Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

Found it.

image.png.41c39332488f404c74f60b77a7d98805.png

I take umbrage with the definition of "teacher." Is there more to the link? Because he never taught jack shit. He worked in the office after classes and led Doctrine and Donuts (not sure if he's still doing that). But no, if he taught anything, they would have said something. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I take umbrage with the definition of "teacher." Is there more to the link? Because he never taught jack shit. He worked in the office after classes and led Doctrine and Donuts (not sure if he's still doing that). But no, if he taught anything, they would have said something. 

image.png.3c158ffab09c45c676c63eadae527321.png

• Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 3

He's been shown in meetings conducted by the church's major outreach program to local universities and colleges. He's also been photographed with men who are heavily involevd in that effort. And at least once it was mentioned somewhere that he was involved with it. THey have meetings all over the area at places convenient to where young people are, mostly colleges. They seem to send enough represenatatives to some places so the groups can meet on a really regular basis. All aimed at college age -- 18-24, basically. LIke this one, where Jer's sermonized. https://www.gracechurch.org/valley

That marketing effort is absolutely crucial to the church's survival, let alone flourishing, as its skewed-elderly population dies off or can just no longer face driving the long distances most of them live from the church,. Plus, it seems to me Jer and ingle were recruited in large part to be part of that multi-pronged marketing program. It's the 20-somethings who'd be most attracted to young people's social media after all.  So I'd expect Jer gets a nice solid stipend for his participation, since I'm sure all the staff involved get well paid. That's a do or die church project. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 9
34 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I guess they're calling his sermons instructive? That's all I can glean from the information we have. Maybe kids at the undergraduate school had to listen to this as a lecture? 

Or as punishment.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • LOL 14
  • Love 2

But he is one of the most educated people in the bunch (scary, I know).  He did manage to graduate from college.  However, this does not mean he could even begin to teach Kindergarten.  It takes a lot more than "book knowledge" and lectures.  (Been there, did the job for 38 years.)

• Like 8
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Totally said:

Aren’t they blueberries?

They look like the grapes we had when I was a kid (we had an apple tree and a grape vine in our back yard).  Small with seeds and not as sweet the larger grapes.  Usually by November they had stopped producing for the season so this seems late to me, but we were in Tennessee not southern California so maybe that's the difference.  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1
7 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

They look like the grapes we had when I was a kid (we had an apple tree and a grape vine in our back yard).  Small with seeds and not as sweet the larger grapes.  Usually by November they had stopped producing for the season so this seems late to me, but we were in Tennessee not southern California so maybe that's the difference.  

I’m in Australia, maybe we know them as blueberries, or I’m not as good at recognising fruit as I thought 🤣

Bringing this back to topic, is this the sort of drivel people are paying Jinger for? I don’t really understand the subscription thing she has going, or has that fallen by the wayside?

• Like 3
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Totally said:

I’m in Australia, maybe we know them as blueberries, or I’m not as good at recognising fruit as I thought 🤣

Bringing this back to topic, is this the sort of drivel people are paying Jinger for? I don’t really understand the subscription thing she has going, or has that fallen by the wayside?

Not sure if that was exclusive content. It was in her stories, but it's expired. 

52 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

I saw someone say they are Concord grapes, which are different from blueberries.

If they're grapes (and I assume they are because there seem to be vines) then they're almost certainly Concord grapes.

We had those in our yard when I was a kid, and my mother made the most astonishing pies out of them.....You had to get the skins off the grapes first, though. So even though I'd love to taste that pie again and I have the recipe, I've never felt energetic enough to do the prep work.

I'd kinda like to see a Duggar cook try it, though. I might actually watch one of their videos if they did. 😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

If they're grapes (and I assume they are because there seem to be vines) then they're almost certainly Concord grapes.

We had those in our yard when I was a kid, and my mother made the most astonishing pies out of them.....You had to get the skins off the grapes first, though. So even though I'd love to taste that pie again and I have the recipe, I've never felt energetic enough to do the prep work.

I'd kinda like to see a Duggar cook try it, though. I might actually watch one of their videos if they did. 😁

Please don't give her any ideas thanks 🤗

• LOL 7
1 hour ago, crazy8s said:

why do I not believe Jing was the source of this rather than Jerm just creating content??

Screenshot (334).png

Mwhahahahahahahahaha

signed: a snarker that was born in that country

I would respect the fuck out of her trolling him if she did that on purpose, because I would have.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
36 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Ok,   I will admit to being a little slow at times so would someone kindly tell me what is wrong with the mug.

G.

The US lost to the Dutch in World Cup soccer yesterday, sending them packing.

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

I'm so confused. Why is that called a drawing exercise? Why is strawberry spelled wrong?  Why are there two categories of objects (foods and household items) on the page? Why would Jeremy think this workbook has any educational value? (Less blame for Jinge who came from per-pen-dic-u-lar and bankruptcy law, although she should have figured out some of this before buying 'educational' material for her kids). 

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 12
On 12/9/2022 at 6:23 PM, satrunrose said:

I'm so confused. Why is that called a drawing exercise? Why is strawberry spelled wrong?  Why are there two categories of objects (foods and household items) on the page? Why would Jeremy think this workbook has any educational value? (Less blame for Jinge who came from per-pen-dic-u-lar and bankruptcy law, although she should have figured out some of this before buying 'educational' material for her kids). 

Also, how misguided and hard up is someone who's trying to SELL this....and sell it via THIS "#ad" which...um....wtf?  ....It's um, maybe an English-language primer workbook made in China....or somethings similar? Or just....wtf. 

This truly is something I can only imagine a person buying because they'd been madly in love with Jingle for well over a decade....

But since I'm sure there are a bunch of people like this, she'll probably spur some sales.....Some grandkids out there are going to get this trophy among their Christmas gifts.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Sad 10
  • LOL 1

Don't you mean 'trophee'?

Books, who from his posts, seems to spend most of his time taking pictures of himself eating at trendy places, and taking pictures of himself shopping for trendy shoes, is going to teach me about 'righteousness'? Ok...

• Like 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 8
On 12/9/2022 at 3:23 PM, satrunrose said:

I'm so confused. Why is that called a drawing exercise?

I think the child is supposed to trace the objects. @Churchhoney is probably right that it was made in China and probably written and proofread by people who learned English as a second language.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, 65mickey said:

I haven't read much about Jinger in several years. Has she separated herself from her parents and the rest of the Duggar clan?

Just by miles, as she lives in CA. She does have a book coming out soon in which she writes about giving up everything Gothard.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
14 minutes ago, Nysha said:

And by "giving up everything Gothard" she means replacing Gothard with John MacArthur. I think one is predestination and the other is free will, both are hateful, homophobic, and misogynist.

Yup. No Duggar has yet turned away from the hate. Not one.

• Like 3
  • Sad 12
  • Love 6

I think this article shows some insight on Jinger's part. The thing about how being taught to live  a certain way to avoid punishment and if you follow Gothards teaching you will have wealth. It was interesting that Gothard being accused of SA was one of the main things that pushed her away from IBLP and she compared Josh and Gothard.  I don't know what her beliefs are but given her present church still not one I would support. However since she was willing to move away from the IBLP she does have potential to grow beyond this church or maybe she is done. I wasn't too interested but now I am more so. It is curious that Ben got her questioning yet Jessa seems to be the most tied into JB of the older daughters. I remember how Jinger was so upset and crying when she was talking to Michelle about her decision to wear pants. She must have felt her rejecting IBLP teaching was like rejecting her parents. Hope somewhere along the line she has or will get professional therapy.  

• Like 3
  • Love 7

She might be following McArthur's theology now but according to her, she left/or was leaving IBLP before Jeremy and before they moved to LA and started going to Mc's church.  I think the big difference was Gothard/IBLP promoted the wisdom book as being the same as the bible. Mc's issue is how he interprets the bible. She is saying that she feels bad for having promoted IBLP and having contributed to people joining.  I am curious if in this book she promotes McArthur's "interpretation" of the bible, Calvinism, etc or if she just points out how the IBLP is wrong.  I don't like Mc's theology or the man himself but Gothard was more of a cult leader with his wisdom books. Mc is just an ego driven,  crappy preacher pushing his crappy beliefs (including sexist) and self serving interpretation of the bible. 

• Like 10
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, auntieminem said:

She might be following McArthur's theology now but according to her, she left/or was leaving IBLP before Jeremy and before they moved to LA and started going to Mc's church.  I think the big difference was Gothard/IBLP promoted the wisdom book as being the same as the bible. Mc's issue is how he interprets the bible. She is saying that she feels bad for having promoted IBLP and having contributed to people joining.  I am curious if in this book she promotes McArthur's "interpretation" of the bible, Calvinism, etc or if she just points out how the IBLP is wrong.  I don't like Mc's theology or the man himself but Gothard was more of a cult leader with his wisdom books. Mc is just an ego driven,  crappy preacher pushing his crappy beliefs (including sexist) and self serving interpretation of the bible. 

Well, the book seems to have been ghostwritten by MacArthur's top PR ad communications guy. He's listed as the coauthor, I guess, but we know what that means. And its publisher has had numerous MacArthur books on their list for years. Plus, the publisher is completely tied in to Calvinism, especially MacArthur-style conservative evangelical Calvinism. So it seems likely they include  it in most of not all of the books in their catalog. 

So it's hard to see that MacArthur's comms guy  (and MacArthur and Jer) would intend the book to be anything but a strong (but well whitewashed, of course) sales pitch for MacArthur's opinions, his schools and his church. His church, like most others, is fighting for a strong well-funded future right now. And they'll get eyeballs on this book because of Jingle's tv exposure and public nostalgia and affection for her. And Jer obviously hopes to make that church or churches connected to it his livelihood. 

That suggests the motivations of all the men involved, at least, are the same motivations that David Waller (then a Gothard communications guy) and the Gothard enterprises and JB and M had for participating in a supposed book project about Jingle and her sisters that was actually just a disguised pro-Gothard tract. In a day of slowly dwindling church-cult influence and revenues, this is good PR for your enterprise that you can hide behind a TV-famous young woman. 

And can anybody imagine Jingle pushing her coauthor/ghostwriter to tell the story in some way she prefers or to leave out anything that the guy wants to put in? I can't imagine it, given what we've seen of Jingle all this time....

Plus everything I've read and heard about MacArthur says he's a "my way or the highway" kind of guy. In addition to being a guy who seems to have about zero respect for women, except insofar as they're "meek Christian wives" who follow the men's lead in every important area. So I can't really picture him losing this opportunity to hang a PR campaign for himself on Jingle's shoulders!     

He IS well known for whitewashing the degree to whish his enterprise is a cult.....So a lot of what he does and preaches WON"T be in the book. But the parts that people find enticing and palatable about his cult and his personal biblical views will be in there, I'm betting. In his mind, I'll bet the book isn't about Jingle at all, but about getting more butts (and wallets) into his pews. (in a sneaky, non-salesy way -- just make readers so curious about this wonderful new thing she's found that they'll want to know more) 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 7
  • Love 6

Well the thing about writing a book about questioning beliefs, it opens doors for others to question beliefs. Maybe it'll put a few new asses in MacDaddy's pews, but he might lose a few too. It also opens the door for kids, young and old, to question their parents' beliefs.

• Like 2
  • Applause 5
  • Love 2

People may call the church Jinger attends a cult and there are so many definitions of cult that one will fit.  But, this is a regular church in the sense that people come and go and pick and choose their beliefs and level of involvement, etc.  It isn't the soul binding experience of IBLP/ATI.  It's no different than the conservative Presbyterian church a couple miles from my house.  In fact, I think it's more liberal in that where Jinger is attending doesn't seem to harp on about women's apparel or say that their place is in the home or discourage education.  

• Like 11