Type keyword(s) to search

Logan (2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

The tenth installment in the X-Men film series, as well as the third and final Wolverine solo film. It is based on the comic book series Old Man Logan by Mark Millar. Directed by James Mangold, the film stars Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Dafne Keen, Boyd Holbrook, Richard E. Grant, and Stephen Merchant. The film also marks Jackman's final performance as the titular character after appearing in every main entry in the X-Men series to date. It is scheduled to be released on March 3, 2017, in IMAX and premium large formats.

• Love 1

It is almost hard to believe that Jackman has been playing Wolverine for 17 years. And what is really impressive is that 48 year old Jackman can get into shape to play the character the same way a 30 year Jackman was. 

I wonder if any other actor had played the same character exclusively for so long in so many movies?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

This looks like it could be really interesting and a different type of Xmen movie. I'm not familiar with this comic story line, but I will probably see the movie. 

I like how Wolverine seems to be totally tired and over this shit in the movie, which in some respects probably mirrors how Jackman probably feels about playing  the character.

Also thinking more about how long Jackman has been playing Wolverine; if a parent decided to bring their newborn baby to see the first X-men movie, then that baby would probably be old enough to see Logan in theatres without a parent when it comes out.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I like how Wolverine seems to be totally tired and over this shit in the movie, which in some respects probably mirrors how Jackman probably feels about playing  the character.

I don't know. In all interviews I've seen with him, he's always loved playing this character and that he's played him for so long. Never looked or said anything close to him being tired of playing him. It's not like this is the only role he's played. He's done a lot of other different movies and roles. I'll miss seeing him as Logan/Wolverine. And other than the Origins and Last Stand, I have all the other movies I can see to get my Logan fix.

I did find it weird that the color of the hair on the top of his head is quite different than the beard he's sporting for this last movie. And no, I'm not talking about the gray/white. And as with all the others, I'll be there in the theatre watching his final performance as Logan/Wolverine.

But I do wonder if we'll still get cameos? I mean, all other cameos were less than a minute, except for Apocalypse.

What? What? I've always said I have loved this character, even if I agree too much focus was on him. Doesn't mean I didn't like seeing him Jackman. Even in the 90's toon, I found myself more on Cyc's side than Wolverine's. But Jackman really brought him to life, and wasn't as much of an asshole in the real live films as he was in the toons and comics. Just as Raymond Burr is the ONLY Perry Mason and I won't accept anyone else, that's how I feel about Hugh Jackman as Logan/Wolverine. Like Kevin Conroy is the voice of Batman, and I won't accept anyone else, that's how I feel about this character. Which sounds redundant since I already said that.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't know. In all interviews I've seen with him, he's always loved playing this character and that he's played him for so long. Never looked or said anything close to him being tired of playing him. It's not like this is the only role he's played. He's done a lot of other different movies and roles. I'll miss seeing him as Logan/Wolverine. And other than the Origins and Last Stand, I have all the other movies I can see to get my Logan fix.

Yea I don't think he totally hates it, that's why I said he is tired in some respects. I mean it is not like this is Daniel Craig we are talking about who seems to only play Bond because of the dumptruck full of money they pay him. At the same time the dude is 48, and tbe training and diet regimen he has to go on to play Wolverine sounds brutal. I have heard actors much younger than him talk about how hard the training is to prepare to be a super hero.

• Love 1

Jackman doesn't actually hate the "acting" of playing Wolverine.  It is the physical transformation that it takes on his body.  He has said that getting out of bed and going to play the character is great it is the 6 months of preparation; weight training, dieting, conditioning he has to put his body thorough.  Which isn't the most healthiest (the training, not his body). 

He is also 48 years old.  Doing that level of training when your 30 is one thing, but the idea of doing that into your 50's is just asking for serious health ailments.

With that said I wouldn't rule out Jackman making a cameo in a future "X-Men World" movie five to ten years from now.  Especially if it didn't require him to necessarily bulk up.  

• Love 2

I always wonder who decided he needed to go on what is clearly a ridiculous regimen to play Wolverine because when the first X-Men movie came out in 2000... he was not ridiculously huge and muscley. He looked good, no question there, but he didn't look completely over done. When did they decide to switch that up?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Dandesun said:

I always wonder who decided he needed to go on what is clearly a ridiculous regimen to play Wolverine because when the first X-Men movie came out in 2000... he was not ridiculously huge and muscley. He looked good, no question there, but he didn't look completely over done. When did they decide to switch that up?

It happened right after the first movie. I remember watching the second movie with my best friend, and we both noticed he was...bigger. But when he roared and flew at the bad guys, claws unsheathed, he was so...animalistic that we didn't care! 

Ahem.

I do remember reading? or watching an interview where he talked about bulking up more in the second movie. But I agree, there was no need for it.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Dandesun said:

He was cast after the first movie started filming -- he was a last minute replacement for Dougray Scott (I've said it before and I'll say it again, the best thing to come out of Mission: Impossible 2 is the scheduling conflict that lead to Dougray Scott dropping out as Wolverine).  From day one he's said that he wasn't satisfied with his physical condition in the first film, that it didn't do justice to the character.  I believe I read that he was most satisfied with his body in Wolverine.

Also, just generally, the standards for male leads, particularly in action films, has moved to the "ripped beyond imagination" standard in the past 15-ish years, so that's probably a factor him now.

I'm not sure how I feel about this film.  In isolation it looks okay but viewed as part of a series (or even a series-within-a-series) it's so tonally different from everything that came before it just seems like a cash grab -- like there's no unifying creative vision behind the story just the current trend toward gritty, disgruntled, anti-heroes so they rolled with it.  I hope it stands on its own but I still feel like it's abandoning the franchise.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, dusang said:

He was cast after the first movie started filming -- he was a last minute replacement for Dougray Scott (I've said it before and I'll say it again, the best thing to come out of Mission: Impossible 2 is the scheduling conflict that lead to Dougray Scott dropping out as Wolverine).

Oh YES! Me too. Even reading that Dougray Scott was originally cast as Logan gave me the heebie jeebies. Because he is SO not Logan. So thank you Tom Cruise! (Never thought I'd say that after 2000).

It just seems to me that the stand alone movies of Logan have always been...distanced from the X-Men franchise. None of them have been connected to his what his character has been through or that particular storyline. Well, except for those blechy dreams of Jean in Wolverine. I'm not explaining myself clearly, but there seem to be two continuities going on. Each is separate from the others. So I'm not surprised the tone is different for this last movie. I think it's Jackman's Logan coming full circle, so to speak.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dusang said:

Also, just generally, the standards for male leads, particularly in action films, has moved to the "ripped beyond imagination" standard in the past 15-ish years, so that's probably a factor him now.

It is like a super hero actor arms race that doesn't make a ton of sense. Jackman was crazy built in The Wolverine. Which if the has enhanced super strength would he need to be? Then again why does Hemsworth need to be that ripped to play a super  strong alien, when everyone from his planet, even the non-ripped are super strong. The worst though is probably Starlord. The guy is a human and based on the character's personality am i supposed to believe he spends 6 hours a day working out and eating nothing but space chicken and brown rice?

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

I blame it all on Schwarzenegger. Which begat Dolph in Rocky 4. And then it all went kerfluey. You couldn't just be a tough fightin' guy, you had to be ripped, which is a whole 'nuther thing.

No - in the 80s & 90s you had the Arnolds and the JCVDs but Mel & Bruce & Harrison & Kurt never had to get that ripped. The real bulking came much, much later. Even Gladiator-era Russell wasn't that defined.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1
On 10/21/2016 at 6:04 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I wonder if any other actor had played the same character exclusively for so long in so many movies?

Desmond Llewellyn played Q in 17 Bond movies over the course of 36 years.

• Applause 1
  • Love 4

It is like a super hero actor arms race that doesn't make a ton of sense. Jackman was crazy built in The Wolverine. Which if the has enhanced super strength would he need to be?

Wolverine's skeleton is laced with a metal, so I think he would have to build up his muscles just to move.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
On 10/24/2016 at 3:27 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

It is like a super hero actor arms race that doesn't make a ton of sense. Jackman was crazy built in The Wolverine. Which if the has enhanced super strength would he need to be? Then again why does Hemsworth need to be that ripped to play a super  strong alien, when everyone from his planet, even the non-ripped are super strong. The worst though is probably Starlord. The guy is a human and based on the character's personality am i supposed to believe he spends 6 hours a day working out and eating nothing but space chicken and brown rice?

I think the Wolverine does need some bulk in relation to the other mutants and robots, we see his greatest hits so to speak in the X movies if not his solo movies were he is fighting human ninjas. The extra bulk may come in handy when fighting the Thor's of the universe. When serving as what, Dean at the school Logan did have the time to jack up. As for Starlord with his ship on auto pilot I guess he had time but would he, probably not. It is the Superman or Thor were you wonder how could they find something heavy enough to lift to cause the creation of muscle mass. It was the Spider-Man of Captain America Civil War which finally gave us the physique of a supernatural strength enhancement. And as that actor ages into a more mature Peter Parker will only feel a need to stay lean and not bulked up like Chris Evans was complaining about early in his Marvel career before accepting and glorifying in being Captain America.

• Love 1
On 10/24/2016 at 4:11 PM, dusang said:

He was cast after the first movie started filming -- he was a last minute replacement for Dougray Scott (I've said it before and I'll say it again, the best thing to come out of Mission: Impossible 2 is the scheduling conflict that lead to Dougray Scott dropping out as Wolverine).  From day one he's said that he wasn't satisfied with his physical condition in the first film, that it didn't do justice to the character.  I believe I read that he was most satisfied with his body in Wolverine.

I remember when The Rock first quit wrestling to focus on being an actor/action star, he slimmed down quite a bit in those first few years, he was still in great shape but didn't have anywhere near the muscle mass that he'd had as a wrestler because it was generally felt that you didn't need to be absolutely huge to be an action star at the time.

These days he's bulked back up and is even bigger as an actor than he ever was as a wrestler in his prime.

I wonder if Jackman is somewhat responsible for that trend, bulking up and getting shredded to play a character that's never been known for his great strength or body. So, now, when you have guys who are supposed to be playing the "normal" heroes getting shredded you almost force the guys playing the "strong" heroes to take it to an insane level.

• Love 1
On 10/25/2016 at 8:05 AM, dusang said:

No - in the 80s & 90s you had the Arnolds and the JCVDs but Mel & Bruce & Harrison & Kurt never had to get that ripped. The real bulking came much, much later. Even Gladiator-era Russell wasn't that defined.

14 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I remember when The Rock first quit wrestling to focus on being an actor/action star, he slimmed down quite a bit in those first few years, he was still in great shape but didn't have anywhere near the muscle mass that he'd had as a wrestler because it was generally felt that you didn't need to be absolutely huge to be an action star at the time.

These days he's bulked back up and is even bigger as an actor than he ever was as a wrestler in his prime.

I wonder if Jackman is somewhat responsible for that trend, bulking up and getting shredded to play a character that's never been known for his great strength or body. So, now, when you have guys who are supposed to be playing the "normal" heroes getting shredded you almost force the guys playing the "strong" heroes to take it to an insane level.

It's like the more the average person exercises and puffs up, the more the heroes buff up much more. Extremes as unattainable seem worthless to me.You want to get people to aspire to some phyical condition. Or maybe not. Maybe Hollowood is saying "see how high the bar is raised now? for sure you'll never reach it - might as well go back to the fast food outlet we recommend" 

• Love 1

I am really looking forward to this movie. In large part because Jackman's departure means it will tell a story, and not a story designed to set up the next movie in the franchise. 

• Love 2

I was already hyped about the movie but now I'm SUPER-hyped. Seeing Laura Kinney unleashed was great. Thanks to Stranger Things I'm ready to see more little girls being awesome effing people up. The tag with Patrick Stewart made me LOL!

• Love 2

That trailer, especially the red band version looks amazing. I still remember seeing the first X-men movie in theaters i my early 20's and being super impressed. It is really mind blowing how far comic book movies have come, since while that was good it looks like there is so much more in this. And i will always have a soft spot for this series for being proof that comic book movies full of characters most people have never heard of could work. And because FOX took the risk in trying that i am ok with them making x--men movies as long as they want to.

I am also super excited to see Patrick Stewart back again,  even if like Jackman it is for one last time. While McAvoy did a decent job as the professor, (even though i didn't love Apocalypse) Stewart's was probably one of the most perfect bits of comic movie casting ever. 

• Love 2

I loved it and also thought it was super depressing and sad. I can't believe I've been with these actors/characters for 17 years now. X23 was everything I've hoped for since reading her origin story years ago. That was the Wolverine movie I deserved. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I also enjoyed this immensely. I don't know where they found this X-23 actress. She was amazing. I didn't think they could pull off that character with her being so young, but they did. Hey intro scene was aces. I almost wished they hadn't spoiled it in the trailers.

Edited by jellysalmon
  • Love 2

Logan being the most famous fictional Canadian, it's fitting that his final mission was taking his clone daughter back home.  Also, since Canada is still a safe haven for refugees in 2029, we can conclude that Kellie Leitch doesn't become prime minister; more good news!

Not quite on the level of the best X-Men films, but very good, and a moving sendoff to Jackman and Stewart's time with the characters (amazing that it's been 17 years; we've had three Spider-Men and three Incredible Hulks over the same period).  Dafne Keen was very compelling as X-23, whose presence is also kind of fitting, in that she debuted in the X-Men: Evolution animated series that was created to capitalize on the success of Jackman's first X-Men film.

• Love 2
On 10/23/2016 at 3:34 PM, JBC344 said:

Jackman doesn't actually hate the "acting" of playing Wolverine.  It is the physical transformation that it takes on his body.  He has said that getting out of bed and going to play the character is great it is the 6 months of preparation; weight training, dieting, conditioning he has to put his body thorough.  Which isn't the most healthiest (the training, not his body). 

He is also 48 years old.  Doing that level of training when your 30 is one thing, but the idea of doing that into your 50's is just asking for serious health ailments.

He's undergone these extremes for practically every role, it seems.  For Les Miz, he dropped a bunch of weight.  (Not quite as dramatic as Christian Bale, who starved himself to nothing for The Machinist, then bulked up for Batman, but nonetheless.)  This stuff has to take a toll on your health after a while.

No tears for me, but it is good. Damn good. Deadpool good, though I fear we might get rated-R superhero movies for the sake of having them.

If Jackman and Stewart get acclaimed in 2018, I won't be too surprised. If Ryan Reynolds and Deadpool can get Golden Globe nominations, why not Old Man Logan and Really Old Professor X?

As much crap as people lay upon Marvel for selling their mutants to Fox before the birth of the MCU, that might have been for the best here. We might've gotten a three-hour flick if the creators directly adapted Mark Millar's "Old Man Logan" opus. So much dystopia there. Wanna know what was up Logan's grey ass there? Inbred Hulks. Here, we have Hit-Girl With Claws, Professor Timebomb, Budget Cyborg, Sabretoothier (X-24) and Old, Old Age, and it works a lot better. Once again, a Millar story gets improved upon (see Captain America: Civil War; in the original miniseries,Tony Stark traded steel for pure straw).

I think Logan clocked out near 200 years in the end. I'm thinking he and Creed were in their 20s-30s when they fought in the (American) Civil War. Also: how weird is it that we had a trilogy where the quality went from crap to decent to holy FUCK?

And thanks, Fox, for putting the Deadpool bit before the movie. Wade trying to change in a phone booth? Classic. As was the victim screaming for help for two minutes before he got killed. Really hoping Deadpool #2 (that is the title, right?) can follow the original. BTW, I'll understand if this last paragraph gets moved.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I think Logan clocked out near 200 years in the end. I'm thinking he and Creed were in their 20s-30s when they fought in the (American) Civil War. Also: how weird is it that we had a trilogy where the quality went from crap to decent to holy FUCK?

'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' starts in 1845 so 184 years before 'Logan'. That would put Logan at the mid to late 190s.

I thought the movie was really good. Going into the movie knowing that it was Jackman and Stewart's last film, kind of lessened the impact of their deaths even though I figured Xavier would die based on the scene with Logan burying something in the trailer. I was more surprised by Logan's death, I figured he would survive and the movie would end with him starting a new school for the gifted in Canada, but I'm glad they went the way that they did. I felt really bad for the farmer's family, if Logan and company had simply kept going, they would still be alive. My only complaint is that I wish they would have given Stephen Merchant more to do.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ZoqFotPik said:

I was more surprised by Logan's death, I figured he would survive and the movie would end with him starting a new school for the gifted in Canada, but I'm glad they went the way that they did.

I felt really bad for the farmer's family, if Logan and company had simply kept going, they would still be alive.

1. "You will not be the New X-Men. You are not New Mutants, even though you really are new mutants. I dub thee . . . ALPHA FLIGHT!!! No, that's the perfect mix of vague and stupid."

2. Forgot about those guys. They might as well have been wearing all red, and not because they got bloodied. At least the son died secure in knowing his listening device would be copped by Laura.

Soooo good. This is the X-Men movie I have been waiting for--a "small" movie whose stakes feel incredibly high. No huge big bad, just old age and changing times catching up with you.

Every moment between Logan and Charles was incredible. And the scene of Charles in bed, talking to "Logan"--I can't get it out of my head. Laura was perfect, a revelation.

PS: The Deadpool teaser--did anyone else notice the "Nathan Summers" grafitti?!? Does this mean Cable will be in the sequel?!?

• Love 2

Finally, it took till the 3rd one, but we got an awesome Wolverine movie.  For as dark as it was, they made sure to put in plenty of humor.

4 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Once again, a Millar story gets improved upon (see Captain America: Civil War; in the original miniseries,Tony Stark traded steel for pure straw).

Millar has fantastic ideas, but he needs a filter who can throw out the crap and focus the good ideas into something better.

(edited)
47 minutes ago, lizzbert said:

The Deadpool teaser--did anyone else notice the "Nathan Summers" grafitti?!? Does this mean Cable will be in the sequel?!?

Granted it was something of a joke, but they said as much in the after credits scene.

Edit: Just to be clear, I'm talking about the 'Deadpool' movie. There is nothing during or after the credits in 'Logan'

Edited by ZoqFotPik

I spent the whole movie hoping that Deadpool at least survived the mutant near extinction. Hey, maybe he's the one who established Eden and made the coordinates a meta-reference to a comic book. The altered timeline from Days of Future Past didn't really seem to improve the fate of the X-Men very much.

A very grim and very excellent movie. 

I saw it last night and I thought it was really good.  Really well-done.  Fox finally got a Wolverine movie right and taking a chance on Deadpool allowed them to do this movie.  Speaking of which, fun seeing that DP short in the beginning.

The best part of the movie was definitely the interaction between Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart.  I'm glad both of them got such a strong movie to go out on.  Jackman was terrific and Stewart FINALLY got utilized to the best of his abilities.  I loved the interaction and the road trip with them and they are well-joined by Dafne Keen as Laura.  That kid did a lot by saying little and was a convincing badass.  Boyd Holbrook was a lot of fun as Pierce and was a good villain.

I was curious as to just what went down exactly with the X-Men and what was going on but it wasn't that kind of movie and that's fine.  If I had any complaint, the movie did go on a little long and Logan with the kids felt a lot like Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

Although I hope one day we'll get a truer adaptation of Old Man Logan, I was really happy with what we got.  Great job!

• Love 2
(edited)

Saw it Thursday, but I wanted to wait a few days to fully process it.  After doing that, my opinion remains the same: it might honestly be one of my favorite comic book films of all time.  Did not see this coming, since I was disappointed in Apocalypse and even wasn't as wild about Deadpool as I hoped I would be.

The look and overall feel to the film really felt different to its counterparts.  I agree with a lot of comparisons that it had a No County fro Old Men and Unforgiven vibe to it, and it was basically one big-ass road trip from Hell film, but it was beautiful to look at.  James Mangold seem to be bring some of the same things he brought to the 3:10 to Yuma remake, and it totally worked for me.  The violence was brutal, of course, but it was done in a way that I felt mainly served the story, and wasn't completely just to satisfy the bloodhounds.  It just made the world more scary and dangerous, and seeing the damage Logan was receiving and the pain that came with each hit, really sold his world-weary character.

I don't care how hyperbolic it might be, I truly think Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart gave Oscar-worthy performances in a film that will likely not got any kind of consideration.  Hugh was just memorizing and really sold how beaten down by life Logan was, and how bitter he has become, but still showing some of the passion and heroism when the time called for it.  He reminded me again why his performance is iconic and for a lot of people, he will always be their Wolverine.  As for Stewart, he was just heartbreaking as Xavier.  It was just so sad seeing the once calm and collective genius be rendered ineffective due to a scary illness, but show that the same intelligent man was in there, when he had his lucid moments.  And together, they were fantastic, and really sold the history between both of them, and loyalty, despite the sniping and arguing back and forth.  Just a fantastic show on both of their parts.

Dafne Keen mainly did a lot of physical and facial acting, since Laura was mainly mute, but she held her own with her experienced co-stars.  Love the scene when she is first getting ready to unleash her wrath, and the way she drops her backpack (after throwing a severed head!), and slowly begins walking towards those poor doomed goons.  Curious to see where she goes next, assuming she is sticking around in the franchise.

On paper, Donald Price was your average mercenary-type villain, but Boyd Holbrook made him one of my favorite comic book film villains in quite some time.  Kind of surprising, since I don't hate him on Narcos, but his Steve Murphy is kind of a stick in the mud on that show.  But I really got a kick out his cocky swagger and dark sense of humor, and he also sold Price as a legit threat to Logan, which is easier said then done.  Did enjoy his fate though.  A fitting end.  Dr. Rice had less to do, but Richard E. Grant gave a classic sinister Richard E. Grant performance!

Really enjoyed Stephen Merchant as Caliban.  I need to quit being surprised when comedians give good performances, because that tends to happen a lot, lately (see: Bob Odenkirk, Louis C.K.)  Fun seeing Fear the Walking Dead's Elizabeth Rodriquez pop up for a second as Gabriela.

I figured going in that neither Logan or Xavier where making it out alive, but both of their death scenes were well done.  Sad, but also a bit of a relief since they were suffering so much, and now they could hopefully be at peace.  In particular, Logan's "So, this is what it feels like?" (or something similar.  Can't remember his exact words), really hit home.

I was wondering if they would work in Johnny Cash's "Hurt" somehow since the trailers used it, but using his "When the Man Comes Around" works just as well.

Did not see the X-24 bit coming.  Not sure how much was make-up and how much was CGI, but the de-aging of Hugh Jackman was just as great as the one Ant-Man did with Michael Douglas and Captain America: Civil War did with Robert Downey Jr.  Kind of getting scary, actually!

The only real complaint I might have would be that they maybe spent a bit too much time on Eriq Le Salle and the rancher family, but it was still nice seeing Logan, Xavier, and Laura getting a brief moment of reprisal, and then, of course, it all crashing down on them.  Asking them to dinner was the worst thing that family could have ever done.

The Deadpool opening was amusing, and it was smarter to do it first, and not after the credits, because after the emotional ending, it would have been extremely jarring.

Nothing much else to say, really.  Great film, all around.  Thank you, Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart for help bringing to life two of my favorite comic book characters of all time.  

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 3/3/2017 at 9:00 AM, SeanC said:

Logan being the most famous fictional Canadian, it's fitting that his final mission was taking his clone daughter back home.  Also, since Canada is still a safe haven for refugees in 2029, we can conclude that Kellie Leitch doesn't become prime minister; more good news!

I thought that Logan's James Howlett origin story in the comic books retconned away his Canadian roots, but I checked Wikipedia and nope, James Howlett was born in Canada (in Cold Lake, no less!). Ha!

The script was generally very tight, so I'll forgive the clunky Shane references. (But seriously, we get it already.) I'm glad we also got an explanation near the end as to why no mutants had been born for 25 years. There were still plenty of issues, though. I won't list them all here, but I will say that the idea that a bunch of ruthless, heavily-armed psychopaths who spent most of the movie torturing and murdering everyone who got in their way and cutting a bloody swathe of destruction across the US would stop cold at the border and shrug their shoulders once the kids successfully crossed into Canada was ridiculous. Also, how would Charles fail to recognize that X-24 wasn't Logan? Lastly, Donald Pierce was very underwritten; Boyd Holbrook didn't have much to do except order goons around, smirk, and roll his eyes knowingly. 

Excellent performances all around. Aside from the leads, who were all extremely good, Stephen Merchant's Caliban stood out.

Some surprises in the end credits: mentions of Ontario and the BC government. Were some of the effects groups Canadian? Also, oncologist Siddhartha Mukherjee, author of The Emperor of All Maladies, was thanked. I wonder if he consulted on the film.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 2

Just saw this movie. This was probably the best comic book movie even though it didn't feel like a comic book movie. It felt like an action movie that happened to have two people that had knife claws. 

I wasn't sure how it was going to go with X-23 being so young, but Dafne Keen did an amazing job bringing that intensity and rage that Wolverine had. She was believable as a badass. I loved that she could talk the whole time and just didn't want too or trusted Logan enough too. It made their ending scene that much more poignant, I was fine with her calling him daddy then.  I loved watching them fight together. I hope too see more movies with Laura. 

I can see that maybe this movie will be treated more like an action drama movie than a comic book movie, because Jackman and Stewart gave it their all. They both put in some amazing performances. X-24 was an interesting surprise. I figured it was another Wolverine when they showed a man's body but it was spoiled anywhere. 

I did like the Deadpool teaser in the beginning since they've been teasing Deadpool and Wolverine for awhile, so getting to see Deadpool before Logan was fun. 

• Love 1

I just saw this movie and I really did like it. Although, now I want to get a copy of those X-Men comics and just read them. 

That being said, the only real question that I have is this:

- Were X-23 Laura and the guy that looked a lot like Logan was supposed to be his clones or his actual children (meaning that they were artificially inseminated and had separate mothers- who were probably those Mexican women that the nurse's video mentioned)? Because I always thought that they were his children more then clones (and yes, I am aware of the comic book story that in the comics Laura was supposed to be a female clone of his but throughout the movie the sense that I got was that they were more like his children that were genetically engineered to have his power set).

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, TVSpectator said:

That being said, the only real question that I have is this:

- Were X-23 Laura and the guy that looked a lot like Logan was supposed to be his clones or his actual children (meaning that they were artificially inseminated and had separate mothers- who were probably those Mexican women that the nurse's video mentioned)? Because I always thought that they were his children more then clones (and yes, I am aware of the comic book story that in the comics Laura was supposed to be a female clone of his but throughout the movie the sense that I got was that they were more like his children that were genetically engineered to have his power set).

I did wonder if they were supposed to be direct clones or if other people's genetic material was mixed in (Dafne Keen's mother is Spanish, which I think is part of it).

In the comics, Wolverine always referred to X-23 as his sister, since she was a clone based solely on his genetic material.  In the movie everyone calls her his daughter, by comparison.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 1