Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Almost 3000 said:

I think she just dropped the hem to lengthen it. Guess Jana wasn't available to fix it for her.

But her skirt shows raw edges.  Before hemming, the fabric would first be turned under,  usually with a zigzag stich.  To me, it seems she simply took a sissors to it!!  After one washing, it will unravel!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

Jill can dress however she wants in her own home. They are entitled (I guess) to their own bad parenting, too. Why, though, just why do they keep posting this shit on-line? This is their brand, and their livelihood, and it's just a disaster. What are they going for -- certainly not clean-cut, young Christian family. How about hip young Christian missionary family? No, not really.

The pictures from the U of A were nice, and they're now completely undercut by this mess. The Dillards insist on portraying themselves as slovenly and lazy adults with a bizarre "alternative" parenting style. they really need to start curating their posts better.

It all just shows how clueless they are. Even worldly Derick has no clue how the rest of the world works. Neither of them would never think of reading a parenting book because Jill is an expert. Jill's years in the TTH and maybe Derick's time in Nepal has warped their sense of cleanliness.  

Their latest posts show Jill immobilizing her infant and Derick laying on a couch while his son puts stickers on him. Being in the same room with your child is not active parenting. Derick might try having as much passion for his kids as he does Twitter. And Jill might realize she has two kids, not 19, and actually raise her boys.

At least Jessa is a tad more aware of what looks like good parenting.

• Love 15
14 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

So they were going to church. They knew they'd be on stage. And that is what they wore. Derick look to your left, doesn't the guy look nice? And Jill, a faded grimy jean shirt is the best you can do?

It appears thought went into it with the color scheme and all, what do they wear without planning?

Thank you GeeGolly!

I saw that picture, and started thinking about how awful they looked, and there was your post describing my own thoughts!

I realize that this isn't a super-formal occassion and may not require a hand embroidered christening gown and the parents and god-parents all decked out, but who even goes to church looking like that? Does Derick not own one decent pair of trousers? Does Jill not own one pretty dress? I know Izzy has something nicer to wear because Grandma Cathy bought it for him.

• Love 14

Jill could have looked somewhat formal if she'd ditched that horrid jean shirt; she seems to be wearing what looks like an actual blouse. It would've looked better tucked into a tailored skirt though. And a hair brush would've done wonders. As for Derrick, the man needs a whole new wardrobe, everything looks too big on him.

• Love 5

They really look like they wear whatever they find around their home.  Some shirt thrown on the floor, something that just came out of the dryer, something that fell off the bed during the middle of the night, something that might  or might not be clean.

Jill looked nice when she was courting Derick.  Did Jana and Jinger dress her? 

• Love 12

Raising him to be pleasing to the Lord. I think God would want Sam to be happy and healthy by playing, getting a decent education, and having a chance to help others and not be a selfish, whining, hypocritical bigot who thinks the sun rises and sets on him. Stop using the bible to raise your children and do it yourself Dwerp and Cling Queen. Two of the most sorriest parents on the planet. The apple does not fall far from the Duggar tree.

Edited by bigskygirl

People dress like Jill and Derick at the heathen Catholic Church I grew up at.  But usually they dress up if their kid is going to be baptized, which is pretty much what this is like. We, Catholics, use the same grandiose language of rejecting satan and whatnot during Baptism. Catholics parents, and the godparents actually do promise to raise their kids in the way God wants.   You can look up the ceremony for a Catholic baptism for infants to see what it's like on the web. 

On Jill's clothes, I wonder if she feels she has to be  more covered in the house of the lord. She looks like Michelle in that outfit. 

I'm not familiar with swaddling, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it, except on tv. According to google, most people stop swaddling when the kids is 3-4 months old. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Temperance said:

People dress like Jill and Derick at the heathen Catholic Church I grew up at.  But usually they dress up if their kid is going to be baptized, which is pretty much what this is like. We, Catholics, use the same grandiose language of rejecting satan and whatnot during Baptism. Catholics parents, and the godparents actually do promise to raise their kids in the way God wants.   You can look up the ceremony for a Catholic baptism for infants to see what it's like on the web. 

On Jill's clothes, I wonder if she feels she has to be  more covered in the house of the lord. She looks like Michelle in that outfit. 

I'm not familiar with swaddling, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it, except on tv. According to google, most people stop swaddling when the kids is 3-4 months old. 

Most newborns are soothed by swaddling. Heading toward months 2 & 3 they're usually swaddled only at nap/bedtime. Each baby reacts uniquely to swaddling. Swaddling an awake 6 month old is odd, and the way Jill swaddled Sammy is nothing I have ever seen before. I'm guessing what you've seen on TV is a cross between a sleeping bag and a burrito? That would be the best way I can think of describing it.

• Love 5

Every time I see Izzy I can't get over how tall he is for his age - and not just that, that he looks more mature. Some tall kids still have their baby faces, but even facially he looks like he's old enough to be starting school.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

Glad to hear the ceremony wasn't for Sammy's salvation. Whew! I was worried for a minute there.

Derick's mouth is the gift that keeps on giving. 

They have to say that to ensure everyone they're the RIGHT kind of Christian. None of those infant baptisms, 'cause those don't work in the fundy Baptist world. Instead they do a dedication and then when the kid is old enough to profess faith they get a good dunking and a REAL baptism. (Big point of contention for Baptists. Some are VERY superior about "believers' baptisms" being the ONLY way to do it.)

Edited by LilJen
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

23844618_1408619195903552_60422417588537

From Pickles. 

Well, aren't the Dullards diverse.  A little bit of damage control for them?  I hope they didn't try to convert.  

Izzy has a very interesting look on his face.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 7

Potato, Potahto...what the Dullards are doing here with Sammy mimics infant baptism. I know it's not a 'sacrament', but it's a public action in their church stating that they dedicate their child to God and will raise him/her in a Godly way. That is what heathen Catholics do with infant baptism...the godparents state if something happens to the parents, they will care for the child's religious upbringing. Yet, they insult Catholic infant baptism. That is why we have Confirmation....the child, when reaching the age of discretion, takes those promises for themselves....to be a member of the Church.

Yes, Jill looked awful in all of these photos here. What is wrong with both of them. Does she not have a mirror in her house?

What is wrong with Cathy? Does she agree with this awful blanket training crap? I feel for those children very much. How could something like that be right? No common sense here.

• Love 22
12 hours ago, LilJen said:

They have to say that to ensure everyone they're the RIGHT kind of Christian. None of those infant baptisms, 'cause those don't work in the fundy Baptist world. Instead they do a dedication and then when the kid is old enough to profess faith they get a good dunking and a REAL baptism. (Big point of contention for Baptists. Some are VERY superior about "believers' baptisms" being the ONLY way to do it.)

Well, if you actually follow Baptist theological principles -- from time immemorial -- then believers' baptism is the only way to do it. Believing that isn't a matter of ego and a superiority complex, it's just the facts, in my opinion.

Faith is something you have to consciously opt into. That was a foundational belief of most Protestantism, actually, but most began slipping away from it early on, partly because of consternation about whether unbaptized young kids would go to hell (and despite various workarounds for that that various theologians posited). Baptists held onto the idea.

You have to choose God with your own will, heart and mind to actually be a believer, according to the Baptist faith, which has never been officially changed from that. And it's impossible for a baby or a young child to do that. Makes perfect sense to me, actually. You have to be old enough to know what you're doing.

Officially, Baptist theological principles have never wavered from this point. So the so-called Baptist churches who now baptize toddlers and infants willy nilly have in fact abandoned the Baptist faith -- mainly because they found that their membership numbers were slipping if they didn't baptize members' babies into the church and count them. When they did the actual Baptist thing and waited for people to have full-fledged minds of their own so they could consciously commit themselves to the religion, they began to lose members because older kids and teenagers and young adults weren't doing it. Hence -- they picked up a "new" tradition of infant baptism, which in fact flies in the face of everything Baptist theology ever stood for. 

Frankly, even as an atheist I think the idea that you have to choose your faith yourself for it to be official and real -- not get it secondhand because the adults wetted you with it before you had any idea what was going on -- makes perfect sense. If I were a Baptist, I don't think I'd consider this a trivial argument. 

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, if you actually follow Baptist theological principles -- from time immemorial -- then believers' baptism is the only way to do it. Believing that isn't a matter of ego and a superiority complex, it's just the facts, in my opinion.

Faith is something you have to consciously opt into. That was a foundational belief of most Protestantism, actually, but most began slipping away from it early on, partly because of consternation about whether unbaptized young kids would go to hell (and despite various workarounds for that that various theologians posited). Baptists held onto the idea.

You have to choose God with your own will, heart and mind to actually be a believer, according to the Baptist faith, which has never been officially changed from that. And it's impossible for a baby or a young child to do that. Makes perfect sense to me, actually. You have to be old enough to know what you're doing.

Officially, Baptist theological principles have never wavered from this point. So the so-called Baptist churches who now baptize toddlers and infants willy nilly have in fact abandoned the Baptist faith -- mainly because they found that their membership numbers were slipping if they didn't baptize members' babies into the church and count them. When they did the actual Baptist thing and waited for people to have full-fledged minds of their own so they could consciously commit themselves to the religion, they began to lose members because older kids and teenagers and young adults weren't doing it. Hence -- they picked up a "new" tradition of infant baptism, which in fact flies in the face of everything Baptist theology ever stood for. 

Frankly, even as an atheist I think the idea that you have to choose your faith yourself for it to be official and real -- not get it secondhand because the adults wetted you with it before you had any idea what was going on -- makes perfect sense. If I were a Baptist, I don't think I'd consider this a trivial argument. 

And that is EXACTLY what confirmation is for Catholics

• Love 16

That blanket wrapped around Sam looked less like "I'm keeping him warm" and more like "Stop grabbing things, goddammit!"  It's the infant version of handcuffs.  So yeah, probably a sort of blanket training: less spoon-whacking and more simple confining.  Goes along with Izzy screaming when wrapped as a burrito; he probably was doing something Jill didn't like so she put in him restraints for a while.

• Love 15
7 minutes ago, Fosca said:

I wonder if Jill wore shoes to the Dedication service. When she actually wears shoes, she seems to favor the light blue converse type sneakers she has on in the one picture.  If she's going for comfort, why not a cute pair of Skechers or Keds that look good with a dress?  (I know fashion isn't their thing.)

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

Yes. And also for some of the mainline Protestant denominations, such as the United Church of Christ and others. 

I completely agree that putting confirmation in there is a quite reasonable way to do things! ....

But my point is that I don't think we should consider this some kind of meaningless elites-vs.-others tempest in a teapot for Baptists. Because they have a different method -- which still very much officially stands.

So it seems to me that if you're gonna call yourself a Baptist, you have to return baptism to its original place -- for people who aren't small children. And if you'd prefer the other way -- with an infant baptism and confirmation used in addition as the individual's personal choice as an informed older person -- then you have to go to another church (or convince all the Baptist theologians and churches to change their idea.) If you're going to proclaim you have a certain faith, you should know what that faith teaches and stick to it, seems to me. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12

These poor women, what did they do to deserve this? There is a picture of Jill with the woman in red on the C3 Instagram, the caption says something about how their ministry wants to reach international students around campus. I think the lady in green is a student and the other people are her parents 

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

As a fellow atheist, I'd pretty much agree with you. I was baptized int the Catholic faith, but can't say any of it particularly "stuck", even when I was very young. For that matter, I don't really see how one "chooses" to believe. You either do or you don't. I'd break my brain if I tried to force belief in a personal deity into it, but that's just me. Lots of other people simply can't fathom not believing.

1 hour ago, JennyMominFL said:

Yes, but their actual salvation is supposed to have already been secured by the infant baptism before that point. which seems to be where the disagreement lies.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, JennyMominFL said:

Except most young people are confirmed before they're out of high school (and sometimes before high school) and would have significant parental pressure to be confirmed. Several of my friends' parents would NOT have been okay with their kids chosing not to be confirmed. 

• Love 5

I wish Jill and Derick would have at least looked like they cared about what they looked like when they were at the dedication. I may dress comfortably for church, but if there's a chance I'm going to be standing in front of everyone, I'm going to put more of an effort into what I'm wearing and I will make sure my hair is brushed.  
A Baptist church I used to go to had infant dedications and that was the first time I had seen that (and I grew up in a Baptist church). It seems to me it's more the larger, mega-churches that will do that (and I could be mistaken).   A dedication doesn't bother me as much as when a four-year-old decides to be baptized because someone has put the fear of God into them that they will go to hell if they aren't baptized immediately.  I was 12 - or 13 (yeah, I can't remember exactly) when I was baptized and truthfully, I don't think I was really ready at that time.

• Love 9

She looks positively uncomfortable in those pants. Unlike Jinger, who pretty much looked natural wearing them from the start, Jill looks as though someone has encased her in some sort of foreign substance that she can't wait to wash off. Not that she's all that worried about washing in general...probably a bad analogy there! Maybe more like a suit of armor that she doesn't even know how to move in.

• Love 12