Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: No One Said This Job Was Easy

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Five new yachties join veterans Capt. Lee, Kate, Ben and Kelley as they prepare the luxury vessel Valor for travel in the Season 4 opener. Charter guests include a social-media-consumed darling and her friends, and Kate tutors two junior stewardesses.

This is why we love Cap'n Lee. Would Captain Mark ever say "Screw the pooch" or "Hashtag get me out of here"?

Also I noticed a bunch of H's on the blankets, pillows, etc. Were those left over from the SS Honda?(AKA the Honor from season 1... The "logo" looked like the word "Honda," not "Honor")

Looking forward to the season, though Stormy Weather and that douchey Trevor may get under my skin. But hey, if it were all smooth sailing (pun not really intended, sort of), this would be on the Travel Channel...

• Love 5

Hey guys, did know know Trevor had worked on boats before? He's a senior deckhand. 

That might be true, but a season of that is going to get tiring. You might be a senior deckhand, but in the hierarchy of Below Deck you're at the bottom. Rule #1 if you want to advance: don't be a douche or let them edit you as a villain and then we'll talk about senior deckhand

Experience doesn't matter for this show. He should have known better. 

Also, Sierra? She seems like the kind of person that skates by on charm but is super dumb. She missed her flight ... because she didn't hear the flight announcement? Like, she was in the airport and knew her plane was scheduled and ... still missed it? I don't understand. 

• Love 22

I can tell already that Trevor suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.  If I were one of the underling deck hands that senior deck hand shit would get old the first time he said it.  And taking Nico's bunk?  GTFO you asshole.

Edited by Moncheechee
Auto correct nightmare
  • Love 18

The blankets and pillows were Hermes.

42 minutes into the season and it's obvious that Trevor sucks. For someone who claims to have as much experience as Trevor does, you would think he would know better than to take up space in the galley flirting with a stew. What a smug condescending troll dipshit.

I guess this is Kelley on his best behavior.  I'm not impressed.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 12

I remember thinking Eddie had bad managerial skills, but at least he was, well, managing.  Kelley had to ask the captain how to handle his two deckhands thinking a third deckhand was brash?  Wow.  That was lame.  Loved the captain's answer: if I have to do your job AND my job, what do I have you for?

• Love 17

I'm confused.  Is "Senior Deckhand" really just a term Trevor coined on the spur of the moment and decided to designate himself?  Because if so, Kelley needs to nip that in the bud, pronto.

But then, if they hired a crewmate with Bosun/Boatswain experience, what are they doing putting Kelley in charge?  Kelley obviously has zero experience managing a unit if he has to run to the captain and ask for advice on how to address the first kerfluffle.  Sigh.  Let's not waste any time setting the scene for maximum conflict, show.

Did anyone else get Sarah's No. 1 "Below Dick" on the recap?  Mine just ended with the nose-picker photos--which I didn't even grok because I was too busy searching the folds in the sheets for evidence of boner.  Anyway, the only person left is Ben--and I've seen Ben be a lot worse, except . . . I hope the chef and the hostess where I dine don't hop on the counter and steep their feet in the kitchen sink.

• Love 2

Despite his iffy-seeming knowledge of boat lingo, we know Trevor is normally a bosun, because he immediately started sexually harassing someone! Yay! He even told Sierra to smile. Hopefully, when Capt. Lee inevitably dispatches him, it is salty and satisfying.

Also, the name Trevor is almost as punchable as Trevor's actual face is.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Eater of Worlds said:

Did no one notice Trevor picking his nose and eating it when he was in bed, with the night vision?

Ew. No. Well, on the bright side, my appetite for a late-night snack has waned....

Even though this episode was mostly filler and boring intros, I am all in! After the shipreck that was BD Med, I need the OGs back. I never thought I would miss Capt Lee on my screen but he is back in fighting form #getmeoutofhere

I'm so excited to hatewatch the shit out of Trevor and his hair modeling senior dickhanding. His only redeeming quality is getting under Kelly's skin so I do hope he sticks around for at least a few charters. I like Lauren but the other one I think is well on his way to being a twat. Not even 24 hours into the season and he's already whining to plot a mutiny. 

And that yacht is divine! Forget about abs, the only eye candy I want is crisp clean lines on an all-white boat. Gorgeous! 

• Love 15
41 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

Even though my opinion of him slipped a lot last season, the show doesn't seem the same without Eddie.   Does anyone know why he's no longer on the show?  

He wanted to concentrate on his commercial maritime career, that is, becoming a tugboat captain, he said.  But I think at least partially it had to do with his behavior last season and he wasn't happy about himself.

• Love 12

I can't help it, I love Captain Lee.  I think he's just a regular guy who stumbled into a little bit of fame and money and is loving it.  I think he's in on the joke so to speak.  I bet he loves the bit of fame me has, it's probably not so much that it's a big bother when he's in public but being recognized and being asked for his autograph is probably a big boost to him.   He'll ride it until it's over and then go back to his life. 

The charter guests annoyed me. I can't imagine being on a yacht that beautiful with the ocean and beautiful scenery all around  and being glued to my phone.  I just don't understand that, your phone will always be there but when will you be back on that yacht? 

Edit:  Thank you @Eater of Worlds for the answer about Eddie.  

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, candall said:

I'm confused.  Is "Senior Deckhand" really just a term Trevor coined on the spur of the moment and decided to designate himself?  Because if so, Kelley needs to nip that in the bud, pronto.

But then, if they hired a crewmate with Bosun/Boatswain experience, what are they doing putting Kelley in charge?  Kelley obviously has zero experience managing a unit if he has to run to the captain and ask for advice on how to address the first kerfluffle.  Sigh.  Let's not waste any time setting the scene for maximum conflict, show.

I suspect that it was a toss up between Kelley or Trevor as the bosun and someone decided that with Trevor as the bosun the deck crew would be in open revolt halfway through the season and it becomes dangerous to have a crew who is ignoring the bosun. Below Deck: Mediterranean had a completely dysfunctional deck crew partly because the deckhands had their own issues. But it was not helped in the least by a condescending jackass first mate.

After the gilded Trumpian hellscape that was the Ionian Princess, the Valor"s minimalist clean lined design was like a cleanse or a breath of fresh air. So gorgeous.

• Love 6

Early in the episode, right after Kate boarded, they showed a scene with a future guest.  The guy looked so familiar but I can't place him.  It wasn't Slade Smiley, was it?  Anyone else catch it?

Trevor is a booger eating tool.  I didn't understand the guests this charter.  The misshapen Drew Barrymore girl owns a clothing business (store?) and the people she invited are sycophants who follow her on instagram?  Ok.

The previews look amazing, so happy to have this show back.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, McManda said:

Hey guys, did know know Trevor had worked on boats before? He's a senior deckhand. 

That might be true, but a season of that is going to get tiring. You might be a senior deckhand, but in the hierarchy of Below Deck you're at the bottom. Rule #1 if you want to advance: don't be a douche or let them edit you as a villain and then we'll talk about senior deckhand

Experience doesn't matter for this show. He should have known better. 

Also, Sierra? She seems like the kind of person that skates by on charm but is super dumb. She missed her flight ... because she didn't hear the flight announcement? Like, she was in the airport and knew her plane was scheduled and ... still missed it? I don't understand. 

Agree with you on all counts. It's one thing if he has to ask the other deckhands to do something, but to reclaim the top bunk from someone? Fucking uncalled for. I can already tell his attitude is going to be a real problem. 

And yea, it's still early, but Sierra already seems like she doesn't have a lot going on upstairs. I think she said something about just not hearing them call her flight? How do you....? I haven't flown in years, but I know what time my flight is due to leave and about a half hour prior I come to full attention - stay right by my gate, watching for boarding, listen to all announcements, etc. If you're there and you just didn't realize your flight was boarding? Wow. 

Emily, OTOH, seems very capable and hardworking. 

8 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

Despite his iffy-seeming knowledge of boat lingo, we know Trevor is normally a bosun, because he immediately started sexually harassing someone! Yay! He even told Sierra to smile. Hopefully, when Capt. Lee inevitably dispatches him, it is salty and satisfying.

Telling people to smile is one of my absolute biggest pet peeves. That right there made Trevor dead to me. I'm not looking forward to how I can only assume he'll push boundaries this season. 

7 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Everything about Trevor is annoying.  When he was at crew dinner I was getting pissed off about how he uses his fork.  His "you should see me when I play college soccer," regarding his sweating -- ugh

His sweating was insanely disgusting. I would not want to walk onto a yacht and see a weasel like him, dripping with sweat. *shudder*

5 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

And from the shallow end... the primary reminded me of a misshapen Drew Barrymore. 

Abso-freaking-lutely. That was my first thought. 

• Love 6

Early in the episode, right after Kate boarded, they showed a scene with a future guest.  The guy looked so familiar but I can't place him.  It wasn't Slade Smiley, was it?  Anyone else catch it?

It was the guest from the first season with Kate and the 'rocket-ship' towel folding.  Her charter guest soulmate. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

And what was with Trevor setting up the deck furniture by measuring the lines in the flooring?  

I was hoping to see a new Kelly but he still gives me the "I can blow my top at anytime" type of vibe.  Trevor isn't far behind. I didn't like Kelly checking Emily out first thing.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, snarts said:

Trevor is a booger eating tool.  I didn't understand the guests this charter.  The misshapen Drew Barrymore girl owns a clothing business (store?) and the people she invited are sycophants who follow her on instagram?  Ok.

Actually, from a marketing stance, its not the worst idea. You get national exposure for your company at a cost much less than a national ad campaign; you bring along some very carefully selected customers (who have a large following, I'm sure), and they spread the word too. Even though it isn't the audience appeal of a major network prime time show, its still a broader reach than she probably could have afforded otherwise. . . and now she can promote and use "as seen on Bravo" as a tagline, she'll get repeat attention from reruns, and further exposure from write-up on blogs, etc. . . . she's going to get some mileage out of this. . . even if they don't always mention her company name or brand, it will be pretty easy for anyone interested to find out the details. 

Edited by SailorGirl
  • Love 7

madea saloon.jpg

I've never been a fan of Kate, but at least she can correctly pronounce salon.  Hannah drove me nuts last season calling it a SALOON. I so wanted to be a primary so I could say, "A saloon???? Does that mean there will be drunken behavior later and perhaps a gun fight or two??"

Edited by Trace
  • Love 6

I don't buy the Kate lesbian romance for one second. She's doing it for camera time or to annoy Ben.
Trevor is so out of his depth that I almost feel sorry for him. His efforts to compensate for his insecurities are painful to watch.
Speaking of insecurities, Kelly's slobbering about the "hot" guests seems like a pretense as well. Plus, he's supposed to be a manager now, not a clueless newbie.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Blah said:

It was the guest from the first season with Kate and the 'rocket-ship' towel folding.  Her charter guest soulmate. 

Yes, that was him. This will be his third appearance. Enough with him, already. 

Sierra missing her flight was set up manufactured drama, right? Get the pretty one started on the wrong foot so Kate can hate on her.

What makes Kelly qualified to be a Bosun? I thought that took years to accomplish. Or maybe not. 

I like that Captain Lee introduced his two other mystery guys that work for him that are never seen on camera.  I always wondered how the captain was able to take breaks and get some sleep! 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 9

Damn, barely one episode in and I already hate Bryan 2.0. Another jerk who can only feel secure by constantly reminding his mates of his awesome knowledge and seamanship. Gonna get old real fast. And I know he can't help it, but the eyes bug. So to speak.

Kelley-With-An-'E' is starting off strong and says all the right things professing that, unlike last time, he will not be distracted from his leadership duties. But the previews hint at his inability to keep LittleKelley from popping up and creating romance problems with the crew. Just like last time. Will it be Emily? Sierra? It's been five whole months, ya know!

Speaking of, Sierra may not have a lot going on upstairs but <jumping in the shallow end> she's sure got a lot going on upstairs. Which? If she's as ditzy as her first appearances seem, is going to make her a big target for lonely Ben, horny Kelley, and the Senior Dickhand.

The heavy hand of casting is obvious in all these crew choices but, hey, I'm glad the show is back and look forward to the inevitable contrived conflicts.

Side note - I've sailed the BVI quite a bit and it's always fun to see the show hanging out in familiar spots. In fact, I've spent many a night anchored in the Bight at Norman Island and had drinks on the Willie T (formerly the William Thornton). Jumping off the top deck has long been a tradition but can get quite dicey after the patrons have had a few too many.

• Love 4

When Kate said that, for someone so pretty, Sierra should be bitchier, I thought--oh no. She gets by on being pretty and sweet and "naive"! Being bitchy would ruin her way of making her way through the world.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Sierra missing her flight was set up manufactured drama, right? Get the pretty one started on the wrong foot so Kate can hate on her.

That's my guess too. Production probably just put her on a later flight to stir shit. Same with Kelley asking Capt Lee for help with Trevor. It kinda seemed like the cya move that Ben did on the med season when he tattled on Hannah. But it also just felt super awkward like production was whispering in his ear to bond with Lee and try to force a bromance like he and Eddie had.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Sierra missing her flight was set up manufactured drama, right?

The fact that she seemed to be caught without an answer as to how that happened would suggest yes. Am I the only one who thinks "Sierra Storm" sounds like a stripper name? Where has Lauren worked before that she thinks Lee is being demanding by expecting people to do their jobs and not embarrass themselves or their employer?

• Love 7

Trevor must be a producer's / editor's dream.  He's obviously giving them a lot to work with, and they are showing no mercy.  Dude is never gonna get laid after this season.   He is just...ewww, in a whole laundry list of ways.

I almost feel bad for the guy - what a sad sack.

• Love 4

Love the new yacht - - it's gorgeous.  And the BVI?  Wow.  The water is amazingly blue and just looks like an absolute paradise.

Captain Lee is back and salty as ever.  Like a poster above (too lazy to scroll), I'm always miffed that charter guests are on social media and/or drunk off their asses rather than taking in the scenery.  

If Sierra truly did miss her flight because she didn't hear the notifications (because they do call more than once), she's either a flat out moron or she was sitting in the bar.  Or maybe both.  She seems sweet.  And completely ditzy.  

I didn't see the season with Kelley so no real opinion of him yet other than he needs to grow a pair before going to Capt. Lee to ask how to do his job.  Doh.

Happy to see Ben again.  He can come cook for me anytime.

Trevor is a massive douche.  I don't care if he's the SENIOR DECKHAND and a former hair model, kicking Nico out of the top bunk is totally unacceptable.  If you wanted the top bunk, maybe you should have shown up earlier or asked if Nico would be willing to switch with you.  Dick.  So glad that the editing monkeys clearly don't like him and showed that disgusting scene of him picking his nose.  

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Trace said:

I've never been a fan of Kate, but at least she can correctly pronounce salon.  Hannah drove me nuts last season calling it a SALOON. I so wanted to be a primary so I could say, "A saloon???? Does that mean there will be drunken behavior later and perhaps a gun fight or two??"

Hannah was not incorrect.

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/saloon

Yes, some say that it is spelled 'saloon' but pronounced 'salon'.  However dictionaries don't make that distinction. 

6 minutes ago, breezy424 said:

Hannah was not incorrect.

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/saloon

Yes, some say that it is spelled 'saloon' but pronounced 'salon'.  However dictionaries don't make that distinction. 

A couple of years ago the New York Times announced that they were going to start spelling comptroller the way it was pronounced. Which was a big old record scratch for me because I was like "how's it supposed to be pronounced?" Apparently, it's controller. Thanks a lot English.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

Goodness, I have such an older man crush on Capt. Lee, and I DO NOT like older men...  mroar!

Love the new interior of the yacht.  It's a thousands times better than that mess in the Med.  

Trevor - what a pig. Kelley is NOT going to go down smiling this year...

Ben is so bothered by Kate and her girlfriend.  I love it!

• Love 5

Trevor only brought up the bunk switch because he realized no one was paying any attention to him.  Everyone else were busy eating, laughing and getting to know each other…but no one paid him any mind.  Probably because he already proved himself an asshole by trying to do Kelley's job.  I loved the other deckhands making fun of him.

Yacht is gorgeous!  So much better than the Med boat.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Barb23 said:

And what was with Trevor setting up the deck furniture by measuring the lines in the flooring?  

I was hoping to see a new Kelly but he still gives me the "I can blow my top at anytime" type of vibe.  Trevor isn't far behind. I didn't like Kelly checking Emily out first thing.

Hee.  What cracked me up is when I saw Cap'n Lee in the upcoming previews saying "Come over here so I can rip your head off !!" and the camera panned to Kelley.  Damn.  I hope that's a real thing.

• Love 7