Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Fuzzysox said:

Jinger sure missed an opportunity to have some of the most amazing food in the world while in Chicago. There are restaurants on every corner downtown and all the could find is an Arby's yuck! I know that the Duggars have an aversion to fresh, ethnic foods but come on your in Chicago live and eat some pasta, pizza (thin, thick, deep dish or stuffed), burgers (amazing ones at Kuma's Corner), and a Chicago style hotdog.

I think it was probably the same thing as Jessa saying how much she relished a Burger King burger. Seems like fast food chains were the Duggarlings' big treat when they were kids. So the older ones, at least,  have a deep emotional attachment to that food, I'd guess -- especially since the treats were plunked into the middle of the somewhat dicey food situation they faced on a daily basis. (and what I expect was the significant NON-NURTURING they generally got from their creepy parents who spent their time hey hey heying, being bonkers, and trying to run for the Senate) Hard to overestimate how deeply emotional foods and flavors are to us humans, I expect. 

Edited by Churchhoney
Over. OVERestimate.
  • Love 21

Primarily, they were in Chicago because Jeremy officiated a wedding. But there were plenty of sidetrips, including Wrigley Field, downtown, and a visit with some old pastor/writer with an enormous library. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 11
5 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I think it was probably the same thing as Jessa saying how much she relished a Burger King burger. Seems like fast food chains were the Duggarlings' big treat when they were kids. So the older ones, at least,  have a deep emotional attachment to that food, I'd guess -- especially since the treats were plunked into the middle of the somewhat dicey food situation they faced on a daily basis. Hard to underestimate how deeply emotional foods and flavors are to us humans, I expect. 

I completely understand the desire for a particular fast food even with other options available.  I have a thing for Del Taco.  Its a crazy craving and I live no where near one so when I am in an area with one, I MUST have it.  I get it maybe once every couple of years.  One of my sisters thinks I am nuts. My other sister loves their green sauce bean and cheese burritos like me so we just ignore her.  I keep trying to get my boss to bring Del Taco to our building.  I have been working on him for 10 years.  Not having much luck.    OMG!  I found some common ground with a Duggar!!!! 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Lunera said:

Idk, there was a time during her teen years, when she was in heavy into the fake bake, I noticed that she was scary skinny. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of those girls had eating disorders in the past knowing Michelle's past and their fundie culture encouraging being thin. I'm pretty sure Michelle even dragged Jana with her to get on weight watchers.

Screenshot_20181002-214359.thumb.jpg.3a4685749f3457568a1a1d8dffa0cca4.jpg

Not sure what age Jinger was here, but I know a lot of girls who have some seriously gangly years between about 12 and 14. The limbs shoot out and everything else takes a while to catch up and fill out, no eating disorder required. Hopefully there was never a problem but who knows?

• Love 9

Jinger was in her fake bake phase in this picture. That was no more than 4-5 years ago, maybe even a bit more recent. At any rate, she was closer to 20 than 12.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jinger was in her fake bake phase in this picture. That was no more than 4-5 years ago, maybe even a bit more recent. At any rate, she was closer to 20 than 12.

Exactly! I look back at old episodes and THINK the girls were young teens, when in reality they were 18-20 or so. They've always seemed so much younger than they are!

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Same here. I love Arby's and the one that was close to me closed a few years ago. Any time I'm anywhere in the vicinity of one I have to have some.  I doubt Arby's is the only thing they ate. 

I also, as someone who is often accused of having an eating disorder,  have to say that just because someone is "too thin" doesn't mean they have a damn eating disorder.  I'm naturally very thin, I'm the opposite of a stress eater. If I'm upset, depressed or anxious about something, I literally can't eat, I try hard but I gag on it if I try to force it down. It shows a lot if I'm not in a good place emotionally because I lose even more weight.

I just hate reading that everyone who is thin must have an eating disorder because it's just not true. It's really hurtful to be accused of having an eating disorder when you don't. I'm very thin and I never had one in my life.  It's just the way I'm built. 

Amen!  I could have written this especially the part about not wanting to  or not being able to eat during stressful situations.  I've been this way since little up.  I barely ate anything on the days leading up to my surgery back in May. 

I think Jinger is built differently than some of the other Duggar girls like Joy & Jill who carry a lot of weight in their cabooses. Maybe she was a slow eater growing up & the food was gone by the time she decided she wanted an extra helping. 

• Love 13

@Maharincess and @Scarlett45 you both have excellent points!!! I actually just made a doctor's appointment to try to get to the bottom of my weight gain (yay!!!) but I hate the judgment that comes with weight, too. I can only imagine what my coworkers thought when I began the semester skinny, and ended it looking almost obese. Weight is definitely more complicated than calories in / out. I would hate for people to think I eat pizza every night and skip the gym because I don't LOOK like someone who eats lean meat and salads anymore, although I do. 

Instead of weight, I tend to get concerned about peoples' behaviors. I've had two anorexic friends, and they both have engaged in the same types of non-common behaviors. I don't really know enough about Jinger to make that call, and the only thing that was even kind of alarming was her eating the salad while Jeremy ate pizza. Both of my friends had absolutely unwavering diets where it would send them into a tailspin to even THINK about eating anything "bad." You would suggest pizza, and they'd look like they were gonna shit themselves, and desperately insist on something healthy. Both of my friends would allude to eating junk food in private, or they'd take one bite to "prove" us wrong while looking for the nearest trash can. 

We didn't see the lead-up to Jinger's scene, so we have no idea. Jeremy could have suggested pizza, and she could have become flustered and insisted on a salad. She also could have said, "no, I'll pass, I had pizza last night with my friend Mary." She could just simply not like pizza. She could have not wanted it while pregnant. She could have liked pizza okay, but the place had salads too, and she likes them better. Maybe that particular pizza place has salads that are her favorite food EVER. She could have just been on a regular healthy diet, or is just trying to eat healthy, but getting enough food. She could have been concerned about putting on weight with her first baby, and was just trying to eat healthy. We don't know, though. I haven't really seen enough to know what her typical behaviors around food are. I also think it's a HUGE plus that she was excited about Arby's! My anorexic friends never, ever wanted to eat a treat, and would have been freaking out all day about it if they'd "had" to eat it for some reason. Even if they'd liked the taste, they wouldn't have savored it, and it would have been a traumatic experience for them.

I do think she looked too skinny in that picture as a teen, but some people are a little underweight naturally. I hope if she has / had an eating disorder, those who love her will get her help. 

@Maharincess I freaking love Arby's too!!! You better believe that when I have the chance and am in the mood to treat myself, it is Beef n Cheddar alllllllll the way! ?

• Love 13
12 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Same here. I love Arby's and the one that was close to me closed a few years ago. Any time I'm anywhere in the vicinity of one I have to have some.  I doubt Arby's is the only thing they ate. 

I also, as someone who is often accused of having an eating disorder,  have to say that just because someone is "too thin" doesn't mean they have a damn eating disorder.  I'm naturally very thin, I'm the opposite of a stress eater. If I'm upset, depressed or anxious about something, I literally can't eat, I try hard but I gag on it if I try to force it down. It shows a lot if I'm not in a good place emotionally because I lose even more weight.

I just hate reading that everyone who is thin must have an eating disorder because it's just not true. It's really hurtful to be accused of having an eating disorder when you don't. I'm very thin and I never had one in my life.  It's just the way I'm built. 

I agree.  I have a friend who is tall and willow like.  Its her natural size.  

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

@Maharincess and @Scarlett45 you both have excellent points!!! I actually just made a doctor's appointment to try to get to the bottom of my weight gain (yay!!!) but I hate the judgment that comes with weight, too. I can only imagine what my coworkers thought when I began the semester skinny, and ended it looking almost obese. Weight is definitely more complicated than calories in / out. I would hate for people to think I eat pizza every night and skip the gym because I don't LOOK like someone who eats lean meat and salads anymore, although I do. 

Instead of weight, I tend to get concerned about peoples' behaviors. I've had two anorexic friends, and they both have engaged in the same types of non-common behaviors. I don't really know enough about Jinger to make that call, and the only thing that was even kind of alarming was her eating the salad while Jeremy ate pizza. Both of my friends had absolutely unwavering diets where it would send them into a tailspin to even THINK about eating anything "bad." You would suggest pizza, and they'd look like they were gonna shit themselves, and desperately insist on something healthy. Both of my friends would allude to eating junk food in private, or they'd take one bite to "prove" us wrong while looking for the nearest trash can. 

We didn't see the lead-up to Jinger's scene, so we have no idea. Jeremy could have suggested pizza, and she could have become flustered and insisted on a salad. She also could have said, "no, I'll pass, I had pizza last night with my friend Mary." She could just simply not like pizza. She could have not wanted it while pregnant. She could have liked pizza okay, but the place had salads too, and she likes them better. Maybe that particular pizza place has salads that are her favorite food EVER. She could have just been on a regular healthy diet, or is just trying to eat healthy, but getting enough food. She could have been concerned about putting on weight with her first baby, and was just trying to eat healthy. We don't know, though. I haven't really seen enough to know what her typical behaviors around food are. I also think it's a HUGE plus that she was excited about Arby's! My anorexic friends never, ever wanted to eat a treat, and would have been freaking out all day about it if they'd "had" to eat it for some reason. Even if they'd liked the taste, they wouldn't have savored it, and it would have been a traumatic experience for them.

I do think she looked too skinny in that picture as a teen, but some people are a little underweight naturally. I hope if she has / had an eating disorder, those who love her will get her help. 

@Maharincess I freaking love Arby's too!!! You better believe that when I have the chance and am in the mood to treat myself, it is Beef n Cheddar alllllllll the way! ?

I have never tried Arby's but I think I am going to have to try it.  Some of their sammies DO look good.  I have had issues with meat my entire life.  I like it but I have an aversion to strange textures like when you get a small piece of bone or fat so I don't get it often.  It took me a long time to be able to eat chicken again after getting a small piece of chicken skin in some shredded tacos.  I know it's weird and a tad crazy.  I am 50 and it has only been the last few years I can eat fruit at the bottom yogurt.  Again, unknown textures, could be bugs could be fruit! Grossest moment I have witnessed?  At a round up one of the ranchers wives cutting off a giant piece of fat from her steak and eating it.  40 years later it gives me the heebie jeebies.  

I do think the Duggar girls in general are extra conscious about their weight.  They have to keep their appearance pleasing to that gross old man Gothard.  It doesn't help that they were abused.  It is also the only thing totally in their control.

• Love 9

I know we shouldn't play armchair physician, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Duggar girls have/had eating disorders. Gothard likes rail thin women, Jana was made to go to Weight Watchers, Joy, Jessa and Jinger starved themselves down for their weddings, and we regularly see the girls nibbling on salads while the guys are stuffing their faces full of french fries. You could argue that they're just being healthy, but I believe there's pressure to keep slim. Not necessarily on behalf of their husbands, but more like a cultural pressure.

• Love 21
20 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I know we shouldn't play armchair physician, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Duggar girls have/had eating disorders. Gothard likes rail thin women, Jana was made to go to Weight Watchers, Joy, Jessa and Jinger starved themselves down for their weddings, and we regularly see the girls nibbling on salads while the guys are stuffing their faces full of french fries. You could argue that they're just being healthy, but I believe there's pressure to keep slim. Not necessarily on behalf of their husbands, but more like a cultural pressure.

I wouldn’t disagree with the statement that there’s a cultural pressure to be thin for the Duggar women. Joy is the only one who’s more top heavy (like Michelle) and Jill is a natural pear shape.

Growing up as a fat kid and becoming a fat woman, I think I got less pressure because I was so far outside the ideal that I wasn’t comparing myself, and there are a lot more fat people know than there used to be. I also think most people who are heavy their entire lives aren’t as hung up on it because there isn’t a big “change” like @Christina87 described above. None of the older Duggar girls have ever been “heavy” or even CHUBBY which does surprise me in a family that large there wasn’t a single fat kid.

I do hope you’re healthy @Christina87, I think anyone (slim or fat) who gains a lot of weight quickly would feel concern and just awkward in their own body. If it makes you feel better when I see a woman gain weight I just think she started dating a lot and went to some great restaurants. ?

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 12
44 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I wouldn’t disagree with the statement that there’s a cultural pressure to be thin for the Duggar women. Joy is the only one who’s more top heavy (like Michelle) and Jill is a natural pear shape.

Growing up as a fat kid and becoming a fat woman, I think I got less pressure because I was so far outside the ideal that I wasn’t comparing myself, and there are a lot more fat people know than there used to be. I also think most people who are heavy their entire lives aren’t as hung up on it because there isn’t a big “change” like @Christina87 described above. None of the older Duggar girls have ever been “heavy” or even CHUBBY which does surprise me in a family that large there wasn’t a single fat kid.

I do hope you’re healthy @Christina87, I think anyone (slim or fat) who gains a lot of weight quickly would feel concern and just awkward in their own body. If it makes you feel better when I see a woman gain weight I just think she started dating a lot and went to some great restaurants. ?

HAHAHAHA!!!! Thanks for the laugh, @Scarlett45!!!! The funny thing is, I was actually in a very happy relationship at the time, and my boyfriend absolutely still thought I was beautiful. He would have been such a keeper if he'd wanted a family! I was scared people would THINK that I had been like, "well, I've captured a man now. I can eat cheeseburgers and pizza for every meal, and let myself go!" (Wasn't worried about my boyfriend thinking that though; he knew me and what I ate too well!). I've learned to dress better to hide the weight and make myself look slimmer, and some casual acquaintances swear they can barely tell a difference. When I was still trying to wear my clothes (I refuse to call them "old clothes," because I want to wear them again), it was a disaster. When I finally caved and bought what I needed...size 16, my confidence did go way up in flattering apparel. The worst part, honestly, is feeling awkward, like you said, and trapped in a new body. It sounds hard to believe, but it literally happened so fast that I felt like I woke up one day 50 pounds heavier! I never even realized there was a problem until too late because it was a whirlwind. When it happened, I reasoned that I could just diet and it would go away as fast as it came. It wasn't until maybe six months later that I realized if the weight ever went away, it would take a long time, and I would have this body for the foreseeable future. My mind hadn't caught up yet, and I honestly expected to see this thin girl every time I looked in the mirror! I felt like telling everyone I met, "I'm really not the size you see! I'm really a thin girl!" With a slow / normal weight gain, you realize it's happening and your mind adjusts. Now, I feel I have adjusted to this body and learned to embrace it and dress it as well as I can, but it almost makes me want to cry to see what I looked like less than two years ago. When pictures pop up on my Facebook memories, sometimes I have the urge to post them and proclaim, "IN CASE ANYONE FORGOT, THIS IS WHAT I REALLY LOOK LIKE!!!" It makes me sad to switch out the summer clothes for the second year or not wearing the size 12's, and a small part of me wonders if I will ever wear them again. I also get super jealous of anyone who is able to lose weight (unless they did it in an unhealthy way, and then I feel bad for them). Of course looks aren't everything, but I have worked so hard to be / stay my smaller weight. I'm hoping to get some answers from the doctor! Most people report a small weight his around 30, but nothing like this! I'm going to start 31 on Sunday in a very positive frame of mind, knowing that it's a possibility that I can be my normal weight again in my 30's!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 9
On 10/5/2018 at 1:14 AM, Maharincess said:

I also love Arby's, always have.  And, I have usually been naturally thin as well (outside of when I went through menopause) and I can't eat when I'm stressed AT ALL!

• Love 1
On 9/28/2018 at 1:35 PM, queenanne said:

Could they be going to Moody Bible College?

OMG, I hope so. I’m prospecting there for a sales opportunity for work and would love to bump into these three. Maybe I can get lucky and sit next to them on the plane and hold their baby and tell them all about Judaism. 

• Love 18

I can see Arby's being a special treat when Jinger was growing up. As fast food goes, its pricier than most. They only just recently started offering $1.00 sandwiches, although I'm pretty sure they have had coupons forever. I can't see it even now being part of Duggar regular restaurants. I'm not sure how it price compares to Chik-Fil-A, I don't eat there. We only got it when my grandparents took us, my mom was barley affording Happy Meals, Arby's was a no go. Even now, I know a lot of adults who can't afford it on a regular basis. I'm just happy my favorite sandwich, the chicken salad they only have during the summer, is gone for the season. I swear the sandwich meal, with curly fries and a drink, was like $8 or $9, which I was more than willing to pay, but it's really NOT healthy, just tasty. Between the carbs from the bread and the shit ton of mayo, the 1 or 2 sandwiches I get a summer are enough to last me till the next year. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

I can see Arby's being a special treat when Jinger was growing up. As fast food goes, its pricier than most. They only just recently started offering $1.00 sandwiches, although I'm pretty sure they have had coupons forever. I can't see it even now being part of Duggar regular restaurants. I'm not sure how it price compares to Chik-Fil-A, I don't eat there. We only got it when my grandparents took us, my mom was barley affording Happy Meals, Arby's was a no go. Even now, I know a lot of adults who can't afford it on a regular basis. I'm just happy my favorite sandwich, the chicken salad they only have during the summer, is gone for the season. I swear the sandwich meal, with curly fries and a drink, was like $8 or $9, which I was more than willing to pay, but it's really NOT healthy, just tasty. Between the carbs from the bread and the shit ton of mayo, the 1 or 2 sandwiches I get a summer are enough to last me till the next year. 

My friend, from a large Catholic family who couldn't afford to be large, has this whole sense memory of his father going somewhere, eating a Beef 'n' Cheddar, and then bringing him the empty wrapper (!) after the fact and saying "Smell this!", and my 6-8-year-old friend huffing it like a crazed puppy.  It's actually kind of surprising more Duggars haven't gone down the Josh "feelings-eating" road, because the first chance my friend got at free food prepared by someone else (restaurant manager), it was all over for him, and he'd been one of those rail-thin people all through college.  This was probably 60-70 pounds ago.

• Love 8

My only 2 cents on the whole Jinger not eating pizza is that I know a lot of new and nursing moms avoid milk, it tends to be a big cause of upset baby tummies and is one of the first things most moms will cut out.  Maybe she just decided to go ahead and forgo it to avoid any issues.  As for Arbys while I was never a huge fan of it the fact that Bob from Bob's Burgers is doing the commercials now is tripping me out lol

• Love 6

Was the salad vs. pizza while she was pregnant?  Or after?  Cause the tomato sauce in pizza can give me killer heartburn when I’m not pregnant, and it was downright unbearable when I was pregnant.  That might be why she decided to forgo it as well. We don’t really ever see a lot of what they eat because she’s smarter than Jill and knows better than to try and post food pics. Though Jinger’s would probably look more appetizing. Even if they were PB&J. 

• Love 10

Folks, a reminder as we sometimes see some push for people to "prove" or explain why the feel a way. From the Mod Announcement and Policies

Snark the show and its participants, not your fellow posters. The following are frowned upon: lecturing, being rude or dismissive, verbally attacking, etc. Also, this is not a debate club, no one wins nor are posters required to provide a bibliography to support their opinions. And please remember - some people like the Duggars, and that's fine! Do not shame people for holding an opinion, whether they're in the minority or the majority here.

No one has to prove or explain why they think Jeremy is the way he is. You can disagree with a poster without demanding that they explain or prove it. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

There wasn't a single child in the congregation who could have used that skateboard?  It couldn't have been donated to a shelter or a school or a Christmas toy drive?  I get that Jeremy posing with a skateboard to promote the giveaway is reasonable, but I don't think he needed a freebie.  Of course, he's married into the Duggars, who are champions at grabbing freebies, so he is just playing the game, but it really bugs me when an adult, who can well afford a toy if he wants one, takes one that could've gone to a kid who doesn't have that opportunity.  Isn't Jeremy's church in a low income area?  Why would he take a toy that he doesn't need instead of donating it to a child?

I done some volunteer work in Central and South America and Africa where little kids are playing in puddles with sticks and broken dishes.  They go crazy for a bottle of bubble solution or a coloring book and a couple of crayons. We donate jump ropes and soccer balls to the schools where we set up clinics and the teachers have been known to cry when they get our donations.  It probably makes me oversensitive to this stuff.

I think it would’ve been great for Jeremy to pose with the skateboard on Instagram (to give publicity to the artist) and then donate the board to a charity auction. I have a good friend that’s a minister, and she’s always organizing things like that. 

• Love 13

He probably will donate the skateboard.... eventually.

The art is interesting to me. I could see a lot of fundies thinking it's mocking the bible, including Jer's in-laws in their early-TLC days. (Now of days not so much, but the early years.) 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Felicity does seem to be a happy little sprite.  I wish they'd ditch the headbands but Jinger has probably never seen a bareheaded baby girl and doesn't know it is possible.  I like my babies with as little frou frou as possible.

Jinger follows that horrible Audrey Roloff, I think Jinger is copying Ember's style. Audrey also puts those huge bows and head knot things on her baby. At least this bow doesn't seem to be cutting the blood flow to her head.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Jinger follows that horrible Audrey Roloff, I think Jinger is copying Ember's style. Audrey also puts those huge bows and head knot things on her baby. At least this bow doesn't seem to be cutting the blood flow to her head.

its the style now. my sweet and adorable granddaughter wears them all the time. even if audrey did not put them on her baby, i think jinger would have done it -- its just the popular look today. 

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, zoomama said:

its the style now. my sweet and adorable granddaughter wears them all the time. even if audrey did not put them on her baby, i think jinger would have done it -- its just the popular look today. 

Yep. My friend was showing me pics of her cousin's baby a few weeks ago and the baby had a giant head knot on her head. It looked like a horn, it was sticking up so high. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, leighdear said:

I do not believe for a second that Jeremy would either keep or ride that skateboard.  He's promoting the work of a new friend on social media, and I believe his reference to being a kid is simply his sense of humor. 

For all the solitary "pensively drinking coffee and reading scripture" type photos he's in, he also includes a very wide range of friends and acquaintances, explaining who they are and what they do.  For all the "me" he posts, there's also a lot of "them".  And his support of "them" gets them attention and possibly a wider audience.  I think he's a generous person. 

I will absolutely eat crow if we ever see a legit photo of him carving on that board.  Maybe a jokey pic, with him in a suit with a bow-tie, but I honestly can't see him keeping it when it can go to a disadvantaged kid.  YMMV.  

I agree he will probably donate it, mainly because I think most people end up donating or giving away stuff that aren't going to use on regular basis. It's too nice to throw out, so it will be donated. Possibly to some sort of church auction for charity or the church.  It may go to TTH for young brothers in law to use. I don't think Jeremy has much use for a skateboard. Most people use them as toys; I'm not sure it would be particularly useful as a mode of transportation. 

Basically I think Jeremy will get rid of it, because it's not practical for him, which would be true for most people. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Lunera said:

Why is Audrey Roloff horrible? 

Better a knot/bow thing than the infamous fake pigtails. 

• Love 4