Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)

Haha. The Duggars are plenty dishonest about many things, but the speculation that Izzy is many months old is just silly. My nephews were all huge at birth and at 1 month, wore size 6 months clothing and looked it. They're way too high profile to pull off a deception on that level.

Totally agreed. I've seen numerous newborns who never even got to wear "newborn" clothes and they barely got to wear 3 month sized clothes. I don't think there is any way Iz could be several months older than what they're saying. Someone would've leaked the news by now. He does look like such a large baby though! If they had somehow pulled off a vaginal birth I think he would've been pretty beat up afterwards.

(edited for typo fix)

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 6

If only people who attended college or graduated were able to be sports fans of that local college, that would be really disappointing, and would make it even LESS likely for future kids to attend colleges in poor states like AR and WV where even the idea of college isn't a given, but often actually discouraged.

That article said Derrick had palate expansion sugery too. Interesting.

"I'm sure it will be fun," Jill tells PEOPLE. "First, Israel will be dedicated at our church, which is just an outward statement where we say we want to raise our child to love God and the church supports us in that.

Just don't call it an infant baptism or a christening! Oh Jill, pretending like Cross Church is your real church. You miss the hell out of the holy steel hanger.

"I am so blessed to be a mother," she says. "There are a lot of ladies who would love to be and can't.

You got a blessing and they didn't. Surreal.

• Love 3

On the subject of nicknames, Isreal is now here, so I suggest using  Izzy, or Iz and other appropriate nicknames when talking about the him. RickJames is the nickname many of you use before the he was born, but this name should not be mention again since he came into the world last month. Also certain words like the "b" word should not be use as part of his nickname, and these type of words will be deleted from posts from now on. Any questions or concerns, please send a PM to me or one of the other mods. Thank you.

(edited)

Just don't call it an infant baptism or a christening!

Why would she when it's neither of those? Baby dedications are common in Christian churches in which people can be baptized when they are old enough to choose it for themselves.

Edited by Lukeysboat
  • Love 1

If only people who attended college or graduated were able to be sports fans of that local college, that would be really disappointing, and would make it even LESS likely for future kids to attend colleges in poor states like AR and WV where even the idea of college isn't a given, but often actually discouraged.

(edited)

Why would she when it's neither of those? Baby dedications are common in Christian churches in which people can be baptized when they are old enough to choose it for themselves.

It's kind of a watered down version of the same thing. I don't wanna make it a religious discussion or take it to the religion thread  - forget I said anything.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 1

Yes, I get that you don't actually have to have attended, say Notre Dame to be a fan of the team. But at least there is a possibility that your kids might go there or you had friends that went there. With the Duggars, those kids are NEVER going to attend U of A. What are those kids thinking while they are walking on campus & seeing kids their age with a totally different lifestyle?

• Love 6

Yes, I get that you don't actually have to have attended, say Notre Dame to be a fan of the team. But at least there is a possibility that your kids might go there or you had friends that went there. With the Duggars, those kids are NEVER going to attend U of A. What are those kids thinking while they are walking on campus & seeing kids their age with a totally different lifestyle?

I suspect they're thinking that they are surrounded by sinners and must keep to themselves in order to avoid temptation. 

As for whether Iz will go to college, something will have to change in the Dillard lifestyle in the next 18 years. We only see their current trajectory and a few potential branches. Under those circumstances, no, he won't go to U of A. But 18 years is a long time. I think we can safely assume that this show will not be on TV in 18 years, and it's unlikely there will be any spin-offs airing at that point, either. This means that the overall Duggar family income scenario will have to have changed.

Derrick has an education and a real job, so he and Jill are in a better position than most of the 19 Kids to support their own family. Derrick also has some real-world experience, even though he may be playing along with the Duggars at this point. So if they stay married (divorce happens across the religious spectrum regardless of what the beliefs are), they'll have more flexibility than many of Jill's siblings and their families. Iz could end up in college, then.

But it's 18 years away, and that's a long time.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't see the Gothard cult surviving when the man dies. Once that happens the cult members will be free to do as they please. Jill's generation of non-educated cult followers are now old enough to be out in the real world. They are experiencing first hand how their lack of a real education won't get them anywhere. IDK I'm sure they have to wake up someday as to how funked up Gothard's teachings were/are.

With that being said I think RickJames will be educated as Derick's wishes. Grandma Cathy isn't going to let him escape not being educated. She knows better has lived a good life as an educated woman with a real job and worldly experiences!

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 5

I'm 45 and was dedicated. It's hardly a new practice.

And I think Jill and Derick are part of Cross Church more than we think. It was Derick's church, and likely sponsored him for his mission, at least in part. Let's face it - very few people today are be in the same pew, same time every week, type Christians. It's quite possible to be part of both churches.

• Love 3

I don't think we can assume that Cathy will have a lot of influence on how the Dillards choose to raise and educate Israel. Without going off topic about my relationship with my in-laws (suffice it to say- we get along but I don't overly like them), I will say flat out that their thoughts and opinions in no way influence how I choose to raise my children. They are involved in their lives, but they have no vote about how my husband and I raise them, whether they agree with us or not.

Maybe Cathy does have that influence, I don't know, but she couldn't possibly have thought that Jill was well educated and she seems a-ok with her being married to her son. I can't imagine that the topic of Jill home schooling her children has never come up either. I hope Israel can go to college if that's what he wants, but if he's going to be home schooled by the Duggar method it seems unlikely.

I don't see the Gothard cult surviving when the man dies. Once that happens the cult members will be free to do as they please. Jill's generation of non-educated cult followers are now old enough to be out in the real world. They are experiencing first hand how their lack of a real education won't get them anywhere. IDK I'm sure they have to wake up someday as to how funked up Gothard's teachings were/are.

$cientology didn't become massive until after L. Ron Hubbard's death. Sadly, cults seem to gather followers after the leader dies and becomes a semi-mythical figure.
  • Love 2

There's no funky junk going on with Izzy's birthdate v/s his size, IMO. He's just a big kid. My first child weighed almost what Iz did at birth and was 12 lbs at his 6'wk checkup. And was wearing 3 mo clothes straight out of the chute. I don't think it's much indication that he will always be big, though. My son is 6 ft now, and not "big". If hands are any indication, however, Iz is going to be a beast!

About labeling people "miss" or "mr" something, it is a way of life in the south. It's a sign of of respect. I've always done it, my children do it as well. If Jill had to write cathy's name down, she would likely write "Mrs. Cathy". But we say "miss" in conversation. My sons' friends, some of whom I've known since birth, always refer to me with "Miss Happyfatchick". True story.

• Love 9

I don't think we can assume that Cathy will have a lot of influence on how the Dillards choose to raise and educate Israel. Without going off topic about my relationship with my in-laws (suffice it to say- we get along but I don't overly like them), I will say flat out that their thoughts and opinions in no way influence how I choose to raise my children. They are involved in their lives, but they have no vote about how my husband and I raise them, whether they agree with us or not.

This varies a lot by culture and by family. Obviously, the Duggars have an over-sized influence in the lives of their grown children, but Cathy will have a strong influence, too.

She doesn't have to say one word about their parenting choices, either. She has an influence because she raised Derick and had an influence on his choices -- including his choice to go to college. She will have an influence simply by being there. Izzy has a grandmother who went to college, who had a career, and who dresses like a modern woman. She also raised Dan, who is Izzy's college educated uncle.

She may not sit at the dining room table with Derick and Jill and decide whether or not Izzy will be homeschooled, but Grandma Cathy's house with its television, books, and internet access is going to be a window to the outside world -- something that the Duggars have been able to control in their own household.

• Love 9

Id much rather see kids in Collegiate wear from any college/university than some political or ideological slogan. At least if they wear an Arkansas razorback shirt, the seed is planted that there IS a university out there.

• Love 7

What's sad is that all of those kids are wearing Benham gear with no real clue what the deal is. Miss Muffy herself wore a Benham shirt during that year long pregnancy. To Derick's credit, I've never seen him in anything other than regular clothes or gear representing OSU or AR. So, yay?

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm just relieved she stopped wearing that Star of David in favor of the heart necklace Derick gave her. You know, the one with the, ahem, "emeralds." I wore my own Jewish Star today and I was thinking about her. Which pretty much horrifies me, and I only hope I'll lose that association soon.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 5

Derick so needs to do something with his hair. In that baby dedication pic he's a ringer for Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber. In his college photos shown on the most recent episode, he looked good with longer hair. Now, not so much.

• Love 12
(edited)

I agree Derick looked terrible, but I thought Jill looked really nice here.  It looked like she had (gasp) brushed and even styled her hair, her outfit looked nice, and looked like she had a huge smile on her face.  Iz looked sleepy and unimpressed, as he should at his age... cute though.

(edited for typo fix)

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 3
(edited)

Famy's picture from the dedication ceremony. Couldn't Derick take the time to tuck in his shirt? They look practically homeless here. 

https://instagram.com/p/2hwfAqNkMK/?taken-by=amyduggar

Sew Sumi - I'm normally very forgiving of clothing choices, especially in the hot, humid South, but I'm 100% with you on this one ! To me, raised by older parents who wore hats and gloves to just about everything, wearing an untucked shirt at a religious ceremony, regardless of the faith or denomination, is just disrespectful. I've been to temples, churches, mosques, and always wore whatever was appropriate for the situation. Covered head, closed-toed shoes, long skirt, whatever - I wasn't there to be "myself" - I was there to pay homage and respect to whatever rite of passage was happening. 

It's doubly disturbing that it's the FATHER of the baby wearing what my dad would wear to change the oil in the car. All that's missing is a rolled-up pack of cigarrettes in his Danny Zuko sleeve !  Even "business casual" is fine, but for the love of Pete, TUCK YOUR SHIRT IN !!!  It's not like YOU just had a C-Section and are sore or sporting recent stitches or staples. I'll give Jill a pass on absolutely whatever she needs to wear to make herself comfortable or pain-free, so more power to her after giving birth to a Volkswagen ! Iz is one big baboo, dontcha know...

It's very weird that the Duggar boys are more "professional" looking with their tucked-in double shirts and khakis when they go swimming than Derick is at his own son's welcoming ceremony. Not that I agree with the bizarro-world way of Duggar dressing, like JB running in jeans, for the love of Jove, but sometimes they do get it right. Even with the squicky matchy-matchy they at least look presentable. 

My own dear boyfriend, bless his heart, who never, ever, wears anything but cargo shorts and a t-shirt, put on a suit and tie for a recent funeral for one of my family members. It wasn't the collapse of his soul nor corrupting his uniqueness. It was just respect. 

I'm just...befuddled here. Derick is usually more on his game. Maybe he wore himself out singing too many hymns while his wife was having a baby the size of a laundry basket. I'll give him credit, though, for not wearing his Pistol Pete gear ! Gotta take it where you can get it...

Edited by SomePity1066
  • Love 11
(edited)

Eh, I think it depends on the culture of the church. Nowadays, megachurches in particular seem to be quite casual, dress-wise. I love to snark but I'm giving Derick a pass on this one. If a full suit was the norm for baby dedications, I very much doubt he would have worn what he did. I think calling it disrespectful is a real stretch, considering he probably was dressed similarly to everyone else there. I know the pastor is wearing a jacket but that doesn't mean most of the congregation was.

Edited by becca3891
  • Love 6

With that being said I think RickJames will be educated as Derick's wishes. Grandma Cathy isn't going to let him escape not being educated. She knows better has lived a good life as an educated woman with a real job and worldly experiences!

Well someone else can take over. Isn't David Waller taking over? And gothard is hiding out isn't he? Jill doesn't realize she's lucky. Derrick has a real job and they all can live comfortably. I hope in 18 years 2033 Israel Duggar Dillard will be off to college or getting a real education

Jill probably has an eighth grade education at best. If she's doing the homefoolin, college is a moot point.

Nah she probably didn't get that far. 8th grade us what pre algebra, English, geography, science. I'll say 5 maybe 6th grade. Since the bible is all they need to know

This varies a lot by culture and by family. Obviously, the Duggars have an over-sized influence in the lives of their grown children, but Cathy will have a strong influence, too.

She doesn't have to say one word about their parenting choices, either. She has an influence because she raised Derick and had an influence on his choices -- including his choice to go to college. She will have an influence simply by being there. Izzy has a grandmother who went to college, who had a career, and who dresses like a modern woman. She also raised Dan, who is Izzy's college educated uncle.

She may not sit at the dining room table with Derick and Jill and decide whether or not Izzy will be homeschooled, but Grandma Cathy's house with its television, books, and internet access is going to be a window to the outside world -- something that the Duggars have been able to control in their own household.

Jill had cousin Amy and grandma and grand pa who are non fundie but she's still drunk the Kool aid. Cathy might have an influence but if Derrick goes full fundie there's nothing she can do
  • Love 1

Eh, I think it depends on the culture of the church. Nowadays, megachurches in particular seem to be quite casual, dress-wise. I love to snark but I'm giving Derick a pass on this one. If a full suit was the norm for baby dedications, I very much doubt he would have worn what he did. I think calling it disrespectful is a real stretch, considering he probably was dressed similarly to everyone else there. I know the pastor is wearing a jacket but that doesn't mean most of the congregation was.

I agree. Even in our own mid-sized mainline church young men -- even those who are highly professional (doctors, attorneys) may dress just that way for Sunday worship. They do tend to dress up a bit more when their babies are being baptized (we have infant baptism) mostly because -- I'm guessing -- their grandmas have come. 

• Love 1

I feel like we are in a different era when it comes to church attire. I've noticed people take 'come as you are' to heart and extend it to attire. I personally was raised to believe you wear your best clothes (a perfectly ironed suit or dress, polished dress shoes, etc.) to church. People get more dressed up for a party nowadays than they do church, but that's a different point for another place.

Anyways, Derick should have his shirt tucked in. I don't like seeing grown men with their dress shirts out like that...to me, it looks very sloppy.

• Love 5

The Dillards just tend to have that rolled out of bed over all sloppy look

Derrick should have tucked in his shirt

Jill looked nice and put together but I really wish some one would give her some modest fashion advice.

• Love 4
(edited)

The Dillards just tend to have that rolled out of bed over all sloppy look

Derrick should have tucked in his shirt

Jill looked nice and put together but I really wish some one would give her some modest fashion advice.

Like Alyssa Webster? She and her little family went to church well dressed. Alyssa had a simple black dress on and her husband had a suit.

Jill doesn't need to project the imagine that they just rolled out of bed. Jill no longer has little people to take care of she sure has a lot more time to herself to put together a nice outfit. I think she just doesn't care enough.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 5

Like Alyssa Webster? She and her little family went to church well dressed. Alyssa had a simple black dress on and her husband had a suit.

Jill doesn't need to project the imagine that they just rolled out of bed. Jill no longer has little people to take care of she sure has a lot more time to herself to put together a nice outfit. I think she just doesn't care enough.

Yes! Alyssa dresses sooo nicely. While I think now she is not modest enough for Jill ( cause DUH how would everyone know you love Jesus if your elbows are showing) but she always looks amazing and dresses phenomenally. She should give me fashion advise too while she is at it, lol. I try not to follow fundies on IG but I follow Alyssa cause I am jealous of her hair and cute baby, lol.

• Love 2
Grandma Cathy's house with its television, books, and internet access is going to be a window to the outside world

Agreed, but I'm wondering if Jill and Derick will either limit their kids' time there or place restrictions on what Cathy can and can't expose them to. I'd hate to see her turn into a version of Famy -- paraphrasing here: "She's family and we love her, but her morals/values/ethics are different from ours, so we have to closely monitor our kids' exposure to her." I doubt this would be Derick's intent, but given that he's morphing into a Duggar, he may really allow himself to be convinced that Cathy's influence isn't optimal for Iz or his future siblings.

• Love 2

They both looked happy.  

Yeah, a shirt tuck in would've been a bit better. 

First of all, you're the baby's father so it IS a special day.

Secondly, your family is famous so pictures will appear on social media. 

Jill looks nice. 

$cientology didn't become massive until after L. Ron Hubbard's death. Sadly, cults seem to gather followers after the leader dies and becomes a semi-mythical figure.

Or, and maybe more likely, someone else figures out how he/she can make big $$$ with it.

I'm just relieved she stopped wearing that Star of David in favor of the heart necklace Derick gave her. You know, the one with the, ahem, "emeralds." I wore my own Jewish Star today and I was thinking about her. Which pretty much horrifies me, and I only hope I'll lose that association soon.

JenCarroll - is there a difference between a Star of David and a Jewish Star? Just asking - I'm not familiar with the Jewish star. Thanks! 

• Love 1

Derick so needs to do something with his hair. In that baby dedication pic he's a ringer for Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber. In his college photos shown on the most recent episode, he looked good with longer hair. Now, not so much.

Yes, Derick definitely has the Frankenstein look going on. Or the not-too-talented amateur look - bet Jill cuts his hair now. Which makes me wonder why Gothard men don't have long hair, like Jesus did?

• Love 2

Derek is hideously unattractive. Hair, beard, face, everything. I don't think Jill looks good at all in those pics posted above. Why are her clothes so huge? A big billowy flowing skirt paired with an equally tent-like top? She looks ridiculous. Are clothes that actually fit not modest? They are both gross.

• Love 6

Agreed. Churches try to attract more young people and are going with more of a "come as you are" approach. My mom used to have a near heart attack when I'd leave for church in jeans but that's really how younger people in congregations are dressing these days. I think it has a lot to do with "God doesn't care what I'm wearing, He knows my heart and He has seen me at my worst." Could Derick have tucked his shirt in? Absolutely. Do I think he's disrespectful because he didn't? Absolutely not. It's just the nature of the church culture these days. I'm glad they've found a place outside of Jim Bob's church where they feel comfortable.

• Love 5

According to someone commenting on that Instagram post, Josie recently had a "see sure." LMAO.

Id much rather see kids in Collegiate wear from any college/university than some political or ideological slogan. At least if they wear an Arkansas razorback shirt, the seed is planted that there IS a university out there.

Only problem is they will have no idea how to spell it or what it actually is.    My guess is they will think that a university is another kind of jurisdiction.  Jessa didn't even know what a tulip was. See sure, prea-clump-sia?    Lard hive marcy !

• Love 5

I really have no problem with Derick's actual clothing, aside from the fact that he needed to tuck in his damn shirt! Leaving his shirttails out makes him look slovenly.

I also wanted to note that no one noticed he was clean-shaven! He had some oral surgery on Friday (the reason they weren't in TX with the rest of the family, according to Boob at the event). I wonder if he had to shave for that, because I don't see Muffy being very happy about this; she likes the homeless scruffy look. 

As for Jilly, I don't like the outfit. Too baggy. Keep the shirt OR the skirt. Not both. Or cut off about a foot off the bottom of that short dress/"tunic." Duggar girls don't tuck in their shirts, so yeah, it needs to be a LOT shorter, and could still be loose and comfortable. She took the time to curl her hair and do her makeup. Why can't she see how horrible she looks from the neck on down???

• Love 5

As for Jilly, I don't like the outfit. Too baggy. Keep the shirt OR the skirt. Not both. Or cut off about a foot off the bottom of that short dress/"tunic." Duggar girls don't tuck in their shirts, so yeah, it needs to be a LOT shorter, and could still be loose and comfortable. She took the time to curl her hair and do her makeup. Why can't she see how horrible she looks from the neck on down???

Came down to comment exactly that. Other than that though, she did look nice.

• Love 1