Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I'll just disagree with everyone that thinks that's a safe way to haul Iz around. I'm surprised Michelle hasn't gotten Jill a breast friend yet.

They're all so good at talking a lot but saying nothing.

Right? I kept waiting for her to throw out names. Maybe she couldn't - whoever she chose would be viewed through the family's internal politics.

Edited by JoanArc

From FJ.

Jill's perfect role models for Izzy.

http://www.people.co...0918011,00.html

"All those little negative things they are still being trained out of" WTF?? I find the way they speak of their children as badly behaved dogs to be utterly chilling and creepy. Especially knowing where the expression "To Train Up A Child" comes from, and that the Duggars used to promote that evil book on their website. The fact that Jill is using that phrase even today truly makes me fear for baby Iz. I hope Derrick has the balls to stand up against any suggestion of his son being blanket trained and that he can see through the utter absurdity and danger of demanding "instant obedience" at all times from his children.

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 6

A lot can change in 18 years.

First of all, the show will certainly end loooong before that, and JB will have far less control over them than he does now (assuming that Derick doesn't quit WalMart and go to work cleaning toilets for JB).

I also think that there are going to be issues with the Howlers and the Lost Girls that are going to become evident in the next 5-10 years. I don't mean to demean the efforts of the sister-moms, but all of the younger children have been neglected (in my opinion), and I think that some (or most) of them will have issues as they mature, They were also not "trained" as rigorously as the older children, and JB and J'chelle may have a harder time keeping them in line.

I think that both Jill and Derick look at her family today, and see it as a warm, loving Christian family -- in 5-10 years it may look very different. They may well re-evaluate their choices once the TLC paychecks stop coming in and they have a house full of kids and a modest paycheck -- especially if they see a half dozen of the younger  Duggars unhappy and struggling.

• Love 3

I love slings. Hardcore, impassioned love. I used various types of slings from birth until my kiddos were older than 2 (by then it was a supported hip carry.) I found they kept people from touching my babies & actually kept the babies calmer. I rarely used a stroller because the slings were honestly easier for me. So for all the crazy things the Duggars do, I can't fault them for using slings.

• Love 2

I think Jill is feeling the pressure to keep her family front and center, especially now that Jessa is preggers and Josiah is in a courtship. With these people it's all about babies, not children, and especially first babies. The novelty wears off fast.

• Love 2

I love slings. Hardcore, impassioned love. I used various types of slings from birth until my kiddos were older than 2 (by then it was a supported hip carry.) I found they kept people from touching my babies & actually kept the babies calmer. I rarely used a stroller because the slings were honestly easier for me. So for all the crazy things the Duggars do, I can't fault them for using slings.

I don't think anyone is "faulting" Jill for using the sling. She is being faulted for her MISUSE of said sling. 

• Love 12

I think Jill is feeling the pressure to keep her family front and center, especially now that Jessa is preggers and Josiah is in a courtship. With these people it's all about babies, not children, and especially first babies. The novelty wears off fast.

I don't know if Jill is feeling pressure, but it was only a matter of time that the spotlight would be dimming because courtships, marriages, pregnancies, and first-borns will be colliding at a good pace now that the kids are growing up and starting their own families.

The new baby does look big!  One of my sister's sons weighed 11 pounds and was 23 inches long when he was born.  He never did get to wear newborn clothes - went straight to the size for three months.

Wow.  That is the ring sling equivalent of plopping your kid in a carseat and not bothering to buckle the straps.  She's positioning him similarly to how those "SlingRider" baby bags worked (the ones that got recalled for being a suffocation hazard).  Where's a Nine In, Nine Out brochure when you need one?

• Love 1

When I saw the pic I immediately thought he looked like Justin, and lo and behold, it seems someone made the same comment on Instagram. 

LOL, I don't know if it's my age, or what..? As soon as I saw Iz's picture, it just made me realize I am ready for some grand babies of my own. I would be all over my daughter, offering advice and assistance. It made me think about poor Jill, who has spent the majority of her life looking after Michelle's babies, and here she is, alone with Iz and a tender abdomen... yet where is Grandma Michelle? Why isn't she offering a couple of week's worth of assistance so that Jill is not on her own? I tell you, Jim Bob and Michelle are very self-centred. Even that tv advertisement clip that showed Janna panicking over Josie's seizure - where were JB and Michelle? Michelle was so calm and matter-of-fact (in the ad) when she mentions getting the phone call regarding Josie's seizure. I think there's a lack of maternal bond between Michelle and her kin because she's never looked after a child on her own.

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 8

Jim Bob and Michelle don't seem to respect the fact that Josh, Jill, and Jessa have their OWN families now.  They can't let go.

Excellent point - it seems like it's still about JB and Michelle despite these kids having their own lives. I keep thinking of the Duggar girls, giving up any semblance of a normal life, to raise Mama's babies. Here they are, grown with families of their own, but everything is still about JB and Michelle.

Jill would be devastated if she had to have C-Sections from now on.

Maybe this rough time during delivery will slow Jill and Derrick down, so that they don't feel the need to out-perform Michelle's birthing track-record. It would be so nice if one of the Duggar unions didn't give birth like rabbits.

• Love 2

So what do you all think is the reason for the endless fascination? Do you think people are looking for the anti-Kardashian (wholesome, sweet) alternative to follow? 

Thank you for expressing my thought. Why, indeed? Normally, the general public does not want to hear about the Duggars, and they certainly wouldn't have gotten column space in People magazine. What on earth is happening? It's like we are in Bizarro world.

• Love 3

I call bullshit. No way they would let her go that long after her water had already broken. 

I am pretty sure Jill and Derrick started timing from the moment she had any mild cramping. When you add time for this form of labour, you could easily have 24 hours before the real labour starts up.

• Love 4

I've already lost interest in little RickJamesBitch. Yawn too much coverage has killed my interest.

I am the opposite - I am really interested in seeing little Izzy. This will be the only time we can see and enjoy him before he becomes  'Duggarized'. I remember thinking Josh's little girl was adorable, and then she began developing that Duggar personality. So Stepford wife/ servitude - like. It's quite sad when the darlings lose their innocence and cross over to the 'dark side'. (Jkg, of course)

• Love 1

Jill made the comment about taking the exam in either an instagram post or a recent People interview.  She did say or imply that she wouldn't be an active, practicing midwife. 

This brought to mind a quick question for everyone. Do the Duggars have high school diplomas? I have never heard anything mentioned about the kids graduating, and I rarely see them studying anymore (if they ever did at all).

"IIRC, Jill asked for over 40 sets of towels."

This is a tad off topic too, but I have to ask. Does the Duggar clan actually expect wedding gifts? I always thought they just wanted witnesses to their celebration. That's why the ceremony was simple, and why they didn't feed their guests, or entertain them. I've always purchased wedding gifts (or give gifts of money) for the couple to help offset wedding costs. I would only look at the registry if I were attending the bridal shower. Also, the dollar amount I would spend, I based upon the estimated cost of the meal/ ceremony to feed my partner and myself. No wonder they invite 900 people.

• Love 1

Thank you for expressing my thought. Why, indeed? Normally, the general public does not want to hear about the Duggars, and they certainly wouldn't have gotten column space in People magazine. What on earth is happening? It's like we are in Bizarro world.

As People Magazine is still in business, I think it's safe to say that the general public does actually want to hear about them. Why? Well, some maybe see them as refreshingly wholesome, while the rest of us are morbidly drawn to train wrecks. :-)

As far as why People is pushing them so hard -- my uninformed guess is that they're being set up for a fall. People either knows or suspects something, or they're just playing the odds that with this many people, someone will eventually screw up. They're waiting for a scandal, or something they can puff up into a scandal, and then they'll sell just as many magazines again, with articles like, "How Did it Happen?" and "Duggars: Betrayers or Betrayed?" and "Inside the Duggar Compound: The Untold Story..." Again, just my personal theory.

ETA: Alternatively, or maybe additionally, they probably don't want to commit to anything much as they're waiting for the royal baby to be born. The Duggars are place-holders.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 9

A ten pound, over full term baby is almost certainly safe in a sling. They are extremely popular in Europe where almost every mother uses one and do you hear about massive infant death in Europe? No, you don't.

Sometimes litigation in the U.S. goes overboard because we live in a society with one attorney for every 300 people.

Jill is doing fine, carrying him is a sling.

You're supposed to see the child's head though. The problem isn't with the sling, it's the fact that she's doing it wrong.

• Love 6

You're supposed to see the child's head though. The problem isn't with the sling, it's the fact that she's doing it wrong.

Exactly! Potentially smothering your child has no relationship to how many lawyers there are per capita. Some things are just unsafe.

On another note, can we expect Jill and Derrick to go to Nepal and help with quake relief? I hope they do something to at least raise money for the victims.

• Love 7

I know we have no information on the topic and it isn't fair to speculate on postpartum depression - however (and I guess I just negated everything before the however) I am intimately acquainted with a young mother who had it with her first child. Whenever she did hold the child it was always below the waist and if possible facing away from her. She is nice to that child now but what a difference with the second child. This young mother had a lot of experience with babies and small children and carried all of them appropriately. Bryce Dallas Howard and Brooke Shields have said that the farther they got from their newborns the better they felt. Or maybe Jill just doesn't know how to wear a sling.

Or maybe Jill just doesn't know how to wear a sling

I think she just doesn't know how to wear a sling.  She doesn't seem to know how to wear ANYTHING properly.  Not even a wedding dress--or shoes!

Edited by zenme
  • Love 5

Do you think the head might be out and visible at Jill's left side and we just can't see it?  It doesn't look right in that pic!

• Love 1

This is a tad off topic too, but I have to ask. Does the Duggar clan actually expect wedding gifts?

YES. All other information on their wedding website was locked down except for registry information. Benessa's registry information was printed on their "save the date" card as well. The estimated value of the Dillards' registries: $20K. Benessa's registries were estimated at $30,000. (Asking for a Mac Air, an iPad and a kayak will cause that dollar value to soar.)

If they weren't expecting gifts from viewers and 1700/1300 wedding guests, why allow the registries to be public?

• Love 8

Do Jill and Derick watch TV? Even if they don't, is she going to understand that he may want to spend today glued to CNN to see what his former home looks like and that he may be wondering how to get in contact/news re local friends he may have had there? Or is it going to be like -- it was God's will, honey, today at the convention my 30 siblings are playing their screetchy violins, we can't be late -- turn off the TV and let's go.

• Love 3

Iz montage from Blessa. I really think she's trying to convince herself that she can do this mothering thing by hanging around Muffy's spawn. She has posted more pics of the kid than his parents! 

https://instagram.com/p/16EcvJDfsP/?taken-by=jessaseewald

edit 2 to add this pic Jessa just posted: https://instagram.com/p/16KDEHDfp-/?taken-by=jessaseewald

eta Derick's tweet re: the earthquake in Nepal. He's getting lambasted in the comments for basically handing people in need a bible rather than food, water, and shelter. A 7.9 50 miles from Khatmandhu probably leveled most of it. I told him to spearhead a Red Cross effort in his area. If he can't lead, at least do *something.* Don't just sit there and pray. 

https://twitter.com/derick4Him/status/591993873552920577

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 12

Iz montage from Blessa. I really think she's trying to convince herself that she can do this mothering thing by hanging around Muffy's spawn. She has posted more pics of the kid than his parents! 

https://instagram.com/p/16EcvJDfsP/?taken-by=jessaseewald

eta Derick's tweet re: the earthquake in Nepal. He's getting lambasted in the comments for basically handling people in need a bible rather than food, water, and shelter. A 7.9 50 miles from Khatmandhu probably leveled most of it. I told him to spearhead a Red Cross effort in his area. If he can't lead, at least do *something.* Don't just sit there and pray. 

https://twitter.com/derick4Him/status/591993873552920577

I actually think Jessa and Ben are more prepared to be parents than Jill and Derrick. None of them are or will be BAD parents, but Ben has a lot of real, hands on experience with children, and Derrick didn't. Jill's head is in the Kool-aid cloud, but Jessa is a realist. She sure seemed to resent being forced to do all of Michelle's parenting, which I don't blame her, but when given the choice to do as she pleases with her own family, especially since she's getting a lot of attention right now, she may actually enjoy mothering her own children. She may also be attached to Jill's baby, already, bc she has a choice in deciding how much to dote on him.

From one pic, I can't judge if Jill is wearing the baby properly or not. I do know that she has the making of being 10x worse than Michelle in regards to always having a human strapped to her in some way (well until it's time to pass it to a buddy and commence getting all the attention from being pregnant and/or nursing again). I'm counting the days until we see her 'modestly' nursing the kid on the Today Show with a big circus tent cover and flashing lights saying "I'M NURSING"

• Love 3

I think those slings are so simple, yet so genius at the same time. Wish I'd thought of that 36 years ago when I was lugging around my first newborn who's weight was close to Izzy's. They are getting far more popular in the US now, I'm seeing them more and more frequently. I know I'm antique, but I like that it brings the baby right back to the mother in a way he can almost hear her heartbeat. He can hear her voice (albeit muffled) just like he could the months before birth. Plus it allows her to caress him and almost "hug" him every moment. That's a lot of weight to be lugging around any other way, and I think its a great idea. Babies are sort of "rubbery" anyway this soon after birth and they wad all up on their own. He's fine in that thing. Anyway, in another month or so, he'll be big enough to reach out and smack her and say "Hey! Get me OUTTA here!" if he's uncomfortable.

And I'm trying to think how Jill could win with us as the judge panel. If Derrick had been wearing the sling, we'd have said Derrick seems much more attached to Iz than Jill. If someone else was holding him, and he'd not been in the pic at all, we'd have said Jill was just like Mama Duggar, foisting that kid off and not dealing with him at all. :) As it is, she has secure possession of Iz and we're all griping about the way she's doing it. I'm cutting her some slack for this one.

On a side note: I looked at the up-close instagram pics and in a comment, someone said, "Is is a cute baby" and I I at first first thought it was a typo typo. I get it now.

• Love 8

And I'm trying to think how Jill could win with us as the judge panel. If Derrick had been wearing the sling, we'd have said Derrick seems much more attached to Iz than Jill. If someone else was holding him, and he'd not been in the pic at all, we'd have said Jill was just like Mama Duggar, foisting that kid off and not dealing with him at all. :) As it is, she has secure possession of Iz and we're all griping about the way she's doing it. I'm cutting her some slack for this one.

Here you go. Look at the horrible neglect! ;)

HcuE6hA.jpg

• Love 2

This brought to mind a quick question for everyone. Do the Duggars have high school diplomas? I have never heard anything mentioned about the kids graduating, and I rarely see them studying anymore (if they ever did at all).

They have mommy made diplomas. But I've heard the older ones got geds

• Love 1

I was always too paranoid to use a sling. I always imagine the knot coming loose & the baby tumbling to the ground. I had twins anyway & don't know how I would have had 2 in slings at once.

In my sling inexperience, it does look like he's too low.

That is one big baby! He looks like a 3 mo old.

Here you go. Look at the horrible neglect! ;)

HcuE6hA.jpg

I truly think because Derick has never had any experience with babies that Jill is letting him hold him as much as he wants. Not only will that create a better bond between the two but Derick will be going (hopefully) back to work soon so he won't be able to do that. Jill has held enough babies for a lifetime. I don't see it as she is becoming MEchelle 2.0.

Regarding the diplomas, Jessa is the only sibling who has an actual HS Diploma issued by the State. The other older kids have GED's and I wouldn't be surprised if the middle group has certificates made up and printed off the computer. The homefoolin has really gone off the rails.

• Love 4

Does anyone know what Derick actually did in Nepal?  I don't believe we know how he spent his time.  Was he the type of missionary who tries to do temporal good, or the type who only talks about God in his way of belief?  I don't recall ever hearing what his life was like.  Shrader (Anna Duggar's brother-in-law in Burundi or Zambia or someplace)  does the God only thing.  God recently gave Shrader a plane and Anna's sister a refrigerator, in that order, so that shows you what God does.  He's made 3 converts in a year and a half.  He isn't qualified to help them medically, and he helps them in no way that I know of.  Was Derick like that, or like what I usually think of which is with housing, agricultural and husbandry tips (the animal kind), health prevention, safe water, etc?  When the Duggars go to Central America I remember them painting nails and walking a ways to look at a primitive house, but do absolutely nothing about it.  Just look.

• Love 2