Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 hours ago, SMama said:

IIRC Jessa posted a pic of her laptop playing Fixer Upper. She wrote how much she enjoyed watching the show. Typical Duggar going around the barn bullshit. They don't watch evil TV, they stream shows Online. 

Many people under 30 do this.  It's a trend. 

19 minutes ago, floridamom said:

After divorce, the Catholic Church does allow the receiving of Communion if the parishioner is not dating another person and is still 'living as though married' . If zoomama's grandmother was dating another man, married that man, then, yes, she wouldn't have been allowed to receive communion. My own mother was church-married by her own priest-brother, divorced decades later, and was still completely welcomed in the Church as a whole member. She never dated anyone and lived by herself .

It may depend on the priest.  Some priests and churches are more legalistic than others.   It also may have to do with what years Zoomama's story took place.

To get this back on topic, I like Joy but I can't imagine her a decorator. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, zoomama said:

no, no, you misunderstood. that was meant to be just an example. i was raised catholic (but am not any more) and i personally know this much about legalism: my grandma was divorced and was not allowed to take communion for the rest of her life because of that divorce. to me, THAT is a perfectly good example of legalism.  i just simply was using it as an example, thats all, not limiting it to just that.

Sorry for the over explanation. Your grandma's situation is definitely a perfect example of legalism. Either way, old habits die hard, and I don't think Jessa understands how legalistic most of her actions are. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, awaken said:

Yes, absolutely!  I would love to see this suggested to them!  I know many "heathen" children who've donated their hair to locks of love out of a desire to help others.   

Locks of Love can't use split ends.  The Dugettes have at least 12" of fried split ends each.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Yes, but most don't then claim that they never watch the evil media, do they? I think that's the point, isn't it?

When most of us say that we don't watch tv much any more, and say we watch online (which I do as well, although I'm way over 30), we also own up to the fact that what we're watching online are the shows that the evil media, including tv networks, put out there. 

16 hours ago, drafan said:

Is she a friend of Joshley?

In his dreams, maybe. .... Maybe I underestimate his charms, but I have the strong feeling that Joshley couldn't actually land an assignation with somebody who wasn't either nuts or desperate unless that person believed they had something significant to gain by kissing and then loudly telling, like the sex-entertainment woman who knew she could get coverage in mags relevant to her job by doing it. 

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Back to Jessa - does she realize Joanna Gaines is college educated and had a pretty good career for a few years before she met Chip, decided to flip houses, and do all that. They did all that before having four kids and lucking into a TV show, too. Plus Joanna and Chip are talented and skilled at what they do. Dream on, Jessa.

I actually wonder to what extent Jessa and the other Duggarlings realize that many many other conservative Christians actually do go to college and hold jobs outside their family circles and such. I always think that surely they must know this, but then they've been raised in such a bubble and they're so incurious, that I sometimes think that maybe they don't have any idea that those things that they hold is so dangerous and unnecessary are actually very very widespread, even among people who share their actual faith beliefs. 

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I actually wonder to what extent Jessa and the other Duggarlings realize that many many other conservative Christians actually do go to college and hold jobs outside their family circles and such. I always think that surely they must know this, but then they've been raised in such a bubble and they're so incurious, that I sometimes think that maybe they don't have any idea that those things that they hold is so dangerous and unnecessary are actually very very widespread, even among people who share their actual faith beliefs. 

I've never heard or read anything about Joanna Gaines having any sort of shady or sinful past - let's put that out front. But, I do think Jessa and those types see her as some sort of prodigal daughter redemption story who came back to the fold. From everything I've heard Joanna say, she just didn't like the corporate grind and decided to do something different. 

Maybe Jessa sees Chip and Joanna as another couple with a doofy husband and more grounded wife, and she wants all their endorsements. (Chip is doofy, but he WORKS. Observe and learn, Bin.)

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Temperance said:

To get this back on topic, I like Joy but I can't imagine her a decorator. 

Joy can't even choose a decent dress to wear on a date or a hairstyle for her own wedding.  Something is seriously wrong with her. 

• Love 5
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Yes, but most don't then claim that they never watch the evil media, do they? I think that's the point, isn't it?

When most of us say that we don't watch tv much any more, and say we watch online (which I do as well, although I'm way over 30), we also own up to the fact that what we're watching online are the shows that the evil media, including tv networks, put out there. 

They have some kind of tie to HGTV, remember when they pimped that homophobe brother show, and wore their clothes? Now it's honephobes Chip and Joanna. I guess they can watch if everyone is like-bigoted.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 12

As we have discussed here in the past, just like with the wardrobe changes over the years, I think it would be much more interesting to hear from them why they seem to watch TV now, and what types of shows they do watch and how their beliefs have evolved to allow this- clearly sports games and HGTV are ok!  

I was going to say the same about Joanna going to college and having a career! I don't watch their show much, but watched a recent one where they took a trip down memory lane and talked about how they got started, going to school, previous jobs, etc. 

Plus, she wears jeans and they leave their kids with a babysitter! And Joanna goes places all by herself! 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Joy can't even choose a decent dress to wear on a date or a hairstyle for her own wedding.  Something is seriously wrong with her. 

I think she's a combination of a woman who really isn't very interested in clothes or hairstyles, ever, and then someone who was completely robbed of her agency by her upbringing.

So I guess I see the latter as the "wrong with her" part -- and she didn't cause it; it may well not even reflect on her nature; it was done to her -- and the former as not wrong at all. It's just that a woman who didn't care about clothing and hairstyles and who had and was allowed to have agency would have planned for a completely different kind of wedding and style of wedding attire than Joy was simply told to have by a family that always must do things basically the same way every time.

I expect that a Joy-with-agency would have chosen one of those park weddings or camp weddings or beach weddings (no beach around, though, fo course) where everybody dresses casually, maybe. But a person deprived of agency couldn't do that and wouldn't do that. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

I don't think it's a trend to watch a TV show on a computer and then loudly proclaim that "We don't watch TV."  That's the Duggar hypocrisy in question.  Although I admit I know one retired Conservative Jewish guy who tried telling us that and we weren't buying. 

• Love 11

I think telling the world to 'throw out your TV' like Jim Bob said on the show a few years ago; then go on to watch TV shows online is hypocritical. They're back pedaling on a lot of things like their prairie dresses...for example...didn't Michelle say that God put it on her heart to dress that way and have the girls in long petticoats...then when did God 'get back to her' and tell her it was ok to wear this modern modest stuff they wear now? Was it wrong 20 years ago for them to have dressed then as they do now?  If you watch TV shows online, you're watching TV, baby.

What does Ben do when he watches all those college football games and the cheerleaders are shown, even for a few seconds? Does he close his eyes? Does he call Jessa in the room to be his accountability partner? What does Ben do with all those beer commercials, college commercials etc?...all things they don't espouse to? They're straddling the line here and their concrete boundaries are made of paper mache' in reality. ...and the BIG ONE, why do Jim Bob and Michelle have a flat screen TV in their bedroom and that giant projection TV screen in their bus-station living room? I don't call that not watching TV, do you?

• Love 17

I doubt Jessa realizes that Joanna is college educated or that she and Chip have worked long hours and many years to get where they are today. JB and the Bros flip houses with no more knowledge or education than knowing the difference between a nail and a hammer, just like Chip! I'm sure she figures she could decorate and stage those houses with no more knowledge or education than she currently has, just like Joanna!

While Joanna may be chummy with them for publicity sake, I bet she'd be just as horrified as the rest of us to find out how uneducated and restricted the Duggar children are kept. The Gaines children go to school, play sports, and are expected to go on to college. Chip and Joanna will be thrilled to have their children work at Magnolia, but they're not going to push that as their only option.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, awaken said:

As we have discussed here in the past, just like with the wardrobe changes over the years, I think it would be much more interesting to hear from them why they seem to watch TV now, and what types of shows they do watch and how their beliefs have evolved to allow this- clearly sports games and HGTV are ok!  

I was going to say the same about Joanna going to college and having a career! I don't watch their show much, but watched a recent one where they took a trip down memory lane and talked about how they got started, going to school, previous jobs, etc. 

Plus, she wears jeans and they leave their kids with a babysitter! And Joanna goes places all by herself! 

And.....they drink alcohol!

• Love 4

I would think that the Gaines would want to distance themselves a bit from the Duggars. It can't be good for their show. I don't know why Jessa seems fixated on them as she has referred to them over and over; like she discovered penicillin or something. I think that's what the Duggars are like...they are obsessive and extreme about everything they do, don't do, think, don't think and say. I find that people who NEED strict boundaries to keep themselves in check go for these cult type religions because they need regulation and can't regulate themselves. Like her parents with their hours and hours of TV watching, then they threw away their TV...couldn't they regulate their TV watching? No. Jessa can't keep herself away from Chip and Joanna. She's going to ruin their brand if you ask me.

• Love 5
(edited)

The type of "Christianity" the Duggars believe in is absolutely crazy compared to regular Christians and even fundies. I bet she yells "NIKE!" At Bin when a lotion or KY jelly commercial comes up when she's streaming.

I wonder what her "friends" really think of her and what Jessa thinks of her crappy life. She could have had a better life if her parents weren't so crazy. Her Tacos4Life buddy went to college and posted a picture in her cheer outfit and her skirt was severely inches above the knee. Nobody would bat an eye at the outfit except the Duggars. She had a job, got married to a man she knew more than 1 yr, and had a baby a year later. She also has a tattoo and a nose piercing. Jessa could have had these things and been a cool fundy girl but she is too godly for all that crap. She has doomed herself to a life of frump and babies in order to get into heaven. Sorry tacos girl you're going to hell.

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 7

The sad part, IMO, is that none of the Duggar 19 will EVER realize their potential. They have had no opportunity, no education or no real thoughts about it. Joshy had SOME aspirations to be a lawyer, but that was way out of reality for him.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Locks of Love can't use split ends.  The Dugettes have at least 12" of fried split ends each.

And Mullet's donation would only be a scraggle of back mullet.

3 hours ago, awaken said:

And Joanna goes places all by herself! 

Well, with a camera crew following her. But at least she's left alone with the camera crew....Duggarettes couldn't even do that an hour before their own wedding.

• Love 3

I would assume sports games and HGTV are deemed OK because they aren't likely to encounter sexual allusions, riotous living, Girls Gone Wild getting drunk, etc. within its content.

As for commercials, maybe they pay for commercial-free Hulu or the like?  I grant this wouldn't solve the cheerleader issue.

• Love 1

I don't know about you guys, but I think the Duggar girls are on a slippery slope. Skin tight clothing, viewing modern day TV shows, admiring Fundy-ish Christians, wearing pants, etc. What's next? Having a headache when the headship wants to get randy? Going to the market alone? Delaying having children?

JB & M better rein Jessa and her sisters in.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Annb67 said:

And.....they drink alcohol!

Really?!  I had no idea!  I just saw their book advertised on my Kindle – maybe I'll get it! On topic… 

4 hours ago, Lunera said:

I bet she yells "NIKE!" At Bin when a lotion or KY jelly commercial comes up when she's streaming.

Hahaha, snorting, envisioning this scene!!!  

8 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Shhh!!! Don't tell them that!! I'll take a haircut from them by any and all possible means!

• Love 7
(edited)
On 2017-6-26 at 9:25 AM, Kokapetl said:

Are "rear piers" a thing? Or did someone badly transcribe "repair"?

I think that's it. It looks like the author of the article tried to transcribe Jessa' s talk from a poor quality video using a cell phone. It's a mash of typos, autocorrect and mishearings. The surrounding article also reads as though it was written in another language and dropped into Babelfish.

Apologies. I'm a bitch about sloppy writing. 

Edited by mimionthebeach
Stupid autocorrect.
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, mimionthebeach said:

I think that's it. It looks like the author of the article tried to transcribe Jessa' s talk from a poor quality video using a cell phone. It's a mash of typos, autocorrect and mishearings. The surrounding article also reads as though it was written in another language and dropped into Babelfish.

Apologies. I'm a bitch about sloppy writing. 

Don't forget Jessa's overdone fake southern accent.

• Love 8

Let's see:

Jessa is looking at houses because the mold house is too small

They have been dropping the name of a tv house flipping couple

Jessa and Jill just had a plot about the spider pool house that needs a lot of renovations

Anyone think they may be planning an episode?  

• Love 10

If I were the Gaines' I would stay as far away from the Duggars and their brand. It could ruin those two being too closely associated with them. We all know, any house that Jessa or Jill move in to next or 'purchase' will be in the family and a daddy or grandma-owned property.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, sometimesy said:

Let's see:

Jessa is looking at houses because the mold house is too small

They have been dropping the name of a tv house flipping couple

Jessa and Jill just had a plot about the spider pool house that needs a lot of renovations

Anyone think they may be planning an episode?  

Joanna: "Jessa, you look so pretty! Like a mosoleum filled with dead man's bones!

Jessa: *ete twitch* "Thank y'all. Let's gets started in these rear piers before the camera crew leaves!"

• Love 13

The Gaines' do not work outside of the Waco area.  They have been very serious about this in the past and have supposedly turned down bigger names then the Duggars that live in Austin and Dallas.

Now I would not be entirely surprised if TLC/Jim Bob was planning some kind of renovation spinoff with the boys, even if it was only a few episodes.  Usually those HGTV shoes are 90% scripted with additional designers, contractors, and staffers that the public never sees.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, saylubee said:

Now I would not be entirely surprised if TLC/Jim Bob was planning some kind of renovation spinoff with the boys, even if it was only a few episodes.  Usually those HGTV shoes are 90% scripted with additional designers, contractors, and staffers that the public never sees

They've done a lot of episodes that involve renovation, they weren't that interesting.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

They've done a lot of episodes that involve renovation, they weren't that interesting.

TLC is looking to get into the home renovation market with Nate Berkus and his husband's new show and bring back Trading Spaces.  Adding a Duggar show to that realm would not be surprising at all, even if it was literally watching paint dry.

Edited by saylubee
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, saylubee said:

TLC is looking to get into the home renovation market with Nate Berkus and his husband's new show and bring back Trading Spaces.  Adding a Duggar show to that realm would not be surprising at all, even if it was literally watching paint dry.

They could do a comedy with the Duggars. Have the Duggs renovate and decorate a place, show the Before and After pictures, and, hey! the Before pictures look a million times better than the After! Actual Duggar reality, televised for the first time. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

They could do a comedy with the Duggars. Have the Duggs renovate and decorate a place, show the Before and After pictures, and, hey! the Before pictures look a million times better than the After! Actual Duggar reality, televised for the first time. 

Then Nate and his hubby could come in afterwards and fix the Duggs mess

• Love 9
1 hour ago, twinkietwin94 said:

Then Nate and his hubby could come in afterwards and fix the Duggs mess

It's "Botched: Home Edition"!  I'd watch it, maybe.

• Love 21
5 hours ago, saylubee said:

TLC is looking to get into the home renovation market with Nate Berkus and his husband's new show and bring back Trading Spaces.

I'd love for TLC to send Nate and Jeremiah to the Duggars just to make them uncomfortable and miserable.

However, I really like them and they don't deserve the treatment they'd get from those idiots. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, saylubee said:

The Gaines' do not work outside of the Waco area.  They have been very serious about this in the past and have supposedly turned down bigger names then the Duggars that live in Austin and Dallas.

Now I would not be entirely surprised if TLC/Jim Bob was planning some kind of renovation spinoff with the boys, even if it was only a few episodes.  Usually those HGTV shoes are 90% scripted with additional designers, contractors, and staffers that the public never sees.

Ugh,  i'm sure jessa does have her hopes on a crossover show with the gaines!  I hope they'd never do that – any slight bit of grudging respect I have for Chip and Joanna would evaporate. 

I bet JB would LOVE to get the boys and Austin into a TLC house flipping show to provide his next revenue stream!  

Side note:   I'd be thrilled if they brought back trading spaces! Is it true that's under discussion?  I used to spend all of my days off before I had kids watching that show! 

• Love 1
On 6/20/2017 at 4:21 PM, lascuba said:

"Bachelor of SCIENCE in Ministry Leadership"

*eye twitch*

I am pretty sure that ministry is not a science. If anything, it is closer to an art. The irony is here is also amazing. Ben is getting a Bachelor's degree in science from a fundy clown college. That college is likely not teaching any credible science, and fundies as a whole tend to disdain science. I seriously doubt a fundy minister would promote it.

• Love 4