Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

I kind of hate the subtext of these sorts of organizations, which is that it's somehow unChristian to get actual health insurance. I have never gotten this particular line of thinking. At all.

There's also the Russian Roulette aspect to these Christian healthcare groups.  Most of these people think it is sinful to go to Vegas to play blackjack or slots, but it is apparently perfectly godly and moral to gamble on healthcare for your family.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Applause 5
  • Love 11
16 minutes ago, Notabug said:

There's also the Russian Roulette aspect to these Christian healthcare groups.  Most of these people think it is sinful to go to Vegas to play blackjack or slots, but it is apparently perfectly godly and moral to gamble on healthcare for your family.

And how many medical facilities will give patients multiple expensive diagnostic tests when they’re self pay (as Jessa mentioned)? Is she trying to convince us that she paid for all of Spurgeon’s testing and treatment out of pocket and is waiting to be reimbursed?

• Like 5
  • Love 3

I think this is how these programs work.  You tell billing you are self pay to get a lower rate.  Then you submit the bills and the "company" is supposed to reimburse.  If they don't pay the entire bill--at least you got the cash rate.  I don't know if they tell billing they have no insurance, or if they say they have this program.  I'm guessing they say they don't have insurance.  This is not the way I would like to live regarding my or my family's health care.  It does not seem very honest.

Edited by CalicoKitty
typo
  • Like 4
  • Useful 8
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

I think this is how these programs work.  You tell billing your are self pay to get a lower rate.  Then you submit the bills and the "company" is supposed to reimburse.  If they don't pay the entire bill--at least you got the cash rate.  I don't know if they tell billing they have no insurance, or if they say they have this program.  I'm guessing they say they don't have insurance.  This is not the way I would like to live regarding my or my family's health care.  It does not seem very honest.

How many facilities will allow patients to get multiple expensive diagnostic tests without insurance or some form of payment at the time of service? The ER is different, obviously.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Also, they pay for Jessa's shit because she's "somebody" in the fundie world and they want her endorsement. Jessa doesn't see that just because they paid for her bills doesn't mean they'll pay everyone;s.

I’m not surprised Jessa chose that route to insure her family. Let’s face it, Ben had no input whatsoever. I’m more surprised with Jeremy and Kelton. Kelton is running a successful business and is skimping on his family’s health care? Are all his employees like minded and do not expect the employer to subsidize part of the health insurance? 

• Like 3
  • Love 4
31 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

Also, they pay for Jessa's shit because she's "somebody" in the fundie world and they want her endorsement. Jessa doesn't see that just because they paid for her bills doesn't mean they'll pay everyone;s.

Or Jessa does realize that they don’t pay everyone’s bills, but doesn’t give a fuck.

• Like 16
  • Love 4

Discussing Jessa's families health insurance choices is fine, but let's keep in the spirit of the LONG ESTABLISHED Politics Policy as well as the letter. If your post can open the door to a political discussion, it does not belong in the thread. This is not a warning simply a reminder of the rules. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, skatelady said:

Reaching for goldfish crackers. And then fell asleep while clutching them. 

Wouldn't that series of actions cause Jessa's mothering instinct to kick in and then she'd swoop in and save the day? I don't understand what went wrong!

• LOL 15
On 10/27/2022 at 6:03 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I think this is how these programs work.  You tell billing you are self pay to get a lower rate.  Then you submit the bills and the "company" is supposed to reimburse.  If they don't pay the entire bill--at least you got the cash rate.  I don't know if they tell billing they have no insurance, or if they say they have this program.  I'm guessing they say they don't have insurance.  This is not the way I would like to live regarding my or my family's health care.  It does not seem very honest.

I believe Samaritan Ministries specifically tells all of its members that it is their responsibility to contact the billing office of the facility and/or practitioners and request a discount.  If they qualify financially, that makes it easy; but SM expects them to explain that they are the right kind of Christians and they are in a co-op type agreement with other good Christians and request a discount or even free care on that basis.  After that, they can submit their claim.  I haven't seen their claims forms, but wouldn't be surprised if they expected their clients to provide documentation that they'd begged for free care and, if rejected, begged for a substantial discount.

Samaritan Ministries and other similar Ponzi schemes specifically tell all of their members that they are NOT an insurance plan and that they do not accept claims submitted from anyone other than the client themselves and they will not pay any third parties directly.  That way, when their clients tell the hospital they don't have insurance and ask for a write-off, they are technically telling the truth.  There are also a lot of laws pertaining to insurance companies, how they are run, how they serve their customers and even federal agencies to whom complaints can be directed.  By not calling themselves insurance companies, these co-ops don't have to live by the rules of the industry.

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 11
On 10/27/2022 at 6:10 PM, Cinnabon said:

How many facilities will allow patients to get multiple expensive diagnostic tests without insurance or some form of payment at the time of service? The ER is different, obviously.

If it's an emergency, it's covered by EMTALA and the service is performed without regards to ability to pay.  However, you're correct, before performing expensive testing like CT scans or MRI's; the hospital will request the patient's insurance information and verify that the patient is in good standing with the plan.  Insurance companies don't guarantee payment prior to services being rendered, however; so, even if a patient has insurance coverage that includes services for things like MRI's, that does not guarantee payment for that specific MRI.  Hospital billing services deal with the major health insurance carriers enough to know which ones are sticklers about certain charges and how best to code for payment; so they often ca predict if something will be paid or not; but the insurance company is not required to guarantee it up front.

If there is no insurance for the specific procedure, the business office of the facility or practitioner will get in touch with the patient, let them know, tell them what the charge will be and offer financial assistance if they qualify.  If they don't, it is up to the patient to figure out how to pay; but, in the case of big ticket items, payment when services are rendered is the usual expectation.  The patient can put it on a credit card or write a check, but they will need to pay then and there.  Over the years, I've had more than a few patients who were referred for MRI's, usually after a different radiology exam yield confusing results and the radiologist recommended it, and the insurance refused to authorize the test and the patient didn't have the means or desire to pay out of pocket so it didn't get done.

It happens more than you realize that someone who thinks they have very good health insurance coverage discovers that there is some big ticket item that their insurance is not going to cover.  MRI's, for example, require prior authorization from the insurance before they can be performed.  If the hospital doesn't get prior auth, the insurance won't pay for it, ever, even if it was medically necessary and the hospital will probably have to eat most, if not all, of the cost.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 2
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

The classic rock radio station that I listen to advertises this everyday.

That's not smart targeted advertising. Most people listening to classic rock are of a certain age and most likely have pre-existing conditions. This outfit claims they will cover you if the conditions are "controlled." Will they also pay for the meds to control high blood pressure, diabetes, et al?

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

She gave him the same awful cut (I don't know what to call it) that she gave the boys. It looks horrible on all of them. 

Plus it looks like she tried to make it curly like the boys too. He probably doesn’t care, all the more reason to wear his Amish hat!

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Jessa is making him unattractive so he won’t cheat.

That would mean she would have to admit she can give an unattractive haircut, which she is incapable of realizing. I also don't think she could fathom Ben cheating on her perfect self.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
On 10/28/2022 at 8:00 AM, BetyBee said:

Wouldn't that series of actions cause Jessa's mothering instinct to kick in and then she'd swoop in and save the day? I don't understand what went wrong!

She was raised by Michelle who also has a deficient mothering instinct. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 10
On 10/29/2022 at 6:48 AM, GeeGolly said:

Oh no, Jessa must be cutting Ben's hair again. Good thing he has a long forehead.

image.png.d51e33155a743df027acfbecf8a74f89.pngimage.png.acc528802690802269ba9b7ec5d6c137.png

He can't even pretend to look happy when he looks at Jessa -- maybe he's just pissed about the haircut.

Maybe he said something like he didn't like the haircut and wanted to go to a professional, and Jessa said "I'll post a picture on SM and see what my followers have to say." Then she'll get a bunch of "Likes" from humpers and tell him "see, it's a great haircut."

• Sad 5
  • Love 3

Oh no, Jessa must be cutting Ben's hair again. Good thing he has a long forehead.

image.png.d51e33155a743df027acfbecf8a74f89.pngimage.png.acc528802690802269ba9b7ec5d6c137.png

Ben looks different to me. Maybe I haven’t seen a recent photo of him lately. Now that I know that’s certainly him, but if they had captioned that photo that he was a Seewald cousin I would’ve gone “oh yeah”. 

Maybe he’s just tired. 

On 10/29/2022 at 11:51 AM, Salacious Kitty said:

She gave him the same awful cut (I don't know what to call it) that she gave the boys. It looks horrible on all of them. 

I don’t care for the hair cut either. But short hair grows out pretty quickly thank goodness- if Ben hates it, he won’t be stuck with it past Christmas. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Did Jessa ever divulge what happened to Spurge?  I recently was in an ER where there was a young boy.  He had apparently fallen and banged his head and the parents wanted him checked out.  The was running around just fine ,in fact I didnt know he was the patient.  The doctor gave him a good exam, and said he had no symptoms of effects from the fall and that because there were no symptoms, he would not recommend a CAT scan because of the child's age and the amount of radiation involved in the test.  I found that interesting and a thoughtful approach, thinking long range.  So if Spurge did have the scan maybe he did have side effects.  The poor kid, he must have been scared to death and his mom has a camera in his face instead of comforting him.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, jacourt said:

The poor kid, he must have been scared to death and his mom has a camera in his face instead of comforting him.  

Yes that's the part that really stands out to me.

I know a couple whose child was recently diagnosed with cancer, and they post updates from where they are getting her chemo for the next couple of months. But the pictures they do post of her in the hospital are clearly ones where she's been asked if she feels like having her picture taken and has agreed to it. They're not taking pictures of her during treatments or when she's in pain or terrified and sometimes there aren't any pictures of her for a while. I'm personally not a fan of posting pics of kids online, but if you are going to do it, there is a way to do so that still respects your child. (And doesn't involve the faux privacy of hiding their faces that actually just calls more attention to the child.)

Jessa doesn't care because she was never respected as a child, but she's not self-aware enough to reconsider how she was treated and stop doing it to her own kids. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 7
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, Zella said:

Yes that's the part that really stands out to me.

I know a couple whose child was recently diagnosed with cancer, and they post updates from where they are getting her chemo for the next couple of months. But the pictures they do post of her in the hospital are clearly ones where she's been asked if she feels like having her picture taken and has agreed to it. They're not taking pictures of her during treatments or when she's in pain or terrified and sometimes there aren't any pictures of her for a while. I'm personally not a fan of posting pics of kids online, but if you are going to do it, there is a way to do so that still respects your child. (And doesn't involve the faux privacy of hiding their faces that actually just calls more attention to the child.)

That's really great of the parents'. 

Jessa doesn't care because she was never respected as a child, but she's not self-aware enough to reconsider how she was treated and stop doing it to her own kids. 

That's the part I don't understand. I really don't think Jessa or most of the kids liked it when their parents did that to them growing up. But then she does it to her own kids.

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

From what Michelle has said in the past she did give the kids choices about filming. Not any real choices, but choices none the less, that would make the kids think they had some.

I also think many of the kids enjoyed the film crew, filming and of course the perks and adoration.

Let me add, I think they were exploited, but I'm not sure any or all of them think that. Well except maybe Jinger, if we're to believe what she said.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Perhaps Ivy and Fern will be grateful they "must" have long hair. They avoid the Mom Cut.

• LOL 13

Jessa's children do not understand what consent is, so they cannot give it. Jessa is no better than her parents filming Jason (Or whichever J boy that was) falling through the orchestra pit, or Josie being in the NICU. Nothing is private with these people. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 15
  • Applause 5

Considering Ben's sartorial choices, odds are good who chose that haircut, bless his heart.

2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That's the part I don't understand. I really don't think Jessa or most of the kids liked it when their parents did that to them growing up. But then she does it to her own kids.

It baffles me, too. Jessa's whole deal never stops bewildering me, considering she was always the one with the remarks making it clear she saw through a lot of the bullshit.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

Jessa's children do not understand what consent is, so they cannot give it. Jessa is no better than her parents filming Jason (Or whichever J boy that was) falling through the orchestra pit, or Josie being in the NICU. Nothing is private with these people. 

But what else does she know how to do? Thanks to the SOTDRT she knows nothing and thanks to the cult she was raised in, she has no skills.

• Like 6
  • Sad 11
10 hours ago, ozziemom said:

But what else does she know how to do? Thanks to the SOTDRT she knows nothing and thanks to the cult she was raised in, she has no skills.

Plus, cameras = monetization.

Cameras are how her parents got a huge free house (albeit a tin one) and a whole lot of guest-speaking fees, free trips and invitations to MOTY events. I expect the TeeVee boosted JB's businesses in numerous ways.

Now, with Jessa, maybe they represent this consciously -- or only subconsciously. But somewhere in the back of her mind, cameras are the family business..

And I doubt she'll ever question that for a second. Her family is the only influence she's ever had or ever plans to have (since I think she's kind of a fearful person who'll always try to stay well inside her comfort zone.). So family traditions will reign in her mind forever, uness some truly huge event shakes them.  (and they do bring in what I'd guess is a hefty share of the famliy income now.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 6
  • Love 11
21 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't see how Ben can be getting any salary from that church. The congregation is tiny, and what little money they collect from the parishoners probably goes to keeping the lights on.

I think it's likely that the house is his compensation. I wouldn't be surpised if Ben wasn't still "working" in some capacity for JB. I think Jessa sticks tight to the TTH because their dependence on JB gives her control in the relationship.

I think that Ben has been trying to break out for a while now, but JB has the thumscrews pretty tight.

(Brought your quote over from the Joy thread) I think at this point JB has enough going on if Jessa and Ben did their own thing he wouldn’t fight against it. Josh’s legal bills weren’t cheap and now he’s got the M kids 100% on him. 

I could see Ben wanting more independence but he has always seemed so passive. He did finish school and I’m proud of him for that, there’s no reason he couldn’t preach part time and get a full time job so he wouldn’t be beholden to JB. They have certainly had the time and Jessa’s social media income to keep the lights on. But I think it’s likely Ben wants to be comfortable (emotionally comfortable) more than he wants to be independent. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I think at this point JB has enough going on if Jessa and Ben did their own thing he wouldn’t fight against it. Josh’s legal bills weren’t cheap and now he’s got the M kids 100% on him. 

I could see Ben wanting more independence but he has always seemed so passive. He did finish school and I’m proud of him for that, there’s no reason he couldn’t preach part time and get a full time job so he wouldn’t be beholden to JB. They have certainly had the time and Jessa’s social media income to keep the lights on. But I think it’s likely Ben wants to be comfortable (emotionally comfortable) more than he wants to be independent. 

If that's the case, then they'll always be reliant on Jessa for the bulk of their income. 

• Like 7

I wonder if Jessa's open to moving any distance. 

A heckuva lot of pastors seem to get their next job by moving to another state. Arkansas has a lot of churches, but that also means everybody sees that opportunity and  looks for jobs there. So the competition could be fairly intense. 

If they're disinclined to move too far away from the TTH, then that would definitely  hamper Bin's ability to find a full-time job that pays decently and could have a future (as I'm not sure the current church does -- its profile seems to suggest that it's already had one near-death experience, which isn't a good sign).

Bin's being a dim bulb probably hampers his career trajectory, too, of course. But Jessa's beins super-unsociable and apparently not a joiner, a participator, an empathizer, a cheery person or a hard worker, let alone a leader, hampers it too, I'd expect. 

So even if Bin were career-oriented (and he may not be), a lot of factors might be limiting the extent to which he can act that way. 

And if "pastor" is his only job thought, I think he'd better get a a different -- or at least an additional -- one. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 3
  • Love 7
29 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I wonder if Jessa's open to moving any distance. 

A heckuva lot of pastors seem to get their next job by moving to another state. Arkansas has a lot of churches, but that also means everybody sees that opportunity and  looks for jobs there. So the competition could be fairly intense. 

If they're disinclined to move too far away from the TTH, then that would definitely  hamper Bin's ability to find a full-time job that pays decently and could have a future (as I'm not sure the current church does -- its profile seems to suggest that it's already had one near-death experience, which isn't a good sign).

Bin's being a dim bulb probably hampers his career trajectory, too, of course. But Jessa's beins super-unsociable and apparently not a joiner, a participator, an empathizer, a cheery person or a hard worker, let alone a leader, hampers it too, I'd expect. 

So even if Bin were career-oriented (and he may not be), a lot of factors might be limiting the extent to which he can act that way. 

And if "pastor" is his only job thought, I think he'd better get a a different one. 

I agree that Ben (and Jeremy) are definitely barking up the wrong tree with the goal of becoming a pastor. 

Religious affiliation in the US is dropping rapidly, and evangelical affiliation has dropped below that of mainline Christianity for the first time in a long time. That doesn't mean that there's no one in the pews, but the numbers aren't good, and neither of them has the skills (or the message) to turn that around.

They live in a bubble, though, that allows them to believe that this is a valid career choice, and no one seems to have clued Ben in that his poor speaking skills and dour message make him unlikely to succeed.

• Like 12
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

They live in a bubble, though, that allows them to believe that this is a valid career choice, and no one seems to have clued Ben in that his poor speaking skills and dour message make him unlikely to succeed.

Also most of the pastors I know do it as a part-time gig. Well, not even part-time. (I realize this varies by denomination.) They have full-time jobs through the week and the money they make for preaching on Sunday is a very small portion of their income. Whatever work they do with the congregation beyond that isn't compensated. 

If Ben really was interested in being a pastor, beyond the other concerns you've raised, it doesn't preclude him from pursuing another career to support himself and his family. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 6
  • Applause 3
  • Love 6