Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Maybe Jinger has no memory of good home-cooked food.  I know I don't.  My mother was an ok cook, but she did not go out of her way to make special meals.  She did not like vegetables, so we had mostly canned and frozen.  Only iceberg lettuce.  She did not like putting effort into her cooking.  My grandma, who I really loved, was an awful cook.  Truly, awful.  I think my dad always ate so fast because he learned that the faster you eat, the less you taste.  He loved the food in the Navy.  I don't cook anything special for myself.  I cook to live, not necessarily to enjoy. (but I love going out to fine dinning restaurants, and appreciate good food.) I can eat the same thing day after day, but I do eat fresh vegetables and  healthy food.  I think Jinger probably had food to live growing up, and does not know anything else.  TTC and tuna with barbecue sauce is food is not an example of fine dining.  She truly has never had good cooking experiences (I identify).  Cooking videos are probably not the best thing for her to do.

'

• Like 5
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

Maybe Jinger has no memory of good home-cooked food.  I know I don't.  My mother was an ok cook, but she did not go out of her way to make special meals.  She did not like vegetables, so we had mostly canned and frozen.  Only iceberg lettuce.  She did not like putting effort into her cooking.  My grandma, who I really loved, was an awful cook.  Truly, awful.  I think my dad always ate so fast because he learned that the faster you eat, the less you taste.  He loved the food in the Navy.  I don't cook anything special for myself.  I cook to live, not necessarily to enjoy. (but I love going out to fine dinning restaurants, and appreciate good food.) I can eat the same thing day after day, but I do eat fresh vegetables and  healthy food.  I think Jinger probably had food to live growing up, and does not know anything else.  TTC and tuna with barbecue sauce is food is not an example of fine dining.  She truly has never had good cooking experiences (I identify).  Cooking videos are probably not the best thing for her to do.

'

But she now has a husband who presumably is acquainted with spices and seasonings. They’re just pathetic.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

It's pointless to suggest it, but it would be really nice if at least one of these idiots would WATCH a video and LEARN a thing before they tried to teach it.

I said this way back when Jessa tried her hand at cooking videos (and quickly gave up when her attempts were mocked), and I'll say the same for Jinger....it would make so much more sense for her to lean into her Duggarly culinary ignorance instead of pretending to know anything worth teaching. Her whole shtick could be that she grew up with very little variety in her food and very basic recipes that were mostly made up of canned foods, and now she's trying to teach herself how to cook and enjoy new foods and won't we join her on this adventure, etc. Considering she's willing to allude to the public's desire to see any of the Duggar kids break with their family by using "free" in her new book title, she knows full way that people will jump at even the slightest hint of criticism of her family. But she only uses that when discussing disagreements over Christian tenets, which, sure, is probably  a huge deal in their bubble, but at the end of the day, all it is is fundie inside baseball which no one really give a shit about.

It really speaks to how 1)she's as arrogant as every other Duggar in thinking that the general public has anything to learn from her, and 2)she likely doesn't see much wrong with how she was raised (other than the nonsense fundie minutiae) if she can't even bring herself to admit that her family didn't teach her anything about food and cooking.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

I said this way back when Jessa tried her hand at cooking videos (and quickly gave up when her attempts were mocked), and I'll say the same for Jinger....it would make so much more sense for her to lean into her Duggarly culinary ignorance instead of pretending to know anything worth teaching. Her whole shtick could be that she grew up with very little variety in her food and very basic recipes that were mostly made up of canned foods, and now she's trying to teach herself how to cook and enjoy new foods and won't we join her on this adventure, etc. Considering she's willing to allude to the public's desire to see any of the Duggar kids break with their family by using "free" in her new book title, she knows full way that people will jump at even the slightest hint of criticism of her family. But she only uses that when discussing disagreements over Christian tenets, which, sure, is probably  a huge deal in their bubble, but at the end of the day, all it is is fundie inside baseball which no one really give a shit about.

It really speaks to how 1)she's as arrogant as every other Duggar in thinking that the general public has anything to learn from her, and 2)she likely doesn't see much wrong with how she was raised (other than the nonsense fundie minutiae) if she can't even bring herself to admit that her family didn't teach her anything about food and cooking.

I’d like to see Jinger do press for her book and be interviewed about the alleged changes in her belief system. Without Jeremy butting in and answering for her! Anyone think she could handle even one interview? 

• Like 3
  • Sad 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

All of her devoted followers should send her cook books for Christmas. Perhaps she would get the hint and learn something. 

I did that for my mom once when I was a kid. That woman could burn boiling water, but she was really into Emeril when Emeril was a thing. (I'm really dating this anecdote with that detail.) So, I got her an Emeril cookbook, not so much out of meanness but because it seemed like maybe she'd like it and learn. She did like it, and she used it to make Christmas dinner. I don't remember what it was, but I just remember she somehow burned it worse than her already impressive usual amount of scorching and we had to eat someone else's lasagna for dinner instead. LOL I never saw her use the Emeril cookbook again. 

Getting her husband I hated a parenting book was a much more effective act of passive aggression because man did he explode with rage at that gift, which is exactly what 9 year old me wanted. 😂

I guess my point with this anecdote is even if Jinger finds the cookbook gifts touching, she may not get the intended lesson from them. Or maybe it will just piss her off, which, depending on the giver's intentions, would be successful. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
On 10/25/2022 at 1:23 PM, Zella said:

Also if you're disinterested in cooking and food, that's fine, but why continue to double down with the cooking videos? They don't seem to have any genuine passion for anything they do. It always just comes off as some inept cash grab, and I really don't think the cooking shtick is any different from the podcast or their candle company or their books or any of their other ventures. 

Yeah, the Vuolo's half-assed nature is rearing its ugly head yet again.  I do think Jeremy at least is a foodie, so there is some passion there.  But, once again Jinger and Jeremy fail to do any research before jumping in head-first.  All of their business ventures are unsustainable due to this.  Then they quickly forget about the candles or the hats or the podcast when they do not get immediate results instead of actually planning their promotions of their ventures.  One post or video on Instagram is never going to to cut it.  

The amount of work that all successful influencers do on a daily basis to build their platform and then profit is a full-time job.  No one just lucks into this.  From deciding which of your interests you are going to promote to crafting your online "self" to posting out into the void as you patiently wait to gain followers to planning out your weekly and even monthly SM posts to editing your videos to give you something that sets you apart to deciding which brands you are willing to partner with, etc., etc., etc.

• Like 6
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

I agree it is a ton of work when done well and that their business model is unsustainable.

I am not actually convinced Jeremy is a foodie, though. I think he likes to cram his face with food and posture with it, but I don't get the impression he's a genuine gourmet or has any real knowledge about cuisine. That's why I am pretty sure it is no coincidence that his food posts just consist of him shoving food in his face and thinking he's cool for eating whatever it is. I bet if they plopped him in front of a camera and asked him to cook or talk about food beyond "I liked it!" he'd look as stupid as Jinger. 

It really depends on your definition of foodie is.  For me, a foodie is a poseur.  It's someone who is chasing trends and eating at the hottest new food joints be it restaurants or food trucks.  They don't have any real knowledge of cuisines and the histories behind them.  They just chase trends.  

• Like 7
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It really depends on your definition of foodie is.  For me, a foodie is a poseur.  It's someone who is chasing trends and eating at the hottest new food joints be it restaurants or food trucks.  They don't have any real knowledge of cuisines and the histories behind them.  They just chase trends.  

In that case, yes he is a foodie! It's not a term I'd self apply (even though I love to cook and eat), but I feel like, as with everything else these two do, there seems to be no genuine interest or passion underlying the content. They seem to just want to be preening snobs for the Gram, which is pretty insufferable really.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Love 7
25 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Jeremy just goes to popular local places or restaurants he's read about or more likely had suggested to him.  The food where he goes is generally good, but not gourmet level.  

Exactly, Jeremy checks online to see what is trending and that's where they go to eat.  He's not interested in obscure little restaurants where somebody's grandma makes everything from scratch.  Nor is he going to the Ethiopian restaurant with an actual Ethiopian chef or is he going to try and find out where all the best chefs like to eat.  

He's not going to join an eating club where they meet once a month and the members take turns seeking out exceptional, but unknown, cuisine.  He just wants to go where the people he perceives as cool are going.

Jeremy may be a foodie, but he is surely not a gourmand.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 4

For those of you so inclined, JinJer will be live on YT tomorrow at 11 ET with their big, earthshaking announcement. She's apparently in Bend, Oregon. Is that close to where the obnoxious Rolloff girl lives?

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Thanks 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
1 minute ago, Salacious Kitty said:

For those of you so inclined, JinJer will be live on YT tomorrow at 11 ET with their big, earthshaking announcement. She's apparently in Bend, Oregon. Is that close to where the obnoxious Rolloff girl lives?

Yes that is where they own a home. 

6 hours ago, YupItsMe said:

Maybe she’s joining Audrey’s downline and will start selling oils.

Oils that she can’t smell. I saw a short of the video watching Jeremy’s sister play the fiddle. Maybe Valerie is performing there?

6 hours ago, YupItsMe said:
Edited by SMama
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Has anyone ever heard of Mary Murphy? She says she was a close childhood friend to the Duggar sisters.

https://www.thelist.com/1079821/jinger-duggar-vuolos-childhood-friend-predicts-fallout-from-her-upcoming-book/

I think it's the family of this guy -- who was a doctor in Springdale and an enthusiastic conservative evangelical. 

https://www.nwaonline.com/obituaries/2021/nov/11/garland-murphy-iii-2021-11-11/

I've seen him mentioned a few times in various accounts of the years when IBLP/ATI were wrestling with the abuse allegations against Gothard.  When I was looking through those, I looked him up and found out he lived near the Duggs. But I don't remember seeing anything about him or his family except as related to the Gothard mess -- 

One of those mentions is here -- " I forgot to mention that earlier in the week of the 2014 Denver meeting Bill flew to Mexico to meet with one of the accusers. Her husband was a witness along with Dr. Doty Murphy who accompanied Bill as the mediator. When the abused women were sent packing in 1980 many had no support or money and a meeting was out of the question. Bill for several years after the scandal refused to talk with any of the women because he was supposedly banned by the board from doing so. (He made this claim in a 1983 phone call when he was trying to get Ruth to change her story. The board rule didn't apply when it might benefited him.)"

https://www.recoveringgrace.org/2015/10/negligence-lawsuit-filed-against-iblp/

I notice just now that, since Doty died last year, this daughter, Mary, seems to have accused him of CSA.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/DuggarsSnark/comments/rysyf9/duggars_doc_garland_doty_murphy_accused_of_csa_by/

• Mind Blown 3
  • Useful 8
19 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I think it's the family of this guy -- who was a doctor in Springdale and an enthusiastic conservative evangelical. 

https://www.nwaonline.com/obituaries/2021/nov/11/garland-murphy-iii-2021-11-11/

I've seen him mentioned a few times in various accounts of the years when IBLP/ATI were wrestling with the abuse allegations against Gothard.  When I was looking through those, I looked him up and found out he lived near the Duggs. But I don't remember seeing anything about him or his family except as related to the Gothard mess -- 

One of those mentions is here -- " I forgot to mention that earlier in the week of the 2014 Denver meeting Bill flew to Mexico to meet with one of the accusers. Her husband was a witness along with Dr. Doty Murphy who accompanied Bill as the mediator. When the abused women were sent packing in 1980 many had no support or money and a meeting was out of the question. Bill for several years after the scandal refused to talk with any of the women because he was supposedly banned by the board from doing so. (He made this claim in a 1983 phone call when he was trying to get Ruth to change her story. The board rule didn't apply when it might benefited him.)"

https://www.recoveringgrace.org/2015/10/negligence-lawsuit-filed-against-iblp/

I notice just now that, since Doty died last year, this daughter, Mary, seems to have accused him of CSA.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/DuggarsSnark/comments/rysyf9/duggars_doc_garland_doty_murphy_accused_of_csa_by/

I didn't see Mary's name in the obit. Did I miss it?

17 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

According to her blog, she changed her name to Mary from her birth name which was Ann-Phyllis.  That's the name in the obit.

Read some entries in her blog.  It seems she was the youngest girl, the Stay at Home Daughter.  However, in her mid 20's; she began to question her father's authority over her and the rest of the family.  She apparently dared to refuse an order from him which created a firestorm.  Around that time, her mother attempted suicide using the gas oven and her parents openly blamed her as the rebellious daughter who caused her mother to become suicidal.  Mom, of course, received no actual psychiatric help, just Jesus. Finally, at some point, she received an email from her father telling her to get her stuff out of the house, she was not to return home again.

After that, it seems her only contact with her parents was at funerals and such where she caught glimpses of the back of their heads.  No communication allowed per her father's orders. When she had the temerity to reach out to her mother, he let her know that all communication was to be through him; her mother was not allowed to speak with or contact her.  This lasted 13 years until he died.  No blog entries since then, don't know if she was ever able to reconcile with her mother.

Murphy was a pediatrician who was seen in an episode where he came to see one of the kids who was sick and ended up taking care of JB's father who wasn't doing well.

Edited by Notabug
  • Sad 5
  • Useful 12
51 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

She's changed her name, according to a Reddit post SHe's the youngest daughter -- listed n the obit this way -- Ann-Phyllis Murphy Elie of Arizona

45 minutes ago, Notabug said:

After that, it seems her only contact with her parents was at funerals and such where she caught glimpses of the back of their heads.  No communication allowed per her father's orders. When she had the temerity to reach out to her mother, he let her know that all communication was to be through him; her mother was not allowed to speak with or contact her.  This lasted 13 years until he died.  No blog entries since then, don't know if she was ever able to reconcile with her mother.

He must have been a whale of a "mediator" and super-helpful to those Gothard plaintiffs.....Geez. 

Also, such a great "missionary." WIth a specialty in Bludgeoning for the Correct Jesus?

"Medical mission trips and counseling ministry filled his calendar: China, Haiti, several African countries, Russia, England, Guatemala, Mexico. Two years in Moscow brought great joy to him as he directed and participated in the distribution of Bibles in the city and villages -- so many had never even SEEN a Bible!"

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, SMama said:

Jinger has her own coffee blend in a partnership with Matchbox Coffee. Awesome accomplishment, Jinger. 🙄

Shocking! 
Remember this, “Seriously, it’s seriously good coffee. And they have a subscription service, so it’s seriously convenient. And it’s seriously affordable. It won’t break the bank. Seriously. I’m not sure why you’re still reading this—go check em out!”.

🤦‍♀️

• Mind Blown 3
  • LOL 20
5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Shocking! 
Remember this, “Seriously, it’s seriously good coffee. And they have a subscription service, so it’s seriously convenient. And it’s seriously affordable. It won’t break the bank. Seriously. I’m not sure why you’re still reading this—go check em out!”.

🤦‍♀️

With an ad like that, you can see why they chose her!  😁

"Seriously," they must figure there are still tons of Dugg fans and/or "freeable Jinger" fans out there. And we know how these conservative evangelicals love their coffee -- so I guess it's not surprising.....

• Like 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Shocking! 

🤦‍♀️

Hopefully this is the delicious announcement and we will be spared another failed attempt at making a cooking video. 

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, ChristmasCandy said:

I have never seen a Bible have you 🤔

Me neither -- and I'm sure that people with Russian Orthodox churches all over their towns have never seen one either.....Now, if he was there during the Soviet Union days, (but I'm pretty sure most of the fundie Russian proselytizing came in the late 80s and beyond...) people were actively dissuaded from looking at those Bibles...>But Russia has a long Christian history, and I think most Russians have been pretty aware of that all aong...

They may not have seen an American Bible.....😟

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

Finally, years later, Jinger landed on something that makes sense. She's always enjoyed coffee and subscription shills bring in the money long term.

I don't get it though - why do so many want Jinger to fail and Jill to succeed?

They both have husbands who are jerks, they were both raised by JB & M and they share similar beliefs, and Jinger is going public saying she's shifting her beliefs a bit (still shitty beliefs) and Jill has gone public saying she still believes as JB & M. Is it because Jeremy's grift was more successful than Derick's? Is it because Derick went after JB's money? I honestly don't get it.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
8 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Me neither -- and I'm sure that people with Russian Orthodox churches all over their towns have never seen one either.....Now, if he was there during the Soviet Union days, (but I'm pretty sure most of the fundie Russian proselytizing came in the late 80s and beyond...) people were actively dissuaded from looking at those Bibles...>But Russia has a long Christian history, and I think most Russians have been pretty aware of that all aong...

They may not have seen an American Bible.....😟

I was curious and looked it up.  There was a Russian translation of the Old Testament and New Testament done in the 1950s followed by an updated version in 1968.  The scriptures were never banned in Russia.  I am hesitant to call them the Bible because this really is an issue of translation.  Russians are not calling it The BIble, so technically yes these people had never seen a Bible before.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I was curious and looked it up.  There was a Russian translation of the Old Testament and New Testament done in the 1950s followed by an updated version in 1968.  The scriptures were never banned in Russia.  I am hesitant to call them the Bible because this really is an issue of translation.  Russians are not calling it The BIble, so technically yes these people had never seen a Bible before.

I am sure the Russian Orthodox church didn't use a KING JAMES BIBLE, which, in these people's eyes, is the only true bible.    Any translation used by the Russian Orthodox church would be way too Catholic for this crowd.

I have been to Russia and remember our tour guide, who grew up under communism, telling us that, during that time, only the old people would actually attend services, that many adults were believers, but it was dangerous to be outwardly religious.

She said that the authorities monitored church services, taking photos of people as they went in and out of the building.  Attending a church service would result in immediate expulsion from the Communist Party for members, and any other adult could easily lose their job or be demoted for it.  

She also said that most children were taken to the church to be baptized by elderly relatives.  She was taken by an older family friend who was retired when she was around 5 and remembered it.  Her parents didn't go with her; they stayed home, but they knew what was going to happen and they approved.  

Under those sorts of conditions, I can see where someone might have not actually seen a Bible, let alone owned one.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 3
  • Useful 6