Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Fun fact; did you know that everyone has blue eyes? The have perfected a a technique for removing the brown pigment and leaving you with blue eyes.

I thought it was just newborns that all had bluish eyes? I know nothing about human babies, but I do know that all puppies and kittens are born with blue eyes. Their eye color changes when they get a bit older. Nevertheless, I still am riding the Aniston hate train!! But love me some babies, kittens and puppies!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Jumping aboard the Aniston hate train!! And I'll bet my left brown eye that Aniston wasn't born with blue eyes! I'm only betting one of my eyes cause I could be wrong. But "eye" know that you can buy "cosmetic" contact lenses which do nothing but change your natural eye color, no vision correction involved.

So eye say, fuck off J.Aniston. you are getting old and you are a one trick pony when it comes to "acting" and I'm sick of seeking your mug everywhere. 

I would rather see Jennifer Aniston eight thousand times a day than Jennifer Garner in those damned Capital One ads. The new one where she's at lunch with a friend telling her about the benefits of the card is particularly obnoxious to me, because at the end of the commercial the friend says something like, "Is this why you wanted to have lunch with me?" and JG says, "And to catch up" with this fakey-fake smile. Ugh.

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

It looks like BK's "someone's gonna get fired" guy and his buddy have been replaced by two bearded fellows who look even less like they should be wearing paper crowns. It's slightly less annoying, but I don't know who the guy on the right is supposed to be talking to when he says "he wears glasses"; he glances over to his buddy's left where no one is sitting.

I thought he was talking to us at home when he said that?  (Also, they're not buddies; they're brothers.)

49 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

I thought it was just newborns that all had bluish eyes? I know nothing about human babies, but I do know that all puppies and kittens are born with blue eyes. Their eye color changes when they get a bit older. Nevertheless, I still am riding the Aniston hate train!! But love me some babies, kittens and puppies!

Black, Asian, and Latino people are not born with blue eyes (or at least not typically, as I'm sure there are outliers), and not all non-black/Asian/Latino people are born with blue eyes.

Edited by janie jones
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

It looks like BK's "someone's gonna get fired" guy and his buddy have been replaced by two bearded fellows who look even less like they should be wearing paper crowns. It's slightly less annoying, but I don't know who the guy on the right is supposed to be talking to when he says "he wears glasses"; he glances over to his buddy's left where no one is sitting.

Those are the Sklar twins. One twin is pointing out that the other wears glasses.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Black, Asian, and Latino people are not born with blue eyes (or at least not typically, as I'm sure there are outliers), and not all non-black/Asian/Latino people are born with blue eyes

Thank you Janie for the info. I always appreciate someone taking time to enlighten/educate me! I sincerely mean that. Now....back to to the snark:

I am also a hater of the Jennifer Garner commercials that are aired every 15 minutes. Jennifer, take your friggin dimples and go home. Don't you have a gaggle of babies to take care of? And why do you need to do commercials anyway? You are filthy rich so go away forever. Go have coffee with jennifer Aniston 

• Love 4

Yes, and if you hire ADT or the "I can't get up" company,

I am so 12! I read that as "I can't get it up" company. I was actually looking for a different post to comment about when I saw and read this the wrong way. Now, I'll hang my head in shame and look in a different thread for the post I'm thinking about. 

And don't get me started on the ad for Plexaderm with the male "model" who has HUGE bags under his eyes. I know those are fat deposits under his eyes but where does the fat disappear to after using it?

ok, had to do a lot of looking, but I hate these ads. Since I have the tv on almost all the time, but rarely watch the screen, the guy with the bags under his eyes doesn't bother me, it's the two harridans doing the fake informercial that drive me crazy. The bags under my eyes aren't a lot of fat, they're swollen, but I don't care enough, not vain enough or what ever enough to pay for their product. But I can't reach the remote mute button fast enough when the one says something about this being the real deal! I hate fake infomercial commercials. 

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 2

I also hate the two Harridan's who are pimpin' this product. And I really hate the part where Harridon one says to Harridan two "can this be used everyday or just for special occasions?"  Yeah sure, use it every day,all day. That way we can take more money from you poor lost souls who can't figure out that this product only keeps the bags away for a few hours. I can't remember which late night talk show host said this (Conan O'Brien maybe) but he said his make up "artist" used preparation H on Conans under eyes to get rid of bags and dark circles. I wonder if Plexaderm is just hemorrhoid cream? 

• Love 4

I have heard that beauty contestants use Prep H on their faces during pageants to tighten things up, so why not? I'm 66, I don't care. I earned each and every wrinkle, each and every grey hair and all the extra fat cells, under my eyes or around my belly or butt, I just don't care anymore. There are things I do care about, but not that stuff anymore. 

• Love 8

I routinely mute every McDonald's commercial.

That should be mandatory for every McDonald's commercial today. Especially the ones with that stupid no talent rapper (whoever he is, he sucks) rapping about their Big Mac coming in 3 sizes. I never had a Big Mac before in my life & I'm certainly will never ever have one. Their Big Macs & most of McDonald's food is stomach turning. 

• Love 3

I'm so tired of hearing "Hello Moto" I could scream and have a few times. The commercials that say this love to come on when I can't get to the remote quick enough to mute them.

• Love 10

March 10, 2:30 am.  Now I've seen it all.

A TV ad for squattypotty.com.

1cceb84d6152c7ce35be9cf3becf4b4d.jpg

Sculpted acrylic glass

Functional & fashionable

Limited edition

Limited quantities

FREE GIFT: Fun unicorn crown and "I Pooped Today" button included!

• Love 5
10 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I have heard that beauty contestants use Prep H on their faces during pageants to tighten things up, so why not? I'm 66, I don't care. I earned each and every wrinkle, each and every grey hair and all the extra fat cells, under my eyes or around my belly or butt, I just don't care anymore. There are things I do care about, but not that stuff anymore. 

The US version quit using the tightening ingredient in 1995 and Canadian version of Prep H still has it. Apparently that's made the Canadian version popular in the US. I didn't realize the US version was altered so long ago until I read the Prep H wiki.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, spiderpig said:

March 10, 2:30 am.  Now I've seen it all.

A TV ad for squattypotty.com.

1cceb84d6152c7ce35be9cf3becf4b4d.jpg

Sculpted acrylic glass

Functional & fashionable

Limited edition

Limited quantities

FREE GIFT: Fun unicorn crown and "I Pooped Today" button included!

For a while there, Youtube had a 3 minute ad for the Squatty Potty in heavy rotation. I got very familiar with the first 5 seconds of that stupid pooping unicorn.

The US version quit using the tightening ingredient in 1995 and Canadian version of Prep H still has it. Apparently that's made the Canadian version popular in the US

Aw, man. Was just in Canada a few weeks ago, should have picked up a tube :)

Actually we did consider bringing back some Tylenol with codeine, but apparently you have to declare that and they confiscate it unless you have a prescription. 

Agree that Hello Moto makes me stabby...very stabby.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Jaded said:

I'm so tired of hearing "Hello Moto" I could scream and have a few times. The commercials that say this love to come on when I can't get to the remote quick enough to mute them.

I didn't click, but is that Uma Thurman? She looks exactly like her.

• Love 2

Has anyone seen the new Honda commercial for its hydrogen-powered car, the Clarity?  It shows multitudes of disembodied children's heads floating around space! 

Good Lord - who on earth thought disembodied children's heads would help sell cars? Ironically, this could probably have been an effective ad with just a normal chorus group of full-bodied children singing about the future and reminding us to be environmentally forward-thinking. Instead it comes off like some post-apocalyptic dystopia where children's bodies have been eliminated somehow and the heads are flying around in space.

Commercials with doorbells. Do any of you have dogs?

My old dog barked hysterically whenever she heard a doorbell on TV. It didn't even have to sound like my doorbell - any doorbell sound would do. My current dog does not react to TV doorbells, though. He occasionally perks up his ears but doesn't go crazy barking.

Actually, I do have a problem with Jennifer Aniston.  She's in too many commercials.  It's the same problem I have with Shaq.

Or Matthew McConaughey. Ugh. How much money do these celebrities need?

And why do you need to do commercials anyway? You are filthy rich so go away forever. Go have coffee with jennifer Aniston 

To be fair, Jennifer Garner probably does not have Jennifer Aniston money, nor even Matthew McConaughey money. She was on a much less successful TV show for a  fewer number of years and hasn't been in a hit movie since 13 Going on 30. She isn't rolling in it like they are. 

It looks like BK's "someone's gonna get fired" guy and his buddy have been replaced by two bearded fellows who look even less like they should be wearing paper crowns.

Those are the Sklar brothers and they fancy themselves stand-up comics. IMO they are the most un-funny stand-up comics I have ever had the misfortune of seeing.

Edited by iMonrey
40 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

To be fair, Jennifer Garner probably does not have Jennifer Aniston money, nor even Matthew McConaughey money. She was on a much less successful TV show for a  fewer number of years and hasn't been in a hit movie since 13 Going on 30. She isn't rolling in it like they are. 

Yeah but there's Ben Affleck's money.  I'm sure she's getting some of that.

• Love 3

Whenever I see Matthew McConaughey in his fancy suit and fancy Lincoln I remember the interview he gave when he said he never uses deodorant. So I see a rich celebrity with BO every time. lol

• Love 14

I've always found it ironic that Matthew is in Lincoln commercials and that he starred in a movie called The Lincoln Lawyer which was a movie I liked. Maybe that's why he agreed to be in them along with the paycheck.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, rcc said:

Whenever I see Matthew McConaughey in his fancy suit and fancy Lincoln I remember the interview he gave when he said he never uses deodorant. So I see a rich celebrity with BO every time. lol

Me, too!  I can't look at him without thinking STINKY. LOL!

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

/musical cue/ Cellino and Barnes, inn-juh-ree uh-turn-ees, 800-888-8888 /end music/.

Back in the 90's I used to listen to an "alternative" radio station out of Rochester (95.1 The Nerve) and that ad was on during every commercial break on Howard Stern.  And there were a lot of commercial breaks during The Howard Stern Show.  But the phone number then was 454-2020 so whenever I see one of those ads on TV my mind always fills in the old phone number.

Great.  Now that stupid song is stuck in my head.

• Love 1
Just now, mojoween said:

Back in the 90's I used to listen to an "alternative" radio station out of Rochester (95.1 The Nerve) and that ad was on during every commercial break on Howard Stern.  And there were a lot of commercial breaks during The Howard Stern Show.  But the phone number then was 454-2020 so whenever I see one of those ads on TV my mind always fills in the old phone number.

Great.  Now that stupid song is stuck in my head.

I'm always happy to be of service.

Now I know what they meant on the old car bumper stickers - "Kill Your TV".

• Love 2

I've always found it ironic that Matthew is in Lincoln commercials and that he starred in a movie called The Lincoln Lawyer

I think that was the whole point of getting him for the commercials. 

Did he say "deodorant" or "anti-perspirant"?  Because one controls the odor, the other, with nasty additional chemicals, stops the sweat. I haven't used anti-perspirant in years, but never miss a day of deodorant. I've read that Simon Baker (the Mentalist) won't use anti-perpirant, either. Doesn't make us stinky.  What I *have* read is both Brad Pitt & Johnny Depp are somewhat lax in the hygiene department, eschewing daily showers.  (No less than David Duchovny reported that about Pitt when they were making "Kalifornia.")

• Love 1
5 hours ago, rcc said:

I never even knew he did that interview and I see a man with BO every time I see him.

• Love 4

And they've also migrated to the NYC area, because they sponsor the Yankees' radio pregame show(using the number 1-800-888-8888.)Rochester also has "Hurt in a car? Call William Mattar," whose number is 444-4444.

13 hours ago, rcc said:

11 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Me, too!  I can't look at him without thinking STINKY. LOL!

7 hours ago, janie jones said:

I never even knew he did that interview and I see a man with BO every time I see him.

Thank you for posting this! I don't watch much television so I've never seen MM being interviewed at all but every time I see him in a commercial, I think he just looks dirty. I'm so happy to see others get that vibe as well. 

• Love 5
On 3/8/2017 at 8:06 PM, janie jones said:

I don't have anything against her; I have a problem with people's attitude toward her.  I don't think her beauty and talent are commensurate with the adoration of her.

I'll agree with this. I think the adoration of her stems from her and Brad Pitt being this idealized, "perfect" couple for so many years, in addition to her time on Friends. She's not the hottest thing out there nor is she the best actress that I can think of, and she never was either of those things. At the same time, she strikes me as someone who isn't full of themselves, either (which, come to think of it, may add to people's adoration of her).

On 3/8/2017 at 8:09 PM, spiderpig said:

Maybe that's it.  One of my favorite movies is Office Space, and while she didn't stink it up, she didn't add anything to the film.

I thought she did a fairly good job in that movie. I'm not sure what anyone else could have brought to the part of being the love interest who is also the voice of reason ("And how is that not stealing?").

• Love 9
On 3/8/2017 at 10:16 PM, Moose135 said:

It's still fairly new technology, and the fueling stations are not widely available, so the distribution of vehicles is still limited.  Mercedes-Benz, Toyota, and Hyundai have also introduced hydrogen fuel cell cars, only Toyota will sell one to you, MB and Hyundai are also lease-only.  It's not that unusual with first-generation vehicles like this, when Toyota introduced the Prius in 2009-2010, they leased them to selected users in limited areas.  Once the vehicles and fueling stations become more prevalent, I'm sure they will be available to purchase.

I don't really see hydrogen becoming a mainstream fuel for cars. It's too hard to produce and the by-product of using it for automobile propulsion is water. This means your car gets heavier as you go, reducing your acceleration, fuel economy, and maneuverability, and increasing your stopping distance. (Water weighs 7 pounds per gallon.)

On 3/9/2017 at 2:13 PM, peacheslatour said:

Fun fact; did you know that everyone has blue eyes? The have perfected a a technique for removing the brown pigment and leaving you with blue eyes.

I have hazel eyes and they shift color based on my mood. If I'm particularly angry, frustrated, or very tired, they'll be a slate grey. When I'm relaxed and in a good mood, they can be blue or green. And if I close my eyes and focus on a color, I can shift them to that color.

• Love 3

I'm glad this topic exists because we have a TiVO. So, most of the time, we're able to hit the D key and go directly from the start of the commercial break to the end of the commercial break. I think this commercial, however, is hilarious. (Note: It's 2:15 long.)

• Love 1

So the Verizon ad had added an addendum to the first drop the mike ad. Some woman runs out from the crowd and picks up a mike and starts doing air quotes about something. That's all I know cuz I mute that thing ASAP.

• Love 2

Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road.   The north and the south are mine ...

Sick of being deluged by one-per cent rich guy fantasies doubling as car commercials. 

44 minutes ago, BookWitch said:

So the Verizon ad had added an addendum to the first drop the mike ad. Some woman runs out from the crowd and picks up a mike and starts doing air quotes about something. That's all I know cuz I mute that thing ASAP.

The "drop the mic" meme annoys me almost as much as every character in series TV inevitably saying "Copy that" at some point.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, MrSmith said:

the by-product of using it for automobile propulsion is water. This means your car gets heavier as you go, reducing your acceleration, fuel economy, and maneuverability, and increasing your stopping distance. (Water weighs 7 pounds per gallon.)

But they don't lug that water around with them - they have an "exhaust" to vent the water/vapor.  In fact, the Toyota (I don't know about the others) has a button on the dash to blow any remaining water out of the system, so you can dump it before parking in your garage and having it drip out there.  And I believe water weighs about 8.3 pounds per gallon.  At least that's what I remember from my days flying the water wagon version of the KC-135...

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Thank you for posting this! I don't watch much television so I've never seen MM being interviewed at all but every time I see him in a commercial, I think he just looks dirty. I'm so happy to see others get that vibe as well. 

I feel the same way about McConaughey.  He's one of the last people I'd cast as a driver of a Lincoln Continental.

When he first appeared on the scene - what, 20 years ago? - he was touted as the new Paul Newman.  In your dreams, Deodorant Kid.

(Love Paul Newman to pieces.  We're from the same town.)

• Love 5
12 hours ago, smittykins said:

And they've also migrated to the NYC area, because they sponsor the Yankees' radio pregame show(using the number 1-800-888-8888.)Rochester also has "Hurt in a car? Call William Mattar," whose number is 444-4444.

There's an attorney in Sacramento who also uses 444-4444.  Half of his commercials tell us we can call his office to get a Bible, or to have his staff pray with us.

Do network promotional commercials count?

I keep seeing promos on TV (and worse, content in my online news feeds) about "From Not to Hot: Mama June."   It offends me on so many levels that I know who Mama June is, despite that I never ever watched that Honey Boo Boo show.    Or that I know what Mama June looks (looked?) like despite that I never ever watched that Honey Boo Boo show.  I even feel stupid and trashy writing the words "Mama June."   I am a victim of cultural osmosis.   IMO, she is one of the most unattractive women currently walking the planet.   And I don't mean just physically.  I thought after that pedophilia scandal she got caught up in a couple years ago that was The End.   Why oh why is this woman (whom I once heard described in a thread here as "the Human Thumb") being inflicted upon the world again?  

Edited by millennium
  • Love 24
5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

There's an attorney in Sacramento who also uses 444-4444.  Half of his commercials tell us we can call his office to get a Bible, or to have his staff pray with us.

Seriously?  Look, I'm religious, and I believe in the Bible and in the power of prayer as much as the next religious person, but even I think that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:08 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I hate the one where the narration says, "He's more hardcore." He's hardcore because he wants his bed to be firm?! If he was so tough and hardcore, he'd leave the bed to his delicate lady and sleeping outside in a military-issue hammock hanging from a tree--in the winter!

I know in commercials for drinks like Boost or Pediasure or ice tea or whatever, they want to show the labels and all that, but it annoys me to see someone either drinking from the can/bottle or pouring it into a glass in a completely unnatural hand position (like with the thumb parallel to the container's side as opposed to wrapped around it). 

Full disclosure - I was a hand model when I was young.  One of the funniest things is supposedly drinking out of a can. Typically you would be pouring the soda up your nose. 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

The &%#$@* Sklar brothers, a.k.a. the least funny comedians on TV.  It is almost like they had a challenge to see if they could find people more hated than the original guys. 

• Love 4

Not only does McConaugheylook unclean, to me he always sounds stoned or drunk.  Which doesn't really seem like something an auto maker would want to associate their product with.  "Lincoln - driven by rich stoners everywhere."

• Love 12

McConaughey gives me the creeps. I want his Lincoln pulled over by the cops and the trunk searched. 

Papa John and his new "we're a pizza family" shtick can go straight to pizza hell. Preferably in a white Chevy special edition truck that has felt the warm embrace of a focus group fucknugget. 

• Love 15
18 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

McConaughey gives me the creeps. I want his Lincoln pulled over by the cops and the trunk searched. 

Papa John and his new "we're a pizza family" shtick can go straight to pizza hell. Preferably in a white Chevy special edition truck that has felt the warm embrace of a focus group fucknugget. 

Can Papa John take the new & improved Dominos franchise with him - there should be room in that handbasket?

ETA - deep fried fucknuggets should be on their menus ...

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 5
42 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

ETA - deep fried fucknuggets should be on their menus ...

I think I've seen deep fried fucknuggets at a state fair in the Midwest - they deep fry just about everything else at those places.

• Love 12