Type keyword(s) to search

S42.E05: Benedict Cumberbatch / Solange

• Start Topic

I am the female version of Beck: I don't get the appeal of him...until last night.  Now I sort of do. Doesn't do it for looks wise but he is charming as well to the point I may watch Sherlock. (Side note: the head shot Beck posted was HOT.)

I still don't.  I mean, he's a good actor and a good sport, but he does nothing for me.

20 hours ago, Bees said:

Ricky Diamonds: Are they eventually going to recognize Gemma or something?

Lol, this is a really good point. This has always bothered me about certain recurring sketches. I think the two most blatant ones in recent years were the "sexy" character that Kristen Wiig played- where it was always the same guys who were at first excited and then disgusted to meet Kristen's character and find out she wasn't sexy. The other one was the "Blizzard Man" sketch with Andy Samberg- every time Kenan's studio booth guy is appalled by Samberg's horrible rapping, even though he's met him like 8 times already.

I guess we have to assume the characters got hit on the head and developed amnesia between sketches.

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 1

There was this moment when Alec broke character in the cold open that blew me away. He has been so convincing as Trump this whole time, but when it was time to be Alec, suddenly all the Trumpness was gone (the hair and the orange was still there) and he was Alec Baldwin again. His face was open and he went from ugly to good looking. I don't think that highly of Alec but damn, he can actually act. I hadn't appreciated the physicality of his performance until it stopped but wow.

• Love 10

The "Surprise Party" sketch freaked me out for one reason: Kate McKinnon in a curly wig and old lady outfit looked SO MUCH like a deceased relative of mine that I did a triple take and wondered how Aunt Marilyn got resurrected for SNL. And there goes a years-long crush on Kate McKinnon. ;)

• Love 2

In the second song, I couldn't decide if Solange's vocal track was turned down too much or if she just couldn't hit the lower notes. Seems like it might be a combination of the two. I don't need singers to always be able to wail if they bring something else to the table, but I don't know why for a huge national platform like this she'd choose a song with notes she struggles to reach.

Was Bobby even in the building? I don't think he was in any sketches and I don't think I saw him at good nights. Feels like he hasn't been on much this season.

On 11/6/2016 at 0:03 AM, Peace 47 said:

I found the show to be a little hit-or-miss for me, but Cumberbatch was certainly game for anything and everything, to his credit.

This. I've legitimately never seen Benedict Cumberbatch is anything ever prior to this (nor had I heard Solange sing...not a fan of what little I heard. Muted both performances. No offense to her. Not a fan of her sister's either. Pretty sure neither of them care). And I was pleasantly surprised! There were a few dud sketches, but to Benedict's credit, he was up for anything, and tried to sell his character in every sketch.

On 11/6/2016 at 0:16 AM, helenamonster said:

Should we do an informal poll? Cuz from where I'm sitting Beck is the obvious choice in this scenario.

+1 for Beck!! I love him! Even playing his exasperated self as the game show host was amazing. With Taran gone, Beck is easily my favorite male cast member. 

On 11/6/2016 at 5:44 AM, Ottis said:

I'd spend a weekend with Gemma. And a Gob line! "Its not a trick, it's an illusion."

I actually yelled "A trick is something a whore does for money, Michael.......or candy!" Ok, I didn't actually, but I thought it. 

There were some stinkers of sketches tonight, but I think I at least laughed during all of them. So there's that. Aidy is a fricking rockstar for not breaking whilst her face was bounced from crotch to crotch. 

One of my biggest laughs of the evening was Pete aka Chad's: "Haha...taint." Because apparently I am 12.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, VioletMarx said:

In the second song, I couldn't decide if Solange's vocal track was turned down too much or if she just couldn't hit the lower notes. Seems like it might be a combination of the two. I don't need singers to always be able to wail if they bring something else to the table, but I don't know why for a huge national platform like this she'd choose a song with notes she struggles to reach.

Was Bobby even in the building? I don't think he was in any sketches and I don't think I saw him at good nights. Feels like he hasn't been on much this season.

Bobby and Pete were both hugging the bronze eagle statue from the "Mr. Shaw" sketch during the goodnights.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2016 at 8:14 AM, Mumbles said:

I have never warmed to Che (partly because I thought Cecily was fine in WU) but today I finally realized why - he's a hack. His two big jokes were based on corny battle-of-the-sexes cliches (uh oh make sure you don't let your woman read your emails! Women are in charge of birth control because us men are so helpless and irresponsible amirite fellas?) This is brick wall comedy crap.

I agree that Che's WU parts were really bad tonight, but normally I enjoy him. I liked Cecily on WU as well, but I don't miss her there because she really shines in other places on the show, especially anything where she gets to sing.

On 11/6/2016 at 10:35 AM, JZL said:

Not that I saw.  That reminds me that they had Cecily and Vanessa in some of the smaller roles they could have easily given to the newer female cast.  FFS, Zasheer is a full member now and hardly gets on. 

I have such a huge crush on Sasheer [swoon]

• Love 1

My favourite CUMparison was to Sid the Sloth from Ice Age.

They must be Siamese twins, separated at birth!

I've never thought of him as sexy, but I think he's cool, and I love Sherlock and yeah, it's pretty much the VOICE. It's a great voice.

I think they missed the boat with the Cubs, Murray and the The Voice thing. Murray should have done his legendary lounge singer with the Cubbies as backup or something.

Really, the only part of this show I enjoy much anymore is Weekend Update, and I H A T E D Colin Jost at first. Usually like Michael Che. They do a few lame things here and there ON the Update but overall, it's pretty solid.

Mr Monkey and I were watching some old first season Saturday Night's on Hulu and we remembered those were so damn funny because we were pretty much stoned the whole time. I mean it WAS 1975 or 6. Although Richard Pryor: doesn't get much better than that on any level.

Edited by PepperMonkey
On 11/6/2016 at 10:08 AM, Dee said:

I've never cared for Benedict Cumberbatch.

But I did get a good laugh out of him being aware of his resemblance to Sid from Ice Age.

Yeah, that cracked me up too. I do see how people find his talent and voice appealing, but he's made too many mistakes like accepting problematic roles (whitewashed Khan, blackmailed traitorous Alan Turing) and that "coloured" comment for me to count myself among them.