Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

13 hours ago, ABay said:

Alex's reading of the R&B lyrics made me uncomfortable. 

Me, too! I kept telling my husband that it was creeping me out <shivers>

13 hours ago, PaulaO said:

Rachel drove me nuts with her flat affect and swaying.

And board jumping. But I think the swaying (can you not STAND STILL??) bugged me almost more than the board jumping. Maybe it's a tie...

• Love 2

Woodward and Bernstein worked for the Washington Post. How quickly they forget. Seriously, that should be remembered, especially in the climate we're living in now, with the free press under attack from the White House. When they uncovered Watergate, Woodward and Bernstein were working for the Washington Post.

I said Vatican City for FJ and when Annie's answer was accepted, I thought maybe I was wrong. But, technically, she was wrong, the Vatican and Vatican City are two different things. I give her props for those gutsy DD wagers, though.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, illdoc said:

Saudi Arabia was such a bad guess!

I didn't necessarily think it was Saudi Arabia but I thought it must have something to do with not fully recognizing women as citizens or having some sort of dictatorship where they could report a BS number. So I at least sort of understood how she got there.

I'm giving Rachel a 1/2 pass on her Saudi Arabia answer as well, thinking along the lines of "they have women there, but the women don't have any rights".  Sad way of thinking, I know.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I'm a classic movie fan (fanatic?) so Carole Lombard was easy. 

I love classic movies, too, and I love Carole Lombard. She was gorgeous and funny. It's so tragic what happened to her.

I did not get any of the R&B songs. Some of the lyrics sounded familiar, but I had no idea who had performed them.

• Love 1

I was surprised they missed winner-take-all.

As today is the 20th anniversary of Buffy the Vampire Slayer premiering, I was hoping FJ would be a character from the show once they revealed the category. MacGyver seemed too easy.

• Love 3

Adam deserved to lose for not knowing Mississippi.  And Annie deserved to lose for not knowing macgyver.  I never watched the show, and it was an instaget for me.

Two pair was also a surprising TS -- maybe they thought it couldn't be the answer because it was too easy.  And given "middle", how could you not figure out mesozoic?  I also got Stevie Nicks, Peter Pan and Dandie Dinmont Terrier.  I probably wouldn't have gotten that last one without the photo, though.

• Love 4

I thought Annie should have been dinged for "totalitarianism". That's 15 letters, not 12. 

I've noticed that Faulkner is frequently featured but contestants rarely associate him with Mississippi. Weird.

I like the new champ.

• Love 4

Yay, Jessica!  I was really rooting for her.

I got Ford, Stevie Nicks, and Mississippian.

My heart sank when I saw the FJ clue (easiest FJ ever, and I've never watched the show) because I figured Annie would win.  Boy, was I pleasantly surprised.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I thought Annie should have been dinged for "totalitarianism". That's 15 letters, not 12.

It was 12 Letters or More

Good for Jessica!

FJ was really easy. Where I am MacGyver is on right after Jeopardy! I got Stevie Nicks and Ford too. I forgot what state Faulkner was from. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yay, Jessica!  I was really rooting for her.

I got Ford, Stevie Nicks, and Mississippian.

My heart sank when I saw the FJ clue (easiest FJ ever, and I've never watched the show) because I figured Annie would win.  Boy, was I pleasantly surprised.

I have never in my life heard "MacGyver" to mean anything except the name of a TV show. Never heard anyone say it and I've never read it in print. In fact while I was trying to think of it I asked my son to tell me the name of a few TV shows with a name of a person and he said "MacGyver" and I said No that's not it....easy for one is hard for someone else! Do you say "I just Macgyvered this together?" Or do people say "he is quite the Macgyver with broken things" or "I wish I could Macgyver as well as George"?

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, operalover said:

Do you say "I just Macgyvered this together?" Or do people say "he is quite the Macgyver with broken things" or "I wish I could Macgyver as well as George"?

All of the above!  Here's some info.  Although the engineering professor doesn't know what she's talking about.  "Tinker" doesn't begin to mean the same thing as "MacGyver."

I didn't know what the FJ category was, so when I heard the clue, I said "Rube Goldberg," but that didn't sound right.  As soon as I looked up and saw that the category was TV Characters, it was an instaget.

I like Jessica, too.  Glad she won!  But she could've wagered more boldly, especially in that DD that was close to the top of the category.  That's my main gripe with women players.  Couldn't fault Annie on that score.

Edited by Mondrianyone
Smacks self for mistyping MacGyver
  • Love 5

When I was having a heater problem, I told the repair guy I MacGyver'd a solution until he could get here, and he totally got what I meant. So yeah, very easy FJ for me.

• Love 10

I had recorded Jeopardy and had MacGyver on while cooking, so I felt almost as if I were cheating when they got to FJ! Stevie Nicks was a TS???? I now feel ancient. I recall playing "Belladonna" on my roommate's car radio the day the cassette came out!

• Love 9

Ford was a TS in the car category. Go figure. 

Wasnt a big Annie fan, but I have to give her credit for her daring wagering on the DD. Sometimes people get all freaked out they hit a DD, then do a wimpy wager. 

FJ was an instaget for me. Mainly because McGyver is on immediately following Jeopardy on Friday nights. Plus I'm old enough to remember the original McGyver series with Richard Dean Anderson. Saw that is still on MeTv while I was channel surfing the other day. 

The new champ seems ok. Good for her. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I'm giving Rachel a 1/2 pass on her Saudi Arabia answer as well, thinking along the lines of "they have women there, but the women don't have any rights".  Sad way of thinking, I know.

But then who would be those special 32 women?

• Love 3

Farewell Annie. $50K in 2 days is pretty great for an unemployed bartender. I was really surprised she didn't get MacGuyver because she seemed to do pretty well with the other pop culture-y questions. And that wasn't difficult at all to me and I've never watched the show.

I was sort of hoping the other two contestants would take a page from Annie and wager big on their DJ questions but then when the guy missed "Mississippi" I realized it's probably better he didn't. Still, I thought that was another easy answer.

Edited by burner
  • Love 1

Me to Dr.Toothbrush during the Jeopardy round: "Annie is really growing on me", so of course she lost. My heartfelt apologies to all of the Annie fans; I will keep my jinx-y comments to myself from now on. At least she won enough to pay off her student loans.

Stevie Nicks being a TS made me sad. My parents were huge Fleetwood Mac fans so her voice was part of the soundtrack of my childhood. 

FJ was an insta-get, but I had to listen to Dr. TB go on about everything wrong with the reboot for 5 minutes. 

Happy for Jessica - yay for alliterative names, and she seems like a happy, upbeat person. The anti-Allison. Adam looks like a few years older version of my cousin Eddie.

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, PaulaO said:

How do you not know that Faulkner was born in Mississippi???

Sorry. I said Louisiana.

It took me a minute to recall the name MacGyver, though I would have spelt it wrong, i.e., McGiver.

For TSs, I got pair and Wisconsin. I couldn't remember Stevie Nicks' name. I was saying, "That woman from Fleetwood Mac." I also couldn't remember that William's last name was Wallace or the Dandie Dinmont Terrier. I think that's the breed of dog Bill Cosby shows.

I thought the gymnosperm category was interesting. Actually, the clues were easy, but I'd never heard of gymnosperm.

I like the pub trivia team name I Am Smartacus.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

It took me a minute to recall the name MacGyver, though I would have spelt it wrong, i.e., McGiver.

That (McGiver) could be pronounced as "MacGyver", so they probably would have accepted it (remember, as Alex says, we don't penalize for spelling in FJ (assuming it is pronouncable correctly))

• Love 2

Just catching up on the Wednesday - Friday shows

Todd -- if the category is Nationalitease, Viennese does not describe a country.  
The judges were rather generous with John Paul's Mexico/Mexican answer as well in that same category.

I'm glad they did BMS on that tiger answer by John Paul.  Finally.

Serena -- during the interview she said she went "from 0 to 3 kids and then to 2."  How does that work ?

Annie really should have been ruled incorrect for that Vatican City FJ -- and Rachel should have won.  That was a gimme by the judges for Annie.  
Sure, Saudi Arabia was a terrible guess, but based on the wagering Rachel should have been the champ.  And Rachel seem really, really unhappy about the result during the end credits.  Serena has a great smile -- which she also graciously exhibited in defeat.

Two pair was a TS ? In a category where they knew that "air" was in the answer ?  Seriously ? No one even guessed one pair.

16 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

FJ was an insta-get, but I had to listen to Dr. TB go on about everything wrong with the reboot for 5 minutes. 

Happy for Jessica - yay for alliterative names, and she seems like a happy, upbeat person. The anti-Allison. Adam looks like a few years older version of my cousin Eddie.

I've been using MacGyver as a verb for 20+ years since the show was on the air (it ended in 1994, I think).
And Dr. TB is right, the new reboot does kind of suck.

• Love 3

I never knew what the show Macgyver was about and never had any interest in it.  I assumed it was just like Barreta or the Rockford Files or any other detective series featuring a male lead. No one in my life has ever used that term talking to me and I've never seen it in print.  An example how a tipping point missed somebody. I did think Slovenia and Slovakia and Vatican City were the easiest FJ's I've ever seen and people here missed those. My mentally disabled son knew Macgyver as well so it seems I've been living under a rock.

• Love 5
On 3/8/2017 at 6:09 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

@operalover - I'd guess stripper.

That was my guess. He seemed pretty clearly in Magic Mike territory. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

On 3/9/2017 at 3:51 PM, Roaster said:

Yes, I remember thinking about that distinction watching game shows decades ago.  And I figured it was because most of the contestants were from greater Los Angeles that it made it all look more like a nationwide enterprise if they said where the contestants had moved from.

Being a military brat, it's hard to even come up with an "originally from." (well, I know where I was born, but it wasn't in the US, and it wasn't anyplace we stayed long enough to be anything more than a footnote).

• Love 3
2 hours ago, operalover said:

I never knew what the show Macgyver was about and never had any interest in it.  I assumed it was just like Barreta or the Rockford Files or any other detective series featuring a male lead. No one in my life has ever used that term talking to me and I've never seen it in print.  An example how a tipping point missed somebody.  My mentally disabled son knew Macgyver as well so it seems I've been living under a rock.

All of what you said, ditto hubby and me, your friendly fellow rock-dwellers! And we're ancient.?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, dcalley said:

Great article - thanks for linking! Annie is definitely good people. I'm so glad things worked out for her and she was able to realize her dream of being a Jeopardy contestant, and wish her all the best in law school and beyond. 

On a shallow note, I would never have guessed her to be close to 40 - mid-30s at the oldest. 

• Love 6

I had no idea as to MacGuyver.  I said Rube Goldberg but knew he wasn't a tv character.

Nice article about Annie.  She's more than an unemployed bartender.  I wish her the best.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 7

I got McGyver a second after I thought "jerry-rigged?" 

Mythbusters did at least one sequence, maybe an entire episode, about whether some of McGyver's solutions would really work. The only one I remember is filling a truck with cement to contain an explosion. 

ETA: WTF WTF?

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

Yes, thanks for posting the article, dcalley. I'm extra impressed that she did so well with all that was going on in her life at the time. And I also had The Book of Lists when I was in school, though, since I'm older than Annie, I'm sure it was an much earlier edition. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, operalover said:

I never knew what the show Macgyver was about and never had any interest in it.  I assumed it was just like Barreta or the Rockford Files or any other detective series featuring a male lead. No one in my life has ever used that term talking to me and I've never seen it in print.  An example how a tipping point missed somebody. I did think Slovenia and Slovakia and Vatican City were the easiest FJ's I've ever seen and people here missed those. My mentally disabled son knew Macgyver as well so it seems I've been living under a rock.

ditto for me, too, on Macgyver.  And I've never watched any of the other shows where it might have been mentioned. 

Nice article on Annie.  I enjoyed her run and would have never guessed her backstory.  I'm wondering why she wanted to be introduced as an unemployed bartender.  They could have introduced her as a law school applicant.  Unemployed bartender sounded more exotic?  

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

ditto for me, too, on Macgyver.  And I've never watched any of the other shows where it might have been mentioned. 

Nice article on Annie.  I enjoyed her run and would have never guessed her backstory.  I'm wondering why she wanted to be introduced as an unemployed bartender.  They could have introduced her as a law school applicant.  Unemployed bartender sounded more exotic?  

I think 'student' might have been most appropriate, but I really don't know her reasoning for choosing 'unemployed bartender'.

• Love 1
On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, Miss Chevious said:

FJ was an instaget for me. Mainly because McGyver is on immediately following Jeopardy on Friday nights. Plus I'm old enough to remember the original McGyver series with Richard Dean Anderson. Saw that is still on MeTv while I was channel surfing the other day. 

I should've gotten this, but I got caught up in the notion that the character was named for the word in question, rather than the word coming into usage because it was the character's name.

I'm so glad to see the last of the smug unemployed bartender.  And I actually liked the contestant who replaced her, which is a plus.

Add me to those who are sad that no one got Stevie Nicks.  I remember riding around in the car listening to stuff off Bella Donna as a teenager.  Yes, I am old.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

That was a good game.  Nice run by Bonnie, but I'm glad our champ won again.  I still have Bohemian Rhapsody running through my head, though. 

I was surprised they all missed the sound of one hand clapping, and "peanuts" in the clue led me to Robert E. Lee, but those are the only TS that I remember that I got.

FJ wasn't quite an instaget (I'm not terribly biblically inclined), but I came up with it in plenty of time to write it down.

• Love 3

"Well Alex I like to throw beads so people lift their shirts" is how I finished the rest of that story.

I'm surprised that with Sherman and Grant a no, Bonnie didn't ring in with Lee.  It seemed the next obvious answer.

Gutsy DD wager at the end by Bonnie.  In that case I would think playing it safe would have been the better choice.

I am less than useless with Bible clues.

• Love 3

Congrats to Jessica.  That was a good game with three pleasant contestants.  On a shallow note, Jessica's hair is beautiful.

I got Robert E. Lee, Rutledge, and Alec Baldwin.

FJ wasn't an instaget but I thought of it in plenty of time.

• Love 6