Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Dumb question: is the Grace Church thing a common fundie church name? My parents have a church by them in NJ with a similar logo. We almost drove off the road the one time they had a sign up noting it was Yom Kippur. As far as we know it's a super fundie conservative church (so maybe they liked borrowing a serious, repentant jewish holiday too?)

• Love 1

Yeah Churchie, that's the Laredo church. I was being a tad facetious. As in, "Where's Jeremy?" Oh wait, he's preaching at Daddy's church, or at the Sydney Opera House, Philly concert hall, or Carnegie Hall (Chuck humblebragged that in his 1/1 sermon). 

So Jeremy has given what, like two sermons in Laredo in the two months since he's been married? Nice track record there, dude.

Edited by Sew Sumi
I was not told that three posts preceded the one I was answering!
  • Love 4

In real time, or Duggar Time? Because there will certainly be an announcement on the 16th when the show comes back. I think that's a little bit too soon for Jinger, so....

Of course, the season is something like 10 weeks, so I wouldn't discount a Jinger announcement and, of course, the VSE of Jessa's birth to end the season sometime in what, April?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, questionfear said:

Dumb question: is the Grace Church thing a common fundie church name? My parents have a church by them in NJ with a similar logo. We almost drove off the road the one time they had a sign up noting it was Yom Kippur. As far as we know it's a super fundie conservative church (so maybe they liked borrowing a serious, repentant jewish holiday too?)

I think Grace has long been a very popular name for Protestant churches of many kinds, actually. It's such a key concept for Protestants and is one of the concepts that Protestants feel they embrace way more strongly than Catholics. So I think that's why it's been so much used. And generally the more fundie you are, the more you emphasize grace, I think.

There are some Protestant groups that are celebrating the Jewish holy days these days. Some of those churches are loosely affiliated, under the title "Messianic Jews," for example. There are others, too.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

And Texas Tech isn't even safe for liberals! MAYBE in the sector where my friend's husband works (it's artsy), but overall, they say that the college is pretty much a shit hole of bigotry. 

It is 99%  bigotry the area where he works at.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I think Grace has long been a very popular name for Protestant churches of many kinds, actually. It's such a key concept for Protestants and is one of the concepts that Protestants feel they embrace way more strongly than Catholics. So I think that's why it's been so much used. And generally the more fundie you are, the more you emphasize grace, I think.

There are some Protestant groups that are celebrating the Jewish holy days these days. Some of those churches are loosely affiliated, under the title "Messianic Jews," for example. There are others, too.

Ephesians 2:8-9. 

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

This verse is part of the core of  St. Paul's message and used by Martin Luther to repudiate the Catholic Church use of indulgences.  This was my confirmation bible verse.  I still find these simple verses very comforting.  I am a WELS Lutheran.  Not a fundie.  

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Love 5

The Laredo church looks like a trap house for drug dealers. All it needs is a few hookers on the corner and a pitbull staked out in the yard. There's no way Jeremy will be able to turn down Boob's newly renovated building once it's offered.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 15

According to YouTube, the deacon has done the last two sermons.  He was the original preacher and is the owner/founder of the church.  From the research I did previously, the Laredo church has existed in some form for awhile but merged up with the San Antonio church in the last few years.  That's when they sent Jeremy down to be the head pastor.  I would assume the deacon likes being fairly hands off, but doesn't mind stepping in to cover some Sunday's.  

I don't think it's a good sign for longevity if Jeremy doesn't come back regularly for a few more weeks.  He's used up the wedding & holiday excuses.  If he's not thinking of bailing ship, we should see him start headlining more Sunday's here shortly.  The church puts every Sunday service on YouTube so it's pretty easy to tell who preaches and who doesn't.

• Love 5

Did Jinge and Babe get their wedding on or in the actual People magazine?  They may be living off that money, plus TLC. I cannot imagine a tiny church like Jeremy's would pay much above a poverty wage.

• Love 5

How many people can that sad little church hold?

ETA - it looks like it was previously some kind of a failed fast food joint.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

The fuck do they need with a trampoline?

Plenty of churches have a kid's playground.  I guess  the trampoline is their playground. I think I see a safety net around it, at least.

• Love 2

I share my birthday with the miraculous, plate-licking, cotton-headed Ninny Muggins, Josie.....*sigh*  

On the other hand, December 10th is also Nobel Day, when the prizes are awarded to the most deserving.  All non-Duggers, of course.  

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I share my birthday with the miraculous, plate-licking, cotton-headed Ninny Muggins, Josie.....*sigh*  

On the other hand, December 10th is also Nobel Day, when the prizes are awarded to the most deserving.  All non-Duggers, of course.  

My dad was a mad genius and would lick his plate if something delicious was on it just to shock my snobby mother.

There are times Josie reminds me of Gollum, but most of the time, I feel really sorry for her.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, JoanArc said:

There's a free meal after the service, too. Poverty, no car, and desperation must put butts in the seats.

Which is an extra reason why I, as pastor, would want to give those folks some of what they were probably looking for when they hooked up with the San Antonio church -- a consistent pastor who shows concern for and solidarity with them by being there as much as possible and getting to know them well and really becoming a part of their community.

Honestly, the missing-Christmas thing wouldn't have phased me if he hadn't already missed at least half of November. (and, of course, the fact that I'm pretty sure he didn't really go to the East coast to see his family, since his parents are young and will still be around in early 2017 so he could visit, but to Film The TeeVee Show). In any case, I would assume that these folks are Latinos, and even though they're super-fundies now, I'd also assume that they probably like to meld some of their family-traditional stuff with their current faith, especially around holidays. Maybe they don't, but most people seem to and have seemed to throughout history or Christianity wouldn't have all this used-to-be-pagan stuff wound through it.

Anyway, since Jer is in a different culture as well as being head pastor, I feel as if he would want to be there to share in this and learn about it and introduce his new wife to the lives of this congregation that he cares about it in holiday time. Of course that's me, the immoral unethical worst-kind-of-person-in-the-universe atheist, not a super-conservative-super-Christian who knows best, of course.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, JoanArc said:

There's a free meal after the service, too. Poverty, no car, and desperation must put butts in the seats.

That sounds great, but I bet there is a lot of pestering and god-bothering of new churchgoers while they try to eat. I'd rather go hungry.

Edited by DangerousMinds
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, Saytura said:

According to YouTube, the deacon has done the last two sermons.  He was the original preacher and is the owner/founder of the church.  From the research I did previously, the Laredo church has existed in some form for awhile but merged up with the San Antonio church in the last few years.  That's when they sent Jeremy down to be the head pastor.  I would assume the deacon likes being fairly hands off, but doesn't mind stepping in to cover some Sunday's.  

I don't think it's a good sign for longevity if Jeremy doesn't come back regularly for a few more weeks.  He's used up the wedding & holiday excuses.  If he's not thinking of bailing ship, we should see him start headlining more Sunday's here shortly.  The church puts every Sunday service on YouTube so it's pretty easy to tell who preaches and who doesn't.

Thanks for taking one for the team. I don't have the stomach to go to the church's website, let alone listen to sermons. I tried to listen to Jeremy's NYD sermon at Pa Voulo's church, then tried to listen to Pa himself. I didn't get very far before I wanted to punch something. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Why do they think an hour long sermon is what they should do?  It's like they forget the real purpose of church.

Pa Vuolo has a whole bunch of these l-o-o-n-g-g sermons in the archives. So I think it must be something about wanting to hear themselves talk. ... And see others listen. ... My (perhaps unfair) sense of Jeremy as an athlete is that he wanted glory. So when that didn't work out, he looked to his father as role model and saw that there was another way to get people to stare in admiration and wonderment for an hour at a stretch. So now he's doing that.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
57 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I share my birthday with Jeffrey Dahmer, so I would actually be glad to trade for a Duggar. ??

I share my birthday with Freddie Mercury, I doubt the Duggars would approve that one :)  

Maybe Jeremy decided that it would be best to spend his and Jinger's first Christmas with his family so they wouldn't be inundated with 30+ more people to feed at his church for Christmas?  Apart from the fact that there probably wouldn't be room for all of them there, I don't think he would have wanted them, I know I wouldn't have.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

Maybe Jeremy decided that it would be best to spend his and Jinger's first Christmas with his family so they wouldn't be inundated with 30+ more people to feed at his church for Christmas?  Apart from the fact that there probably wouldn't be room for all of them there, I don't think he would have wanted them, I know I wouldn't have.  

God knows I wouldn't have wanted them, either. They are such graceless people that I think it would be trying to have just one or two around, but the whole mob would be a nightmare. I still remember one episode where they descended on the the mold house after some M baby was born and it must have been a nightmare for Anna. They weren't there to help, or to do anything useful -- it was just a crowd of filthy little girls, poorly behaved little boys, and doughy, uninterested teenage boys being a nusance while JB and J'chelle and the older daughters oohed and ahhed over the baby.

• Love 5

They descended on Jessa's house hours after Spurgeon was born as well. I suppose Jessa and Ben were actually at the hospital, though, so the Brown Towel Baby was basically just being passed around like a football at that point. I always wondered how long it took for a Duggar to get him to the hospital so he could eat (I have no clue how long transfusions take, or when she would be allowed to breastfeed). Anyone?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

They descended on Jessa's house hours after Spurgeon was born as well. I suppose Jessa and Ben were actually at the hospital, though, so the Brown Towel Baby was basically just being passed around like a football at that point. I always wondered how long it took for a Duggar to get him to the hospital so he could eat (I have no clue how long transfusions take, or when she would be allowed to breastfeed). Anyone?

I had to have a delay in feeding my daughter after I gave birth. Basically, after my daughter was born and they got all the vital measurements, they gave her to my husband. I then underwent surgery for two hours to stop my bleeding and stitch my grade IV tear up, while my husband held our daughter. My poor husband knew I wanted to try breastfeeding (if we had had any clue of what was to happen, I would have told him to do whatever the medical providers had recommended so she could eat without waiting for me)  so while I was in surgery and the nurses tried to bring him formula to feed her, he held firm for me. I was in surgery for over two hours and came back and promptly tried breastfeeding. I had a blood transfusion the next day. I never did produce enough milk and had to supplement from the beginning. I don't know if that was due to how I was made up or just the circumstances of the birth.

• Love 3

Jessa's been seen on the show with poor Spurge under the Blanket of Doom, on top of that wretched Breast Friend (it's been spotted on her couch several times), so she apparently succeeded in her attempts to breastfeed. I suppose she got her transfusion right away, so maybe there wasn't much of a delay...AFTER they finally got the baby to the hospital, that is. They certainly made a big show of him being passed around at the Mold House, so there was a delay of some sort. 

Back on topic, I doubt we'll hear/see anything from the Vuolos until the season debut on the 16th. 

Grr, don't know why it's bugging me so much but I hate that TLC commercial where Jinger is saying something like "moving out of the house.... getting married.... it's gonna be so different!"  From what exactly, Jinge?  You're moving from one house to another and doing the same thing you've been doing... and if it is different, you may not exactly like the change.  Their lives never change! It just moves from one setting to another, but they remain isolated in their own world where they play the same role! 

• Love 4

IF Jeremy stays the pastor of Laredo church, instead of pastor of whatever church thingy it looks like Jim-Bob is building, her life should change quite a bit. Being a pastor's wife, even in a small church, is a lot different than being a sister-wife. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Jinger sounds dumb as a rock, or like a 10 year old. 

Maybe because most 10 years olds are anticipating 6th grade, which usually means a new school, switching classrooms for different subjects, new friends and other new and different things. Jinger on the other hand has been doing the same exact thing for 20+ years.

• Love 7

I only watched the part where Jeremy stood in front of the books and said that his videos are not a substitute of going to real church every week.  I wanted to see what he was saying while in front of books.  Books & Duggars kinda caught my attention, ya know? 

The topic was something about fellowship and kindness to church members so that one seemed pretty benign. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Marigold said:

I only watched the part where Jeremy stood in front of the books and said that his videos are not a substitute of going to real church every week.  I wanted to see what he was saying while in front of books.  Books & Duggars kinda caught my attention, ya know? 

The topic was something about fellowship and kindness to church members so that one seemed pretty benign. 

Fundy preachers (some of them, or at least the one I saw preach) take seemingly benign topics and somehow morph them into fire and brimstone with red faced screaming, pounding their bible on the pulpit and calling everyone in the congregation a hypocrite...

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Fundy preachers (some of them, or at least the one I saw preach) take seemingly benign topics and somehow morph them into fire and brimstone with red faced screaming, pounding their bible on the pulpit and calling everyone in the congregation a hypocrite...

I have watched Jeremy a few times and he has always been very calm and speaks with a Mr. Rogers tone.  Never heard him yell or scream so far. 

I think Jeremy is pretty strict in his views but he, at least, presents things in a calm way.  I think Jeremy is working on that "mercy and grace" angle.  That's an improvement for the Duggs.   

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Marigold said:

I have watched Jeremy a few times and he has always been very calm and speaks with a Mr. Rogers tone.  Never heard him yell or scream so far. 

I think Jeremy is pretty strict in his views but he, at least, presents things in a calm way.  I think Jeremy is working on that "mercy and grace" angle.  That's an improvement for the Duggs.   

Yes, that's definitely an improvement on many levels.

• Love 1