Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Meaning not liking sugar is a Northern thing?

Haha, yes, but not so much not liking sugar - I have a sweet tooth, but for things that are supposed to be sweet like cookies or brownies or ice cream - but adding sugar to things that people in the north might not. For example, sweet tea is gross.

Also, adding large amounts of butter. I was eh on more of the traditional southern foods like fried chicken and biscuits until I was in the south actually eating them. Then I was told the taste difference was probably because there was probably a pound of butter in the biscuits. I can't think too much about it because it would make me feel bad, but man where they the best biscuits I'd eaten.

It's not necessarily bad, it's just a difference in cooking traditions. I'm still not adding sugar to my Jiffy mix, though.

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, SaySay24 said:

That chili doesn’t look too good. It does look like some sort of vegetable soup! 

That's chili?  Looks like Campbell's Vegetable beef straight out of the can!

• Love 4

I live in the south and my husband and I prefer unsweetened tea. Every restaurant here serves both. However, when we vacationed in the northeast U.S. and Ontario, most restaurants we could only get sweet tea. One restaurant told us it comes presweetened in gallon concentrate. Yuck! 

• Love 4
Just now, ehall1052 said:

I live in the south and my husband and I prefer unsweetened tea. Every restaurant here serves both. However, when we vacationed in the northeast U.S. and Ontario, most restaurants we could only get sweet tea. One restaurant told us it comes presweetened in gallon concentrate. Yuck! 

I have lived most of my life in both Ohio and North Carolina.   I used to be able to drink the sweet tea down here,  but I spent enough of my adulthood in Ohio and now cannot.   I do have a fondness for fresh brewed tea with a modest amount of sweetener.   

• Love 4
(edited)
19 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

I only drink unsweetened iced tea.  When I go back to Canada to visit family and ask for it in a restaurant, the response I get is "Oh, you must be from the States!"  I don't ask anymore.  I do put sugar in my hot tea.  When I lived in Texas and asked for a cup of tea in a restaurant I got a glass of sweet tea.  I learned quickly to ask for "hot tea".   Regional differences are quite amusing.

ETA: When I order "hot tea" in the US, it always comes with lemon.  I have to ask for milk.  In Canada , the UK and Ireland, milk (not cream) is always provided, but if you want lemon you have to ask.  

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 8

I'm enjoying this discussion of regional tea preferences!

I only drink sweetened iced tea. I like it very sweet and very stout. Not sure why I always order it at restaurants because I'm almost always invariably disappointed. The only person I've ever met who makes tea the way I like it besides my family is someone I knew who was from the same area of Appalachian North Carolina/Tennessee as my grandma, whose tea is what I grew up on. We vented quite a bit at each other about how hard it is to find good sweet tea. 

I don't know what look I have on my face when I am told a restaurant doesn't have sweet tea, but it must be one of bitter disappointment because the servers always look really alarmed and immediately apologize. I've been surprised at the number of restaurants in the South where I have been told they don't have sweet tea. 

• Love 4

I grew up in the South and everyone drank sweet tea.  The way my mother made it was adding tea bags to the hot water and letting it steep for about 15 minutes.  Then she took out the tea bags and dumped in about a cup of sugar.  I think it made about a quart of sweet tea.  I grew up near the NC/TN border so maybe that's how they all made it there.

I honestly don't like sweet tea anymore and always order "unsweetened tea" since the default might be sweet tea.

I didn't mean to continue the drift from the Dullards.   I haven't seen a recipe from Jill yet that I'd want to make...

• Love 3

The best cornbread recipe I've ever made is the jalapeño cheddar cornbread from Ali Larter's cookbook Kitchen Revelry.

It's made from scratch, but is less complicated that what Jill has up there involving packet mixes.

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, McManda said:

Haha, yes, but not so much not liking sugar - I have a sweet tooth, but for things that are supposed to be sweet like cookies or brownies or ice cream - but adding sugar to things that people in the north might not. For example, sweet tea is gross.

Also, adding large amounts of butter. I was eh on more of the traditional southern foods like fried chicken and biscuits until I was in the south actually eating them. Then I was told the taste difference was probably because there was probably a pound of butter in the biscuits. I can't think too much about it because it would make me feel bad, but man where they the best biscuits I'd eaten.

It's not necessarily bad, it's just a difference in cooking traditions. I'm still not adding sugar to my Jiffy mix, though.

No sugar in your Jiffy mix? Blasphemy!!!

Jill’s cornbread recipe is kind of similar to a crawfish cornbread recipe minus the crawfish tails and holy trinity.  But I’m from Cajun country so we cook differently.  Best damn food in the country though.  Everyone deep fries their turkey and cayenne pepper makes everything better.  

I think most things she cooks are disgusting, but tasty is in the eye of the beholder.  I definitely don’t find small, strange looking food appetizing, and believe most foods need more than salt and pepper.  But that’s based on being an African-American woman from SW Louisiana who grew up eating foods that people from other regions find way too spicy, but is considered normal to me.  My idea of hot or spicy makes most peoples eyes water.  Jill’s culinary concoctions are a product of her environment too.  

Jill really doesn’t know any better recipe wise, and she’s too obtuse and arrogant to try to learn anything new. It’s a shame because her kids are that age where if she doesn’t get them into veggies and grains now, she likely never will.  Izzy would probably love the Italian zucchini casserole I made last week, or my lemon pepper steelhead trout and grilled asparagus.   Those poor kids are really getting the short end of the stick. 

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 12
58 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

No sugar in your Jiffy mix? Blasphemy!!!

Jill’s cornbread recipe is kind of similar to a crawfish cornbread recipe minus the crawfish tails and holy trinity.  But I’m from Cajun country so we cook differently.  Best damn food in the country though.  Everyone deep fries their turkey and cayenne pepper makes everything better.  

I think most things she cooks are disgusting, but tasty is in the eye of the beholder.  I definitely don’t find small, strange looking food appetizing, and believe most foods need more than salt and pepper.  But that’s based on being an African-American woman from SW Louisiana who grew up eating foods that people from other regions find way too spicy, but is considered normal to me.  My idea of hot or spicy makes most peoples eyes water.  Jill’s culinary concoctions are a product of her environment too.  

Jill really doesn’t know any better recipe wise, and she’s too obtuse and arrogant to try to learn anything new. It’s a shame because her kids are that age where if she doesn’t get them into veggies and grains now, she likely never will.  Izzy would probably love the Italian zucchini casserole I made last week, or my lemon pepper steelhead trout and grilled asparagus.   Those poor kids are really getting the short end of the stick. 

Well hey. We lived in Baton Rouge for over 40 years til recently. There is some fabulous food there!  My BFF is a local and is a fab cook. Miss her and her kitchen. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Well hey. We lived in Baton Rouge for over 40 years til recently. There is some fabulous food there!  My BFF is a local and is a fab cook. Miss her and her kitchen. 

We lived in Bossier City for a while. The food was fabulous around there too. 

• Love 2

One of my most favorite things in life is when you pour the freshly brewed hot sweet tea over ice and drink it and the liquid hits your mouth as hot cold hot cold hot cold. It is divine. In my house we make two quarts of tea every day and a half.

i could not agree more with a post upthread that Jill needs an angle instead of allllll the angles. Vegetable beef stew made with cans lists Bragg’s liquid aminos as one of the ingredients. Not “soy sauce or substitute Bragg’s liquid aminos if gluten-free.” Pick an angle! The mish mash is weird! But what do I know, she got 22k likes for the stupid gummies so joke’s on me.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Small world. I’m from the other side of the state but I live in Baton Rouge now!  I’d pay just about anything to see Derdick here during an LSU home game. The beer consumption would make his head explode!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I just saw this on Twitter. Ugh. 

Screenshot_20180730-202505-1.png

That's exactly what Derdick wants. I remember someone on Twitter also told him that the show should move to the UP network, so that he and Jill were allowed back on the show, and he said that that was a good idea. Even if UP was trying you get the Duggars on their network they would not be offered the kind of money TLC pays out. Derdick is fucken delusional and the Duggars are completely toxic, I doubt UP even wants them. 

• Love 10
17 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Canned potatoes are not that bad.  My mom will use them in her vegetable beef soup along with canned veggies, but she also drains them, uses a better cut of beef, and uses actual spices.  They also are good to use for the eastern NC staple of boiled potatoes, but again there is a huge sauce component. 

Canned potatoes are awesome in a beef curry

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Lunera said:

I remember someone on Twitter also told him that the show should move to the UP network, so that he and Jill were allowed back on the show, and he said that that was a good idea. Even if UP was trying you get the Duggars on their network they would not be offered the kind of money TLC pays out. Derdick is fucken delusional and the Duggars are completely toxic, I doubt UP even wants them. 

Yeah, the Duggars will leave TLC over Jim Bob's dead body. He managed to keep his family hanging onto the TLC gravy train throughout Josh's scandals and he's not about to give up now. The only way he'll move to a second-tier cable network is when TLC finally cancels them due to declining ratings. For Jim Bob, it's all about the Benjamins (and I don't mean the son-in-law)

• Love 14
On 7/28/2018 at 9:08 AM, Jeeves said:

I read this today, and then a few minutes later read the second letter in this advice column. A pregnant mom of a 2 year old was worrying about the toddler's reactions to having to share her parents' attention with the new baby. The columnist's advice was pretty weak, IMO, but the comments were just bursting with "involve your husband" and "involve your two-year-old in 'helping' you with the baby." I immediately thought of the Dillards and their inept parenting as shown on video.

I wonder if this is more fallout from MEchelle's infamous "sister mom" system of child-rearing. I assume that Jill and the other young Duggar daughters were just handed infants and toddlers to take care of, with minimal instructions on how to do it. They muddled through as best they could, and now they probably (and not unjustifiably) feel they know how to parent because they did that. But IMO Jill doesn't know what she doesn't know, if that makes sense. She learned whatever she knows about babies and toddlers when she was very young herself and I doubt it's occurred to her that as an adult she might have more to learn on that subject, that either she wasn't exposed to in the past or wasn't yet mature enough to appreciate back then. Jilly's a model student and dutiful follower of doctrine, and I don't think it would occur to her to question authority or the fabulous wisdom of her Godly parents, or to wonder if there's more to know about parenting than her parents and the Pearls have shared. And Derick is just obviously clueless, and an authoritarian along with it. Poor kids.

Is Derick the eldest or second son?  Maybe he's overcompensating on those grounds.  I have been very conscious of "include the eldest", ever since I stumbled across a conversation between two of the bosses at my firm, with "A" asking "B", if he had given "B" a baby present for his second baby.  "B" said, "Yes, I recall it pretty distinctly, because you also sent along a wrapped present of wooden dinosaurs for the toddler."  As the eldest myself, I thought that was a very classy addition, which I resolved to follow myself in future, with a "big brother/big sister" present (I was already spending time including the elder sibling in an age-appropriate sibling conversation on the topic which I thought they'd like).

(Aside: I always abhorred the concept of sweet tea, because I don't like bottled brands, and have in fact thought to myself "I feel this is because they dump too much sugar in it"; though it could also, quite possibly, be the "mint" or "lemon" flavorings they think are good, as I often don't like artificial flavors in my foods.  Then I went to, I think Kentucky, on a family occasion, and "inherited" my sister's sweet tea (she too had to spend her time in restaurants of that destination specifying "hot", as she's diabetic), which I actually found delicious, and was sad when I could no longer get the restaurant's formulation.  I also don't like many flavored "hot teas" either, though they often seem like a good idea when I am regarding boxes on a shelf.)  

• Love 2
11 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I just saw this on Twitter. Ugh. 

Screenshot_20180730-202505-1.png

*eyeroll*

That guy makes no sense. Why should the rest of the family risk their livelihood when Derelict is the one who can't stop shooting his mouth off? The siblings don't even like Jill, so why would they cut off their paychecks over her even more unlikable husband?

• Love 23
(edited)

I have a similar recipe to Jill's corn casserole.  Mine includes cans of regular & creamed corn with the liquid. Mine also has sour cream in it.  My SIL has one with the eggs in it which makes it much fluffier. Without the eggs it's just more like a wetter cornbread.  Both recipes are tasty & easy to make.

ETA:  Dont think my recipes have sugar in them. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, McManda said:

I was gifted a new set of measuring cups as a housewarming gift recently and they have a 1/8 cup. I think they're OXO brand? Either way I was surprised because I've never had a 1/8 cup before.

I also have a box of Jiffy cornbread mix in my cupboard. Its 4th ingredient is sugar. It already has 8 grams of sugar per serving, so it definitely doesn't need more unless your intent is corn cake.

(Corn is already sweet and creamed corn is more sweet than I'd like anyway, so I definitely don't understand the added sugar. Maybe it's a northern thing? I just make the Jiffy mix with an egg and milk and call it a day.)

Jiffy is so sweet it needs no sugar.  I have made it for dessert before when I want something sweet and I am too lazy to make a regular cake (which I do from scratch most of the time).

• Love 7
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I have a similar recipe to Jill's corn casserole.  Mine includes cans of regular & creamed corn with the liquid. Mine also has sour cream in it.  My SIL has one with the eggs in it which makes it much fluffier. Without the eggs it's just more like a wetter cornbread.  Both recipes are tasty & easy to make. 

I make mine with the two corns (as I call them), Jiffy mix, sour cream, eggs and melted butter. I sprinkle some paprika on top. I gave my co-worker the recipe and he added jalapenos to it. 

Oh my it is so good. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I make mine with the two corns (as I call them), Jiffy mix, sour cream, eggs and melted butter. I sprinkle some paprika on top. I gave my co-worker the recipe and he added jalapenos to it. 

Oh my it is so good. 

I don't think I've ever made corn casserole, but add in the sour cream, eggs, BUTTER, paprika and Jalapenos and I'm gonna have to try that.  Of course I don't think I've ever used canned corn - I always either got fresh ears and made cream corn from it, hmmm.

• Love 1
(edited)
19 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

I don't think I've ever made corn casserole, but add in the sour cream, eggs, BUTTER, paprika and Jalapenos and I'm gonna have to try that.  Of course I don't think I've ever used canned corn - I always either got fresh ears and made cream corn from it, hmmm.

You can also use margarine. 

I love all kinds of cornbread so I probably would eat Jill's cornbread (the shock!)

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

They still make margarine?  LOL  I don't think I've had margarine in 2 or 3 decades - BUTTER was for butter love, because everything is better with butter - at least to me

Its Vegetable Flaxseed Oil Spread from Smart Balance to be exact! You can use whatever you want. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Sweets seem to be a thing for the Dillard Family. At Samuel’s first birthday, Israel was eating Skittles.

Did the garden die?

Probably since they weren’t growing skittles and gummy bears.

• Love 16
30 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

I think the garden was just a photo op.

Or it was like everything else the Duggars do. See it, try it, stop. Probably didn't realize it's an ongoing job. I can see Jill just shocked that tomatoes aren't sprouting up everywhere because the tags on the plants showed pictures of tomatoes.

• Love 10
On 7/30/2018 at 2:16 PM, MamaMax said:

I would have to say "Hell yeah." Michelle's "parenting" has left Jill totally emotionally stunted IMO.

As an aside, when my baby #2 was coming home from the hospital, I literally cried, thinking of baby #1 whose WHOLE world was about to turn upside down! I made damn sure that she did not feel left out! I consciously let baby #2 cry sometimes if #1 also wanted/needed me. #2 wasn't going to die from a minute or two extra crying and #1 wouldn't feel like she was always second best to new baby.  I also made sure that people fussed over #1 when they came to see #2.  I HATE IT when people practically push the older kids aside in the rush to get to the new baby!  I make a point to always talk and make eye contact with the older kids before fussing over the new one, usually asking the older child if they will introduce me to "their" new brother/sister, and then ask them lots of questions about THEIR thoughts on the newbie.

I use them in my quickie chicken pot pie. Saves quite a bit of prep time on a weeknight.

This was me. My husband's grandma and her husband came to visit us not too long after youngest was born. They were driving through the area and only showed up for a few hours which wasn't terrible. When they got there the baby was awake and my oldest was napping. His grandma asked if they did that often---napped on different schedule and I said "Yeah, I did it that way on purpose." You would have thought I murdered someone by the way she looked at me. She could not wrap her head around purposefully putting my two kids on different nap scheduled but I enjoyed it---when oldest napped youngest had my attention, when youngest napped oldest had my attention. Was I tired? Sure, but I survived and they didn't have an ounce of sibling jealousy. Even now at 8 and 9, they get along well and rarely fight. It wasn't oldests fault we had a second, why should she lose her mom just because we decided to add another one. 

It's completely opposite with Jill and Derick I fear---they both had traumatic births but Jill definitely doesn't treat Sam the way she treated Izzy. We don't see the kid cry, we don't see Derick being an asshole, we don't see swaddled torture pictures, we don't even get the same phrasing. Whatever Izzy did in a past life has him hated by, at the very least Derick, and Jill is too aloof to see it. It's sad to watch...even from afar. 

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Part of an InTouch article about the show last night:

Ben cooks up what is probably the healthiest meal on the show and it's disorienting.

Can't tell if that's apple juice or (gasp!) beer in their glasses (probably not). The line-up, however, is remarkably well-rounded for a Duggar couple. Steak, fresh greens, even quinoa. Like this is such a departure from the world of Tater Tot Casserolesand other depressing recipes that I'm almost confused about what family I'm watching...

...OH, JILL'S NOT ON THE SHOW ANYMORE.

That's right.

Bwahahahaha! Go Ben---cook real, healthy food, start a blog and name it "I Do It Better" please!

• Love 20
6 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Jiffy is so sweet it needs no sugar.  I have made it for dessert before when I want something sweet and I am too lazy to make a regular cake (which I do from scratch most of the time).

I’m a Southern gal who has eaten cornbread from scratch since toddlerhood.  I’ve eaten Jiffy cornbread once in my entire life, and I honestly thought it was cake.  There was much laughter when I complimented the hostess on her dessert.  Lol.  This Kentucky girl doesn’t like her cornbread sweet!

• Love 9
13 hours ago, BitterApple said:

*eyeroll*

That guy makes no sense. Why should the rest of the family risk their livelihood when Derelict is the one who can't stop shooting his mouth off? The siblings don't even like Jill, so why would they cut off their paychecks over her even more unlikable husband?

This is a big deal over on the Lily and Ellie blog. Their commenters are constantly wishing that the Duggars would move to the same network as the Bates so that the entire family including Josh and Derick could be featured a la 19 kids and Counting. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

This is a big deal over on the Lily and Ellie blog. Their commenters are constantly wishing that the Duggars would move to the same network as the Bates so that the entire family including Josh and Derick could be featured a la 19 kids and Counting. 

...They really think the folks at UP want to borrow TLC's headaches?  Maybe a Survivor type reality show would take Derick or Josh on, to pit them against some nice gay/trans folks and watch the fur fly, but that would be for a network and show that courts and wants controversy.  I mean, I don't know why I'm surprised that leghumpers don't understand TV, business, or the hybrid when it's smashed together... and yet.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

And anyone with half a brain knows that UP will never take on the Duggars as long as the scandal-free Bateses keep cranking out 30+ episodes/year.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 19

Didn't Derick fess up and say that TLC wouldn't pay for one of the boys' births? The reason Derick's off the show isn't because TLC isn't wholesome enough, it's because Derick wasn't given the financial compensation he asked for. Jazz has been on TLC since 2015. Derick didn't start slamming TLC until this year, so all his double talk has his fans believing his bullshit.

I believe if Derick got what he asked for Jazz would never have been brought up. Derick had a hissy fit and Jazz was collateral damage. 

Derick is not going to be welcomed by any network due to his own behavior. 

• Love 20
On 7/30/2018 at 11:18 AM, ginger90 said:

WOW!  Jill likes gummies??!!!  That is AMAZING!!  And here I thought this large company was manufacturing, packaging, and marketing them just for little ol' me!  I guess it's me and Jill now!  Of course that makes sense because she's a super speshul Duggar. 

Seriously, something is wrong with her.

• Love 15
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Given the state of Jill's skin, it would behoove her to lay off the sugar. 

I like how you use the word behoove in the above sentence. I could not even attempt to eat gummies right now. My mouth is still sore from the dental work I had last week, and the TMJ is causing bad earaches from having the work done. I probably would be screaming due to the pain if I tried one. My left side of my mouth is sore also due to the weird things the dentist put in my mouth to fix the cavities on the right side.

10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Didn't Derick fess up and say that TLC wouldn't pay for one of the boys' births? The reason Derick's off the show isn't because TLC isn't wholesome enough, it's because Derick wasn't given the financial compensation he asked for. Jazz has been on TLC since 2015. Derick didn't start slamming TLC until this year, so all his double talk has his fans believing his bullshit.

I believe if Derick got what he asked for Jazz would never have been brought up. Derick had a hissy fit and Jazz was collateral damage. 

Derick is not going to be welcomed by any network due to his own behavior. 

Yup. He asked for help after Israel's birth and was told no. 

• Love 6