Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Orange is the New Yuck!

roeflem
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Tanichka said:

Let’s keep them without one, shall we?

I never thought that was the right format for her.

She should have had a show on MSNBC. Megyn is not likeable enough for morning TV. She is grating.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Pickles said:

She’s out, but will walk away with $69 million. Sickening. She probably isn’t too sad. Bet she will end up back on Fox. And write a book. 

Hopefully Megyn will give some of her money to charity.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, oakville said:

She’s out, but will walk away with $69 million. Sickening. She probably isn’t too sad. Bet she will end up back on Fox. And write a book. 

Well, she "worked" one season, so she would be walking with $46 million if she is paid for the remaining two years. I would think there is some clause I the contract that she broke with the comments.

• Love 3

Politics aside, I think Megyn Kelly is a moron.  ANY nationally televised personality on a network widely recognized as extremely liberal, and with half the IQ and self awareness of an avocado should know that "blackface" is WRONG.  Always was and always will be, in ANY circumstance. And here's a helpful heads up, Megyn- it also NOT OK to put on war paint to "portray" Native Americans.  Nor is it OK to hold up the corner of one's eyes to "honor" Asians. And don't stick on a fake Bindi to "celebrate" Indian women. Mmmkay?  There's your "How Not to Be a Racist in 2018" lesson for the day.

Yes, she has college degrees, was a lawyer & has been on TV interviewing lots of people in powerful positions. She is dumb as a brick on that morning show.  If she is spouting a political opinion essay, she sounds OK (whether I agree or not with the sentiment- she can express herself well in those pieces).  But as soon as she tries to engage with guests or chat about basic everyday things that basic everyday people deal with (cooking, parenting, shopping, work-home balance), she shows her true ignorance.  She seems baffled by simple kitchen tools or understanding how to get through a working parent's day.  I don't know her background, but I don't think she was born into the lap of luxury with servants to do everything for her.  So one would think at some point between the ages of 6 & 22, she would have had a passing encounter with a frickin' apple corer or a crock pot.  Or at lease heard those words spoken.  Yet she has the same look of bewilderment in her "cooking" segments as young chimpanzee in the wild being handed a 2 piece puzzle for the first time.  Being an accomplished person with an education and successful career is admirable, and I don't think she should be a 50's housewife.  I just think she looks like a unrelatable fool when she tries to interact with anyone she isn't interrogating interviewing.

I don't think any of the on-screen talent at NBC ever wanted Megyn to darken the door of their shrine to liberal politics.  I bet their was no warm welcome, and gleeful snickering when Megyn's ratings weren't great.  Al Roker & Tamara Hall were pushed aside to make room for the network's token conservative, so I'm sure there were some hard feelings all over the set.  Again, I'm no fan of hers and I am glad she will finally put out to pasture, but I don't think she was ever made to feel like part of the "family" at 30 Rockerfeller Plaza.  

• Love 13

Wow, I go away for a few days and everything blows up. I should have gone sooner. Heh.  Megyn never warmed up enough to be a good host in front of an audience. She never lost that smirky mean girl attitude, never showed any empathy for her guests. The only thing I liked about her show was Stephanie Gosk. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Politics aside, I think Megyn Kelly is a moron.  ANY nationally televised personality on a network widely recognized as extremely liberal, and with half the IQ and self awareness of an avocado should know that "blackface" is WRONG.  Always was and always will be, in ANY circumstance. And here's a helpful heads up, Megyn- it also NOT OK to put on war paint to "portray" Native Americans.  Nor is it OK to hold up the corner of one's eyes to "honor" Asians. And don't stick on a fake Bindi to "celebrate" Indian women. Mmmkay?  There's your "How Not to Be a Racist in 2018" lesson for the day.

Yes, she has college degrees, was a lawyer & has been on TV interviewing lots of people in powerful positions. She is dumb as a brick on that morning show.  If she is spouting a political opinion essay, she sounds OK (whether I agree or not with the sentiment- she can express herself well in those pieces).  But as soon as she tries to engage with guests or chat about basic everyday things that basic everyday people deal with (cooking, parenting, shopping, work-home balance), she shows her true ignorance.  She seems baffled by simple kitchen tools or understanding how to get through a working parent's day.  I don't know her background, but I don't think she was born into the lap of luxury with servants to do everything for her.  So one would think at some point between the ages of 6 & 22, she would have had a passing encounter with a frickin' apple corer or a crock pot.  Or at lease heard those words spoken.  Yet she has the same look of bewilderment in her "cooking" segments as young chimpanzee in the wild being handed a 2 piece puzzle for the first time.  Being an accomplished person with an education and successful career is admirable, and I don't think she should be a 50's housewife.  I just think she looks like a unrelatable fool when she tries to interact with anyone she isn't interrogating interviewing.

I don't think any of the on-screen talent at NBC ever wanted Megyn to darken the door of their shrine to liberal politics.  I bet their was no warm welcome, and gleeful snickering when Megyn's ratings weren't great.  Al Roker & Tamara Hall were pushed aside to make room for the network's token conservative, so I'm sure there were some hard feelings all over the set.  Again, I'm no fan of hers and I am glad she will finally put out to pasture, but I don't think she was ever made to feel like part of the "family" at 30 Rockerfeller Plaza.  

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

Wow, I go away for a few days and everything blows up. I should have gone sooner. Heh.  Megyn never warmed up enough to be a good host in front of an audience. She never lost that smirky mean girl attitude, never showed any empathy for her guests. The only thing I liked about her show was Stephanie Gosk. 

^^^  x 1000 ^^^  Well said!!!

• Love 2

All the women on the today show have this “I can’t handle anything domestic” shtick. Like another poster said they were not born with silver spoons. Surely they know how to crack an egg and how to use a blender. I don’t know if they do it to try to come across as more relatable (bc you know how many of us actually know what a carrot looks like ?) but I take it as a “I’m a high powered career woman with no time for this frivolity” attitude.  

The other thing that bugs is when they complain about their weight when they are all pretty much average shaped people. I can’t even deal with Kelly ripa with that!

• Love 10

The thing that annoyed me the most about Megyn was that she rarely gave her guests a chance to make their point before she cut them off.  Personally, I didn't really know her before she started the show, so I was watching with an open mind.  It was "okay" at first, but as time went on she became more strident & a real know-it-all (except for how to boil water).  I just lost interest & happened to be watching the day she made that fateful comment.  Her guests, especially Melissa & Jenna, tried to interject, but she wasn't having it.  She started listening too late & I don't feel sorry for her.  (I'm a Canadian & I know that "blackface" is wrong on so many levels & not at all funny!!)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, OpalNightstream said:

All the women on the today show have this “I can’t handle anything domestic” shtick. Like another poster said they were not born with silver spoons. Surely they know how to crack an egg and how to use a blender. I don’t know if they do it to try to come across as more relatable (bc you know how many of us actually know what a carrot looks like ?) but I take it as a “I’m a high powered career woman with no time for this frivolity” attitude.  

I bolded that part because that's exactly how I see it.

They're all annoying but I think Savannah's the main culprit with this "I don't know nuthin' about cooking" shtick.  

• Love 9
5 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

NBC was just waiting for an excuse to can her.  Never cared for Al & Tamara either, but then these types of daytime TV shows are just brutal.  I watch little snippets here & there, but if you watch for hours, it is damaging to your brain cells.

• Love 3

Agree with much of what's been said here. FOX will have no interest in her. She is on her own now.

What's interesting though is that in the media coverage of this disaster, no one mentions that on her apology episode, she had Roland Martin & Amy Holmes on the show to educate her (and others presumably) about the history of blackface and why it's wrong.  I saw the segment and she did very little speaking, remained very humble. I think she at least tried to make it a learning experience.  I understand the anti-Megyn bias of many, but seems wrong for no one to mention this at all.  I do believe she tried.

But most importantly she simply wasn't suited for morning TV - at all.  Stephanie & Jenna could easily pick up this hour (and maybe Sheinelle? or even Stephanie Ruhle from MSNBC?).

On a separate note, at the end of the main 7-9am show they plugged an announcement for Saturday Today, that there will be a new host.

• Love 5

OK.   Perhaps starting a firestorm here.    Was listening to Megan when it happened and watched it several times since.  In no way do I believe that she was EVER condoning blackface.  She was just stating a fact that when she was young, on Halloween young people dressed up as all kinds of things and might have worn makeup to make their costume more realistic.  That was it.  Of course now in retrospect that practice was wrong, but she was not being malicious at all.  Because of the current super-sensitive pearl clutching atmosphere today, they might as well make Halloween an obsolete holiday.   It was just an excuse to get rid of her and I think she just might have a very good wrongful termination suit building.  She'll certainly have the money to pay for it! 

• Love 11
58 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

NBC was just waiting for an excuse to can her.  Never cared for Al & Tamara either, but then these types of daytime TV shows are just brutal.  I watch little snippets here & there, but if you watch for hours, it is damaging to your brain cells.

Boy, you got that right!!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Dakisela said:

Was listening to Megan when it happened and watched it several times since.  In no way do I believe that she was EVER condoning blackface.  She was just stating a fact that when she was young, on Halloween young people dressed up as all kinds of things and might have worn makeup to make their costume more realistic.  That was it.  Of course now in retrospect that practice was wrong, but she was not being malicious at all. 

I think that's all she said.  As I noted, NBC jumped on it because her ratings weren't great.

BTW, check out the Judy Garland/Mickey Rooney movie, "Babes on Broadway" (Waiting for the Robert E Lee) if you want to see a cringe-worthy performance.  That was perfectly acceptable for the time.

Megyn is gone! That horse is dead, no reason to keep beating it ?. What do we want to see in the 3rd hour? Light pop culture, more fashion and cooking segments? Serious panel discussion about hard news? A mix? 

Eventually, they’re going to have to put in a permanent host or two. Who do you want to see heading it up? Stephanie Gosk? Jenna? Al? Any others?

Speaking of Savannah and her inability to cook! I get her! My education and career choices are similar to hers, although I’m 10 years older. My mom went back to school while I was in high school and worked thereafter. I was never a snotty “I’m too good for this career woman.” The thing is while you are getting that education there isn’t much opportunity to hone your cooking skills. While in undergrad you’re most likely living in a dorm or a crowded apartment. Law school is a 15+ hour day, you grab whatever is quick to eat. And once you’re done with that you’re looking at 60+ hour work weeks to pay off your student debt. Even now that I’m retired, I have to get out a basic cookbook to remind myself how to boil eggs, I find it much simpler to get them already boiled from the grocery. Cooking is just a skill I never learned. However, I don’t feel uppity about it, in fact I’m humbled by the many women in my family who mastered the skill. Otherwise, my husband and I would starve during holidays! ?

• Love 4

I'm tossing my prediction into the ring.  Craig Melvin has been spending more and more time at the weekday Today Show desk.  Peter Alexander was just named as Melvin's permanent replacement on the weekend show.  I predict that, within a few weeks, Melvin will gradually slide into the host spot for the 3rd hour.  Hey, fine by me.  He's certainly likeable.  It also gives me hope that NBC will take my suggestion to make "The Bro Show" a permanent part of the weekday lineup.  I'm still grooving on the day, months ago, when the guys sat in for Kelly during her absence.  It was fun and fresh.  Fingers are crossed.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, FeverDog said:

I saw the segment and she did very little speaking, remained very humble. I think she at least tried to make it a learning experience.  I understand the anti-Megyn bias of many, but seems wrong for no one to mention this at all.  I do believe she tried.

The whole thing was an over-reaction.  She never said that it was OK, she said people did it back in the day.  When you have low ratings, you have to watch what you say,  because people don't listen and misinterpret every statement.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Dakisela said:

OK.   Perhaps starting a firestorm here.    Was listening to Megan when it happened and watched it several times since.  In no way do I believe that she was EVER condoning blackface.  She was just stating a fact that when she was young, on Halloween young people dressed up as all kinds of things and might have worn makeup to make their costume more realistic.  That was it.  Of course now in retrospect that practice was wrong, but she was not being malicious at all.  Because of the current super-sensitive pearl clutching atmosphere today, they might as well make Halloween an obsolete holiday.   It was just an excuse to get rid of her and I think she just might have a very good wrongful termination suit building.  She'll certainly have the money to pay for it! 

Good point. However, Megan was ill suited from Day 1 to host a "Today Show'. They should have put her on MSNBC discussing politics or serious news. I hope Andy Lack gets fired as well. 

4 hours ago, FeverDog said:

I think Katy Tur & Stephanie Ruhle have good chemistry on msnbc (they covered royal wedding together). They’d be a fun pair and can cover hard news too

I like Stephanie!. Katy not so much. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Katy-lied said:

Megyn is gone! That horse is dead, no reason to keep beating it ?. What do we want to see in the 3rd hour? Light pop culture, more fashion and cooking segments? Serious panel discussion about hard news? A mix? 

Eventually, they’re going to have to put in a permanent host or two. Who do you want to see heading it up? Stephanie Gosk? Jenna? Al? Any others?

Speaking of Savannah and her inability to cook! I get her! My education and career choices are similar to hers, although I’m 10 years older. My mom went back to school while I was in high school and worked thereafter. I was never a snotty “I’m too good for this career woman.” The thing is while you are getting that education there isn’t much opportunity to hone your cooking skills. While in undergrad you’re most likely living in a dorm or a crowded apartment. Law school is a 15+ hour day, you grab whatever is quick to eat. And once you’re done with that you’re looking at 60+ hour work weeks to pay off your student debt. Even now that I’m retired, I have to get out a basic cookbook to remind myself how to boil eggs, I find it much simpler to get them already boiled from the grocery. Cooking is just a skill I never learned. However, I don’t feel uppity about it, in fact I’m humbled by the many women in my family who mastered the skill. Otherwise, my husband and I would starve during holidays! ?

Savannah tries to play dumb about her lack of cooking knowledge. She acted dumb around the evil Matt Lauer as well. She should try to use her law degree to more productive use.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, oakville said:

Good point. However, Megan was ill suited from Day 1 to host a "Today Show'. They should have put her on MSNBC discussing politics or serious news. I hope Andy Lack gets fired as well. 

She needs a more political format.  She’s not a warm person & that’s OK.  I always found her just fine, but I wasn’t a regular viewer.  

People bring up the Jane Fonda incident - well Jane is no snowflake.  She is quite able to take care of herself.  She didn’t like the question, too damn bad!

• Love 2
On 10/26/2018 at 3:31 PM, Dakisela said:

Was listening to Megan when it happened and watched it several times since.  In no way do I believe that she was EVER condoning blackface.  She was just stating a fact that when she was young, on Halloween young people dressed up as all kinds of things and might have worn makeup to make their costume more realistic.  That was it.  Of course now in retrospect that practice was wrong, but she was not being malicious at all.  Because of the current super-sensitive pearl clutching atmosphere today, they might as well make Halloween an obsolete holiday.   It was just an excuse to get rid of her and I think she just might have a very good wrongful termination suit building.  She'll certainly have the money to pay for it! 

8 hours ago, Tanichka said:

The whole thing was an over-reaction.  She never said that it was OK, she said people did it back in the day.  When you have low ratings, you have to watch what you say,  because people don't listen and misinterpret every statement.

I have to respectfully disagree. When Kelly starts talking about LuAnn DeLesseps (deservedly) catching flack for dressing up as Diana Ross and in doing so, darkening her skin.  Kelly's incredulity that "people said that that was (short pause) racist" pretty well expresses  that she didn't understand why blackface is socially unacceptable. Kelly's exact words right after that were "I don't know like how that (darkening one's skin) got racist at Halloween."   Apropos of nothing, I'm a good ten years older than Kelly, and blackface was definitely not cool in my time, so I find it highly unlikely that it was acceptable when she was trick or treating. JMO.

• Love 10
On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎26 at 3:31 PM, Dakisela said:

Agreed. The next day, when they talked about the history of blackface, I learned a lot. I appreciated that a long segment was given to exclusively explain its historial context. The commentators even disagreed at the end on whether it's okay for someone white to dress up as Diana Ross and I appreciated the DISCUSSION - something that is lacking a lot on tv these days. It's unusual for daytime tv to spend more than 2 superficial minutes on any issue, which is why I enjoyed Megyn Kelly's show. 

I didn't agree completely with Megyn Kelly, but I appreciated that she gave another viewpoint. I respected her. There's times where I think her reactions were disproportional (e.g., Jane Fonda debacle), but in general, I believe she provided well needed balance to NBC news. I didn't find her cold - I actually found her awkwardness relatable - but she probably shines more with hard news. I think this gave NBC an excuse to let her go, as the truth is, she had poor ratings. And I wouldn't be surprised that her willingness to publicly criticize NBC for their handling of the Weinstein investigation by Ronan Farrow made it easier for them to let her go.

Also, the 3rd hour of Today before her show was AWFUL. 

Edited by schroeder
  • Love 4

Megyn got what she deserved , but NBC knew what she was like before they hired !

She may not be at her previous place of employment now , but it’s obvious why  fox hired her in the first place . She makes her own reality to fit her over the top, ridiculous comments so she gets atterntion .

Megyn is 48 years old and actually said that when she was a kid people wore blackface and it was ok . I watched a video of her actual comments and she did say that ! She acted like that was no big deal while she ranted about PC Halloween costumes !

I am older than Megyn and was raised on a very small town and no way was blackface ever acceptable!  She is such a liar and was just tying to be provocative, and didn’t care If her comments were hurtful or offensive . 

She knew exactly what she was doing , just like she did during the Kavanaugh hearing with some of her tone deaf comments . 

An educated woman who is a journalist knows exactly what she is saying and why . She’s just used to being able to spout such nonsense  and racist comments from her previous job without consequences, and in fact it is the norm where she came from . 

As much as she burned bridges on her previous job, her recent minimizing of wearing blackface and ignoring how hurtful it was may  get her prevjous network and their viewers to welcome her back!

There were a lot of rumors and articles about NBC planning to cancel her show because I’d horrible ratings . Maybe her Kavanaugh and blackface comments were a way to get her old employer to take her back! 

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 10

Folks, please keep discussion directly relevant to the show and its participants. The Megyn Kelly news should not be used as a jumping off point to discuss general politics, political figures or other stories of blackface-related faux pas. Thanks.

On 10/28/2018 at 1:21 PM, goldenpuppy said:

There were a lot of rumors and articles about NBC planning to cancel her show because I’d horrible ratings . Maybe her Kavanaugh and blackface comments were a way to get her old employer to take her back! 

Fox News has already stated that they're happy with their lineup, I read that Megyn burned bridges at Fox, too.  That's part of the problem, she doesn't bother to try to be at least nice to her underlings and co-workers.  I don't see Megyn back on tv anytime soon unless Sinclair creates a talk show or nightly newscast for her or she switches to being a talking head or a pundit.

It's amazing just how off brand Megyn's hour was compared to the rest of Today.  That Jane Fonda interview was a mess for example.  Today just isn't the show you tune into to see any celeb, no matter where they're on the political spectrum, get tough questions.  Willie's interviews are little more in depth than most on the show, but he's still not asking anything that hard hitting.  Megyn really should have been kicked off Today after that.  

I wonder if they're gong to hire a new host for the third hour or they're going to resurrect the Today's Take format.  For all of TT's many faults, it wasn't a total shitshow like Megyn Today imo.  Willie, Tamron and them at least could exude a little warmth and empathy.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:09 PM, rcc said:

I think they should have Sheinelle, Jenna and Dylan for the 9 o'clock hour. They have worked together before and did very well.

That would be a good trio to have...they get along & all have a sunny disposition.  Jenna has grown into a good host, she has a sense of humor, Sheinelle & Dylan are always upbeat...Megyn Kelly just did not fit into the TODAY family...the bonhomie, and friendliness...they would bring over Savannah & Al to help Megyn's show, but she just didn't work as an early morning host. 

• Love 1

Sheinelle, Jenna, and Dylan would be fine temporarily, they are all pleasant women, but man, they are all also pretty boring.  None of them has the personality to be up front, they are all better as sidekicks.  The rotating hosts will not be good either.  Hopefully TPTB can find a suitable, entertaining but not controversial host soon.  I always thought the format with a live audience is terrible for Today, unless they flip with Hoda and KLG and bring in the live audience for the 4th hour.  Sticking an audience in the middle is awkward.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Sheinelle, Jenna, and Dylan would be fine temporarily, they are all pleasant women, but man, they are all also pretty boring.  None of them has the personality to be up front, they are all better as sidekicks.  The rotating hosts will not be good either.  Hopefully TPTB can find a suitable, entertaining but not controversial host soon.  I always thought the format with a live audience is terrible for Today, unless they flip with Hoda and KLG and bring in the live audience for the 4th hour.  Sticking an audience in the middle is awkward.

Why can’t we just get rid of Honda and KLG???

• Love 3

Jenna Bush is fine in small doses, but she doesn't have the gravitas to carry a daily show.  Sheinelle is growing on me and she's getting better.  She has promise.  As for Dylan, I really like her.  She's smart, but I think they muzzle her a bit.

Someone upthread mentioned the Stephanie Gosk appearances on Megyn were some of the best, but she's too damned good as a reporter to stop globetrotting.  

Monday's show with Craig, Hoda and Al, showed Hoda's best side as a journalist.  She was subdued, eloquent and worthy of the desk.  I wish she'd be that way whenever doing hard news.

I just can't think of anyone on the NBC bench who has the charisma and experience for a morning show.  Part of the problem is the format, where after the initial hard news, the fluff takes over.

• Love 1

I still say Hoda is in the wrong place in the 1st hour. They do 10 min of serious news, & you can almost see her visible relief when the do her “Hoda’s boost”. She’s best at frivolous fun stories, & esp working in a live crowd.

• Love 4

I thought the Halloween show was an expensive bust.  The only character I liked was Sheinelle as Tina Turner.  The others were meh, and of course Hoda had to act like a jackass as Elton John.  She has no sense of rhythm whatsoever.  It's times like this that I miss Matt.

• Love 2

I was wondering who Megyn was going to be, too.  Molly Ringwald is a good guess.  I kind of thought Madonna and Kathie Lee was supposed that other Top Gun guy with Jenna.  I don't know, I'm terrible at speculating.

Things are getting nasty between Megyn and NBC:

I hope they destroy each other.

8 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I thought the Halloween show was an expensive bust.  The only character I liked was Sheinelle as Tina Turner.  The others were meh, and of course Hoda had to act like a jackass as Elton John.  She has no sense of rhythm whatsoever.  It's times like this that I miss Matt.

Just saw a clip of Honda as Elton!  What makes old people do this?   ?‍♀️?

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Hoda's is 54 so I don't think she's old; however, I do think she's too "old" to be acting like an idiot like she was in that Elton John getup.

I was trying to be funny.    She looks like my sisters-in-law dancing at weddings.  ;o)

• Love 3