Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: No One

• Start Topic

(edited)

Does anyone else think Jaime will ultimately betray Cersei? After his words tonight to Edmure about his enduring love for her I do wonder if it will reach a point where he realises he has to turn on or even sacrifice her for the greater good. The show keeps reminding us that he does have light and shade rather than just making him an outright villain which leaves room for him to make a U-turn. 

NB - This is nothing but a guess! I haven't read the books so it may just be hopeful thinking. 

Edited by Save Yourself
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Save Yourself said:

Does anyone else think Jaime will ultimately betray Cersei? After his words tonight to Edmure about his enduring love for her I do wonder if it will reach a point where he realises he has to turn on or even sacrifice her for the greater good. The show keeps reminding us that he does have light and shade rather than just making him an outright villain which leaves room for him to make a U-turn. 

NB - This is nothing but a guess! I haven't read the books so it may just be hopeful thinking. 

i hope it will not be some tragic act that will cause it....like cersei having brienne killed........i like the weird love fest between brienne and jamie......as well as brienne's and the wildling's flirting......everybody loves brienne, lol......except star wars who never even bothered to show her god damn face.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

It was scary how easily Jaime flipped between his honorable, respectful discussion with Brienne, to his "I will so kill your baby!" scene with Edmure. He really is a crazy, obsessive, sisterfucker, who would do whatever it takes to "protect" Cersei.

I think Jaime was also shitting a brick over potentially losing Brienne in the battle that would result from not scaring Edmure into yielding the castle.  She had already been very clear that if a fight happened honor would compel her to fight against Jaime, and he sincerely hoped it wouldn't come to that.  On a related note, I couldn't quite understand why Bronn was so certain that Jaime would 'fook' Brienne.  Jaime has only 'fooked' one woman in his life. 

*In other news, I'm signing up for The Hound's new self-help webinar, "How To Not Be Shit At Dying."

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It's been canon since S1.E1 without any explanation of how or when it began.

Thanks - yeah like I know the iconic "The things I do for love." but it wouldn't surprise me if i had missed a scene or something of why Jamie <3 Cersei. I tend to lose a lot of stuff in this show ;)

24 minutes ago, lovebug1975 said:

creeper love is deeper love.  that is canon for this show.

bwaahahahaa

7 minutes ago, Popples said:

One of the funniest things I saw on twitter last night said something like "Dany looked like when your mother comes home early, and you haven't done any of your chores."

I think it started when they were children. In season one when Ned confronted Cersei about the paternity of her children, she said something like "Jaime and I shared a womb together, we belong together." That's from her point of view, but if this season is indicative of anything, it shows Jaime will and has done anything and everything for Cersei. Why though, I'll never understand.

That really was a "the fook?" on Dany's face. 

And I suppose that makes sense.  and I suppose as well there's some Targ. in there as well (in the sense of - no one is better than them, in smarts (BAHAHA), intelligence (BAHHAHA), and all of that so just. keep it with the family. I'm sure there is some "love" in there. i guess, just a scene of "why." would be nice. like i get why Brienne + Jamie makes sense... but thanks guys :)

(edited)
55 minutes ago, Save Yourself said:

The only way I can see Jaime betray Cersei is if Cersei tries to kill Tommen and Jaime has to choose between his lover or his son

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 6
41 minutes ago, dangwoodchucks said:

And ffs, release the other two dragons Mother of the Year!

Hrm... didn't Tyrion already release them?  Or are they unchained but still locked up?

• Love 2
8 hours ago, truelovekiss said:

The theme of this season really has been giving a middle finger to organized religion, huh? This season they showed Arya that the many faced god is essentially just hired hitmen who have weird rules about pronouns and then there was this whole debacle with the High Sparrow and the way they used Tommen to take over.  Then there was Melisandre resurrecting Jon, but after her old visions or predictions or whatever from the lord if light failed, but only after she had an innocent little girl burned alive. And other red women from the lord if light are preaching to people in Mereen, pushing Daenerys' message. I don't know, maybe it's me, but I think they have really been pushing the corruptness of religion this season. The only positive depiction of gods throughout the show has been the old gods in the North.  The Northerners just kind if go and pray at the tree and leave it at that.

So I've been watching a lot of documentaries about the court of Henry VIII and I can't help but think that it was the inspiration for some of this.  At least partially, I mean Henry VIII pretty much created a new religion and made himself the head of it.  But the idea that the church and the crown are intertwined and united was something that Henry VIII believed for a long, long time (until he decided he REALLY needed a son, and his current wife wasn't gonna get the job done).  The the king would ultimately become the "head" of the church just reminds me so much of Henry VIII.  Of course, that there is so much fighting and powerbrokering over religion also reminds me of that time period.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

The only way I can see Jaime betray Cersei is if Cersei try to kill Tommen and Jaime has to choose between his lover or his son

This.  We already know Cersei would rather kill her children then let them fall into the hands of her enemies.

At this point I wouldn't mind Tommen getting the nightshade.  He has to know that trial by combat was his mother's only chance at a favorable verdict.

Spoiler

got-game-of-thrones-30983945-245-245.gif

When you marched into the throne room to tell me we'd won the Battle at Blackwater, do you remember?! I was sitting on the iron throne with Tommen. I was about to give him essence of nightshade, that's how far I was willing to go when I thought someone awful had come to take my son away. Someone awful is coming to take him away. Joffrey is dead. Myrcella's been sold like livestock. And now you want to ship me off to Highgarden and steal my boy, my last boy. Margaery will dig her claws in and you will dig your claws in and you will fight over him like beasts until you rip him apart. I will burn our house to the ground before I let that happen.  (Cersei to Tywin, Season 4)

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Knuckles said:

Surrendering did cost them Riverrun. Edmure has no value now as a hostage, so Walder Frey has no reason to keep him alive. There is no evidence that a baby actually exists or that Roslyn gave birth...just Jaime blowing smoke. The look on the face of the soldier who insisted on following Edmure's orders as Lord of Riverrun when he realized Edmure was surrendering told you everything...The Tully garrison at the castle is now under the jackboots of the Freys, as are all the farms and villages that make up Rivverun's estates...the Frey armies will get paid by looting those farms and villages, as is medieval tradition.

Edmure  took the deal, and every Tully soldier and peasant will pay the price. Edmure is a dead man either way. 

Yes, Edmure was a dead man either way. So was the Blackfish. It didn't cost them Riverrun because they weren't going to keep it anyway. The Blackfish just welcomed an attack because he wanted to die fighting, he was confident about outlasting them if they tried to starve him out, not about winning if Jaime threw everything he had at them. Jaime said every soldier inside the castle would be killed and Brynden said more of Jaime's men would die. That's not the same as saying they would lose, Jaime could afford to lose more men. Brynden never denied that all his men would die, he pretty much admitted he didn't care, the important thing was just taking as many Frey and Lannister soldiers down with him as he could. What sign was there that Brynden had the upper hand, so to speak, against Jaime before Edmure surrendered?

As for the baby, Jaime clearly didn't come up with that since Edmure already knew and believed it, he should have had some reaction if he didn't. I suppose Walder Frey could have made it up to play games with Edmure but that's not really the point. My point is that the Blackfish and all his men would have died. Jaime was trying to end the siege bloodlessly to avoid fighting Brienne and to get it over with, not because the Blackfish would have won if not for trickery.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

The only way I can see Jaime betray Cersei is if Cersei tries to kill Tommen and Jaime has to choose between his lover or his son

Yes, perhaps if Cersei's big plan is to raze KL by wildfire and she is willing to sacrifice Tommen to do so (since she already seems to have given up on him due to the prophecy), Jaime might overrule her. And then he can join Brienne and the Starks! ?

9 hours ago, truelovekiss said:

Speaking of Cers, I hate to support her in anything, ever...but damn I have to say I pick her over hypocritical, overzealous religious lunatics. And it just makes me hate the High Sparrow and Co. even more for making me side with her.

I can never side with Cersei ... if it were her vs. the Night King for the survival of humanity, I would side with Team Ice Zombies.

Like many others on this thread, I was skeptical about Arya's healing powers, then I remembered this show features resurrections, dragons, magic, characters hundreds of years old and, of course, ice zombies. So, quick healing became a small nit to pick.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, BigBeagle said:

I can never side with Cersei ... if it were her vs. the Night King for the survival of humanity, I would side with Team Ice Zombies.

I would also side with ice zombies in that event, because letting Cersei be the one who saved the human race would give her too much satisfaction. But I just can't with the high sparrow and his squad of Lancels.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, paigow said:

In the interval between putting the waif face on the wall and Jaquen discovering it, Arya found a magic cure that repaired her broken stitches and included the non-drowsy version of "Milk of the Oxy" because she walked out like nothing happened.

9 hours ago, rozen said:

Hm, Jamie admired Catelyn because of her love for her children, which was like Ceresei's. Their love is a redeeming trait, that everyone acknowledges, even their enemies. Maybe Jamie's trying to make a moral center out of matching that filial love with Cersei. Of course, it will fail because Ceresei does not want the best for him, which is a key ingredient of mothers. Deep down he knows it, which is why he won't touch Oathkeeper now. 

Tobias Menzies is a great actor. It's hard to reconcile all the characters he brings to life between this show and Outlander. So good. 

I am a mother who loves her children and I am so sick of motherly love being the ultimate forgiveness for all sins.  Cate's motherly love made her make stupid decisions, like letting Jamie go, because he believed in his "honor" to return her daughters.  Cersei looks at her children as narcissistic extensions of her own self. She gladly put Tommen's rule in danger so she would not be replaced by a younger more beautiful queen.  She also took good qualities in her children to be a reflection of herself.  Her daughter being nice meant Cersei is nice, no, it means Cesei is horrible and her daughter is that way despite her mother's vile personality.

9 hours ago, Dobian said:

Arya sure runs pretty good for someone with a bunch of stab wounds in their gut.  Glad the whole Faceless plotline is finally over.  I was sick of the Waif-1000 with the liquid metal face stalking Arya all over the city.

3 hours ago, Save Yourself said:

I'm so disappointed that Ayra really was that stupid last week and that it wasn't all just a trap that she was laying. That was such bullshit that she survived those wounds and all that blood loss so easily - what, it was a day and she was good to race around and leap off bridges?! I had such faith in the show that they were going to give Ayra's time in Braavos a great payoff and IMO, this has been a massive fail. We didn't even get to see how she defeated The Waif. It was such a bad sequence, both girls seemed to have been blessed with superpowers with the long and high jumps and bouncing back up with no injuries, I kept excepting The Six Million Dollar Man music to play! And as others have said, The Waif was apparently The Terminator. Anyway, I'm glad Ayra is finally out of there, hopefully she'll get a decent storyline now.

Going blind must have granted Arya Wolverine's healing powers and Adamantium skeleton.  She is immune to dagger strikes and infection, to the point where she is sword fighting and jumping off roofs a couple days later.  She is unbreakable and nothing can break her bones.  At this point I am wondering if she is going to be showing off a nifty new set of "claws", as this is the only way to explain her recovery and victory.

Oh well...at least we are out of Bravos.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, Lady S. said:

What sign was there that Brynden had the upper hand, so to speak, against Jaime before Edmure surrendered?

The Blackfish had two years or food on hand...he could outlast a siege. Plenty of sieges failed...disease begins to run thru siege camps...especially what was known as the "bloody flux"...highly contagious intestinal disease. The poster above mentioned Henry V111, one of his efforts in France collapsed, despite superior numbers and arms as his army was ravaged with disease. And time was on the Blackfish's side...the situation in KL is so unstable with the Sparrows and Cersie's trial, that Jaime himself would not stay 2 years to take the castle. The Blackfish taunted him about the time factor. 

There is no evidence that any baby exists...Edmure is clearly shocked when Jaime lays that on him...and a weak and physically weakened man chose to buy Jamie's lies, and knew they were lies as he did so. He sold out his uncle, his uncle's men and all the peasants who depend on the Tullys. They will find no mercy from the Freys. That is the cost of surrender.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Knuckles said:

The Blackfish had two years or food on hand...he could outlast a siege. Plenty of sieges failed...disease begins to run thru siege camps...especially what was known as the "bloody flux"...highly contagious intestinal disease. The poster above mentioned Henry V111, one of his efforts in France collapsed, despite superior numbers and arms as his army was ravaged with disease. And time was on the Blackfish's side...the situation in KL is so unstable with the Sparrows and Cersie's trial, that Jaime himself would not stay 2 years to take the castle. The Blackfish taunted him about the time factor. 

That's what I said, they could withstand a prolonged siege, which Jaime was never going to do. The other option was storming the castle, which the Blackfish welcomed for a chance to go down fighting. I am aware that is not how most castles were taken in our world but that has not bearing on how it's done in GoT. Brynden never gave any indication that he thought Jaime couldn't take the castle by force, nor did Jaime. If Brynden was confident he could hold the castle if it came to battle, he should have said so to Brienne in their first scene, because that would make it very stupid to give up Riverrun for the chance of Winterfell. When Brienne says he can't withstand the Lannister/Frey forces, he says they can withstand longer than Jaime thinks. That is not the same as saying they would ultimately win. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

A man looked rather pleased with how that turned out.

And your weekly dose of gore courtesy of the Clegane brothers!

Dany: "I got the Dothraki army. What the hell have you idiots been up to?"

Maybe the Waif took Arya's face and is pretending to be the her. Now, this would be awesome. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Lady S. said:

When Brienne says he can't withstand the Lannister/Frey forces, he says they can withstand longer than Jaime thinks. That is not the same as saying they would ultimately win. 

When a siege collapses, the Lannister/Frey would be forced to withdraw. That is a win. And keeping the Lannister army tied up at Riverrun while things go to hell for Cersei in KL is a win for the Blackfish. Jaime clearly knows he has a short time to get this done. Cerise is a dead woman if he can't bring the Lannister forces back to the outskirts of KL before her trial. The Tryell forces presumably still there will not lift a finger on her behalf. Brienne simply does not know what is going on in King's Landing, or the urgency of Jamie ending this siege quickly. She's working without significant info on Jaime's motivations.

• Love 1

Jamie is the man/knight he could have been when he's with Brienne, if he hadn't been a Lannister who's spent a lifetime schutpping his twin sister and following his family's usual pattern of ruthlessness.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, RCharter said:

I keep getting a list of people that I hope this show keeps safe....Varys, Tyrion, Pod, Brienne, Arya, Layanna, Bronn, John, Ser Davos, Margery, Olenna, Tomund, (because he and Brienne must happen).

I have a list too. Similar to yours except I'd swap out Pod with Dany/Grey Worm/Missandei and Jon with Sansa.

• Love 1
(edited)

I rewatched the Brienne/Jaime's scenes from last night which makes my heart hurt even more. Jaime had so much potential. Ugh. I don't want to give up on him because Brienne loves him after all. I am glad that she again surprised him by finding Sansa. Brienne is so capable and clever. I kept smiling when she kept calling him "Ser Jaime" to remind him of the man he wants to be and he in turned called her "Lady Brienne" matching her formality. 

6 hours ago, Drogo said:

On a related note, I couldn't quite understand why Bronn was so certain that Jaime would 'fook' Brienne.  Jaime has only 'fooked' one woman in his life. 

I think that Bronn can see how Jaime feels about Brienne. He is a different man when he is with her. He is definitely attracted to her. The two actors play up their chemistry.  I think away from Cersei's influence alone with Brienne, Jaime would have have sex with Brienne.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 9
38 minutes ago, kdm07 said:

I have a list too. Similar to yours except I'd swap out Pod with Dany/Grey Worm/Missandei and Jon with Sansa.

I could take or leave Jon at this point, but if Tormund or Wun Wun dies next week, I will lose my shit.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, RCharter said:

So I've been watching a lot of documentaries about the court of Henry VIII and I can't help but think that it was the inspiration for some of this.  At least partially, I mean Henry VIII pretty much created a new religion and made himself the head of it.  But the idea that the church and the crown are intertwined and united was something that Henry VIII believed for a long, long time (until he decided he REALLY needed a son, and his current wife wasn't gonna get the job done).  The the king would ultimately become the "head" of the church just reminds me so much of Henry VIII.  Of course, that there is so much fighting and powerbrokering over religion also reminds me of that time period.

I've also thought this whole High Sparrow plot is GoT's take on the relationship between the British Throne, the Vatican, and the Church of England.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Dobian said:

I've also thought this whole High Sparrow plot is GoT's take on the relationship between the British Throne, the Vatican, and the Church of England.

You can also go back a century or two to the Hundred Years' War, where religious sects struggled for power and  perpetrated horrible atrocities in the name of their flavor of Christianity.  Even though the Reformation was over a century away, divisions were deep already.  There were also wandering bands of former soldiers plundering the countryside over and over, which matches this story pretty closely.  GRRM has apparently said he used the Wars of the Roses as inspiration, but I have to say, the 14th century resembles the mess in Westeros/Essos quite well.  

Edited by Calamity Jane
Wars of the Roses
  • Love 6

Are there more men in the Brotherhood than we've seen?  They seem to be a very, very small group. 

Maybe Arya can hook up with the Hound again, lol.  Has she lost her bags of gold?  Is she stuck in Braavos without them? 

That goodbye between Tyron and Varys was sad.  It seemed like "I will likely never see you again, will I?" kind of goodbye.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, truelovekiss said:

So help me old gods and new, when are we going to hear the rest of the story about the honeycomb and jackass in the brothel?!?!  

Shot from behind, Tyrion and Varys are sitting in a pair of simple chairs overlooking rows and rows of grapevines and watching the sun set off in the distance. Tyrion hands Varys a glass of Imp's Delight and says "Did I ever tell you about the time I brought a honeycomb and a jackass into a brothel?" Cut to black, series over.

• Love 24
37 minutes ago, Drogo said:

This is the second time he's tried to tell that joke and gotten cut off.  He also started it during his Eyrie "confession." 

Yes!! I recognized it as soon as I heard the opening line haha! 

41 minutes ago, Delta1212 said:

Shot from behind, Tyrion and Varys are sitting in a pair of simple chairs overlooking rows and rows of grapevines and watching the sun set off in the distance. Tyrion hands Varys a glass of Imp's Delight and says "Did I ever tell you about the time I brought a honeycomb and a jackass into a brothel?" Cut to black, series over.

This is the only mystery I care about anymore. Because this sounds like a boss story.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Daisy said:

I guess this is the best place to ask because it came up - but did I miss why Jamie is so hot for his sister? I truly can't remember, other than he "loves" her, but how did this even start? (on his end). 

I think it's also expected, they would have been raised in an environment that encouraged it. :blech:

9 hours ago, Drogo said:

Jaime has only 'fooked' one woman in his life. 

Is this true? I assumed he'd been in a brothel at some point. If not, maybe it explains why he's so devoted to Cercei.

• Love 1

Before Catelyn freed him from Robb's camp, he implied he was more honorable than the honorable Ned Stark because he'd never cheated on/been with anyone other than Cersei, but Ned had fathered a bastard (Jon.)

• Love 6
(edited)
10 hours ago, Save Yourself said:

I think everyone is way too optimistic about Jamie.  I think Cersei will be put first with him (almost) always.  I think the only reason Brienne / Jamie didn't have a definitive rift now is that they have something bigger planned for later.

These characters who see some shred of honor in Jamie have no real understanding of who he is.  Frankly, I think the audience (including me) is forgetting too.  He's the guy that throws a child out a window to protect his relationship with Cersei.  And I see nothing really that says he's changed by knowing Brienne or anything else.  Because really, all his 'maybe he's changing' actions/relationships haven't been in opposition to him being with Cersei.  They have been quests that let him pretend he's honorable while pursuing his desire to reunite with Cersei or do her bidding in some way. I take his conversations with Edmure entirely at face value, both in what Jamie said he'd do and Edmure questioning how Jamie tells himself he's a good person.

I think Jamie will have a series of choices that definitively end his positive relationships with everyone until only Cersei is left and then Cersei will do something so bad that Jamie will end her.  But he's going to have to be sunk in self-loathing and Cersei will have to destroy his illusions about her (maybe kill their only living child) to make it happen.

So, I'm expecting a series end murder-suicide. 

The scene where Brienne sailed away and Jamie/she waved goodbye was very melancholy in a the next time they meet they will be on opposite sides in a war kind of way.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Cynna said:

I think it's also expected, they would have been raised in an environment that encouraged it. :blech:

Is this true? I assumed he'd been in a brothel at some point. If not, maybe it explains why he's so devoted to Cercei.

I don't think it would have been in the Lannisters given how disgusted Tywin was at the situation. 

He probably has been in the brothels, they seem to be a hugely popular 'hang-out'! I think Bronn assumes Jaime has been with lots of women because of how attractive he is.

I can't quite remember but didn't Jaime at some point in the series say something like 'the heart wants what it wants', that love isn't rational, he doesn't know why he loves her? He doesn't seem to be under any illusions about who she really is so I don't think he's idealised her in some way, he just seems fixated on her, in a way she isn't with him. I know she says she loves him and all that matters is them, etc but she was pretty quick to dismiss him when he lost his hand. 

Edited by Save Yourself
  • Love 3
(edited)

Cersei is a stupid, evil bitch who needs to die but she needs to slap the arrogance and condescension out of Uncle Keven before she goes!

I've never shipped Brienne and Jamie but that was some THICK chemistry going on.  Tormund has an uphill battle there.

I doubt the paternity of the child Edmere supposedly sired on Red Wedding night.  Since he has never seen him, they could use any child to manipulate him.

I'm glad that Arya turned out to be more Dancing Master than Jaqen Hagar... although Jaqen is still smokin' hot when he's not being a douchey company man.

Edited by Arnella
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Cynna said:

He goes there to get "girlfriends" for Tyrion

i have a nagging feeling arya will meet her "love interest" again...remember robert's bastard who was sold by the brotherhood?  that dude was hot, lol.

would be cool if arya will be the "head" of the stark family over sansa since she has the combat skills now.....backing up jon in the white walker war.  sansa is becoming very conniving of late.