Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

They listed the house on Friday, and had an open house this weekend, now a sale is pending. Couldn’t get any better than that. Now, unless the buyers are prequalified, the wait for financing can put one on edge, selling, or buying. 😁

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

They listed the house on Friday, and had an open house this weekend, now a sale is pending. Couldn’t get any better than that. Now, unless the buyers are prequalified, the wait for financing can put one on edge, selling, or buying. 😁

The same happened with my sister's place. Listed, open house and offer well over asking price within a week and half. 

I'm really curious to see where Jill and Derick are moving. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

If the Dillards really are moving, then our title thread is even more relevant. I hope they are moving to a bigger home (suck it, Jessa!) that is closer to Derick's new job. I would think they'd want to keep the boys going to the school system Derick attended. I hope they're not moving in with Cathy!

Moving to a new, bigger home that they’ll choose and pay for themselves. Not one of Boob’s properties or part of a church (or wherever Jessa and Bin’s new house came from. We don’t really know because Jessa is a liar.)

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

The same happened with my sister's place. Listed, open house and offer well over asking price within a week and half. 

I'm really curious to see where Jill and Derick are moving. 

Same for my brother and SIL. They decided to move out of state one day and put an offer on a property 2 days later. They’re also making a profit from the sale of their current home. Good for Jill and Derick.

• Love 10
Just now, CalicoKitty said:

Question: Is a law degree specific to a single state, or is it valid across state lines?

Not law degree but where you pass the bar exam. So Dreck is most likely staying in Arkansas. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
27 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Moving to a new, bigger home that they’ll choose and pay for themselves. Not one of Boob’s properties or part of a church (or wherever Jessa and Bin’s new house came from. We don’t really know because Jessa is a liar.)

Yes, but they'll use equity from a home that came from TLC/JB money. The same money Jessa used to buy the Mold House. Going forward it will be different, but up until Derick's first paycheck, the Dillards have been living from the same pocketbook as everyone else.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

I do believe Derick could go to another state. I think I looked it up once upon a time. 

I think some states have reciprocity and some require retaking the bar. But many laws are very different state to state so I don't imagine a new lawyer would intentionally test in one state with plans to move right away to another.

• Useful 2
  • Love 8

4 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I do believe Derick could go to another state. I think I looked it up once upon a time. 

I was just curious because they seemed so excited about their trip to Oregon, and the trip was while he was studying for the Bar.  I thought, as a long shot, that they might have been exploring a move.  But maybe not.

• Useful 1

I really don't think that U of A degree would open a lot of doors to him if he moved to the West Coast. Pretty much every Arkansas lawyer I know went to the U of A, and being an alumni can be a pretty significant networking tool here, at least according to the lawyers I know. And maybe in certain parts of northeast OK/SW Missouri. I certainly know a lot of lawyers from here who are also licensed to practice there due to proximity. He loses that if he moves too far away. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I was just curious because they seemed so excited about their trip to Oregon, and the trip was while he was studying for the Bar.  I thought, as a long shot, that they might have been exploring a move.  But maybe not.

I think if that was the plan he would have taken the bar exam there.

• Love 5
Just now, Zella said:

I really don't think that U of A degree would open a lot of doors to him if he moved to the West Coast. Pretty much every Arkansas lawyer I know went to the U of A, and being an alumni can be a pretty significant networking tool here, at least according to the lawyers I know. And maybe in certain parts of northeast OK/SW Missouri. I certainly know a lot of lawyers from here who are also licensed to practice there due to proximity. He loses that if he moves too far away. 

But he as made some questionable decisions in the past............  But I think you are right.  It will be interesting to see where they end up.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
2 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

But he as made some questionable decisions in the past..

This is true. LOLOLOL I always sort of overestimate all these folks' decision-making. 

I am very curious about what his job is and where they land. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

This is true. LOLOLOL I always sort of overestimate all these folks' decision-making. 

I am very curious about what his job is and where they land. 

My money is on Little Rock.

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

Since Jill has said they are moving for his job, I truly hope he sticks with it and does not decide to change directions again in a couple of years.

Is Derek the one who years ago said he had wanted to work for the government (maybe FBI)?  I can't remember for sure who that was.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

My money is on Little Rock.

Yeah that is my assumption too. It's also possible they are moving within NWA, but they're already in a pretty desirable and central location, so unless they're trying to get a bigger house for the third kid, I'm not sure why they'd sell the current house. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Zella said:

Yeah that is my assumption too. It's also possible they are moving within NWA, but they're already in a pretty desirable and central location, so unless they're trying to get a bigger house for the third kid, I'm not sure why they'd sell the current house. 

Jill said they're moving for Derick's job, so my guess is they're moving well out of NWA.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, ScorpioSoul said:

Just because they made money on this sale means nothing. They will also be paying a premium for the new house.

And if they're moving to a more expensive area they'll get less bang for their buck. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Jill said they're moving for Derick's job, so my guess is they're moving well out of NWA.

I just remembered this, but didn't he do some summer thing in Little Rock a couple of years and didn't they live down there for a few weeks during it? If that's not just from my diseased imagination, maybe it went well enough for them to want to make it permanent.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

I just remembered this, but didn't he do some summer thing in Little Rock a couple of years and didn't they live down there for a few weeks during it? If that's not just from my diseased imagination, maybe it went well enough for them to want to make it permanent.

image.png.2b63025a0dd3d98cdd4a69de1804387b.png

• Useful 5

I feel badly for Israel...changing schools and all. I'm sure he has made some nice little friends there. It's tough being the 'new kid'...I know I was one of those more than once. I agree that there are a lot of changes happening quickly for them. Why do they do that? Unless Derick was hired by a government office in the state capital; he couldn't find anything within reasonable driving distance from where they are now? I hope Izzy makes good new friends. It's also almost the end of a school year...not a good time to move. We always moved during the summer so we could finish out the school year before moving.

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I feel badly for Israel...changing schools and all. I'm sure he has made some nice little friends there. It's tough being the 'new kid'...I know I was one of those more than once. I agree that there are a lot of changes happening quickly for them. Why do they do that? Unless Derick was hired by a government office in the state capital; he couldn't find anything within reasonable driving distance from where they are now? I hope Izzy makes good new friends. It's also almost the end of a school year...not a good time to move. We always moved during the summer so we could finish out the school year before moving.

By the time they actually move it will probably be within days of the end of the school year. The house is only pending right now so I'd assume they won't be moved out until mid-May. It seems silly to start Izzy in a new school for 2 or 3 weeks.  Derick might start commuting to his new job and get them set up in the new town/city while Jill gets things finished up at the old house. 

• Love 18

Izzy is a personable kid--I don't think he will have any problems. We moved around and moving during the school year gives him a chance to make friends.  It might have been harder to make friends in the summer, depending on where they live.

After his struggle to pass the Arkansas bar, I doubt he has any interest in taking another exam.  I think he is qualified to work for the federal government but I agree with those who think he will end up in Little Rock.

• Love 6

The juggle of selling and buying usually has more than a few hiccups and the timing doesn't always work. If the Dillards haven't already put a bid on a new home, they could be houseless for a time - for sure a pitfall for selling a home quickly. Maybe they'll rent for a time in their new area before buying.

Some school districts are very strict and will not look the other way if a child no longer lives in the district - even for a few days. I hope everything works out for Izzy.

• Love 5

I predict Izzy will be fine and make new friends and Sam should start school in the fall and find some friends of his own. Hopefully Jill does as well.

My son, dil and their family are in the same transition now. New baby due in late July, new job, new schools in fall for 4 kids, the oldest will be starting middle school. Offer on their current house is pending. They have it written in to the agreement on them vacating after the end of the school year.  Sure, it will be hard for the kids, but they will find new friends and adventures. (oldest grand is hoping for a bigger library in her new location)

• Love 22

Timing actually seems pretty good if the last day is the end of May. They could have also stated the closing date be after that too. Pending sale doesn’t mean moving out the next week. Our current home was vacant and we had all our ducks in a row, and it still took 3-4 weeks from accepted offer until close/move in.

My neighbors are selling and moving several states away. Their house sold within days but one of the stipulations was the new owners are “renting it back” to them until the school year is over. This is not uncommon. Our first house we ever bought we bought and rented it back to the previous owners because we weren’t moving to the area for a few months and they hadn’t found a new place yet. Something like that could be going on too. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 11

If Derick started his job already these must be some long ass days for Jill to be on her own - likely 10 hours or so. And I'm guessing Derick is exhausted. Plus having to have the house clean because its for sale. Then there will be packing...

I find moving stressful. Jill finds living stressful. I hope they get some help.

• Love 6

I would be more worried about Israel if he was still homeschooled and part of the Duggar bubble. He will have two years of normal school, I think both boys will be fine. Ben must be kicking himself for selling his soul to JB. There’s no way he can get a better job and leave the area. He will forever be on Duggar duty. 

• Love 3

Glad to see Derick's got a job.  I also think it'll be in Little Rock.

When my mom was thinking about buying a house, she explained to the seller that she couldn't purchase it for another couple of months as the paperwork for her divorce was still being processed, so the seller had her sign a purchase agreement saying that she agrees to buy the house.  I think she had to put up a couple of thousand up front.  (This was in 1980.)  So, she ended up taking her time making the purchase and moving out of her old house and the seller didn't have to worry about losing a sale.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
23 minutes ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

How do we know that they're moving out of state? Could just be moving to another area. 

I doubt they're moving out of state. My guess is they're moving within AR, but likely more than an hour a way.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

How do we know that they're moving out of state? Could just be moving to another area. 

Derick passed the Arkansas bar on his second try. Doubtful they will move out of state, just out of NWA. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

My experience with buying and selling houses in CA, it takes a month to close on a house sale.  Depending on the school schedule where they are, there are only about 6 weeks left of the school year.  Move, get the kids active in summer sports, and start school at the start of the school year.  Their timing is not too bad.  (They could have a later closing date in their contract, or they could be "renting back" for a month.  Or, they could not have made any plans because it never occurred them.  Maybe they already have a new house under contract.  I just hope they have some game plan.)

• Love 11

Regarding the issue of school for Izzy. I think the type of house the family has is more of a "starter home" area, so them needing a few weeks might not be an issue. The buyers of the home could have a lease that makes pushing the closing back a non-issue also.

Edited by ScorpioSoul
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

It's at least three hours.  It can easily go more if there's much traffic.  The last time I drove it, it took us closer to four hours.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

Since Jill has said they are moving for his job, I truly hope he sticks with it and does not decide to change directions again in a couple of years.

Is Derek the one who years ago said he had wanted to work for the government (maybe FBI)?  I can't remember for sure who that was.

They no longer have TLC money or JB provided real estate as a cushion for whatever fantasy Derick wants to chase. I'd like to think necessity will be the glue that finally makes him stick to a job. 

Yes, Derick wanted to use he's accounting degree to work with the FBI. That was in college before Nepal, Duggars, and Walmart...I don't think he ever said anything about that on the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, lascuba said:

They no longer have TLC money or JB provided real estate as a cushion for whatever fantasy Derick wants to chase. I'd like to think necessity will be the glue that finally makes him stick to a job. 

Yes, Derick wanted to use he's accounting degree to work with the FBI. That was in college before Nepal, Duggars, and Walmart...I don't think he ever said anything about that on the show.

Yup, Derick invested a lot of time and a lot Jill's money into this law degree. He's no longer a new grad wandering around Nepal with fantasies of saving souls. He's backed himself into a corner this time around. I hope its a corner he can manage. 

He's also backed Jill into this corner with him. This is a woman who cried months later when telling a story of a shower caddy falling. A woman who very much likes the company of her husband. 

Jill will largely be on her own in these coming months. I hope its a corner she can manage as well.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, floridamom said:

I feel badly for Israel...changing schools and all. I'm sure he has made some nice little friends there. It's tough being the 'new kid'...I know I was one of those more than once. 

I think that Israel l is still young enough that the move to a new school will not be a big problem. Especially if the new neighborhood has some children in it he can bond with during the summer. Sam will be fine, he’s too young to know any different.

• Love 22

I always thought that when Josh first got outed for molesting his sisters and the show became Counting On that Jessa and Jill filled their cup with cash.

They seemed to take lead and that means lots more money!

I for sure think the Dillards will be okay, because really what other choice do they have? Its the getting to that okay place I think they will struggle with.

For the first time in Jill's life she will be alone for 40+ hours a week. No Derick, no siblings and for a time, no friends. The birth of baby #3 will be drastically different from her previous births - different providers and no family unless Cathy or Michelle plan to be there.

I just foresee a lot of bumps in the road. Even for emotional support - Derick is likely going to be dealing with new job stress and working a 40 hour week for only the second time in his life - how much of himself will be available to support Jill's neediness?

The next few months would be stressful for anyone, but most have the self-resolve to get through it. Jill has shown time and time again that she needs more support than most. There's nothing wrong with needing support, but as I said above, Jill's not going to have a lot of it available.

• LOL 1
  • Love 10