Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: No One

• Start Topic

While Jaime weighs his options, Cersei answers a request. Tyrion’s plans bear fruit. Arya faces a new test.

Reminder: This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any spoiler from outside the books (i.e. next weeks preview) should be in spoiler tags.

(edited)

I think that this was the weakest episode of the season. At least, Daenerys is back. Where is Varys going to find ships in Westeros? Olenna? Tyrion looked so sad to see him go.

I am glad that Essie Davis got more airtime as the actress in the play, but this Arya story has been ridiculous. How did she recover from her injuries so quickly?

Brienne is so wonderful. She has so much honor unlike Jaime. He is so disappointing now. I cannot believe that I ever wanted him with Brienne. I am glad that Edmure and The Blackfish told him off. Bring on Brienne and Tormund.

Ha, no more trial by combat.

I am not thrilled with all this time dedicated to the Hound.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 12
1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

A man looked rather pleased with how that turned out.

Yes, he did.  I also think the "girl that is finally no one" was the waif.  She really had it out for Arya for no reason.

• Love 20

After all that time in that cult, Arya is back to being Arya Stark and using Needle as Silvo taught her. I don't get the point of that whole story. Maybe she has learnt skills that we don't know about to help her kill her enemies. I have no clue.

• Love 14

I wonder if the training Arya had also made her heal faster because she's up and about way too quickly.  So apparently A Man was trying to lead Arya to reclaim her name and fight.

The only shreds of honor Jaime have are inspired by Brienne and Tyrion.  He's at his worst away from them.  I always feel like Jaime really wants to live up to Brienne's sense of nobility.  He seems to be the vulnerable one in their interactions.  He knows she's too good for him.

Tyrion really did his best to find a peaceful resolution, but he should have prepared more for things to go bad.

• Love 16

My son and I looked at each other at the end, and he said, "The title should have been 'Nowhere.'"  It does feel as if things have not progressed a whole lot for the past couple of weeks.  

I did like the end of the Arya-in-Braavos arc, though.  And there can never be too much Tyrion, or too much Brienne or too much Pod.  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Damn, that Sparrow is outflanking Cersei at every turn. I'm fascinated to see where she goes from here.

Down. Down. Down. I expect she will go down.

5 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

I wonder if the training Arya had also made her heal faster because she's up and about way too quickly.  So apparently A Man was trying to lead Arya to reclaim her name and fight.

The only shreds of honor Jaime have are inspired by Brienne and Tyrion.  He's at his worst away from them.  I always feel like Jaime really wants to live up to Brienne's sense of nobility.  He seems to be the vulnerable one in their interactions.  He knows she's too good for him.

Tyrion really did his best to find a peaceful resolution, but he should have prepared more for things to go bad.

They explained it (albeit rather weakly) when that actress said that she had bedded many men into whom she put holes and then patched them up.

• Love 2

I liked the episode, but really, what was the point of Arya, the Waif and the Faceless Man? She spent all that time getting her ass kicked for nothing. 

The High Sparrow is really sticking it to Cersei. Trial by Combat was her ace in the hole, and he knew it. 

• Love 6

So Blackfish's name gets added to the list of characters brought back just to die in the next episode. I hate how Jaime is just completely Cersei's bitch, when he was telling Edmure how he'll kill every Tully just to get back to her, I kept wishing Tormund could have a chance to kick his ass. I wish Bronn had told him about how she was screwing Lancel when he was a prisoner of war. Had to laugh how the Sparrow totally owned Cersei and he didn't even appear. But she has something up her sleeve since Varys' former little birds told Qyburn something was more than a rumor.

Speaking of Varys, he's going back to Westeros, but what will his explanation be when he disappeared right after Tyrion escaped and killed Tywin.

I was really happy to see Beric and Thoros of Myr back, which means they'll die the next time we see them. I would have preferred the Hound axe the dude in the middle to death though.

What did Arya's training accomplish? Her new acquired skills may help her get the drop on someone one on one, but they're pretty useless in a battle and there's a massive war on, even before the White Walkers arrive which all that will be completely useless. I'll miss Essie Davis though.

• Love 4

Jaime was just horrific threatening Edmure tonight. I wanted to believe he was bluffing, but I think that he would have thrown that baby over the wall just like he pushed Bran through the window out of his perverse love for Cersei. 

• Love 20
(edited)

I didn't feel like writing anything because of the gay bar massacre in Orlando has got me more than a little upset.  However, my has improved slightly, so I'm going to be brief.

How are you going to get out of this one, Lucsei?  Seriously, Lucy Ricardo has never fucked up more than Cersei has.

Blackfish is wrapped up.  Lovely.

I liked Missandei's joke.  And I love Grey Worm for finally calling out arrogant ass Tyrion for his shit.  Can't wait to see Daenerys' reaction when she finds out he made a deal with the Red Priestesses.

This has been the third bear man hanging this season.  First with three of the four Night Watch traitors, second with Mr. Tits and Dragons, and now this one with Mr. Yellow Cloak and two extras.  Someone's kinky.  (What?  Did I go to far?)

And The T-Waif thousand is finally dead.  And Arya's taken back who she was.  She should have killed that one guy whose name escapes me now who ordered her death.

Next episode: Bolton vs Stark in the World Series of Love.  Sorry.  My mother has been listening to Prince a lot lately.

Now to copy and paste all this to The AV Club because I am lazy.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, Popples said:

But she has something up her sleeve since Varys' former little birds told Qyburn something was more than a rumor.

does anyone have an idea what this is?

Edmure is right. Jamie is one sick dude

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, maydaymayday said:

Edmure is right. Jamie is one sick dude

I was wondering if it was Tyrion's whereabouts. Nothing else occurs at the moment.

There was no doubt in my mind where Arya v. Waif was going, but that last scene with Jaquen was still satisfying. Great delivery by Maisie Williams.

Guess I'm stupid, because I was confused by Jaime's conversation with Edmure. At first I thought he was trying to strike the same kind of deal with Edmure that Brienne offered the Blackfish. But then he went off on his rants about Cersei and got threatening. And then we see him signalling farewell to Brienne and Pod. Can someone explain what was going on there? BTW, Jaime and Cersei can have each other, just leave everyone else out of it.

Speaking of Cersei, ha! Chalk one up for the High Sparrow. Not that I lose any love for him, but she is one of the worst. It always satisfies to see her bested.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

So I am confused. If at the end Arya just ended his training without really becoming a No One, why did she go to Braavos in the first place?

I don't know. If she wanted combat training she could've gotten that from Brienne or the Hound. I guess she needed to be out of the way for a while until the Stark family can reunite.

• Love 3

RIP, Blackfish. Good on you for spitting in Jamie's eye by going out like the warrior you were.

It's time for Jamie Lannister to die. He's an awful person with no redeeming qualities. He's driven by nothing more than selfishness, and the fact that he's self-aware, but pretends that he's not, makes him just as bad as Cersei. I don't understand why so many people love this character. He's a big nothing.

Poor Edmure Tully. He's almost as tragic a character as Theon, but at least he still has his dick. Edmure got screwed over sooooooo badly by trying to help Robb. He's lost everything, and he's married to a fucking Frey.

It looks like Cersei is going to kill Tommen by burning down the city down with wildfire. Biggest problem with this is that Cersei probably won't die.

Thank the old gods and the new that our long national nightmare, known as the Arya in Bravos story line, is finally over. 

Shout-out to Essie Davis, who was excellent as Lady Crane!

Beric Dondarion is still alive!  I loved it when Thoros of Myr said that all men must die, and Clegane said, "except that one."  So that's 2 un-dead for the good guys!  Well, 2 1/2 if you count Uncle Benjen.

I'm not gonna be interested in Danerys and the dragons until I see them laying down fire on some white walkers.

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I am not thrilled with all this time dedicated to the Hound.

Yeah, I don't understand that. It's not as if the actor is all that great because he's not.  His screen time took away from Jon and crew in the north.

• Love 4

I was quite concerned for Varys, looked like a final goodbye between him and Tyrion.  Guess he's gone back to Westeros to reclaim his lost birds and that would be good, except it just gave me the feeling he's on his way out, probably courtesy the Mountain.

• Love 4

Re the High Sparrow and Cercei:   They are both such awful people, but somehow you gotta root for Cercei there.  And I know I said Jamie is a S.O.B, but somehow that tiny bit of honor that he has redeems him just a little.  Not that I want Jamie and Cercei together, but certainly I want the HIgh Sparrow out of there.  Maybe they can go live in the woods somewhere.  Off camera.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, maydaymayday said:

It seems that Cersei might want to use wildfire to burn the city down, and everyone in it (though I think she may still try to save her son).

36 minutes ago, maydaymayday said:

50 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

This show has dragons and ice zombies.  It's not a stretch for me to believe Arya's wounds aren't that bad.

• Love 10
19 minutes ago, dramachick said:

Poor Edmure Tully. He's almost as tragic a character as Theon, but at least he still has his dick. Edmure got screwed over sooooooo badly by trying to help Robb. He's lost everything, and he's married to a fucking Frey.

That's why I can't understand how Jon and Sansa expect the Northern Houses to have unwavering loyalty to the Starks. Yeah, Ned was great, but Robb royally fucked over everyone with his stupidity and shenanigans. Edmure took one for the team and paid dearly for it. I didn't think he OR the Blackfish owed Sansa anything.

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, TV Anonymous said:

So I am confused. If at the end Arya just ended his training without really becoming a No One, why did she go to Braavos in the first place?

It's more of an answer from the 60s. But I would say she went to "find herself". And she did. She is Arya Stark from Winterfell.

• Love 11

I loved Arya's line to Jaquen at the end, though frankly I don't see how she could have been running around after having been stabbed several times in the gut, before making it to Lady Crane's. And Lady Crane's medicine must have had some magic in it to have Arya up and about and ready to fight only a day later.

Nice to see the Brotherhood Without Banners -- the real ones, not the killers of peaceful villagers. Looks like the Hound has found his club to join. Was it the White Walkers they were talking about fighting?

When I first saw the slavers' ships in Mereen, I thought that was when Yara's fleet was going to show up...but when I saw that Dany and her dragon were back, I thought she can just have her dragon burn all the ships. Problem solved.

I'm interested in Varys' secret mission. Who is he going to see in Westeros?

I could do with fewer (or not any) scenes of awkward banter between Missandei, Greyworm and Tyrion. I remember when Tyrion used to be witty and funny.

Yay to Jamie for letting Brienne keep the sword, and letting her and Pod leave. There is a tiny bit of honor in him somewhere. But poor Edmure & Blackfish. And I hate the Freys winning anything.

I liked the Mountain intimidating the Sparrows, but hated Cersei's smug smirking face. So I was happy to hear no trial by combat. She is going to kill them all though.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

Jaime was just horrific threatening Edmure tonight. I wanted to believe he was bluffing, but I think that he would have thrown that baby over the wall just like he pushed Bran through the window out of his perverse love for Cersei. 

I know Jamie would have bashed a baby against a castle wall.  He's despicable.  Just a sick, twisted, sister fucking bitch.

Re the High Sparrow and Cercei:   They are both such awful people, but somehow you gotta root for Cercei there.

Uh, no.  I'll never root for Cersei.  She deserves every defeat, every humiliation, every failure she gets.  And still I won't be satisfied until I see her head on a pike, preferably at Winterfell. 

Edited by taurusrose
  • Like 1
  • Love 15

I think Jamie said what he had to say to get Edmure to go and call the surrender. We saw Jamie saying to Bronn in previous episode that he wanted to avoid bloodshed. I actually think he did in this case.

• Love 11
(edited)

So, Arya spent all this time learning how to be a stealth assassin n' stuff. Will she still be able to change identity once she heads back home? If so, she could have the upper hand in coming down on the enemy.

Also, isn't winter coming? The white walkers are really slow walkers.  :P

Edited by Moon Martini
typos etc.
  • Love 5

Tobias Menzies as Edmure did a great job portraying a weak man who knows he is weak and is tormented by it. Like the Blackfish, he knows that his days are numbered whether he surrenders Riverrun to the Freys or not. Old Walder will take the castle and clap him back in the black cells. And as for the baby...why did he not ask for proof that it exists?  As for the lovely Roslyn, where is she? Admittedly, he has spent the last couple of years in a filthy cell, half-starved and the thought of his release may have overwhelmed his judgement. And no, the Tully army will not be free to just march out of Riverrun...they are now under the jackboots of the Freys as well. That soldier so eager to serve the rightful lord had quite a look on his face when he heard Edmure order the castle surrendered. He realized he had just royally screwed himself, and his men, and been abandoned by his rightful lord, Edmure. 

The Blackfish had it right, and knew the Freys and the Lannisters for the liars and double-dealers they are. The Blackfish would  have made them bleed for Riverrun. Edmure give it to them in a cakewalk, with nothing to show for it, only an empty promise from Jaime, who will renege and deliver him to old Walder. 

Tobias Menzies as Edmure did a great job portraying a weak man who knows he is weak and is tormented by it. Like the Blackfish, he knows that his days are numbered whether he surrenders Riverrun to the Freys or not. Old Walder will take the castle and clap him back in the black cells. And as for the baby...why did he not ask for proof that it exists?  As for the lovely Roslyn, where is she? Admittedly, he has spent the last couple of years in a filthy cell, half-starved and the thought of his release may have overwhelmed his judgement. And no, the Tully army will not be free to just march out of Riverrun...they are now under the jackboots of the Freys as well. That soldier so eager to serve the rightful lord had quite a look on his face when he heard Edmure order the castle surrendered. He realized he had just royally screwed himself, and his men, and been abandoned by his rightful lord, Edmure. 

The Blackfish had it right, and knew the Freys and the Lannisters for the liars and double-dealers they are. The Blackfish would  have made them bleed for Riverrun. Edmure give it to them in a cakewalk, with nothing to show for it, only an empty promise from Jaime, who will renege and deliver him to old Walder. 

• Love 6
(edited)

How could I forget Bronn! I loved him teasing Pod about wanting to have sex with Brienne and then teasing him about learning how to fight dirty. It was so Bronn. He was that Jaime would have sex with Brienne in a heartbeat if she let him, but she has too much honor and he damn well knows that he isn't good enough to be shit under her shoes. I think that he is embarrassed by how evil he is compared to her which is why he is careful about what he says around her. He almost called his men on her, but finally did the right thing and let her and Pod go.

I wonder if Jaquen is going back to Westeros with Arya. Despite my annoyance with him, he still is hot. 

Tyrion is lonely. I hope that Daenerys helps get his drinking under control before he turns into a nasty drunk.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

How could I forget Bronn! I loved him teasing Pod about wanting to have sex with Brienne and then teasing him about learning how to fight dirty. It was so Bronn. He was right about Jaime would have sex with Brienne in a heartbeat if she let him, but she has too much honor and he damn well knows that he isn't good enough to be shit under her shoes. 

I wonder if Jaquen is going back to Westeros with Arya. Despite my annoyance with him, he still is hot. 

Tyrion is lonely. I hope that Daenerys helps get his drinking under control before he turns into a nasty drunk.

Bronn makes me smile. He really brings the comic relief. 

Jaquen is a hottie. I hope it isn't the last we see of him. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

I know, Bronn is still waiting on his castle, lands, and rich wife to materialize, and he's not even a prisoner.

3 minutes ago, Moon Martini said:

Also, isn't winter coming? The white walkers are really slow walkers.  :P

More like sauntering, isn't it?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

Yes, he did.  I also think the "girl that is finally no one" was the waif.  She really had it out for Arya for no reason.

Even though she was no one, I  think she was just a jealous bitch. Jaquen took a special intrest in Arya, who was skilled in fighting and survival even before she wound up in nowhere land.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Popples said:

I know, Bronn is still waiting on his castle, lands, and rich wife to materialize, and he's not even a prisoner.

I can only assume that Bronn does not know that the Lannisters are broke and don't have squat to give him.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, AliShibaz said:

It's more of an answer from the 60s. But I would say she went to "find herself". And she did. She is Arya Stark from Winterfell.

I'm happy she got here, but I really wish it hadn't taken an absurd amount of time. Go home, girlfriend. Jon needs your help.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, riley702 said:

Please tell me it was intentional comedy to have the Waif doing her best Robert Patrick as the fucking Terminator impression in that chase scene, all emotionless and she JUST KEPT COMING. God, that was so bad. I didn't know whether to wince or snicker.

Ha, that's who I thought of too!

• Love 6