Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

I think that "knot" on Jessa's foot is a sandal suntan mark. My daughter and I are both size 9 foot. So I didn't think Jessa's were too big! On Shopping For Shoes, Michelle stated that all the big girls wore each other's shoes so they must all have big feet.

• Love 1

Her smile looks so forced.

It's amazing how opinions vary on this picture.  To me Anna looks great.  It doesn't seem to me that her smile is forced at all and her eyes are happy.  Jessa looks OK too.  I'm over the 'hold the belly' pictures.

• Love 5

All I see in that picture is a dirty floor.  There is a crayon or something laying on the floor at the step and then there is an empty box under the sofa in the back and the hardwood steps are dusty.  Also the carpet on the steps is frayed.  I can't imagine what the rest of the house looks like.

I do think both girls look healthy. 

• Love 1

All I see in that picture is a dirty floor.  There is a crayon or something laying on the floor at the step and then there is an empty box under the sofa in the back and the hardwood steps are dusty.  Also the carpet on the steps is frayed.  I can't imagine what the rest of the house looks like.

I noticed all that stuff too.

I also noticed that the french doors in the photo are covered over with paper and there are boxes and other things blocking them.   I have no idea where those doors lead, but I wonder if that is where Josh and Anna are living ?

• Love 2

All I see in that picture is a dirty floor. There is a crayon or something laying on the floor at the step and then there is an empty box under the sofa in the back and the hardwood steps are dusty. Also the carpet on the steps is frayed. I can't imagine what the rest of the house looks like.

Jessa's standing barefoot in the exact spot where Josie Pooped Her Pants. That's what came to my mind first.

• Love 6

Her smile looks so forced.

Yes, it does. And I'm not good at picking up on things like that, so it's gotta be bad for me to see it!

Okay, Jessa.  Put that shirt away now.  I don't think it will make it another week.  It's too tight. 

But those tight shirts accentuate the pregnancy! :-/

Jessa's standing barefoot in the exact spot where Josie Pooped Her Pants. That's what came to my mind first.

With the number of kids in that house, I can't imagine there is a single spot on that floor that hasn't been pooped, puked, or peed on.

I doubt they clean often, but surely they've mopped since then.

I thought Anna looked good in the photo. I'm not sure her smile is forced in a "please don't make me take this photo" picture, so much as she just has an awkward smile in posed photos. I think she always looks like that.

• Love 1

People must be desperate. We don't care about Anna and Jessa's baby bumps. We care that Smuggar forcibly touched his sisters, and a babysitter and his idiot parents covered it up. Also, why is Anna still with him?

• Love 17
(edited)

I don't know if we can gauge how Anna feels based on a picture. I'm as pregnant as she is, and despite my being told by total strangers that I'm "all belly" and look oh-so-cute, it's July, I'm hot, and there's still an extra 40 pounds on my frame and a bowling ball on my bladder. They mean well, but I'm feeling punchy.

She might feel fine, and the grimace could be a bad picture, OR she's understandably uncomfortable.

Either way, I wish for her a safe delivery and healthy child. My own OB is careful not to let babies go too far post-term;I hope she's getting equally good, legit prenatal care. It shouldn't be some kind of luxury, despite my feelings about her husband and in-laws.

Edited by Pixie Chicken
  • Love 11

Either way, I wish for her a safe delivery and healthy child. My own OB is careful not to let babies go too far post-term;I hope she's getting equally good, legit prenatal care. It shouldn't be some kind of luxury, despite my feelings about her husband and in-laws.

These are the same bunch of people who saw meconium with Israel and thought "meh, no big deal."

• Love 8

These are the same bunch of people who saw meconium with Israel and thought "meh, no big deal."

I know, and it makes me sad. I really hope she's seeing a doctor who has some sense, and not a lay person.

HFC, I'm a few days behind Anna. Due tomorrow.

• Love 5

I hope Anna doesn't go much longer before popping out M4.  There is no telling what type of care she is getting now that she is back in  Duggarland.  

My first (over 20 years ago) was the size of Izzy and I was only a few days late.  I took castor oil because so many relatives talked about how it was routinely used way back when.  Yes, labor started and I went to the hospital.  After a few hours, the doctor told me I had the meconium problem and recommend a c-section.  I didn't argue for one moment.  I was actually terrified of childbirth.  

I often wondered if the castor oil caused the situation.  If I had the internet back then, I probably would have not taken it.  I know people still do but it seems to be a bit of a concern and a debatable subject.  Not condemning anyone that does.

Don't want to see Anna in the same situation as Jill. I really hope she has a qualified person on board for this delivery because I agree that M4 does NOT want to enter Duggarland.  Can anyone blame her?

• Love 4

I read feet and those with long toes (Sometimes!)tend to be less honest than those with shorter toes. (Of course there can be exceptions and I have no degree to prove my point).  Also, when the second toe is as long or longer than the big toe that person will be the boss in their family and tends to be dishonest.  Looks like Jessa, in my feet reading opinion, will be the actual boss in her family and may do a little more than stretch the truth now and then. 

Besides that why do they have to hold their pregnant stomachs in every picture?  They're not the only people who have ever gotten pregnant and we would all actually notice without it being held out for us.  

• Love 3

The poses in that are pic are Pinterest Poses...they both also have Pinterest Hair.  Anna has a Pinterest French pedicure .

They have ruined knit maxi-skirts for me forever....hate.

I think Jessa's skirt has a side-entry pocket with a huge-ass button on it. At first I thought it was a little North-South pocket with a condom hanging out.

They do look sorta cute...but where are the Pinterest Chalkboards? ...with Jessa's saying how many minutes pregnant she is and Anna's saying "overdue".

• Love 4

The poses in that are pic are Pinterest Poses...they both also have Pinterest Hair.  Anna has a Pinterest French pedicure .

They have ruined knit maxi-skirts for me forever....hate.

I think Jessa's skirt has a side-entry pocket with a huge-ass button on it. At first I thought it was a little North-South pocket with a condom hanging out.

They do look sorta cute...but where are the Pinterest Chalkboards? ...with Jessa's saying how many minutes pregnant she is and Anna's saying "overdue".

Jill took all the chalkboards with her...

• Love 11
(edited)

I think that "knot" on Jessa's foot is a sandal suntan mark.

Or it could be one of the bones in the instep. I have "knots" at that spot on my feet, and it's just a pair of bones that protrude more than they do on some people, combined with having not much muscle or fat in that area.

Edited by Churchhoney

This is the Josh and Anna thread.

It is not a thread about toes, or even Jessa's toes (which would go in the Benessa thread). Please stay on topic.

Thanks!

• Love 3

I noticed all that stuff too.

I also noticed that the french doors in the photo are covered over with paper and there are boxes and other things blocking them.   I have no idea where those doors lead, but I wonder if that is where Josh and Anna are living ?

No, the guest house is a different building, but rumor has it that they're already staying at the new place. The French doors lead to the game room. I bet THAT place is truly a sty.

• Love 2

The payoff for a child molester is the action itself and in getting away with it. He lords his secret over his victim, comfortable in having secured their silence, but exists in a state of constant fear of being revealed. 

You have no idea how much I wish I could be there, watching you bitch-slapping Josh with this message. You must have been simmering this priceless jewel for awhile! I want you as a prosecutor in my county!!!

I went back and re read the shortest sentence in there about 15 times...

The payoff for a child molester is the action itself and in getting away with it.

The payoff for a child molester is the action itself and in getting away with it.

That is the saddest commentary in the history of EVER.

• Love 9

(Both quotes are from Missy Vixen - thank you so much for your observations !)

First, kudos to your phrase "social repugnance scale"- that really resonated with me when it comes to forgiveness and the occasional inability to do so. I've readily forgiven the young boy who, in his youth and immaturity, pushed my sister off her bike onto a rusty piece of metal. Tetanus shot, lots of blood, and 14 stitches. All's fair in love and play, so to speak, and we all got over it. I have not, however, forgiven the creepy, dispicable old fuck who molested her, long may he rot in his grave and enjoy standing in the lunch line with Hitler and Bundy. Hope you like your Tator Tots with a side of vengeance, you twisted son of a bitch. My heart is hard and black when it comes to you, and I'm perfectly comfortable with it.

I think that this is a very important point. A lot of people have pointed out that in fundie-land a sin is a sin, and there is no gradation of "wrong," but in society as a whole there is. 

I'm no theologian, but it is my understanding that Christ counseled victims to forgive for the benefit of their own souls. If I forgive someone who has wronged me, that is something I do for myself, and it doesn't naturally follow that everyone else should forgive that person as well, simply because I have.

If someone robs me, and I choose to forgive that person, then the burden of anger and bitterness is lifted off of me. It doesn't mean that my neighbors don't want the person arrested and put in jail -- of course they do. We prosecute people and send them to jail for the good of the community as a whole, and it has nothing to do with anyone's personal theology.

I think that's the part that so many of the leg-humpers miss when they insist that the girls have forgiven Josh, so it's all water under the bridge.

• Love 20

Right now there is a possible lawsuit pending against Josh. He'd be a fool to say ANYTHING. Even if he were truly repentant, that would be fodder for taking him for anything he has. That's the way the system works.

His parents and sisters were foolish for doing interviews. Yes, I realize it looks worse because he doesn't ask for mercy and forgiveness, but if there is ANY chance someone will sue you, in today's world you repeat that you did NOTHING wrong. There simply isn't really another way to handle it in public.

• Love 7

Right now there is a possible lawsuit pending against Josh. He'd be a fool to say ANYTHING. Even if he were truly repentant, that would be fodder for taking him for anything he has. That's the way the system works.

His parents and sisters were foolish for doing interviews. Yes, I realize it looks worse because he doesn't ask for mercy and forgiveness, but if there is ANY chance someone will sue you, in today's world you repeat that you did NOTHING wrong. There simply isn't really another way to handle it in public.

Yes, exactly. A client running to the media to apologize or justify is a lawyer's worst nightmare.

• Love 3
(edited)

This is an interesting point. I'm inclined to agree with it because, of course, it is the way the system works. But doesn't it really depend on what your highest value is? If your highest value is self-protection, which it certainly is for most of us animals-with-consciousness, then, yes, this is how you handle it..

But if your highest value truly is living the most godly and virtuous and spiritual life possible, then where should self protection -- and protection of your cash -- rank among the factors that shape your behavior? Shouldn't it rank well behind justice, honesty, true repentance, mercy and generosity toward others, willingness to shoulder the consequences of one's own actions and the desire to be the best example of the moral life that you can?

It strikes me as sort of similar to civil disobedience, where your relationship to the law is quite different than it would be under ordinary circumstances. You willingly take the punishment for an illegal action because your aim is higher than the simple calculus of the law involved. Did Jesus go with the self-protection option before the legal authorities?

Not that I would really expect Josh (or any Duggar) to take the highest road. But when the stated goal of someone's life is to bring a higher standard of morality to the world -- including into the civil laws of this world, and he's taken many concrete steps to do that when it comes to other people's behaviors, isn't it fair to ask whether it really is okay and fully understandable for him to then just operate in "the system" in the same old self-protective way, when it comes to his own actions? Isn't it possible that to truly heal and help those victims, some kind of serious and potentially publicly acknowledged reparations by the perpetrator actually would be required? And aren't you actually supposed to be "a fool for Christ" when it comes to your interactions with the world?

I realize that this sounds terribly naive. But I do wonder whether we wouldn't be better off if even a few of us acted in accordance with the bigger picture this way. I know the Duggars' bigger picture is different -- Jesus has forgiven Josh, so the law is as nothing compared to that. But that really sounds like rationalization to me. And if Jesus really was your highest and constant example, would you rationalize this way?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11

To expand on SomePity's post... Jim Bob and Michelle feel that Josh has been adequately punished by repenting in front of the Church elders and doing construction work. They don't care about "secular" punishment because they are Gothardites first, Christians second, and law abiding citizens third (in their own minds). They only cared about how their cult would perceive Josh's actions. It was far more important for them to address this with their cult rather than doing it the "secular" way by reporting it to police and getting the state to intervene. I think it had a lot to do with earning brownie points with the Cult. "See what good Christians we are! We handled this the Biblical way. The RIGHT way!" It says a lot about their priorties in life . Jim Bob and Michelle absolutely feel no regret for their actions.

I hope they rot in hell.

• Love 7

I don't think SomeP meant literally "where is Josh this very minute".

My sideways brain thought she meant during the interviews, when he was allowing his victims and his parents to speak for him. To try and whitewash and minimize the actions as if he were a 5 year old little at this moment. The fact is, he's a GROWN man with grown up man responsibilities. And his MOMMY went public for him.

Now, at this point, yes- Josh must be silent. The time for him to speak has passed. It never would have benefitted him to speak, we (the public) wouldn't have respected him one iota more and we'd still be ripping his words apart. And the victim who's apparently not so much "ok with it" almost certainly would gain traction if he spoke out. So, yeah. Silence is his best asset, however unfortunately.

It's just that he has forever shown himself to be "La-aaa-am-Bert the sheepish lion" by letting his victims and his parents go public.

• Love 5

I'm not sure Josh had any choice about his parents and sisters doing the interviews. I actually think Josh is fairly intelligent, and probably picked up a few savvy things living in DC. If anything, he asked them not to. But in their minds, he's brought nothing but disgrace upon them, why would they listen to him?

And I care about victims and reconciliation, but not if it means the destruction of my own family, who also didn't do anything wrong.

(And by his family I mean Anna and his children. Not the Duggars as a whole.)

• Love 2

I'm not sure Josh had any choice about his parents and sisters doing the interviews. I actually think Josh is fairly intelligent, and probably picked up a few savvy things living in DC. If anything, he asked them not to. But in their minds, he's brought nothing but disgrace upon them, why would they listen to him?

And I care about victims and reconciliation, but not if it means the destruction of my own family, who also didn't do anything wrong.

(And by his family I mean Anna and his children. Not the Duggars as a whole.)

Or in Jim Bob's mind, he thinks he knows better. I really don't think Josh had any control over them. I certainly don't think he asked them to go try and do spin interviews.

Josh did it all right when the news first broke. If they had retained that PR firm and kept JB and Michelle off the interview circuit, they'd be in a better position now, and not just from a civil suit perspective.

• Love 2

Josh actually admitted to a great deal in his resignation, I thought. The language was vague, by there was no mistaking that he was taking responsibility for it, and he lost his really great job and lifestyle in DC over it. Maybe I'm just completely jaded, but that isn't, to me, exactly the lowest road.

• Love 2

Is that the same one as the "I made a mistake and I'm real sorry about it and Jesus forgave me and the most important thing is that I stopped before it ruined my life"?

• Love 9

He also said he "acted inexcusably" and "hurt others including friends and family." He apologized publicly. If you've read the report as closely as we all have, he basically affirms it almost word for word. Yes, that includes the forgiveness stuff, but it's admitting he did it in the first place, too.

(Again, given the world we live in, to me, that's not the low road. So he's not acting like a martyr, but we don't know that anyone has asked him to, honestly.).

• Love 5

Well, that's good. Honestly the only thing that I still clearly remember from Josh's statement is the whole "I stopped before I ruined my life" line, which was pretty much all I needed to see. But yes, at least somewhere in there is some awareness that he has hurt others. Though I hope the "hurt" he's referring to is the hurt he caused the molestation victims, and not the hurt he caused Jim Bob by getting the show pulled.

• Love 4
(edited)

To expand on SomePity's post... Jim Bob and Michelle feel that Josh has been adequately punished by repenting in front of the Church elders and doing construction work. They don't care about "secular" punishment because they are Gothardites first, Christians second, and law abiding citizens third (in their own minds). They only cared about how their cult would perceive Josh's actions. It was far more important for them to address this with their cult rather than doing it the "secular" way by reporting it to police and getting the state to intervene. I think it had a lot to do with earning brownie points with the Cult. "See what good Christians we are! We handled this the Biblical way. The RIGHT way!" It says a lot about their priorties in life . Jim Bob and Michelle absolutely feel no regret for their actions.

I hope they rot in hell.

Yeah, I think it was that -- plus Jim Bob's concern for, first, his political career and later, when that was belly up, his -- and Josh's -- budding careers as teevee stars. Which to me makes it even more hellworthy.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2