Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

53 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Allie Beth Stuckey is pukeworthy. I'll pass.

I've never heard of her so I have no idea of what she's like, but in this interview Jinger did 95% of the talking, so there was minimal ABS.  I enjoyed the interview.

• Like 3
  • Useful 4
1 minute ago, Gemma Violet said:

I've never heard of her so I have no idea of what she's like, but in this interview Jinger did 95% of the talking, so there was minimal ABS.  I enjoyed the interview.

I can't go into why she's so pukeworthy, as it violates board rules. But suffice it to say that she's a dangerous little shit. 

• Like 9
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 6
  • LOL 1

Jeremy is either the worst photographer in the world or he is perverse and loves to post bad pics of his cute wife. Maybe he's jealous because his best days appearance-wise are in the past. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 16

I read a summary of that interview and apparently Jinger talked about having had an eating disorder--which was speculated for years--and that Michelle helped her out of it.

Also, she told a story about how as a child she was so anxious about making god happy that she told she JB she needed to stay in her room and pray and he told her no, go out and play. Someone used the phrase "religious OCD" to describe Jinger's behavior and so far it seems pretty accurate.

I'm becoming more convinced that this book isn't going to have any kind of negative impact on Jinger's relationship with her family.

• Like 3
  • Useful 3
18 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I read a summary of that interview and apparently Jinger talked about having had an eating disorder--which was speculated for years--and that Michelle helped her out of it.

Also, she told a story about how as a child she was so anxious about making god happy that she told she JB she needed to stay in her room and pray and he told her no, go out and play. Someone used the phrase "religious OCD" to describe Jinger's behavior and so far it seems pretty accurate.

I'm becoming more convinced that this book isn't going to have any kind of negative impact on Jinger's relationship with her family.

I'm going to guess JB&M have known about the general flavor of the book for a while now. I'm also going to guess Jinger was likely able to come to some kind of peace with Michelle, but not so much with JB.

Jinger has said the book is not a "tell-all" and she seems to care deeply about her parents, but she also knows she is telling the public she had struggles because of the way JB&M raised her. I have no doubt the book is not written in a hateful way, but... saying JB told her to go out and play doesn't erase the fact that he (&M) is why she was struggling. 

IMO, the book needn't be a vengeful book to get its point across.

• Like 18
44 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm going to guess JB&M have known about the general flavor of the book for a while now. I'm also going to guess Jinger was likely able to come to some kind of peace with Michelle, but not so much with JB.

Jinger has said the book is not a "tell-all" and she seems to care deeply about her parents, but she also knows she is telling the public she had struggles because of the way JB&M raised her. I have no doubt the book is not written in a hateful way, but... saying JB told her to go out and play doesn't erase the fact that he (&M) is why she was struggling. 

IMO, the book needn't be a vengeful book to get its point across.

Yes, but I really don't think Jinger or anyone else in those circles is analyzing it in that light. Like I said in a previous post, JB's going to be upset that the general public will read it that way, and likely isn't thrilled that Jinger's book is stirring that up, but I can't see him feeling that strongly about Jiinger's new beliefs and what she thinks about the ones she grew up with.

JB is both really sincere in his batshit religious views while also easily discarding  beliefs that no longer serve his financial and social goals. Fundies as a whole have gradually shifted to more "wordly" appearances and behaviors that were unimaginable for them not that long ago, because their leaders see the writing on the wall and know that it behooves them to look more mainstream if they're ever going to stop bleeding followers. Calvinism has long infiltrated all the various sects. JB allowed two Calvinists to date and eventually marry his daughters. All his daughters wear pants; some of the adults think nothing of posing videos of their kids dancing to music with a beat. The only adult child JB has a problem with is Jill, and that's only because her husband made him hand over money.

All those evolving convictions are tacit acknowledgements that they were all wrong and struggling with their previous beliefs to some extent. It's trickier for the Duggars  because those beliefs became their shtick, so they held on to them publicly much longer that they probably did privately (there's a picture of a teenage Jinger wearing pants in the TTH), but at this point, I think even JB has demonstrated that he knows IBLP is largely nonsense. Jinger will give him and Michelle the victim edit, and the only ones who won't buy it are those of us who are already inclined to put the blame and JB/M where it belongs.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

I think the only reason JereME hasn't lost it over Jinger getting all the attention is that he is thinking of all the shoes and gourmet burgers the expected royalties will buy him.  Given a much slicker marketing campaign for this book, they do have the possibility of some royalties over their advance.

• Like 12
  • Applause 2

With all the insults pointed towards almost every pic Jinger takes of Jeremy that gets posted here, I'd say they're equal in sucky picture taking.  

Neither takes nor posts very good photos of each other.  And that actually goes for every other family member.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

Jinger will give him and Michelle the victim edit, and the only ones who won't buy it are those of us who are already inclined to put the blame and JB/M where it belongs.

Well said! I think JB especially is responsible, since Meech stopped thinking for herself long ago. I believe that if she'd never married him, she'd probably be living a pretty mainstream life. JB is a huge control freak and a very awkward human being in general. He was always going to fail at the important things in life, while being successful at lining his own pockets. 

• Like 7

I think this book might make some of JB&M's cohorts squirm a bit. There are plenty of uber Fundies that don't want their kids thinking there are other choices. I'm almost certain JB&M don't want the Lost Girls thinking there are other choices.

To me, labelling JB&M as victims emphasizes their role in creating Jinger's struggles. I'm okay with that. They may think they're saying Jinger is an ungrateful child and should appreciate the way she was raised, but what they're also saying is JB&M raised Jinger that way, so they are the ones to blame - not Gothard.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, SnapHappy said:

With all the insults pointed towards almost every pic Jinger takes of Jeremy that gets posted here, I'd say they're equal in sucky picture taking.  

Neither takes nor posts very good photos of each other.  And that actually goes for every other family member.

It is quite pathetic, especially given that Jinger once claimed to be the “family photographer.” 🤣

13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think this book might make some of JB&M's cohorts squirm a bit. There are plenty of uber Fundies that don't want their kids thinking there are other choices. I'm almost certain JB&M don't want the Lost Girls thinking there are other choices.

To me, labelling JB&M as victims emphasizes their role in creating Jinger's struggles. I'm okay with that. They may think they're saying Jinger is an ungrateful child and should appreciate the way she was raised, but what they're also saying is JB&M raised Jinger that way, so they are the ones to blame - not Gothard.

True, aren’t all of the lost girls still wearing skirts only?

• Like 9

In the video, Jinger says that she previously believed that all sorts of birth control were abortion.  The interviewer asked if she meant all forms, not just hormonal (the pill).  Jinger said yes, all forms and that she thought she was going to eventually have 19 children.  This mindset kind of explains Jessa, Kendra, etc. having one after another.    

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 10
  • Sad 4
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, lascuba said:

Jinger wrote about the ED in her book with Jeremy. Nothing new there. 

I assume JB had to tell her it was okay to play or whatever because he was her umbrella of authority. I wonder if Jinger ever shared this anxiety with her parents? She seems to have suffered a lot of anxiety. I wonder if this is common within the IBLP? I mean, they rule with fear, so I imagine being raised that way is hell. 

• Like 6
23 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

In the video, Jinger says that she previously believed that all sorts of birth control were abortion.  The interviewer asked if she meant all forms, not just hormonal (the pill).  Jinger said yes, all forms and that she thought she was going to eventually have 19 children.  This mindset kind of explains Jessa, Kendra, etc. having one after another.    

The “mindset” shows that they weren’t taught much science/biology. 🥲

• Like 8
  • Sad 3
3 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Jinger wrote about the ED in her book with Jeremy. Nothing new there. 

I assume JB had to tell her it was okay to play or whatever because he was her umbrella of authority. I wonder if Jinger ever shared this anxiety with her parents? She seems to have suffered a lot of anxiety. I wonder if this is common within the IBLP? I mean, they rule with fear, so I imagine being raised that way is hell. 

I wonder if she’s less anxious now because her new beliefs in Calvinism/predestination tell her that it doesn’t matter what she does in life. She’s either one of the “chosen” or not and none of her actions can change that. Great “get out of jail free card,” isn’t it? 

• Like 10
2 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

To me, it sounds like they were fed the hardline prolife talking points. Which of course have nothing to do with science. 

Well, yes, but had they eventually learned basic biology, they’d realize that birth control doesn’t actually kill embryos. In fact, hormonal forms simply prevent ovulation. If no egg is released, there can’t be any abortion. Obviously condoms prevent semen from even entering the uterus, and even emergency contraception (aka the morning after pill) acts by preventing pregnancy, not ending a pregnancy. They are just unbelievably ignorant. 

• Like 11
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Well said! I think JB especially is responsible, since Meech stopped thinking for herself long ago. I believe that if she'd never married him, she'd probably be living a pretty mainstream life. JB is a huge control freak and a very awkward human being in general. He was always going to fail at the important things in life, while being successful at lining his own pockets. 

JB's true Gods are Money and Power.   In either order.   Equally?

• Like 8
27 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

She seems to have suffered a lot of anxiety. I wonder if this is common within the IBLP? I mean, they rule with fear, so I imagine being raised that way is hell. 

At five years old Spurgeon was worried about being 17 and not finding the one, allegedly followed by worrying what if he died without meeting his soul mate. 

Kids that age are usually in the here and now. Thoughts of the future revolve around what they want to play next, what snack they want, and how to put off chores and homework. Ben and Jessa rule with fear and it shows.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 16
1 hour ago, AstridM said:

She’s either one of the “chosen” or not and none of her actions can change that. Great “get out of jail free card,” isn’t it? 

You mean that you don't get a get out of jail free card in any of those cults ?

I don’t care if she was coached but I got a good laugh at Jinger pointing out how Gothard told people how to conduct their marriages, how to raise their children, but he never married and had no children. Even if you do not know much about the Duggars her parents are going to come across as just plain stupid, gullible rubes who screwed up 19 kids (and counting) based on the whims of a sexual predator.

• Like 16
  • Applause 3
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I picture Jeremy trying to slither all stealth-like into frame during Jinger's photoshoots, only to have the photographer tell him, "Sir, can you move?  We only want Jinger."

"Sir, can you move?  We only want Jinger Duggar."   😂

• Applause 1
  • LOL 17
3 hours ago, AstridM said:

Well, yes, but had they eventually learned basic biology, they’d realize that birth control doesn’t actually kill embryos. In fact, hormonal forms simply prevent ovulation. If no egg is released, there can’t be any abortion. Obviously condoms prevent semen from even entering the uterus, and even emergency contraception (aka the morning after pill) acts by preventing pregnancy, not ending a pregnancy. They are just unbelievably ignorant. 

At the very least, you'd think they'd use the rhythm method (well, maybe some of them do), but I guess that flies in the face of the "always be joyfully available" mantra.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

They had to have known because she talked about being anxious and afraid at night and going into her parents bedroom often to tell them about it. I think she said they would talk to her. So far she has not said anything bad about her parents but she certainly said a lot about Gothard and how ridiculous and cult like the ILBP is.  It is kind of funny that JB insisted Jeremy listen to Gothard's tapes or videos. Jeremy and Jinger listened/watched together online and then Jeremy would point out things that were not biblical or just crazy. 

• Like 4
20 hours ago, AstridM said:

I bet that super special salad cost more than $12.

$11.25 if you buy it in-store, $15.35 from Doordash. In Northern California, anyway.

6 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

One has to wonder how much science they were taught. I imagine it wasn't much. The girls probably only learned about ovulation when they were old enough to read Meech's monthly chart, which hung in the kitchen, IIRC. 

That is so very very creepy and invasive. I guess you would have a good idea of when to NOT go into your parents' room at night.

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

$11.25 if you buy it in-store, $15.35 from Doordash. In Northern California, anyway.

That is so very very creepy and invasive. I guess you would have a good idea of when to NOT go into your parents' room at night.

Taking my reply to small talk.

The one thing I hope is that this book puts the final nail in the IBLP coffin.  People have been calling out Gothard's false teachings for years (see Recovering Grace), but no one more mainstream famous had done so until now.  Since Jinger was part of the propaganda piece known as Growing Up Duggar, to see her disavow those beliefs is going to resonate with some people within the community.  There will still be diehards like Jill Rodrigues and Lori Alexander, but I think MacArthur is hoping to pull a lot of people who may be wavering his way.  He wants younger middle to upper middle class people to fill his churches and his pockets.  The oldsters he has now are dying off.

• Like 4
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I have a question. It seems to me all organized religions have always been run by men and still are with a few exceptions. Doe the Bible teach patriarchy? 

Short answer, yes.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

I think the only reason Jinger made "the change" in faith interpretation was because Jeremy, her husband and headship, told her to and pointed her in his direction. She is still just as much controlled now as she was then. I feel sorry for her, I really do, because I don't think she has been given proper education and life experience to actually be her own person. 

• Like 21
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 1/27/2023 at 12:38 PM, AstridM said:

Well since JB and Meech think that birth control made Meech miscarry or some shit like that (please feel free to correct me) it's not surprising they think that way. 

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Meow Mix said:

He wants younger middle to upper middle class people to fill his churches and his pockets.  T

That leaves out the Rodrigues'.   Jill WANTS to grift into high class.   But the poor starving waifs look is the only thing getting her anything now.  

Gothardism is dead.  Even those who still claim to follow it -- don't really.  And the next generation is moving into more mainstream ultra conservative churches.  Because 1) those don't want to live such restricting lives and 2) they don't want to be 18 people living in a 3 bedroom house after having a kid a year they can't support.   There will be more Jingers than Jill R's in the future.   The kids who grew up poor and crowded won't want to do that as adults, once they find out there are choices.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Like 15

I wish I could be that optimistic (and I do agree that there will be fewer gothardites) but we have an alarming number of the kids who should know better riding the baby train. None of them have made it to the double digits yet, but that's mostly because they haven't had time. I'm quite sure that the M train would have kept going if FF wasn't unavailable. Jed! Joe, Joy and Jessa aren't showing signs of stopping either. Now, you could argue that (for all but Jessa) they missed a lot of the realities of what it means to have 18 people in a three bedroom house, but then you've got Nurie Rod-Keller. Both Nathan and Nurie dealt with the realities of growing up Gothard and yet here's little Newman (complete with letter theme, which neither family had) on his way before Nemo hit 1. 

It makes me sad.

• Like 11
  • Sad 7
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, satrunrose said:

I wish I could be that optimistic (and I do agree that there will be fewer gothardites) but we have an alarming number of the kids who should know better riding the baby train. None of them have made it to the double digits yet, but that's mostly because they haven't had time. I'm quite sure that the M train would have kept going if FF wasn't unavailable. Jed! Joe, Joy and Jessa aren't showing signs of stopping either. Now, you could argue that (for all but Jessa) they missed a lot of the realities of what it means to have 18 people in a three bedroom house, but then you've got Nurie Rod-Keller. Both Nathan and Nurie dealt with the realities of growing up Gothard and yet here's little Newman (complete with letter theme, which neither family had) on his way before Nemo hit 1. 

It makes me sad.

Agree, along with some revulsion of this adoration of baby bumps and loads of babies and young children.  It's like they worship a fertility god rather than Jesus!

• Like 14
  • Sad 4
On 12/18/2022 at 9:45 AM, Fosca said:

Why is it so brown?  I've never had brown pizza; it looks more like something I cleaned up when my cat ate something wrong.

ETA: Someone on Reddit suggested it was a taco pizza with a refried beans base, burnt cheese, and canned jalapeños.  That makes the most sense to me, but I still wouldn't eat it.  

Well, this will teach me never to look at this thread whilst eating my lunch 🤢

having recovered somewhat from the taco that Jeremy made and, presumably, Jinger ate, I have finally somewhat caught up on this thread. 

I will be interested to see what she has to say. It must be tricky to criticize the Gothard cult without making the parents look bad. Of course, I do think that JB and M were pretty awful. I am glad she is on her journey of freedom. 
I think in some/most pictures she is trying to be photogenic. She looks better than okay, but the camera doesn’t love her. 
I am wondering if her book is successful by the church standards, whether she will appear on their merch. I can see a book that is a collection of “her favorites”—prayers, meditations, Bible verses—- or maybe a few Bible study guides ala Beth Moore.

Edited by Twopper
  • Like 4
  • LOL 9

I thought Jinger did pretty well in that interview. It's hard to break away from your parents, but it has to feel great to break away from that creep Gothard and disgusting Josh. I'm glad for her that she's come as far as she has. With Jeremy as her support system, she probably won't journey much farther religion-wise, but she is clearly happier where she is now. I hope that her speaking out inspires others in IBLP to do the same and that that awful institution dies out. 

• Like 14
  • Useful 2

The whole interview will be on Nightline which airs after Jimmy Kimmel . Don't know if it is earlier on the west coast. Should be interesting as I think she is trying to not blame her parents but condemn Gothard and IBLP.  Juju is a good interviewer which I doubt Jinger was prepared for. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 3
18 minutes ago, SMama said:

😂

Jinger is quoted as saying (re birth control) “just because children are a blessing doesn’t mean you should have as many as you can.” 😱 🔥 

Your turn, JB & Michelle, Joe & Kendra, Ben & Jessa. 

Wow. Never thought I'd hear a Duggar say that. 😳

• Like 18
6 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

I thought Jinger did pretty well in that interview. It's hard to break away from your parents, but it has to feel great to break away from that creep Gothard and disgusting Josh. I'm glad for her that she's come as far as she has. With Jeremy as her support system, she probably won't journey much farther religion-wise, but she is clearly happier where she is now. I hope that her speaking out inspires others in IBLP to do the same and that that awful institution dies out. 

If she is happy, then good for her. In a way, she did get what she wanted. 

• Like 10