the show so horny for this dude? "When I first watched Sherlock I didn't really notice how weird Cumberbatch looked until he became this sex symbol with this huge following of female fans and became as perplexed as Beck. It HAS to be the voice.

How did Aidy not break during the stripper sketch?!

Seeing the Church Lady again I realized Dana Carvey is  now basically the same age as the character's.

Loved seeing Gemma again, although I wondered why Benedict didn't also play a British character.

Immediately thought of Die Hard With a Vengeance with the bomb threat sketch.

After the toxic uproar by fans over the Ghostbosters remake, seeing Kate and Bill Murray hug in the goodbyes was what I needed.

Edited by VCRTracking

The Cold Open was fantastic. "They're all still buying it." Kate as Hillary getting more and more exasperated as the anchor pushes aside everything blatant that Trump does was so good. Then watching them out on the streets was great. My favorite part was when Kate sees the guy has on a "Trump That Bitch" shirt, but (barely) hugs him anyway. 

I enjoyed the monologue. I loved the Kohler commercial about the Koohl toilet. Very... klever.

The game show was good. I think BC is hot to so many women because of the characters he plays. And that voice.

Pete cracked me up in the Office Hours bit. "Okay." 

Grammy's bachelorette party didn't really work for me. I also didn't care for BC doing the valley boy voice/character or the ... whatever character in the Gemma sketch. 

At first I was excited to see Church Lady again, but I didn't think he was all that funny.

I like Cecily's Gemma character. That's about it for this sketch. 

The riddling bomber was pretty good. I liked when he gives Beck 60 seconds, then sits with his hench'people', twirling his phone. The sketch also got fun when Beck kept guessing the riddles faster than BC could say them. BTW, it suddenly struck me that the new guy in that sketch looked like Matthew Perry.

The Mr Shaw sketch didn't work very well for me. My favorite part was when BC says he'll get his things, then picks up a swim fin and a soccer ball.

As for Solange, I didn't listen too closely so I can't comment on her singing. However, I thought the sound on her mic was too quiet.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

The Mr Shaw sketch didn't work very well for me. My favorite part was when BC says he'll get his things, then picks up a swim fin and a soccer ball.

As for Solange, I didn't listen too closely so I can't comment on her singing. However, I thought the sound on her mic was too quiet.

That was the best part of the sketch!

I think they made a wise choice in turning down Solange's mic.  Spared us all a bit.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

That was the best part of the sketch!

I think they made a wise choice in turning down Solange's mic.  Spared us all a bit.

I loved that it was just a single fin, it was so oddly absurd, it made sense. Of course he had only one, why wouldn't he. 

I can't attest to the singing, I almost always skip the musical guests, so I fast forwarded yet again. Until I read this thread I wasn't even sure if she was Beyonce's sister or not. I knew Beyonce had a sister named Solange, but wasn't sure if there was another artist named Solange out there. I thought she looked like a snowflake in her first performance, but it was blatantly obvious she was a discount rack version of her sister in the second from what I fast forwarded thru. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, callmebetty said:

The Cubs they picked were great, but I'm only sad Chris Bryant couldn't be part of it because well once again Aidy would have that all wrapped up, she already has the last name wouldn't have to change it!!!

I get the feeling Kris Bryant is a little shy.  Or maybe he has taste.

8 hours ago, JZL said:

WTF, no Ben Zobrist, the MVP (and former Royal)!  It was nice to see Murray, but a shame that's all we got.

Zobrist had to go to Disney World with his family.  And naming him the MVP of the series was a crock. 

4 hours ago, Bees said:

Surprise Party: Clearly, Aidy wrote this for an excuse to be danced up on with Benedict Cumberbatch. I felt mighty embarrassed for the Cubs in this sketch.

As did I.  It was truly horrible.

• Love 2

(small voice) I think the problem with the Solange musical bit was how turned down her vocals were. Her new album is *fantastic* and I love "Cranes In The Sky" (the song she sang with the headdress) (/small voice). I'll see myself out...

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, yourstruly said:

(small voice) I think the problem with the Solange musical bit was how turned down her vocals were. Her new album is *fantastic* and I love "Cranes In The Sky" (the song she sang with the headdress) (/small voice). I'll see myself out...

No need to use your small voice! I actually listened to the album version of Cranes in the Sky and it was much, much better. My problem with Solange is that she can't really sing well. I don't mean compared to her sister, I just mean in general. Her microphone wasn't turned down, she just has really weak vocals. All of her registers are weak, and she has a difficult time staying in key. Her background singers were great though.

• Love 1

Yeah, I haven't listened to Solange's album but it got a ton of hype and I was expecting a lot more from her. I think her content is good, but she just might not be the right person to perform it. Also, this isn't her fault, but she looks so much like her sister that I couldn't help but spend the entirety of both performances thinking about how much more talented Beyonce is in terms of singing and general stage presence.

This was a pretty lame episode to be honest.  Cumberbatch was okay, but they really didn't use him well.  If you've seen him on the Graham Norton Show, you'll know there's very little he won't do for a laugh, but you sure didn't see it on SNL.  Plus, even SNL couldn't convince me that Cumberbatch is hot.

I disliked the end of the cold open.  The election bits have been the best things about the last two seasons, and this fell flat.

Also, based on the song I saw, Solange is even less of an adequate singer than her sister.  Cool headdress, though.