Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Caitlyn Jenner and Jeremy meeting up would be interesting. Caitlyn is very conservative, was athletic and is the epitome of privileged. She and Jeremy share many characteristics. 

Maybe Jeremy could ask for Bruce's old clothes ?

• LOL 15
On 10/27/2019 at 10:10 AM, Rabbittron said:

For all will know she could be telling the truth about the music. She didn't say when she listened to it. It could be today that she is listening to it.

And it could be that even if the rules against secular music eased up a bit over the years and she became more aware of music that had previously been at least somewhat forbidden, it just didn't particularly appeal to her. I was never really exposed to a lot of music while I was growing up. We didn't tend to listen to the radio, and the handful of records we owned consisted of Polish folk music,, Polish military airs, a Polish singer of the sort of Doris Day variety, and The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins soundtracks. I was vaguely aware of, for instance, the Beatles, whose heyday coincided with out move from England to the USA, but though I could sing the chorus to "She Loves Me, yeah, yeah, yeah", I think I only knew it because all the kids were singing it. not because I'd actually ever heard it. Even years later, while there are some Beatles songs I know and love, I can't say I've ever really listened to them on purpose, and am probably completely unaware of 90% of their music. I wouldn't doubt that the Duggarlings who have ventured out into the world a bit more fall in the same sort of boat.

• Love 2

Jer and Bin have plenty of company in the way-conservative white evangelicals' old-fart Yay for Ye club just now. 

https://slate.com/human-interest/2019/10/kanye-west-jesus-is-king-evangelical-biblical.html

West has arguably been a “Christian rapper” for years; “Jesus Walks” is 15 years old. But both the substance of Jesus Is King and the publicity around it have convinced many evangelicals that something different is happening now. Focus on the Family praised the album’s “distinctly Christian message.” (“Bravo Kanye, bravo!”) An anti-abortion activist wrote a listicle of the album’s 10 best lyrics for the Federalist. (“Where he would’ve continued making music glorifying sin, West now glorifies God.”) Pat Robertson’s Christian Broadcasting Network now covers his concerts regularly. ...

...West’s conversion didn’t happen overnight. About a year ago, he started hosting traveling invitation-only “Sunday services” that looked awfully like church services. West has plenty of ties to the circle of young, stylish pastors in Justin Bieber’s social circle; one of them performed his lavish wedding in 2014. But he has chosen a theologically rigorous Calvinist pastor as his latest spiritual mentor. The Rev. Adam Tyson is pastor of a small church outside Los Angeles and has close ties to the Master’s Seminary, known for its conservative theology. (Its students and teaching faculty are all male; one of the Duggar sisters’ husbands is a current student.) Over the last several months, Tyson has been on the road with West and has conducted Bible studies with West and his team in Wyoming. He told Christianity Today earlier this month that West is “a new brother in the faith.” Church Clarity, a crowdsourced database of churches’ positions on gender and sexuality issues, reports that Tyson’s church is “non-affirming” on LGBTQ issues and non-egalitarian on the question of women’s leadership.      [This last is absolutely part of that "spot-on" theology Jer was bragging about......]

ETA: It's all about these guys praising a non-old-white-conservative-guy for being one of the smart few who's now bowing down and paying homage to the exact beliefs held by old white conservative guys. Your mania may see it as praise for you, KW. But it's actually just them patting you on the head for having the sense to praise them and their self-serving "faith."  (and you're not only being patted on the head by Focus on the Family; you're being patted on the head by Jer and Bin. Chew on that for a minute. 😦 )

EMMLTA: Oh, look. More white-pride people on Jer's and Bin's bandwagon. 

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/all-the-wrong-people-love-jesus-is-king-1839438683?utm_source=theroot_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-10-29

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 9
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

ETA: It's all about these guys praising a non-old-white-conservative-guy for being one of the smart few who's now bowing down and paying homage to the exact beliefs held by old white conservative guys. Your mania may see it as praise for you, KW. But it's actually just them patting you on the head for having the sense to praise them and their self-serving "faith."  (and you're not only being patted on the head by Focus on the Family; you're being patted on the head by Jer and Bin. Chew on that for a minute. 😦 )

Exactly. Welcome back to the plantation mentality, Yeezus. Of course, it’s just fine because it’s a choice. 🙄

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder why Jeremy felt so compelled to offer an explanation. Folks question a lot of the shit they do. Why is Jer so worried about this particular issue?

He didn't even wait a day. MacArthur? JB? Free food?

Michelle's at home saying, "This is what happens when you live in a big city and wear pants".

Well, it's increasingly clear that the Two Yay for Ye Adjacents are part of a movement among conservative evangelicals on this (and conservative pols and commentators and such who support conservative evangelicals... for their own reasons)....Looks pretty clear word has gone round that "we're going to support this loudly."

Perhaps to counter suspicions that conservative white evangelicals are kinda sorta racist? 😈 ...To boost their waning attractiveness to younger people?.....In hopes of gaining more support -- and a broader demographic of support -- for people and issues they favor, including in politics maybe? 

Not gonna work. 😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, galaxygirl76 said:

The more I think about it, the more it bothers me that these fundies(it's not just the Duggar adjacent ones, I've seen more around the web) are hitching their wagon to a man who clearly needs help/take his medication just because this mentally ill man is saying things that they approve off right now.

They believe that all that’s been wrong with Kanye was caused because he didn’t have Christ in his life.  There are MANY Christians who believe that mental problems are caused by Satan and once you give your life to Jesus, all of those problems disappear.  I can almost guarantee that Kanye believes that.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

The more I think about it, the more it bothers me that these fundies(it's not just the Duggar adjacent ones, I've seen more around the web) are hitching their wagon to a man who clearly needs help/take his medication just because this mentally ill man is saying things that they approve off right now.

Yeah it has occurred to me that Kanye is being taken advantage of by other people. If he is mentally ill, then people around him should be trying to help him. He doesn't seem to listen to Kim and the Kardashians/Jenners much. I hope the alumnus from Jeremy's seminary advised Kanye to get mental health help from professionals as well as getting right with the Lord.  @Churchhoney What is MacArthur's position on mental health issues? I think most mainstream evangelical churches believe in getting help, but some don't. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Yeah it has occurred to me that Kanye is being taken advantage of by other people. If he is mentally ill, then people around him should be trying to help him. He doesn't seem to listen to Kim and the Kardashians/Jenners much. I hope the alumnus from Jeremy's seminary advised Kanye to get mental health help from professionals as well as getting right with the Lord.  @Churchhoney What is MacArthur's position on mental health issues? I think most mainstream evangelical churches believe in getting help, but some don't. 

It looks like they are all using him for what they want, whether money or promoting an agenda, so who among them would interfere with that.  This is not to say that I have any pity for Kanye, which quite honestly, I don't;

These are dangerous people who would like nothing more than to take away rights from others.  A dictatorship would suit them fine.  I realize how extreme this sounds, but we do know their views and it's a numbers game as to how much support they have.

• Love 22
8 minutes ago, Temperance said:

Both Kanye and Kim have discussed Kanye's bipolar diagnosis. Once the correct medication regime is found, bipolar can be stabilized and managed for many folks. Rarely, if ever, does a person newly diagnosed, stay on their meds for their first one or two go rounds. I think the public has seen evidence of this with Kanye. One of the most common complaints of the medications is reduced affect and loss of creativity.

I've never heard the Duggars directly speak about behavioral health issues other than a mumbo-jumbo bullshit post from Jessa a while back. I'm sure, after reading Churchie's post, they all just ignore Kanye's health issues.

Also after reading Churchie's post, the whole Jeremy moving to LA and upping his SM game, makes much more sense to me.

I doubt Jeremy realizes that he and Kanye are both low level pawns in this warped game of chess.

• Love 21
5 minutes ago, Puffin said:

Gosh what a bore he is! I listened to about 3 minutes, Can’t believe this guy thinks he can be a pastor.

I made it to the 2:35 mark. Jeremy loves to hear himself talk. He's boring as hell and his ramblings are nothing but word salad. I hope he keeps a current resume on deck because he has zero chance of making it big as a pastor.

• Love 22
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

It's basically just like his stance on social justice.  (as in the letter of which Jer is such a proud -- and prominent -- signatory)

If you believe you've suffered from prejudice or the like and you protest against that and seek social justice, you're wrong and either a heathen or a bad Christian. Because a good Christian knows that the only true problem you ever have in your life is your own insufficient faith in Jesus. 

Along the same lines, MacArthur's been involved for decades in quite bitter disputes about pushing the Bible (and the Bible only) on people who others would say need (or may also need) psychological or psychiatric care or non-bible-based counseling. 

He does acknowledge now that there are some mental illnesses with a biological basis that can benefit from drugs, however. So it's definitely possible that a medical doctor could convince him that Kanye should be on meds. (although it doesn't seem his protege Tyson is doing anything about that....inconclusive, though......).

In both the social-justice letter and in his stuff about psychology vs. getting yourself converted, he's kind of trying to play both sides these days, I'd say......

Kinda sorta acknowledging that things might possibly rarely occasionally sorta happen that can't be fixed by the sufferer of those things becoming a more devoted Calvinist. But in both cases, most of what he says undercuts that suggestion and keeps saying over and over again that if you're suffering, you're obviously not Christlike enough, so get on it.....

Anyway, below is a bit of something he wrote in 2014 about a situation involving a suicide of a young man in his church, back in the 70s. The church won the lawsuit he mentions. The young man involved also had seen medical and mental-health professionals on his own, besides talking with the GCC people.

When it comes to what Jer is learning and embracing, there's no question that this is it. Since it's well known that MacArthur brooks no deviation from his teachings, even slight ones, among the people he supports and approves of, including students: 

In 1980, Grace Community Church was hit with a lawsuit charging that the pastors on our staff were negligent because we tried to help a suicidal young member of our church by giving him biblical truth. It was the first clergy malpractice case ever heard in the American court system.....

....He knew from Scripture that suicide is wrong. We urged him to let the Word of God lead him to intimate knowledge and appropriation of the resources available in the One who wanted to heal his troubled mind. Tragically, he refused our counsel and took his own life.

One of the key issues the case raised was the question of whether churches should have the legal right to counsel troubled people with the Bible.......The Bible may be fine as an encouragement to the average person, we are told, but people who have real problems need a psychological expert’s help.

Therefore, this lawsuit contended, church counselors are obligated to refer seriously depressed and suicidal people to mental-health professionals.......

Too many have bought the lie that a crucial realm of wisdom exists outside Scripture and one’s relationship to Jesus Christ, and that some idea or technique from that extrabiblical realm holds the real key to helping people with their deep problems.

True Soul Work

True psychology (“the study of the soul”) can be done only by Christians, since only Christians have the resources for the understanding and the transformation of the soul.....

Scripture is the manual for all “soul work.” It is so comprehensive in the diagnosis and treatment of every spiritual matter that, energized by the Holy Spirit in the believer, it leads to making one like Jesus Christ. This is the process of biblical sanctification.

It is reasonable for people to seek medical help for a broken leg, dysfunctional kidney, tooth cavity, or other physical malady. It is also sensible for someone who is alcoholic, drug addicted, learning disabled, traumatized by rape, incest, or severe battering to seek some help in trying to cope with their trauma.

There may also be certain types of emotional or mental problems where root causes are identifiably organic, or where medication might be needed to stabilize an otherwise dangerous person. These are relatively rare problems, however, and should not be used as justification for the indiscriminate use of secular psychological techniques for what are usually spiritual problems. Dealing with the physical and emotional issues of life in such ways is not sanctification!

Certain techniques of human psychology can serve to lessen trauma or dependency and modify behavior in Christians or non-Christians equally. But since the secular discipline of psychology is based on godless assumptions and evolutionary foundations, it is capable of helping people only superficially with no contribution toward their spiritual growth.

Christian Psychology?

“Christian psychology” as the term is used today is an oxymoron. The word psychology no longer speaks of studying the soul; instead it describes a diverse menagerie of therapies and theories that are fundamentally humanistic. That is to say, they are fundamentally at odds with a biblical worldview.

The presuppositions and most of the doctrine of psychology cannot be successfully integrated with Christian truth.....

Our Lord Jesus reacted in a perfect and holy way to every temptation, trial, and trauma in life—and they were more severe than any human could ever suffer. Therefore, it should be clear that perfect victory over all life’s troubles must be the result of being like Christ.

No “soul worker” can lift another above the level of spiritual maturity he is on. So the supreme qualification for psychologists should be Christlikeness, not a degree or a state license.....

There may be no more serious threat to the life of the church today than the stampede to embrace the doctrines of secular psychology. They are a mass of human ideas that Satan has placed in the church as if they were powerful, life-changing truths from God. Most psychologists epitomize neo-gnosticism, claiming to have secret knowledge for solving people’s real problems.....

The result is that pastors, biblical scholars, teachers of Scripture, and caring believers using the Word of God are disdained as naive, simplistic, and altogether inadequate counselors. Bible reading, study, diligent application, and prayer are commonly belittled as “pat answers,” incomplete solutions for someone struggling with depression or anxiety. Scripture, the Holy Spirit, Christ, prayer, and grace—those are the traditional solutions Christian counselors have pointed people to. But the average Christian today has come to believe that none of them really offers the cure for people’s woes.

https://www.gty.org/library/blog/B140909

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

They believe that all that’s been wrong with Kanye was caused because he didn’t have Christ in his life.  There are MANY Christians who believe that mental problems are caused by Satan and once you give your life to Jesus, all of those problems disappear.  I can almost guarantee that Kanye believes that.

I am on a Christian singles page on Facebook (I never post anything and I keep thinking I need to delete it but I love snarking on it - it is my guilty pleasure).  Yesterday I saw more than one post about Kanye "changing his life" and "accepting Christ."  I'm over here reading the comments thinking Kanye has some serious mental issues and is heading to some sort of breakdown and you are praising him when before you probably would never have wanted anything to do with him.  

Getting back onto topic, my feeling is that Jeremy and the other Duggars believe that if someone is following God and have accepted Christ into their lives, then all mental problems are miraculously gone and they are "normal" (well, as normal as the Duggars ever get).  

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 4

The DSM-5 is full of diagnoses. The DSM-II actually had homosexuality as a diagnosis. So in the scheme of things many mental health diagnoses are not treated with medication. But in reality, the average Joe and the average preaching Joe have only heard of diagnoses that are treatable with medications; anxiety, depression (including PPD), bipolar, schizoaffective, schizophrenia, and symptoms of PTSD and trauma can all improve with medications. Most personality disorders do not respond well to medications.

So MacArthur, Tom Cruise and Jessa all need to stay in their own lanes and go fuck themselves.

• Love 24
13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The DSM-5 is full of diagnoses. The DSM-II actually had homosexuality as a diagnosis. So in the scheme of things many mental health diagnoses are not treated with medication. But in reality, the average Joe and the average preaching Joe have only heard of diagnoses that are treatable with medications; anxiety, depression (including PPD), bipolar, schizoaffective, schizophrenia, and symptoms of PTSD and trauma can all improve with medications. Most personality disorders do not respond well to medications.

So MacArthur, Tom Cruise and Jessa all need to stay in their own lanes and go fuck themselves.

I think the biggest problem with believing you have a direct line to God is that you then also believe that everything is your lane. 

MacArthur, Duggars, at least some Duggar adjacents, etc.....among those who think this way....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13

I wonder what they'll do when Kanye slips into a depressive phase? Will he change his tune and have to be talked down by the mentor guy? Will he dump Kanye entirely (my hope)? If so, will Jeremy and Ben then denounce him? Will Kanye ever get the help he REALLY needs? 

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7

WTF! ..  (from an FB group)

When you’re a celebrity who also happens to be a born-again Christian, God will reward you with millions of dollars on top of the millions you already have — at least that’s according to Kanye West‘s version of Christianity.

During an appearance on late night talk show host James Corden’s Carpool Karaoke this Monday, the musician and vocal Trump supporter said that the $68 million tax refund he received in 2019 was his reward from God for being a good Christian.

“God is using me to show off,” West told Corden. “Last year I made $115 million and still ended up $35 million in debt. This year I looked up and I just got $68 million returned to me on my tax returns.”

“People need to hear [from] someone that has been put into debt by the system, talk about these type of numbers now that they’re in service to Christ,” he continued.

As Alex Young points out in a recent article for the Consequence of Sound, Kanye’s tax refund was definitely a blessing, but it didn’t come from God. It came from his other savior, Donald Trump.

“It also helps that he now finds himself at the head of a church likely exempt from paying taxes,” Young writes.

Watch the video below, via The Late Late Show with James Corden:

https://deadstate.org/kanye-west-my-68-million-tax-refund-is-gods-reward-for-me-being-a-christian/

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

This was my experience when I worked at a job with a bunch of fundies. A couple of us opened up about experiences with depression, and the answer was you need Jesus. They didn't really have a solution upon finding out the person in question was already a Christian and still struggled with depression. The implication was you must not be a very good Christian if you still had depression.

Both Jeremy and Jinger followed a young,  hip mega church pastor called Jarrid Wilson and his wife Juli. The Rollofs also follow them. Jarrid was a mental health advocate and suffered with depression for years. He committed suicide in September leaving behind 2 boys. So many well known people left behind heartfelt comments and then the other half called him a sinner for taking his life.

Nothing from Jeremy and Jinger.

https://www.nytimes.com/1985/05/12/us/church-counseling-defended-in-suicide-case.html

In the 80s MacArthur's church was sued after a man committed suicide under their counseling. 

"Dr. Adams testified that the minister in charge of Grace Community Church's counseling program was disdainful of professionals in the mental health field. ''His whole air was antipsychiatry and antipsychology and he alone had the power to dispense the word of God"

Edited by Lunera
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Fuck them, too. My husband is a true believer, yet he still suffers from severe depression. He needs medical interventions.

Agreed! I was not impressed at all. Some of these people then fancied themselves as effective counselors, and I basically told them that they should keep their mouths shut if they wanted to help someone with depression because their bullshit was not helping anyone. 

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Yeah, they are very pro vitamins though, claim that's what cures depression and other ailments.

Yeah the thing I learned from Going Clear that just really stood out to me for its lunacy--in a book that was full of batshit craziness--was that Tom Cruise apparently thinks bee pollen cures fucking everything. 🙄

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10

Hummm  I think Jeremy is trying to live his best life in California.  What he needs is money.  California is expensive.

Kanye has money to burn.

Could the young preacher see $$ signs when he looks at Kanye.  Does Jinger have anything that makes Kanye open his checkbook up and make a contribution to the young preacher and his Dugger wife?

Stay tuned!!!

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I wonder what they'll do when Kanye slips into a depressive phase? Will he change his tune and have to be talked down by the mentor guy? Will he dump Kanye entirely (my hope)? If so, will Jeremy and Ben then denounce him? Will Kanye ever get the help he REALLY needs? 

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

This is all so bizarre, fascinating and unsettling to watch unfold in real time.  Kanye West proclaims his Christianity and suddenly all eyes are on him.  Like - truly all eyes - from the President down to Rev. Fancy Pants.  Kanye is on the highest of highs.  Where does he have to go from there?  No one can sustain that level for long, especially someone with a documented mental illness who may not be taking his meds because they inhibit his creativity - not to mention, he is surrounded by people including his wife and his mother-in-law who profit from his every move.

So when he does eventually crash, what will Jeremy do?  Why do I have a feeling that this scenario is exactly what Jeremy is waiting for, so he can be the one to swoop in with his sermons and nurse Kanye back to health?

• Useful 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

God, she is boring.

241824A4-A504-431C-AB8B-C16DD5F816A0.png

I realize she's having a lot more fun than she'd have if she were stuck in Arkansas. But it's still just an awkward combination of try-too-hard influencer-speak and a sad wannabe-ness that hankers after sophistication or "class" or something. 

I wish she'd join a local Fountain Pen Club and hang out with people who get together, dress up like Jane Austen or Milton and write sonnets. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12

Briefly off topic:  Pastor Steven Anderson preached a sermon about Kanye for over an hour Sunday night.  You can find it on YouTube, if you’re interested in hearing it.  He’s giving Kanye, John McArthur and Alan Tyson hell.  He also mentions Masters Seminary.

• Useful 11
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Exactly. Jeremy is a desperate fame-monger grasping at whichever straws he thinks can help him reach his goals.

I have no problem with ambition, and I'll concede there's a certain "fake it to make it" aspect to getting what you want in life, career-wise. My problem with Jeremy is his complete lack of integrity. Last year he's warning teenage boys against the evils of masturbation and this year he's endorsing a guy who bragged about fucking his wife on a sink. His identity changes with the wind.

Yeah, I agree. It's just so transparent he is trying to get on this Kanye publicity train.

• Love 13

I'm certain Kayne won't be able to hold it together no matter how hard he tries. However, the people who are exploiting him (McArthur, etc.) will go to lengths to keep their prize under control and out of the spotlight when the inevitable happens. Kayne is very famous, so that may not work. I'm curious what will happen with Jeremy, who may be ambitious but not terribly realistic or bright. And then there is poor, clueless, tagalong Jinger. 

• Love 13
16 hours ago, Zella said:

Yeah the thing I learned from Going Clear that just really stood out to me for its lunacy--in a book that was full of batshit craziness--was that Tom Cruise apparently thinks bee pollen cures fucking everything.

Lunacy is everywhere, the Duggars' think Jesus cures everything, half the Internet thinks coconut oil cures everything, the other half think essential oils are the one true cure. 

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Lunacy is everywhere, the Duggars' think Jesus cures everything, half the Internet thinks coconut oil cures everything, the other half think essential oils are the one true cure. 

Apple cider vinegar! Hydrogen peroxide! 

🙄

• LOL 18