Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, escapetoreality said:

I haven't figured out the timeline in terms of the producer-recreated moments but it was hard not to see the dramatic changes of seasons in the Sandusky scenes.   Reality Maven -- amazing job. Now to fill in the Gabriel affair? 

The Gabriel affair? What I miss? Oooh, sounds promising already. 

• Love 1

This show is pulling a fast one on viewers.  Danielle and Mohamed are billed as the main attractions, and so far, they are only getting five to seven minutes of total screen time each week. I hate to break it to Dani, but if it was easy to get someone deported for pulling a green card scam, the population of New York City would probably be 6 million instead of 8.

I find the names Devar and Punkeshar rather interesting.  By the time Devar and his family get through with Melanie, she will most likely be in bankruptcy court.   

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 8

Why is Melanie acting so shocked that Devar's little sister is going to put the squeeze on them for money? His family looks at her as an ATM. She's already spent a load on Devar with all those trips as she's already admitted to Bev. But I'm glad to see Mel's not backing down. That sister is able-bodied, there's no reason she can't work and earn her own money. She didn't even seem that grateful when Devar handed over the $. 

And Brett & Daya needed to get their stories straight when it came to his Mom. He shouldn't have given any financially specific info at all.  Just should've said we managing just fine and we're very happy with our new home. Why give her any ammo? Now she's going to feel that Daya pushed him into a house he couldn't afford.

Russ is way too controlling. He feels he can tell  his wife what she can and cannot wear. Right, how's that working for ya. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Miss Chevious said:

Why is Melanie acting so shocked that Devar's little sister is going to put the squeeze on them for money? His family looks at her as an ATM. She's already spent a load on Devar with all those trips as she's already admitted to Bev. But I'm glad to see Mel's not backing down. That sister is able-bodied, there's no reason she can't work and earn her own money. She didn't even seem that grateful when Devar handed over the $. 

And Brett & Daya needed to get their stories straight when it came to his Mom. He shouldn't have given any financially specific info at all.  Just should've said we managing just fine and we're very happy with our new home. Why give her any ammo? Now she's going to feel that Daya pushed him into a house he couldn't afford.

Russ is way too controlling. He feels he can tell  his wife what she can and cannot wear. Right, how's that working for ya. 

I agree with all your points. 

I didn't watch the season with Russ and Paola, but I like her a lot.  Russ bugs.  He commented that he doesn't know if they move to a big city what that will mean for his career.  What is his career?  A farmer? 

Oh, yeah, and Brett needs to not give his mom any info on their house, their budget, etc.  Unless she's paying, it's none of her business.  Good fences make good neighbors, Brett. 

• Love 6

A person can work and go to school in the US but not u Jamaica? I would tell Devar and his sister to kiss my ass. Was the sister pregnant as well? It looked like she had a good sized bump.

Edited by Trampolina
  • Love 9

It was hilarious to me that Mohammed made a point of telling us he was going to sleep on the floor. 

Also noticed the funny little side-eye look that passed between both Mo and Luisa when he said they were  "just friends."

Yeah right, like we believe that. 

• Love 10
13 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

It was hilarious to me that Mohammed made a point of telling us he was going to sleep on the floor. 

Also noticed the funny little side-eye look that passed between both Mo and Luisa when he said they were  "just friends."

Yeah right, like we believe that. 

Wait I swear Mo, ever the awesome gentleman, said she would sleep on the floor and he would sleep on the bed which is why she tried to come up with comprises of splitting the bed. The fact that neither did the obvious solution of asking for a new room, in my experience kings are the hardest to get or ask  for a rollaway bed, made it sem it was production bullshit, I want all involved including the producers deported!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7

What is it with at perpetual smirk on Dani's face?  I mean, when they were at the lawyer's ( or " loryers" as she says ) it was downright distracting as well as obnoxious. And you could see the wheels ( slowly) turning in that tiny little mind behind those wonky eyes , when the attorney advised her she could get divorced in six weeks no problem OR get an annulment for MORE MONEY (!) and drag it out as long as she wanted to make his life even more miserable than she already has in order to deport him . ( I smell another Go Fund Me campaign).  Now don't get me wrong, I don't like him anymore than I like her, but come on lady enough is enough! Move the fuck on already! Although then I would be deprived of the drama that is her doing, well, anything and everything!  But seriously? When the show just focuses on him without her and her pitiful and sometimes painful to watch histrionics, let's face it, he's BORING! With a capital B!  but here I am, helplessly and impatiently waiting to tune in yet again next week, for the oh so star crossed and grotesque love ? Loathe? Story of the century!

I think I need help.

• Love 7

I think Paola is straight up beautiful with a great body but realistically I think her best options modeling/commercials is in Oklahoma and the midwest. She pops and is lovely but so do a lot of women like her in Miami and LA and we won't even address NY. I fear sone modeling agency is going to blow smoke up her ass because it's on camera like the child bride from first season but it's not realistic. Is she going to be booked more at the events she hates which will pay more money, yes? Is this going to be a big modeling/acting career she wants no. That said Ross could literally move to anywhere to get a job on an oil platform, he just needs needs to be near an airport.

I missed Daya and what's his name the first time  around bit buying an overpriced house in Everett/Marysville is not the answer. My cousin bought a house that looks exactly like theirs in a planned community much closer to Seattle for 250k which they could afford and have a kid and another on the way.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

The whole sending money home thing is typical in African and Caribbean households. Growing up, I'd say anywhere from 25-40% of my parent's income month to month was sent back home. Your good fortune of living in America is expected to benefit not only your family but your community as a whole. My parents belong to cultural groups here in the US that raise 100s of thousands a year to send back home to build infrastructure in their communities, hospitals, schools, etc. Quiet as its kept, a lot of countries depend on their expats in the UK and US to do what their government should be doing. 

Waitressing like Punkeshar, being a beach boy like Devar, it doesn't pay the bills, I'm sure they depended on the money their mother sent home to survive. That being said, Punkeshar needs to go to school and get a "summer proof" job; waitressing is probably only viable as a summer job for her at a resort. She's absolutely right though when she says Jamaica is different than America; if you don't work for an infrastructure like government, medicine, or education, or you own your own small business that people depend on, stable employment is almost impossible to find. It's not like the US where companies must hire outside the family, where there is a large year round service industry. It's not a matter of laziness or unwillingness, the jobs literally aren't there. Going to school and becoming a nurse like Melanie or a teacher or a secretary, those are the few viable paths Punkeshar and women like her have to self sufficiency. 

Edited by ChaChaSlide
  • Love 12

While I understand Mel's frustration with Devar giving money to his relatives, she went into the marriage with her eyes wide open. He told her straight up he would be sending money back home. She could have called it off, but she didn't. Devar is never going to see her POV. And I think he loves pulling that wad of money out and flashing it to his family members. Mel was so desperate for that dick that she didn't think about what what was going happen down the road. 

So Russ is looking for a job and Pao wants to try her luck modeling, did it ever occur to Russ to look for a job in Florida, California or NY? I can assure you they have engineers in all 3 places. I don't get his insistence about living in OK. It would seem that with Russ being unemployed, it is the prefect time for him to try and relocate. 

As much as I loathe Dani, I want her to go the annulment route so Mo gets deported. Who the hell is this Luisa chick and why is she driving him around the country? They met on FB? That is so bizarre. 

Brett lets his mom know way too much of his business. That's part of the problem.  

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 13
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Wait I swear Mo, ever the awesome gentleman, said she would sleep on the floor and he would sleep on the bed which is why she tried to come up with comprises of splitting the bed. The fact that neither did the obvious solution of asking for a new room, in my experience kings are the hardest to get or ask  for a rollaway bed, made it sem it was production bullshit, I want all involved including the producers deported!

Me too! They could have easily have asked for a different room with two beds. I am pissed that TLC is paying this scammer at all.

4 hours ago, Bunnygirl said:

What is it with at perpetual smirk on Dani's face?  I mean, when they were at the lawyer's ( or " loryers" as she says ) it was downright distracting as well as obnoxious. And you could see the wheels ( slowly) turning in that tiny little mind behind those wonky eyes , when the attorney advised her she could get divorced in six weeks no problem OR get an annulment for MORE MONEY (!) and drag it out as long as she wanted to make his life even more miserable than she already has in order to deport him . ( I smell another Go Fund Me campaign).  Now don't get me wrong, I don't like him anymore than I like her, but come on lady enough is enough! Move the fuck on already! Although then I would be deprived of the drama that is her doing, well, anything and everything!  But seriously? When the show just focuses on him without her and her pitiful and sometimes painful to watch histrionics, let's face it, he's BORING! With a capital B!  but here I am, helplessly and impatiently waiting to tune in yet again next week, for the oh so star crossed and grotesque love ? Loathe? Story of the century!

I think I need help.

I would contribute to her annulment fund, if necessary. She has every right to get one.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ChaChaSlide said:

Waitressing like Punkeshar, being a beach boy like Devar, it doesn't pay the bills, I'm sure they depended on the money their mother sent home to survive. That being said, Punkeshar needs to go to school and get a "summer proof" job; waitressing is probably only viable as a summer job for her at a resort. She's absolutely right though when she says Jamaica is different than America; if you don't work for an infrastructure like government, medicine, or education, or you own your own small business that people depend on, stable employment is almost impossible to find. It's not like the US where companies must hire outside the family, where there is a large year round service industry. It's not a matter of laziness or unwillingness, the jobs literally aren't there. Going to school and becoming a nurse like Melanie or a teacher or a secretary, those are the few viable paths Punkeshar and women like her have to self sufficiency. 

Amen to this!

I'm not surprised about Mo's latest girlfriend.  I was talking to a sixty something year old friend yesterday about this; when I first got on the Internet in the early 90's it was all about being as anonymous as possible.  You never revealed your identity, especially if you were a woman.  Today that has changed, message boards like this one are disappearing because everybody wants to be famous, wants to have the lights on them; they want people to know what they're saying, so they say it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.  This woman with Mo is no different; she's not into him, she's into being on TV and having her 15 minutes.  I will never understand it, but that's because I'm not into being famous.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 12
6 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Me too! They could have easily have asked for a different room with two beds. I am pissed that TLC is paying this scammer at all.

I would contribute to her annulment fund, if necessary. She has every right to get one.

Dangerousminds, of course she has a right to an annulment, I wasn't trying to imply that she didn't. He's disgusting. My point is that she's been through so much already with him that if she were me, I'd just want to be rid of him as quickly as I could and move on. He's so stupid, he can't help but be his own undoing in the long run just by the constant " look at me see how much fun I'm having the law can't touch me" attitude he seems to have by posting all his misdeeds on social media for all the world to see. He's essentially telling on himself. 

The problem is, I don't think Dani wants a divorce or an annulment, she wants her hot ( in her eyes) Tunisian husband back. So I think she's going to drag it out just for that reason only, not because she wants him deported, but because she wants him back! Which ain't EVER happening. They're both a mess.

• Love 6

I predict that Bret will be really sorry that they went $40,000 over budget.  That will add a huge overall amount to their mortgage.  Sure, now he says he's willing to work 10 hour days and on Saturdays, but that will really be for the rest of the mortgage.  I don't have the exact numbers, but won't that $40,000 turn into more like $100,000 over time?

And Paola is a bigger deal modeling in OK than she ever will be in Florida, she may just be looking for her way out.

• Love 2

No, Russ. Buying your wife a stupid assed Nerf gun for her birthday is not a culture clash. Get the fuck outta here, dude. Don't blame that on some imagined American social more that Pao just doesn't understand. And then to scold her on her birthday in front of people, for not understanding what she was supposed to do with it. What an ass. For the money he spent on that stupidity, he could've gotten her an actual thoughtful gift. Hell, I'd take a Starbucks gift card over that.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I think Paola is straight up beautiful with a great body but realistically I think her best options modeling/commercials is in Oklahoma and the midwest. She pops and is lovely but so do a lot of women like her in Miami and LA and we won't even address NY.

I was thinking the same thing.  She's a 10 in Oklahoma and she sticks out in a good way. She is different and will be remembered.  

In especially Miami she's probably a 5 and there's probably a million of her walking around. 

4 hours ago, Bunnygirl said:

Dangerousminds, of course she has a right to an annulment, I wasn't trying to imply that she didn't. He's disgusting. My point is that she's been through so much already with him that if she were me, I'd just want to be rid of him as quickly as I could and move on. He's so stupid, he can't help but be his own undoing in the long run just by the constant " look at me see how much fun I'm having the law can't touch me" attitude he seems to have by posting all his misdeeds on social media for all the world to see. He's essentially telling on himself. 

The problem is, I don't think Dani wants a divorce or an annulment, she wants her hot ( in her eyes) Tunisian husband back. So I think she's going to drag it out just for that reason only, not because she wants him deported, but because she wants him back! Which ain't EVER happening. They're both a mess.

She doesn't and she basically admitted so on the show.  Crying as she said something like "I just want my husband back" or "I want my marriage" or something like that.  I wanted to yell - LADY, he was never that into you!!!!

• Love 5
21 hours ago, steff13 said:

I agree with all your points. 

I didn't watch the season with Russ and Paola, but I like her a lot.  Russ bugs.  He commented that he doesn't know if they move to a big city what that will mean for his career.  What is his career?  A farmer? 

Oh, yeah, and Brett needs to not give his mom any info on their house, their budget, etc.  Unless she's paying, it's none of her business.  Good fences make good neighbors, Brett. 

I still giggle a but about when daya complained about the size of the ring. For some reason, I found it very endearing that she was so blunt.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

While I understand Mel's frustration with Devar giving money to his relatives, she went into the marriage with her eyes wide open. He told her straight up he would be sending money back home. She could have called it off, but she didn't. Devar is never going to see her POV. And I think he loves pulling that wad of money out and flashing it to his family members. Mel was so desperate for that dick that she didn't think about what what was going happen down the road. 

100% yes, he was very upfront about it. and she made that little comment about the prenup, but it was apparent she wanted to get married and I wonder if Devar would have even signed it--if he refused she would have married him anyway.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ChaChaSlide said:

The whole sending money home thing is typical in African and Caribbean households. Growing up, I'd say anywhere from 25-40% of my parent's income month to month was sent back home. Your good fortune of living in America is expected to benefit not only your family but your community as a whole.

It was like that for all immigrants to the US.  My grandfather came over in 1907 from Sicily and was expected to send home money.  He did at first and then noticed everyone back in the old country was quitting work, buying bigger houses etc.  He had enough!  He decided to get married and have his own family.  This is what is wrong with Caribbean boy.  Either come her legally and work to send money home or get married and keep your money in the family here.

Raise your hand if you thought some fundamentalist was going to jump up and cut blond-girl-in-Morocco head off?  She is just that stupid.  How does one not now how to act in a country you are travelling to?

• Love 3

I'm not particularly attractive. When the planets align I'm sort of cute. I try not to judge people on their looks. I really do. That said, Russ is one unattractive man. Especially while wearing a tank top. He's the opposite of attractive. He's the human equivalent of boiled oats.

Brett must never rap again.

And that woman who is married to the guy from Jamaica. The one with permanent stink face. She's just so unpleasant, and judgey. All the oversharing about all the sex they have makes me think that he has trouble getting up for her. If she was my family member I'd put myself up for adoption.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, jumper sage said:

It was like that for all immigrants to the US.  My grandfather came over in 1907 from Sicily and was expected to send home money.  He did at first and then noticed everyone back in the old country was quitting work, buying bigger houses etc.  He had enough!  He decided to get married and have his own family.  This is what is wrong with Caribbean boy.  Either come her legally and work to send money home or get married and keep your money in the family here.

Being frank, 1907 Italy had more infrastructure in place and more global trade access than current day Jamaica does. Jamaica imports  over 400% what it exports, and the cost of said imports eats 40% of the GDP. As a comparison, the US imports double what it exports, but the GDP is 800% larger than the cost of said imports. 

The average salary in Jamaica is less than $14,000 annually, but the cost for moderate housing is $5000 annually, and this is before we even get into the costs of food, transportation, clothing, etc. Jamaicans aren't lazying about and building bigger houses, they're surviving, point blank period. It's not so simple as Melanie is saying; any where your imports are more than your exports and a massive percentage of your GDP, capitalism will not work, because the free market is quite frankly not there where demand dwarfs supply and there aren't enough job opportunities to go around. 

The Jamaican gov't needs massive restructuring, but until that happens you can bet your bippy Jamaican Americans will send money home to their families. Melanie should not have married Devar if she balked at sending his family $150 a month (after having spent nearly $40K for repeated pound-town trips) while he is jobless; does he even have his green card and the legal ability to work yet?

If Melanie was a man and Devar a woman, we'd decry Mel as very selfish and cheap (a la crazy piano Mark). Melanie more or less signed on to be the breadwinner of her household, and that's no ones fault but her own. Devar is her househusband for the time being, and he should be able to share her income, as we expect working husbands to share with housewives. I think gender role expectations is what's messing with everyone's head here, but you can't have your cake and eat it too; you can't be the breadwinner wife but not share the wealth because you're a woman and "shouldn't have to".

Melanie is using Devar the same way Mark was using Nikki, as a way hotter than her body she gets to have sex with on demand, not a true partner or person she is invested in. When she mentioned the $40k, it was almost like she was saying she bought him and had a right to him, like some kind of human sex doll. 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, ChaChaSlide said:

The Jamaican gov't needs massive restructuring, but until that happens you can bet your bippy Jamaican Americans will send money home to their families. Melanie should not have married Devar if she balked at sending his family $150 a month (after having spent nearly $40K for repeated pound-town trips) while he is jobless; does he even have his green card and the legal ability to work yet?

If their timeline follows the same path as most he most likely has his temporary green card and would be able to work., Most don't even have to interview to get past that step and is waiting for the time period to pass before having the conditions removed to become a permanent resident and perhaps petition for citizenship. It would be citizenship which would allow him to put his extended family in line for immigration. But some do delay between the wedding so the spouse is not in an illegal status and filing for the temporary green card mainly to delay sending the government another $1000 because the first moving of households and for some weddings leave them cash poor.

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Raja said:

If their timeline follows the same path as most he most likely has his temporary green card and would be able to work., Most don't even have to interview to get past that step and is waiting for the time period to pass before having the conditions removed to become a permanent resident and perhaps petition for citizenship. It would be citizenship which would allow him to put his extended family in line for immigration. But some do delay between the wedding so the spouse is not in an illegal status and filing for the temporary green card mainly to delay sending the government another $1000 because the first moving of households and for some weddings leave them cash poor.

He's also in a small town known for prejudice against non-whites. I'm pretty sure it's not that easy to get a job.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bellenoire said:

He's also in a small town known for prejudice against non-whites. I'm pretty sure it's not that easy to get a job.

That is NOT the case. The area has a lot of influx (in the last 5-10 yrs) from the NYC area.  Prejudice there is no greater than anywhere else and a lot less than in other areas of the country.  (My family still lives in the area).  Perhaps Melanie just stays in her white-bread neighborhood? Or is it part of TLC storyline? It is just not so. 

Jobs in the area are difficult for anyone......you have to be willing to commute to :NYC/Mount Pocono/ Lehigh Valley but except for NYC, the others are a piece of cake drive and there are commuter buses to all of those areas. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, NannyBails said:

I swear I saw a "For Sale" sign in front of Brett's new house.   Why would that still be there?  Seems like after they closed and moved in the house, the sign would be gone.

Yeah, I saw it too. When my mom bought a house they still had the sign up, even after we closed. Sometimes the realtor is just slow.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, NannyBails said:

I swear I saw a "For Sale" sign in front of Brett's new house.   Why would that still be there?  Seems like after they closed and moved in the house, the sign would be gone.

I also saw a Realtor lockbox on Paola and Russ' front door of their house. Do these people just live in these homes for the show or what?

Regarding pretty Paola and her modeling dream. She's a doll but isn't she like 25 or close? Modeling agencies like them young. She's about 7 years too late to be starting. Even in Miami, she probably won't do any better than the trade shows and cheesy commercials she does now. 

So Mo and Blondie have no jobs. How are they planning on getting an apartment? Is Blondie just a hired actor?  Who the hell is going to give up their life and leave town with no job and some dude you just met on FB?  

• Love 2

I don't understand this woman Mohammad met on Facebook.  So she doesn't have a place to live either?  Did she give up her home and job to chase after Mohammad?  Very strange.

Melanie never should have married Devar; a lot of the Jamaicans I know send money back to their families there.  I used to hear commercials on the radio about sending appliances to Jamaica, like refrigerators. 

Paola might be a 10 in Oklahoma, but there don't seem to be many jobs there.  I agree that in Miami, she's just another one of many pretty girls.

I think Brett was a fool to spend that much money on a home, and I can't stand his mother, but I get what her issue is.  She's worried about her granddaughter and afraid that Brett will spend all his money on Daya, that there will be nothing left for his daughter, now if Daya has a child, she might feel better, but right now, mama is concerned.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I also saw a Realtor lockbox on Paola and Russ' front door of their house. Do these people just live in these homes for the show or what?

Regarding pretty Paola and her modeling dream. She's a doll but isn't she like 25 or close? Modeling agencies like them young. She's about 7 years too late to be starting. Even in Miami, she probably won't do any better than the trade shows and cheesy commercials she does now. 

So Mo and Blondie have no jobs. How are they planning on getting an apartment? Is Blondie just a hired actor?  Who the hell is going to give up their life and leave town with no job and some dude you just met on FB?  

I though Pao and Russ were renters. Perhaps their landlord has the place up for sale.  Pao I believe is 30.

Luisa might be a dancer. She looks like a bottle service or shot hostess imo. Probably didn't want to film in her hometown.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, NannyBails said:

The houses are kinda close together, wasn't sure if it was their home or the one next door.  But it wouldn't surprise me if this was a rental for the show. They do that on quite a few of these reality shows.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

It's probably not a bad idea if people use a fake house for filming purposes.  Fans are crazy and if I were on a show I wouldn't want my real house shown either!

On a lot of reality shows, especially ones with celebrities the inside of the house is their real house but the exterior shots are usually a different house.

Do we know what Daya and Brett paid for this house?  I only saw $250k listed as a comparable and if that's what they paid then really that's not that bad.  They are both working and can probably afford it.  Brett seems like the penny pincher type so what he can afford and what he wants to spend are probably 2 completely different things.

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, gunderda said:

It's probably not a bad idea if people use a fake house for filming purposes.  Fans are crazy and if I were on a show I wouldn't want my real house shown either!

On a lot of reality shows, especially ones with celebrities the inside of the house is their real house but the exterior shots are usually a different house.

Do we know what Daya and Brett paid for this house?  I only saw $250k listed as a comparable and if that's what they paid then really that's not that bad.  They are both working and can probably afford it.  Brett seems like the penny pincher type so what he can afford and what he wants to spend are probably 2 completely different things.

They didn't say. The 250k wasn't meant to be a comparison, completely different location I just mentioned because when your budget is on the lower end going 40k over you top amount is significant. Do we know what they do for a living?

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

They didn't say. The 250k wasn't meant to be a comparison, completely different location I just mentioned because when your budget is on the lower end going 40k over you top amount is significant. Do we know what they do for a living?

I feel like Daya was a nurse or something in Thailand or did I totally make that up??  I can't remember what Brett does either but I remember it not being a super high paying job. 

Brett said 2 different things about the house.  First he said it was on the higher end of their budget and then he told his mom it was $40k over what they wanted to spend.  So that's why I think they can obviously afford it but Brett being the penny pincher that he is would have preferred the lower end of their budget.  He lived with two older women for years so he probably doesn't have very high expectations for a living situation.

• Love 1

Daya is from the Philippines, I didn't watch their season so I have no idea about their jobs. However, he said his eyes bugged out when he saw the price, talked to Daya about how it was over budget, and said he would work 10 hour days and weekends, didn't seem like it was something they could easily afford. When he said the thing about it being on the high end of what he was cofortable spending I read that as him tryin to spin it.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ChaChaSlide said:

If Melanie was a man and Devar a woman, we'd decry Mel as very selfish and cheap (a la crazy piano Mark). Melanie more or less signed on to be the breadwinner of her household, and that's no ones fault but her own. Devar is her househusband for the time being, and he should be able to share her income, as we expect working husbands to share with housewives. I think gender role expectations is what's messing with everyone's head here, but you can't have your cake and eat it too; you can't be the breadwinner wife but not share the wealth because you're a woman and "shouldn't have to".

Melanie is using Devar the same way Mark was using Nikki, as a way hotter than her body she gets to have sex with on demand, not a true partner or person she is invested in. When she mentioned the $40k, it was almost like she was saying she bought him and had a right to him, like some kind of human sex doll. 

I would not. I'd say whichever spouse wants to send money home needs to get out and bust their ass to make enough money. No difference if I'm talking about a man or a woman.

5 hours ago, bellenoire said:

I heard Melanie say he was already working, but not making enough yet to send his own money home.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I would not. I'd say whichever spouse wants to send money home needs to get out and bust their ass to make enough money. No difference if I'm talking about a man or a woman.

I heard Melanie say he was already working, but not making enough yet to send his own money home.

I think they should just work out a budget that figures out an amount that  Devar spends on "luxuries" (gym membership, activities by himself, drinks with friends etc.) and if wants to send that money home and forgo those things than that is on him because otherwise they are going to be having this argument forever and resentment will build up on both sides.

• Love 11

Funny thing was that when Melanie commented about the whole situation of Devar supporting his sister, I took it as she won't support someone who isn't working. So if Punkeshar had a job and go to school but need a little extra to make ends meet from Devar, I can't see Melanie flat out saying no.  I understood it as you work, you go to school and Devar can add a bit extra to the income if he can. Not have Punkeshar totally dependent on the money Devar sent.  

But I agree with posters above - Melanie knew what she was getting into with Devar.  He told her he would be supporting family back home.  She really shouldn't be so surprised. 

Daya and Brett - snooze.  Mo and Dani - hmmm same stuff different day. Really am tired of their scripted crap. Pao and Russ - again, don't care. 

• Love 5

I think Melanie's biggest problem was that it sounded like the sister willfully quit her job because she wants to go to school. That's how I heard it, so I was fully on Mel's side there. You don't up and quit a job with no resources. You bust your ass and try to save, or at least partially support yourself when you're expecting someone else to give you money. Sister did not seem remotely open to the idea of working again. If it were an issue of being fired, or actually trying but having no luck getting hired somewhere, I think the whole conversation would have gone differently. Or it's all fake for the show. Who knows.

• Love 7

For the love of god, can Dani please push up her glasses?  Maybe get new ones if those don't fit?  Every time I see her, glasses askance, wonky eyes peering over them, I get so distracted.  How can she even see out of them?  

That's my only comment.  You've all already said everything I've thought about this mess.  

• Love 14
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 10:29 AM, happy hobo said:

That is NOT the case. The area has a lot of influx (in the last 5-10 yrs) from the NYC area.  Prejudice there is no greater than anywhere else and a lot less than in other areas of the country.  (My family still lives in the area).  Perhaps Melanie just stays in her white-bread neighborhood? Or is it part of TLC storyline? It is just not so. 

Jobs in the area are difficult for anyone......you have to be willing to commute to :NYC/Mount Pocono/ Lehigh Valley but except for NYC, the others are a piece of cake drive and there are commuter buses to all of those areas. 

The area where they are isn't too terribly bad - Pottsville to the North and Reading to the South are both culturally diverse areas, but the job market sucks.  However, Up Route 61 from them a bit, you will find areas that aren't very tolerant.  A Latino immigrant was either killed or severely injured in one of the smaller communities up the road a bit.  His best bet would be to go to the Lehigh Valley to work (Allentown area).  There are jobs to be found there, it's a culturally diverse area, and isn't too far from where they live.  Mr. Funky is from Allentown.

Dani drives me up the wall with her mis-pronouncing of words.  It's bad enough people where I live in Hicksville PA can't pronounce stuff right.  I cringe every time she calls him "Ma-Ha-Mitt" or talked about "Ha-La" cooking.  **SHUDDER**

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 2:28 PM, DangerousMinds said:

Mel did say that Devar is working, and that he wasn't making a lot of money.  Living in New York City, I am familiar with the culture of "sending money back home."  However, I don't understand why this is expected if the sender can't afford it.  When my children were little, there was a very nice lady who would watch them, occasionally.  She told me that she had to send half of what she earned to her family on the island of Antigua.  In the meantime, she was living in a high crime neighborhood in the Bronx.  Devar seemed to enjoy flashing that wad of cash. Hope it was his and not Mel's.  I didn't care for Punkeshar's entitled attitude.  She didn't appear the least bit grateful.   

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Bunky said:

For the love of god, can Dani please push up her glasses?  Maybe get new ones if those don't fit?  Every time I see her, glasses askance, wonky eyes peering over them, I get so distracted.  How can she even see out of them?  

That's my only comment.  You've all already said everything I've thought about this mess.  

Even if she can't afford a new pair of glasses, the optical shop she got her glasses from would adjust them free of charge.  At least they do that where I live.

• Love 2

You can buy glasses online for next to nothing nowadays. I get progressives for under $100, and single visions for my son for $20. But of course Dani can't pay her bills so even $20 would take a bite out of the budget, I guess. And yes, any optical shop should adjust them for free, doesn't even need to be the place she bought them!