Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Agree with TattleTeeny, that the major stinks come from no cleaning whatsoever. With that in mind (about cat-house smell), in my experience, I find most houses with dogs tend to smell like wet dog/dog pee. It doesn't matter the breed or size of the dog. I think that goes along with why dogs need frequent baths and have groomers, and cats are only bathed if there is no other option. I've bathed a few cats in my time and I'm lucky to be here to tell about it.

• Love 5

If anyone else is in the North Jersey area, does this commercial drive you to drink? Ugh, I feel a little bad for hating a very cute and probably very nice girl, but shut up, shut up, shut up!

Edited by TattleTeeny

Charter Cable has been working very hard to make me hate their internet service. First it was a crappy county rock song that used their phone number as the chorus, now it's a rap tune that would have been considered cheesy back in 1985, let alone in 2014. And the worst part is that they don't even offer service in my neighborhood.

Regarding the whole catbox odor thing: Feline Pine seems to work better than anything else I've tried, as long as you remember to scoop it/change it regularly. If that's too expensive, wood pellets for pellet stoves work almost as well (I'm not kidding), although you'll need to scoop the solids out every day or two since it's kind of hard for cats to bury anything in them.

• Love 1

There's a Blue Buffalo one made with fine-grain walnut shells that's pretty good (as is World's Best cat litter, I think). All the non-clay ones are better for cats' respiratory systems. I tried Feline Pine but I felt like it got too soggy. But, like you say, active scooping is key! At least once a day here, often twice if I'm home all day--especially if I'm in the vicinity of a particularly aromatic incident (thank god my two little beasts are done with kitten food; that makes it so much worse).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

I've read that chicken feed makes a fine litter, but I don't have any feed stores near me to try it.  That S'Wheat Scoop is flushable but when it's wet and you scoop it into the toilet, it looks like puke.  Bad enough having to scoop the box without it looking like puke in addition to the poop.  But MY two cats are worth it.

Regarding the whole cat box odor thing: I think it might also have something to do with what you feed them. I've always fed mine Eukanuba, Science Diet or Blue Buffalo (they really like the rabbit), and I've seldom if never had the "smell from hell". OTOH, I did borrow a boy cat years ago to breed a cat (she was lonely, but she hated every kitten I tried to bring in, so I decided to breed her, but then found out she hated travelling so much it knocked her out of heat instantly.) He was an indoor/outdoor fed the cheapest shit she could find - for 3 or 4 days, the house smelled to high heaven as he gobbled down the good stuff and shit his brains out. I actually took him back thinking he hadn't done the job; but we ended up with 5 kittens and I kept one and gave the others away and had Mom and daughter both spayed ASAP. 

• Love 2

Is that the one in regards to "Back to School"? There was a commercial and everybody is doing a happy dance for a back to school sale. I've been out of high school for about 25 years now and I certainly do not remember doing a dance like that when mid to late August rolled around. This is a very exuberant generation it seems.

My favorite is still the one that show Dad dancing in the aisles and gleefully tossing school supplies into his shopping cart while his kids walk along behind as though they're heading to the electric chair, and all to the tune of "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year."

• Love 8

I keep catching the commercial with J-E-F-F and M-A-R-Y with C-O-P-D.  I'm starting to think that C-O-P-D has symptoms that include the N-E-E-D to spell all F-O-U-R letter words.   Of course T-H-I-S makes me W-A-N-T to S-T-A-B T-H-E-M all.  

• Love 6

I know the Charmin bears have been discussed a lot, but who came up with the phrase "enjoy the go". TMI time, don't think I've ever enjoyed the go, felt better yes, but enjoyed, no.

Maybe its a bear thing.

• Love 1

Okay, Fran the Progresso Inurnce lady and her crew have gone mad. What's with the car entering the garage ad? And the car have to be a brotha? And why is a little boy asking about it all? Usually I like the car insurnce aas but this annoys.

I know the Charmin bears have been discussed a lot, but who came up with the phrase "enjoy the go". TMI time, don't think I've ever enjoyed the go, felt better yes, but enjoyed, no.

But I'm not sure where Charmin even fits into that phrase.  I mean, if you get technical, Charmin really isn't part of the "go."  I think they should say "enjoy the after go"

• Love 4

But I'm not sure where Charmin even fits into that phrase.  I mean, if you get technical, Charmin really isn't part of the "go."  I think they should say "enjoy the after go"

Clever....but then again yuck!

• Love 3

I can see the commercial now.

Wife: What are you doing?

Husband: I am preparing to enjoy my go.

Wife: What's on your list?

Husband: I have my Charmin, my Cottonelle wipes, my Fabreeze, a fresh pair of adult diapers. I am all set.

Wife: Honey, don't forget the anti bacterial soap.

Husband: Ahhh! The after go! How could I forget the anti bacterial soap. Clean hands are just as important as a clean bum.

They both laugh.

• Love 4

I can see the commercial now.

Wife: What are you doing?

Husband: I am preparing to enjoy my go.

Wife: What's on your list?

Husband: I have my Charmin, my Cottonelle wipes, my Fabreeze, a fresh pair of adult diapers. I am all set.

Wife: Honey, don't forget the anti bacterial soap.

Husband: Ahhh! The after go! How could I forget the anti bacterial soap. Clean hands are just as important as a clean bum.

They both laugh.

I like where you're going with this!  Can they do a double high five in this commercial?  And are they going to be some sort of cartoon mammal?  Or are you thinking human?  Some provocative mix of human/cartoon mammal?

I prefer to use a silicate cat liiter b/c it absorbs all fluids so I don't have to worry about the stuff evaporating out of the traditional clay litter but when it has reached its limit, it goes bad fast.

My favorite is still the one that show Dad dancing in the aisles and gleefully tossing school supplies into his shopping cart while his kids walk along behind as though they're heading to the electric chair, and all to the tune of "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year."

I love that one too! I don't think've played it for a few years.

I like where you're going with this!  Can they do a double high five in this commercial?  And are they going to be some sort of cartoon mammal?  Or are you thinking human?  Some provocative mix of human/cartoon mammal?

I vote for either Centaurs or Minotaurs.  :)

• Love 1

How about a talking dog inspecting the bowl after use. Takes a picture of the Lysol automatic bowl cleaner and the clean bowl. He then posts it to twitter with the # I like a clean bowl in the morning.

Maybe they could have a marionette lady take the picture instead, while the talking dog provides running commentary.

• Love 1

I wasn't sure where this one was best-fitting but decided on here.T

There's a commercial for Smokey the Bear's 70th birthday with these people presenting him a cake, compete with candles. He responds by giving them some major stink eye, like he's going to kill them, and starts to grab a shovel or bucket of sand, I presume to extinguish the candles, forcing everyone to quickly blow them out. I remember reading in a children's book that you were traumatized by a forest fire that orphaned you when you were a cub, but get a grip (and some therapy)!

• Love 4

Oh yeah, another one!

DirectTV, I think, has returned with their "most powerful sports fan" football package ad campaign and they're douchier than ever! First off, I am tired of everyone and his brother copying those Henry Cavil Superman effects and poses. For another, these football fans are seriously damaging property now.

Am I bad person for hating the Marie Osmond weight loss ads?   Good for her for losing the weight, but the latest one just annoys.   Grandma?  I'm too young to be a Grandma.   No you're not lady, you are just in the right age range.   Then saying she wants to be around for the kids life.   Which is all well and good, but it takes more than losing weight to guarantee you will be around.   It just bugs.   Like "hey I lost 50 pounds, I am immortal now."

• Love 2

The stupid "Jake from State Farm" commercial has now been played more than any in the history of television. Can we please retire the damn thing now??

Agreed. Everytime I see that one I want to slap his wife upside the head :D. Can't stand her XD. Nagging all the time. But in her defense, it would be rather odd seeing anyone up that late at night talking on the phone.

• Love 1

I love the "Jake from State Farm" commercial! I know, the wife should trust her husband, but it is the middle of the night and his side of the conversation does sound a little hinky. What I like the most is how calm the husband is. "Well he's a guy, so."

Yea, that made some sense there in regards to what he said.

Yup... it sounded wrong XD.

Has anyone mentioned the JG Wentworth ads? The stupid song irritates the h*ll out of me! I have to mute the tv every time.

All of those ads that promote buying a structured settlement are terrible. They don't tell you how they're going to rip you off by paying you only cents on the dollar of the whole monies.

• Love 5

I want to gouge out my eyes and ears when the Care.com princess is on my TV. Same with the Amazon Fire? 9 year old "beyond their years" kids. Smug as heck. That said, I never get tired of the car commercial (can't remember the brand or model) where the boy is driving in a toy car and his dad offers him the keys. The kid envisions what it would be like to drive a real car and then promptly tells the dad "No, I'm good". The way the kid acts when he's in traffic, "you're killing me" or buries his head  in his hand (wearing pj's) when dad asks to be picked up at so and so time? Brilliant. The little boy is adorable.

I agree that the Vanilla Ice Mac & Cheese commercial is cheese but I smiled the first time I saw it. I forgot Vanilla Ice did the title song to the old TMNT movie.

Edited by turbogirlnyc
  • Love 4

I cannot stand the juice commercial w/the father from Modern Times . It reiterates his character's stupidity.

I think you mean Modern Family

I never saw him as stupid, either on the show or the commercial.  Just silly. 

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 1

That said, I never get tired of the car commercial (can't remember the brand or model) where the boy is driving in a toy car and his dad offers him the keys. The kid envisions what it would be like to drive a real car and then promptly tells the dad "No, I'm good". The way the kid acts when he's in traffic, "you're killing me" or buries his head  in his hand (wearing pj's) when dad asks to be picked up at so and so time? Brilliant. The little boy is adorable.

I love that commercial too. Though the mom in me always feels worried at the end when he takes off in the direction of the sidewalk/street in his kiddie car without any apparent parental observation (as Dad is about to drive off).

Edited by Stella MD
  • Love 1

Hate those Colonial Life insurance spots where some old people have some stupid, fakey "sincere" conversation post funeral. You are in your 60's or 70's and it just now occurred to you that you will eventually DIE?? Alex Trebeck should be ashamed for schilling on that cheesy shit.

And WHY does every old people commercial:
A. Show a cup of coffee in a saucer by the phone? I'm old and my phone beverage vessel is usually stemware ;)
B. Do they feel the need to show the old person actually dialing and talking on the phone? Isn't the instruction to "call" enough? The old person needs to be reminded how to actually place a call???

eta: spell Trebek correctly.

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 3

Same with the Amazon Fire? 9 year "beyond their years" kids. Smug as heck.

I hate these ads enough to want to hurt children. The faux-hipster kids in their stupid jaded arrogance need to go away. I'm not even going to address the wisdom of 9 year olds having what appears to be no restrictions on smart phones. Guess what Amazon? If I was even considering your phone the crappy ads with the crappy kids would make me reconsider quicker than you can say shut up kid.
  • Love 3

That's one of the many problems with having kids act like adults in commercials - not only do they annoy me, but I'm distracted by the fact they are apparently allowed to wander all over town unsupervised, and have unrestricted phone/internet access. 

• Love 3

I guess I am just too old.  I see no earthly reason a child should have a cell phone.  Their helicopter moms are there all the time anyway.  Did you see the new app a mom made? When her teenager refused to call her back, she created this app that would lock their kid's phone for everything EXCEPT 911 and calling the parent back, no games, no text, no phone.  Hell, the PARENT is paying for said phone!  I love this and hope it catches on.

• Love 6

Yeah, I am with you on the Colonial Penn commercials.

Trebek should be ashamed of himself for promoting this expensive rip off - you pay $10 a month for $2500 coverage.  Do that for a few years and tell me that that makes financial sense.  While we're at it, whoever did his makeup for that commercial should be fired - he looks strange and sickly.

• Love 1
I guess I am just too old.  I see no earthly reason a child should have a cell phone.  Their helicopter moms are there all the time anyway.  Did you see the new app a mom made? When her teenager refused to call her back, she created this app that would lock their kid's phone for everything EXCEPT 911 and calling the parent back, no games, no text, no phone.  Hell, the PARENT is paying for said phone!  I love this and hope it catches on.

My Mom's "app" would have been to snatch the phone out of my hand the minute I walked through the door.

Now today, I haven't FF'd through commercials, so I have seen the Always pee pad commercials about 6 times.  Can someone explain to me why women like to dance around whilst they pee themselves?  And... is all of a sudden every woman on the planet just letting it flow?

Edited by zillabreeze
  • Love 2

Well then me too.  My favorite thing to tell my kid in my mom voice is:  do you know how old I was when I got my own cell phone?  Thirty-one.  When I could pay the bill myself, incidentally.

Andplusalso, bratt?  I'm gonna need the name of this app.   While I fully fistpump the hand snatch, she's faster than I.  

• Love 2

I am so glad my mom hasn't figured out what an app even is yet.   I might be a full grown adult, but she would still try it if she knew it existed.

BTW, the Jake From State Farm Shrew is now on the radio.   THey are in marriage counseling because he keeps calling Jake.   Probably because Jake doesn't nag like she does.   Although it seems to be a new shrew because her voice is different and she emphasizes different words.   Still a shrew though.

• Love 1

......then after describing their marriage *problem*, the counselor asks the shrew if he can have Jake's phone number.    I kinda love the beast poking but I don't want this to turn into that fancy feast series where we see two people grow from dating singletons to a cat loving family that now includes some whole floor to ceiling feline jungle gym or some shit. 

BTW, the Jake From State Farm Shrew is now on the radio. THey are in marriage counseling because he keeps calling Jake. Probably because Jake doesn't nag like she does. Although it seems to be a new shrew because her voice is different and she emphasizes different words. Still a shrew though.

First, I want to say I apologize for my initial post abt State Farm Hubby having an affair w/Jake. It was not my intent to cast aspersions upon anyone's sexuality.

My intent wasto suggest that maybe shrew-wife is onto something w/hubby calling Jake all the time, but she had the wrong sex.

As a Republican, gay rights activist (an anomaly I know), who has a gay SIL, I am the furthest away from a homophobe.

Again, my apologies.

I kinda love the beast poking, but I don't want this to turn into that fancy feast series where we see two people grow from dating singletons to a cat loving family that now includes some whole floor to ceiling feline jungle gym or some shit. 

You say this like it's a bad thing.

My kitties have a cat tree, but it isn't up to the ceiling. It's only 6 feet tall. :)

• Love 1

why do I expect to hear about a sudden uptick in 911 calls about their cellphone on lockdown?
  • Love 4