Type keyword(s) to search

S33.E07: I Will Destroy You

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Maybe it's the generation gap bias in me, but I think Taylor, Will and Jay all look stoned every time they're on screen.  Blank, empty stare & mouth hanging open...I may be a "GenX-er", but I recognize that look from my own days in a dorm.

• Love 10
9 hours ago, simplyme said:

No, Brett, it is not true that your only option is for you to write down Sunday's name and Sunday to write down your name. There are a bunch of other options. *headdesk* That's just stupid.

Well, I think they were thinking it was the safest, being the person left would REALLY be a minority on the team. If Sunday and Brett decided not to vote for each other, they'd have to pick a Millennial to "target" and it might cause unnecessary animosity on the tribe. If they know the other person is going home, they were going to be mature about it and not care about voting each other out. That said, it never came to that. But I do wish we had seen the conversation Jay and Will had with Brett and Sunday. 

9 hours ago, Lamima said:

First, Jess talking with Tayls and in her talking head she says something about not trusting Adam or liking Taylor and wanting to work with him. Ummmm, didn't Adam just save the GenX duo by going with them to vote out Figgs???? And Jess is not trusting Adam???? Nice!

Did anyone else get the sense that Ken was tensing up next to her? I don't know that HE'D be so on board with where she's going. He shook Taylor's hand, but did this little shrug thing. I don't think he finds Taylor as trustworthy as Jess does. 

9 hours ago, pfk505 said:

Not sure why Bret lied or why he think cops don't do well. Philip the FBI agent made the final 3 (as a goat, but still) and Tony won the game handily. I doubt cops have done worse than other professions? He seems to have picked a fake job that he knows very little about - at least do some research man! Everyone saw right through it. I continue to like him anyway.

Well, to be fair, I don't think most people actually believed Philip was an FBI agent, ha. And Tony was much more slick and conniving than Brett. I don't know, I guess cops assume they'll be targeted for being smart and perceptive or something? I don't get it myself. Not all cops are detectives! However, I didn't think Brett sounded totally unbelievable as a funeral director. It was more than his demeanor just said "cop" to them. When you've done a job like that for so many years, it really stands out as a part of who you are. 

6 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

Another reason why this season is such a drag is that every damn episode someone must talk about the difference between Gen-X & Millenials. We really need to stop being beaten over the head with it cause I'm tired of hearing it. Who cares???

It's annoying because there are more differences AMONG tribe members sometimes, than across generational lines. You have Taylor using phrases like - "To the max". And then Zeke, from the same original tribe, uses words like, "behoove", which would likely send Taylor into a headspin. People are people. We're all different. 

• Love 9

I can certainly see the argument that Jay blew up his own game by voting Michaela out but on the flip side: 1. any time someone comes out like a general on a battlefield and starts making physical tactical maps, you have to consider whether or not it's a good idea to keep them around, even if they're on your side at the moment, 2. keeping a "shield" has backfired in the past - when the moment comes that they don't win, there are often other fish to fry and you may not get enough chances to try again, and 3. it's possible that the other Millennials will react with a "whew, thanks for taking care of that for us" instead of seeing it as a reason to distrust Jay.

And I have not liked Jay much this season, but I was absolutely floored (in a positive way) by his reaction to Michaela after the vote. Steady, straightforward, and not smug.

• Love 18
11 hours ago, Archery said:

I'm done.  I only wish Michaela had said, "Play your idol next time, Jay," on her way out.

Are there hard and fast rules for this type of thing?  I doubt she would've been allowed to reveal who had the idol as she walked away, but could she have said something like, "Watch out for Jay and Will?"

As shocked as I was about Michaela getting the boot, I was actually more shocked at Jay not blinking during Michaela's Death Stare of Eternity.  That was kind of awesome.  I'm torn as to whether or not the Michaela boot was too early, or just at the right time.  I also wonder if Jay and Will were swayed by the fact that the other two tribes had the majority alliances voting out one of their own, and they wondered if perhaps they should follow suit.  Not to mention, getting a strong and vocal player like Michaela out before she can make jury is smart strategy, if Jay were thinking along those lines.

Between this episode and the World Series, I'm just all kinds of floored today!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Oholibamah said:

7 votes. 6 women. 3 are Asian, 2 are black. 

Oh, this is Survivor. 

Why oh why did they think casting an 18 year old was a good idea? That was the worst move ever. Let's vote somebody who will never vote against us who's thinking too far ahead to keep 2 people who won't vote with us. Isn't that thinking too far ahead??

I literally can't. I'm out. I will probably just rewatch this season in a few years when I already know who won. 

Since I accidentally gave this post a 'like', and the poster brings up gender/ethnicity, let me give my view that sexism/racism had nothing to do with the boots, all of which have been logical.  Taking it from the top...

Rachel annoyed much of the tribe by being bossy and pushy.  Her social game sucked and she paid the price;

Mari was the victim -- not of sexism -- but a fantastic play by another woman, who saved her own friend/ally and took out a dangerous rival;

Lucy got idoled out, and was chosen because she had turned into the defacto leader (take out the head) and also was behaving imperiously.  Almost exactly what happened the week before on Gen X with Paul;

CeCe was a huge liability at the challenges, and didn't have the strategic/social chops to compensate for that;

Figgy had a public showmance...blew two key challenges for her tribe (the second of which is why they had to go to tribal)... had deluded herself into believing Taylor and she were the power couple... and once Michelle could no longer shield her, had to rely on someone who had been allied opposite her before;

Michaela was way too out there, looking like Supergirl in most of the challenges, repeatedly shooting off her mouth when it wasn't necessary, and finally talking far too much after they lost the IC, proving to the others just how strategic she actually is.  I liked her (most of the time) and wish she hadn't gotten voted out, but she painted much of that target on her own back.

Jay probably made a mistake in turning on Michaela.  But I also think a) he saw her as a huge threat to win, and b) she scared him, both as a game player and personally.  Her reaction on getting booted -- cussing at him and acting menacing -- probably reinforced that feeling. 

• Love 12

I'm sorry to see Michaela go - she really is amazing and I'm sure she'll be successful at whatever she does. My employer would love to have someone like her in a leadership program!  Although I can understand the game reasons Jay gave, I think the basic reason was that he thought she was too bossy. She had sound reasoning when explaining on how she thought tribal should go. I didn't even know who he and Will were until this episode. I saw him and thought, "Who's that?" Right now my favorite tribe is Chris, David, Zeke and Michelle (Chris is my secret crush), but I don't really have a favorite to win.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, mojoween said:

I really need Ken to keep his light under a bushel.

I think Ken is smartly suspicious of everyone, but at this point he probably needs to seem especially agreeable to whatever Jessica says or does, since she's told him she's willing him the Legacy advantage if she gets voted out.  At the same time, Jessica should be careful about changing her mind on who she trusts more and expecting Ken to follow suit.  I don't think he's a very sway-able player.

2 hours ago, thehepburn said:

You cannot HAND OFF an idol once youre voted out but you can say whatever you want. Eliza Orlins said Ozzy had the idol after she was voted out in S16.

Given that we heard Michaela say that she might snitch on Jay if she thought something was going down, it makes it all the more strange that she didn't let everyone know that he had an idol on her way out.  There's no way she could've forgotten that, not even in the heat of the moment, IMO.

27 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Well, I think they were thinking it was the safest, being the person left would REALLY be a minority on the team. If Sunday and Brett decided not to vote for each other, they'd have to pick a Millennial to "target" and it might cause unnecessary animosity on the tribe. If they know the other person is going home, they were going to be mature about it and not care about voting each other out. That said, it never came to that. But I do wish we had seen the conversation Jay and Will had with Brett and Sunday. 

Same here.  When we don't see important strategy sessions, it frustrates me as a loyal viewer.  Clearly Sunday and Brett were on the same page with who to vote for, and Jay had to have been behind that, but we didn't see any of the talk behind it.  We only saw Jay and Will discussing Michaela.  I'm not a fan of Sunday and I don't think she and Bret would've targeted the most vocal and dangerous player on their tribe without knowing for sure that they had backup.

And I was irritated at Adam's simpering explanations to Taylor regarding Figgy.  Telling Tayls that "I totally and completely screwed you over and thanks to me, your game is now total crap" doesn't do anything but make Tayls even more ticked off than he already was.  Adam could take a lesson or two from Jay on "How to Own Your Vote."

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

And I was irritated at Adam's simpering explanations to Taylor regarding Figgy.  Telling Tayls that "I totally and completely screwed you over and thanks to me, your game is now total crap" doesn't do anything but make Tayls even more ticked off than he already was.  Adam could take a lesson or two from Jay on "How to Own Your Vote."

Exactly. I get that Adam was trying to "own" his vote in his own way but he's doing it all wrong! He should not keep repeating that he screwed Taylor over. He could just apologize or explain (if he wants) but what's with hitting Taylor over the head that he is the one who screwed him over, as if Taylor doesn't know that. I was impressed that Taylor had that much patience and bit his tongue. He should just pull a Jay and said verbatim "Yes, I did it. I'm sorry".

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, waving feather said:

Exactly. I get that Adam was trying to "own" his vote in his own way but he's doing it all wrong! He should not keep repeating that he screwed Taylor over. He could just apologize or explain (if he wants) but what's with hitting Taylor over the head that he is the one who screwed him over, as if Taylor doesn't know that. I was impressed that Taylor had that much patience and bit his tongue. He should just pull a Jay and said verbatim "Yes, I did it. I'm sorry".

He or someone should have reiterated the fact that "power couples" (I hate that term) are vulnerable and deserve to be broken up.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Given that we heard Michaela say that she might snitch on Jay if she thought something was going down, it makes it all the more strange that she didn't let everyone know that he had an idol on her way out.  There's no way she could've forgotten that, not even in the heat of the moment, IMO.

It was not so much as she forgot as she was still in shock. She doesnt address it either way in her Day After video but Fishbach (who played just a year ago) said that Michaela could have said it and he should know the rules I would think.

Also, as mentioned earlier, Eliza already did it in S16.

Edited by thehepburn
  • Love 4

I believe Fishbach knows the rules but since when do they let exiting players speak aloud to the tribe?  If some of them get an exit speech, they all should.  I always thought the whole tribe is told once vote counting starts, you shut up completely until you're back at camp.  I understand why when it does occur, they tend to show it, because it is good tv, but it just seems unfair to let some people interrupt tribal for their own commentary or questions and others are just snuffed and shuffled off to comment to a lone cameraman.  

If Michaela wants to get rich someday, she's going to need either a personality transplant or a new career.  She does vacation rental sales?  I can see her blocking the exit doors at a time share sales luncheon.  "What do you mean you're not buying a time share today?!?  Are you fucking stupid?  Did you not just sit through my amazing presentation?!  You said when you signed up you were interested!   Don't you realize I'm not going to get rich if you don't buy this stupid time share like you're supposed to!?!"  

32 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

If Michaela wants to get rich someday, she's going to need either a personality transplant or a new career.  She does vacation rental sales?  I can see her blocking the exit doors at a time share sales luncheon.  "What do you mean you're not buying a time share today?!?  Are you fucking stupid?  Did you not just sit through my amazing presentation?!  You said when you signed up you were interested!   Don't you realize I'm not going to get rich if you don't buy this stupid time share like you're supposed to!?!"  

Yep.  Co-Sign.Also, "you want to go to Tribal Council."  No.  No you fucking don't, dummy.  Because anytime you do, you risk something like what happened to you last night.  Cohesion that can be formed by not having to start voting out your tribemates is one of the most valuable commodities in Survivo

Exactly. I get that Adam was trying to "own" his vote in his own way but he's doing it all wrong! He should not keep repeating that he screwed Taylor over. He could just apologize or explain (if he wants) but what's with hitting Taylor over the head that he is the one who screwed him over, as if Taylor doesn't know that. I was impressed that Taylor had that much patience and bit his tongue. He should just pull a Jay and said verbatim "Yes, I did it. I'm sorry"

I think Adam shit whatever it is that passes for the bed out there on the island.  First of all, when I look at Taylor, I can almost literally hear the crickets in his head.  This was a time for Adam to sell the idea that he did Taylor a favor by voting Figgy out because she was just playing him, putting his game at risk, etc. etc.  

As far as voting Michaela out now as opposed to down the road, I think there's something to be said for getting rid of someone who will obviously hold your vote against you prior to the jury-phase.  Now the only threat that Michaela poses to Jay is to use her shells and rocks to dupe him into a time-share scam.  

And, right decision or wrong, bonus points for Jay for staring Michaela right back down when she tried to confront him.

• Love 9

That, other than the fauna attacking Michaela on her way down the plank, is something else I found amusing, when she told Jay that he just fucked his own game.  Um, how, exactly?  It's not like Michaela has a say in anything from that point on; she's not on the jury.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

As far as voting Michaela out now as opposed to down the road, I think there's something to be said for getting rid of someone who will obviously hold your vote against you prior to the jury-phase.  Now the only threat that Michaela poses to Jay is to use her shells and rocks to dupe him into a time-share scam.  

This is a good point. I can definitely see Michaela being a bitter jury member. 

• Love 10

Can't wait for the merge! I can see the Xers coming out on top, because the Millenials keep eliminating their own people. I hated to see Michaela go, but it had to come because she's a powerful woman, and guys are intimidated by powerful women. I'm not a Jay fan, but he was right to get rid of her before the merge.

My new favorite is Chris. He's an alpha-male powerhouse, and he won both challenges practically on his own. Players should see him as a huge threat because he's very intelligent and he's just so freakin' strong. (The same can be said for Ken, albeit to a lesser extent on the physical challenges).

I'm thinking this will be the season of the big dudes. The poor women don't stand a chance.

• Love 1

I really really liked Michaela and wanted her to go far but jay made a good move IMO.

Her arrogance/confidence was too much for me when she was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, that she got 2 votes at tribal. Who did she think Brett and Sunday were voting for?

By the 3rd vote, she can be shocked, but not the 1st 2.

GMAB. And she'll be back...I am sure she'll be asked back b/c she makes good TV.

• Love 6

Since this is related to the episode, Jay told in a secret scene that he is thinking of voting Michaela out because she's a threat due to the following reasons:

1. She's smart.

2. She is good in challenges.

3. She has no poker face. She will expose to other alliances who she likes/ dislikes and intending to vote for and Jay can't have that because he needs someone in his alliance to be sneaky and under the radar.

I thought point number 3 is particularly interesting because that's what was speculated that could get her in trouble. It just happened sooner than later for her. She should not have been so open with her dislike for certain people. I thought it was silly of her to be rejoicing about Figgy's ouster at the reward challenge. Come on, even Taylor had the sense to say "No comment". Michaela is too much of an open book for this game. Even she herself said perhaps she should not have shined so brightly during challenges. She should also not have shared her war map strategy to others as well. Keep some cards close to the chest, girl. This is Survivor.

Time will tell if Jay made the right decision or not voting out his trusted alliance member but I can understand his reasons why he did and respect the way he did it. He kept eye contact till she dropped her death stare first.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 14

The fact that all but one of the boots so far were non-white women is straight-up horrible. For this fact alone, I'm surprised by how much I enjoy this season.

10 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Why do cops lie?  Do they think people think cops are masterminds?  Hardly.  

Tony, if I'm remembering correctly, said that he lied because some people are just innately distrustful of/put off by cops.

9 hours ago, shortsummers said:

This is the most entertaining Survivor in years.

I agree. But I also agree with @KimberStormer's assesment that this is one of the worst groups of players ever. But personally I find it fun to watch bad players, particularly when I like all of them/don't hate anyone. Sure, there's no one I'm truly rooting for (Michelle comes close), but there's also no one that I truly despise, so I can just sit back and enjoy. 

I kinda hope Jay is voted out next time just because it'd be hilarious.

I am very excited to see how the post-merge game plays out. There are so many different factions and I have no idea who will ultimately work with who.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 7

Answered once and for all. From Xfinity:

Holmes: Why didn’t you tell everyone about Jay’s idol on your way out?

Bradshaw: In the exact moment that I saw my name pop up, my mind was like…I knew that was the last time I was going to see him. So all I was thinking was, “Why would he break up the trust that we’re building?” I play for the team, so it’d be hard for me to go from, “I’m devastated that you broke up our team,” to flipping on someone and ruining his game. I’m not a vengeful person. So, by the time I got on the boat to go to Ponderosa, I was thinking, I should’ve. But, I can respect good gameplay. That part of me isn’t going to throw salt on someone’s game.

http://xfn-blogs.xfinity.com/tv/2016/11/03/survivor-castaway-michaela-better-hit-tree-hit-person/

Edited by thehepburn
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Why did Michelle have such a hard time with the combination when nobody else did?

One of her teammates said it - she had a meltdown.  I don't think anyone got the combination on the first try, there were a limited number of combinations to try you just had to be methodical about it.  She flipped out for no good reason.

11 hours ago, Lingo said:

I'm under the impression that the spilling of secrets, such as who has the idol, simply isn't allowed once Jeff starts to read the votes. Otherwise I'm sure a lot of spiteful players would have shouted all sorts of things on their way out over 32 seasons. I imagine there's a significant financial penalty for breaking such a rule in their contracts. I can't even remember there ever before being an outburst like Michaela's -- an accusation and a stare-off. That in itself might have been skirting the rules.

As others have said you can rat out someone having an idol but I didn't think you were allowed to go back to the benches after your torch was snuffed.  Given how visibly angry she was I was really surprised they let Michaela go back and thus have the confrontation with Jay.

Sometimes I feel sorry for Survivor players.  If they don't make a move because they think it's too early they're criticized for not making a move.  If they make a big move they're criticized for overplaying or making the move too soon.  I think Jay was smart to get rid of Michaela now - he correctly identified she's a threat post-merge, he probably figures the merge is coming soon and he is reasonably confident that even if they go back to tribal he'll be safe.

• Love 10

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe these are Probst words before he tallies the votes, "after I read the votes, the person voted out will be asked to leave the Tribal Council area immediately."  So, why was Michaela allowed to confront Jay and then menacingly stare him down?  I can well imagine the uproar had it been someone else. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, Jersey Guy 87 said:

One of her teammates said it - she had a meltdown.  I don't think anyone got the combination on the first try, there were a limited number of combinations to try you just had to be methodical about it.  She flipped out for no good reason.

Yeah, her stock went down a little there, for me.  Jeff even kept saying there were only SIX possible combinations.  I understand they're exhausted and all else but it was a pretty simple puzzle.  Try the 42 in the first slot, then swap the other two, then try the 42 in the second slot, then swap the other two, then try it in the third slot, swap the other two.  

Hey, that's 9 iterations, not 6...?  3 numbers, 3 slots... 3x3=9.  Where was he getting six from?  

It reminded me of the Harlem Globetrotter taking a 3-hour penalty on TAR when he couldn't unscramble a 5-letter word.  There are only so many possibilities!  

2 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe these are Probst words before he tallies the votes, "after I read the votes, the person voted out will be asked to leave the Tribal Council area immediately."  So, why was Michaela allowed to confront Jay and then menacingly stare him down?  I can well imagine the uproar had it been someone else. 

He actually let her interrupt his reading of the votes to comment and stare-down.  He paused for her and didn't read the final vote til after the stare-down.  

2 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

Technically, Michaela went back bc she was so shocked that she forgot her shoes, not to confront Jay. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

I think this will have to go down as one of the all-time worst-played seasons, to the extent that I almost start to get that @henripootel feelin' like they are being forced to do ridiculous illogical #blindsides every tribal.

I really wish I could weigh in on this but I've barely been paying attention this season.  Nothing seems to make much sense to me - who was allied with whom, what was at stake.  I'm guessing they're having trouble cribbing this season into something coherent, let alone interesting.  I think I'll see you guys next season.

2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I believe Fishbach knows the rules but since when do they let exiting players speak aloud to the tribe?  If some of them get an exit speech, they all should.  I always thought the whole tribe is told once vote counting starts, you shut up completely until you're back at camp.  

I feel like everybody ever has said something on their way out?  And when someone gets their torch snuffed in stoic silence it's more surprising and notable to me?

30 minutes ago, Jersey Guy 87 said:

As others have said you can rat out someone having an idol but I didn't think you were allowed to go back to the benches after your torch was snuffed.  Given how visibly angry she was I was really surprised they let Michaela go back and thus have the confrontation with Jay.

She had forgotten her shoes.  I bet stuff like that happens now and again but this one was dramatic so they included it in the episode.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

I feel like everybody ever has said something on their way out?  And when someone gets their torch snuffed in stoic silence it's more surprising and notable to me?

Well, I think a lot of them in recent years especially will toss off a quick "good luck" or "well played" or "watch out for ____, she's a snake" type comment over their shoulder as they leave but I don't think they've ever been allowed to interrupt the reading of the votes to ask who voted how.

Though Jeff is smart enough to know the rules matter less than good footage and that was good drama.  

2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Now I'm curious why Michaela's shoes weren't on her feet.

She had taken them off because she was so supremely confident that she was in control that she wasn't going to need them until they all got up and picked up their torches to head back to camp.  Pride goeth before a fall.

• Love 5

I admire Jay's honesty.  You don't really see that much.  Incredibly assertive, a master in upfront communication.

I really didn't want Michaela to go home.  I was like, not Zeke or Michaela.

Then when it happened, I had kind of resigned myself to it, and I wasn't so hurt.  It didn't hurt my feelings, for some reason.

I guess because I so logically understand it.   I'm glad that the Editors at least gave me the grace of showing the Jay and Will strategizing scene.  But damn, as a minority woman ......... ugh.

I really love Michaela as a Survivor character/contestant.  Incredibly entertaining.  I cried at her winning that Reward Challenge, more than I did the Cubs game.  And then Jay took a sword and just stabbed her..... oh my.

To posters who said Michaela was shocked to see her name written down by Brett and Sunday.  Of course she would be shocked.  For goodness sake.  It meant that at least 1 of the people in her 4 person alliance turned on her and allied with Brett and Sunday instead.

It was cool to get affirmation that Michaela's tribe really DID admire her, contrary to what some watchers have written instead.

@KimberStormer Sometimes I find myself really looking forward to your post, and this episode was one of those times.  It was not disappointing.  Again, I have no idea whether I agree (LOL) I guess I have no idea until we see whether Jay's actions pay off or not.  Brett is a liar and Michaela is a truth-teller. It's a very interesting dynamic and it's interesting who Jay and Will decided to cut.

I loved Will's line "Hannah will freak out if we tell her, and Hannah will freak out if we don't tell her."  Or was it Jay.  Meh.

Some see Michaela's reactions as dumb pride or entitlement.  To me itread like being hurt that she was betrayed.  She was surprised, which comes from feeling assured that she was safe, but I guess she felt like Jay thought the same way as her.  I don't know, is it smarter to suspect everyone all the time a la Tony or expect loyalty from your core four?  People have won both ways, so I guess both can be smart.  Michaela thinks Jay is the one who made a dumb mistake.  I honestly don't know what's true.  We'll see.  The Foa Foa Four in Somoa used their core 4 to make it to the end, and this is what Michaela had envisioned.  She didn't realize that 2 of them disagreed.  I think Jay has always wanted to reunite with Taylor and I guess it makes sense.  Michaela assumed true loyalty from beginning to end but maybe Jay never saw that vision at all.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
27 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Yeah, her stock went down a little there, for me.  Jeff even kept saying there were only SIX possible combinations.  I understand they're exhausted and all else but it was a pretty simple puzzle.  Try the 42 in the first slot, then swap the other two, then try the 42 in the second slot, then swap the other two, then try it in the third slot, swap the other two.  

Hey, that's 9 iterations, not 6...?  3 numbers, 3 slots... 3x3=9.  Where was he getting six from?  

I guess you could say there are 9 possible combinations (i.e. nine different order of the three numbers).

However as your example here of how to approach it demonstrates, there were three possible slots for "42" (first, middle, last), and two possible combinations of the other other two numbers for each of those "42" slots.  So 3 x 2 gets you 6.  

But I'm also very willing to accept that Jeff can't do math.

• Love 4

Enjoyed this episode.  Sad to lose Michaela but I understand why Joe wanted to vote her out.  She is a threat.  But I do think it stinks that we didn't get to see a conversation between Jay and Brett/Sunday.  I guess they wanted to surprise us.  As much as I like Michaela, she should understand the strategy behind Jay's move.  I didn't really care for her "whaaaaaaatttt??!?!?" and her staredown.  The blindsided people almost always never react or exclaim audibly. Her being all pissed off reminded me a lot of Rupert and his bellowing "AAAARRRRRR, WHO VOTED FOR ME!!!!!  WHO WAS IT?????"  Reeked of entitlement.

At this point, I really don't actively dislike anybody, except maybe for Taylor (dumb as a rock) and Jay (enough about how as a millenial, you don't want a job, or whatever he keeps saying).  

Isn't Michelle the one that everyone says is great at puzzles?  I guess she did indeed have a meltdown, because that "puzzle" barely even qualifies as a puzzle.  It's just trial and error.

21 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

There are only 6 combinations.  You don't look at it as 3 numbers times 3 slots equals 9 combinations.  You look at it as the first slot has 3 possibilities, then after you choose one, the second slot has two possibilities, then after you choose one, the third slot only has one possibility.  3 times 2 times 1 equals 6.

42-39-17, 42-17-39, 39-42-17, 39-17-42, 17-42-39, 17-39-42

• Love 7

So if the numbers were 42, 17 and 10, we have--

42 17 10

42 10 17

10 42 17

17 42 10

10 17 42

17 10 42

Oh, it is six!  I was counting wrong.  Heh.  It wouldn't be 3X3, it'd be 3x2x1.  The first slot can be any of three options but then the second can only be one of two and the third would have to be the remaining one.  It might be a combinations vs. permutations thing.  Which I was typing as blackwing was.  Oops.

Edited by Guest

Bye, Michaela.   You are a beautiful lady and have mad challenge skills and I didn't mind some of your bluntness, but you crossed over into arrogant bossyland for me last night so I was glad to see you go.   And your behavior after you were voted out?   Amusing but not so pleasant.  You came off as entitled like how dare someone vote ME off.   I get you were surprised but it is a game that anyone can be voted off of any time.     Impressed the way Jay owned his vote.

• Love 10

I know they only included the conversation because of the upcoming election, but I'd like to comment on Taylor's political apathy anyway. I won't go so far as to say it's indicative of his generation as a whole, but it does seem like a lot of millennials have the same attitude that they don't care who the next president is because they're so jaded about politics in general. I think there's a disconnect between their idealism and the way things really work. Taylor says his generation is going to make big changes, like getting rid of the electoral college. How does he think they're going to do that if they won't even vote? It's as if kids his age think they are going to affect change in government thru Snapchat and Twitter.

I don't know, I guess cops assume they'll be targeted for being smart and perceptive or something? 

Lying about your occupation is a long-standing tradition on reality shows. Now, I can see where some people would be uncomfortable sitting next to a cop. But that's not what Brett thinks is the problem. Brett - and everyone else who hides their real occupation on shows like this - thinks their occupation would reveal that they're so much smarter than everyone else. Like cops are especially "dangerous" because they're just so good at, I don't know, "reading people" and "getting information" and whatnot. I've got news for people like Brett: any decent manicurist could have the same abilities. Cops, as a profession, are not statistically smarter than anyone else. 

Now, the fact that Hannah "read him" as a cop says more about him - not because of his mental prowess, but more likely because he looks exactly like the stereotypical, out of shape, donut-eating cops you see on TV, like Chief Wiggum on The Simpsons.

I can't be sure, since they didn't show it, but I suspect Michaela's "Bye Felicia" might have reminded Jay that she was never on Team Fig-Tayls, like he and  Michelle are, and that even if they manage to get rid of all the Gen X-ers after the merge, she's never going to be aligned with them. 

I honestly don't think Michaela would have won even if she'd made it to the final four. She's amusing as the day is long, but she'd probably tell the jury they're all idiots and assholes. She has an utter lack of tact. And her profession is "vacation home sales?" That means she sells time shares, right?

• Love 6

Change in government IS being attempted through Twitter every day and all of the time.  Generalizations based on generations do nobody any good.  I think there will always be young people who have apathy about politics just as there are enthusiastic zealots.  And then the next generation has the same.  I want to say I think Twitter activism is an amazing thing that impresses me everyday.  Attempting to pass laws for adding restrictions for buying guns, #BlackLivesMatter, gay rights, #NoDAPL etc.  It's not all Millennials doing, but let's not dismiss Twitter activism like it's just people sharing what they're eating or something.  Anyone on Twitter is going to be bombarded with the election and they know about voting; it's not avoidable.  I'm Canadian and I cannot avoid it. I strongly believe Twitter has affected change at the very least in public awareness of these issues.  I've received a hell of a lot of education through activism on this medium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashtag_activism  

http://www.theatlantic.com/liveblogs/2016/06/house-democrats-gun-control-sit-in/488264/

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, thehepburn said:

You cannot HAND OFF an idol once youre voted out but you can say whatever you want. Eliza Orlins said Ozzy had the idol after she was voted out in S16.

and I think that is the last time it happened. Like i said I think i read/heard it relatively recently. I mean if I'm wrong - I'll own it, but I'm kinda sure (maybe now 75% lol)

In any litter of puppies, there is always one who is timid and scared.  Usually it's the runt of the litter, but not always.  Every time I look at Ken, I think of him as part of a litter of puppies where the other two are Jon Hamm and Colin Donnell (of Chicago Med and The Affair fame).  The breed is called Blue Eyed Chiseled Jaw Hunk.  Jon Hamm is the alpha dog of the litter, always mounting the others and taking their toys.  Colin Donnell is the scamp of the litter, the easy-going one who is always getting into mischief.  And Ken is the runt -- the shy, timid dog who seems more like an old dog than a puppy.

Now all those metaphors aside, Michaela.  Waaah!  I LOVE her.  She's strong, smart, funny as hell and drop-dead gorgeous.   I'm straight and I couldn't take my eyes off her.  I hope she gets another chance to play; she deserves it.

Edited by brilliantbreakfast
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, kikaha said:

Since I accidentally gave this post a 'like', and the poster brings up gender/ethnicity, let me give my view that sexism/racism had nothing to do with the boots, all of which have been logical.  Taking it from the top...

Rachel annoyed much of the tribe by being bossy and pushy.  Her social game sucked and she paid the price;

Mari was the victim -- not of sexism -- but a fantastic play by another woman, who saved her own friend/ally and took out a dangerous rival;

Lucy got idoled out, and was chosen because she had turned into the defacto leader (take out the head) and also was behaving imperiously.  Almost exactly what happened the week before on Gen X with Paul;

CeCe was a huge liability at the challenges, and didn't have the strategic/social chops to compensate for that;

Figgy had a public showmance...blew two key challenges for her tribe (the second of which is why they had to go to tribal)... had deluded herself into believing Taylor and she were the power couple... and once Michelle could no longer shield her, had to rely on someone who had been allied opposite her before;

Michaela was way too out there, looking like Supergirl in most of the challenges, repeatedly shooting off her mouth when it wasn't necessary, and finally talking far too much after they lost the IC, proving to the others just how strategic she actually is.  I liked her (most of the time) and wish she hadn't gotten voted out, but she painted much of that target on her own back.

Jay probably made a mistake in turning on Michaela.  But I also think a) he saw her as a huge threat to win, and b) she scared him, both as a game player and personally.  Her reaction on getting booted -- cussing at him and acting menacing -- probably reinforced that feeling. 

I'm allowed to think the situation sucks without necessarily thinking everybody involved is racist and sexist. But I was confused to get a "like" from you, so this explanation is helpful.

That said, choosing women to go over a similarly positioned man (Rachel over David, Mari over Zeke/Adam, Figgy over Taylor) is a consistent theme in Survivor that goes back to the beginning. I also don't think Jay would have made that move had Michaela been a man, and I do think white privilege and male privilege are a problem with this show. But that is a discussion for another thread. 

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, Daisy said:

and I think that is the last time it happened. Like i said I think i read/heard it relatively recently. I mean if I'm wrong - I'll own it, but I'm kinda sure (maybe now 75% lol)

You need to look up that interview bc your memory is faulty. It was EW.

2 minutes ago, Oholibamah said:

choosing women to go over a similarly positioned man (Rachel over David, Mari over Zeke/Adam, Figgy over Taylor) is a consistent theme in Survivor that goes back to the beginning. I also don't think Jay would have made that move had Michaela been a man, and I do think white privilege and male privilege are a problem with this show.

Choosing the old to go over the young is also a consistent outcome.  I think both are going to be part of any game where the challenges are largely physical and the athletic ability of your tribe is your only security for the first half.  

I think Jeff would argue that 'white and male privilege' being a part of the show is true, and it's support for his claim that the show is a microcosm of society.  You can't remove these things from Survivor anymore than you can from society.  You never know if the reason someone didn't win is their race, gender, age, personality or a hundred other things.  The players themselves may not know for sure, as they're casting votes.  Whichever traditionally negative traits you enter with, you need to compensate some other way.  Women have won, old people have, blacks have, virtually every type has.  

Brett the funeral director, yuh.  "Ok youse guys I am here to give yous comfort.  Have a set down I maybe get ya some coffee or guide you witch your grief."  

1 hour ago, penbrat said:

Bye, Michaela.   You are a beautiful lady and have mad challenge skills and I didn't mind some of your bluntness, but you crossed over into arrogant bossyland for me last night so I was glad to see you go.   And your behavior after you were voted out?   Amusing but not so pleasant.  You came off as entitled like how dare someone vote ME off.   I get you were surprise  but it is a game that anyone can be voted off of any time.     Impressed the way Jay owned his vote.

I agree.  I am sure others had getting her out before the merge on their minds, as well, and will see this as a good and logical move.  

Good for you Jay!  Impressive.

Michaela staying with her F4 plan could not be trusted this early in the game and the other 3 knew that.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I honestly don't think Michaela would have won even if she'd made it to the final four. She's amusing as the day is long, but she'd probably tell the jury they're all idiots and assholes. She has an utter lack of tact. And her profession is "vacation home sales?" That means she sells time shares, right?

Well, that's my assumption. 

But I bet she just fucking crushes it, like the Steve Jobs of Del Boca Vista Phase II!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Adeejay said:

I think Probst is afraid of her.  It is too bad she had to leave but she did give the "speech" that seems to doom the speaker.  I loved her but that was some good tv right there.

5 hours ago, kikaha said:

Since I accidentally gave this post

You can unlike a post by clicking on it again.  I know, I've done it.

53 minutes ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

Now all those metaphors aside, Michaela.  Waaah!  I LOVE her.  She's strong, smart, funny as hell and drop-dead gorgeous.   I'm straight and I couldn't take my eyes off her.  I hope she gets another chance to play; she deserves it.

I am certain we will see her again and next time I hope she plays like she learned her lesson.  I totally agree with you.  Sitting with my better half he apologized for staring at her and I told him, "Me too".  She is one great specimen of a human.  You go genetics.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Alapaki said:

It's a shame that Probst has overused #blindside into meaninglessness, because that was one of the best, genuine blindsides in a long time.

He was even trying to use it wrt Brett and Sunday. Uhm, if your head is on the chopping block and you and the whole tribe know it, it's not a blindside Jeff.

I probably would have enjoyed this blindside if I didn't like Michaela so much. Regardless, this move was way too soon and I think it's gonna cost Jay. He has a chance because he still has the idol and a few people in his corner if he reconnects with Taylor and Michelle, but he'll need to win immunity A LOT.

There haven't been too many memorable (in a good way) potential returnees in the last couple of seasons but Jay and Michaela are contenders and it would be classic survivor to pit them against each other in a new season. Jeff probably wet his pants during that staredown and has their season all planned out already.

• Love 7