Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, beagletime said:

I feel kind of bad snarking on the brides outfit.  I don't know if she borrowed it, maybe she's pregnant, all she could afford or looks better from different angles. If she likes it, I like it.  They look like a nice young couple and I wish them many years of happiness.  

That being said, I can't imagine anyone using that for a wedding photography ad.  It looks like a surveillance photo.

The groom does look as if there is a father with a shotgun that we don't see.

And Jeremy is a pompous you know what and I can't stand him.   I don't feel bad saying that!

Great post.  I agree, especially about Jeremy.

LOL at father with shotgun!  

• Love 4

I just caught up and saw the dress. Oh, honey, noooooo. I hope she felt beautiful and I hope her friends felt guilty later on for not telling her how terrible that dress was (and I hope they never do tell her, because it's too late now and feelings will just get hurt).

I wonder if Jeremy felt defrauded in any way? That dress looks like the back and maybe the bottom half were see through lace. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, emma675 said:

I just caught up and saw the dress. Oh, honey, noooooo. I hope she felt beautiful and I hope her friends felt guilty later on for not telling her how terrible that dress was (and I hope they never do tell her, because it's too late now and feelings will just get hurt).

I wonder if Jeremy felt defrauded in any way? That dress looks like the back and maybe the bottom half were see through lace. 

Even if there were parts which might have been a little more sheer than ideal, I just can't see anyone ( except maybe the groom who may or may not have been patiently waiting for the moment he got to get his first glimpse of what lay beneath) really being defrauded my that...

• Love 9
6 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

On J and J’s IG videos, Jinger pronounces Daddy like this:  Datty, with emphasis on the T’s.  It drives me crazy!  Does the woman not know how to correctly spell Daddy?

Have you ever heard her pronounce “Felicity?” 🤣Maybe she has some kind of speech disorder.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

On J and J’s IG videos, Jinger pronounces Daddy like this:  Datty, with emphasis on the T’s.  It drives me crazy!  Does the woman not know how to correctly spell Daddy?

Felici-Tee!  Odd!  

2 hours ago, Lunera said:

Ummm, he posted this on his stories over a week ago. I guess he just wanted to show off the suit again.

This one, again?  It really wasn’t that great to begin with, much less to repeat!  

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
9 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

It's a weird inflection to my Chicago-based brain because we pronounce our "t's" as "d's." 

I think most American accents will end up pronouncing the "t" in the middle of a word with a more "d"-like sound. Pronouncing the t's sounds a bit off, especially if the word has an "r" at the end which is sounded. So, if you are American, "water" will be something like "WAH-der", where if you are British, it will more often be more like "waw-tah". It's when you are in between that it just sounds affected.

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

My Brooklyn accent would kill you lol. Koh fee anyone?

I thought it was caw-fee! LOL...Actually, I really adore accents, and wish I had the talent of being able to mimic them with any degree of authenticity. Weirdly, I can do it when I am singing, but there are very few I can even get close to in speech. Even having grown up in a home where my parents both have heavy Polish accents, I wouldn't even be able to begin mimicking that as it just sounds so "normal" to me.

To get back to Jinger, I get the feeling that she is trying to sound classy and refined, but since her sphere of influence is so small she has to rely on an attempt at a sort of mid-Atlantic thing without really knowing what that entails.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

How did Southern Jinger end up with such a strange speech inflection?

RFP has probably given her diction lessons.  She's Eliza Doolittle and he's Henry Higgins.  Seriously, I do think he may well have made her feel self conscious about her Arkansas accent and her current affectations in speech are a reaction to it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

How did Southern Jinger end up with such a strange speech inflection?

Sometimes people say things odd. My aunt pronounces the word hurry as her-vy. No one else in they family says it that way and she pronounces every thing else correct..well as correct as you can with a Texas drawl.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

RFP has probably given her diction lessons.  She's Eliza Doolittle and he's Henry Higgins.  Seriously, I do think he may well have made her feel self conscious about her Arkansas accent and her current affectations in speech are a reaction to it.

I think you’re exactly right.  She doesn’t want to sound like an Arkansas redneck, but she’s taken it too far on the other end of the spectrum, so now she just sounds silly.  I think Jeremy has her every move under his microscope, and that would be a miserable existence IMO.  If I’m right, I hope that she finally gets tired of trying to please him and tells him to shove it up his pretentious ass.

• Love 13

Most Americans I know make the ts ds like liddle instead little. I've known Americans from various regions who do this. 

It's possible Jinger has been listening to books on tape or is around people who talk like this. I know I start to mimic people's accents when I'm around them without trying or sometimes even noticing I do it. Even listening to someone sing or talk over the internet sometimes has an effect on my accent. 

• Love 11
8 hours ago, Temperance said:

Most Americans I know make the ts ds like liddle instead little. I've known Americans from various regions who do this. 

It's possible Jinger has been listening to books on tape or is around people who talk like this. I know I start to mimic people's accents when I'm around them without trying or sometimes even noticing I do it. Even listening to someone sing or talk over the internet sometimes has an effect on my accent. 

That's apparently a thing we all do naturally, to a greater or lesser degree, because our brains have evolved to empathize and bond with whatever group we're in -- for survival's sake, obviously. It happens to me in a pretty major way, too. And I kind of enjoy it. Although a couple of times I've been suspected of mocking somebody's accent (when I didn't even realize I was copying it)....that's not good. 

I guess it could go either way with Jingle -- maybe she's picked it up accidentally from some influence that's around her or maybe she's deliberately trying to sound more upscale and less Arkansas. 

I had a teacher in college who had an unusual accent that nobody could place. Somebody asked him where it came from and he said, "Pure cultivation." 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8

My mom moved from the south to eastern New England. Two similar, but very different accents. Eventually my parents landed in western New England, a place with no accent at all.

One thing my mom never lost was placing Rs in the middle of random words like, warshing machine. My dad would throw an R on the end of any word ending in a vowel like, a peninsular. They both continued to pluralize words like, Let's go to WalMarts.

What was most noticeable for me as their child, is what I learned to call certain things like, cellar instead of basement, supper instead of dinner, bureau instead of dresser, etc. 

I'm guessing Jinger noticed her own speech first, when courting Jeremy and speaking with his family. Moving to LA she'll probably notice even more.

What I'm really wondering is if Jinger realizes she has little to add to even the most basic conversations. I'm thinking fitting in her Gothard-speak doesn't go far. What else does she have? Abortion, no. NY, NY, Nike. Australia, kangaroos. TX, sweet friends. School, perpendicular. Everything is Jesus, God, modesty and more Jesus, praying and more God.

• Love 15
58 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

My mom moved from the south to eastern New England. Two similar, but very different accents. Eventually my parents landed in western New England, a place with no accent at all.

One thing my mom never lost was placing Rs in the middle of random words like, warshing machine. My dad would throw an R on the end of any word ending in a vowel like, a peninsular. They both continued to pluralize words like, Let's go to WalMarts.

What was most noticeable for me as their child, is what I learned to call certain things like, cellar instead of basement, supper instead of dinner, bureau instead of dresser, etc. 

I'm guessing Jinger noticed her own speech first, when courting Jeremy and speaking with his family. Moving to LA she'll probably notice even more.

What I'm really wondering is if Jinger realizes she has little to add to even the most basic conversations. I'm thinking fitting in her Gothard-speak doesn't go far. What else does she have? Abortion, no. NY, NY, Nike. Australia, kangaroos. TX, sweet friends. School, perpendicular. Everything is Jesus, God, modesty and more Jesus, praying and more God.

Given her willing and apparently quite unembarrassed participation in Jer's "J&J Q&A" video sessions a few months ago, I'm guessing that, at least at that point, she didn't realize it. 

Maybe time and more exposure to others are changing that. However, I wonder how much substantive exposure to conversation she's really getting -- especially conversation in which other women participate on an equal basis with the men or conversation among non-Duggar women sans men.

Maybe she is doing non-familial female socializing, but I don't remember seeing any evidence of that. What we know she's doing is going out a lot with Jer and several guys....and Jingle with Felicity and the cellphone camera.....And, of course, they've also been out with various super-Christians of the "women can't go to our school" and "the whole meaning of Gabby's life will be to serve Cade" persuasion.....

Those kinds of social events might lead her to conclude she's got everything it takes, conversationwise. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Temperance said:

I get this.  I was born and raised in the Detroit area but I’ve lived in the Twin Cities about 30 years so I have a weird hybrid Michigan/Minnesota accent.  But I’m also a choral singer and you do that long enough and it will affect how you form your words, especially your vowels. 

I wonder if living in LA will affect her speech patterns. In my visits to California I think most people speak with a very neutral accent but LA also attracts people from all over and, all things considered, Jinger exists in a pretty insular world. It’ll be interesting to see how she speaks a year or two from now.

• Love 8
53 minutes ago, latetotheparty said:

I get this.  I was born and raised in the Detroit area but I’ve lived in the Twin Cities about 30 years so I have a weird hybrid Michigan/Minnesota accent.  But I’m also a choral singer and you do that long enough and it will affect how you form your words, especially your vowels. 

I wonder if living in LA will affect her speech patterns. In my visits to California I think most people speak with a very neutral accent but LA also attracts people from all over and, all things considered, Jinger exists in a pretty insular world. It’ll be interesting to see how she speaks a year or two from now.

I lived in England until I was 10, and, of course, had an English accent. I think I had lost it almost completely after about three years in Connecticut, and the rest of it went away over time. Maybe it was because my parents exclusively spoke Polish at home that there was no influence there to reinforce keeping it. I find that when I go back to visit, I very quickly begin to sort of think in a British accent, but I'm too self-conscious of how I am forming the words, somehow, to begin mimicking it. If anything, my American accent gets broader to compensate. I hate that.

I haven't actually seen any clips of Jinger speaking, so I don't know exactly what she is doing, but it does seem that she must be doing it consciously if it's sounding as stilted as described. Whether that is due to Jer's influence or her own feeling of needing to reinvent herself as something other than an Arkansas hayseed, I have no clue.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 4

People "overcorrect" speech and writing as well in an attempt to sound more educated, higher class, or like others around them. It almost never works because the speaker isn't familiar enough with the target group's speech or writing to make it sound authentic. On a different note, I had a doctor with a strong British accent who also used British word choices. I was surprised to learn that he had lived in the United States for over twenty years and was married to an American. Holding onto the accent and vocabulary was intentional. He was an excellent surgeon, by the way. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 10/19/2019 at 8:32 AM, latetotheparty said:

I get this.  I was born and raised in the Detroit area but I’ve lived in the Twin Cities about 30 years so I have a weird hybrid Michigan/Minnesota accent.  

Born and raised in the Twin Cities, 53 years old. I’m always pegged from the Midwest due to Fargo-isms and friendliness.  “You’re not from here, are you?”

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

He dressed like that to get a burger at Habit?  Good grief, Jeremy, how to look waaaaay out of place.

It was probably lunch right after church. Still looks like a doofus.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 13
28 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Seems like he often circles back to this Peewee Herman look. Must be a favorite. But I'm skeptical. Some men can pull off the bow tie thing but it doesn't work for Jer, in my opinion. The sizes of everything -- the tie, his head, his lapels -- all seem to be off somehow, every time he dresses this way. 

Not only is the bow tie too small, it's the wrong tone for the pocket square.   The colors are too bright to go with the muted tones of the pocket square.   I'm all for mixing patterns and textures,  but not in different tones.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Maybe Jer is saving the bow ties for his future son.

Maybe he wears 'em to coordinate with Felicity. 

Head bow & Neck bow. The perfect matching father-daughter ensemble. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, Catfin said:

Born and raised in the Twin Cities, 53 years old. I’m always pegged from the Midwest due to Fargo-isms and friendliness.  “You’re not from here, are you?”

Born and raised in Wisconsin near the Twin Cities. I'm always asked if I'm from Canada.

Jeremy is starting to look like a cartoon character.

• LOL 8
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

It was probably lunch right after church. Still looks like a doofus.

It wouldn't matter if it was right after church.  That look would be doofus level in that congregation.

• LOL 19
  • Love 1