Type keyword(s) to search

Donald John Trump: 2016 President-Elect

Ok, if there's anybody here willing to admit they voted for Trump, I have a genuine question. 

Why? I don't mean "why vote against Hilary", I am genuinely curious. I mean, looking at Trump in isolation, forget about anybody else in the picture. Why should people have voted for him? Which of his policies or speeches or public appearances made you say "yes, this is who should be president"

• Love 6

Great question and I'd like to ask another. Why does his manifest unfitness for office not bother you at all? According to every single poll, more than 70% of this country thinks he's unqualified and unfit for this office, so I know that we can almost all agree on that.

Is it that you think this is an easy job? Do you really think that he should have the nuclear codes and be commander of the military when he knows nothing about any issue whatsoever? Do you think that he can actually handle the responsibilities of this office or do you think that the presidency is mostly a figurehead position or something?

Because if you think it's mostly a ceremonial position with no actual power, then I guess I can kind of understand why you'd think this guy can handle that, but....it's not. At all. Why do you think that he is capable of actually doing this? Character issues aside, do you think that there is no genuine risk of having an ignorant person in such a powerful position?

• Love 13
1 minute ago, ClareWalks said:

Good news, gang: there's a Twitter update! *rolls eyes super hard*

TrumpFlipFlop.JPG

Jesus. And on CNN they were like, "Okay, that's a nice tone, that's good that he's doing that," as if it's not completely obvious that someone alerted him to the fact that his previous tweet was not cool and the pundits were talking about it and he needs to strike a more "presidential" tone and made him tweet something nicer.

• Love 12

I just love that he thinks he can win the election while losing the popular vote, but what's "unfair" is that people are expressing disagreement. It is now unfair to say "I don't like that rich, powerful, white man." And people call the Democrats whiners.

• Love 12

I mean, at this point this is all so terrible that it is actually good news, comparatively speaking, that there's someone on his team who tells him: "Hey, maybe hold it now, huh?" Depressing times...

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Tara said:

Well, he kind of can.

And did. He lost the vote; he won the election.

Though I'm not sure that a modest electoral college win while actually losing the popular vote, and achieving fewer votes that the past two Republican presidential candidates, qualifies as an overwhelming victory that earns a mandate, as the folks on the Hill are proclaiming.

Also, watching Paul Ryan kissing Trump's ass now made me think of a relative who never calls, never writes, and doesn't give two shits suddenly sucking up to the uncle they just learned won the Powerball.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 12

There are arguments for and against the electoral college.

One pro guy said without it, the heavily-populated west and east coast states would would determine every election, thereby taking away the voice of middle America.  He jokingly said, if California decided it needed to drain the Great Lakes for water, we'd have a quick national vote and it'd be done.  Kidding aside, the electoral vote was enacted to protect the interests of the middle states.  So, in effect, each state picks its winner, and those results are weighted by number of people living in that state. 

For example, California has 55 electoral votes, while Nebraska has 5.  But Nebraskan's interests may be much different than a typical Californian's.  Without the electoral college, on issues where Nebraskans have a vital interest in something that Californians couldn't give a hoot about, Nebraskans would get shortchanged every time.

The electoral college was formed in an effort to give every American a fair voice in issues that matter to them.  It was a thoughtful process.  Without it, the heavily populated states would run the show, at the expense of the little guy.

You cut off the back half of what I said. He thinks it's unfair that people are expressing disagreement.

You are correct, I should not have.  I missed your point.

• Love 4

News shows this morning are showing Ellen DeGeneres' monolog from yesterday:  "We had an election yesterday.  Big winner was...alcohol."  First time I smiled since November 8th.

@Ceindreadh and @ruby24,  I personally find listening to people who voted for DJT explain their reasons for doing so, to be an exercise in futility.    So many of the harmful, dangerous things that Trump espoused -- and that his rally supporters cheered WILDLY for -- are now pooh-poohed by his fans.  For example...oh we don't believe he's really gonna build a wall...oh there will never a deportation force....oh he's not going to be a warmonger....

So that leaves me feeling that there were really only TWO things his supporters lived and died by:

(1)  Utter belief that Trump is a "great and successful businessman" who can singlehandedly shake up the DC establishment,  fix the economy and create millions of jobs.  AND...

(2)  Hatred of Secretary Clinton.

I have deeply-felt conclusions about the TRUE reasons Trump diehards would rather pick up their "muskets"  than see Hillary in the Oval Office, but there's no point in indulging myself here.   I will say only that this country's major parties will not nominate another woman as president for at least another generation.

With the newest revelations about Trump's Russian ties, with Gingrich's breezy admittance that THE WALL was a campaign device, with Kelly's book-revelations of Trump's attempted and/or successful bribery of journalists and the inside help he received from Fox News...these things are the tip of the iceberg.  I think we will be appalled and infuriated by ongoing news of the machinations involved in the Trump victory.

Watching him in DC yesterday, I saw and felt a man completely out of his element.  And, yes, a scared man, too.  Much will depend on the people he surrounds himself with, as well as his willingness to educate and to enlighten himself. To read voraciously.  I don't feel optimistic at all.

And now that Trump is getting the highest-level security briefings every morning, when he sees our covert ops around the world, our undercover human operatives, our planned maneuvers and attacks?  How do we trust that either he or one of his advisors won't run to the Russians with our secrets, for leverage or for personal profit?  My trust is nil.

So, I no longer care a bit why his supporters gave him their votes.  We are ALL stuck with him now.  I hope our press remains hypervigilant because Trump will do his utmost to marginalize their watchdog duties to the public.

• Love 17

He'll probably want to enact a law that would force the cool celebrities to show up and hang with him . 

Hmmm, I've seen this somewhere before. Some doofus dictator in North Korea, I think...

My brother voted for Orange because he will end all abortions. My brother hopes he'll tack on the death penalty for baby killing doctors and women. My SIL voted for Orange because she felt he laid some solid burns on HRC. I wish I was making this up. 

I don't get this idea that we have to like our candidates on a personal level or want to have a beer with them in order to vote for them. There's plenty of people I'd have a glass of champagne with but wouldn't put in charge of a school of fish. 

• Love 9
5 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Great question and I'd like to ask another. Why does his manifest unfitness for office not bother you at all? According to every single poll, more than 70% of this country thinks he's unqualified and unfit for this office, so I know that we can almost all agree on that.

Is it that you think this is an easy job? Do you really think that he should have the nuclear codes and be commander of the military when he knows nothing about any issue whatsoever? Do you think that he can actually handle the responsibilities of this office or do you think that the presidency is mostly a figurehead position or something?

I did not vote for Trump, but imo the answer to your question, for a great number of people, is: YES. I have observed a disheartening trend of "we don't need no experts". Why should we listen to professional news sources with their editorial standards when we can just read Reddit? Why do we need pathologists when we can google WebMD? Why do we need qualified, dedicated people in public office when we can just park one of our buddies in the Oval Office and git 'er done? This is some weird "everyman" bullshit that has caught hold.

45 minutes ago, Tara said:

The electoral college was formed in an effort to give every American a fair voice in issues that matter to them.  It was a thoughtful process.  Without it, the heavily populated states would run the show, at the expense of the little guy.

Thank you. It certainly has its pluses and minuses but I am getting discouraged that so many people think it serves NO purpose. It was designed to stop pure mob rule and give some protection to minority views. There was an idea behind it besides "white men! slaveholders!".

39 minutes ago, sleekandchic said:

So that leaves me feeling that there were really only TWO things his supporters lived and died by:

(1)  Utter belief that Trump is a "great and successful businessman" who can singlehandedly shake up the DC establishment,  fix the economy and create millions of jobs.  AND...

You left out #3: Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Churches got out the vote this year, and they weren't steering their parishioners to the baby killing harlot in the pantsuit, they were voting for God's Own Party. It may have a rotting pumpkin for a figurehead but imo these voters are counting on Pence et. al. to set back reproductive rights, marriage equality, and LGBTQ progress. But mainly reproductive rights.

• Love 4

I don't get this idea that we have to like our candidates on a personal level or want to have a beer with them in order to vote for them. There's plenty of people I'd have a glass of champagne with but wouldn't put in charge of a school of fish. 

Total honesty: I don't really like Hillary Clinton, either. On a completely personal level, she seems stiff and standoffish and maybe a little too calculated. (And, as has been dissected hundreds of times this election cycle, that was a huge part of her problem.) But I voted for her in the primaries, and I voted for her in the general, because I believed she was eminently competent and qualified for the job, which, to me, should be the chief concern in selecting a Commander-in-Chief. And more importantly, I did not fear for the direction or safety of the country under her leadership. I 100% could not say the same for Donald Trump. I do not like him, either, but while I just think Hillary Clinton is dull and humorless, I find Donald Trump to be abhorrent as a human being for many, many reasons, many of which he blurted out himself in the past year and a half. I believe there is something dark and broken in his psyche, and I do not trust him to be in charge of the fate of the nation. So, no, I don't like Donald Trump. I don't even hate him. I'm terrified of him.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 14
11 minutes ago, Chicken Wing said:

I believe there is something dark and broken in his psyche, and I do not trust him to be in charge of the fate of the nation.

At best he's merely delusional (exhibit A: first tweet as PE), but I truly believe he's a sociopath.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, random chance said:

At best he's merely delusional (exhibit A: first tweet as PE), but I truly believe he's a sociopath.

I am torn between sociopathy -- antisocial personality disorder -- and narcissistic personality disorder, which he displays in fucking spades. He likely has both.

• Love 12

Harry Reid has spoken, y'all:

We as a nation must find a way to move forward without consigning those who Trump has threatened to the shadows. Their fear is entirely rational, because Donald Trump has talked openly about doing terrible things to them.

If this is going to be a time of healing, we must first put the responsibility for healing where it belongs: at the feet of Donald Trump, a sexual predator who lost the popular vote and fueled his campaign with bigotry and hate.

If Trump wants to roll back the tide of hate he unleashed, he has a tremendous amount of work to do and he must begin immediately.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 15

We've already seen who he surrounds himself with and Mr. I'll Drain the Swamp in Washington keeps recruiting more of the same Washington insiders he led his believers to believe he never would.  Today I see he's dragged Ed Meese out from under some ancient rock.

• Love 7

Main Points:

• The election of Donald Trump has emboldened the forces of hate and bigotry in America.
  • “White nationalists, Vladimir Putin and ISIS are celebrating Donald Trump’s victory, while innocent, law-abiding Americans are wracked with fear – especially African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Muslim Americans, LGBT Americans and Asian Americans.
  • Watching white nationalists celebrate while innocent Americans cry tears of fear does not feel like America.
  • Hispanic Americans who fear their families will be torn apart, African Americans being heckled on the street, Muslim Americans afraid to wear a headscarf, gay and lesbian couples having slurs hurled at them and feeling afraid to walk down the street holding hands.
  • American children waking up in the middle of the night crying, terrified that Trump will take their parents away.
  • Young girls unable to understand why a man who brags about sexually assaulting women has been elected president.
  • Love 11

Ok, so I guess Trump is slated to be the next President (I say slated because I am not 100% convinced that he will actually go through with it.)   Going forward, how is this going to work?  He now is the leader of the entire country, not just the rah-rah kool-aid drinkers at his rallies.  I don't think that he is capable of understanding WHY people are protesting against him or WHY the disgusting things that he said during the campaign have people truly frightened.  So now, I NEED journalists to sit down and force him to reconcile all of this, to the point that he is capable, and to have his posse address these things as well.  Not deny that he ever said them, not downplay what he said or say that it was misconstrued, but actually and truly take responsibility for this stuff.  And all of the hypocritical Republicans who are now falling over themselves to work with him, THEY need to be held accountable too, and I want to hear specifics on how they are going to control him and stop this country from becoming a dictatorship or fascist regime.  They also need to admit that they understand why people are so unhappy with Trump.  I'm not asking them to sympathize because they never, ever will, but I want to hear that they understand.  

As far as the whys, it just doesn't make sense to me.  People say that want someone who is not a political insider.  Well, they're getting Guiliani and Gingrich. They say that they want an end to corruption (I mean, really, with this guy) and biased media.  Well, welcome to Goldman Sachs and Breitbart (not even Fox news but fucking Breitbart!).  These are the people he is going to surround himself with.  At the same time, he HAS to walk back some of the stuff he said.  He can't jail Hillary, he can't force Mexico to pay for a wall,  he can't magically bring factory jobs back to Detroit.  So WHO exactly is going to be happy with him at the end of the day?  And I just can't imagine that he is going to be able handle losing support from all sides.  I know people who have voted for Trump (though they absolutely will not admit it now that he has actually won, go figure), and they can't/couldn't advocate for Trump without saying HIllary's name.  I didn't love HIllary either, but I could go on about her qualifications without ever mentioning Trump's name.  How are the many lawsuits pending against him going to work?  How will his banishment of the press work?  How will his many conflicts of interest work? How is a man with his temperment and narcissism going to lead a country with this much division?  Sure, Obama did it, some may argue with the degree of success, but Trump is not Obama (understatement of the year).  I understand that he has a republican congress, but I'm not even talking about lawmaking.  I'm talking about leadership and governance.  How will he be able to do it?

ETA - because I was posting before the Harry Reid stuff came out.  Maybe I am being delusional, but the stuff that Harry Reid just said, is the stuff that I need to hear from Paul Ryan, Mike Pence, Preibus, etc.  I know better than to think that I will EVER hear from Rudy or Newt, but I need someone in the Republican party to acknowledge who their candidate is and what they are going to do to control him.

One last edit, because while I do need to hear acknowledgments about what their candidate is, they can shove their calls for unity up their asses.  Trump won based on a campaign of hatred and divisiveness.  Calls for unity from him and his ilk now that they are actually in charge of this unholy mess, are completely meaningless.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 17
1 minute ago, Tara said:

Main Points:

• The election of Donald Trump has emboldened the forces of hate and bigotry in America.
  • “White nationalists, Vladimir Putin and ISIS are celebrating Donald Trump’s victory, while innocent, law-abiding Americans are wracked with fear – especially African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Muslim Americans, LGBT Americans and Asian Americans.
  • Watching white nationalists celebrate while innocent Americans cry tears of fear does not feel like America.
  • Hispanic Americans who fear their families will be torn apart, African Americans being heckled on the street, Muslim Americans afraid to wear a headscarf, gay and lesbian couples having slurs hurled at them and feeling afraid to walk down the street holding hands.
  • American children waking up in the middle of the night crying, terrified that Trump will take their parents away.
  • Young girls unable to understand why a man who brags about sexually assaulting women has been elected president.

And while we can debate over the extent to which these are occurring, or the significance of it, there's no getting around the fact that every one of these things is true.

• Love 8

American children waking up in the middle of the night crying, terrified that Trump will take their parents away.

Really?  It's bullshit like that that takes away from reality, and makes people not listen.

If that is true, there's more nonsense going on in those households than Trump being President.

4 minutes ago, Tara said:

Really?  It's bullshit like that that takes away from reality, and makes people not listen.

If that is true, there's more nonsense going on in those households than Trump being President.

It's not bullshit or nonsense when it's true. We've heard already about the American-born children of immigrants who are now afraid that their parents will be deported, asking their mothers and fathers if that's going to happen, asking their teachers if that's going to happen. And why do they think that? Because it's precisely what Trump said he would do. We have no idea yet if he will make good on any of the things he said he would do as president, we have no idea which ones are serious, which ones were ever serious, which ones were just campaign-speak, which ones are even plausible, but the possibilities have people anxious, and young children scared.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, sleekandchic said:

(1)  Utter belief that Drumpf is a "great and successful businessman" who can singlehandedly shake up the DC establishment,  fix the economy and create millions of jobs.  AND...

I think people are in danger of underestimating the true desire for change that a lot of his supporters held. They saw someone who promised them things would get better, and who pointed the finger at all politicians, calling them corrupt and saying the system is broken. People responded to that. That's what they wanted to be told.

Bernie Sanders had a similar message, running against Wall Street interests and big money, and people responded to that too. Americans are sick of politicians who seem to be too big to notice them, that's where the whole 'drain the swamp' mantra came from. It's the same in the UK, where disdain for politicians has depressed voter turnout to the extent that the Tories walked back into govt last year. They're not popular now, they weren't popular then, but too many people who might have voted against them just couldn't be bothered to vote at all, because they saw all the political parties as being the same, self-absorbed, self-interested entities.

Those people in the rust belt states wanted someone to tell them their lives could be better. And the only two people who did were Trump and Sanders. So a lot of them decided to vote for Trump.

In regards to your second point, hatred of Clinton was definitely a factor. She got something like 6 million less votes than Obama, and that comes down to all of the factors that worked against her: She's seen as untrustworthy, as a threat to national security, as corrupt, as a Wall Street stooge and political insider. A lot of that is right wing spin, going back years. But notice how much of it is based on the ideas I already mentioned. 'You shouldn't vote for Clinton because she's one of those politicians who have ignored you for years'.

The Democrats need to get more people to believe that they're listening, and they want to help.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

I think people are in danger of underestimating the true desire for change that a lot of his supporters held. They saw someone who promised them things would get better, and who pointed the finger at all politicians, calling them corrupt and saying the system is broken. People responded to that. That's what they wanted to be told.

Bernie Sanders had a similar message, running against Wall Street interests and big money, and people responded to that too. Americans are sick of politicians who seem to be too big to notice them, that's where the whole 'drain the swamp' mantra came from. It's the same in the UK, where disdain for politicians has depressed voter turnout to the extent that the Tories walked back into govt last year. They're not popular now, they weren't popular then, but too many people who might have voted against them just couldn't be bothered to vote at all, because they saw all the political parties as being the same, self-absorbed, self-interested entities.

Those people in the rust belt states wanted someone to tell them their lives could be better. And the only two people who did were Trump and Sanders. So a lot of them decided to vote for Trump.

In regards to your second point, hatred of Clinton was definitely a factor. She got something like 6 million less votes than Obama, and that comes down to all of the factors that worked against her: She's seen as untrustworthy, as a threat to national security, as corrupt, as a Wall Street stooge and political insider. A lot of that is right wing spin, going back years. But notice how much of it is based on the ideas I already mentioned. 'You shouldn't vote for Clinton because she's one of those politicians who have ignored you for years'.

The Democrats need to get more people to believe that they're listening, and they want to help.

I think that these are great points.  But now that Trump is filling the swamp right back up with all the people that are part of the problem, and he is doing the things that people hated Hillary for (getting into bed with Wall Street, etc.), where do these people go from here?  When their lives DON"T get better and Trump isn't the ONLY ONE who can fix things, then what?  When the dreaded Obamacare is rolled back and people still can't get affordable insurance or any insurance? This is all going to become apparent sooner rather than later. So what happens then?  Trump is a con artist and I think even his supporters will come to see that eventually.  I just hope that things don't get too drastic before that happens.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 18

Reid is telling us that the people Trump threatened will not be forgotten or thrown under the bus. Good for him. We need to hear that. It's not negative to assure vulnerable people you will protect them.

There is an interesting phenomenon that has been going on for some time in American politics. One party will suggest, say, stupid, homophobic bathroom bills or sign off on torture, and when people speak up and say it's not cool, others will clutch their shirt collars and get uncomfortable and tell you that objecting to bad things is making things worse. If a police officer guns down an unarmed African-American man and you suggest there might be a racial component, there are always plenty of people who can't wait to call you a polarizing racist.

I get that some people don't like confrontation, but ignoring problems doesn't make them disappear. Kids really are upset and pretending crying children is an urban legend doesn't make it go away. My niece was devastated. She's real. Fighting against hate isn't the same as hating. Calling racist acts and behaviors racist isn't cruelty, it's naming a problem we all need to work on. 

• Love 19
13 hours ago, callmebetty said:

22 MINUTES AGO, RUBY24 SAID:

Good. No one should bow down to this asshole. He's a monster and should be treated like one.

I don't want to see any Hollywood celebrities at this White House- I have a feeling most of them will stay away.

I forsee a lot of championship sports teams having many members abstaining from the White House visit.

I forsee the correspondent dinner being very sparse .  

I forsee me never watching Jimmy Fallon again, because if he thinks he can have that thing on slow jamming the news in the future .

And these are all just superficial things. 

But if all the thing cares about is the superficial then he's going be really surprised.

He'll probably want to enact a law that would force the cool celebrities to show up and hang with him . 

Moved over from post election anxiety thread

Yes, I thought of the fact what artists, musicians, actors, etc. are going to want to attend White House events, like State Dinners & concerts?  Chachi & Chuck Norris are going to show up?!  The Obamas always had cool concerts and invited new artists.  The Kennedys had more Classical musicians and artists attend events, but always very classy.  Will the Trumps be hanging gold wallpaper in the personal living areas?!

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

I think that these are great points.  But now that Drumpf is filling the swamp right back up with all the people that are part of the problem, and he is doing the things that people hated Hillary for (getting into bed with Wall Street, etc.), where do these people go from here?  When their lives DON"T get better and Drumpf isn't the ONLY ONE who can fix things, then what?  When the dreaded Obamacare is rolled back and people still can't get affordable insurance or any insurance? This is all going to become apparent sooner rather than later. So what happens then?  Drumpf is a con artist and I think even his supporters will come to see that eventually.  I just hope that things don't get too drastic before that happens.

He can't serve two masters, at least not on every issue. His supporters expect him to clean up Washington and bring their jobs back. The GOP will not let him do those things. He talks of being less hawkish abroad, and of having a friendlier relationship with Russia, and of doing away with trade deals. The GOP hate all those ideas. They want him to fall in line as a traditional Republican, and push traditional Republican issues. It will be interesting to see which side wins out. Unfortunately, the one area where their interests coincide is immigration. 

There's something else that will be interesting to watch as well. Approval polls. They're a regular feature of political life, and one that Trump has never been exposed to before. How will he react if his polls are low, or if they start to drop? Will he demand quick action to shore them up? Will he lash out at those around him for not helping him be popular?

And going back to considering the reasons that he won and Hillary lost, I just want to make another point: He didn't win Wisconsin, Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania because the people there are racist. Those states all came out big for Obama, twice. He won there because a lot of people think their lives are worse than they used to be. It ain't called the Rust Belt for nothing. And considering Clinton barely campaigned there, even after losing some of those states to Sanders in the primaries, it's understandable that many didn't feel she was going to help them.

I read an article today that talks about this, and said that Bill was pushing and pushing for them to visit those states, to talk to the working class voters and assure them. Hillary's strategists said no. Said they had statistics and infographics that told them it wasn't necessary. Can you imagine how different the world would feel today if just a hundred thousand more people in two or three of those states had felt that Clinton might be on their side?

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Yes, I thought of the fact what artists, musicians, actors, etc. are going to want to attend White House events, like State Dinners & concerts?  Chachi & Chuck Norris are going to show up?!  The Obamas always had cool concerts and invited new artists.  The Kennedys had more Classical musicians and artists attend events, but always very classy.  Will the Trumps be hanging gold wallpaper in the personal living areas?!

Unfortunately, there are enough people who are such star fucks, they will eventually attend those events.  Some of them are just undercover with it and won't admit that they supported the Big Yam so as not to screw up their own brands.  However, I found this interesting little article in The Washington Post yesterday about the fact there isn't an inaugural booking frenzy in D.C.  Plenty of Room in the Inns

I suspect that will change with time, of course.  Nor, does it help that the cost of the rooms are ridiculously high.  But, I remember the booking frenzies immediately after President Obama was elected and reelected.  Eleanor Holmes Norton's office received so many calls for inaugural tickets that she finally had to put up a message on her site basically telling her constituents to leave her the fuck alone and stop calling because she didn't have anymore tickets.  Ticketmaster and other sites crashed because the demand was so great.  Hotel bookings went through the roof.  Things got so bad that D.C. residents placed classified ads in the paper offering their homes to guests and inflated rates to people who were desperately looking for a place to stay.  And, those homes and rooms were snatched up quick, fast and in a hurry.  A lot of us received phone calls from excited friends and relatives who wanted us to "use our influence" (ha!) to get them tickets to the one of the several inaugural balls around town.  Never mind that we couldn't get tickets for ourselves!

All of the offices and businesses within a certain perimeter of the parade route received word from Secret Service that they would have to close for security reasons--something that never happened before.  So, it was like a holiday for us.  Our already overburdened subway system had to figure out a way to transport over a million people to and from events that day.  We weren't even allowed to stay in our office overnight (as we hoped) so that we could catch the parade from the rooftop of the building (a definite security risk we later learned due to concerns about the new president's safety).  So that nixed that plan.  We also thought we could spend the night and just simply join the parade route the following morning.  Well, that plan was nixed also because Secret Service did a sweep of the building and made sure there were stragglers left behind.

I just don't see that kind of excitement here yet.  Obviously, there was a different reason that people wanted to come to Washington for Obama's inauguration--to witness history.  Maybe it will change as the shock wears off.  Who knows?

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Not just any gold wallpaper, folks. The best gold wallpaper. Tremendous gold wallpaper. The best gold wallpaper the world has ever seen. It's gonna be terrific, folks.

• Love 22
57 minutes ago, MulletorHater said:

Unfortunately, there are enough people who are such star fucks, they will eventually attend those events.  Some of them are just undercover with it and won't admit that they supported the Big Yam so as not to screw up their own brands.  However, I found this interesting little article in The Washington Post yesterday about the fact there isn't an inaugural booking frenzy in D.C.  Plenty of Room in the Inns

Might be a good time to book for the Million Woman March  happening the day after the inauguration.

42 minutes ago, Constantinople said:

Either that or he'll get his foundation to foot the bill.

Bingo! We have a winner!

Or he'll get one of his businesses to cater. With wine from whosit's winery. People flown in on the Trumpjet. Endless opportunities to grift!

I'd love to see the bills he sumbitted to the RNC. Wish someone would leak that.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Tara said:

I'm sorry, but that statement does nothing but reinforce racism and fear, and perhaps even create a bit more. 

Reading the list of points in it, it sounds like he's listed actual facts and I'm not sure how it reinforces racism or fear. He's reassuring those people that they matter. That seems like a really good instinct to me. 

1 hour ago, Tara said:

But Trump campaigned on these things. And it's not just immigrant children that this filtered down to either. White children are teasing them with the idea as well. Trump's campaign was simple enough to work in elementary school. It doesn't matter whether he's doing it right now or not, he's addressing the real consequences of what Trump's said and the fears that he needs to address. This isn't parents telling their kids Obama was going to make them slaves now that he was president, it's Trump's actual words. Even his supporters can only defend it with, "He didn't mean literally."

• Love 19
13 minutes ago, Ocean Chick said:

A lot of the so-called "action hero" actors endorsed The Rump Roast, so maybe instead of singing and dancing, they'll just have a staged mock-fight between Chuck Norris and Steven Segal?  Winner gets to kick Chachi's butt.

Steven Seagal is a musician. At least he says so.

The album's not completely awful. Almost...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

Reading the list of points in it, it sounds like he's listed actual facts and I'm not sure how it reinforces racism or fear. He's reassuring those people that they matter. That seems like a really good instinct to me. 

But Trump campaigned on these things. And it's not just immigrant children that this filtered down to either. White children are teasing them with the idea as well. Trump's campaign was simple enough to work in elementary school. It doesn't matter whether he's doing it right now or not, he's addressing the real consequences of what Trump's said and the fears that he needs to address. This isn't parents telling their kids Obama was going to make them slaves now that he was president, it's Trump's actual words. Even his supporters can only defend it with, "He didn't mean literally."

To your point, I saw a clip of a middle school lunchroom in Detroit.... DETROIT! where the students were seen and heard chanting "build that wall".  The student who recorded the whole thing said racially motivated bullying had picked up in the last couple of months.  

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/students-chant-build-wall-middle-school-cafeteria-day/story%3Fid%3D43451771?client=ms-android-sprint-us

So any Trump fan out there stupid enough to think his rhetotic isnt taken seriously or literally...think again.  If this kind of crap is going on in Detroit, then you better believe its happening in less diverse cities.   

Edited by FuriousStyles
  • Love 18

Just saw a list of Trump's transition team.  Guess who's on it (among many others, including three of his children and his son in law)?  Florida AG Pam Bondi.  Now, we might all recall that she and Trump both swore up and down that they don't even know each other, in the wake of the accusation that the (illegal) donation to her campaign was a payoff for her dropping the state's investigation into Trump U.  But, look at that, they certainly know each other well enough for her to have earned an invite to the table now that he's going to be President.  

• Love 15
6 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

If this kind of crap is going on in Detroit, then you better believe its happening in less diverse cities.   

Yup. In the next town over, a car full of white male college guys yelled "get out, n*****, this is our country" at a black female student who was walking down the street. "President Trump" scares me, but his followers scare me more.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, stormy said:

What the hell is Jason Chaffetz going to do with himself if trump doesn't sign off on his investigating Hillary and the Clinton Foundation?

Congress doesn't need permission from the President to do what they want to do.

• Love 1