Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)
16 hours ago, louannems said:

The Duggars love to tell how much they love freedom, however, NO Duggars (except bad christian grandpa) has ever enlisted in the military!

That is interesting isn't it.  With all those strong strapling sons who claim to love "Merica" not one has enlisted?  It's not like they have a real job that is stopping them from doing so.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 8
(edited)

So they love freedom they don't personally fight for in order to enforce family rules that guarantee none, and "missions" and "purposes" and "gospel" that try to impose those same denials of freedom on everyone else in America and around the world. Okay. 

Edited by Magoo
Spelling!
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Lunera said:

Jill is huge! I don't know much about pregnancy but is it normal for her belly to look like it's just hanging there all lumpy? I've never seen a pregnant woman with a belly like that. I know women who have used belly supports because it just gets so heavy.

IMO her shape looks like the baby is in a transverse position.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I tend to agree.  He seemed perfectly happy on his own in Nepal.  Anyone who is introverted or content to be a lone wolf, would find a gaggle of Duggars a bit much to deal with.

Then maybe he should stop making his own gaggle.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

Her stomach in the second picture. Is that granny panties waistband? Elastic skirt waistband? A scar being stretched almost to its breaking point?

Belly support band, maybe?

(edited)
10 minutes ago, Genevrier said:

Belly support band, maybe?

I didn't know they existed until 5 minutes ago. You're probably right. 

Edited by Kokapetl
17 hours ago, louannems said:

More chicken nuggets? At least Izzy is excited about the fireworks and I love his little chair.

This is a nice picture. The picture makes sense as subject for a photo; Izzy looks clean, his clothes match and fit him, and the little chair is cute.

I also like that the Dullards occassionally take him places and do things without a mob of Duggars in tow.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

This is a nice picture. The picture makes sense as subject for a photo; Izzy looks clean, his clothes match and fit him, and the little chair is cute.

I also like that the Dullards occassionally take him places and do things without a mob of Duggars in tow.

Maybe its just me but I would be bugged if I showed up in some random Duggar pic that they have instagrammed out for anyone to see.  Fuzz out the faces of those that may not want to be part of your shit show!  These aren't random people posting random family pics.  This is someone on a tv show with tons of hate watchers and leg humpers and I would not want any association.  Maybe I am making much of it but it seems weird to me.  But then again I am always backing out of pics.

• Love 8
47 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

Izzy probably thinks the folks sitting around him are Duggars.

• Love 8
(edited)
47 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Workers? Not missionaries? Darkness...........no donate button on twitter, I guess

https://mobile.twitter.com/derick4Him/status/882634704930746370?p=v

I'm sure most of the comments will be going, poof!

"Please join me in praying for our team of workers, who arrive in Central America today to engage darkness w/ the gospel over the next month."

My goodness Derick, it's not like you all go to Africa saving young girls from genital mutilation. Get over yourself and your fake missions and missionary friends.

Edited by GeeGolly
spelling - Sew Sumi scares me ;)
  • Love 21
18 hours ago, louannems said:

More chicken nuggets? At least Izzy is excited about the fireworks and I love his little chair.

At that age my son refused to eat anything but pop tarts. I carried them in my purse if we ate out. I offered a variety of healthy foods and he wouldn't eat anything else. It was a phase and he grew out of it.  Can't believe I'm defending a duggar but it maybe a terrible two thing. 

*I'd rather him eat non-stop chicken nuggets than get beaten for not eating what was offered if this is indeed the case. 

• Love 18
19 minutes ago, Totally said:

Have there been any photos of Jill this week?

If you hit the arrow on the side of the 4th of July Twitter photo post (not the one with Iz and the chicken nugget, but the one further up the page), there are multiple photos. Jill's in a couple, and is clearly still pregnant.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

He also seems like he's in the middle of telling the photographer a long toddler style story too.  

• Love 8
(edited)

in that picture of jill, it could just be the waist of the skirt.  she looks like she has dropped so i would be expecting birth any day now.  as for michelle, don't shoot me but i think she looks really great, for a change. 

Edited by zoomama
because i can spell and punctuate
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, flyingdi said:

More so than Jeremy or Ben, Derick is just not a people person in my opinion.

Good thing that's not a useful skill for a missionary!

Oh wait, is this like Michelle not having a heart for children but still having a passel anyway? He'll be missionary of the year one of these days! 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Good thing that's not a useful skill for a missionary!

Oh wait, is this like Michelle not having a heart for children but still having a passel anyway? He'll be missionary of the year one of these days! 

His interpretive dance skills will take him over the top.

• Love 13

Is it just me or is Cathy leaning away from Michelle in that pic? 

What a difference straighter hair makes to Michelle... Not that's it's straightened straight, just not as nest like as we usually see

• Love 3

He had that on the twitter page before they even announced the name publicly. Not sure how long before the public announcement he had it on there, but it was at least a day. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

"Please join me in praying for our team of workers, who arrive in Central America today to engage darkness w/ the gospel over the next month."

What is this "engage darkness"?  Does it mean the up coming eclipse or having to deal with converting those evil Catholics?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, JennyMominFL said:

Derricks twitter says Papa of  of Israel David  and Samuel Scott. Has it always said that?

He has mentioned that Israel calls him "Papi".

(edited)
1 hour ago, ariel said:

What is this "engage darkness"?  Does it mean the up coming eclipse or having to deal with converting those evil Catholics?

tumblr_mgso3dX0GF1qfcbnno1_400.gif

They spend 23 hours a day locked indoors with the windows blocked, fearing for their blessed lives. I'd say there's lots of room left to engage. It's kid of cute Derick thinks he'll be going back after baby 2.

I found the darkness thing a little off putting, like racist. They're white....going to another continent....but I might be reading too much into it.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 12
27 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

I found the darkness thing a little off putting, like racist. They're white....going to another continent....but I might be reading too much into it.

Nope, I was going to say racist, too. Not intentionally racist, but yeah. He could have followed by saying something about bringing the light of the Gospel. Maybe he didn't think he could finish it that way since the Catholics already have the Gospel.

It's effed up all around. 

• Love 8

I think the "darkness" stuff is pretty standard Fundamentalist Speak. There are some people at my church who might be inclined to pray before a week of Vacation Bible School that  God will overcome the power of Satan in our grade-schoolers' lives.

• Love 7
(edited)
14 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Workers? Not missionaries? Darkness...........no donate button on twitter, I guess

https://mobile.twitter.com/derick4Him/status/882634704930746370?p=v

I'm sure most of the comments will be going, poof!

Well, I expect that word choice may be company policy.  If they're missioncationers (and maybe even if they're not), the word "workers" might be a company-required dodge for SOS to avoid getting pulled in by the law. Only a limited number of people get missionary visas in just about any country because governments generally don't want a bazillion god-botherers messing with their country's culture. So if you call your people missionaries, you're flouting that. So no matter who they are, SOS may not want to risk calling them "missionaries," since bringing in even more missionaries is likely to be illegal. If they're a team that's actually employed by SOS, then they have to call them workers or they're messing with visa law.

And -- if they're missioncationers -- then we know they're actually tourists. But of course they don't want to think of themselves as tourists. They want to think of themselves as doing great mission work for the almighty. So people who work for SOS can't call them "tourists" or "missionaries." So -- "workers." 

SOS would certainly be trying to skirt local law if they actually thought of the visiting U.S. people as "missionaries." But they also can't speak of the visiting U.S. people as "tourists," because that would be destroying the cherished fantasies of their money trees, and those fantasies are why people go. So ... "workers." 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
26 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I take it as, if you aren't like THEM, you are living in darkness.

I think there are two things. Satan is the darkness, for one. .... And their faith (not the Duggs, but the longstanding faith culture they're in) proclaims their faith to be the one true faith. And in the universe of their god, if you haven't embraced the one true faith, then the only alternative for you, in the end, will be Satan. ................But "darkness" also means that you haven't seen the light. You're living in the darkness of not knowing the one true faith. .... This is why there's the urgency to convert convert convert. Everybody who doesn't have the one true faith is living in darkness -- which would, if you literally lived in it, be miserable -- and is not only doomed but is slowing down the whole world's progress toward the glorious second coming of Christ. ....So the "darkness" is two things. 

But the Duggs didn't make any of this up. We talk about them as if they came up with it.  And they really really didn't. They didn't come up with any of this stuff. They're dumb puppets merely spouting what they're repeatedly told by the most revered and honored people in their culture -- both in the present day and in whatever stuff they read from years past. This is not evidence that the Duggs and Dugg adjacents are some uniquely bad people who dream up all this nasty stuff to say about others.  They're following very influential and respected voices who hand them all the language and concepts that we find offensive and call that language and those concepts the only way to eternal life. They're little, dumb puppets. And they're far from being the only ones. There are millions of people who speak and think in the exact same terms that they do. 

• Love 20

Churchhoney: Great post, as usual. What are the Duggars really trying to convey about 'darkness and light' in seeing the light and their spiritual ways being the ONLY way? Are they trying to say that their long hair, skirt wearing Gothard stuff is the only right way to live if you believe in Jesus? Or are they trying to spread the word about Jesus being the Savior? Since the Dillards are preaching to CATHOLIC Christians, my guess would be to convert the world in to skirt wearing females with long hair and flip flops. Catholics already believe that Jesus is the Savior. They need to come clear and state exactly WHAT they are trying to convert people and OTHER CHRISTIANS TO. I hope I made myself clear here, it's early and I'm still a bit tired.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Nope, I was going to say racist, too. Not intentionally racist, but yeah. He could have followed by saying something about bringing the light of the Gospel. Maybe he didn't think he could finish it that way since the Catholics already have the Gospel.

It's effed up all around. 

Up until maybe the 1980s, Christian missionaries were very open with their racism, believing that their white presence alone was enough to inspire the brown heathens. There's no doubt in my mind that that Derrick has that mentality. It might not be all that he meant by the "darkness" thing, but it's a part of it.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Churchhoney: Great post, as usual. What are the Duggars really trying to convey about 'darkness and light' in seeing the light and their spiritual ways being the ONLY way? Are they trying to say that their long hair, skirt wearing Gothard stuff is the only right way to live if you believe in Jesus? Or are they trying to spread the word about Jesus being the Savior? Since the Dillards are preaching to CATHOLIC Christians, my guess would be to convert the world in to skirt wearing females with long hair and flip flops. Catholics already believe that Jesus is the Savior. They need to come clear and state exactly WHAT they are trying to convert people and OTHER CHRISTIANS TO. I hope I made myself clear here, it's early and I'm still a bit tired.

Well, it may be the whole Gothard thing with JB and M and so on. But I don't think any of the Duggar adjacents (except for Anna, who was born one, and maybe Austin?) have really bought into that. ....

However, they're all very much fundamentalist Protestants in the most conservative U.S. mold, the Dugg adjacents included. And, yes, they do believe that the one true faith is just them. The most orthodox of them, and I expect the Duggs and Dugg adjacents all fall into this basket, definitely don't  include even other Protestants in their one true faith, even though ostensibly Protestantism has a big common core..............

I think that to have the one true faith for them, you have to dump infant baptism (which leaves Catholics and mainline Protestants out of it) because people who are of an age of understanding have to have experienced an individual heart-change conversion and after that you don't mess around with any brainiac "confirmation class" stuff or the like (which elevates the intellect and reason to a place they don't give it when it comes to faith); dump any fealty at all to the Church as an institution or to saints (which leaves Catholics out of it); dump all concern for "social justice" and focus entirely -- and very actively; hence the conversion missionarying -- on individual conversion of others as the primary charge that God has given you as a Christian (which leaves both Catholics and many mainline Protestants out of it); accept their Bible -- which primarily means the King James Version although occasionally you do see a little waffling here into another translation or two (which leaves Catholics and, again, many mainline Protestants out of it); declare that you accept the Bible as literal truth and not metaphorical in any way (which, again, leaves Catholics and all mainline Protestants out of it and also leads you to build stupid stuff like the Ark Adventure); and busy yourself getting the world ready for the imminent Second Coming of Christ by trying to put true Christians (their kind) into place everywhere, in all countries, in all positions of authority, etc. etc. etc.(which, again, leaves both Catholics and mainline Protestants out of it). 

I think they're all so steeped in a really quite large cultural milieu (online and among their acquaintance) that believes all of this implicitly that they simply assume that we all know about it, honestly. They're so intensely self-isolated and all these very particular beliefs are so ingrained in them -- and they really know so little about other faiths, including about other Christians -- that I don't think they have a clue that we think different branches of Christianity are essentially similar. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, sheshark said:

Derick Dillard @derick4Him·3h

"A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, & poverty will come upon you like a robber..." (Proverbs 6:10-11a)   Hmmm, Derick, all you do is rest in your free McMansion with pool.

DONATE!!!!! 

We can't see the Dullards starve because they are lazy slugs depending on TLC and their DONATE!!! button to keep them afloat because work is sooooooo haaaaaarrrrrd!!!!

• Love 10
5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I think there are two things. Satan is the darkness, for one. .... And their faith (not the Duggs, but the longstanding faith culture they're in) proclaims their faith to be the one true faith. And in the universe of their god, if you haven't embraced the one true faith, then the only alternative for you, in the end, will be Satan. ................But "darkness" also means that you haven't seen the light. You're living in the darkness of not knowing the one true faith. .... This is why there's the urgency to convert convert convert. Everybody who doesn't have the one true faith is living in darkness -- which would, if you literally lived in it, be miserable -- and is not only doomed but is slowing down the whole world's progress toward the glorious second coming of Christ. ....So the "darkness" is two things. 

But the Duggs didn't make any of this up. We talk about them as if they came up with it.  And they really really didn't. They didn't come up with any of this stuff. They're dumb puppets merely spouting what they're repeatedly told by the most revered and honored people in their culture -- both in the present day and in whatever stuff they read from years past. This is not evidence that the Duggs and Dugg adjacents are some uniquely bad people who dream up all this nasty stuff to say about others.  They're following very influential and respected voices who hand them all the language and concepts that we find offensive and call that language and those concepts the only way to eternal life. They're little, dumb puppets. And they're far from being the only ones. There are millions of people who speak and think in the exact same terms that they do. 

We also have to remember that for a long time most versions of Christianity believed they were the "Only true faith". So less than a hundred years ago the Catholic church was saying "we are the only true faith." and other protestants sects probably said the same thing. ( As a Catholic, I'm more familiar with the history of Catholicism. I also still know Catholics who kind of still believe and not all of them are old).

Then there's the fact a lot of people think Christianity or Judeo-Christian beliefs are the "only true faith" or some such. They seem to think anything is usually lesser to that. My point being that this stuff is hardly unique to the Duggars or even others in their culture.)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

We also have to remember that for a long time most versions of Christianity believed they were the "Only true faith". So less than a hundred years ago the Catholic church was saying "we are the only true faith." and other protestants sects probably said the same thing. ( As a Catholic, I'm more familiar with the history of Catholicism. I also still know Catholics who kind of still believe and not all of them are old).

Then there's the fact a lot of people think Christianity or Judeo-Christian beliefs are the "only true faith" or some such. They seem to think anything is usually lesser to that. My point being that this stuff is hardly unique to the Duggars or even others in their culture.)

Oh, absolutely. In historical terms, that's what faith has been, at least among the western and middle-eastern "one god" faiths.

One thing that sets the fundies apart, though,  these days is that, increasingly, many other faiths over the past several decades at least -- and in the case of mainline Protestants for a century, really -- have tried to figure out ways to hold onto their faiths without proclaiming that they have had the one and only claim to truth. .....How to live as people of faith in religiously diverse societies.  Of course, that hasn't worked out very well for any of them when it comes to keeping adherents! But the attempt to live as a person of faith in a faith-diverse society has been one of the things that strongly marked first mainline Protestants and then to some degree even many Catholics as being different from fundamentalist Protestants.... And that marks a division in Islam today, as well.

When you look at whose numbers have suffered the most over those same years, it seems pretty clear from both Christianity and Islam that people who are enthusiastic about joining and remaining fervently in a faith are mainly enthusiastic about being in a faith that holds itself out there is the one true one. Duggar-type faiths (in both Christianity and in Islam) have picked up members over the past half century or so -- at a great clip at times -- while the people trying to live their faiths while being actively tolerant of and open to other faith beliefs have seen their numbers dwindle. (at this point it appears that the fundie Protestants' numbers also are dropping a bit -- but up until just a few years ago, they've thrived while the churches we'd tend to consider open-minded have just slowly dwindled). 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, sheshark said:

"A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, & poverty will come upon you like a robber..." (Proverbs 6:10-11a)   Hmmm, Derick, all you do is rest in your free McMansion with pool.

My God, he posted that? Can we officially call them the Sluggard family?

• Love 20

Derick always throws quotes on twitter with nothing in his own words. I don't really get the point.

I'd like to tell him it means, get the hell off your ass and get a job!

• Love 10
5 hours ago, sheshark said:

"A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, & poverty will come upon you like a robber..." (Proverbs 6:10-11a) 

He tweeted that????

That boy ain't right.

• Love 16
Just now, GeeGolly said:

Serious question - Does the Bible come off as finger pointing and judgmental?

As a whole, no.  Judge lest not ye be judged, casting the first stone, etc.  However, fundies like the Duggars pick and choose what to emphasize and they tend to dwell on the Old Testament, especially the fire and brimstone stuff.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

As a whole, no.  Judge lest not ye be judged, casting the first stone, etc.  However, fundies like the Duggars pick and choose what to emphasize and they tend to dwell on the Old Testament, especially the fire and brimstone stuff.

beat me to it, also love your neighbor as yourself, more stuff they ignore

• Love 6