Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

The little snot in the ad for Cascade dishwasher detergent. "My mom used to wash the dishes before she put them in the dishwasher.." yes. Because some people use their dishwasher to sanitize their dishes moreso than to clean them as such. I get what they're going for, but that little girl just annoys me. 

• Love 11
2 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

The little snot in the ad for Cascade dishwasher detergent. "My mom used to wash the dishes before she put them in the dishwasher.." yes. Because some people use their dishwasher to sanitize their dishes moreso than to clean them as such. I get what they're going for, but that little girl just annoys me. 

The thing with the Cascade ad is it doesn't depend on your detergent - it depends on your dishwasher. We had a builder grade dishwasher and it didn't matter what detergent you used, you had to rinse the dishes before washing. We upgraded to a top of the line Bosch - game changer. Throw them in dirty and they come out pristine.

• Love 11

There's a commercial for a deodorant now available in a small size, like a lip gloss, and a woman is shown sitting at her desk, applying deodorant to her under-arm.  Wth?  Why not just freshen up with a clean tampon, too?  No need to go into the ladies' room--we're all adults here.

• Love 19
25 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

There's a commercial for a deodorant now available in a small size, like a lip gloss, and a woman is shown sitting at her desk, applying deodorant to her under-arm.  Wth?  Why not just freshen up with a clean tampon, too?  No need to go into the ladies' room--we're all adults here.

LOL!  I feel the same way.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

True. But then you've got all the stuff from your dishes clogging your drain at some point. 

We just got a new dishwasher and the installer told me to never, ever use those detergent packets.  He said they ruin your appliance worse than food.  Basically, the plastic coating doesn't always melt so over time that plastic builds up in the drain.  He said that he gets so many repair jobs for dishwashers and he finds that the problem is the unmelted plastic.  

I've always hated the insurance commercials with that doom and gloom guy, but I absolutely hate his newest one where he swallows the wedding bands.  Do advertisers really think we're going to buy their insurance with commercials that insult our intelligence?   Like the obnoxious guy who's on a game show and won $4 million dollars.   What does that lunacy have to do with insurance.  

And my final rant is obnoxious kids doing commercials.  There's the girl for the Good Feet Store, the nasty child who goes with mom and dad because her sibling is going to be born, and any kid for insurance.  Of course you have local commercials where the person who owns the company thinks their child is adorable, but you can't understand a thing the kids says.  

• Love 4

I realized that my hate of many commercials stems from having to watch the same ones over and over and over. They would otherwise seem innocuous but it’s just hearing and seeing them as nauseum really fuels my annoyance. There’s one commercial that is played every morning while the Today show is on. It’s with a dad playing a dinosaur or something while his kids cling to his legs and a song plays that would normally not bother me but is now grating on my nerves. I think it’s for a credit company or a bank. In the past it was the constant commercials for broadway shows (maybe bc I’m in the Tri state area).  Those made me NOT want to see Wicked with the belting/singing/screeching throughout the commercial. Same with the Gloria Estefan musical...not so much the belting but how many times can one hear the same one line from “get on your feet” before it makes you crazy. And now it’s A bronx Tale...yes I get it, it’s a cross between jersey boys and west side story. Enough!

yes I’m grumpy 

• Love 9

Those Liberty ads just make me so angry.  They feed into the notion that no one needs to take responsibility for his/her actions.  It’s the other driver’s fault for getting so crazed over a “teeny” scratch, or “minor” ding.  Really?  Yet I am 100% sure that if one of these types of drivers were on the other side of the “no big deal” accident, they would be ranting and raving.  They’d sue for damages, go out on disability and walk around wearing a neck brace because someone “barely scratched” their broken down 1989 Honda Civic with 125,000 miles, duct taped windshield, and bald tires.  So take your Sharpie accident erasing pen and sign up for driving lessons, asshole. Or better yet, find a class to teach you how to act like a responsible adult.

• Love 23
(edited)
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

Those Liberty ads just make me so angry.  They feed into the notion that no one needs to take responsibility for his/her actions.  It’s the other driver’s fault for getting so crazed over a “teeny” scratch, or “minor” ding.  Really?  Yet I am 100% sure that if one of these types of drivers were on the other side of the “no big deal” accident, they would be ranting and raving.  They’d sue for damages, go out on disability and walk around wearing a neck brace because someone “barely scratched” their broken down 1989 Honda Civic with 125,000 miles, duct taped windshield, and bald tires.  So take your Sharpie accident erasing pen and sign up for driving lessons, asshole. Or better yet, find a class to teach you how to act like a responsible adult.

Yes times 1,000.  I've already written about Liberty, but they make me angry, too.  The special snowflakes that think that the results of their poor driving shouldn't cost them anything and think that if they total their car, they get a new one with again, no cost.  Where do these morons think the money for repairs and replacement cars come from?  Do they believe in the car fairy?

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 15
5 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I simply don't understand the need for the specially packaged deodorant. A sample size/mini deodorant stick is, like, a dollar, and lasts quite a while. Keep one in your desk drawer, your car and your travel bag. Who wants more shit to carry around in their purse?

And yeah, she could be applying it much more discreetly if she can't leave her desk. She just whips her arm up and swipes on the deodorant while her next-door cube neighbor is oblivious. Sure, Jan.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

So take your Sharpie accident erasing pen and sign up for driving lessons, asshole.

Or at least put away her cellphone. Clipping a passing car suggests she didn't look to the left and, from what I've seen, that seems to be pretty common with drivers holding a phone to their left ear.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

Those made me NOT want to see Wicked with the belting/singing/screeching throughout the commercial.

Ugh, yes.  Makes me want to punch Idina Menzel in her green nose.  I'm always so glad when the touring Broadway companies leave because I'm so sick of the commercials.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

And my final rant is obnoxious kids doing commercials.  There's the girl for the Good Feet Store, the nasty child who goes with mom and dad because her sibling is going to be born, and any kid for insurance.  Of course you have local commercials where the person who owns the company thinks their child is adorable, but you can't understand a thing the kids says.  

Ah yes, the Good Feet Store. I don't mean to sound sexist but the dude who cried constantly from his pain and then cries constantly because arch supports (? not surgery?) took away his pain is frickin annoying. I think he maybe just likes to cry?

On the other hand the woman whose best shoes hurt the worst is endearing to me since I can relate. And notice, she never talks about crying. 

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

Ah yes, the Good Feet Store. I don't mean to sound sexist but the dude who cried constantly from his pain and then cries constantly because arch supports (? not surgery?) took away his pain is frickin annoying. I think he maybe just likes to cry?

On the other hand the woman whose best shoes hurt the worst is endearing to me since I can relate. And notice, she never talks about crying. 

Ugh, this reminds me of the Laser Spine Surgery lady who cries about her back being better. She seems like crying is her natural speech pattern.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4

The Star Kist Tuna Creations commercial with Candace Cameron Bure appearing to be filming some action movie needs to go away. What's the name of the movie? "The Christmas Stunt Woman?"

"A Zip Line Christmas?" "Christmas with Charlie?"

• Love 12
(edited)
On ‎07‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 6:34 PM, chenoa333 said:

Why do SO many of these companies think it's cool to portray people (men, women, kids) in their ads as dumb? 

And while I'm on the advertisers "hate train" are young women (who want to have sex but NOT get pregnant) so f'n careless that they can't remember to take a daily pill? They opt to insert a weird plastic device in their netherlands? I'm betting in less than a year, we're going to see an advertisement for a law firm that has filed a class action lawsuit against the drug/pharmaceutical companies for adverse affects of these devices. 

There's nothing wrong with choosing to use an iud for your birth control.  A lot of women do for a variety of reasons, including having the tendency to get careless about taking pills.  Iuds have been on the market for decades, and, with a few exceptions, are perfectly safe.  That commercial, however, is idiotic.

On ‎07‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:40 PM, mmecorday said:

And then there's the woman who's having her luggage scanned at an airport and she's suddenly seized with the worry that she hasn't packed her pills. But then she remembers -- Kyleena!

What gets me about her is: wouldn't she have her pills in her purse or carry-on?  I know I keep my medication with me when I fly; I don't put it in the checked luggage.  (Unless I'm misunderstanding that part of the commercial, but I'd have to pay more attention to it to be sure, so, I'm not going to.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 7
On ‎07‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:49 AM, Ilovecomputers said:

And she only does one under-arm.  I guess the other one never sweats?

On ‎07‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, KLovestoShop said:

I've always hated the insurance commercials with that doom and gloom guy, but I absolutely hate his newest one where he swallows the wedding bands.  Do advertisers really think we're going to buy their insurance with commercials that insult our intelligence?   Like the obnoxious guy who's on a game show and won $4 million dollars.   What does that lunacy have to do with insurance.  

The idea is to insure your expensive wedding bands (pre-wedding) in case the ring-bearer decides to swallow it.  Idk, I like the Mayhem commercials usually, but that one I find hard to relate to because I've never heard of that happening.  Doesn't mean it hasn't, though.

I do love the new Progressive one where Flo chooses the Name Your Price as her one thing to take to the desert island.  Mainly because Jamie, who's usually depicted as not that smart, is the only one who'd take a boat.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I do love the new Progressive one where Flo chooses the Name Your Price as her one thing to take to the desert island.  Mainly because Jamie, who's usually depicted as not that smart, is the only one who'd take a boat.

I won't go so far as to say I like that commercial, but it's definitely the least offensive of the Flo/Jamie ones, and for just the reason you stated.

• Love 4
On 7/14/2018 at 7:07 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Ahahahahhahahahhahahahhhhaaaaa @ "netherlands"!

Isn't "netherlands"  the proper medical terminology for ones (anyones) area between the upper thighs? Lol. Although it's also been referred to as FUPA, I like "netherlands" better. It just sounds more exotic. Like a place I might want to visit but then I'd be sorry I went there! 

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Isn't "netherlands"  the proper medical terminology for ones (anyones) area between the upper thighs? Lol. Although it's also been referred to as FUPA, I like "netherlands" better. It just sounds more exotic. Like a place I might want to visit but then I'd be sorry I went there! 

I think it’s nether regions when referring to body parts?

• Love 12
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

And she only does one under-arm.  I guess the other one never sweats?

Maybe she's the half-sister of the guy who doesn't sweat in the deodorant commercial where they are playing basketball and coach says, "Nobody rests until he sweats."

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

The Star Kist Tuna Creations commercial with Candace Cameron Bure appearing to be filming some action movie needs to go away. What's the name of the movie? "The Christmas Stunt Woman?"

"A Zip Line Christmas?" "Christmas with Charlie?"

I am of the age where I grew up watching Full House on TGIF. And confess I still watch occasional reruns. But she’s a fair to average actress. What strikes me most in these commercials is she is like a person who has never been in front of a camera. Her acting is horrific in those commercials. It’s so weird to me. 

Ok, this is going to be a tough one to explain as I lack the words but no one in my real would ever get what I’m saying and you all are my only hope. Swiffer commercials. The hatred started when a mom in skinny jeans noticed her enthusiastic son was cutting doll and stuffed animal hair and was about to cut sisters. The way she holds up the Swiffer and the face she made immediately brought out anger I normally hold for things that matter. I thought I was weird. 

So recently  they’re running a new one where a man does the hold up with the face and oh my gosh- I HATE these commercials. 

It makes no sense and I lack the finesse to explain why the holding up and faces gets me. But it does. Oh it does!

Edited by KnoxForPres
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Maybe she's the half-sister of the guy who doesn't sweat in the deodorant commercial where they are playing basketball and coach says, "Nobody rests until he sweats."

I see what you did there -- half sister!  Bwahahahahahah!

• Love 5

Ok, this is going to be a tough one to explain as I lack the words but no one in my real would ever get what I’m saying and you all are my only hope. Swiffer commercials. The hatred started when a mom in skinny jeans noticed her enthusiastic son was cutting doll and stuffed animal hair and was about to cut sisters. The way she holds up the Swiffer and the face she made immediately brought out anger I normally hold for things that matter. I thought I was weird. 

Always drove me insane because this toddler is running around with scissors but mom's more concerned with the mess.  I do like the one with the (well-trained) cat because my cat is like that.

• Love 5

I like the cat too, especially the slow-motion careening around the corner. And I like that I am seeing more commercials with guys who have cats; I always thought it made no sense that cays are often portrayed as girl pets (or worse, loser-girl pets)--WTF, it's an animal that needs a home! And I like when the cat is referred to as the guy's "wild child."

• Love 12
4 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Thanks a lot for making me look up FUPA.

• Love 8
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Brookside said:

I'm so sorry Brookside! Lol! But at least it made you laugh, right? (If only for a second).

ETA: The "p"in FUPA is interchangeable depending on gender! 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

And I like when the cat is referred to as the guy's "wild child."

My (single) son has a wild child cat.  Did I ever mention how the cat got stuck in the ceiling?

17 hours ago, mmecorday said:

The Star Kist Tuna Creations commercial with Candace Cameron Bure

All I can think of is how she's going on set with tuna breath.  I pity her costars.

16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The idea is to insure your expensive wedding bands (pre-wedding) in case the ring-bearer decides to swallow it.  Idk, I like the Mayhem commercials usually, but that one I find hard to relate to because I've never heard of that happening.  Doesn't mean it hasn't, though.

No way would an insurance company pay that claim since the rings will eventually show up again.  If you choose not to wear it again, that's on you.

16 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I do like that Jamie is the smart one here.  Even cynical Mara is impressed.

• Love 9
(edited)
17 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

13 hours ago, Brookside said:

17 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Yep, I looked it up, too. I must admit, that never crossed my mind before, lol. Sorry for the double quote, Chenoa333. I can't figure out how to delete it

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 1
(edited)
16 hours ago, KnoxForPres said:

I am of the age where I grew up watching Full House on TGIF. And confess I still watch occasional reruns. But she’s a fair to average actress. What strikes me most in these commercials is she is like a person who has never been in front of a camera. Her acting is horrific in those commercials. It’s so weird to me.

I've heard that some actors get unnerved trying to do a scene with a character to be filled in later, like Charlie in this case. They should have had a stand-in, even if it was just a stuffed animal hanging from a wire, so that she'd have at least known where to look.

Edited by LoneHaranguer
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Oh, my.  I looked up FUPA on a company computer.  I'm sure there are alarms going off in the back room and I'll be counseled about this.

Sorry! I think in hindsight I should've warned people not to google FUPA while at work or hanging out with young children! 

And to ILOVE COMPUTERS: I take full responsibility if you should set off alarms at work and get counseled by HR! ?

• Love 7
20 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Or according to Chaucer "nether yay ya."

I wouldn't try putting an IUD in your nether yay ya, though. ;-)

18 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I like the cat too, especially the slow-motion careening around the corner. And I like that I am seeing more commercials with guys who have cats; I always thought it made no sense that cays are often portrayed as girl pets (or worse, loser-girl pets)--WTF, it's an animal that needs a home! And I like when the cat is referred to as the guy's "wild child."

My only complaint about the commercial is that the cat is not a "wild child" - it's just a normal cat.  Nothing particularly wild about its behavior; it's just doing typical cat stuff.  Otherwise it's a cute commercial.

• Love 6
(edited)

I'd say the cat is, in those moments, being fairly "wild." There are cats who aren't natural zoomers/climbers/knocker-overers, etc. My Peach wasn't--if we saw her even just bat a toy around, we were gleefully surprised, haha! She was super-chill...which I often tell my current two when they are acting like crazy maniacs (which I do love so much, but sometimes exactly what the hell?!)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I'd say the cat is, in those moments, being fairly "wild." There are cats who aren't natural zoomers/climbers/knocker-overers, etc. My Peach wasn't--if we saw her even just bat a toy around, we were gleefully surprised, haha! She was super-chill...which I often tell my current two when they are acting like crazy maniacs (which I do love so much, but sometimes exactly what the hell?!)

There are?  I guess I've just never had one.  Mine have all had their moments of insanity at some point in their lives.

• Love 3

Maybe Peaches was just super-stealthy and put everything away after she tore up the place!

She came from a hoard situation though, so maybe peace and quiet was all she ever wanted (or she never learned that there was such a thing as playing, which is too sad to even think about). But at the shelter where I volunteer, we definitely have certain cats that we would recommend to someone who needed a laid-back kind of companion. 

• Love 5

I wouldn't try putting an IUD in your nether yay ya, though. ;-)

It would not be very effective, would it?

26 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe Peaches was just super-stealthy and put everything away after she tore up the place!

She came from a hoard situation though, so maybe peace and quiet was all she ever wanted (or she never learned that there was such a thing as playing, which is too sad to even think about). But at the shelter where I volunteer, we definitely have certain cats that we would recommend to someone who needed a laid-back kind of companion. 

My Peaches was a feral rescue and her mother was TNR. She doesn't really play either but she has a little stuffed kitty who looks just like her and she puts it in her food and water dishes as if to feed it.

I wonder it the cat in the "wild child" commercial is a Chinchilla cat? They are so beautiful.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

No way would an insurance company pay that claim since the rings will eventually show up again.  If you choose not to wear it again, that's on you.

Yeah, I enjoy Mayhem, but this is probably my least favorite of that series of commercials, because the underlying pitch doesn't work this time.  The whole thing is based on a zany way of showing that if you buy cut-rate insurance, sure, you're saving money on the premium, but when any number of freakish things happen to the thing you bought cheap insurance for, you'll find you're not covered, and thus you're out more money in the long run.

Okay, but if you insure your rings with Allstate, they're only going to pay out if the rings are lost, stolen, or damaged.  Unless they're going to count these as "damaged," they're not paying a claim any more than the cheapo insurer would.

• Love 1

My new commercial to hate - and also scramble to mute the TV - is the Great Wolf Lodge ad where the big brother relentlessly teases his little brother and makes a clicking noise with his mouth every time he manages to one-up the little guy.  Aarrgghh - I want to smack that kid.

• Love 5
(edited)

My Peaches was a feral rescue and her mother was TNR. She doesn't really play either but she has a little stuffed kitty who looks just like her and she puts it in her food and water dishes as if to feed it.

Ohmygoodness, my heart!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

I actually don’t mind the “Liberty Liberty Liberty...” but that final “Liberty” makes me apoplectic. Can’t explain why, but here we are.

Two things.

First, girl in the Apple Store, if you already think that the Samsung is better and can do all these marvelous things, why the holy hell are you bothering the genius with your nattering on about Samsung?  Just go to the damn Samsung store and leave the poor clerk alone, so he doesn't have to make that weird face.  (I’m assuming the Samsung store is a thing, as I will give up my iPhone from the grave, and then again, I might just be buried with it).

Second.  There was an ad for a Smart Stove, and it shows this lady, who is somewhere else, change the setting on her oven from some temperature I can’t remember to Warming, 170 degrees.  Whether she was turning it up or down, no no no no no no no NO.  Why are you changing the temp on your oven when you are nowhere near it?  That nearly gives me a panic attack, thinking of all of the things that can happen to an unattended appliance, because it really looks like she is not even home when she changes the temp.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I actually don’t mind the “Liberty Liberty Liberty...” but that final “Liberty” makes me apoplectic. Can’t explain why, but here we are.

The whole thing is annoying, but yes, that last one really grates!

I’m assuming the Samsung store is a thing, as I will give up my iPhone from the grave, and then again, I might just be buried with it

iPhone guy here as well, and I don't think they have Samsung stores like Apple stores, I think you can buy them just about anywhere.

That nearly gives me a panic attack, thinking of all of the things that can happen to an unattended appliance, because it really looks like she is not even home when she changes the temp.

I would never leave the oven on when I'm not home - hell, I hate being in the other room when I've got something in the toaster, and I always unplug it when I finish.  I also have a friend who does work as an investigator for insurance companies - he can tell you 47 ways your kitchen appliances can kill you.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 5
(edited)

I just saw one of the "flispy" Sonic commercials and thought that, if they thought combining "flavorful" and "crispy" was such a great plan, wouldn't "cravorful" have made more sense? There'd be the two words, plus the suggestion of "crave."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4