Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I think I've seen deep fried fucknuggets at a state fair in the Midwest - they deep fry just about everything else at those places.

Yet another reason I avoid the middle of the Continent.  I once took a bus trip across Canada, and those Prairie Provinces with their endless flat horizons freaked me out!  I need ocean, and mountain.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Can Papa John take the new & improved Dominos franchise with him - there should be room in that handbasket?

Like the ones in the new ad: "I sold my dream house to buy a Dominos franchise!" Seriously? All the franchises in the world, you sell your house for Dominos?

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

Like the ones in the new ad: "I sold my dream house to buy a Dominos franchise!" Seriously? All the franchises in the world, you sell your house for Dominos?

YESSSSS!

If you're dumb enough to buy a Dominos franchise, you don't deserve to own a house.  Just live in a van down by the river already.

• Love 10
On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:41 AM, frenchtoast said:

This is me when I'm stuck watching that commercials. How can there be 5 special editions? Do they not understand what special edition means. Or is it we're so special we need 5 special editions because we are just that special. GAH, so annoying! And now the stupid Chevy commercial where they have to read all the so-called awards that Chevy has won. Oh, just STFU. If you're so smart and won so many awards, how do you not know what special edition means?!

The worst thing about that ad is that they scroll them too fast for the focus group people (who seem to change in number and composition) to read.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

That reminds me - there's a new anti-smoking ad where a young woman appears to be at a party, and she's in the bathroom about to light a cigarette. Suddenly, what I guess is supposed to be her future self bursts into the room and tells her not to do it, that if she lights that cigarette she'll become addicted to smoking and it will ruin her life.

First off, dial it back a notch, Sally Struthers. Yes, smoking is bad for you, and yes it is very difficult to quit. I should know, I tried more than once before I stopped, but good Lord. Its like those shows when somebody tries something once and within five minutes is a hopeless junkie living on the streets. What if she lights it and decides she never wants to smoke again? For those of you who remember that first puff off a cigarette, was it an awesome experience that you wanted to try over and over?

All of those gubberment-sponsored anti-smoking ads annoy me, especially the ones with the slogan about "ending smoking" b/c the gubberment gives tobacco farmers subsidies, so yeah, it's a pointless goal.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:36 PM, iMonrey said:

Those are the Sklar brothers and they fancy themselves stand-up comics. IMO they are the most un-funny stand-up comics I have ever had the misfortune of seeing.

I know nothing about their stand-up routine, but I enjoyed them on Cheap Seats.

Speaking of annoying things, I keep seeing ads for what I assume to be a local ambulance-chaser who looks like grease is oozing out if his body whose name sounds like "Sha na na". I assume he's local to north Florida, but I thought Morgan & Morgan was local for several years.

• Love 4
On 3/11/2017 at 8:54 AM, BookWitch said:

So the Verizon ad had added an addendum to the first drop the mike ad. Some woman runs out from the crowd and picks up a mike and starts doing air quotes about something. That's all I know cuz I mute that thing ASAP.

I saw one for some other company (Sprint?) with some lady and the guy who used to be in the Verizon commercials that's a takeoff on the mike drop Verizon one.  Could that be the one you're talking about?  I don't know anything about air quotes because I wasn't paying that much attention.

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 0:10 PM, mmecorday said:

That is true. And after the war ended, the tobacco companies cranked out tons of print ads telling people that since rationing ended, they were free to smoke any brand they wanted again.  I used to collect Life magazines and I was always amazed at the sheer number of cigarette ads.

I just saw a bunch of magazines my dad had saved up - yes, cigarette ads all over the place!  AND -   menthol cigarettes were advertised as being good for sore throats and colds, not to mention that they freshened your breath with the "minty coolness" that is menthol.

• Love 2
Just now, backformore said:

I just saw a bunch of magazines my dad had saved up - yes, cigarette ads all over the place!  AND -   menthol cigarettes were advertised as being good for sore throats and colds, not to mention that they freshened your breath with the "minty coolness" that is menthol.

When I was smoking my Newports co-workers who had a sore throat sometimes bummed one because that's what we knew to be true 30 years ago.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, rcc said:

When I was smoking my Newports co-workers who had a sore throat sometimes bummed one because that's what we knew to be true 30 years ago.

My mom STARTED smoking when she was pregnant with my brother.  at the time, gaining too much weight was seen as one of the worst things you could do when pregnant (not smoking or drinking, but gaining more than 25 pounds).  the doctor would weigh women at their pregnancy check-up and scold them if they gained too much.   Smoking was seen as a way to keep your appetite and weight  in check. 

• Love 2

HATE the Ace Hardware ad and that sing song---Ace is the place blah,blah--and they cram in too many words.

Also, hate the Kit Kat Chance the Rapper ads. I don't even know who he is, but hate the song on there too. Lol.

• Love 4

This earwax removal commercial, easily one of the more disgusting, off-putting ads around. Especially when it shows it s special corkscrew design that is supposed to just scoop out all that annoying wax. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Pickles said:

HATE the Ace Hardware ad and that sing song---Ace is the place blah,blah--and they cram in too many words.

Also, hate the Kit Kat Chance the Rapper ads. I don't even know who he is, but hate the song on there too. Lol.

The Ace Hardware ad would be SO much better if they went back to the original lyrics : "Ace is the place for the helpful hardware MAN."  I guess some would complain, though.

• Love 3

I want to smash with a brick the douchey face of the UnTUCKIT dude. Because nobody in the history of garment making has ever, you know, cut fabric and tailored it according to trend and design aesthetic. Not till YOU, Genius Man! "Innovative" my ruddy ass.

• Love 10
On 3/9/2017 at 4:20 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

It looks like BK's "someone's gonna get fired" guy and his buddy have been replaced by two bearded fellows who look even less like they should be wearing paper crowns. It's slightly less annoying, but I don't know who the guy on the right is supposed to be talking to when he says "he wears glasses"; he glances over to his buddy's left where no one is sitting.

The BK spots with the ghoulish king peeking in the bedroom window and the guy waking up in bed with the king next to him are in my pantheon of horrible commercials.  Things you can't unsee.

Who greenlighted that stuff anyway?

• Love 5

Jennifer Aniston: The Emirates Airlines commercials bugged me on so many levels. The eye love and Aveeno just add to the irritation.

MM has grossed me out as long as I've been aware of him, but I did enjoy True Detective. The aging him in that series just added to the gross-out factor though.

And the Walt Whitman poetry Volvo commercial is just awful although I'm sure that I am in the minority with that view.

Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road.   The north and the south are mine ...

Uh, "afoot" ??? "Long brown path"??? You're in a car and that's blacktop, Baby. And that looks like a terrified fox to me. And the "hero" of this masterpiece looks dirty and self-absorbed.

I didn't like the wedding/funeral??? Volvo commercial either, but I loved the  "Feeling Good" one.

• Love 5

The Kleenex commercial with the crying baby on the airplane. Random dude gets up out of his seat to give the baby and the parents a packet of tissues. This is just too weird. I would honestly think child predator. Lol. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Pickles said:

The Kleenex commercial with the crying baby on the airplane. Random dude gets up out of his seat to give the baby and the parents a packet of tissues. This is just too weird. I would honestly think child predator. Lol. 

I'd think he was trying to stop the baby from crying -- shut up, kid!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Pickles said:

You may be watching too much ID Channel.   :-)

I would honestly think "throw baby off the plane".  OK, maybe with a wee little parachute ...

• Love 7

I am curious, do many people who are on Medicare not know it? Watch several Star Trek episodes every night on H&I. There's an ad for back brace and knee brace company (not the one with the cartoon grandma), at the start of the ad, the voice over says, "are you on Medicare, do you carry the red, white and blue Medicare card?" Most, not all people who are on Medicare are at least 65 and many of us have just been waiting for that magic age so we could defraud the American people out of billions and billions of dollars from an account we paid into our entire working life. I think these are the kind of commercials that make people think that, just call your doctor, get a free back or knee brace or an electric motor scooter. And I've thought that for a long time before I turned 65. 

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Well, in Dominos defense, their pizza is really very good now. I remember the days from the 80's and 90's where their pizzas were basically cardboard with some red paste holding the artificial cheese and meat on. Even then, Dominos was always one (small) step up from Little Caesar's (or, as my father refers to that chain, Little Geezer's).

• Love 4
12 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I am curious, do many people who are on Medicare not know it? Watch several Star Trek episodes every night on H&I. There's an ad for back brace and knee brace company (not the one with the cartoon grandma), at the start of the ad, the voice over says, "are you on Medicare, do you carry the red, white and blue Medicare card?" Most, not all people who are on Medicare are at least 65 and many of us have just been waiting for that magic age so we could defraud the American people out of billions and billions of dollars from an account we paid into our entire working life. I think these are the kind of commercials that make people think that, just call your doctor, get a free back or knee brace or an electric motor scooter. And I've thought that for a long time before I turned 65. 

I'd say a sizeable number of people who have Medicare aren't aware of everything which might be covered.  But a lot of Medicare-related commercials do seem to be shilling snake-oil products.

• Love 2

I agree that many people on Medicare aren't aware of everything that might be covered, I'm certainly not, but when I need something, I can find out about it. I'm not even opposed to ads showing products and saying they're available for Medicare products. But my question is, if you have Medicare, don't you know it? Do you have to be asked if you carry the red, white and blue Medicare card? Isn't that an insulting way of asking, saying you're probably too stupid to know if you have Medicare, we'll talk down to you, because Medicare is probably the only red, white and blue insurance card you could possibly have! And that doesn't even address how many commercials for these kind of products infer that these products are so simple to get and they're mailing out millions to anyone with medicare who asks their doctors. I have to ask and ask and ask to get some things. I had a friend who was on oxygen, had problems with her legs and feet and applied and applied and applied to get a scooter, could not get one, then she died so it's not important now. But she had problems getting around her small apartment and getting out to the bus to go to the grocery store, in fact there were weeks she had to do without or rely on a friend to come get her. A scooter would have made life a lot easier, but they are not handed out like candy. And I doubt the back braces/knee braces are either. Thankfully, at this time, those aren't my needs, but I sure would like to have gel insoles and see if those would help my feet when they on fire. I know, I can pick up a pair at Walmart, but not when I have to struggle to get there and back. I know, I'm on a soapbox and it hurts to stand here, so I'll get off.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I want a free scooter to shop for cat food & visit the San Diego Zoo/Wild Animal Park one more time ...

I may not even qualify for Medicare - not that it matters much these days.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Pickles said:

Hormel pepperoni ad with the one man band guy. 

Oh god, is that the same one as before?  That was probably my least favorite commercial of all time.

20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Hefty bag with the buff guy who flexes his pecs when they say "Hefty, Hefty". Not sure why, but I find it disturbing.

I know why.  It's gross.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Hefty bag with the buff guy who flexes his pecs when they say "Hefty, Hefty". Not sure why, but I find it disturbing.

reverse the genders in that commercial and brace for the outcry

• Love 5

I hate the shoe commercial (DSL Maybe?) and the woman finds her best friend in bed with her boyfriend and chooses stealing the best friend's shoes instead of breaking down or seeking revenge. Yes, stealing a pair of ugly shoes makes up for your best friend cheating with your boyfriend. They have another version where a teenage is talking back to her mother and her mother takes revenge by walking off with her shoes too-don't like that one either.

33 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I hate the shoe commercial (DSL Maybe?) and the woman finds her best friend in bed with her boyfriend and chooses stealing the best friend's shoes instead of breaking down or seeking revenge. Yes, stealing a pair of ugly shoes makes up for your best friend cheating with your boyfriend. They have another version where a teenage is talking back to her mother and her mother takes revenge by walking off with her shoes too-don't like that one either.

So what do you expect them to do, shoot them in cold blood?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

Now that would be an interesting commercial.

I've been hating Apple's new ad campaign as of late. I'm never an Apple stan in general, but their new commercials make me even more disinclined to buy their products. Particularly the one where they advertise that your iPad Pro won't get a PC virus. ...Of course it won't. Because it runs on iOS, not Windows. It'll get an iOS virus! Or the commercial about being able to sign documents on your iPad Pro so therefore you don't have to get caught printing documents for your new job at the printer at your old job. Okay, first of all, if you are printing docs like that at your current job, you're either super cocky or reckless. Second of all, most office-quality printers have a hold-print function. Third of all, you know what other tablets allow you to sign documents directly on them without printing? Literally any of them with capable software.

In general I hate Apple's cult-y, overpriced stuff, but this is just so dang stupid.

ETA: Oh! I forgot one other commercial I hate. I'll take a thousand "Flo" ads over a single of those "Progressive Box" ads. They're creepy and unfunny and they make me dislike Chris Parnell for voicing them. I mean, dude's gotta pay his bills, so I get it, but the ads are still maddening.

Edited by BabyVegas
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Would a guy feel good about their girlfriend cheating if they got a pair of used shoes out of it?

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 3

I've been hating Apple's new ad campaign as of late. I'm never an Apple stan in general, but their new commercials make me even more disinclined to buy their products. Particularly the one where they advertise that your iPad Pro won't get a PC virus. ...Of course it won't. Because it runs on iOS, not Windows. It'll get an iOS virus! Or the commercial about being able to sign documents on your iPad Pro so therefore you don't have to get caught printing documents for your new job at the printer at your old job. Okay, first of all, if you are printing docs like that at your current job, you're either super cocky or reckless. Second of all, most office-quality printers have a hold-print function. Third of all, you know what other tablets allow you to sign documents directly on them without printing? Literally any of them with capable software.

I have had Macs for decades and not a one has ever had a virus. However, that by no means indicates that these bastards are issue-free--and when they do get one, however infrequently, it can be expensive...which is still secondary to the absolute horror that is the Apple store. 

Not that it matters, but I'm not cocky or reckless and I print stuff at work all the time. 

As for the shoe commercial, I really don't think its creator is saying shoes alleviate the pain of cheating. It's obviously a joke. Sometimes I wonder if people take commercials' "messages" too literally; there's a difference between finding a campaign not very clever and believing that the advertiser is really saying to do/think/feel what the ad is conveying.

Edited by TattleTeeny
I always type "show" for "shoe"!
  • Love 2
On 3/12/2017 at 11:20 PM, chessiegal said:

That's WWE wrestler John Cena. He's a likable guy. If it were anyone other than him in the commercial, it would bug me. 

Aldi is starting to advertise in our area. There's a commercial with a woman who is switching out her cereal and other stuff to the Aldi brand and the husband didn't notice. Then she changed husbands. She went from an older husband to a younger one. Another commercial that would have had heads rolling if the gender had been switched. I've yet to set foot in Aldi and this commercial doesn't make me want to visit their stores. 

• Love 8

For someone who likes things a very specific way when grocery shopping, Aldi's TERRIFIES me.  I went into one once, found what I was looking for after hiring a Sherpa and an oxen, and vowed never to go back.  And it wasn't even that large of a store!

In the 90's I went through a period where I would only drink Sprite because Grant Hill was their spokesman (and now I would never drink Sprite because LeBron James is) and I did order Pizza Hut last week because of Grant Hill, but I still think "Pi-Tops" is incredibly stupid.

• Love 3

There's a commercial with a woman who is switching out her cereal and other stuff to the Aldi brand and the husband didn't notice. Then she changed husbands. She went from an older husband to a younger one. Another commercial that would have had heads rolling if the gender had been switched. I've yet to set foot in Aldi and this commercial doesn't make me want to visit their stores. 

And that commercial doesn't even make sense. She changed her husband because she kept changing his food brands and he didn't notice? I'm pretty sure he'll notice she changed husbands. Do they sell new husbands at Aldi's?

It's disappointing because one of their earlier commercials about the singles party is hilarious

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

And that commercial doesn't even make sense. She changed her husband because she kept changing his food brands and he didn't notice? I'm pretty sure he'll notice she changed husbands. Do they sell new husbands at Aldi's?

It's disappointing because one of their earlier commercials about the singles party is hilarious

That commercial was much better. 

Aldi is just starting to enter our area. The one I our town is on the other side of the city, so I haven't made it there. Lidl is also entering the area, and there are rumors that Publix and Wegmans are opening stores in our town. 

• Love 3

The usual stuff that doesn't fit into a commercial. Break up with boyfriend and friend, be upset, seek solace from friends you can trust.I just think the commercial makes it seems like everything is fine if you get some cool shoes out of it. Would you be cool with cheating if you got a pair of used shoes out of it? 

Just now, Madding crowd said:

The usual stuff that doesn't fit into a commercial. Break up with boyfriend and friend, be upset, seek solace from friends you can trust.I just think the commercial makes it seems like everything is fine if you get some cool shoes out of it. Would you be cool with cheating if you got a pair of used shoes out of it? 

Let me see the shoes first and I'll tell you.

• Love 8

I wouldn't wear someone else's shoes and if they reminded me of my friend who slept wth my boyfriend, I would have no interest. I think you are missing my point. I'm not saying a shoe commercial should show a particular way to break up/deal with cheating. I'm saying they are showing something they would never show with a man, and offering a stupid answer as to what to do if you find your boyfriend and best friend cheating. But if you would find satisfaction in getting an old pair of shoes, perhaps they did their job. My mileage varies on this one-commercials won't appeal to everyone hence the name of this thread. 

• Love 2

Those weren't used shoes. The best friend's original shoes were laying by the door. The shoes she took as restitution were brand new; there was a DSW shoebox open next to the bed. 

I think the commercial is fun. She realizes her friend and her guy are scum, stays composed and makes the best of a bad situation.  Like a boss.

• Love 4

It's bad enough that it snowed again yesterday but Chevrolet took that as a sign to go back to the trucks uphill in the snow ad.  "Shotgun!  Oooooh!".  Icepick!  ears.

And I appreciate that Ace stopped singing about their helpful hardware man but I think they should have substituted "staff".  Same number of syllables; same vowel sound.

• Love 2
On March 14, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Stacey1014 said:

Aldi is starting to advertise in our area. There's a commercial with a woman who is switching out her cereal and other stuff to the Aldi brand and the husband didn't notice. Then she changed husbands. She went from an older husband to a younger one. Another commercial that would have had heads rolling if the gender had been switched. I've yet to set foot in Aldi and this commercial doesn't make me want to visit their stores. 

19 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

Aldi is just starting to enter our area. The one I our town is on the other side of the city, so I haven't made it there. Lidl is also entering the area, and there are rumors that Publix and Wegmans are opening stores in our town. 

Aldi is fantastic.  I don't do my major shopping there but go for a lot of specialty items. They have great produce. And prices for everything are much lower than other chains. 

• Love 5