Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

52 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Honey, I'm about to turn 70, and I probably ought to use a bib these days. :-)

I was just going to say someday's I think Mr. Natalie needs one.  Luckily he doesn't read here.  I just spilled his tea!

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I was just going to say someday's I think Mr. Natalie needs one.  Luckily he doesn't read here.  I just spilled his tea!

Haha...I was just about to post that Mr. Jyn invariably manages to get a grease spot on one of his silk ties (which then ends up having to be dry-cleaned) when we go out to eat. And he does love getting dressed up with a tie - he must have 40 or 50 of them which he's managed to accumulate over the years even though he was in the Navy for 38 of those years and rarely managed to find much occasion to wear a tie. Now that he's in a post-retirement civilian job, he really relishes getting to wear a tie every day.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Jilly's come a long way from the days where she claimed she couldn't find chili powder while living in Danger America.

My brother has lived in Central America (Nicaragua) for many years.  In a very rural area.  He says it is nearly impossible to buy spices!  I thought the people ate very spicy food but he says they actually eat a very bland diet mostly consisting of rice and beans and vegetables.

• Love 9

I think Derick looks better in the boat pictures because his hair is being worn (cut) like a normal man and not a character from Dumb and Dumber.  Maybe he has taken a page from Ben’s book and has had a professional haircut. 

Jill and Jessa cut their brother’s hair for years and only know one style- the 1950’s side parted door to door salesman cut.  It also accounts for why the Duggar men look like nerds...

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I am giving this recipe the side eye.  NO WAY is anyone in that family buying avocado's let alone enough for that giant family.  That is not frugal at all.  Nor does it fit with the narrative they created years ago.   Plus it comes from the produce aisle, not the canned aisle.  

Maybe that's why the entire family apparently only gets two servings' worth :P

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, louannems said:

My brother has lived in Central America (Nicaragua) for many years.  In a very rural area.  He says it is nearly impossible to buy spices!  I thought the people ate very spicy food but he says they actually eat a very bland diet mostly consisting of rice and beans and vegetables.

I've been to El Salvador multiple times, same place where Jill and Derick missioncated, and you're right, the basic diet for the average person is pretty bland.  Spices like chili powder would be hard to obtain outside of the big cities if only because most people are pretty poor and buying stuff to enhance the flavor of their food is not in the budget.  So, this one time, I would give Jill the benefit of the doubt.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I am sitting here wondering WHY anyone needs a recipe for that?  Seriously.  It's like a recipe for a grilled cheese.  

1 hour ago, DragonFaerie said:

I think you've just given her, her next recipe to post!

And will I get proper credit??  NO!  HA!  

Not only will she not credit you, she'll put a copyright notice on it claiming ownership by Dillard Family Ministries, all rights reserved.

• Love 20
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I've been to El Salvador multiple times, same place where Jill and Derick missioncated, and you're right, the basic diet for the average person is pretty bland.  Spices like chili powder would be hard to obtain outside of the big cities if only because most people are pretty poor and buying stuff to enhance the flavor of their food is not in the budget.  So, this one time, I would give Jill the benefit of the doubt.

Didn't they live close to a Wal-Mart while they were in Danger America? Plus the supplies her family brought down for them.

• Love 4

Ah, hell no!  Who wants to put anything green or orange in there?  Too healthy!

The only thing I can think of that's a plus is, Venus Fly Trap Jill doesn't have her mouth wide open, and her forehead furrowed.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Looks like thinned out cream of chicken soup with blobs of raw dough thrown in. Not a vegetable in sight.

Don't worry; I'm sure they ate it with homemade bread and salad.

• Love 21
(edited)

What happened to all that furniture they got after their wedding? There were entire sets if I recall correctly, all dark wood and rather ugly but there was enough of it to fill up the McMansion. And yet now everything they own is mismatched and worn, looking like thrift shop finds; those "chairs" at the big dining table look like piano stools. Nothing wrong with being thrifty but I thought they already owned furniture. Unless it was just part of the McMansion deal and Boob repossessed it all when Jill and Derrick went to Danger America.

Edited by Vaysh
spelling
  • Love 8

They had a small square kitchen table with chairs and now, they have this beaten up tan wood in the living room.  No chairs for it so they've been using the piano bench, the office type chair and an ottaman to sit on.  No clue why.  But man she should grift for at least a second hand table cloth

• Love 2
(edited)
23 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

They had a small square kitchen table with chairs and now, they have this beaten up tan wood in the living room.

Looking at the picture above, it appears they still have the small table with chairs. It looks a bit on the tiny side for four peple so I can see why they'd want a bigger one, but I don't get why they don't just throw out the small table or at least use those chairs for the big one instead of using whatever they can scrounge up from around the house. It's not as if they have a formal dining room; both tables are in the same combined kitchen/dining area, literally right next to each other.

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 1
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

Looking at the picture above, it appears they still have the small table with chairs. It looks a bit on the tiny side for four peple so I can see why they'd want a bigger one, but I don't get why they don't just throw out the small table or at least use those chairs for the big one instead of using whatever they can scrounge up from around the house. It's not as if they have a formal dining room; both tables are in the same combined kitchen/dining area, literally right next to each other.

The black and white photo is what she posted with the original recipe, in March. The other photo is current and the table seems to have been replaced. It’s the same view in both.

This is what appeared at the end of the recipe:

(recipe adapted from www.thecountrycook.net)

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

The black and white photo is what she posted with the original recipe, in March. The other photo is current and the table seems to have been replaced. It’s the same view in both.

Oh, ok. The camera angle makes it look like both tables could fit, but it makes more sense that they replaced the small table with a bigger one. That they didn't keep the chairs when they have no real replacements makes somewhat less sense. Unless it was a set and they sold it as such. Aaand now I've spent decidedly far too much time thinking about Duggar furniture, i.e. more than two minutes.

• Love 11

They really need to decide who is writing........who is it, Jill, Derick? Anyway.....

Trip To Texas- June 2018

Jun 20, 2018 | Family Blog, Photos | 0 

As part of Derick’s work with our church, he was able to attend the Southern Baptist Convention in Dallas, TX.  We were all able to road trip as a family, then the boys and Jill hung out with friends most of the time while Derick was at the convention.  We all enjoyed our trip and Derick had a wonderful time hearing from great leaders, connecting with fellow Christians, working at the Cross Church School of Ministry booth, and adding valuable resources his his ministry library.

6A20C980-0A26-4525-ABFE-A3020DB3BCE0.jpeg

7B6AC2E1-B541-4141-8779-316679A37828.jpeg

EA123D42-C5E8-4CD1-B1B6-45E682FAFBCF.jpeg

3CEFB2EC-C1EA-4B3F-A90E-72CC448DD935.jpeg

“We worked the booth at the convention for a little while”

0590E2E6-D070-475A-A053-0B58428C0D3B.jpeg

• Love 2

"Dropped hunks of dough into a broth" IS a dumpling, as per my German forebears (sometimes they aren't large filled things); except in my opinion this type of dumpling is more like slightly larger pieces of bow tie pasta/spaetzel; than whatever abomination Jill has thrown in there.  Hers are more like "pinch off an entire Pillsbury crescent moon, revisit "scrunching" debate, and toss it in." 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/43321/annas-german-dumplings/

• Love 9

"We all enjoyed our trip and Derick had a wonderful time hearing from great leaders, connecting with fellow Christians, working at the Cross Church School of Ministry booth, and adding valuable resources his his ministry library."

I wonder how much these valuable resources cost. Seems like a good use of funds for someone without a real ministry. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

And the chicken is optional. 

Makes me think of the chicken and dumplings in True Grit

"Watch out for those chicken and dumplings. They might hurt your eyes!"

"How is that?"

"They might hurt your eyes looking for the chicken!"

• Love 8

Izzy is eating fresh strawberries!! I'm stunned! And pleased to see that Jilly knows what fresh fruit is at least. It's a start. Maybe next will be actual chicken in her chicken soup or an actual vegetable with her dumplings. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Izzy is eating fresh strawberries!! I'm stunned! And pleased to see that Jilly knows what fresh fruit is at least. It's a start. Maybe next will be actual chicken in her chicken soup or an actual vegetable with her dumplings. 

But were they rinsed off first ? 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

But were they rinsed off first ? 

Although these look as though they came from the store with the clamshell packaging, who always rinses off a fresh strawberry before eating it?

Especially if you are out there picking them yourself. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Although these look as though they came from the store with the clamshell packaging, who always rinses off a fresh strawberry before eating it?

Especially if you are out there picking them yourself. 

You should always rinse strawberries (unless you grow them yourself, no opinion there) because they are listed as one of the dirtiest fruit:

Bill Clark | Roll Call | Getty Images

People help themselves to spinach salad.

If you're wary of the promises of organic produce, maybe you should at the very least start eating organic strawberries, recent research suggests.

For the third straight year, strawberries top the Environmental Working Group's Dirty Dozen list of fruits and vegetables with the most pesticide residues. But others view the report with skepticism.

About a third of all strawberry samples had at least 10 pesticides, the study found. One sample, had an "astounding" 22 pesticide residues, notes the EWG, a non-profit group advocating for better human and environmental health.

• Love 9

You should always rinse strawberries (unless you grow them yourself, no opinion there) because they are listed as one of the dirtiest fruit:

Bill Clark | Roll Call | Getty Images

People help themselves to spinach salad.

If you're wary of the promises of organic produce, maybe you should at the very least start eating organic strawberries, recent research suggests.

For the third straight year, strawberries top the Environmental Working Group's Dirty Dozen list of fruits and vegetables with the most pesticide residues. But others view the report with skepticism.

About a third of all strawberry samples had at least 10 pesticides, the study found. One sample, had an "astounding" 22 pesticide residues, notes the EWG, a non-profit group advocating for better human and environmental health.

I heard that on the radio. I think they said they are the dirtiest fruit. Anything you peel is pretty clean. 

• Love 1