Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Unforgiven

• Start Topic

50 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Solomon is the father's current favored child.  In polygamy, those not receiving the husband's/father's attention tend to align themselves with the favored.  She didn't want to take any rando kid with her.  Meri wanted to take the child that would win her more Kody points.

Maybe, but she did say that it was because Meriah likes Sol so much (hint - buffer).

I also don't think it was safe for that skinny little thing to be sitting in the front seat with Meri! There's a height/weight requirement for sitting in the front seat of a car. I would not be happy seeing my little kid in a front seat, on a highway going upwards of 65 mph, in that tin can of a car...

• Love 3
(edited)
52 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Yes, but this is a young woman, whose mother was married to a man who brought three other women into his life, set them all up under the same roof, slept with them alternately, impregnated them almost alternately,  under the guise of a "plural marriage."

Sure, when Mariah was born, there were already three moms in the house, so she was raised with the "normal" being that Daddy could plow it where ever he wanted to, and Mommy couldn't, but she was old enough to witness the addition of Wifey #4. Did she not pick up on the tension? The manipulation? Daddy divorcing her mom to marry the younger wife?

So, it's hard for me to call Meri a "cheater" by conversing with a guy who was actually a woman, online, while Kody has been sleeping/living with multiple women for Mariah's entire life. 

Oh, didn't catch that little nugget. Of so, OUCH. That says a lot, especially if Aspyn and Mykelti are included. 

But that life was normal for Mariah. She loved the polygamy life and wanted to practice it herself until recently...I agree with you that the whole thing led to tension/manipulation, but that's how we see it, not princess Mariah with the giant bedroom. It was rainbows and unicorns for her, until recently...

i believe 100 % that Meri cheated. She cheated because she did not go to Kody and tell him upfront that she wanted to be with someone else. She snuck around behind his and everybody's back. Sent provocative pictures intended to incite lust and left countless voicemails professing love to whom she thought was another man. She cheated in her heart and soul as much as if she physically touched lips with the supposed man. Her intentions said everything. At least when Kody took on the other wives, she knew that was his intentions were before she married him. Polygamy was always the plan. I think it's two different arguments. Does polygamy suck? Yes. But that's what they all agreed to. Upfront. At least Kody was honest about it.

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 23
56 minutes ago, Lm2162 said:

@Granny58, I don't think it has much to do with age. If Mariah is an immature person, it is largely to do with Meri, as Meri's way of communicating is also highly immature and childish. That's what's been modeled to her.

I really don't see why the size of her room has anything to do with this. Someone's life can't have any struggles if they have a nice bedroom? Because she was spoiled in some ways, she's not allowed to be upset that her mom had a public affair and now regularly lies about it? Also, I wouldn't want to go to counseling or talk privately with my mom about this if she wasn't admitting what she did. And she doesn't. That's a key part of this. She claims it was mere flirting and ABUSE from the catfish, instead of Meri planning actively to leave the family for almost a year, including on more than one trip with Mariah. So she is betraying her daughter, too.

Her college actually isn't too conservative. It's a liberal arts college in a fairly conservative area. Many people learn critical thinking skills and have their minds burst wide open at college. I know I did. I believe that.

Re: having "compassion," it's hard when the parents told them their whole lives that they must believe a certain way of relating, loving, and marrying is the only religiously and morally correct one. The kids were much more brainwashed when they were young. Mariah went to a polygamist school through high school. It will take her some time to have compassion for why someone might want to leave or the many complicated factors that lead to something like this. I believe she will, but Meri can't expect that right away when she's the one who taught Mariah to think and believe this way to begin with, to the point that she was willing to go on a show about polygamy and fundamentalist Mormonism and sing its praises as recently as a year or so ago. 

Also, it's hard for Mariah to forgive/have compassion for Meri when Meri won't even be honest for what she has done. In order to forgive, Meri needs to ask Mariah for forgiveness. And own up HONESTLY to what Meri has done. I'm sure Meri is light years away from any honest discussions about anything. Honesty and Meri have never met.

• Love 13

@VedaPierce,exactly. What can she forgive? Meri is pretending she was preyed upon and did nothing wrong. It's not as if Meri is leaving and Mariah refuses to stand by her. On the contrary, Meri is reasserting the religious and moral correctness of AUB doctrine, which requires polygamy...and faithfulness in it. Yet she's still acting as if she was just seeking out an innocent friendship and was horribly abused and victimized. 

• Love 5

Solly is still a toddler.

Just an educational note: Solomon is four years old and has been walking well for years.  He's a pre-schooler and should be going to kindergarten this fall.  A toddler is a child just learning to walk and is a developmental stage that ends usually between 15 and 24 months.  :)  Clothing manufacturers notwithstanding.  Toddler cut in clothing usually refers to having room for diapers. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
55 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

I thought I heard that Mariah, Aspyn, and Mykelti were in the bridal party, but I could be wrong and I really do not want to watch the episode again.

All three girls are bridesmaids, her friend Desi is her maid of honor.

• Love 3

I also think it's important to note that while Mariah's behavior is immature and disrespectful, they're both adults and Mariah doesn't owe Meri any more respect than she gets herself. Mariah works and goes to school full time and lives on her own. Meri's behavior is wildly immature and disrespectful constantly (slamming a door over King Sol?), but more than anyone, she's disrespected her daughter. She knew Kody wouldn't really give a shit, but the person this really affects besides Meri herself IS Mariah, it's true.

I also thought I heard that Mariah was in the bridal party along with Mykelti and Aspyn. But I don't 100% remember. I'd love to hear more about Aspyn and where she's at in terms of polygamy and life goals.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, MoodyGirl said:

And lastly, I have never been a fan of Mariah. But when she said that she learned critical thinking in college and no longer agreed with her old church and beliefs--I was like--yes! She seems a little smarter than the average bear (Brown--ha!) now.  

I've said some shady shit about Mariah, especially with regards to her insistence on going to that incredibly expensive private college given the financial inequities in her family.  However, with her no longer wanting to live plural marriage I am gonna say that even if she doesn't graduate and become a physician's assistance or whatever, I will consider her learning critical thinking and seeing the BS in her former church to be $20k+ a year well spent. 

As an eyebrow aficionado and someone who has always adored full eyebrows long before it was fashionable, I agree with Mariah on Meri's eyebrows. Sorry, not sorry. 

I actually have been warming up to Breana since last season. I didn't think she was all that extra during the adoption thing and even showed some restraint and skepticism on occasion. Aurora on the other hand, is always at 100.

While I give leeway to Sol being a toddler and at a strange juncture in his young life with a new sibling who will replace him as the baby of the family, still doesn't change the fact that I believe him to be overly coddled and deferred to by his parents. I blame the parents, not him for that.

Did anyone see that creepy fantasy sketch photo of Kody with Robyn's kids as babies from last season hanging in Robyn's house during the 'can I take Sol to Utah' segment of the show?

AGAIN! This episode did not need to be 2 hours long. The venue segment went on for a lonnngg time. I did wind up liking the one she chose. Kept wondering how much it would cost. Must be a hell of a lot cheaper to marry in Montana. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, VedaPierce said:

But that life was normal for Mariah. She loved the polygamy life and wanted to practice it herself until recently...I agree with you that the whole thing led to tension/manipulation, but that's how we see it, not princess Mariah with the giant bedroom. It was rainbows and unicorns for her, until recently...

i believe 100 % that Meri cheated. She cheated because she did not go to Kody and tell him upfront that she wanted to be with someone else. She snuck around behind his and everybody's back. Sent provocative pictures intended to incite lust and left countless voicemails professing love to whom she thought was another man. She cheated in her heart and soul as much as if she physically touched lips with the supposed man. Her intentions said everything. At least when Kody took on the other wives, she knew that was his intentions were before she married him. Polygamy was always the plan. I think it's two different arguments. Does polygamy suck? Yes. But that's what they all agreed to. Upfront. At least Kody was honest about it.

But was Koduche honest in his intentions? If he was honest and lived the TRUE spirit of polygamy he a) wouldn't play favourites with the wives. b) he wouldn't have legally divorced Meri for any reason as she was the first wife. c) things would be divided among the families more fairly.  

Did Meri cheat - yes.  I say meh on the cheating. It's the scheming prior to the cheating (bringing in wife #4, backstabbing the other wives and overall bitch attitude), the wetbar incident and just her overall that makes her unlikable.  

If Christine actually met a real guy online or where ever and decided to have an affair, heck her own MOTHER would pack her an overnight bag and tell Koduche to stick it where the sun don't shine.  

Other than that, most boring episode ever.  Pull the plug TLC and let's see the estate sales on the McMasions start to roll!

• Love 6

Meri is insane. Robyn is delusional. I loathe Robyn and Meri pretty much equally. However, no way in hell would I allow Meri to take my child out alone. 

Who knows if she'd come back. She was ready to split once, and nothing would give her more control or attention than disappearing for a bit with King Sol, working everyone into a frenzy, then being all 'huh, what, you people are paranoid, I'm a VICTIM again.' Robyn was 100% spot on to not allow Meri to take Sol to the grocery store, let alone to Utah.

This was nothing but a power play against Robyn, and as someone else mentioned above, trying to create a buffer between Meri and Meriah. Focus on the cute kid instead of having to deal with discussing how you used Meri as an excuse to do to Disney, etc., so you could have an affair.

• Love 6
58 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

I actually have been warming up to Breana since last season. I didn't think she was all that extra during the adoption thing and even showed some restraint and skepticism on occasion.

Breanna grew on me this episode too, she seemed pleasant to be around and I liked how she said to Mariah "that's not a good question" when Mariah was snarking on Meri's eyebrows.

• Love 5

Meri took Mariah to Disneyland when she planned on hooking up with Sam (as a buffer?) and she wanted to take Sol to Utah as a buffer to talk to Mariah. At least she is consistent. 

I found Mariah's choice of words when discussing polygamy interesting. She kept saying "they taught us" when discussing her church, but you know the ones teaching her were Kody (as the home church service leader), Christine (home school teacher), her mom, and in later years the church school teachers. She was indirectly blaming her parents for feeding her a load of crap about polygamy all those years. Then she full on openly dumped on Meri about JO. Mariah is obviously going through a lot of anger right now and really should see a therapist (NOT NANCY) to sort through it all. I think I understood what she was saying towards the end of her talk with Meri. She was so too angry to talk rationally about the situation and she also recognized she wasn't the one who had to fix it for Meri. I get the feeling in her childhood, Meri turned to Mariah to make things better when things were bad in her marriage and Mariah doesn't want that anymore. Mariah has a ways to go with not making it ALL about herself (she learned at the Master's knees) but it looks like she has grown a bit.

Also, loved her little nose piercing! 

I liked the second wedding dress on Maddie. She is a bigger girl and it seemed, it don't know, sweeter on her. My mom and I were also laughing at the green grass, full green trees and the tank top on the venue owner, all supposedly in winter in Montana!

I refuse to watch that promo of Kody telling the world that you have to breath and push in order to have a baby. SHUT UP. Just run the braying burro again, please.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

Just an educational note: Solomon is four years old and has been walking well for years.  He's a pre-schooler and should be going to kindergarten this fall.  A toddler is a child just learning to walk and is a developmental stage that ends usually between 15 and 24 months.  :)  Clothing manufacturers notwithstanding.  Toddler cut in clothing usually refers to having room for diapers. 

actually, I'm surprised he is that old.

• Love 2

So, now according to Mariah, someone else did know about "Sam."  According to Mariah, she told Meri NOT to do it.  But, she did anyway.  To me, that goes against the story Meri told Kody and the wives.  According to that story, she was all alone and afraid she was being bugged, no one else knew, etc.  Well, that's not true.  Mariah knew.  

I know that Mariah claims that she's just angry and needs time to not be angry, before she discusses it, I suspect that it's more than that.  I suspect that it's HOW Meri is portraying her involvement.  Meri acts like she accidentally dented the car or something, NOT like she chose to fall in love with an online pretend man named Sam. I can understand how Meri's version of the incident might cause her resentment.

I do think Mariah might need to see a counselor though.  All that resentment isn't good for your health.  It can mess with your mental and physical well being.  And if she's going to punish her mom for what she did, she needs to figure out how long she gets punished, if she gets paroled, what are the terms, what is the release date, etc.  Most defendants get to serve their time and get free.  

One thing that annoys me is that Meri and Janelle seem to be so vague and unsure of so many things.  I would think that you should be able to be more definitive about things in your life.  All this talk about what does that look like, how will it appear, I'm uncertain of how to go there, what types of things could be considered, etc. It drives me nuts.  So vague, uncertain, mealy mouthed. Frustrating.

Every girl should have the wedding dress of her dreams.  That said, I wish that girls would have the courage to pick a dress that suits them and not let what others wear dictate their style. Kate Middleton was able to do that and how lovely she looked.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_dress_of_Kate_Middleton 

• Love 1

@SunnyBeBe, I think Mariah alluded to that pretty clearly when she said it didn't matter if it wasn't physical, it was still deception and an affair. Until Meri admits that, it must be hard for Mariah to know how to respond. If someone admits they wronged you, the ball's in your court. You still don't have to forgive them immediately, but still, it's up to you how to proceed. Meri is not only downplaying but actively lying about what happened, so I can imagine that Mariah feels really confused about how long she is "allowed" to be angry about what is basically a lie.

Also, Mariah met Jackie. So that had to be creepy and must be even creepier now. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Yes, but this is a young woman, whose mother was married to a man who brought three other women into his life, set them all up under the same roof, slept with them alternately, impregnated them almost alternately,  under the guise of a "plural marriage."

Sure, when Mariah was born, there were already three moms in the house, so she was raised with the "normal" being that Daddy could plow it where ever he wanted to, and Mommy couldn't, but she was old enough to witness the addition of Wifey #4. Did she not pick up on the tension? The manipulation? Daddy divorcing her mom to marry the younger wife?

So, it's hard for me to call Meri a "cheater" by conversing with a guy who was actually a woman, online, while Kody has been sleeping/living with multiple women for Mariah's entire life. 

But that's polygamy. They all knew how it worked going in. Meri agreed to it, and I think she was one actually pushing for Robyn. She signed up for that life. No one signed up for Meri to have an affair with some stranger on the internet. I get that this life is often destructive, especially to women. Even in monogamous relationships I can sometimes sympathize with the reasons for infidelity, but I can never sympathize with the actual infidelity. If you're unhappy, leave. Meri didn't want to leave until she thought she had someone else to carry her through life. She broke trust with her husband, her sister wives, and their children. And she still won't totally own what happened.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

As an eyebrow aficionado and someone who has always adored full eyebrows long before it was fashionable, I agree with Mariah on Meri's eyebrows. Sorry, not sorry. 

I do too, but Mariah's aren't much better. And I just found it really cruel to draw attention to the issue in such a public way.

1 hour ago, Armchair Critic said:

Breanna grew on me this episode too, she seemed pleasant to be around and I liked how she said to Mariah "that's not a good question" when Mariah was snarking on Meri's eyebrows.

Breanna seems like she is probably a really cool kid. She just doesn't have a chance to shine with her overdramatic sister taking the spotlight all the time.

• Love 5

I was pulling myself together after watching the PBS Memorial Day program and unfortunately landed on SW just as Eyebrowgate unfolded.  Mariah may think herself a college student with "critical thinking skills" but she came off like a Mean Girl bully which was not helped by having her snicker behind her hand.  I don't care what a jackass your mother is, that kind of act does not promote open dialog.  An iota of maturity would have included confronting the situation directly, not "neener, neener, you are funny looking" childish statements.

Haven't watch this in several years and the 30 seconds I saw justified my boycott.  Love the snark but will never again make the mistake of landing on TLC when SW is on.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Lm2162 said:

@tortuga, that shouldn't be her place because they are both adults, yes, but probably Mariah has an inappropriate relationship with her mother because she has had undue pressure to be both Meri's daughter and partner, since Kody hasn't been around much. Meri is very emotionally unstable and has likely leaned on Mariah for advice and emotional support to an inappropriate extent. It's telling that she only sought out a boyfriend after Mariah left, which tells you how much time they were probably spending together.

Also, this isn't a normal situation all around. I wouldn't have the right to tell my mom not to have an affair, but she never used me as a minor to be a character on her TV show, and she isn't on TV now or being followed by tabloids. So my friends, employer, students, and husband would never know in depth info about her affair or read her sexts and her complaints about my dad. But Mariah's circle of friends and colleagues will. Forever. 

I was going to say the same thing.  Mariah must have been deeply embarrassed.  She was right when she said meri caused this and the public fallout.  I don't blame her for her highly pissedoffness.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Mariah may think herself a college student with "critical thinking skills" but she came off like a Mean Girl bully which was not helped by having her snicker behind her hand.  I don't care what a jackass your mother is, that kind of act does not promote open dialog. An iota of maturity would have included confronting the situation directly, not "neener, neener, you are funny looking" childish statements.

Well, she did learn from the best on the bullying. ;)

• Love 4

Did anyone notice the room where Breanna was packing her bag?  I hope that's not her bedroom.  It was an absolute wreck.  I saw a treadmill, a trashed couch, and a bunch of other chaos.  It looked like a junk room but there are too many people living in that house for such a thing.  

Are there not basements in Las Vegas?  I would think that's a natural way to combat the heat. 

2 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Did anyone notice the room where Breanna was packing her bag?  I hope that's not her bedroom.  It was an absolute wreck.  I saw a treadmill, a trashed couch, and a bunch of other chaos.  It looked like a junk room but there are too many people living in that house for such a thing.  

Are there not basements in Las Vegas?  I would think that's a natural way to combat the heat. 

Las Vegas is a lot like Phoenix.  Basements are rare.  It's cheaper and faster to build on a concrete slab.  In colder climes, builders already have to dig below the frost line for a foundation, so it's not a big deal to dig a little deeper and make a basement.  There's no frost line in desert areas.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Lm2162 said:

@ChicksDigScars, my understanding is that the entire family, including the kids who left the church, regards each of these relationships as a marriage entirely equal in commitment and scope to any monogamous marriage. Actually, religiously superior. That's what they were taught in earnest throughout their lives. 

It's still hypocritical, IMO. Daddy can, but remember the look Kody had when Tamron Hall asked him how he'd react if one of the wives wanted to bring another husband into the fold? Meri was essentially dumped, legally and probably figuratively. I can't imagine Kody is having sex with anyone but Robyn, right now. Mariah should be pissed at her mother for bringing an embarrassing situation to the family, but needs to dial it down. She's being a disrespectful brat. There were PLENTY of things I wanted to say to my mother in her lifetime, but I held my tongue. She was the parent. I just made like Maddie Brown and got out of Dodge at 18 (and got a cat so she couldn't visit my apartment....allergies) and then put myself through school. Going on TV and being shitty only made Mariah look bad.

I'm sure that the Oklahoma troll was smirking in delight as she watched. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 7
(edited)

I thought Meri's reaction was very over-the-top when Robin and Kody told her 'no', but I also think she's feeling rejected by the family in general and being told she couldn't take Solomon made her panic. At the same time, it annoyed me that Robin had to pacify her...like Solomon is her child. She has a right to say he can't go out of state at this moment. I think they would have been happy to send him if he were much older.

I've always found Mariah to be a big brat. I see why she's not quick to forgive her mother, but at the same time, there's a smugness to her that just isn't cute. I think what Meri did was stupid, but I also realize that she was/is very lonely and that she doesn't find her current situation emotionally fulfilling. For decades, her mother has been living a lifestyle that has left her (and Christine) broken and confused. She's no longer legally married to Kody and she lives alone in her home because her only child is in college. She has a lot of free time and a lot of time to think about her life. It's clear Meri is very depressed. I think with time, Mariah will realize the impact that lifestyle has had on her mother's well-being.

The eyebrow comment was petty and in poor taste. If someone like 7-8 years younger (not sure how old Breanna is?) than Mariah can see that, I know Mariah knows it was uncalled for. Meri needs to let Mariah know that she will not stand for that.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 8

Four years old is not a toddler!  I thought Solomon was 2 1/2. He isn't very verbal for his age. I'm sure they baby him a lot and he rules the roost-I imagine the transition with baby sister is not going to go very smoothly and he's going to be regressing and wanting to nurse. Lol. Not that there's anything wrong with extended breastfeeding. 

Meri was ridiculous about being so hurt that they said no. Has he ever slept away from home?  Probably not the best idea to do so 3 1/2 hours away for the first time  I think it's pretty ridiculous that Kody rushes him back to Robyn every time he wants her. He should be comfortable at this age being with another family member. Heck, most kids are doing a short day preschool program even if their parent aren't working.  

I thought Breana was very poised and I'm glad she is having a little time away from the pack. She has such good posture watching her walk over to Meri's and sitting down.  Fingers crossed for that one. I don't know that having her around when there is tension going on with Mariah and meri is in her best interest but Of course, it's all about Meri and what she wants.  

When meri, in a talking head, said that she was staying for good in the family she looked so beaten. She shrugged and sighed and dreamed of a life with a man who will worship the ground she walks on. I wish it had been real and I understand how she could let things go that far.  Loneliness and free time can wreak havoc on a marriage.  I wish she would have continued school, there was no reason not to and she seems pretty good with the teenage kids there  

I liked the third dress that Maddie tried on.  She is quite pretty and fortunately has skin like janelle's and not the rudiness that most of her siblings have. 

Im sure Kody didn't go to all the prenatal appointments with the other wives but of course there was no camera crew.  Robyn sure has him on lock down.  She has such a witchy face that's only going to get more pronounced as she gets older.  All that she'll need is a wart on her nose.  

• Love 4

Mariah is going to college, living on her own, working... but she is not paying for college.  Meri is doing that.  There were several episodes devoted to the fact that Meri was paying for Mariah to go to a private school while the rest of the kids had to go to public ones, were encouraged to go to UNLV and live at home.  The scholarships that Mariah got were not enough to make a difference in the cost of a private liberal college out of state.  Kody is not making those payments, Meri is out of her 'family' share.  So, Meri should have told Mariah to suck it up and be polite or really be on her own.

Seems to me that someone who has learned critical thinking and wants to distance themselves from the polygamous church should be able to recognize the harm it did to her Mother, and be a little understanding. Is she going to be better with her future patients or is she going to rip them a new one every time they don't meet her standards of a model patient?

• Love 7

This show has become head-banging boring.  I end up fast forwarding through most of it and realize that the only thing I'm wondering about is when Meri is going to admit to being more than a victim.  I'm tired of the 'that's what happens when you play online' dismissive take and I'm waiting for some serious talk with Meri, a counselor and Cody.  Then-- an explanation to the others.  Not the victim talk but the yes..I had an emotional affair.  And a big part of my pain is that it WASN'T real,   NOT I was lied to and thought I had a friend and blah blah bullshit.   I'm lost because i'm not raising kids and realize that was my entire identity and interest in life.  I was lonely.  Online was fun at first but before I realized it I was caught up in the fantasy and hope of a new chapter and excitement , and yeah, I probably would have gone had it been real.  . I was that empty and lost and didn't realize it and didn't know how to solve it.  Please help me navigate my new circumstance, try to understand , and forgive me.  

Once she had the counseling with the adults and was on the road to help, she could leave Mariah  to her studies and tell her this is adult/marriage stuff and leave her out of it.     I think she wants Mariah to forgive her because the others haven't.  Until Meri tells the truth the others really have little to say. They can't cosign Meri's victim bullshit so it stays an elephant in the room, and it apparently smells.  They all seem to avoid her.

• Love 11
(edited)

Meri has friends.  She trails along after Van Lady Love or whatever they are called and flirts with one of the musicians.  She has girlfriends and she has posted photos of them on twitter.  Recently there was a super duper friend she saw in Hawaii.  

If Meri had any sense at all she would go to college or get herself trained for a career and go get a job.  But she won't, she's a grifter head to toe and will always be looking for the easy way out and the next free ride.

Mariah is really a chip off the old block.  Hopefully however, she will get herself a career and not be a grifter like good old mom.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Absolom said:

Really?  We're going to knit pick about whether Sol is a toddler or preschooler?  Sad that that's the takeaway from my entire post.

In my book, it is a maturation issue, not a set age. It's different strokes for different folks: http://parenting.stackexchange.com/questions/3495/at-what-age-does-a-toddler-stop-being-a-toddler  

To get back to the topic, no matter what his age, as long as he's a minor, if his mom (not his oblivious dad) feels that he he is going through something right now and says no, that is what you abide by.  Meri is grasping at anything she can to try to get back in good grace with the family, but there is still a part of me that thinks she is happy to have so much of the show centered around her these days.  She has obviously been going through some issues of her own, for how long is anyone's guess.  I just hope she gets the help she needs before she has a total melt down.  

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

I'm going to take a completely controversial stand on this show and say the person I feel the most sorry for is Meri.

Yes, a lot - if not all - of this is of he own making, but damn, it breaks my heart to see one human being that alone in the universe. Meri has no one. She's literally all alone in the world. I can't bring myself to "blame" her for the mess she made. Seriously. Can't. She's so ALONE. No man to love her, no children to love her, no job to take her mind off things. The other wives and children despise her as do the fanbase. She's got no one. She's divorced, but still "married." She's the "first wife" but the least favored wife. I see her as one big gigantic ball of sad.

She's too self aware to kill herself, but sheesh...she needs to leave. All that darkness and animosity directed at her. She's the family whipping boy and now even her own child hates her. 

Oh I get it I get it, honestly I do. SHE DID THIS TO HERSELF!!! I know. But still.

NOBODY "deserves" to be that alone in the world.  Don't think I could deal with not having a friend in the whole wide world and the one friend you thought you made turned out to be just another user who wanted to hurt and humiliate you. She's so damned ALONE it breaks my heart. Every single decision she makes is the absolute worst decision she could make. EVERYTHING she does is just...wrong. Who can live like that, with that? Every time this show is on it's "Meri fucked up  and the family is "dealing" with it" 

I feel like that dude on the internet years ago...LEAVE MERI ALOOOONE!!!!

I want her to leave. To find love. Hell to find FRIENDSHIP. A purpose. A LIFE outside of this gaping maw of loneliness that is her very existence.

I just can't find it in me to be gleeful or even "self-righteous" that she's "getting what she deserves" Because in my world?
NOBODY "deserves" that.

I have to agree with you.  There are many times I felt "sad" for her.    Yes I think she brought most of it on herself, but her upbringing, her low self esteem and a selfish husband just fueled the loneliness.     Don't get me wrong, I don't like her.   But I do feel sad she has no one.   

• Love 9

I feel sad for Meri too and I always have. I'm going to be even more unpopular and say I believe an affair is having sex with another person. I know some religions believe that lusting in your heart or even looking at a naked picture is a sin, but I don't believe that. I would not like it if my husband was sending sex messages to someone on the internet, but I would hate it and leave him if he was meeting a live person and having sex. Yes, it's possible Meri could have left with "Sam" if he were real, but it didn't happen and you can't judge someone on what they might have done. All of this sexting stuff is fairly new and I'm not sure where it falls but it sure as hell is not the same thing as engaging in sexual intercourse in my book.

I thought Meri asking to take Sol was a bit strange, but Meri has had a close relationship with the kids and maybe thought Robyn might enjoy some time before the next baby without Prince Sol hanging around. And to whoever said Meri owes something to the kids; being a good parent does not mean you cannot ever think of yourself. The best parents are the ones who are happy in their own life. Kody and Robyn are the only happy ones here. I don't know why Christine is bubbly lately, but I doubt it has anything to do with Kody paying attention to her. 

I think the Brown women are more susceptible to a catfish situation because unlike most Polyg families who live in rural areas or compounds without access to the world at large; these women live in Las Vegas and go on the computer and see what the rest of the world is like. Just because you 'signed up' for something doesn't mean you have to live with something that hurts your soul. Most women get married and assume they will be married forever, but sometimes people or circumstances change. To hate someone because they are depressed, lonely and trapped is the reason why many women stay in marriages that are either abusive, or just plain unfulfilling. I don't hate Mariah either. She loves both her parents and is confused as to why her mom is no longer happy. Most children of divorce feel the same way. I think she and Meri will repair their relationship. 

• Love 9

Meri has a huge family. Brothers sisters mother aunts uncles 

She needs to get off the pity pot...pull her big girl panties up and succeed in spite of what they all think of her right now, including her snotty daughter. 

Stop relying on others to validate her existence and bring her happiness. That's up to her to do. 

Get a fucking job already. 

• Love 13

Meri's family are all polygamists who no doubt believe one should be happy with a lord and master and numerous sister wives. I don't believe most sister wives are happy in any way. Robyn is only happy because she is treated like the sole and legal wife she is. If Kody actually treated each wife with love and attention, Robyn would be singing a different tune. Even on My Five Wives, where Brady did try to give equal attention, it was clear most if not all of the wives were depressed and very unhappy.

• Love 8
(edited)

I haven't read any other posts here so far so hopefully I'm not repeating what others have already said.

What I don't get is how Meri can try to downplay her relationship with "her" catfish.  She acts like it was just a friendship with a woman when the entire world knows exactly what it was and it was much more than that.  Do they think the audience is that stupid especially after all this time?  It's seriously insulting.

I liked Maddie's choice of dress (and good for her for going sleeveless) but did she have to go try it on with hair that looked like she hadn't washed or put a brush through it for a week?  I loved the reaction of the mothers when Caleb said he would be wearing "khakis".  Like who even wears khakis anymore much less to their own wedding?  I get it that the young'ns are more casual with their wedding attire but I just don't love it when the woman dresses to the nines and the guy comes like he's dressed to watch a ball game.  YUCK and it's overdone already.  Get a new trend, that one sucks.

Good for Robyn that she wears actual maternity tops.  So many young women today practically want to walk around showing off their exposed bellies.  Another trend that IMO needs to die.  So that was actually refreshing.

Meri's reaction was not because she feels they don't trust her, it's because she feels they're excluding her.  I think she thinks she is trying so hard to make do with her "demotion" from first wife that they should appreciate it and act like her feelings are important too.  But it looks like true to form, they're all just concerned with themselves and don't really care how Meri feels.  I suppose she shouldn't be surprised at this, after all they think she didn't really care how anyone felt when she was getting ready to desert them all for "Sam".  Meanwhile she wanted to desert them for making her feel excluded in the first place.  Meri feels like she is now forced to beg for crumbs from under the Kody/Robyn table when beforehand she had her way.  Why she couldn't see Robyn's reaction coming a mile away is beyond me.  It's like she wants to put herself in more humiliating situations and then go cry "poor little ol' me".  She should just buck up and go out on her own and not try to recoup some sense of belonging in that family because she's always going to feel on the outside, at least where Kody and Robyn are concerned.  But I think it would be a mess either way, really.  Anyway, I think she wanted to take Solomon with her as a kind of peace offering to Mariah so perhaps she could cool things somewhat between them.  I don't think she really wanted to take Solomon with her to help Solomon in any way.  So there's that too.  This business about her trying to "find her place" in the family now is BS, she just wants her top dog position back.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 5

I felt like Robyn telling Meri that Sol couldn't go with her was a power move.   The answer came out too quickly, without explanation, at first, then when Meri kept pushing, Robyn held firm.  I don't think Kody even understood what Robyn was talking about at first, but then went along with her.  Robyn offers up her other child to placate Meri - but there was no question who was in charge.   

TLC has to be picking up the tab for the wedding.  Vegas has so many venues, at much cheaper rates, so having this "destination wedding" is all for show.

I bet Kody only stays with Robyn, and once in awhile throws in a night w/Christine.   I doubt Janelle could care less if he stays or not.  When this whole thing came out about Meri, Kody's first reaction must have been how this was going to impact the show.  He could care less if she left or not - and if there would be a way to spin it in a positive light, he would have kicked her out - including her wet bar.     Nobody believes her story, but the only one who spoke the truth was her daughter.   The rest are trying to keep the show and their income from getting cancelled.   Without the TL money they would be crammed into one house somewhere in Wyoming.  

• Love 4

Ok I don't watch the show, but it's easy enough to grasp what happened by reading here and other places. 

Meri - I kinda feel sorry for her that it happened. As Celia said last week - she fell for a huge pile of crap that few would (well there apparently have been others, on one of the troll sites is a tale of one of Jackie's former victims who was kept strung along for years by "Dr. Jamie" and something would always come up.  Meri's always struck me as being pretty naive anyway, yes a bully and a liar but naive and with low self esteem. I still believe that she wanted Kody so much - her first and only boyfriend - that she agreed to let him take on additional wives. So she was willing to accept excuses from "Sam" why they didn't meet, because she'd been accepting shit from Kody. 

What I don't feel sorry for is this: she won't own up to it. She won't tell the truth. What REALLY happened. Admit to being head over heels in desire/lust.  Tell everything that happened. Instead she waffles and makes shit up about "protecting the family" from who is just a disturbed, reclusive, frustrated 40 year old woman. 

But maybe TLC is just stretching it out, for ratings you know, the confession comes later...

yeah right. 

• Love 7

Oh and another thing - I read that Mariah said on the show that she didnt go on that Disneyland trip back in March and Meri confirmed. So I guess the texts that "Sam" posted where Meri said that Mariah hurt her feet from the wrong shoes and Sam offered to buy Mariah some flip flops was (gasp) made up! 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Mariah is going to college, living on her own, working... but she is not paying for college.  Meri is doing that.  There were several episodes devoted to the fact that Meri was paying for Mariah to go to a private school while the rest of the kids had to go to public ones, were encouraged to go to UNLV and live at home.  The scholarships that Mariah got were not enough to make a difference in the cost of a private liberal college out of state.  Kody is not making those payments, Meri is out of her 'family' share.  So, Meri should have told Mariah to suck it up and be polite or really be on her own.

Seems to me that someone who has learned critical thinking and wants to distance themselves from the polygamous church should be able to recognize the harm it did to her Mother, and be a little understanding. Is she going to be better with her future patients or is she going to rip them a new one every time they don't meet her standards of a model patient?

Her mother admits no wrongdoing even though she publicly humiliated her daughter and family and carried on an affair while her daughter stayed in her home. Last I checked, your parents paying for college (and she gets quite a hefty scholarship and now works, so she is at least partially contributing) didn't require you to be ok with that. According to her mother, the church is wonderful and not harmful in any way. 

• Love 4

The Browns absolutely think that the viewers believe what they say, and only what they say. They change their stories each week, and think we had forgotten what was said the week before. It's part of the reason I had to stop watching.

The problem is, many viewers don't read about them on the internet, or really follow them on Twitter, etc. You see it when watching the live tweets, with people attacking the people who tweet truths with comments like "Don't watch" and "Turn the channel", etc. After the "adoption" story, there seemed to be a mass exodus of real fans, not hatewatchers, who laid into Robyn and Kody for "stealing" David's kids, and it was beautiful to see. Until they did something that made the viewers question if they were being lied to, those viewers didn't see any reason to search for the truth, and once they did, there was a bit of a backlash.

I really think that Meri getting catfished got them this season. When the flirting between Meri and psycho started, we talked about it on CJ's blog. In that first month, she was being tweeted that Sam wasn't real by his other victims, and the result was they took their relationship to text messaging and off of Twitter. Meri probably just blocked the people telling her Sam didn't exist, because the Browns block everyone who says anything that isn't 100% positive. It sounds like Mariah also said something to Meri about the relationship playing out on social media, and Robyn commented about Sam on her FB page, and had to know that people were saying Sam was really psycho. I found it and I don't follow any of them.

Over the next months, as it became clearer and clearer that Sam was fake, Meri continued her romance. The psychological games the psycho was playing on her were cruel, and she has my sympathies for that. But I'm having a hard time sympathizing completely since she is, in essence, lying to me while demanding sympathy, privacy, and respect. She is doing the same to her family, and I see why Mariah was angry and was not ready to talk about it. Since I'm no longer a viewer, she hardly owes me the courtesy of being truthful while I watch her show, but she does owe her family that, and it doesn't sound like they are receiving it.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Meri - I kinda feel sorry for her that it happened. As Celia said last week - she fell for a huge pile of crap that few would (well there apparently have been others, on one of the troll sites is a tale of one of Jackie's former victims who was kept strung along for years by "Dr. Jamie" and something would always come up.  Meri's always struck me as being pretty naive anyway, yes a bully and a liar but naive and with low self esteem. I still believe that she wanted Kody so much - her first and only boyfriend - that she agreed to let him take on additional wives. So she was willing to accept excuses from "Sam" why they didn't meet,

Reading this, I remembered when I was 20 and SUPER naive.  I had a "boyfriend" who was forever missing dates and had excuses which at the time seemed reasonable enough....and for a long time I accepted them.  Eventually I got fed up and stopped seeing him....and years later I found out he is gay.  But anyway, the point is, I was very naive and he was pretty...Meri seems to be naive and Sam was a knight in shining armor.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Admit to being head over heels in desire/lust

May not even have been lust.  Might have simply been enjoying the attention from a "man."   

• Love 3

Meri is alone, because she has isolated herself for the past 25 years. She's made a lot of efforts  to put herself on a pedestal as the Alpa Wife, making sure the other wives and children know Meri is superior. She received more money, more time, more control,  more everything. 

I thjnk her intention was for them to envy her, but they just grew to resent and exclude her. You can't play Princess and then expect the people you called peasants to want to interact with you. 

She did it to herself. On purpose. I have no pity. 

• Love 20
(edited)
16 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

I thought Meri's reaction was very over-the-top when Robin and Kody told her 'no', but I also think she's feeling rejected by the family in general and being told she couldn't take Solomon made her panic. At the same time, it annoyed me that Robin had to pacify her...like Solomon is her child. She has a right to say he can't go out of state at this moment. I think they would have been happy to send him if he were much older.

I've always found Mariah to be a big brat. I see why she's not quick to forgive her mother, but at the same time, there's a smugness to her that just isn't cute. I think what Meri did was stupid, but I also realize that she was/is very lonely and that she doesn't find her current situation emotionally fulfilling. For decades, her mother has been living a lifestyle that has left her (and Christine) broken and confused. She's no longer legally married to Kody and she lives alone in her home because her only child is in college. She has a lot of free time and a lot of time to think about her life. It's clear Meri is very depressed. I think with time, Mariah will realize the impact that lifestyle has had on her mother's well-being.

The eyebrow comment was petty and in poor taste. If someone like 7-8 years younger (not sure how old Breanna is?) than Mariah can see that, I know Mariah knows it was uncalled for. Meri needs to let Mariah know that she will not stand for that.

Meri feeling rejected by the family is one of the consequences of her deceit. Does she not understand why Robyn may say no? Does Robyn not have a right to say no to taking her child on a 4 hour trip for 3 days?? Regardless of her past sneaky questionable behavior? How DARE she slam Robyn's door when Robyn denied her her child!! She is so damn entitled!!

also, if Meri got off her lazy ass, put away her phone, got out of her big, lonely, child-free house and got a job or volunteered at a shelter or something useful, she would meet tons of people, maybe even a nice new REAL man that she can then honestly change her life around with. And get out of this depression and depressing life. She's in a 500k prison. 

Maraiah felt bad for the eyebrow comment. She apologized in the end, can't really blame her for lashing out a bit.... She's human

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 7

Holy crap, Meri is such a martyr! This episode made me re-think blaming Robyn for the legal marriage change. I really wonder if the divorce was Meri's idea, so she would have something else to be emotional over. Even the whole "empty nest" thing is a little over-blown, when it seems Kody volunteered for years to do fertility treatments, and Meri turned him down. And the whole Solomon thing was so unfair. He's 4, and I wouldn't be allowing her to take him for days either. Especially when Meri only wanted him along to distract Mariah from being pissed off at her.

The Browns don't have a single child who wants to follow their way of life. That says a lot about polygamy. And a lot about the truth of the Brown's marriage and what their children have witnessed.

And Meri, you didn't "make a friend". You were having an online affair. If you would own that, perhaps your daughter would want to talk to you. Given that she has recently abandoned her polygamist aspirations herself, she might be willing to listen if you would come clean.

• Love 10