Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Thank dog there's a new Chevy focus group commercial! Said no one ever. Chevy Douche is chilling on some farmland with parents and kids and asking the kids which truck they'd want their mom and dad to buy if the kids knew it would be passed down to them. Of course, Chevy Douche disses the Ford truck and hypes the Chevy vehicle. Lo and behold, all the kids chose the Chevy. At this point, if my parents offered me their Chevy truck, I would have to assume they hated me. 

The only upside to this new commercial is the inevitable Mahk video. 

I lunge for the remote the instant I hear Mr Douchebag Chevy.  Makes my skin crawl.

• Love 6

Those Haribo commercials have been brought up a lot, mostly to hate on them, but I have to admit they make me laugh.

In an unrelated ad...

”You get a line!  You get a line!  YOU get a line!”

Can I choose the line you get?  Can it be a clothesline so you stop talking?  Besides the fact that channeling your inner Oprah is not very current.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Those Haribo commercials have been brought up a lot, mostly to hate on them, but I have to admit they make me laugh.

”You get a line!  You get a line!  YOU get a line!”

Can I choose the line you get?  Can it be a clothesline so you stop talking?  Besides the fact that channeling your inner Oprah is not very current.

Heh I am still trying to catch up. I've seen the Haribo one with , "They're so squishy!" and "They go in my MOUFF"

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Popples said:

I just saw this for the first time this morning was like "WTF does the beginning off the commercial have to do with jewelry?" It might as well have ended with "at least your taxes are free."

It's aiming at the jewelry-buying demographic that zones out when ads - or their girlfriends - talk about jewelry. "Hey bros! Now that we've got your attention, remember that girls like shiny things!"

I get annoyed when commercials try to incorporate the "latest" (quoted because they so often are not at all) trendy phrases. So far this weekend, I've heard "spoiler alert" in a Marie Callendar commercial, "said no one ever" in one for some fitness contraption, and "your squad" in a cell phone one. 

• Love 4

I just found out elsewhere that the guys in the Kay Jewelers commercial are a group of guys on YouTube called Dude Perfect:

Dude Perfect is an American sports entertainment group on YouTube which consists of twins Coby and Cory Cotton, Garrett Hilbert, Cody Jones, and Tyler Toney, who are all former high school basketball players and college roommates at Texas A&M University. They have broken several Guinness World Records and have over 4.6 billion total views and 26.8 million subscribers as of February 2018, making them the 10th most subscribed channel and the most subscribed sports channel on YouTube. Their channel consists of trick shot videos, battles (where they compete in various competitions and at last, the winner is awarded a trophy), a series called Stereotypes, and their new series called Overtime, along with occasional videos that do not belong in any of these categories.

This rant is as much about the commercials themselves as it for the programming of them.

Every single, stupid, unsound commercial for a horror movie or tv show.  I should be able to watch a Pixar/Disney movie of all things, even a Tom Clancy movie, or anything in the middle of the day with being assaulted by whatever sick, twisted offering is now being shown elsewhere.

Really!  Who schedules this things?

• Love 1

I don't like commercials doing trends because they are always behind and I say this as an old person who doesn't know what trends are any more. And I've called all my dogs Boo since the 70s or I call them Doo for Doodle. They all have had real names too.

• Love 1
On 2/10/2018 at 9:53 PM, millennium said:

I know my litany of complaints against Dunkin Donuts seems endless, but your post reminded me that my recent order of a cinnamon donut at DD was rebuffed by "We don't have cinnamon donuts anymore."

To quote Jerry Seinfeld:

But my Dunkin Donuts no longer has cinnamon donuts.   I got the same sobering reply at a DD in a neighboring state.   The cinnamon donut has gone to Donut Valhalla, to take its place in the Great Hall of Donuts alongside lemon-filled, the Dunkin Donut (with the handle) and another recent casualty, the Jelly Stick.

Good riddance. I hate cinnamon doughnuts. They're my least favorite.

6 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

The "your squad" cell phone ad also includes the repulsive term "your boo." I can maybe tolerate "BFF" and "frenemy," but the "boo" makes me hate life.

It makes me hate the people at ad agencies that use the word "boo" to refer to people. 

Speaking of ad agencies, I think Geico must have several of them working on their commercials. That's the only explanation I can come up with for why there is such a disparity in how much I hate Geico ads. Most of them are awful, but there's an occasional good one that sneaks in.

• Love 4
On 2/9/2018 at 12:08 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Stupid enough to have Dish TV?

Oh Lordy, does anybody have Charter/Spectrum? Their commercials  are are the worst and they run them allllllllllllll the time. Their service is horrible. Why do they have to advertise working for them. If they're such a good company to work for why do they seem to have so many openings. They used to have these really awful commercials where they would have people in an office, or pirates, or young people beat boxing, singing, dancing around like fools etc. On one of my numerous calls about a problem with some aspect of their service, or lack there of, I complained about the commercials and the CSA said they get a lot of complaints about them. Now they don't have those. I like to think my 2 cents and others who complained got through. Now they have some evil characters that aren't so bad. Still they ad for business service with them and jobs and there is this smug dude (whose been hawking for them since I moved to this location 6 years ago) with big ass feet that just disgust me and a girl with dirty blood hair (put up) in a blue dress geeze, I can't stand them! I complained about them too but they're still around. I ask the CSA why did they run their ads so often if their so great wouldn't people use them especially if you have Charter/ Spectrum already. I have a friend (not in this area) he has dish and he never sees them. I don't have a choice in the area I live now plus I moved to an apartment and you can't have a satellite and they tell you when you move in they are serviced by Char/Spet. Never see a U-verse out here. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, little hermit said:

Oh Lordy, does anybody have Charter/Spectrum? Their commercials  are are the worst and they run them allllllllllllll the time. Their service is horrible. Why do they have to advertise working for them. If they're such a good company to work for why do they seem to have so many openings. They used to have these really awful commercials where they would have people in an office, or pirates, or young people beat boxing, singing, dancing around like fools etc. On one of my numerous calls about a problem with some aspect of their service, or lack there of, I complained about the commercials and the CSA said they get a lot of complaints about them. Now they don't have those. I like to think my 2 cents and others who complained got through. Now they have some evil characters that aren't so bad. Still they ad for business service with them and jobs and there is this smug dude (whose been hawking for them since I moved to this location 6 years ago) with big ass feet that just disgust me and a girl with dirty blood hair (put up) in a blue dress geeze, I can't stand them! I complained about them too but they're still around. I ask the CSA why did they run their ads so often if their so great wouldn't people use them especially if you have Charter/ Spectrum already. I have a friend (not in this area) he has dish and he never sees them. I don't have a choice in the area I live now plus I moved to an apartment and you can't have a satellite and they tell you when you move in they are serviced by Char/Spet. Never see a U-verse out here. 

I have Charter/Spectrum. I'm going to try not to get started too much. I just want to say I find the commercials with the monster characters quite funny and enjoyable. I particularly like the one where Death accidentally touches a guy on the train, marking him for death. (I know that sounds sick and twisted, but the way the commercial does it, it turns out to be a good joke.) I rather like Charter, actually. Their customer service leaves a bit to be desired, but the service otherwise is quite good. I had Dish a couple of decades ago and I hated that service with a passion. Every time a drop of water fell on the dish, the service went out. (No, not literally. It just seemed that way.) I would never get DirecTv since it's the same kind of service. In my area, there is a competitor to Charter. The only problem is that they're $30 more expensive than Charter's most expensive package. My mother-in-law has Time Warner Cable, which has recently been purchased by Charter. Their service is abysmal and more expensive than even Charter. I have Charter's most expensive package and I spend $200 a month on it. My mother-in-law has expanded basic cable with HBO, Internet service, and phone service (for the "triple play" discount) and she pays $220 to $230 a month - which is what HBC (Hiawatha Broadband Cable - Charter's competitor in my area) would charge me for their most expensive package. My parents have U-verse and my father has come to loathe them. They still have it because my father hates Time Warner Cable more (and they live in the same city as my mother-in-law).

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 1

The Johnny Depp Sauvage commercial is so utterly ridiculous that a tiny part of me wondered if it was a joke. But then I recalled numerous other pretentious fragrance commercials with celebrities acting like goobers and decided it was unfortunately quite serious. 

• Love 5
On 2/7/2018 at 10:50 PM, mojoween said:

The Kay Jewelers ad where the one bro throws the basketball at the windshield of a tractor trailer cab is one of the most irresponsible things I have ever seen.  Also, it has jack to do with buying jewelry.

I'm thinking... who in the hell is this douchebro buying jewelry for?  The truck driver?

On 2/8/2018 at 12:43 AM, Brattinella said:

That ad bothers me so much!  Imagine if kids copycat that!

I wouldn't worry about it.  Kids are too busy eating Tide Pods.

• Love 10
On 2/10/2018 at 4:47 PM, KLovestoShop said:

I don’t know if this is a local or national commercial, but there’s one with a pre-teen Lolita type girl, all made up, floating in a swimming pool, eating macarones and watching what looks like a black and white French art house movie on her iPad.  It’s for Verizon Fios.   Why are they using such a young girl in a sexually suggestive way to sell cable tv?

Because they can't be straightforward about what customers will be watching that would benefit from a high-speed fiber optic connection.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Motor Week did a review of the  Chevy Traverse recently. They were kind of lukewarm about it. Gave me a chuckle.

That's why they have to hold those peoples' families hostage until they say nice things about it.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I'm used to hearing "herbs" with a hard aitch.  UK people almost always use that pronunciation.

I noticed that on the UK versions of the old Chicken Tonight ads, but of course, now I can't find any.

"I feel like Chicken Tonight,  like Chicken Tonight..."

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, smittykins said:

I noticed that on the UK versions of the old Chicken Tonight ads, but of course, now I can't find any.

"I feel like Chicken Tonight,  like Chicken Tonight..."

WHY did they stop selling that?  It was wonderful stuff!

• Love 1
On 2/11/2018 at 11:45 AM, NinjaPenguins said:

Thank dog there's a new Chevy focus group commercial! Said no one ever. Chevy Douche is chilling on some farmland with parents and kids and asking the kids which truck they'd want their mom and dad to buy if the kids knew it would be passed down to them. Of course, Chevy Douche disses the Ford truck and hypes the Chevy vehicle. Lo and behold, all the kids chose the Chevy. At this point, if my parents offered me their Chevy truck, I would have to assume they hated me. 

The only upside to this new commercial is the inevitable Mahk video. 

I can't wait to see Mahk's kid.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Dear KFC ad makers:  The "h" in herbs is silent. 

Not in British English! :P

Edited to add: Apparently I'm very late to the show. Oh well. Better luck next time!

2 hours ago, Sweedish Fish said:

She seems a bit angry.   I don't want a perfume that makes me mean and jump off a pier for some reason.

I don't know. There's a lot I'd put up with from Natalie Portman.

Edited by MrSmith
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

One exec used to constantly “correct” my writing and/or editing by changing the “a” to an “an” before “historical”!

The rule of thumb is that you use "an" if you're not pronouncing the "h", and not everyone does for that word. There used to be an ad that played around with the pronunciation of "herb" with a character named Herb.

• Love 2
On 2/11/2018 at 6:43 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

The "your squad" cell phone ad also includes the repulsive term "your boo." I can maybe tolerate "BFF" and "frenemy," but the "boo" makes me hate life.

Almost as much as "bae".

On 2/12/2018 at 1:18 AM, SmithW6079 said:

Good riddance. I hate cinnamon doughnuts. They're my least favorite.

We can't be friends.  You're dead to me.

On 2/12/2018 at 12:15 PM, HighMaintenance said:

I'm thinking... who in the hell is this douchebro buying jewelry for?  The truck driver?

I wouldn't worry about it.  Kids are too busy eating Tide Pods.

Stupid kids.  Don't they know there are licorice and strawberry Twizzlers in the basement?  In the breaker box?

• Love 11
28 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Nothing, but nothing makes me angrier than hearing these two things; "I told my kids they had better never put me in a nursing home" and "I would never put my parent in a nursing home".  Being someone who like millions of others, had to make that awful decision, it is insulting, unrealistic, and frankly cruel.  You're exactly right.  Some folks have life situations that don't afford the luxury of staying home or paying someone to privately care for their loved one.  Pretty sure that the only folks that make such inane statements, have never faced it head-on, or never will have to.

*rant ended*

ITA 

• Love 5

Checking in here for the first time in quite a while, so forgive if I repeat an already-discussed ad, but does anyone think that the wheel of fortune-style KFC Colonel selector is driving business in the door?  I'm so totally annoyed by that whole campaign that I have vowed to never utter their name let alone patronize that grease laden place.

p.s.:  Didn't think they could scrape the barrel lower than the Norm MacDonald iteration, but yeah, Reba tops ...er bottoms it.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Brattinella said:

WHY did they stop selling that?  It was wonderful stuff!

Is Chicken Tonight like Hamburger Helper?  All I can think of is the old Shake and Bake ad with the little cowgirl who would say, "Shake and bake, an' Ah helped!"

7 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Checking in here for the first time in quite a while, so forgive if I repeat an already-discussed ad, but does anyone think that the wheel of fortune-style KFC Colonel selector is driving business in the door?  I'm so totally annoyed by that whole campaign that I have vowed to never utter their name let alone patronize that grease laden place.

Haven't seen that ad.  I'm a little astounded that Taco Bell is now selling French fries.  Our local newspaper said they were rather dull. 

Edited by Ilovecomputers
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Is Chicken Tonight like Hamburger Helper?  All I can think of is the old Shake and Bake ad with the little cowgirl who would say, "Shake and bake, an' Ah helped!"

Haven't seen that ad.  I'm a little astounded that Taco Bell is now selling French fries.  Our local newspaper said they were rather dull. 

Chicken Tonight was made by Ragu.  It is sauce in a jar that you pour over chicken and cook.  They had flavors like Chicken Cacciatore, Mexican Chicken and Sweet and Sour, I will post a link to an old ad (pretty amusing)

• Love 5