Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Looking ahead, will Jill and Derrick continue to be interesting after they have their baby? Once we see the birth, etc, what about when their baby starts growing up? We've already seen Josh and Anna in this role. In the beginning, Josh did have the car lot and Anna worked there, too, so that setting could be filmed. But Derrick works at Wal-Mart

so most likely we'll either see Jill alone with the baby, perhaps with one of her younger sisters along as "helper", or we'll see Derrick and Jill out at a farmer's market or something like that. I just wonder how long there will be interest in each Duggar girl after each one has one, then two, etc. babies.

Also, I see less of the huge "megabus" family trips in the future. How many people can the family take along on their vacations and also, how much more will TLC pay for? In about 5 years time, there could be an extra 12-15 people in the family between new spouses, babies, etc. They'll need at least 2 huge busses to transport everybody.

• Love 2

Looking ahead, will Jill and Derrick continue to be interesting after they have their baby? Once we see the birth, etc, what about when their baby starts growing up? We've already seen Josh and Anna in this role. In the beginning, Josh did have the car lot and Anna worked there, too, so that setting could be filmed. But Derrick works at Wal-Mart

so most likely we'll either see Jill alone with the baby, perhaps with one of her younger sisters along as "helper", or we'll see Derrick and Jill out at a farmer's market or something like that. I just wonder how long there will be interest in each Duggar girl after each one has one, then two, etc. babies.

Also, I see less of the huge "megabus" family trips in the future. How many people can the family take along on their vacations and also, how much more will TLC pay for? In about 5 years time, there could be an extra 12-15 people in the family between new spouses, babies, etc. They'll need at least 2 huge busses to transport everybody.

They definitely won't be interesting, which is why Jill and JB are milking it now. Now is the "exciting" time -- courtships, engagements and weddings for a couple girls so that's all brand new. The girls' first few kids will be a big deal as well -- VSEs showing every disgusting detail of delivery; showing how the daughters are raising their own kids to be part of the fundie army etc. But just like the original 19 got old and the show was fading until a few courtships popped up, the same will happen after Jill and Jessa have babies 1 and 2 and maybe after courtship for Jana and JD or Joseph and maybe showing Joseph at college a bit. Not so sure what happens to the show afterward.

I have never seen a family who professes that one leaves and cleaves after marriage, yet they continue to treat them and include them in their nuclear family's meetings, trips, etc..Aren't these married adult children their own household? It is awful to see Jilly and derickdillard, etal sitting on JB's couch at a family meeting which should be for their children who are still at home and unmarried...Josh, Jill and Jessa have their own things to do and matters to handle...I think it inappropriate for these people also to travel on that "family bus" as they are adults in their own right. Contradictions yet again.

• Love 4
Why would Derick tweet that? That's awfully insensitive.

Because he's a guy? And things that they think are funny throw-away remarks, aren't always the case. 

Actually, I think he DID tweet it because he couldn't believe one of the Howlers actually said such a thing. 

So, I read the Bringing Up Bates forum and I noticed that pregnant Alyssa was getting some heat on her Instagram from her fellow Fundies for wearing maternity wear that is 1) adorable, 2) trendy, and 3) sleeveless and knee bearing.  Actually, she looks great and very stylish. Luckily, a LOT of people came to her rescue, including her mother, who defended her choices. One pic actually showed her in JEANS. (GASP!)  Compare this to Jill, who still dresses in awful, faded, dowdy jean skirts that practically come to her ankles, and then tops the look with shapeless maternity blouses that look like they were handed down by Michelle. I wish that Jill would break from the "modesty" code that her psychotic mother rammed down her throat and realize that she's now free from them. Dress like a 23 year old, not like your mother. Modesty doesn't have to equal ugly. 

I think that the Bateses having their own show is making the Duggars look worse than we thought. Despite having the same belief system, the Bates kids are allowed to show individual personality, buy more trendy clothing (such a departure from the matching LHOTP dresses they wore when the audience first "met" them), and have slightly less restrictions on their love lives than the Duggars. And they seem happier for it. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 2

I think Jill and Jana have always dressed frumpy, they favor multiple layers and smock-style tops better suited for little girls than women in their 20's. I'll cut Jill some slack because I'm sure at this point she just wants to wear whatever is comfortable, but I also think she should buy a couple decent maternity outfits for functions and appearances. Since she's hell bent on "leaving it up to God" she'll get plenty of use out of them.

The difference between the way that Jill and Alyssa dress is directly related to where they live in the country. Alyssa is in Florida where style matters while no one from Arkansas is a paragon of style whether they are fundie or not.

• Love 1

Derrick knows Jill better than we do. Maybe she thought it was funny and doesn't take it personally. I think if he thought it would hurt her he wouldn't have posted it. Or, maybe he is a total asshole.

• Love 4

It's an odd tweet. And either shows that Derick hasn't quite mastered the whole husband thing or the whole celebrity thing. Which isn't all that shocking given how quickly both happened for him.

I may just be more forgiving of Derick than the other fundie guys, but I can see Jill thinking that's funny (unlike Jessa, she doesn't seem too obsessive about her looks and is so excited about being pregnant I can't imagine that remark really bringing her down).  If someone said that to me and someone else tweeted it, I wouldn't mind.  And Jill loves kids so I can imagine her genuinely laughing and thinking "oh, how precious."  (I'm sure those are the words she would think, too.)

• Love 2

The difference between the way that Jill and Alyssa dress is directly related to where they live in the country. Alyssa is in Florida where style matters while no one from Arkansas is a paragon of style whether they are fundie or not.

"We are in Orlando! You go big or you go back to Kissimmee!"

I think Jill might just not be into fashion. Her choices never bother me, mostly because I am not aware of her complaining that she "has" to wear certain clothes because her mother makes her. She is an adult now and married. I personally think this is one aspect where she could certainly branch out more if she wanted. She could search for modest clothing ideas on Pinterest. But, I think she might like what she wears.

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Love 3

Hey I have to stick up for my home state! While Arkansas may not be fashion central it is not quite the back of beyond some people make it out to be. While the Duggars may have no fashion sense, or desire to, I can assure you that there are plenty of people, even those who dress modestly, who do in Arkansas. I imagine that every person's personal version of a paragon of style is different, but on the whole, we Arkansans aren't unaware of fashion trends & ideas. We may not dress exactly like those who declare the in looks for the moment. That doesn't mean we are bumpkins without style. Now 'cuse me, I'm off to ask the local hitchin' post if they can special order that magazine Vague I hered of with all them purdy dresses in it.
  • Love 18

That doesn't mean we are bumpkins without style. Now 'cuse me, I'm off to ask the local hitchin' post if they can special order that magazine Vague I hered of with all them purdy dresses in it.

hahahaha thank you for the laugh :-) 

But I think Jill dresses the way she does is because she really isn't into hair and makeup and clothing more so than a regional thing...Its not like Alyssa moved to NY lol . I think Alyssa and Jessa dress similar- but I wouldnt say they are high fashion or anything. They dress better because they care more. We've all seen Jill kind of leave her hair to the wayside, wear holey shirts on IG and not be too put together while Jessa/Alyssa usually looks very nice and made up. Alyssa dresses better than Jessa IMO but I think that is because she lets her self be a little more modern

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 2

The funny thing is that when Jill was packing to move in with Derick, one of the girls said Jill was taking all the "good clothes." Okaay...

"Good" is questionable but it's also disturbing that she didn't just take 'her' clothes. Can you imagine being old enough to get married but you've never owned clothes yourself.

• Love 3

Hey I have to stick up for my home state! While Arkansas may not be fashion central it is not quite the back of beyond some people make it out to be. While the Duggars may have no fashion sense, or desire to, I can assure you that there are plenty of people, even those who dress modestly, who do in Arkansas. I imagine that every person's personal version of a paragon of style is different, but on the whole, we Arkansans aren't unaware of fashion trends & ideas. We may not dress exactly like those who declare the in looks for the moment. That doesn't mean we are bumpkins without style. Now 'cuse me, I'm off to ask the local hitchin' post if they can special order that magazine Vague I hered of with all them purdy dresses in it.

I see your point and retract my previous statement.

I think it's an inside joke.

I agree. My husband would crack the heck up if someone said that to me.  Quite honestly, if I do end up getting pregnant- I imagine he'll be the one saying it. Not because he's a jerk (he isn't) but because that is just the kind of humor we share.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 4

Alyssa dresses like such a little teeny bopper. Cutesy and stylish for a Fundy. Maybe she'll be photographed in pants soon enough. Jill seems very earthy/crunchy. I wouldn't be surprised to see her in a pair of Birkenstocks.

Alyssa has been photographed in jeans and a short sleeve top. =)  I wonder if Jill has seen this pic and taken notice at how Alyssa is dressed.

tumblr_nicgz8Lev01u0tuf6o1_500.jpg

Edited by abseedee
  • Love 1

Let's also keep in mind that her husband (assuming they stay with patriarchal rules) is the one who has final say over whether his wife is too immodestly dressed or not. What might be ok for Alyssa's husband may not be ok with another man. Some men like to display their wives, others prefer to keep things more private, just as some women like to dress more stylishly, sexily, professionally, etc., while other women simply don't care.

Does anyone realize just how hot and humid Florida is most of the year? Alyssa would not be comfortable at all in the "fundy uniform". After all, she isn't from Florida and isn't used to the warm climate. Having said that, even though Florida is my home, I can never understand how Anna and the Keller family can stand those long, heavy denim skirts and polo shirts themselves in the Florida heat... I think Alyssa looks fine, she is a young woman and Jill needs to take a few lessons from her.

Many thoughts. Is the company going to Heaven or the chickens? What about the french fries and dip?

How will she be thin and beautiful to appease the children again eating fried foods or did she stick to the grilled?

What did everyone wear swimming? Did Chic fil a endorse their getup and costumes?

Did Jill eat the Chic fil a cold to battle the smells and nausea?

If I eat Chic fil a, will I feel guilty about eating part of Heaven?

Did they pray first?

• Love 4

I want Chic Fil A in whatever heaven I end up in, lol. The chicken sandwiches are so good. I rarely eat there unless I'm with my nieces/nephews because there's one near their house.

The story is pretty ridiculous though. It's just an Instagram post, sheesh.!

• Love 5

Just chiming in to say that that's not just speculation but confirmed truth - Josh and Anna ate there nonstop to support their "traditional family values" while that whole debacle was going down.  They mentioned on occasion buying food there they didn't really need just to support the anti-gay stuff.  So...yeah.  

I've never eaten there and never will, but I gotta say I'm damn curious about the food, given how many allies I know who will eat there.  If it's that damn good that people will throw away moral convictions over it, I want to try it. 

• Love 3

It's my favorite FF place to eat and it has nothing to do with their position on gay/lesbian issues. It's damn good chicken. Better than Zaxby's.

Yep. Has nothing to do with their religious affiliation or positions. Chicken sandwiches with Chik Fil A sauce. Amazing.

• Love 2

I would like to know from Chik Fil A directly if the Duggars etal, are paid or receive their orders free of charge for promoting their company. Can't believe that this family is so food obsessed as to continually take photos of themselves eating fast foods, frozen yogurt, etc.. I'm sure it's "not for nothing". This family doesn't do anything for nothing. It smells of a Jim Bob business agreement to me.

• Love 2

I'm sure there's some quid pro quo going on with all the fast food plugs.

I co-sign with everyone on Chik Fil A. They don't have them where I live so anytime I'm at an airport that has a Chik Fil A in their food court, I make a beeline for it.

Just chiming in to say that that's not just speculation but confirmed truth - Josh and Anna ate there nonstop to support their "traditional family values" while that whole debacle was going down. They mentioned on occasion buying food there they didn't really need just to support the anti-gay stuff. So...yeah.

I've never eaten there and never will, but I gotta say I'm damn curious about the food, given how many allies I know who will eat there. If it's that damn good that people will throw away moral convictions over it, I want to try it.

I'm sure that Josh REALLY minded having to eat fast food so often! LOL!

I guess I'm the only one in the world who finds Chik Fil A chicken to taste weird. But I do like their waffle fries, sweet tea, and milkshakes.

Not just you.  I can't stand their chicken either.  I'll only stop at a CFA if it's the only place in miles.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/nolongerquivering/2014/03/by-its-cover-the-duggar-book-signing/

But it was when she went out to seek a restroom and returned where it got very weird. The lady representing the Chick Fil A in the Landmark Mall in Alexandria, Virginia, owned by Jeff Burke, took one look at Laura trying to enter the store right behind her and purposely shut the door in Laura’s face. Later she was distributing Chick Fil A freebie coupons and did the same thing the FCB flunkie did, give things to those immediately in front of us and immediately behind and everywhere else, but deliberately skip Laura.

I think the Duggars have a stack of those freebie coupons. They haven't paid for CFA for years.

PDQ i a good alternative to CFA, with similar food. They're not a big chain, though.

Edited by JoanArc

I'll starve before I eat CFA, whether I like their food or not. What they stand for is abhorrent to me. The fact that the Duggars make such a point about eating it just makes me loathe them more.

Edited by MichaelaRae
  • Love 19

I'll starve before I eat CFA, whether I like their food or not. What they stand for is abhorrent to me. The fact that the Duggars make such a point about eating it just makes me loathe them more.

100% agree. I can't patronize any business whose beliefs or practices I don't like. No matter how cheap their prices, or how good their food. Haven't set foot in a WalMart for 15 years. I'll pay 50 cents extra for a pair of socks at some other store if need be - and feel just fine. Luckily I didn't have to drop CFA, because I live in an area where we never heard of them until they were in the news for their bigoted views.

• Love 4

If they still have Gothard rules, you always have an accountability partner. But this can actually be a small child, so even someone like Michelle or Jill is rarely out or about strictly alone. To be fair, it isn't only about tattling (although that is part of it) as a baby can't tattle. But it's supposed to always keep you focused on your family and internally driven, not looking outward. It you look outward, you might think about what you might be missing - I mean, you might be more susceptible to the dangers of the outside world.

Men are a little more free to come and go, but there's a reason JB takes his younger children with him, and it isn't only so they can "learn" on the job.

Somehow I just found my way back to this. If JB takes younger children with him to support his own accountability, then I find myself very accepting of this religious perspective. And I find it quite interesting to learn there is a subculture that does this fairly equally between adult men and women. I wouldn't choose it, but I respect it. And some years from now it wouldn't surprise me to learn Derick behaves similarly. 

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 2

They really don't have much to write about these days, do they?

I did searches for a baby registry and came up with nothing but an empty fake profile (it was based out of Louisiana - no way that's them). I'm really shocked, but maybe they thought they got too much at their wedding? *snort snort*

This accountability partner lifestyle just makes me sick, fellow posters. I can't believe that a group of adult people would deem themselves so fragile, weak and spineless that they aren't allowed to go anywhere, even to the grocery store by themselves? If one is strong in their faith, a trip out for milk shouldn't throw them off the path. I can't believe that Jill would still be required to have a guard. I wonder if they are allowed time alone in the bathroom to take a shower without a timer outside (be it an actual egg timer with a sibling monitoring it)..doesn't anyone find that a bit extreme? Ok, if the rules are the same for Jim Bob as they are for Meechelle, to have someone with them, it's still nauseating to me. This, is just my opinion. There's something wrong with this. I would like for them to 'open up those studies" that Michelle refers to and let us know exactly what is in those publications and for them to completely explain their beliefs and practices and the resulting lifestyle...everything. ie; are they allowed time alone in the shower without someone outside waiting for them,  yes, all of it. Speculation is just that and I would like definitive answers as to how these people live and why they justify those things as biblical. Thanks for allowing me to post my opinion.

• Love 2

oh man, I had to look Alyssa's instagram up and woah. She should sit Jill down for pointers.

Remember when the Duggar girls were the stylish ones, and the Bates girls looked like Little House rejects? I'd say Alyssa found the 21st century a lot faster than Jill. I'm curious what Jessa's maternity style will be.

• Love 1