Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I have a few friends of Indian nationality, and they have arranged marriages. The spouses apppear content. My opinion is that arranged marriages can work because the parents look for partners who have similar views on family, children, career, $. In families outside the Duggars, parents want their children to be happy and successful. I think Jill looks adorable of late - very eager to begin her life with Derrick.

• Love 4

Watched Anna's sister wedding today. Noticed it was Jill and Jessa who went on and on about what they want in a husband and courting. It's not a surprise for me anymore that Jill is the first to be getting married IMHO. 

I watched it too and it was interesting to contrast what they said then based on what they are doing now.  Jana and Jinger creep me out by how much they do not say...

• Love 2

I just looked at Jerick's wedding registry at Bed Bath and Beyond and they want way too much stuff. What in the world will they do with all this stuff? They have no concept of how a house is arranged or what a newly married couple really needs because neither of them have had any exposure to the outside world.

• Love 1

Well, to be fair, I've known couples who were not so sheltered who had the strangest things on their gift registries--things I couldn't even figure out what were.  I mean, yes, they have issues related to their protected existence, no doubt, I just don't know that you can blame this specifically and solely on that.

Ok, having said that, I went and looked at the registry too.  What struck me was not so much weirdness (ok, a little weirdness) but volume. They clearly are planning on cooking for her entire family somewhat on the regular, judging by the 32 place-settings of dishes they request as well as 27 (!!) different pots and pans (not including baking pans).  Clearly two people do not need 27 pots and pans.  Unless she has a stove with more than 4 burners on it, I'm not sure how having more pans would help even if she was feeding the whole brood.

Also, I counted 32 cutting knives.  I mean, I get that you usually don't expect to get everything on your registry, but if they get even half of what they've asked for the kitchen alone, they'd need a huge kitchen with lots of storage space.  Maybe that's just a sign of not being familiar with living in a smaller space that doesn't have an industrial-sized kitchen.

• Love 1

The last 2 of my cousins who got married, from opposite sides of the family so they've never even met, both had ridiculous registries. Both of them registered at 2 places apiece, and for all the same shit at both places. One cousin is my mom's niece and even my mom was asking what the hell was wrong with her. You don't need to register for sheets, towels, all the kitchen stuff at both Kohl's and Target. One cousin had something like 6 sheet sets, at least 2 sets of everyday dishes, a set of holiday dishes, and the remaining pieces of a set of China my grandma had been buying her for years. Seriously, what the hell? The other one literally had every kitchen gadget at both Bed Bath & Beyond and Target. She must have had like 30 spatulas and spoons, all plastic. 

I swear people just get amazed with the scanner and scan everything they see, regardless if they will ever use it, need it, or even know what it is. 

• Love 2

My son and his bride also registered with BB&B. The rep. had put the same amount of knives on their registery. When they noticed, they had him take a hike and finish by themselves. I bet if the story finished their registery, they would have had about the same amound that Jill-Dill had.

• Love 2

From a practical standpoint, Dill should have thought this through better. I had 2 friends marry in their mid-30s, and of course they already had everything and ended up tossing out a lot of stuff when they combined households. They asked for picture frames, backyard gardening supplies, and donations to two favorite charities. The donation idea would have been so appropriate for a religious couple, who supposedly would believe in that whole "be good to others" thing. 

• Love 4

I think people get hypnotized by those scanner thing - my friend's son & wife registered before their 1st baby. I was so amazed at all the stuff and a lot of it was just every day stuff like diapers, etc., but the absolute kicker was butt cream. Lord, how did they even know they were going to need that?

Sorry, off topic, I just think the whole world of gift registry is out of hand and silly. For the Duggars and all the rest of us!

• Love 4

Oh, yeah, it could possibly have been some store assistant going crazy.  Still. 

but the absolute kicker was butt cream

Not quite in the same vein, but Dill also registered for super glue.

And. . . if it were anyone else, I would say there's no way in heck she would ever use the french fry cutter or the apple peeler/corer.  But the, she is a Duggar, so . . . .

• Love 2

I thought they were going to be missionaries! My dear friend is a missionary and she and her husband don't even have a 'home' in the US and they live in a small third world apartment with their two kids. They knew their plans pre-marriage and I doubt they registered for much or their parents have very full garages of unused stuff....

• Love 1

Good point!  I'd forgotten about that.  I lived overseas as a missionary for a few years, and, I gotta tell you, you don't collect a lot of crap when you have to pay to haul it all over the earth.  Actually we went shortly out of school when we were first married and didn't yet have much, so it worked pretty well.  But after three years we left that assignment in Europe for one in Africa, and a good percentage of things got left behind because shipping is hella expensive.

And, yeah, there aren't many mission assignments where you have a kitchen big enough to hold 27 pans and 32 place settings.

• Love 3

There's no bedding on their registry.  ??  No bath curtains or soap dish stuff.

They may be doing that thing where you ask for more than you need so you can return it and get credit for other stuff.  I wonder if this is the public registry and they actually have a private registry that you can only get with info on invitations?

I like her taste in colors, though.

• Love 2

Regarding so much stuff on the registry - I'm guessing Dill know the likelihood of the whole fam damily showing up and staying with them is high. They may want to have multiples of everything for just those moments.

It's also possible that having one set of items hasn't crossed Jill's mind. She's just used to having multiples of everything. Since she's raising a large amount of kids /sarcasm

• Love 1
(edited)

Is Dill being a little forward here?  Did Jerrick actually ASK her to come to Nepal?  Is it Sadie Hawkins' Day?  She certainly seems to have set her sights on him and isn't above chasing him down, even halfway around the world, to prompt a courtship.  Very self-promoting, that one.

Edited by all4mom
  • Love 1

I agree with much of what FLoridamom wrote, has much the same reaction. How on earth could you be sure of who a person truly is, how they act, etc, when you are NEVER alone with them before you are married. Its just not healthy to "court" that way. No one acts like themselves on Skype or with someone constantly watching. Reading emails and texts, no hugging, can't hold hand until you are engaged.

That is either half lies and exagerrations to attract attention or, if all this is true, is a very unhealthy way to "court" someone. Its one step away basically from an arranged marriage

This reminds me of Sven from "Frozen". "What if you hate the way he eats?"

• Love 1

Has this been addressed?  How Fundie is Derrick?  He seems less than Ben and Jim Boob, but are we talking Gothard?  Vision Forum?  Benny Hinn?  What?

• Love 1

Unfortunately I have found that most young people have no grammar or punctuation skills.

I'm constantly correcting my married daughter, and one on the young girls I work with has been sending out company represented letters with the colon before thr name in the salutation, and the date aft the address block. God forbid I correct her. "This is how we've always done it. Who really cares?"

It doesnt matter that you always do it that way - IT'S WRONG!

I really don't think they teach those in school anymore. So sad.

• Love 2

I'd hate to work for such a company.  I'd look around for something else fast because the lack of attention to detail and lack of concern about foolish errors would worry me that I'd be out of a job soon, sans a couple of weeks pay.

The wedding shower picture is astounding in its tackiness.  Whoever thought up the idea of the paper plates?  Hideous.  Colors are hideous, too.  Bad taste multiplied.

• Love 3

I am happy that even while engaged that Jill is continuing her midwifery training. She stated last night that she was the primary midwife on 30 births. That girl has a way of getting what she wants.

• Love 1

Is Dill being a little forward here?  Did Jerrick actually ASK her to come to Nepal?  Is it Sadie Hawkins' Day?  She certainly seems to have set her sights on him and isn't above chasing him down, even halfway around the world, to prompt a courtship.  Very self-promoting, that one.

Absolutely!  I've been noticing for a few years now how pushy and self-promoting Jill is.  You'd think she was the oldest child instead of the 4th(5th if you count the first miscarriage).  I had to laugh during the episode where Jana, Jill, Jessa and Jinger were recording their audiobook.  One of them said they had "elected" Jill to be the main narrator.  Like anything would have stopped her!

But, if you've read Pride and Prejudice, you'll remember that "the married sister gets to go first..." so I wonder if that explains Jill's urgency also?

Having said that, Jill and Derrick appear to be genuinely smitten with one another, and well-suited.  He definitely needs to keep some facial hair, though.  They also seem to be better candidates for marriage than Jessa and Ben.  In my opinion, neither of those two are ready to marry anyone at this time.

• Love 1

I saw a slowed-down version of the preview for next week and it says a lot about quite a few people. Before Jill succumbs to Derick's full-frontal hug, there is a moment of hesitation where she bends in from the waist, avoiding full-body contact. I'm sure everything she ever heard about defrauding and purity ran through her head at that moment, but she said FUCK IT and went for it! Go Jill!

At the same time, cameras are on Boob/Mullet/rest of family. Boob looks like he got kicked in the gut. Mullet can't even watch; she acts as if it's her own moral failing that her daughter is such a hussy. The voice over pretty much confirms this was her thinking at the time. Grandma looks over at Boob; of course, she can't say anything. This is his kid and he is the Headship of her as well.

Derick acted like a guy in love.

Very interesting, to say the least.

• Love 3

I can only hope that the other kids will see that and follow Jill's example. They'll learn that a regular hug doesn't lead to moral decline. I'm afraid though that Michelle and JB will only ratchet up the training. Jill was their "star." She was the one who followed the rules and didn't give them trouble. If she can't follow their silly courtship rules, then who can?

• Love 1

As long as there's a basic underlying compatibility (hello, Bessa!), arranged marriages work because the commitment is to the marriage or institution of marriage itself versus the particular person...  In other words, it's not based upon infatuation or passion, although that can also be a nice bonus, but rather on a determination to work out any differences and treat each other well.  Real love most often follows...

• Love 2

This reminds me of Sven from "Frozen". "What if you hate the way he eats?"

I've been married 25 years and.....eventually you WILL hate something about him. Probably several of the things that attracted you in the first place will annoy the fuck out of you after 20 years or so and I consider myself happily married, LOL.

• Love 11

Everyone keeps saying that Jill and Derick will have nothing to talk about due to her lack of education.  From what I can recall, she's traveled pretty extensively, regularly goes to NY (and they have the Today show airing in the background when getting ready, so they must have seen some news), does read some and they are both very interested in missionary work and helping others. She's not the total idiot people are making her out to be.

Like others, I hope Derick opens her views, but I also hope they have a killer wedding night.

• Love 3

I'm convinced they have been courting for a while on the down low. Their relationship has been made public because they are getting married. The events between them on the show is just staged.

And if they have decided to FU JB's courting rules, then all the better.

Just a shame that all their special moments have to be staged for the show.

Re their registary: it doesn't matter what's on there. I bet most will be returned for cash or credit.

• Love 1

I bet TLC buys some of the gifts for them. 

Do you think that Jill and Derrick's babies will be as well received as Smuggar and Anna's? What will they be labeled as? They're not GrandDuggars. I think even Smuggar and Anna's babies have gotten to be old news. Kenzie was the first, and that makes her special. Michael was the first grandson, so that makes him special. Marcus was just "GrandDuggar makes 3". Like they had no other way to make that special. I'm sure that Jills pregnancies will get VSE's. Will that set off jealously in Anna?

• Love 1

I am sure that Derick has at least kissed a girl. As for Jill, I think she is biding her time and can't wait to leave. I can see both of them hightailing it out of the country after an acceptable amount of time has passed and never come back. Jill seemed real eager to stay in Nepal.

• Love 2

I don't think Jill will get pregnant that soon after they marry. I expect at least a year before the big announcement (which is a "long time" in fundieland). She and Derrick have other things to do before they get saddled with a baker's dozen of kids.

• Love 1

I hope for both of their sakes, that Jill doesn't become pregnant for at least a year after marriage...maybe longer. it would be interesting to see how the Duggar parents react if at least one of their married children went a year or three without a pregnancy. Clearly going against the beliefs that all of them were taught that they must have a Quiver full of Arrows in order to serve God's will. What a bunch of crap. No wonder Jana is in no rush to get married. She needs a few years off from changing diapers. 

• Love 1

Read a blurb yesterday that Jana will be the Maid of Honor, they're getting married at the church (now mega) where Boob and Mullet married and had the vowel removal, AND they want a "soccer team" of kids.

Okey doke...

• Love 1

Read a blurb yesterday that Jana will be the Maid of Honor, they're getting married at the church (now mega) where Boob and Mullet married and had the vowel removal, AND they want a "soccer team" of kids.

Okey doke...

I'm sure it was a typo, but "vow removal" made me giggle.  I thought Jim Bob and Michelle got married and had the renewal at the Justice of the Peace.  I seem to remember, during the renewal, that they basically got married in the lobby or office area because there was some drama about a backdrop being needed to cover the receptionist desk.  I looked up the episode on TLC and it wasn't in a church.  I do suspect it's the same church they had Jubilee's funeral in.

• Love 1