Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I've been busy the last several nights so tonight was my first experience with Loren -- and I've got to watch the last couple of episodes, because I have no idea how he became the defending champ.  Was there a wizard involved ?

Congrats to Christy on her victory, but there were so many TS.  There were also a lot of answers that should have been BMS.

What is Martin ? For Steve Martin
Who is Ali ?  for Muhammad Ali.
And in FJ would Loren's answer of 'What is Williams ?' have been accepted (if Williams had been correct) ?

Isn't the name of the park 'Voyageurs National Park', not 'Voyageur'.

FJ was an instaget -- never read it, but know enough about it just based on Seinfeld episodes.  :)

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

Heh, I shouted out Arthur Miller when the category was revealed.  Because Jeopardy! LOVES Arthur Miller.

They sure do, though they oft use Streetcar Named Desire, too. In any case you took the words out of my fingers. And I too shouted Arthur Miller before AT read the question...I mean answer.

Could Alex have mentioned one more time that a real life human woman was beating the menfolk? 

That really, really bugged me. So did taking over Christy's bio and making it all about him, just like a certain Predator of the US likes to do.

I would have dinged "Williams." After all, it could have been Williams Shakespeare!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Heh, I shouted out Arthur Miller when the category was revealed. 

Me too!  

I have actually met a couple of men in my (long!) life named William Lowman or Lohman (no actual "Loman" though.)  And always had to restrain myself from calling them dead salesmen!

• Love 1

I would also like to see Loren's reading list. I liked his goal. 

I was way too happy about running the tv cooks category. I wasn't going to be happy if we didn't get through that category. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

There were also a lot of answers that should have been BMS.

Who is Ali ?  for Muhammad Ali.
And in FJ would Loren's answer of 'What is Williams ?' have been accepted (if Williams had been correct) ?

I know! What's up with this? It's so random anymore :/

• Love 1

I didn't notice the swaying so much with Loren, but his pauses drove me crazy. That pause he gave before just about every answer, like he was afraid it was wrong...I never got used to that. Too much down time. I won't miss it.

I don't mind board jumping so much if it's done in order, monetarily. A contestant jumping to another category and picking the clue with the lowest dollar amount doesn't bother me as much as jumping around and picking high-value clues. It's just not exciting to end a round, especially DJ, with a bunch of low-value clues. That's my biggest complaint with board jumping.

• Love 2

Thanks to Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael novels, I knew that Matilda was called "Empress Maud" to distinguish her from her cousin Stephen's wife Matilda, so I ran that category.  I didn't realize Henrietta Maria had never been crowned, but I did know she was Catholic; that's why the Catholic founders of what became the state of Maryland named the colony for her after receiving their land grant from Charles I.  (Interesting side note: Maryland was the first colony to guarantee religious freedom to all its settlers, unlike those Puritans up in Massachusetts.  Now, in practice it basically meant mostly other Christians, but still, good idea.)

Edited by proserpina65
"ran" and "can" are not the same words
  • Love 4
On ‎01‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, secnarf said:

I was shocked that The Miracle Worker was missed.

I said Cat on a Hot Tin Roof for that one.

Turns out I must've missed the inclusion of "the Keller homestead" - guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
On ‎01‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:40 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

OMG!  What a terrible game.  I didn't even mind that there were clues left.  I couldn't wait for it to end.  Peewee Loren is insufferable.  Now, not only is he slower than molasses in January, but he's bouncing and has a smug smartass look on his face.

There were about 468 TS's of which I got Mattel, drunk as a skunk, decommission, agriculture, Patton (missed DD), vouch, Man of La Mancha, and Irene Cara.

For FJ I would have written, "Who are the Moonies?" since I was clueless.

Sounds like I should be glad I missed it.  I would've gotten Copts, though.

No kidding. The whole clue screamed Death of a Salesman. 

I knew the play, knew who they wanted, and yet couldn't come up with anyone other than "Not Eugene O'Neill" until too late to have written it down.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
On 2017-01-25 at 11:03 PM, rereader2 said:

I did get FJ, not because I knew it really, but because Egypt.

I did not get this FJ but, when you put it like this, I had to smack my head.

I missed a lot of last night's game due to phone calls but FJ was an instaget.

New champ seems okay.

• Love 1

FYI, Empress Matilda got the title through her first marriage, to the Holy Roman Emperor. He died not too many years into the marriage, so she then married Geoffrey of Anjou and had a son Henry, who became Henry II of England after the settlement with Stephen that ended the Anarchy.

Cool event during the Anarchy was after Matilda's troops captured Stephen, when his wife Matilda led his troops, thus having two women leading the two sides of the civil war, all in the early 12th century!

• Love 3

It's not that the (former) champ didn't say "Arthur Miller" (he was the one that said "Williams") that boggles my mind, it's that the other guy on the end couldn't come up with ANYTHING ("who is ?"). I mean, seriously??? When the category came up, I could name half a dozen American (or was it 20th century?) playwrights!

• Love 3

Many decades ago, he was on tour with Martin Mull. They were in Atlanta for a week at the Great Southeast Music Hall - one would headline the first 3 days, the other on the final 3 days. It was called The Steve Martin Mull Show.  He's such good friends with Marty Short, they could do the same thing - The Steve Martin Short Show.  That just screamed for a BMS. They might've meant Dean Martin.

• Love 5

I've always thought that jumping around the board randomly and not going in sequence was to throw your opponents off their game. Some top players have used that strategy and it worked.

• Love 2

Lisa!  A gutsy late-game daily double wager pays off and puts her back into contention.  Plus it was a daily double where she appeared to reach way to the back of her mind and pull it out at the last minute.

And then getting the FJ.  I know South Africa has three capitals but I always forget the name of the smaller one.

• Love 3

I was glad Lisa won, and not just because I live near Berwyn, PA.  I like that she won because of a large, correct FJ, and generally played a very good game.  The other two contestants also were pleasant, and not bad contestants.  All in all, a pleasant game.

• Love 7

Lisa's hair flip when she realized she got FJ correct turned me off a bit, but all in all I like her. Very gutsy DD wagering in DJ and I was so afraid she was going to miss it. She is Sue Hecht in 10 years. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 6

Ditto what mjc570 said, about rooting for Lisa because she lives in my area (which also means that mjc570 lives in my area. Howdy, neighbor!). But I also really liked Paul, especially once he admitted to having watched soaps as a kid. Took guts. 

She is Sue Hecht in 10 years.

OMG, yes. Now that you say it… totally yes.

• Love 4

I liked all the contestants!  I think that's a first.  :)  I had to root for Lisa because she's a Microbiologist like I am.

I picked the wrong city, and honestly have no idea if I've heard of Bloemfontein before tonight.  But bloem/flowers and fontein/water -- makes sense. 

I was glad they got to the 60s pop lyrics category -- that was fun.  And so cool that they cleared both boards in an orderly fashion, too.  Heh.

The TS I remember that I got were stollen, coarse, greasy and sextant.  It surprised me a bit that no one knew sextant.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It surprised me a bit that no one knew sextant.

I figured they meant sextant for that question but actually thought it was far older than the date given for its invention. Maybe astrolobe was the ancient instrument I was thinking of.

I think they were afraid of the 1960's lyrics but they got them all.

Instaget FJ for me but I am sure I wouldn't have spelled it right.

Congrats to the new champ. That's a very nice one day total.

• Love 2

I was surprised nobody got Alexander Graham Bell.

I really enjoyed this game! Loved the 60s music category. FJ wasn't an instaget but I was able to figure it out in time. I knew there were three capitals and thought Port Elizabeth and Durban might also be possibilities as larger cities, but once I actually thought about the names of these cities it was pretty easy.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, PaulaO said:

She answered Schultz, and that is wrong pronunciation 

I'm only saying this to be devil's advocate. Apparently in German, a "z" ending a name is pronounced "tz." When you see a name with a TZ ending, it was probably written phonetically at some point. So to a German-speaking person, Schulz and Schultz would have the same pronunciation. (I don't speak German, but yes, I have one of those last names -- spelled ending in Z and correctly pronounced like TZ... not that any of us do. My aunt was once reprimanded in a college class by a German professor who scolded her for ruining "your beautiful German last name" by leaving out the implied T.)

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I can't remember Alex ever blowing a clue before. Lisa was excellent. Sad that none of these younguns remembered greasy kid stuff. 

I recall a time or two, but it is still surprising

7 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I'm only saying this to be devil's advocate. Apparently in German, a "z" ending a name is pronounced "tz." When you see a name with a TZ ending, it was probably written phonetically at some point. So to a German-speaking person, Schulz and Schultz would have the same pronunciation. (I don't speak German, but yes, I have one of those last names -- spelled ending in Z and correctly pronounced like TZ... not that any of us do. My aunt was once reprimanded in a college class by a German professor who scolded her for ruining "your beautiful German last name" by leaving out the implied T.)

Yes, most spellings of "foreign" names, at least back in the day, were variations to help Americans pronounce the name. Oftentimes those new spellings were imposed at Ellis Island. I grew up speaking German, and I cringe whenever I hear a German word mispronounced (yes, I am Alex in that regard). I didn't hear her say anything incorrectly, in fact in one answer (not this one, since I don't remember it at all) I was pleased with how she pronounced a German word.

I enjoyed these boards today.

I started rooting for Lisa the moment she had that strong reaction when she pulled an answer out of her bottom and was amazed it was right (can't remember the answer).

• Love 4

Oftentimes those new spellings were imposed at Ellis Island.

A common myth, not true. “'No names were changed at Ellis Island because no names were taken at Ellis Island.' Instead, inspectors only checked the people passing through the island against the records of the ship." Many immigrants changed their names later to fit in better with their neighbors and coworkers.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/ellis-island-isnt-blame-your-familys-name-change-180953832/

• Love 4

Clanstarling -- good, enjoy! A web search like Ellis Island name change will find several articles etc. This question often comes up in genealogy discussions, because many people don't know how the system worked. If you are looking for your ancestors, Ellis Island and its predecessor Castle Garden have free web sites where you can search for names.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I started rooting for Lisa the moment she had that strong reaction when she pulled an answer out of her bottom and was amazed it was right (can't remember the answer).

That rectally extracted answer was fiberglass.Good for her!

On 1/27/2017 at 7:28 PM, Quickbeam said:

I can't remember Alex ever blowing a clue before. Lisa was excellent. Sad that none of these younguns remembered greasy kid stuff. 

To be fair, the clue was about "once tapped" by a government agency to work on a unique message. That's a little sketchy by the Jeopardy! writers. BTW, has anyone ever heard NASA called the N-A-S-A as opposed to NAS-uh?

On 1/27/2017 at 8:08 PM, Trey said:

Maybe astrolobe was the ancient instrument I was thinking of.

Yeah, the astrolabe was the ancient one. 

On 1/27/2017 at 8:08 PM, Trey said:

Instaget FJ for me but I am sure I wouldn't have spelled it right.

I wouldn't have either. I would have probably written down Bloomfountain or something like that. 

• Love 2

Heh, not to be catty but if he was watching Ryan's Hope, he's probably old enough to know lyrics from the 60s. Which was a stupid thing for Alex to say anyway that the contestants were too young because no one ever listens to songs still from the 60s.   Who are these Beatles the show keeps asking about?

• Love 9

What a funny (odd not humorous) comment from Alex about stay at home people, insinuating they were prisoners. Obviously he's never been a stay at home parent. Plus they both had occupations so they must have interaction with others during the course of the day. I'm sure they don't consider themselves "locked up."

I got fly, scratch, stretch, pylon and Campobello. FJ - no clue, my first thought was Roger Williams but I knew that wasn't right.

• Love 3

FJ was not quite an instaget -- it took me a second or two to make the connection between prisons and Georgia, but from there it was an easy hop to Oglethorpe.

It made me sad that no one got Bill Murray.  In addition to that one, I also got Athens to Rome, Magic Bus, fly, and competition, although competition was just a guess.  Fly was a surprising TS -- what else are you going to tie if you're going fishing?

I still like Lisa -- I hope she sticks around for a bit.  Unfortunately (sort of), I won't be able to watch tomorrow or Wednesday.  But I'll be reading here for all the snark! 

• Love 3

I also got magic bus. I was on the Magic Bus, not from Europe to India, but from Amsterdam to London. It was an overnight bus called "Magic Bus" but it was horrible, they woke us up at 3AM to go through customs in Belgium. I think that is where we were, I was walking while asleep. It was 1980 before the open borders. I was so mad as I was expecting something magical and it was just a crappy bus ride.

I also got Athens to Rome and Oglethorpe and a few others. 

• Love 1

A good victory for Lisa again. Given that she knew Oglethorpe and Joe didn't, it would have ended up being a better payday for her had Joe gotten Robert Goddard correct. Nonetheless, a runaway is still a good thing. 

6 minutes ago, operalover said:

I also got magic bus.

I did after first thinking of "Going Mobile."

• Love 1

I did not think of Magic Bus. I thought of Marrakesh Express before I realized it was the wrong part of the world. 

It made me sad that no one got Bill Murray.  In addition to that one, I also got Athens to Rome, Magic Bus, fly, and competition, although competition was just a guess.  Fly was a surprising TS -- what else are you going to tie if you're going fishing?

I knew most of those, too. I think Bill Murray and Hyde Park on Hudson were forgotten or disparaged since the film came out in the same year as Lincoln. Murray wasn't bad as FDR, but he was bound to suffer by comparison with Day-Lewis. 

I also thought of Roger Williams before remembering Oglethorpe. 

• Love 2