Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I would be yelling "watch out for the cat!!! Don't hit the cat!!! What's wrong with you to sled into a cat???"

Yes, that's what a normal person would have said. Along with checking on the cat afterwards to make sure it was okay. That's what normal people do when they think they accidently hit a cat or any animal.

• Love 7
The intent is just as important as the outcome. People are jailed for attempted murder (not Derrick was that bad), etc all the time.

Better example: Do you go through intersections with pedestrians because 'they'll get out of the way'?

No.  But I'm much more likely to cause death or dismemberment running someone over with my car than I am simply crashing into a moving feline while riding a highly dangerous cookie sheet down a hill.  How much damage could you even do to a cat just by . . . . bumping him?

Listen, I'm not saying I'd do it or that it's something I condone.  Just asking for a little perspective.  But, that's just me.  Feel free to resume your hating.

• Love 6

I'd like to think this will bring down the Duggars, but ugh. They have staying power, and I'm sure their PR staff is sweating out the details of their non-apologies. Jillymuffin will induce labor to try and take the heat off and everyone (not us) will be ooohing and aaahhing and sending more gifts. Do they even have to declare taxes on that??

• Love 1

Derrick posted twice on instagram after the cat fiasco. One he was holding a newborn (don't k ow who the family is) and the other was about him celebrating his one year at walmart. The comments are something else.

"Oh that's a cute baby Derrick... would you hit it with a sled!!!!"

"Yeah Walmart values people, but what about innocent animals!!!"

• Love 6

It's hard for me to be upset about Jill having a shower at Derrick's place of work and then one at what was essentially her place of work. Especially for a first baby. No one is compelled to attend a shower, but I've been given quite a few myself, and I think all babies should be welcomed, even those who have mothers who turn them into gift grabs (which far too many people do, but that isn't the baby's fault.)

• Love 4

Derrick posted twice on instagram after the cat fiasco. One he was holding a newborn (don't k ow who the family is) and the other was about him celebrating his one year at walmart. The comments are something else.

"Oh that's a cute baby Derrick... would you hit it with a sled!!!!"

"Yeah Walmart values people, but what about innocent animals!!!"

Derrick is catching hell in the media for the cat incident. People are boycotting the show because of it.
  • Love 5

No.  But I'm much more likely to cause death or dismemberment running someone over with my car than I am simply crashing into a moving feline while riding a highly dangerous cookie sheet down a hill.  How much damage could you even do to a cat just by . . . . bumping him?

Listen, I'm not saying I'd do it or that it's something I condone.  Just asking for a little perspective.  But, that's just me.  Feel free to resume your hating.

Not hating, Rhondinella, I think animal lovers, myself included, saw it more like they were aiming for the cat. Why would a reasonable person do that if not to be mean-spirited toward an unassuming animal? I don't get it.

To be honest, I go back and forth with this family. Their interpretation of Christianity bothers me, however there are aspects of them I enjoy and even defend. I'm not a hater, I'm a self-admitted snarker, and more often than not I try to be objective and give them the benefit of the doubt. Seeing this video with Derick and Ben was disturbing. I'd have been as equally disturbed had it been Betty White or the Dalai Lama.

• Love 6

It's hard for me to be upset about Jill having a shower at Derrick's place of work and then one at what was essentially her place of work. Especially for a first baby. No one is compelled to attend a shower, but I've been given quite a few myself, and I think all babies should be welcomed, even those who have mothers who turn them into gift grabs (which far too many people do, but that isn't the baby's fault.)

I agree there. I was so uncomfortable when I ended up having essentially 2 bridal showers - one from my matron of honor that was mostly family, and one from a group that was mostly my husband's friends. Then there was even a small thing at work. But when someone wants to throw you a shower, what do you say?  No thanks? I thought her registry (particularly bridal registry) was pretty greedy, but I can't really fault her for the multiple showers.

Now Derick abusing an animal and a bunch of other family members laughing about it?  I have no problem being VERY VERY upset with them for that.

Not hating, Rhondinella, I think animal lovers, myself included, saw it more like they were aiming for the cat. Why would a reasonable person do that if not to be mean-spirited toward an unassuming animal? I don't get it.

I'm an animal lover too and I agree. Even if they were completely set on sledding on that path there was no reason they couldn't shoo the cat away before sledding (cookie-sheeting?) into it. I'm still not clear on if they hit it or not - I hope not, but it's hard to tell from the camera angle. I hope the cat's okay and I hope the Duggars at least take a hit from this whole thing, even if it's just die-hard fans thinking "maybe they aren't perfect after all."

• Love 2

I, also, watched the now infamous "cat video" and it's clear that they aimed to go down that incline towards the cat to possibly run in to it. It is also unclear if derickdillard actually HIT the cat or not because whoever was behind the phone camera conveniently jerked it away at just the precise moment when they would have met. I also agree with the poster who said that a person derickdillard's size, weight, and momentum going down that incline could have, indeed, really hurt that cat. They are small in comparison to humans, and they have very small, delicate bones. I think derrickdillard and thedashingbenseewald acted like jerks. Someone should send a "large" object down an incline towards them with their backs to the participant....see how they like it. This family has made no secret about how rough and reckless they "play", with no regard to safety for themselves, equipment and now innocent animals...there is my two cents .....Just not a good thing to do at all..

• Love 9

It's more telling of Ben who PUSHED Derick.

I hope Walmart doesn't do anything--I don't wish anyone to lose their job especially with a baby on the way, no matter who they are.

I can't tell much from the video because all I hear is laughing, no talk about the cat. I bet Derick wouldn't even have been able to maneuver the "sled" away from the cat if he wanted to. I've definitely ran into snow banks/other people while tubing/sledding because I couldn't stop :/

(edited)

I think a Duggar apology would be pointless. They're selfish assholes who only care about themselves. I doubt it would be sincere. They are only sorry it caused a backlash. If they made a sizeable donation to an animal rescue group, I could see possibly accepting an apology from them but then again, Jim Blob is a cheap bastard.

Edited by Joe Jitsu913
  • Love 7

Fair enough, msblossom!  Kisses! :-)  I have no problem with branding a lot of what these people do as terrible, so I guess I can just add this on to the pile.

And, my sentiments above aside, I am enjoying the heck out of the term "cat-gate."

• Love 3

I'm surprised that when MEchelle put the kittens in the pitcher of death no one made a big stink about it but this is lighting up the internet. 

I agree they won't say a darn thing about it. Business as usual as the "excitement" over Baby Dilly builds.

(edited)

A couple of things about cat-gate:

1) my Duggar-snarking sister sent me the video, so I had no warning what it was about. That being said, I was initially irritated that he was sledding on a cookie sheet, because a) that's disgusting we use those for cooking and b) he's not 8 years old, he looked enormous on that thing. Seriously, with the bajillion kids the Duggars have, I would have thought they picked up some used sleds over the years. Whatever, I guess Jilly Muffin forgot to put it on the bridal/baby registry.

2) His wife could really have that baby any time now. I totally get wanting to have fun before the baby comes, but with him working full time, I would think he would want to spend his free time helping her with things. But I guess I get him wanting free time, so I'll let that go.

3) "move cat" or not, it was totally intentional. The saw the cat, he put his 25 year old ass on a cookie sheet in line with the cat and his BFF Bin pushed him in the direction of the cat. The way the camera/phone moved, it's possible that he did not hit the cat, but the intent was there.

I know that a lot of people had high hopes for Derrick, but he certainly wasn't acting like a responsible adult that will be a father within the next month. He was acting like a douchey 25 year old guy. Sorry if I seem overly upset but I really just love kitties :(

Edited by truelovekiss
  • Love 7

Thus far, I posted the video of Derick on TLC's page and local Arkansas animal rescue pages. I hope someone calls their asses out on their bullshit goody two shoes image.

Love this comment.  Thanks, Joe.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I mentioned the kittens-in-a-pitcher when I commented in response to what E!Online posted, in semi-defense of the Duggars as animal lovers. They sort of neglected that part of the story. 

I also think that this article sums up MY attitude towards Catgate. I would be "hating" on ANYONE who did this because defenseless animals. The article used Elizabeth Warren as a test case. 

http://www.thefrisky.com/2015-03-03/duggars-son-in-law-purposely-runs-over-cat-in-sled-as-sociopathic-family-giggles/

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4

Would YOU want to sit there while a creature 10 or 15 times your size came flying down the hill at you?   Would that be funny to you?

Of course not.  But I do wonder if they were joking with the whole "get the cat" thing, assuming the cat would jump out of the way, and didn't really have any malicious intent.  If that's the case it would have been a stupid and juvenile move, I agree, but not necessarily one that was intended to harm.  Was it at least negligent?  Yes, that I'm fine with.  But it's not like they did something that they knew would guarantee harm to the cat (shooting it with BBs or something).  

I guess I'm saying I think it's completely possible that someone could (wrongly) assume that what they were doing was innocuous, the cat would run away well before he got to the bottom (which, indeed, may be what actually happened; the video footage is ambiguous) so would not be in any danger.  That doesn't seem an unreasonable assumption to me.  Foolish?  Perhaps.  But not evidence of evilness.  I think we may be assigning intent where we don't have enough evidence to do so.

Listen, it's just my opinion, and I'm definitely an animal lover, too.  I'm just trying to give a different perspective.  Luckily you all are very good about being civil with opinions you don't necessarily agree with :-) (Right?)

• Love 5
(edited)

E News just featured Cat-Gate in the first 10 minutes of the show, and it appears Team Cat has a lot of support. They said TLC had no comment.

Edited by mccav
  • Love 7

Rhondinella, I think that there would be more people on the fence if not for the cries of "Get it!" and the cackling (apparently from Joy) that are heard in the background, not to mention the fact that Ben shoved Derick in the direct path of said cat. The Duggars have 20 acres of land, and that was a very large hill, evidenced by where you could see kids off to the right in the shot. 

So no, I personally find the evidence pretty damning against every single Duggar/Seewald/Dillard in that video, especially given the fact that Derick and Ben are looked at as role models for the little kids. What kind of message is this behavior sending to them? 

That's why I have a hard time even playing Devil's Advocate with this one. I love ya, but sorry, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. <3

• Love 9

Putting Derick in the light of a father figure since he married "mama" Jill, this looks to me like Jim Bob taking off with Kelly Bates' kids.  It's sick and twisted and not behavior he should be demonstrating for the younger Duggars, IMO.  If that went on in my family, I'd be chewing some behinds off in short order.  

• Love 3
(edited)

They use old political signs as sleds because Boob is too cheap to buy them real ones.

Just thought about another thing that we are forgetting, didn't MEchelle work for a vet? Wouldn't he be horrified by all this? Shouldn't he be commenting on this?

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 3

I am really heartened that people are angry about the cat video.

Princess Jessa screaming "Push him, push him!" shows that they WANTED to hit that cat.  Hurry up and push him before the cat is aware of what is going on.

Didn't Jessa tell us just last week that we should all be very afraid of God's judgment?  The Duggars are the first to condemn so many, yet hide behind their religion and their money, oops I meant "ministry."

It just blows my mind that these people are so hypocritical. 

• Love 16

AOL's still a thing? :D

I want this sucker to hit CNN and the NYT! FAUX "News" was actually quite objective about this, although the "defensive" fan post they used was far too general, not addressing the situation at hand at all. In general, the leghumpers only defense has been to bring up abortion. So I just return the volley by noting that's a strawman, and to please address the cat. 

I'm kind of a beeyotch like that. :D

• Love 9

I've been reading the comments on the many sites talking about this.  People keep saying stupid crap like, "You are worried about a cat, yet it's OK to abort millions of babies?"  I didn't see one comment stating that.

That's the best the Duggar fans can come up with?  Doesn't even make sense to compare the two.

Apples and oranges, people.

• Love 2

Sew Sumi, you're right, it doesn't even snow in AR every winter.  This has been the snowiest there in decades.  We have relatives who live there and they had never been snowed in more than two days and it went 10 days or more this year.  They don't have snow plows in most towns because the snow almost never lasts more than a day.  That two days of being snowed in had been remarkable for being unusual until this winter.  

• Love 1
Princess Jessa screaming "Push him, push him!" shows that they WANTED to hit that cat.  Hurry up and push him before the cat is aware of what is going on.

I guess I didn't hear that part.  Ok, I'll concede that that doesn't look good, if that was indeed why she was saying it.

I'm done now, though. We will, indeed, have to agree to disagree on this one. Thank you all for still loving me.  And not just because I have to power to ban you.  (I think?)

Please understand I still have serious issues with these people.

• Love 6
(edited)

Is the term, cat like reflexes familiar to anyone?

I've heard of it, and I still don't think it's okay to sled into them. Also not okay to throw cats off of roofs to see if they really do have "cat like reflexes" or always land on their feet, either. (in my opinion, of course)

ETA: not that the Duggars or Dillards threw a cat off of a roof that I know of, it just seems like a similar attitude. ("It'll get out of the way; it'll land on its feet," etc.)

Edited by NikSac
  • Love 12

I doubt the Duggars have much understanding of this reaction towards DD's video. There's something in Genesis about humans having dominion over animals, so I doubt the Dugs are into animal rights. It's not like we've ever seen compassion from any of them for the critters in their care.

• Love 3

My daughter takes a class at a farm...I DO NOT let any of my kids chase the chickens. It seems really cruel to me. And like I said, I'm not a big animal lover...don't have pets and don't really want any...not my thing. But, hello? it's just a matter or respect. My mother taught me that.

I would be SO DARN MAD at my teen sons for doing that...

I yell at them not to chase the seagulls at the beach too. (hahaha) I figure the birds are doing their thing and leave them alone.

Just goes to show how childish and disrespectful they are.

And I'm not a Duggar hater but I call it how I see it.

• Love 4

The cat was not in any danger because cats move quickly.

It's the intent of the human that bothers me. I just don't like it. It shows something about them.

Similiar to that stupid joke where the howler dropped that baby doll and the camcera guy thought it was real. once again, mean humor. It's not kind to scare the crap out of someone. Cat or human.

WWJD? Uh, probably not aim for a cat on a cookie sheet sled.

• Love 14
(edited)

I don't think the cat was in dire danger, but an "adult man" should know better than to aim his oncoming "sled" at an animal under any circumstances, especially with younger children looking on. To post it on social media is beyond reason.

Edited by mccav
  • Love 9

Similiar to that stupid joke where the howler dropped that baby doll and the camcera guy thought it was real. once again, mean humor. It's not kind to scare the crap out of someone. Cat or human.

This is my feeling, too. I doubt they were intentionally trying to hurt the cat, but Duggar "humor" always strikes me as very hostile. The dropping the "baby" to scare the camera guy, scaring Amy on her birthday, trashing the wedding cars, laughing at the baby with her head caught in the stair rails, etc. It is always mean spirited.

The only instances of light-hearted humor that I can recall came from Amy trying to play with her cousins.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't like (most) cats that much, but to take joy in tormenting one? And to do it in front of children when you're an adult role model? And post it on IG when you are (sadly) role models to many people (leg-humpers)?

Grow up. These adults are not ready to have a child of their own.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 2

The thing that I don't get about this is why not just apologize? Regardless of what they thought at the time, this video has clearly not gone over well. Why doesn't Derick just post something saying "Sorry. We were all goofing around and we did something dumb. It wasn't the right thing to do, and I'm sorry I posted the video.

Is it just not possible to ever admit to a mistake? Aren't they all supposed to be so very humble?

• Love 9

I really need to get a life. Because after Sew Sumi posted the link to that (disgusting) video,I have spent the last hour going from site to site to site reading all the negative comments. I have to say FINALLY,some of the kool-aid drinking Duggar fans are waking up to just how creepy this family really is.

To end on a lighter note (and I hope this doesn't offend) this comment from someone on RawStory cracked me up:

tiredoftheBS • 5 hours ago
And here I thought Quiverfull menfolk just loooooved pussy!

• Love 19

The thing that I don't get about this is why not just apologize? Regardless of what they thought at the time, this video has clearly not gone over well. Why doesn't Derick just post something saying "Sorry. We were all goofing around and we did something dumb. It wasn't the right thing to do, and I'm sorry I posted the video.

Is it just not possible to ever admit to a mistake? Aren't they all supposed to be so very humble?

That would be the decent thing to do. Derrick's mom seems to be a really nice lady and I can't believe she would raise him to be so uncaring.

Why does TLC and the duggs  fans insist on viewing them through rose colored glasses? They are not nice people.

I really need to get a life. Because after Sew Sumi posted the link to that (disgusting) video,I have spent the last hour going from site to site to site reading all the negative comments. I have to say FINALLY,some of the kool-aid drinking Duggar fans are waking up to just how creepy this family really is.

To end on a lighter note (and I hope this doesn't offend) this comment from someone on RawStory cracked me up:

tiredoftheBS • 5 hours ago

And here I thought Quiverfull menfolk just loooooved pussy!

They don't really love it, they just aim for it.

• Love 8