Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20181031-105814.thumb.jpg.4fab7863b3fbdd644cd8f73a8bc14477.jpg

I don't think he was "violently attacked" in school for being a Christian, if anything, he was probably called out for being a homophobic bigot. 

Also, perfect timing Jermy, on the day when some of the Jewish victims were laid to rest.

There's no way that wasn't deliberate.

• Love 19
11 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Wow, the Christian faith - that's a very, very broad sweep that Jeremy made. 

You ladies are probably right. One day Jeremy was probably spouting something Jesus-y and ONE student probably said, "Get your head out of the sand, there's more than one way to look at something."

That's EXACTLY how I see it!!! Poor little Jeremy had never been exposed to anyone who didn't have his exact worldview, and real school with diverse people was a shock! I'm 99.99% sure he was that dickhead who interrupted the class to pompously share his POV as fact when nobody asked for it. I had this kid in a linguistics class with me in college who would interrupt the professor, who had been teaching there since the FIFTIES, and say, "well, you're incorrect according to my research..." what research, loser?! You're 18!!! I'm absolutely positive he was that person. An "ostrich with its head buried in the sand" is exactly how I would describe Jeremy, and I'm Christian myself!

side note: it is not uncommon to have an internal crisis when you go off to university! Until I went, I had never met people who were so openly hostile and in your face about their hatred of Christianity! If you just remarked that you went to church, people would get all up on you and start yelling about how stupid you are! That was definitely a HUGE eye opener for me. Just like people can't stomach Jeremy, most people find the other extreme annoying too. I'm not saying there weren't people like that in Jeremy's experience who baited him, but we also know how intolerant his faith is! Blowhards of any faith / persuasion are annoying in college!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 16
42 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

That's EXACTLY how I see it!!! Poor little Jeremy had never been exposed to anyone who didn't have his exact worldview, and real school with diverse people was a shock! I'm 99.99% sure he was that dickhead who interrupted the class to pompously share his POV as fact when nobody asked for it. I had this kid in a linguistics class with me in college who would interrupt the professor, who had been teaching there since the FIFTIES, and say, "well, you're incorrect according to my research..." what research, loser?! You're 18!!! I'm absolutely positive he was that person. An "ostrich with its head buried in the sand" is exactly how I would describe Jeremy, and I'm Christian myself!

side note: it is not uncommon to have an internal crisis when you go off to university! Until I went, I had never met people who were so openly hostile and in your face about their hatred of Christianity! If you just remarked that you went to church, people would get all up on you and start yelling about how stupid you are! That was definitely a HUGE eye opener for me. Just like people can't stomach Jeremy, most people find the other extreme annoying too. I'm not saying there weren't people like that in Jeremy's experience who baited him, but we also know how intolerant his faith is! Blowhards of any faith / persuasion are annoying in college!

That's terrible, I'm sorry that happened to you.  I'm a die hard atheist but I have respect for all beliefs and faiths.  I can't even imagine telling someone they're stupid for their beliefs. 

Edited by Talky Tina
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

These guys must be fun at parties...

Perhaps there has been some gossip going on about Jeremy's less-than-stellar attendance record each Sunday at his church. . . . Because "you know, it'll hinder a pastor's leadership in the church. . . "  (not that I disagree with the sentiment that gossip is a bad thing. . . just disagreeing with their holier-than-thou performance here.)

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I was harassed on a daily basis by "Christians" when I was in high school. I was stopped in the hall, singled out in class, and accosted in the library EVERY DAY by various "Christians" who felt compelled -- at that very moment -- to tell me I was going to hell. When my father died, a car driven by a "Christian" adult with two children on board pulled up alongside my 10 year old sister at the bus stop. The driver rolled down the window and shouted "your father is in hell now!"

Somehow, I think this story is as edited as David Waller's pecan story. My guess is that he was being a holier-than-thou asshole to his classmate, and that person didn't want to listen to any more of his shit. I just don't believe that Jeremy endured in college the flip side of what I endured in high school.

I loathe evangelical Christians, though, and I'm not unbiased here.

Your story hurts my heart . I am so sorry  you were hurt.

• Love 16
11 minutes ago, drafan said:

Wasn't he out having a grand old time in college...partying, drinking, etc ?

This has to be revisionist history for Mr. Holier-than-Thou.

How did the other students in his English class even know he was religious? That certaubly was never a topic in any of my college courses (and I majored in English).

• Love 23
1 hour ago, drafan said:

This has to be revisionist history for Mr. Holier-than-Thou.

You're right. He didn't straighten up until after he got thrown in the drunk tank when he was 20.

• Love 16

When I was in college, the professor in one of my English classes started talking about things that happened in the Bible that were edited out.  I believed him even though I didn't realize the Bible was edited  at the time (this was in the dark ages before the internet so  you couldn't Google everything).  One of my classmates got extremely upset and dropped the class because: "he is an atheist."  He never said he was an atheist, that was her opinion because of things he said about the Bible (not God or Jesus, just the Bible).  I stayed in the class and eventually, he shared with us that his father was a Methodist minister. He treated the Bible as literature.  I can see Jeremy being like my classmate -- a professor said something that is true, but he didn't agree with it and another classmate saying "you are living like an ostrich." 

Edited by Lisa418722
  • Love 17

He's been forgiven for all that, so it's like it never, ever happened, see? If he says 50 more Hail Mary's 'Jesus is my lord and personal savior's God destroys the drunken arrest record!

• Love 17
14 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

How did the other students in his English class even know he was religious? That certaubly was never a topic in any of my college courses (and I majored in English).

Exactly. I have a policy of being rude to people pushing their religion on me. I'd bet money that he was being a condescending asshole about his christianity and that's why he was called out.

• Love 19
11 hours ago, kokapetl said:

I wonder what he was like when he was playing soccer in ?? Finland. A nominally Evangelical Lutheran ✝️ country, with a tricky language.

With a pretty crazy drinking culture no less. I wouldn't be surprised if Jeremy headed on down to Estonia for a good time at least once or twice while living in Finland. I'm doubtful his partying stopped after getting tossed in the drunk tank. Probably more recently.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, Talky Tina said:

That's terrible, I'm sorry that happened to you.  I'm a die hard atheist but I have respect for all beliefs and faiths.  I can't even imagine telling someone they're stupid for their beliefs. 

Thank you!!! Also to @cmr2014 most atheists I have known over the years have been wonderful people who didn't really care about my beliefs one way or the other. I actually went to a small Lutheran college before I went to a big university, and there were actually a decent number of atheists who went there! They were required to take religion classes, where they stated their opinion respectfully, and nobody got offended on either side. It was more an unspoken agree to disagree thing there. You might think nobody would have wanted to be their friends / date them / etc but that wasn't the case at all. That's why I was shocked when I went to a big university, and people felt openly entitled to mock Christians at every chance they got! I was always the one who tried to point out that we're not all of the intolerant bigot faction, and that's when they would get in my face and yell about my beliefs being stupid. I did find a Christian group to get involved with there, which helped, but the environment was totally hostile. Someone like Jeremy wouldn't have lasted a day, lol! Then again, when I got into the real world, I met plenty of "live and let live" Christians and atheists. I think college (and high school as @cmr2014 experienced) can be such a stressful time, and some people think they are always right, so they take out their stress on whatever group they consider to be the "enemy." Plus they are immature enough to think they obviously "know everything," right? I have found outside of college, nobody cares about my beliefs. 

Didn't jeremy go to a small, maybe Lutheran college too? Seems like I read that somewhere. I think he went to Syracuse for a year or so, but a small college up until then? Considering most people who attend colleges like that are already Christians, and usually pretty tolerant, you have to be a REAL blowhard to be targeted for your bigoted Christian beliefs there! We did have a couple Jeremys at my small college, and they were universally hated. We also had a number of Jingers who felt the same way but kept their mouths shut, and they were usually not popular, but not hated like the Jeremys. 

ETA: we had one girl at the Christian college who, looking back, HAD to be Gothard. Everyone just thought she was weird, but sweet. She wore frumpy tops and long jean skirts every day, and had waist-length, super curly hair. She was EXTREMELY conservative, and always acted uncomfortable, like she was paranoid about seeing / hearing something offensive. She would regularly choose to not read chapters she found offensive, for things like having a kiss in them, and was upfront about saving her first kiss for marriage. She was a piano major, which seems appropriate for a Gothard woman. The kicker, now that I think about it, is that her father was a really conservative doctor, and she was the oldest of at least ten kids, who were all homeschooled by her mom. Now that I'm sure she was in the cult, I'm thinking, good for her! I'm proud of her for going to a mainstream Christian college and getting a degree, while befriending heathens (the duggars would never have talked to me...a lot of my college outfits were kind of, ummm, revealing lol, and I constantly had drama with my toxic boyfriend!). That is more than any of the Duggars or their female adjacents have done!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 7

@MyPeopleAreNordic amen to your whole post!!! I really can't imagine how annoying it is to deal with people like that. That is DEFINITELY a plus of teaching middle school...sometimes the complete academic apathy gets to you, but I would so much rather deal with prodding kids to be interested than mansplaining by some idiot eighteen-year-old. That dude from linguistics drove me crazy, and I was just his classmate! And I can toooootally picture Jeremy in the genocide example you used. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, JoanArc said:

He's been forgiven for all that, so it's like it never, ever happened, see? If he says 50 more Hail Mary's 'Jesus is my lord and personal savior's God destroys the drunken arrest record!

I wonder if he would’ve felt the same if Jinger has done those things and begged forgiveness. Would he still have wanted her?

• Love 13
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

I wonder if he would’ve felt the same if Jinger has done those things and begged forgiveness. Would he still have wanted her?

See, that's why he couldn't marry a normal girl. Any normal girl is going to have SOMETHING negative in their past...

• Love 11

Something negative like being molested by her brother?  Because according to her "religion", females are always to blame for that. 

And we don't have a shred of evidence that he felt she brought it on or had anything to beg forgiveness for.   

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

How many truly violent acts have been committed specifically against Christians lately? What acts is he referring to when he mentions violence? Is he somehow relating  the recent violence against Jews to Christians? 

He's stating that the attack on the Jewish community is about anti-religiosity, not a specific anti-Semitic attack, which is in itself anti-Semitic.

• Love 16
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

How many truly violent acts have been committed specifically against Christians lately? What acts is he referring to when he mentions violence? Is he somehow relating  the recent violence against Jews to Christians? 

The case in Pakistan of a Christian woman who was sentenced to death for blasphemy against Islam has been in the news this week. She spent 8 years in prison. Earlier in the week, the sentence was overturned and she will be released from prison once arrangements for her safety have been made. Her family is in hiding due to the threat of violence.

Maybe this is what prompted Jeremy's post.

Edited by Triple P
  • Love 6

Since it was asked...  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-45827450

The thing is, almost everyone had multiple bad experiences related to their faith or lack thereof. I've had horrible things said to me for being Catholic. Heck the Duggars hate Catholics in a fairly well documented way. (I do wonder how deep that feeling runs with Jeremy since I've got to think being of Italian descent from the northeast, he has to have at least one Catholic relative.) None of it is ok but as the world becomes a more angry and confrontational place its potentially only going to get worse.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Talky Tina said:

I'm so sorry about your dad, it shouldn't but it always stuns me when people are so mean. 

This same thing happens to me a lot. I've actually had people leave the room when they hear I'm an atheist because I "scare" them.  I've been told so many times that I'm going to hell. I usually gasp and say "damn, I probably won't get any presents from santa either". I've been told I couldn't possibly have morals and ethics without god.  What's worse for me is the demeaning, condescending "I'll pray for you".   I'm still trying to think of a good come back to that one. 

Why can't people just remember that we're all different with different beliefs and just have respect for them all?!

I've never really dealt with atheist backlash, but to be fair, I don't identify as such unless the issue comes up, which it pretty much never does. Anyone who knows me at all has a good sense that I don't "do" religion, but somehow there seems to be a world of difference between that and being an actual, god-fearin', satan-lovin', hell-bound atheist. 

I

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Triple P said:

The case in Pakistan of a Christian woman who was sentenced to death for blasphemy against Islam has been in the news this week. She spent 8 years in prison. Earlier in the week, the sentence was overturned and she will be released from prison once arrangements for her safety have been made. Her family is in hiding due to the threat of violence.

Maybe this is what prompted Jeremy's post.

Let's see, sentenced to death, and eight years in limbo in prison for your beliefs versus someone (possibly) said something about your beliefs that kind of hurt your feelings.  I guess from Jeremy's perspective those are both examples of serious persecution for your religious beliefs.  Oh how he has suffered!!!!!  (NOT)

• Love 20
18 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I’m really, really, REALLY REALLY  REALLY over white man persecution complex.

Shut up and enjoy your life, Baaabe. You have a wife who thinks you’re the shizzle and an absolutely adorable little girl.

Unless someone is actually trying to stab you to death with your crucifix jewelry, just shut up.

This times one thousand.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Wishing Well said:

There is in fact, Christian persecution in various parts of the world.  Jeremy’s white ass in Texas though?  I would love to see him in place that is under sharia law and try to preach there.

Theres one oppressed person in his immediately family, and that’s his daughter, who will suffer from lack of education, agency, and religious freedom.

I'd love to see that. I'd pay to see any of these "persecuted" boys like Jeremy living or even just visiting any of these places where there really is Christian persecution. They want label but without going anywhere or having to deal with actually experiencing the real thing.  Real brave boys, very inspiring.

• Love 14
15 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I've never really dealt with atheist backlash, but to be fair, I don't identify as such unless the issue comes up, which it pretty much never does. Anyone who knows me at all has a good sense that I don't "do" religion, but somehow there seems to be a world of difference between that and being an actual, god-fearin', satan-lovin', hell-bound atheist. 

I

I worked at a doctors office about 30 years ago. I was telling a co-worker and a temp about a weird dream I had about the apocalypse and how I was fighting for Jesus against the devil. Both of them said, you had that dream because you haven't been washed in the blood of Jesus" ie, born again. Turned out they went to the same church. I'm Catholic, guess that didn't count. 

• Love 11

Shut up, Jeremy ?

Also, I just realized from that teepee that Felicity has an "Indian" themed nursery. They are really popular now for some reason. A pregnant woman I follow on IG posted pictures of teepees and native dolls and reavealed this as her nursery theme and I was like WTF.

• Love 13

What’s with all the smoke? JerJer vaping in the nursery? Is it on fire? 

Or are those supposed to be clouds?

Sorry, but it’s stupid unless he has some Native American heritage I don’t know about and even then...for a nursery?

• Love 24

I like it.  The photo combines the 2 most important people in Jingers life and a bit of artistic photography, something she obviously enjoys.  And it's a nod to their environment.  I'm not Greek, but my guest room is decorated with some beautiful Mediterranean accents and colors that evoke the Aegean sea.  

I see this girl having a streak of creativity that I have never seen exhibited by her sisters, in any form.    

They all slap up the same generic "inspirational" plaques on their walls, use hand-me-down furniture and cram their spaces with worn out blankets and cheap plastic crap.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 14
7 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I like it.  The photo combines the 2 most important people in Jingers life and a bit of artistic photography, something she obviously enjoys.  And it's a nod to their environment.  I'm not Greek, but my guest room is decorated with some beautiful Mediterranean accents and colors that evoke the Aegean sea.  

I see this girl having a streak of creativity that I have never seen exhibited by her sisters, in any form.    

They all slap up the same generic "inspirational" plaques on their walls, use hand-me-down furniture and cram their spaces with worn out blankets and cheap plastic crap.  

I think Jer and Fefe’s reflection is on the glass. It’s just a picture of a teepee.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lunera said:

Well, I have to say that if there were a really big prize out there for conspicuously trying too hard, Jeremy would win it. .... Over and over. 

I'm sure he doesn't intend to come off that way, either. So I sort of feel bad for him.... 

Not that bad, though, I suppose. 

• Love 14