Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Work That Body for Me

• Start Topic

A lot to digest. A few thoughts:

Tucky broke my heart YET AGAIN with her reaction to scumbag's (I forgot his name but this works) presence in the mess hall. 

I literally said "Damn, Tank Girl!" out loud. 

I can't wait to find out what Maureen did. Crazy Eyes thinking someone else is certifiable is amazing. 

I guess I'll hold out judgement on Jefe Piper. 

• Love 4

This season is off to a promising start!! I love the pairing of Voss and Lolly, they're hilarious together! Also hoping that Pennsatucky gets some sort of long-lasting revenge against He Who Doesn't Deserve a Name, because every time she averts her eyes from his menacing stare or she tries to passively-aggressively insult him for what he did, my heart goes out to her. Less Piper so far is a good thing for me, but I like the direction that things seem to be headed in - that some of the new prisoners may end up pledging allegiance to her as a prison don!

• Love 9
(edited)

Ok season premiere. I forgot a bit about what happened in season 3, so it took a while to remember why Alex was being strangled, who was with Suzanne, and Tucky's reaction to the attempted rapist guard in the cafeteria (not that I forgot that storyline, but I forgot who the guy was).

I like new guard, Piscatella (with an S). He's kind of a hardass, but also not a dick about it. It looks like there could be something starting with him and Red (maybe I'm reading too much into it?). All I can say is, as long as it's not Healy, I'm happy. And Judy King and Luschek? Heh. 

What did Maureen do to get into prison? She seems sweet but totally crazy, but I don't think she killed anyone. But hell, Suzanne thinks she's insane, which is hilarious.

After three seasons of me not caring about Alex, I finally care about Alex. More so than Piper, who I'm not that interested in as being a Jefa, but she looks like she got a target put on her by Flaca. Alex and Lolly as a team up? I never thought about it before, but they work off of each other well.

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 5

Can Piper get any worse? She's probably my least favorite character. Anytime the show goes to her or one of her storylines- she's ganstA! everyone, ugh- I'm like, I kind of want to fast forward to get to someone else but someone else might drop into this scene. Even Alex's storyline is a hell of a lot better than Piper, her storyline is quite good and it's only episode 1 of this season.

Oh, Crazy Eyes thought she found someone and then she realized there may be a line to the crazy.

I feel like this season might be a dark one, which makes me sad as last season ended on such a fun note, but I suppose that's the point.

Off to episode 2 now.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I like new guard, Piscatella (with an S).

I like him too.  I really loved the actor in Sherrybaby, the movie with Maggie Gyllenhaal. 

I have to say that I did not like this episode as much as I liked the first episode of last season.  I have high hopes for the season though.

12 hours ago, Mya Stone said:

I guess I'll hold out judgement on Jefe Piper. 

You are more charitable than I. I can't take her seriously. I just can't. I mean, I know what she's done and all that, but really, all I get out of her is "poser." And if you have to talk about how gangsta you are, I don't really think you're all that gangsta. But that may all be based on my Piper hate.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I think I rewound the part with Morello telling the other ladies about her former lover who stuck his shoe in her at least 10 times. Her nonchalance and assurance that it wasn't the shoe on his foot just killed me. 

I had so many questions about that. Questions that I didn't want to have, but that just instantly came to mind. Like, was this a shoe that he had ever used to walk around? Did he clean it before using it in her vag? Did he wear the other shoe during sex? Was it the left or the right shoe? I don't know why I have these questions, I just do.

So over all of the storylines to do with Piper. I'm afraid my eyes will roll out of my head every time she is on screen.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, Maysie said:

You are more charitable than I. I can't take her seriously. I just can't. I mean, I know what she's done and all that, but really, all I get out of her is "poser." And if you have to talk about how gangsta you are, I don't really think you're all that gangsta. But that may all be based on my Piper hate.

That was my thought exactly.  I feel like that line would have actually been really funny if Piper and Boo (or one of the other mostly comic relief characters) were shooting the shit and Piper said it sarcastically, but the way it was presented  the whole story line just makes Piper annoying and absurdly out of touch with reality.  It's honestly a shame because the first two seasons were about Piper being dragged out of her privileged comfort zone, and her character development was actually interesting.  Now Piper just feels like a lame joke.

Also I agree with everyone else about liking Alex's story line.  Its dark and there is tension but at the same time the actual conflict is kinda ridiculous, which is refreshing.  I feel like the show tends to use real world issues to create drama, whether its private prisons, racism, transgender rights, or Doggett's rape.  Don't get me wrong, those issues are important and its good to have the show address some of them, but sometimes the writers overload the story lines with issues to point where some end up feeling forced.

• Love 7

One question I had - the guard that was actually the hit man: it was weird that nobody said anything about him being missing.  He did say in the recap "they'll hire anybody here", so I'm assuming that he was a real employee, but even after everything was over, I don't recall anyone saying "hey, are we one guard short?" or anything.

I haven't seen all the episodes yet, so I don't know if it does come up, but it was weird that he was never acknowledged by any of the prison staff.

• Love 3

Not on board at all with the Piscatella love. I've worked with enough LEOs like him that are clearly only in the job for the abusive power trip that I don't find his brand of asshole remotely amusing.

"We've all eaten lead; that's probably why half of us are in here." I almost choked on my drink at that one.

It's going to be deeply amusing watching Piper get smacked down.

• Love 23
3 hours ago, Ringthane said:

One question I had - the guard that was actually the hit man: it was weird that nobody said anything about him being missing.  He did say in the recap "they'll hire anybody here", so I'm assuming that he was a real employee, but even after everything was over, I don't recall anyone saying "hey, are we one guard short?" or anything.

I haven't seen all the episodes yet, so I don't know if it does come up, but it was weird that he was never acknowledged by any of the prison staff.

Most of the guards walked out just ahead of the prison-swim-break. The remaining staff will just assume that he was one of the guards that quit.

• Love 4

I was just puzzled about why Alex and Lolly had all that time to cut up and dispose of a body without anybody wondering where they were.  I mean, they are in prison..isn't their time regimented? Don't they have jobs? Or do they work in the greenhouse with that other  woman? I've forgotten from last season. I don't remember why Alex was in the greenhouse when she was attacked. If that's her job, it makes a little more sense. Still, I would think there would be some supervision. 

True, there is total chaos at Litchfield right now, which gave them a perfect opportunity, but they seemed to be awfully confident of not getting caught disposing of a body in full daylight. Not to mention strolling back to their quarters covered in blood, which they both were.

I think they hired a bunch of raw guards because of the walkout, which is how the hitman got hired, and nobody knows anybody at the moment, so it will take some time for him to be missed. But I'm sure by next episode, somebody will notice. 

• Love 2

I take it Piper is meant to come off as delusional and out of touch? I was going to be ok with her storyline if it's her walking around thinking she's some badass gangster bitch while nobody else takes her seriously, but if the new inmates actually treat her like a boss then I won't enjoy watching it.

Alex had the most interesting episode. The guy not being dead when she went back was creepy. I cringed at the body mutilation, but I like the greenhouse lady (can't remember the character's name). Not sure if Papa Roach was the right song choice there, however.

Poussay is adorable. Excited to see screentime for her and Soso.

• Love 4

I think the new inmates will believe for some time that Piper's a boss, but they'll find soon she isn't and there will be some nasty consequences for her (which was Flaca's intention, imo). . Otoh, Piper has a ruthless streak, so I wouldn't bet all my money against her.

The moment I saw Healy I thought he and Judy King could have awesome scenes together. She's the kind of person who could manipulate him with her little finger. I already like her.

Loved Vause and Lolly together, heh.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

For some reason Lori Petty really reminded me of Eminem when she was talking to Alex in the shed. Is it just me?

I get a Michael Rapaport vibe from her.  Definitely interesting. 

• Love 1

Piscatella was also on Justified, as one of the Bennett boys.

Count me in as someone who can't wait for Piper's fall.    Between Frieda and Lolly, that garden shed scene was gold. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, AlliMo said:

Not on board at all with the Piscatella love. I've worked with enough LEOs like him that are clearly only in the job for the abusive power trip that I don't find his brand of asshole remotely amusing.

"We've all eaten lead; that's probably why half of us are in here." I almost choked on my drink at that one.

It's going to be deeply amusing watching Piper get smacked down.

I don't like Piscatella at all....there are some surprises about him, but they don't make me like him any better.  It just makes me think that Piscatella is one of those guys who has been turned away from the police academy, from the FBI, from the TSA, from the border patrol and any other government agency so he was forced to get a job as a prison guard at a private prison where no one did any psychological testing.

• Love 17
6 hours ago, AlliMo said:

I love the actor, I'm withholding judgment on the character - who does seem to lean toward getting his thrills from dominating at this point. Right now I find him scary, but not yet horrible.

3 hours ago, jade.black said:

I take it Piper is meant to come off as delusional and out of touch? I was going to be ok with her storyline if it's her walking around thinking she's some badass gangster bitch while nobody else takes her seriously, but if the new inmates actually treat her like a boss then I won't enjoy watching it.

My take is that Piper is now in the "be careful what you wish for" category - the three teardrop new inmate has definitely got her on the radar as someone to take down. Which I think I would very much enjoy watching, as she's the character I like least.

I always forget between seasons just how much I love this show. I'm looking forward to scenes with Red and Blair Brown - two very alpha ladies with very different styles.

• Love 6

I understand that burying small pieces might be easier than one whole body but hell wouldn't cutting up a body and dealing with all the blood be much worse than digging a bigger hole? I don't think I quite agree with the murder math. 

Healy is so hilarious. He walks around with these new age necklaces, drinking Jamba Juice like he's some kind of changed free loving laid back guy. And then he gets on the job and he's the same persnickety, sensitive, racist/sexist guy as always. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Jodithgrace said:

I was just puzzled about why Alex and Lolly had all that time to cut up and dispose of a body without anybody wondering where they were.  I mean, they are in prison..isn't their time regimented? Don't they have jobs? Or do they work in the greenhouse with that other  woman? I've forgotten from last season. I don't remember why Alex was in the greenhouse when she was attacked. If that's her job, it makes a little more sense. Still, I would think there would be some supervision. 

True, there is total chaos at Litchfield right now, which gave them a perfect opportunity, but they seemed to be awfully confident of not getting caught disposing of a body in full daylight. Not to mention strolling back to their quarters covered in blood, which they both were.

One of my major problems with this scene was all that blood on them. They took care to clean up the shed but I don't understand how three different uniforms basically covered in blood are going to escape notice by anyone. I guess that will come up next episode, but I can't understand how they explain that away without someone being seriously injured. Are they going to bury their uniforms? And replace them with what? And if they get some inside help, then the three of them owe someone big time. I agree that Alex's story suddenly became more interesting, but the dismemberment and burial became a stretch. That would take hours to complete (although those were some pretty shallow burial spots). I am waiting for people to comment on how delicious the tomatoes are this year!

8 hours ago, AmandaPanda said:

I had so many questions about that. Questions that I didn't want to have, but that just instantly came to mind. Like, was this a shoe that he had ever used to walk around? Did he clean it before using it in her vag? Did he wear the other shoe during sex? Was it the left or the right shoe? I don't know why I have these questions, I just do.

God, I'd put the shoes and the vag thing out of my mind. I was watching that and thinking wtf - I mean, that's just . . . I don't even know how that's possible. I know that's the birth canal and all that, but still. And forget about the visual image. And knowing Morello it's probably a high heel (but I imagine she couldn't afford something "classy," like a Manolo or Choo!)

1 hour ago, Helena Dax said:

I think the new inmates will believe for some time that Piper's a boss, but they'll find soon she isn't and there will be some nasty consequences for her (which was Flaca's intention, imo). . Otoh, Piper has a ruthless streak, so I wouldn't bet all my money against her.

I agree with this. In addition to being ruthless, Piper is smart and a creative thinker. However, I get the sense that she often thinks she's the smartest girl in the room (which is probably a result of her privileged upbringing) which means she can underestimate the people she's up against. I am enduring this storyline only in the hopes that she gets an epic smackdown. I don't want her dead or anything, but I would like to see her humbled a bit and that hasn't really happened yet. In fact, she's become emboldened, which I suppose is some sort of statement on the corrections system.

• Love 2

Its been way too long, ladies! I missed you! 

I am really interested in where this season is going to go, as it seems to be taking a darker turn than last season, which I think could be a good thing. Not that last year was all sunshine and kisses, but it seemed to take a lot of turns towards the "wacky" and some of the backstories were a little on the random side, leading to some serious pacing issues. This season seems promising though.

I really do not like the turn Piper has taken. This might be unpopular, but I used to like Piper. She was frequently annoying, but she seemed like an actual person, who basically meant well. Now she is just a cartoon character, who has seemingly lost track of all reality, even moreso than everyone else. Well, I will see where it goes. 

1 hour ago, clanstarling said:

I'm looking forward to scenes with Red and Blair Brown

Same here! I really like Blair Brown on this show, and I really forgot how much I love Red. In fact, I always forget how much I like all these characters until I find this show again every summer. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I think I rewound the part with Morello telling the other ladies about her former lover who stuck his shoe in her at least 10 times. Her nonchalance and assurance that it wasn't the shoe on his foot just killed me. 

For me, she is the saddest character. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jodithgrace said:

I saw that they did that. But I also saw that they had blood on their uniforms. 

I noticed that too, and thought the same thing! Their legs were covered in blood.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, leighdear said:

I'm pretty sure that in the dismemberment scenes, all 3 ladies had their uniforms covered with gigantic trash bags.  The Lawn & Leaf size would fit neatly. 

Yes, they did. However, the bags only covered their tops and if I remember correctly, their pant legs were bloody. And I'm sure their shoes are too, though I don't know what kind of shoes they're wearing, meaning they may be easy to wash (such as rubber boots vs. tennis shoes).

I have to say, I really felt for Alex having to kill off her would-be killer. And at first I was wondering why they didn't just tell the guards what happened (because it was a pretty cut and dried situation), but oddly enough, after time passed, I kind of understood why they did what they did. Who's going to believe either one of the women, particularly after killing a guard? And Alex would have really become a target. So the coverup made sense after I thought about it a while.

Edited to add: Alex had a mark on her throat from the belt, but it seemed to fade pretty quickly - no trace of it the next morning.

Edited by Maysie
2 hours ago, Maysie said:

Yes, they did. However, the bags only covered their tops and if I remember correctly, their pant legs were bloody. And I'm sure their shoes are too, though I don't know what kind of shoes they're wearing, meaning they may be easy to wash (such as rubber boots vs. tennis shoes).

I was just about to mention that - they definitely had blood on their clothes.  And not just a spot or two, but enough to be noticeable.

7 hours ago, Maysie said:

God, I'd put the shoes and the vag thing out of my mind. I was watching that and thinking wtf - I mean, that's just . . . I don't even know how that's possible. I know that's the birth canal and all that, but still. And forget about the visual image. And knowing Morello it's probably a high heel (but I imagine she couldn't afford something "classy," like a Manolo or Choo!)

She said that it was a loafer. Just how...how does it fit?

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I really do not like the turn Piper has taken. This might be unpopular, but I used to like Piper. She was frequently annoying, but she seemed like an actual person, who basically meant well. Now she is just a cartoon character, who has seemingly lost track of all reality, even moreso than everyone else. Well, I will see where it goes. 

She was never my favorite character, but I used to find her at least somewhat interesting. She also just seems increasingly isolated from everyone else. When she was interacting more with the other characters, I could get on board with her, but now, I just don't know what the writers are going for with her.

42 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

Not that I know anything (I swear I don't - never heard of such a thing until this episode) - but some loafers are soft and foldable. But OMG, yuck!

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

She was never my favorite character, but I used to find her at least somewhat interesting. She also just seems increasingly isolated from everyone else. When she was interacting more with the other characters, I could get on board with her, but now, I just don't know what the writers are going for with her.

I'm not sure whether to blame the writers for the turn Piper has taken or blame the actress for nit being able to pull it off

36 minutes ago, clanstarling said:

Not that I know anything (I swear I don't - never heard of such a thing until this episode) - but some loafers are soft and foldable. But OMG, yuck!

Perhaps Morello isn't as "tight" as she'd like to think?

Have we ever seen what Poussey did to land in prison? I know we saw her backstory, but I don't recall a crime being part of it - just a sad youth where she got into trouble when she got caught with the general's daughter.

1 hour ago, knaankos said:

I'm not sure whether to blame the writers for the turn Piper has taken or blame the actress for nit being able to pull it off

Honestly I don't even know what the writers are going for.  If they are going for deluded then Taylor Schilling is pulling it off fine.  Also she was nominated for an Emmy for season 2, so I think she has the acting ability to perform whatever they want.  Maybe the episode's director didn't understand what the writers were going for?

50 minutes ago, Pixel said:

Perhaps Morello isn't as "tight" as she'd like to think?

Have we ever seen what Poussey did to land in prison? I know we saw her backstory, but I don't recall a crime being part of it - just a sad youth where she got into trouble when she got caught with the general's daughter.

If I am remembering right, they never showed her commit a crime but she was going to pull a gun on the general, so I assumed she acted out similarly later in life and got arrested.

Yay, so glad this show is back!

As much as I dislike this puffed up version of Piper where she thinks she's a total badass, at least she isn't pretending to be nice anymore. I dislike both versions of Piper but as put on as her gangsta persona is, the part where she thinks she's hot shit and better than everyone else is truer than her previous "but I'm a nice person" act.

Man, when Crazy Eyes thinks someone is crazy, you know there is a problem! But girl, don't lick lead based paint a second time!

Lorna's shoe story had me cringing and then asking myself practical questions about the logistics and the cleanliness and just WHY?

Luschek is still on my shit list for getting Nicky sent down to max, but he totally cracked me up in this episode. Between farting in the cookie tupperware, telling Caputo that he couldn't make the printer print any faster (which, to be fair, is true), and then just hanging out with Judy King, he was the petty slacker that I've come to expect.

I was surprised that Lolly's first instinct was to save Alex. Heh and I love that after she attacked the guard, she casually told Alex that everyone was going down to the lake.

Although I totally understand why everyone ran down to the lake to take advantage of the situation, I cracked up over why Chang didn't go. Aside from possibly being exposed to toxic chemicals, taking a long hot shower without anyone around seemed like a pretty good alternative.

• Love 9
15 hours ago, superman1204 said:

Honestly I don't even know what the writers are going for.  If they are going for deluded then Taylor Schilling is pulling it off fine.  Also she was nominated for an Emmy for season 2, so I think she has the acting ability to perform whatever they want.  Maybe the episode's director didn't understand what the writers were going for?

If I am remembering right, they never showed her commit a crime but she was going to pull a gun on the general, so I assumed she acted out similarly later in life and got arrested.

I think it was implied during that episode that Poussey was in jail for drugs.  If I'm remembering correctly.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, superman1204 said:

It was never shown but mentioned in a later episode in this season that she was charged with possession of marijuana with an intent to sell.

• Love 1
On ‎2016‎-‎06‎-‎18 at 0:00 PM, knaankos said:

I understand that burying small pieces might be easier than one whole body but hell wouldn't cutting up a body and dealing with all the blood be much worse than digging a bigger hole? I don't think I quite agree with the murder math. 

What I don't get is what happens when vegetables have all been harvested and it is time to dig up the garden and plant new crops?

• Love 2

Was that Maria dozing off at the serving station in the cafeteria when it was just Suzanne and a couple of Correctional Officers in there at 4:30 AM?

Morello both amuses and saddens me. Speaking of which, I wonder if we ever find out whether her husband merely injured or actually killed Christopher?

I think Lolly and Alex could be an interesting duo, though I was surprised that Kubra didn't actually try to call "Aiden," to verify that it was actually him sending those texts, when we know it was Alex.

I wonder if Gina will play a bigger role this season than she has in the past, given that she was the first main inmate (apart from Piper) to get airtime tonight?

I loved Boo's Mandala (spelling?) comment to Yoga, as it brought back season 1 flashbacks.

• Love 1

Regarding Kubra not calling Aiden - based on my hobby of trial watching and investigative journalism shows like Dateline, etc., I know that the phone calls can be tracked and are logged by the carriers, but many of the text messaging services cannot, unless you know the password for that app.

So, if one of those two had their phone records subpoenaed, a phone call would show and if they texted through the regular carrier, it would show a text went from one phone number to the other but not the actual text (usually), and if they used a third party application, there may not be any record of the message at all. Criminals use all kinds of apps to not get their info tracked. 

Useless information for us non-criminals and non-adulterers that I now know from watching criminals on television. Also, people think that they can get logs of text and phone records forever, but the carriers don't keep them that long. Most are only about 60 days, it seems. 

• Love 4
On 6/18/2016 at 0:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

Same here! I really like Blair Brown on this show, and I really forgot how much I love Red. In fact, I always forget how much I like all these characters until I find this show again every summer. 

That's how I feel for all the ladies except Piper, I haven't been able to stand her since Season 2. I love how Loly was asking Voss about her friend Hole, Tube...

• Love 4