Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On 4/13/2022 at 12:44 PM, proserpina65 said:

I see that one and say "Why would you take the food to the person painting instead of having them come over to the table where the food is?" every single time.

I assumed someone was painting before they moved in and the furniture hadn't arrived yet.

I remember using these.

Paper plate holder.jpg

• Love 10
33 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I assumed someone was painting before they moved in and the furniture hadn't arrived yet.

I remember using these.

Paper plate holder.jpg

Still, why take the plate full of food to where someone is painting instead of maybe the middle of the room nowhere near the wet paint?

• Like 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

I remember using these.

Paper plate holder.jpg

We had those, and later we had the plastic version.  My parents still use them when they use paper plates.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, LegalParrot81 said:

Limu is starting to wear out his welcome, too.

'Starting'?! 

Actually, IMO, he wouldn't be so bad if he weren't saddled with that obnoxious Doug! 

• Love 17
11 hours ago, Blergh said:
On 4/15/2022 at 10:00 AM, LegalParrot81 said:

Limu is starting to wear out his welcome, too.

'Starting'?! 

Actually, IMO, he wouldn't be so bad if he weren't saddled with that obnoxious Doug! 

I'm not to that point yet. Actually, I hated the first ones as it seemed the emu didn't want to be there, but I kinda like the one where the emu goes running past Doug and he says it's the best time yet and the emu keeps running, then there's complete silence for a couple of seconds which I find remarkable in an ad, and then Doug says 'He'll be back'

• Love 2

This commercial featuring Melissa McCarthy and the Property Brothers (Drew & Jonathan) annoys me to no end:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/bqDe/chase-myhome-breaking-stuff-featuring-melissa-mccarthy-jonathan-scott-drew-scott

Probably because McCarthy is being obnoxious by breaking stuff while the brothers are trying to talk to her and then it's revealed she's breaking their stuff the whole time!!

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, magicdog said:

This commercial featuring Melissa McCarthy and the Property Brothers (Drew & Jonathan) annoys me to no end:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/bqDe/chase-myhome-breaking-stuff-featuring-melissa-mccarthy-jonathan-scott-drew-scott

Probably because McCarthy is being obnoxious by breaking stuff while the brothers are trying to talk to her and then it's revealed she's breaking their stuff the whole time!!

She's really hit or miss for me. I loved her impression of Sean Spicer but when she was on Gilmore Girls, I found her incredibly unfunny.

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

She's really hit or miss for me. I loved her impression of Sean Spicer but when she was on Gilmore Girls, I found her incredibly unfunny.

She wasn't bad on Mike & Molly though.  Although I credit a good supporting cast in that show.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, magicdog said:

She wasn't bad on Mike & Molly though.  Although I credit a good supporting cast in that show.

Yes! I did like her in that. Maybe because next to her mother and sister, she didn't seem so overbearing.

• Love 1
On 4/10/2022 at 9:09 PM, KLovestoShop said:

The new Uber Eats commercials literally make me gag, and I turn the channel.  These idiots ask if you can eat everything that Uber Eats delivers and one guy takes a big bite out of a bar of soap and another is shoving cellophane tape in his mouth. Those things really trigger my gag reflex.  

Me too! I thought the one with the lady eating the lipstick was bad but these ones are even worse.

• Love 7
On 4/10/2022 at 9:09 PM, KLovestoShop said:

The new Uber Eats commercials literally make me gag, and I turn the channel.  These idiots ask if you can eat everything that Uber Eats delivers and one guy takes a big bite out of a bar of soap and another is shoving cellophane tape in his mouth. Those things really trigger my gag reflex.  

The sonic commercials all bug me, but especially the one with the husband and wife talking about the noises they make eating bacon.  It's so gross.  I have to change it. 

• Love 4

Re T-Mobile's newest commercial with everyone singing Veruca Salt's definitive song of greed and entitlement  (from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory [1971]), ' I Want the World! I Want the WHOLE World!" : where's the Bad Egg trapdoor chute  when we need it?

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

The Huggies commercial with the baby chewing on its hands while the dad changes its diaper.  The dad explains that the weird thing it's tasting is skin.  Sorry, I don't want to be associating the taste of skin with a dirty diaper.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Leeds said:

The Huggies commercial with the baby chewing on its hands while the dad changes its diaper.  The dad explains that the weird thing it's tasting is skin.  Sorry, I don't want to be associating the taste of skin with a dirty diaper.

Agreed. Bleh.

• Love 4

I actually watched the GEICO commercial instead of doing something else while it was on. It's the one with the introvert in the diner.  I had to look it up on ispot.tv.  The introvert is Jessica Gardner, but I thought for sure she was related to Anne Meara, like a niece or something. I think she resembles her a lot.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I know I've complained about this one before, but I just saw it for the first time in months and got annoyed all over again:  The GEICO "We don't need any more acronyms" commercial only includes a couple of acronyms; the rest are all initialisms.  Just say "abbreviations" instead, GEICO!

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I know I've complained about this one before, but I just saw it for the first time in months and got annoyed all over again:  The GEICO "We don't need any more acronyms" commercial only includes a couple of acronyms; the rest are all initialisms.  Just say "abbreviations" instead, GEICO!

Yes! Thank you!

• Love 2

I have no patience for that investment firm commercial that perpetuates the narrative that women make less money then men. The ones with class envy were bad enough,  now this? 😬

23 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Me too! I thought the one with the lady eating the lipstick was bad but these ones are even worse.

Did I see Gwenyth Paltrow trying to eat her vagina candle in one scene (and not noticing)? 🤮🤮

• Love 2

The Ladder Life Insurance commercial is just so moronic -- the first talking head breathlessly (and brainlessly) announces "I LITERALLY Googled life insurance and Ladder popped up!"  (paraphrased as I refuse to look it up).  And then, "I've got life insurance!" said in the same tone a toddler announces they've actually pooped in the toilet this time. 🙄

Plenty of shady sites can get themselves "promoted" to show up first in search results.  It means little to nothing, and sounds like an idiotic way to choose any product, let alone one that requires more than a cursory glance before sign up.

Thank you for allowing me to vent, CTAIOE!

• Love 11
10 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Did I see Gwenyth Paltrow trying to eat her vagina candle in one scene (and not noticing)? 🤮🤮

Yup.  Not surprising she found it tasty.

• LOL 4
19 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I have no patience for that investment firm commercial that perpetuates the narrative that women make less money then men. The ones with class envy were bad enough,  now this? 😬

Are you talking about the commercial where a man and woman are saying the exact same words and then he breaks off and says he makes x amount  more than she does? I hate that ad. First time I saw it, I screamed questions at the  TV. "Do they work in the same industry? Same city? Do they have the same number of years experience? " All of these factors can affect pay. 

• Love 2

The Old Navy commercials with ladies dancing down the sidewalk wearing dresses that belonged in Ma Ingalls' closet.  Seriously, no jaunty dance number is going to make those all the rage

• LOL 6
  • Love 10
17 hours ago, ctlady said:

The Old Navy commercials with ladies dancing down the sidewalk wearing dresses that belonged in Ma Ingalls' closet.  Seriously, no jaunty dance number is going to make those all the rage

Someone is trying to make them all the rage.  That's all you see in stores.

• Love 1

Just saw this one, it's for Home Title Lock.  I'm not really sure how big a problem this is, where someone steals your home by filing false papers.  But the spokesperson talks about how he used to do this, and how easy it is.  He does so with smug giggles, and just rubs me wrong.

21 hours ago, ctlady said:

Visit your local Target. It's full of these hideous dresses, for girls and women.

My current hated commercial is the one for Carvana, with the lady telling everyone about how her son told her about Carvana. Just can't hit mute fast enough.

• Love 9

I've been getting Carvana ads in Spanish - on an English-speaking channel, all of a sudden, here's this Spanish version of a Carvana ad. I don't understand who their target audience is. Do Hispanic folks typically watch ST:TNG on Pluto in English and then welcome a commercial in their own language?

AND..looking at it, is that chick in the bathtub holding her phone/iPad/whatever and texting with her FEET?

1 hour ago, Deskisamess said:

My current hated commercial is the one for Carvana, with the lady telling everyone about how her son told her about Carvana. Just can't hit mute fast enough.

Yes!  I loathe this commercial and this lady so much.  Are we really expected to believe she is so excited that she can't stop talking about Carvana and has to tell everyone she sees?  The hairdresser, the nude art model, etc?  The worst thing about this is that I think she is actually a judge?  Would a judge have so little self-awareness?  Interrupting her son's business meeting on the projection screen?  No.  Just NO.

• Love 2
On 4/19/2022 at 1:56 PM, ctlady said:

Are they trying to revive Gunne Sax?  Those were all the rage many years ago.  I remember them being very Little House on the Prairie.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Are they trying to revive Gunne Sax?  Those were all the rage many years ago.  I remember them being very Little House on the Prairie.

Gunne Sax dresses were expensive, with lots of lace etc. They didn't look like shapeless sacks made out of cheap gauze fabric.

28177475-2359-4800-9A2C-355EF6190302.jpeg

Edited by Deskisamess
Adding pic
  • Love 9
On 4/19/2022 at 12:56 PM, ctlady said:

I thought the light blue pleated skirt with the yellow sweater looked cute, but I'm a guy, so what do I know?

• Love 1

There's an ad for an electric car that is being used to give creature comfort to a camp-out. It's (supposedly) powering not one, but two, of those outdoor heat lamps (along with lots of other stuff I imagine).

Now we just installed backup batteries in our garage to support our critical loads (we have solar panels) when the power goes out (as it often does in our very "tree lined" area). Our critical loads don't include ovens, dryers, air handlers, and other high usage things.

A couple of weeks ago our furnace went out- we still had power so we could use space heaters. Because of the batteries I can see our real-time electricity usage. Those things are RIDICULOUS electricity hogs. Somehow I doubt that a car can power two of those things for very long and still have much oomph to go out and get pesto. 

• Love 3

A couple of weeks ago our furnace went out- we still had power so we could use space heaters. Because of the batteries I can see our real-time electricity usage. Those things are RIDICULOUS electricity hogs. Somehow I doubt that a car can power two of those things for very long and still have much oomph to go out and get pesto. 

I just got a Kerosun heater. My parents had one and they're handy but kerosene is expensive too. I wish someone would invent battery operated space heaters that could be used like long distance EV batteries.

• Love 2

^getting off topic, but we have one oil-filled radiator type heater and it was much less of a pig than the radiant blower types. But Lowes was out of them in early April. Wrong time of year to buy a heater LOL.

• Love 2
On 4/16/2022 at 8:38 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

The sonic commercials all bug me, but especially the one with the husband and wife talking about the noises they make eating bacon.  It's so gross.  I have to change it. 

And their food is even more terrible than their commercials.  I'm vegetarian and so am limited in what I eat from there, but they make grilled cheese without buttering the bread (!!!) and can't even make decent french fries.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, lh25 said:

Just saw this one, it's for Home Title Lock.  I'm not really sure how big a problem this is, where someone steals your home by filing false papers.  But the spokesperson talks about how he used to do this, and how easy it is.  He does so with smug giggles, and just rubs me wrong.

Buy a title insurance  owner's policy at closing (the mortgage lender REQUIRES you to buy a lender's  title insurance policy, but that only protects them,  not you.) It's a  one-time fee based on the price of the home, and protects your equity in the event of fraud. Well worth the money and cheaper than this crap.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 4/20/2022 at 11:30 AM, Deskisamess said:

Visit your local Target. It's full of these hideous dresses, for girls and women.

Gilead inspired dresses being all the rage.  Peachy.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Buy a title insurance  owner's policy at closing (the mortgage lender REQUIRES you to buy a lender's  title insurance policy, but that only protects them,  not you.) It's a  one-time fee based on the price of the home, and protects your equity in the event of fraud. Well worth the money and cheaper than this crap.

But goes away once the mortgage is paid off.

On 4/14/2022 at 5:50 PM, Browncoat said:

We had those, and later we had the plastic version.  My parents still use them when they use paper plates.

But why not just use actual plates then? Not judging -- this popped into my mind literally right now, well after a lifetime of seeing my mom and grandma do this! Is it just to avoid having to wash the real plates?

35 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

But why not just use actual plates then? Not judging -- this popped into my mind literally right now, well after a lifetime of seeing my mom and grandma do this! Is it just to avoid having to wash the real plates?

Totally to avoid washing plates, at least at my mom's house.  And mine on occasion.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

100% to avoid washing plates.  My parents generally use paper plates when the whole family is at their house.  They don't own a dishwasher, and my mother doesn't want to spend any more time than she has to washing dishes. 

• Love 11
On 3/14/2022 at 12:38 PM, dgpolo said:

A commercial that's been bugging me a bit, not up to levels of irritation but...

It's the Dish Network ad where the Mom is listening to the weather and it gets so bad she is ordering everyone into the basement whereupon her young son goes running out the door.

Next scene is them all in the basement, with their 3 dogs, when Dad comes in.

1. If the weather is that bad that you're keeping track of warnings why aren't your dogs already in the house

2. It's a very bad idea for young children to go running outside if the weather is bad enough to send you to the basement. I kept waiting for some kind of disclaimer but nope.

you don't live in tornado alley, do you? Grew up in Missouri, live in Oklahoma. We go outside to look at the sky when there's a tornado warning. Editing to add, don't do this when it sounds like a freight train is approaching! But, when I see the ad, I think Kansas, farm, Dorothy, tornado. 

Edited by friendperidot
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

you don't live in tornado alley, do you? Grew up in Missouri, live in Oklahoma. We go outside to look at the sky when there's a tornado warning. 

Iowan here, and yep, same ;p. Hell, I've been in stores where people are still going about their shopping when there's a tornado warning. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3