Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I also didn't think they were quite as young as 7. Looked 12ish to me. Given that the Juliet character is supposed to be 13-14, they're not so young for it. The first time I saw that ad I was thinking "what is this, some kind of cast actors the characters actual ages, that never happens" except the boy is too young for Romeo. Still, didn't think it was so weird.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I almost always change the font style to a sans serif, and make the page color a pale tan/parchment kind of thing.

I have a Kindle app for my iPad, and do the same.  Five or six years ago, I got a Nook for Christmas, and used that quite a bit before getting the iPad.  I used to read a bunch when I was younger, and I find I'm reading a lot more now that I can download books to the iPad and don't have to worry about dragging a book along - the iPad goes with me just about everywhere, so I've always got something to read.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Even paperbacks that don't take up much space. I get kooky and neurotic when packing (with clothes and books)--"What if I don't feel like reading this once I get there?!"..."What if I lose it or drop it in the pool?" (the latter of which could still happen with a Kindle, and be even worse!)..."What if I finish it too fast?" I don't know why I act like I am vacationing in a remote desert with nothing but that's me; it's a wonder I can get out the door.

Also, as an example, I read (and liked) the Hunger Games series. However, with a normal-sized condo that sometimes feels cluttered with two of us living here--both bibliophiles--I no longer feel like I need to hang onto every book I read; space is valuable (haha, only during my last move at age 40 did I finally donate all my Norton anthologies from college! There were maybe 12 of them [English lit major], each at least three inches thick and hogging up the shelves!). So, lighter fare, non-Stephen King fiction, run-of-the-mill poorly produced true crime (you know, the ones with loads of typos, flimsy and smudgy newsprint-style pages, and black-and-red covers), and cheesy "V.C. Andrews" are Kindle purchases. 

And Kindles, man--they stay charged for a long time. I got lucky with mine; bought it a year or two ago on Amazon's "deal day" or whatever it's called for a mere $65!

TattleTeeny were are bibliophile twins. I died at your Norton anthology comment, still have a few of mine. Between Kindle and the library, I rarely buy books anymore.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

It doesn't help that comedy and variety shows have done skits where that line was the cue for the actor to come on stage with something like "I'm here darling".

And Bugs Bunny.

• Love 6
On 12/16/2016 at 1:40 PM, proserpina65 said:

They still have these things called 'libraries'.

I stare at a computer all day at work - I don't want to do it when I'm reading for pleasure.

On a commercial note: do the Amy Schumer Old Navy commercials seem to be getting more and more obnoxious to anyone else?  I mean, now she's trying to steal someone's husband - you'd never have caught George & Wheezie doing that.

Yes libraries are a great thing ,  but I read mysterys that are series  some of the authors  have over 20 books. When I get a new book  in the series  I start from the first  one  and  read  through  the books till I get to the newest  one. Also my eReader  is lighter to hold  than a hardback  book. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

Not to mention all the people who think Juliet is wondering where Romeo is ("wherefore art thou Romeo?").

I had to look it up, and now I can say I learned something.  Back to the kids, I think early exposure to Shakespeare would be beneficial, before they are taught they're supposed to hate it.

• Love 4

probably time to take the Kindle/books discussion to Small talk, but I converted about 3 years ago. I love to change the background color, tan when it's really bright out or white on black when I'm sitting outside late at night waiting for the dog to do his business. And it's a great way to get those really sleezy, cheap novels, I used to load up on free ones, but have been concentrating on books by authors I love now. Still, I never have to take a second book so that if I finish the first while I'm still in the waiting room.

So, to make this about the topic, I've seen the ads, but haven't paid much attention. 

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:56 PM, millennium said:

If parents could, they would encourage people to "Like" their kids and then tout the number of Likes their kids have accrued.

I actually work with a woman who does this. I swear I am not making this up (I wish I was).

• Love 1

I hope I'm not repeating something that's been posted recently (yes, I've read the entire thread, but ... wine ... ), but the Gatorade commercials with the sorta takeoff of Let's Call the Whole Thing Off enrage me.  Truly.  I'd throw something at the TV, but I don't want to break the TV and I don't have anything except a wineglass (or my laptop) nearby.  And I'd miss all of those things.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

I actually work with a woman who does this. I swear I am not making this up (I wish I was).

That's pathetic, and it reminds me of a thing I keep meaning to tell you, my internet friends. :: sighing ::

My sister has a mom friend who "tags" all the pictures in which her elementary-school-age son appears with #kid'sname like he's goddamned Michael Jordan (I'm old and don't care who plays sports right now). I muse that she thinks her kid is going to be a superstar and she'll have saved her future self from going back to tag all the photos when he makes it big.

In any case, it's dumb and pretentious. He's a third grader. Get over yourself, lady.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 9
22 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

the Gatorade commercials with the sorta takeoff of Let's Call the Whole Thing Off enrage me.

One was on earlier, and I couldn't get to the mute button soon enough!

21 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

she thinks her kid is going to be a superstar

Maybe he'll turn into a serial killer, and she'll regret tagging him in all those photos.

• Love 23
13 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I hope I'm not repeating something that's been posted recently (yes, I've read the entire thread, but ... wine ... ), but the Gatorade commercials with the sorta takeoff of Let's Call the Whole Thing Off enrage me.  Truly.  I'd throw something at the TV, but I don't want to break the TV and I don't have anything except a wineglass (or my laptop) nearby.  And I'd miss all of those things.

I've mentioned these before, and as far as I'm concerned, they cannot be mentioned enough. I feel like this terrible campaign will never end. 

Toyota has a commercial where family and friends create a Welcome Home message for a servicewoman using Christmas lights. The woman is able to see them from her seat on the plane. Fine. It's a nice idea, but the depressing dirge playing in the background ruins the warm and fuzzies for me. 

The doctor guy in the Addiction Network commercials has one of the more serious cases of douche face I've seen. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Toyota has a commercial where family and friends create a Welcome Home message for a servicewoman using Christmas lights. The woman is able to see them from her seat on the plane. Fine. It's a nice idea, but the depressing dirge playing in the background ruins the warm and fuzzies for me.

Sometimes I get too nitpicky, but what if she was sleeping and didn't see the message?  Or she was on the other side of the plane?  Or in the bathroom?  Or in an aisle seat?  Or the flight was delayed and she arrived in daylight?

The ad tries too hard and yes, the dirgey music made me think someone had died.

• Love 7
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:12 AM, crazycatlady58 said:

Yes libraries are a great thing ,  but I read mysterys that are series  some of the authors  have over 20 books. When I get a new book  in the series  I start from the first  one  and  read  through  the books till I get to the newest  one. Also my eReader  is lighter to hold  than a hardback  book. 

A) My library comment was mostly meant to be funny, but I rarely have trouble getting my local one to get books for me from other libraries if necessary.

B) I tried a friend's Kindle and hated it.  It was exactly like staring at a computer screen to me.

C) The kid in that commercial doesn't need a bigger TV; he needs glasses.  But I give the father credit for at least trying to choose things his family might actually want.

• Love 2

Moral of the commercial:  You'll never be as good as Jason Witten, but at least you can both have Geico.

Which would be funny, except it doesn't seem that this commercial isn't supposed to be funny.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Sometimes I get too nitpicky, but what if she was sleeping and didn't see the message?  Or she was on the other side of the plane?  Or in the bathroom?  Or in an aisle seat?  Or the flight was delayed and she arrived in daylight?

The ad tries too hard and yes, the dirgey music made me think someone had died.

Also, why did they wait until the last minute to set it up?  And also, how do they know where the plane is going to pass over?  I guess I have to assume they live near an airport that only has one runway.

On 12/18/2016 at 9:41 AM, Brattinella said:

He reminds me of a twelve yr old with a fake beard.

If that's the one I'm thinking of, the guy looks so un-doctorly that I always think it's a fake commercial.

I hate every single Car Max commercial.  They're not funny.  This is the worst one though.  "You're probably wondering why I just carved a giant wooden tiger.  Well the answer is that a real one would maul me.  I crafted Dr. Whiskers here as a visual aid to show you that should you visit the lot, CarMax associates will not pounce..."  Motherfucker, you don't know what you're talking about.  The answer is not that a real one would maul you.  The answer is the next thing, that the tiger is a visual aid.  I hate these commercials so much that I saw that guy on something else and it made me so mad.  (Also, is this guy famous?  Am I supposed to know who he is?  Is this his schtick?)  I hate him about as much as I hate the Mazda voiceover guy. 

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 2

(Also, is this guy famous?  Am I supposed to know who he is?  Is this his schtick?)

His name is Andy Daly. He's a comic/comedic actor and has guest starred in just about every sitcom known to mankind, but I don't think he's ever had a regular role in any of them. He's had recurring roles in a few of them though. He's one of those "hey it's that guy" faces but not well-known enough to have a recognizable name.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, janie jones said:

Also, why did they wait until the last minute to set it up?  And also, how do they know where the plane is going to pass over?  I guess I have to assume they live near an airport that only has one runway.

My first thought was they'll be receiving visits from the FAA and Homeland.  

My question was, if she's going home to see her family for Christmas, why does she looking so fucking miserable.   I mean, I get a lot of people feel that way have to hang out with their family for the holidays but they usually aren't the ones featured in commercials.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Maverick said:

My first thought was they'll be receiving visits from the FAA and Homeland.  

My question was, if she's going home to see her family for Christmas, why does she looking so fucking miserable.   I mean, I get a lot of people feel that way have to hang out with their family for the holidays but they usually aren't the ones featured in commercials.  

My guess is she's been traveling all day--possibly more than a day-- and she's dead tired. I'm always happy to finally land at my home airport, but you could never tell it by my face. 

I do think it's a sweet ad despite all the what-ifs.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, tanyak said:

My guess is she's been traveling all day--possibly more than a day-- and she's dead tired. I'm always happy to finally land at my home airport, but you could never tell it by my face. 

I do think it's a sweet ad despite all the what-ifs.

Yeah, she just looks really tired to me.

• Love 1
On 12/13/2016 at 11:00 AM, Neurochick said:

What bugs me about the commercial is that the dad isn't concerned that his son has friends, he wants his son to be the center of attention.  It's all about who gets the most likes, who has the most followers, etc.  It's not about if his kid is able to make real friends. 

Black Mirror, Nosedive.

• Love 1
On 12/19/2016 at 0:50 AM, AuntiePam said:

Whenever I read a comment like the above, I realize it's not that we overthink things, it's that the people making the commercials aren't thinking at all.  I mean if you're in a room and someone pitches that commercial, the things AuntiePam stated make a lot of sense.  Why not have the message in front of the house, where she's sure to see it? 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 4

I am not a Grinch and I do really love Christmas and a few Christmas ads make me cry/laugh in a good way.  However I would gladly convert to a non-Christian belief if it meant I never ever ever had to hear that God-awful rendition of some woman whisper-croaking "Silver & Gold". It sounds like Yoko Ono doing a Macy Gray impersonation.  Don't even know what she's selling because my brain malfunctions every time I hear it. 

I just hope that one doesn't becomes a "classic" and returns to my TV every Nov/Dec.  I already have to steel myself against seasonal repeat offenders like Levian trying to convince me that dirty, commercial grade, brown stones are (winkwink) "Chocolate" (winkwink) "Diamonds", and Jane Seymour's "collection" of butt shaped necklaces, and Dead Liz Taylor hawking perfume no one has worn since the 80's.

• Love 15

For some reason that God-awful University of Phoenix ad is back on rotation - the one with the girl caterwauling a very bad rendition of "If I Only Had A Brain." The way she keeps dropping out of song to speak her breathy line "still. don't. think. I. have. a. brain?" makes me want to shoot the TV all Elvis-style. Did whoever owns the rights to that song give their permission for this? They ought to sue in any event.

• Love 16
14 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

For some reason that God-awful University of Phoenix ad is back on rotation - the one with the girl caterwauling a very bad rendition of "If I Only Had A Brain." The way she keeps dropping out of song to speak her breathy line "still. don't. think. I. have. a. brain?" makes me want to shoot the TV all Elvis-style. Did whoever owns the rights to that song give their permission for this? They ought to sue in any event.

I IMMEDIATELY dive for the remote when this commercial comes on.  An abomination.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

OMG, that chick makes me so stabby. I hate her infantile, whispery voice. Thanks for setting women's fight for equality back fifty years you vacuous twit.

• Love 9
On 12/17/2016 at 8:35 PM, millennium said:

The GEICO commercial where (I could just say "fill in the blank," couldn't I?) the narrator reads insipid versions of nursery rhymes.   

I don't mind them but the one with Jack who falls on a candle and burns his pants and house confuses me! I just cannot figure out from the illustration how exactly he did ended up like that on the floor!

• Love 2

Are you seriously complaining about clean clothes, you ingrates?  You're as bad as that girl whining in an older ad about her mom washing her jeans.

6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don't mind them but the one with Jack who falls on a candle and burns his pants and house confuses me! I just cannot figure out from the illustration how exactly he did ended up like that on the floor!

Jack trips on a candle and catches his pants on fire; so he stops, drops, and rolls.  However, I wonder why he had the candle sitting on the floor in the first place.

Edited by InDueTime
A missing word.
  • Love 6

I'm not crazy about the addiction center ads, in fact the one meth/crack head who says something about if only his family had insurance he could have gotten better treatment confuses and annoys me. But tonight I heard something the "doctor" says that I don't think I've heard them say before and that was that if you're worried about taking time off from work, the federal family medical leave act could apply to you. None of the addicts in my family work, but there are people who manage to keep their jobs in spite of their addictions, this might be important to know and maybe they should push that info a little more.

• Love 5
On 12/17/2016 at 1:36 AM, callmebetty said:

TattleTeeny were are bibliophile twins. I died at your Norton anthology comment, still have a few of mine. Between Kindle and the library, I rarely buy books anymore.

English major here too.   My Norton anthologies were GONE within two years of graduation.  Although I still have all of my Scribner's trade paperback editions of Hemingway and Fitzgerald.   

I read books as a badge of honor.  In public.   It makes me feel edgy and cool.   Surrounded by ciphers staring at phones and tablets, there I am, unplugged, unconnected, the picture of independence, reading from a printed page.   Once I was reading in my car while parked in a lot waiting to pick up a friend.   A very old man started to get into the car to my right when he glanced over.    He leaned into my passenger window and said, "You're reading a book?" like he'd just seen a ghost.

Kindle?   I think not.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 12
8 hours ago, InDueTime said:

Are you seriously complaining about clean clothes, you ingrates?  You're as bad as that girl whining in an older ad about her mom washing her jeans.

Jack trips on a candle and catches his pants on fire; so he stops, drops, and rolls.  However, I wonder why he had the candle sitting on the floor in the first place.

There was an even older ad for Cheer detergent with a teenage boy whining that his jeans didn't fade because his mom washed them in Cheer.  He says, "I don't get it," and Mom explains that she washed them in the appropriate temperature(this was the "All Tempa-Cheer" days).  He replies, "I still don't get it.  I *wanted* them to fade."

• Love 2
On 12/18/2016 at 0:20 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

The doctor guy in the Addiction Network commercials has one of the more serious cases of douche face I've seen. 

I just saw a new Addiction Network commercial and they replaced douche face with an African American woman.  Like douche-face, she looks too young to be a doctor.  I guess they're trying to appeal to millenials? 

• Love 2

I wish I could embed the illustrations from the book they use in that Geico commercial for Jack because . . . how do I say this? He seems very effeminate in the pictures. The way his hand is bent, his posture, it's very feminine and it's odd he's pictured that way.

I am not homophobic, I don't care if Jack is gay. It's just not what you expect to see in a Little Golden Book.

Anyway, judge for yourself.

• Love 2

My (perverse) thought at that Geico commercial with Jack is:  At the end, he bought new pants at "Banana Republic" and in the drawing, he has his hand in his pocket and what LOOKS LIKE a "Banana" IN his pocket.  Anyone else see this, or I am just a sicko?

• Love 6