Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

36 minutes ago, Dianaofthehunt said:

How did a marginal (at best) publication like The Sun get first dibs on this trial?
How come Rachel Maddow and other real news outlets don’t cover it?
My husband opines it’s because legit news sources aren’t interested in what is essentially hillbilly news.

I don't think that the Sun had first dibs, exactly. From what I can tell, though, it doesn't sound as if anyone in the courthouse has assigned any specific order to the reporters who are there, who seem to be a mix of tabloids (The Sun, People) and various local reporters and apparently one person with the Associated Press.

The Sun is posting updates faster than the other sources, but....they seem to have less interest in accuracy, and the other sources are also carefully obeying the "no electronics in the courtroom" stuff which the Sun hasn't always been doing. 

Also, at least some legit news sources are interested in it/covering it (The New York Times, The Hill, CBS News, etc), but it looks like they are just relying on the local reports/the AP instead of sending someone else, presumably to save money.  And in this particular case, to spare them the trouble of trying to figure out which Duggar is which.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 17
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

It's a lot of material to digest and go over. It's not a bad sign that they didnt reach a decision. Still makes me "unreasonably" nervous.

I agree. It's easier for us because some of us have been obsessing over following the Duggars since that first special. We were there when the molestation was first introduced and we've had years to assimilate that information with the Duggar's self-proclaimed godliness. The biggest shock to many of us was the graphic nature of the images. The jury has those images, a man who looks like them being accused, and a lot of technical jargon to understand and judge. It's not as black and white to them as it is to us.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

If it's a hung jury, I'm assuming the feds will retry him.  But is that certain?  What are the chances that they don't retry him?

What does a hung jury actually mean?  Can they retry him for the same crimes? TIA

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

If it's a hung jury, I'm assuming the feds will retry him.  But is that certain?  What are the chances that they don't retry him?

I was listening to an attorney on YouTube.  If it's 11 guilty, 1 not guilty they would be more likely to retry than if it's 11 innocent 1 guilty.

With that said this is the Feds and they don't mess around!

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Namaste said:

What does a hung jury actually mean?  Can they retry him for the same crimes? TIA

A jury has to be unanimous.  If one of more are not in agreement it's a hung jury.

Yes they can retry if there's a hung jury.  Up to the Prosecutor to decide.

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

No one likes waiting but it is good that the jurors are weighing the evidence. As much as we are expecting a guilty verdict, Josh Duggar deserves his day in court. If I were on trial, I would want a thoughtful jury. I think it is good for the victims/family too to see that the jury is carefully considering the charges.

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

A jury has to be unanimous.  If one of more are not in agreement it's a hung jury.

yes they can retry.  Up to the Prosecutor to decide.

Thank you for responding. So, theoretically, could prosecutors keep retrying a hung jury case until they get a verdict? 

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The lawyer I was listening to said not to worry. This is common to go home and come back with a fresh mind tomorrow. Now if it goes beyond tomoy, I will start to worry. 

If it’s mid-day Friday, then I’ll start worrying. Until then, all the Veruca-Salting in the world about wanting a verdict NOW isn’t going to do any of us any good. And yes, I said that to myself as I was starting to stomp my feet. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 16
2 minutes ago, Namaste said:

Thank you for responding. So, theoretically, could prosecutors keep retrying a hung jury case until they get a verdict? 

Remember the book and movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil about the murder of Danny Handsford by a prominent Savannah Ga antique dealer? Mr. Williams was tried 4 times for murder. First 3 trials ended in a hung jury. He was found not guilty on the 4th trial. And 8 months after being found not guilty he dropped dead in his mansion almost in the same spot that Danny Hansford was shot. Karma?

• Love 14
4 minutes ago, Namaste said:

In theory, yes.

In practice, it depends on whether or not the prosecution thinks it's worthwhile to retry the case.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, hathorlive said:

I don't know if I'll ever be able to look at a router again without thinking it's defrauding me.

I locked the door on the room where the router resides.  I guess I can never trust it again.  Although that could be a nice feature if they had all the promise, power, and data Ms. Michele thinks they hold.

• LOL 21
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

I predict on 12/9/21, at 10:01am, the jury will deliver a healthy happy verdict, named, J'guilty.

I read this like Eleanor Shellstrop saying "YA BASIC!" In my head that's how they deliver the verdict to this creep.

• LOL 20
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I locked the door on the room where the router resides.  I guess I can never trust it again.

I'm afraid to even touch mine. 😡

• LOL 18

Given everything that happened today outside of just deliberating--picking a jury foreman/woman, possibly taking a preliminary vote, organizing the evidence and how to attack it, viewing the video, and probably ordering and eating lunch--I didn't expect a verdict today. I won't feel panicky unless they end tomorrow without a decision, and even then I still think it's ultimately a guilty verdict. 

• Love 17
41 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Remember the book and movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil about the murder of Danny Handsford by a prominent Savannah Ga antique dealer? Mr. Williams was tried 4 times for murder. First 3 trials ended in a hung jury. He was found not guilty on the 4th trial. And 8 months after being found not guilty he dropped dead in his mansion almost in the same spot that Danny Hansford was shot. Karma?

That was the first thing I thought of when reading that post, too.

The book was fabulous, as was the documentary Midnight in Savannah.  The movie, not so much.  Although Kevin Spacey looked and sounded so much like the real Jim Williams that it was eerie.  He might be a trash human being, but he is/was a helluva actor.

3 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

The bigger question is would JB pay for lawyers for another trial?

That was my query earlier today.  He's enough of a skinflint that, combined with everything that came to light during the trial, he might push for a plea.

No telling how much more the Feds could come up getting a second bite of the apple.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Stacey1014 said:

The bigger question is would JB pay for lawyers for another trial?

If not, Smuggar gets a public defender. "You have the right to an attorney; if you cannot afford one, one will be appointed for you." He'd have had a public defender this time if not for Jim Bob paying for his attorneys. 

• Love 15
31 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Jury is probably still deliberating because they haven’t made it through Michelle Bush’s 100 page forensics report yet. 

Shit, I completely forgot about that novella being part of the evidence.  If at least one juror chooses to read that in its entirety, deliberations could last awhile.

• Love 7
57 minutes ago, coconspirator said:

Given everything that happened today outside of just deliberating--picking a jury foreman/woman, possibly taking a preliminary vote, organizing the evidence and how to attack it, viewing the video, and probably ordering and eating lunch--I didn't expect a verdict today. I won't feel panicky unless they end tomorrow without a decision, and even then I still think it's ultimately a guilty verdict. 

Also we have to keep in mind that jurors are regular people and this jury is not fully sequestered. Some of the jurors might have had to pick up their kids or do other ordinary life things. A jury is not always going to be able to stay late to deliberate. 

• Love 12

Okay y’all, I mentioned the router situation to both my husband and son (adult).  They each looked at me as though I had a second head.  Therefore I explained the case briefly and that this was the defense witness’s argument.  Husband rolled his eyes and son put his head in his palm 😂.   Might have told them that my expectation is that they check with router the next time I run into an issue.   

• LOL 10
  • Love 6

As far as the deliberation needing more time, I was on a jury once for a possession of meth charge, and we took over 2 hours to deliberate.  This is a much more serious crime than possession of meth, so it's going to take longer.  It's hard to get 12 people to agree on something in a short period of time.  They go through every "what if" with a fine toothed comb.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Just had confirmation from an attorney who has followed the paper trail on this case that CPS did indeed attempt to interview the kids, but both Smuganna declined. They basically said it was because they didn't trust the agency. 

eta The attorney went on to say that if Smuggar is convicted, Anna has no choice. CPS will interview the kids.

Do you have a link to the attorney discussing this? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, greenturtle36 said:

As far as the deliberation needing more time, I was on a jury once for a possession of meth charge, and we took over 2 hours to deliberate.  This is a much more serious crime than possession of meth, so it's going to take longer.  It's hard to get 12 people to agree on something in a short period of time.  They go through every "what if" with a fine toothed comb.

Mr. Mistake was once on a jury that deliberated for two days on a misdemeanor shoplifting charge. Apparently 11 of them wanted to convict, and the sole holdout was a lady whose reason for wanting to acquit was that she didn’t trust the police because she lived next door to a police officer once and the runoff from his roof during a hurricane flooded her garage. People are strange.

I don’t think there’s any way that a replay of Josh’s interview helps Josh. I think there are a lot of technical details in this case and it might take the jury a while to sort through the testimony. This is a good thing. We want juries to be thorough.

• Love 22
3 hours ago, Namaste said:

Well...I'm thinking they could but trials are very expensive and consuming to the court system so I'm not sure how far they would or could go.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

So tomorrow only the jury reports to court correct? We won't see Josh, lawyers, family unless a verdict is reached. Is that right?

The jury are the only ones required to be there.  Anyone else is allowed to hang out in the courthouse and wait for the court to announce that a verdict has been reached.  Technically, the prosecution and defense attorneys as well as the defendant need to wait someplace where they can return to the courthouse for the reading of the verdict in a reasonable period of time.  There's a reason why many criminal defense attorneys have offices that are fairly close to the courthouse.  Presumably, the defense including Josh, will wait at Travis Story's office and someone from the court will contact them when the verdict is reached so they can return to court to hear it announced.

• Useful 7
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Namaste said:

all 12 have to agree  if  they have even 1 hold out that will  not change their mind it is called a hung jury and the case is dismissed  because the jury will  never agree  ..

usually  there ends up being a 2nd trial

• Love 2
3 hours ago, coconspirator said:

Agreed.  It's okay to have questions.  I respect a jury that says "we want to review this".  We have to trust the system. I know there have been major disappointments with OJ and Casey but those were different trials.  The evidence is overwhelming in this case.  JB paid for a defense and he got one.  It will be interesting to see if this case can be appealed, because St. Louis lawyer pulled every freaking rabbit out of the hat he was given.  He did so many motions that I'm surprised he didn't get in trouble with the judge.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

Agreed.  It's okay to have questions.  I respect a jury that says "we want to review this".  We have to trust the system. I know there have been major disappointments with OJ and Casey but those were different trials.  The evidence is overwhelming in this case.  JB paid for a defense and he got one.  It will be interesting to see if this case can be appealed, because St. Louis lawyer pulled every freaking rabbit out of the hat he was given.  He did so many motions that I'm surprised he didn't get in trouble with the judge.  

I think he came close a couple of times.  The judge was even less impressed with the Homeland Security motion than most people here were, and he apparently got distinctly annoyed on Monday when the defense started trying to argue about the cell phones again instead of moving ahead to discuss whether or not the prior molestations could be admitted as evidence.

• Useful 6
  • Love 4