Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I cannot stand the new kid in the wheelchair in the Shriners Children's Hospital commercial. I feel bad for him, but he gets on my nerves. I also wonder if the kids really make the baskets while trying to make the shot with the basketball or if someone else does it for them. Having the commercial shoved down the viewer's throats constantly probably makes people not want to donate.

I know what you mean.  It's like they tried to find the "most" kid and put him front and center.  I still support Shriners, because they have helped a few people I know, but yes, the commercial doesn't make me want to jump to donate extra or anything.  Same with Saint Jude.  I support Saint Jude, but their most recent commercial has this horrible music that just drives me bonkers.

9 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I love Twizzlers, but hate those ads. Yeah, sticking something in my face like that won't make me laugh. It will make me want to punch you. 

I think the music annoys me more than anything else.  Nightmare inducing.

• Love 5
On 8/29/2018 at 10:01 AM, Milburn Stone said:

You know how Farmer's Insurance has that very unique and memorable musical tag, the a cappella vocal group that sings "We are Farmer's, da da da da da da da"? Last night I noticed that Liberty has out and out copied them. An a cappella vocal group singing "Liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty." 

Since they refer to themselves as "Liberty Mutual" in their ads, why should I think of them when I hear just the word "Liberty"? I'm more likely to think of the tax prep company. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Since they refer to themselves as "Liberty Mutual" in their ads, why should I think of them when I hear just the word "Liberty"? I'm more likely to think of the tax prep company. 

That's what the jingle is trying to change for you.

12 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I cannot stand the new kid in the wheelchair in the Shriners Children's Hospital commercial. I feel bad for him, but he gets on my nerves. I also wonder if the kids really make the baskets while trying to make the shot with the basketball or if someone else does it for them. Having the commercial shoved down the viewer's throats constantly probably makes people not want to donate.

I can not stand those "Wuv to the Wescue!" ads.  Just....no.

I have a feeling many people may find the "Turketarians" annoying but dang....they crack me up!!!  "What is this?  Thanksgiving?"

• Love 2

There’s a commercial for something called Good Rx—low-cost (purportedly) prescriptions. Some dude in it says, “I have good insurance but Good Rx saves me even more money.” Meanwhile, there’s a disclaimer on the bottom that says “Good Rx cannot be combined with any form of insurance.” WTF?

• Love 2

I think the gist is that they find sufficient discounts/coupons that what you end up paying is (purportedly) less than what you'd pay if you had to go through your insurance. Or it's helpful if whatever your med is isn't covered by your insurance without hitting a massive deductible first. 

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe--I am not gonna pretend to get it. So the people just not use insurance when they buy the meds then? I just do not quite understand (and I tangentially work in the healthcare industry, haha!).

Yes. One uses GoodRx in place of insurance in the pharmacy's computer system so the authorization for the med doesn't go through insurance. I only know this because I've used GoodRx before. It's really pretty fantastic. It's completely free and saves a great deal of money--like, literally $100s in some cases. I've used it in the past to buy my prescriptions at Costco, which is well documented (and anecdotally told to you by me) as the cheapest place to buy meds. No membership needed.

I've spent so much on doctors, meds and treatments this year, though, that my meds are now free* through my insurance and have been for a month or two now. They'd normally be about $350/month (via GoodRx, not retail!) out of pocket or $150/month before deductible on insurance.

*"Free" not counting the montly insurance premium.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

There’s a commercial for something called Good Rx—low-cost (purportedly) prescriptions. Some dude in it says, “I have good insurance but Good Rx saves me even more money.” Meanwhile, there’s a disclaimer on the bottom that says “Good Rx cannot be combined with any form of insurance.” WTF?

GoodRx is fantastic if your insurance doesn't sufficiently cover meds.

• Love 1

Here's a tip for folks approaching Medicare age...When I got to that point, I had NO prescription meds, so I saw no point to getting Part D and paying $49/mo premium. "I'll wait until I need it..."  NO. Do NOT do that.  When you finally do need it and apply for it, M'Care calculates how many months you were eligible and *didn't* have it, calculates a surcharge/penalty based on that number of months and adds it to your premium IN PERPETUITY (or until they change the law, which I don't see happening any time soon.)  I was made aware of this by a woman who specializes in Medicare counseling...in a hotel's hot tub, where we just happened to be relaxing at the same time & started chatting.

I now use Good RX and a discount card I was sent in the mail from god-knows-who that turns out to be better than the AARP discount card *and* Good RX for the meds I take. Walgreen's has input all 3 discount cards that I have into my account and they'll use whichever one is cheaper for me from now on.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

10 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I think the gist is that they find sufficient discounts/coupons that what you end up paying is (purportedly) less than what you'd pay if you had to go through your insurance. Or it's helpful if whatever your med is isn't covered by your insurance without hitting a massive deductible first. 

10 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe--I am not gonna pretend to get it. So the people just not use insurance when they buy the meds then? I just do not quite understand (and I tangentially work in the healthcare industry, haha!).

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

GoodRx is fantastic if your insurance doesn't sufficiently cover meds.

GoodRx is awesome if you don't have insurance, or have crappy insurance, like I do.  I have to hit my deductible, which is sky high, before they help with any meds.  So I use GoodRx and got my costs down to $115/mo for all of my generic meds, except for my one med that I have to take a bunch of pills per month.  That one costs me $150 for a 3 month supply, where it would be $75 for a single month supply, so I get one month essentially free.  When I need that med, I put it on a credit card with a zero balance, and make 3 payments of $50 until I need it again.  They can't help very much with non-generics.  I get those from the various drug company assistance programs, but the one I probably won't qualify for next year, despite the costs of their meds for me and my husband would exceed what we make in a month.  So I've decided at the first of the year to quietly start looking for another job that provides better benefits.

But yes, if you use your insurance to pay for meds, you can't also use GoodRx.  I don't get any credit for any of my meds toward my deductible because I use it, which is crap to me, because I'm paying less, so less would go to my deductible.  Makes no sense.  In some cases, you can get a cheaper rate for a med through GoodRx than through insurance - especially if your insurance demands you use meds (even generic) from a specific company (CVS does this a lot).  My husband's price for Omeprazole went up sky high through CVS when we had better insurance, but he could get them much cheaper through GoodRx if he paid out of pocket rather than running them through insurance - they could use a different company that made the same identical pill.  And GoodRx is honest when you can do better than them by paying outright cash - two of his meds are like that.  I find them to be the best of all of the coupons out there.  You can set up an account for free, and input all of your meds.   It will tell you where you get your best deals.  We switched to a different pharmacy when we found we could save $150/mo by doing that.  They also offer a membership program for deeper discounts, but in the end, for our meds we couldn't justify the cost of the monthly fee because we weren't saving much.  But some meds would have been worth it.

• Love 1

The cell phone ad with the guy whining about how slow his phone is, and his sister(?) tells him to buy a new one, and when he makes noncommittal noises, asks “What’s it going to take, a celebrity?”  My response would be “If they buy it for me, yeah.”

• Love 5

The latest Surface Pro ad with the “Salmon Sisters” irks the beejeebus outta me.  It isn’t the content or the product that annoys me.  The 2 women are attractive and apparently run a nice fishing business...I have no idea.  However, I think it’s the tone or pitch of their voices and the cadence of their speech.  They sound like they’re doing a Playmates of the Month podcast. Too baby voiced and too giggly or something. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, smittykins said:

The cell phone ad with the guy whining about how slow his phone is, and his sister(?) tells him to buy a new one, and when he makes noncommittal noises, asks “What’s it going to take, a celebrity?”  My response would be “If they buy it for me, yeah.”

Well, I just learned something! All this time, I've been thinking his sister/friend/girlfriend/random young woman on the couch says, "What's it going to take? A selfie?" I've been confused why Aubrey Plaza then bursts through the wall like the Kool-Aid Man. She takes a selfie with him so he gets a new phone (well, Aubrey brings it with her).

One thing I do understand in the commercial is when Aubrey says, "Google, take a selfie!" (or just "Take a selfie!" I don't remember exactly.) The guy says, "It (the advertised LG phone) can do that?!" It's not the only Android phone model that can. I have a two-year-old Huawei Nexus 6p that will do it.

I don't know about iPhones because I'm not about that life.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

One thing I do understand in the commercial is when Aubrey says, "Google, take a selfie!" (or just "Take a selfie!" I don't remember exactly.) The guy says, "It (the advertised LG phone) can do that?!" It's not the only Android phone model that can. I have a two-year-old Huawei Nexus 6p that will do it.

That part of the commercial bugs me because it makes my Google Home devices answer back, "I'm sorry, I'm not able to help with that yet." I don't like my TV and my digital assistant having conversations without me.

Edited by jcbrown
because it's hard to avoid typos when typing around a cat
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

The latest Surface Pro ad with the “Salmon Sisters” irks the beejeebus outta me.  It isn’t the content or the product that annoys me.  The 2 women are attractive and apparently run a nice fishing business...I have no idea.  However, I think it’s the tone or pitch of their voices and the cadence of their speech.  They sound like they’re doing a Playmates of the Month podcast. Too baby voiced and too giggly or something. 

That's the one! Baby-voice AND vocal fry!

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:01 AM, Milburn Stone said:

I have no idea how long Liberty Insurance has been doing this, and apologies if it's been mentioned, but...

You know how Farmer's Insurance has that very unique and memorable musical tag, the a cappella vocal group that sings "We are Farmer's, da da da da da da da"? Last night I noticed that Liberty has out and out copied them. An a cappella vocal group singing "Liberty, liberty, liberty, liberty." This is shameless. As in, the agency and client must literally have no ability to feel shame.

Why is this shameless?  

OMG.  I just saw the most offensive commercial ever.  It’s for the Dollar Shave Club and it shows men getting ready for whatever.  The first is  a man wearing a short robe, bending forward and putting powder on his privates—-he’s facing the camera doing this.   Next, is a man covering his nipples with duct tape in order to remove chest hair——-you see him yanking the tape.  Finally, it’s a man in shorts shoving toilet paper in his crotch to give the appearance of a bigger bulge.  All this to the music of Frank Sinatra singing I Gotta Be Me.  If the ad agency thinks this is funny, they need to re-evaluate.  

• Love 10
16 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

OMG.  I just saw the most offensive commercial ever.  It’s for the Dollar Shave Club and it shows men getting ready for whatever.  The first is  a man wearing a short robe, bending forward and putting powder on his privates—-he’s facing the camera doing this.   Next, is a man covering his nipples with duct tape in order to remove chest hair——-you see him yanking the tape.  Finally, it’s a man in shorts shoving toilet paper in his crotch to give the appearance of a bigger bulge.  All this to the music of Frank Sinatra singing I Gotta Be Me.  If the ad agency thinks this is funny, they need to re-evaluate.  

I saw it today too and agree. Stupid commercial and whoever dreamed it up should be fired.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, riley702 said:

Schneickies! 

Hadn't seen that before.

The comments below it are...something. "This is the empowering video men have wanted." So, I guess starring in ~80%* of movies and TV shows and being ~75% of the creative staff behind TV and movies isn't empowering enough.

Allegedly the man stuffing his pants with toilet paper is the company's CEO.

*Based upon a quick Google search of articles from NPR, Variety and Women in Hollywood.

I love ChikFilA as far as their food is concerned. The latest commercial with the “single mom” of four kids who couldn’t get her kids to their family night with food and games or whatever. The mom said an employee noticed she couldn’t get her kids there on time so got the manager to extend the hours. HUH? You do not have four toddlers. These are middle school/high school kids. Here’s what you say MOM: The car leaves at 5:30. Be in it or be hungry.” Done. No wonder this country is going to hell in a hand basket. 

• Love 17
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I refuse to eat at/support a homophobic company like Chik-Fi La.

I refuse to eat at/support a company that can't be bothered to spell 'chick' much less 'fillet'. If they can't spell their supposed touted product, how can one expect them to make it close to edible?

Edited by Blergh
question instead of exclamation
  • Love 5
11 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

It's spelled Chick-Fil-A, but I don't eat there, either.

OK, I guess one out of two words spelled correctly is better than zero but that still doesn't give me confidence that they know beans about poultry so I'm still avoiding it!

• Love 1

Since the mother of the obnoxious rapping X- finity girl seems to have totally fled the premises and let her kid wreak havoc on that business, I'm hoping her father shows up and tells her she's going to go to boarding school until college for ruining those employees' and other customers' day with her stunts!

• Love 5
23 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

We've discussed it over on Favorite Commercials.  I think it's wildly hysterical.  I FF through almost all commercials except the Dollar Shaves.  IMHO, they're creative and funny as hell. 

• Love 6

I'm watching Harry Potter on SyFy, and it seems like the Rhonda Rousey Twizzler ad is on every single time they break for commercials.  As if it weren't annoying enough just seeing it once or twice a day, I've seen it three or four times every hour for several hours!  Ugh.

• Love 8
On 9/1/2018 at 12:01 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I wouldn't say offensive, but I think the commercial is certainly tacky.

• Love 2
On 9/1/2018 at 8:14 PM, Blergh said:

OK, I guess one out of two words spelled correctly is better than zero but that still doesn't give me confidence that they know beans about poultry so I'm still avoiding it!

Well, they couldn't exactly trademark "chick fillet".

• Love 2
10 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

Dabble or something, I hear it on the radio all the time now and I hate the woman who says Now I'm speaking spanish! woohoo!! I just came across the tv version and they don't show her. It isn't just the woman who irritates me, the whole sound of the commercial is annoying.

Probably Babbel

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Okay, my kids are now 19 and 20 and I would internally roll my eyes when parents would blather on and on about their kid's safety, especially when they were little.  Yeah, because before I had kids I drove with my left leg out of the window, smoked a bowl while chugging whiskey.  And I never wore a seat belt and danced on my roof at midnight!!!!  Cause I don't matter!!!  But the kids.....

@Mrs. Hanson, quoting the old United Way commercials, "I don't know you, but I love you!"  

• Love 2