Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: Unforgiven

• Start Topic

Meri tries to find a gift for Kody in hopes that it will help make things right after the recent incident; Madison searches for a wedding dress and ends up finding one; Mariah distances herself from Meri and the polygamist church.

(edited)

1.  Kody is sure a prima donna about the wedding, concerned about what HE will wear and look good in.   Kody - it's not about you.  2.  At the sonography appt, I wondered if he went to each wife's appt with each child.  I have a hard time envisioning that.  And he felt the jaw so he knows the baby will be pretty.  OK.  3.  Meri's hurt about being turned down to take Sol with her.  Sorry...gotta side with Robyn here and Robyn should NOT be made to feel bad about it.  NOBODY but me or my husband drove my son on the highways as a child.  If there was an accident, i wanted to be there!  I know that wasn't Robyn's reason, but whatever reason, HER PREROGATIVE.  4.  Though I get very tired of "worry face," I do think Robyn's face looks much nicer fuller.  5.  I believe that Meri's overreaction to being turned down is just another symptom of empty nester and depression.  All things are going to hurt at this point....even the most innocuous occurrence.  

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 13
(edited)

Wow. Meri's complete meltdown over taking Sol on the trip was effin' bizarre. I love how they all seem so clueless as to why a, what, 4 year old, whose life is about to change with the addition of a new sibling might be a little clingy towards his mom. 

Edited by Katydid
Spelling
  • Love 22

The jackass braying at the top of the episode said it all.

Meri wanted Sol for purely selfish reason. She wanted to use him as a buffer between her and Mariah. 

I got no problem with Robyn and Kody saying no. Taking a toddler across state lines while mom is heavily pregnant and expecting any minute now doesn't not sound like a good idea. 

Yeah, Meri, Mariah is mad about your online 'friendship.' She makes it sound so platonic and innocent like she met a bad apple on a knitting forum. Stop with the lies.

Yeah, tree paintings are gonna make things all better.  

I hope she isn't paying good money for art classes. By all means have a hobby but what happened to going back to college? 

• Love 16

Wow!  So now Meriah doesn't want to do plural marriage.  Well college did her some good.  Now, if only there was some sort of philosophy that included forgiveness.....if only.   Unless we've been kept hugely in the dark, I don't see now Meri's "friendship" was all about Meriah.  It was all about Meri's sad and lonely unfulfilled life.  Perhaps Meriah could have a bit of understanding for her....or at least not turn it around into Meriah as victim.  Meriah came across as a huge brat.   And, for all the questionable cosmetic and fashion choices we've discussed about Meri, her eyebrows have never been a problem.  

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, Granny58 said:

Wow!  So now Meriah doesn't want to do plural marriage.  Well college did her some good.  Now, if only there was some sort of philosophy that included forgiveness.....if only.   Unless we've been kept hugely in the dark, I don't see now Meri's "friendship" was all about Meriah.  It was all about Meri's sad and lonely unfulfilled life.  Perhaps Meriah could have a bit of understanding for her....or at least not turn it around into Meriah as victim.  Meriah came across as a huge brat.   And, for all the questionable cosmetic and fashion choices we've discussed about Meri, her eyebrows have never been a problem.  

The bolded was just Mariah showing us how mean she is. Bitchy is what that was. I understand her mother's shenanigans embarrassed her likely as it was all public. But her turning it into it being all about her is a bit much. I find it really low for her to know her mom is likely persona non grata in the cuddle sac right  now already and yet cannot give her a  ounce of support or loyalty. It just shows her mean, entitled nature. 

On the plus side,  I loved her explanation about gaining critical thinking skills away from home in college. 

Go college!!!

• Love 10
(edited)

First off--the picking out of the wedding dress was a little strange. Everyone seemed bored and not really excited about any of it. Someone was on their phone half the time...just seemed a little off. But I did like the dress she picked out. 

Taking soloman--I get Robyn saying no...as a mom...I would say no too. But at the same time, they were quick to say no. They make a big deal about the sister wives being moms to the other kids, so why can't they entrust the child to another mom for a few days? Also seemed like Kody tried to oversell it. Like how he can hardly take the kid anywhere without a meltdown for mom. Well maybe he does need a trip away from mom. But really I would not have let her either--I just was not liking their responses and reasoning.

ok--the timing was way off on this episode.  The new baby has not been born, but looking at the wedding venues it looked to be spring time. No coats, green grass and trees. This is December in Montana? I've never been, but really the sequencing seemed way off. I also looked it up and it is a 14 hour drive from Las Vegas to Billings---long drive with Kody! Wonder why they wouldn't fly.

And lastly, I have never been a fan of Mariah. But when she said that she learned critical thinking in college and no longer agreed with her old church and beliefs--I was like--yes! She seems a little smarter than the average bear (Brown--ha!) now.  She was a little bitchy to her mom, but she gets the whole cat fishing things and KNOWS that her mom was basically having an emotional affair and getting ready to leave. Even if Meri cannot admit it--her daughter knows the truth and is pissed.

Edited by MoodyGirl
Spelling
  • Love 13

I don't watch (I've tried but it's just sooo boring! and the snark here is better) but I don't really see the problem with taking Sol on a trip.  

Especially since they are trying to sell us that they are all moms to their sister wife's kids.  And frankly, I've seen the result of Robyn's helicopter parenting on those two girls and if King Sol has a chance, he needs some outside influence. 

As for Meriah, it seems like if she really learned critical thinking and now understands what a crock this whole lifestyle is, she would be way more understanding of how Meri got into this situation.  

I'm not saying having an emotional affair is all right, but as someone who has been cheated on, I just can't find it in myself to blame Meri.  I don't think she truly realized what she was signing up for.  She was completely head over heels (and not the sharpest tool in the shed to begin with) for Kody.  I believe that she convinced herself that he wouldn't really want other wives once they were married and the babies started coming.  Of course, that didn't happen. 

• Love 6

Meri is such a drama queen.  It drives me bonkers.  I'm not a fan of Robyn's, but she showed a lot more patience with Meri over the Sol thing than I would have. Meri makes even something as innocuous as the no-Saul/Utah trip into a pity party ("They don't trust me...")

I agree with some of the posts above that Mariah showed both maturity and brattiness at the same time in this episode.  Good for her for calling out her mom for the "inappropriate" relationship, but why was it all about her?  I think that shows a narcissism she inherited from her mother.  Meri's affair embarrassed and betrayed the whole family, esp. her husband, but Mariah made it sound like it happened to her only.  I think this isolated and inward-looking attitude is even more proof that they're not one big family, but four separate families. 

And yes, it was an affair, and it's hilarious watching all the ways Meri tries to describe it as anything but.  Speaking of which, it was pretty funny to hear Mariah talk about "bananas" in this very episode.  Of all the fruits to pick...

• Love 13

Meri took Mariah to Disneyland last summer to meet Sam.  Of course Jackie/Lindsey showed up instead, cause, ya know..Sam was busy.

Meri appears to be forgetting that part. Of COURSE Mariah is pissed...she was drug through the mess...hellooooo

• Love 21

I don't pay as much attention to Janelle's weight as some, but she looked nine months pregnant on the couch with Kody.  It was a little surprising.  Earlier in the episode, they showed the five adults walking into the restaurant with the infamous Meri may be leaving speech.  Janelle was much smaller there.

Mariah used to be a cute girl.  I think she and Maddie do themselves no favors by dying their blonde hair dark.  At least try Mykelti's red once or twice.

Mariah's not comfortable talking to her mother about the catfish thing, but she's fine talking to the viewing audience.

I'm an only child and I would never hang my mother out to dry alone and without support.  Therefore, I would love for Mariah to finally lower herself to returning to Meri's home.  In her bedroom, she finds a closed door with "BREANNA" written on it.  Have fun rooming with Aurora. 

• Love 7

Good lord, Meri's constant crying is getting old!  If I was that miserable, I'd move out of the cul de sac, find a nice little house, get a job and leave Robin and Christine to vie for the douchebag!s attention. I don't think Janelle even cares enough to compete with the others. 

i can understand Mariah being upset with what Meri did, but making all about herself? She needs to cut her mom some slack, and Meri needs to stop misrepresenting what she did.  If "Sam" had been a man, she would have been gone in a heartbeat.

• Love 6

It was hard seeing Mariah's huge Lehi bedroom.  I remember Janelle's kids being crammed in like sardines.  I'm sure Christine's were just as bad.

I typically think most women look better with shorter hair.  Meri looked better when it was longer.  It was healthy and pretty.

• Love 2

That whole Meri thing was ridiculous. she acted like a spoiled child.  How was Meri going to have a heart to heart with Mariah and talk about all those         personal things with Solomon running around.  I had to laugh at them offering Breanna in place of Solomon, as if they had to appease Meri in some way.   Also, Meri is back on the where is my place in the family kick.  Didn't we go thru this before a few years ago?  Isn't that what sort of lead to the "catfish" situation, she was searching for something?  Meri said she was never going to run off with another guy, not sure I believe that, sort of think if Sam were real and the whole thing were real, she would be gone.  I wonder if Kody had a conversation with Mariah, or is he to busy with Robyn.  Mariah is hurt and embarrassed.  I agree with the poster who said know one seemed excited when Maddie tried on gowns.  Why was Robyn's niece there, she was the one playing on her phone.  I hope Maddie can fit her own little sister Savannah into the bridal party somehow.  I wonder if we get to see the wedding.  

• Love 5
(edited)

Yeah, Meri, Mariah is mad about your online 'friendship.' She makes it sound so platonic and innocent like she met a bad apple on a knitting forum. Stop with the lies.

If I was Mariah I would be pissed watching this show where Meri is just claiming the whole catfish thing was about a "friendship". 

This episode is one of the few times I thought Mariah did NOT come across like a brat. I thought she was the most honest about the situation and the only one to call out Meri on the fact that even though Meri's catfish relationship wasn't physical or "real" it was a rationship nonetheless. I think Mariah should feel betrayed and it's fair to take some time to figure things out. I thought it was sweet how she apologized at the end for picking on Meri's eyebrows.

This. So much of this. I was glad Mariah called Meri out on the fact that to Meri this was a "real" relationship. I think Meri put Mariah in an awkward situation if Mariah in fact knew that she was having some sort of relationship online, or as Meri would like to call it "friendship". Also regardless of what I think of Kody, I do think Mariah loves her dad. She may think he is an idiot, but doesn't everyone? So she may feel betrayed on his behalf. I have no idea, just speculating, but i am fine with Mariah being angry at Meri. I am not her daughter and I am pissed that Meri is misrepresenting her "friendship" with her catfish.

I could not stop laughing at Meri saying that Mariah was mad because she thought that Meri was going to take off with her catfish and that was not the case. No Meri, that was exactly the case, but your good-looking multimillionaire did not exist so that nixed those plans.

Apparently nothing says forgiveness like an ugly painting. Then again ugly paintings are probably on par for this lot. It looked like Meri was basically doing the wine and canvas thing without the wine and privately. I was more into the wine and less into the canvassing the only time I did it.

I did like the first two wedding venues that Maddie and co. toured. I did not really see much of the last one to get an impression. I kind of assumed that Maddie either already picked her dress and they did the whole thing over or with more of the family for filming, but who knows.

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 15
(edited)

Oh my gosh just starting to watch the painting lessons , just NO!!!!   Fine you want your paint nite teacher to give you " lessons" but never force your art on anyone else.   This isn't crap Thankgiving stuff you can shove into the garage why would anyone want to hang that shit in their house?  Nothing says artist in that instructors house. 

So sick of her weeping I could take up serious drinking while watching. I agree with the poster who doubts Kody went to any ob/ gyn appointments with any other wife. He is just so taken with Robin asking her about what her contractions are.   All those kids and you don't know the drill?? 

Max from cat fishing show would rip into about her participation in the emotional affair. 

I need to collect myself. 

Edited by athousandclowns
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

could not stop laughing at Meri saying that Mariah was mad because she thought that Meri was going to take off with her catfish and that was not the case. No Meri, that was exactly the case, but your good-looking multimillionaire did not exist so that nixed those plans.

Exactly.  Plus, she outright said she was up and leaving.  It's in the clip the show keeps airing.  Does she really think viewers are that dumb?  

• Love 5

I didn't watch the episode but followed the live tweets over on CJ's blog. It sounded to me like Mariah was one of the people telling Meri that Sam wasn't on the up and up. If true, and she was ignored and then continually lied to about it, I can see her taking it personally. She seemed to take everything personally, in general, so this would be a big thing to get over. 

Especially since Meri is still lying and trying to recreate history. It sounds like Mariah listed to voicemails and read the texts. Does Meri expect her to just ignore the fact she was going to introduce Mariah to her new "friend" at Disneyland? I'm thinking there are quite a few lies told to Mariah during that time period.

• Love 16

Does Meri expect her to just ignore the fact she was going to introduce Mariah to her new "friend" at Disneyland? I'm thinking there are quite a few lies told to Mariah during that time period.

I concur about the lies to Mariah. I think there is more to it. Can you imagine that Disneyland trip if there actually was a Sam? Was Meri going to say "Here's your new stepdad! Oops! I mean my new friend." to Mariah?

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Christina said:

I didn't watch the episode but followed the live tweets over on CJ's blog. It sounded to me like Mariah was one of the people telling Meri that Sam wasn't on the up and up. 

Maybe, but keep in mind that Meri didn't know she was being catfished for months, so I think it's more likely that Mariah was angry at her mother and warning her about the "friend" not because he maybe wasn't real, but because he and her mother were too intimate.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

I don't pay as much attention to Janelle's weight as some, but she looked nine months pregnant on the couch with Kody.  It was a little surprising.  Earlier in the episode, they showed the five adults walking into the restaurant with the infamous Meri may be leaving speech.  Janelle was much smaller there.

I noticed this too. When Janelle sits on the couch she looks bigger than ever before. I think she's wearing more form fitting clothes as a result of her weight loss so maybe certain things are more noticeable. She still tweets about working out but I know she stopped working out with the personal trainer that had been on a few times. He must have gone to the same place as the mysisterwifescloset business story line. Is that still a thing?

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think Mariah was a brat at all. Her anger is 100% justified. Her parents dragged her into this show at a young age AND told her all her life that polygamy is the one true way, religiously mandated, etc. They brainwashed her and supported her while she was publicly religious. And then her mother has a public affair...during time she spent with Mariah? Mariah is young, so she's definitely looked online and found those voicemails and photos. Her mother who told her for her entire life that polygamy is the one true way/real form of marital love is online faking blow jobs in photos and sending sexy voicemails to a stranger for almost a year, then faking victimhood and begging for pity? That's humiliating and disturbing. How can Mariah "forgive" Meri when she doesn't admit at all what she actually did?!?!

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 22
3 hours ago, MoodyGirl said:

ok--the timing was way off on this episode.  The new baby has not been born, but looking at the wedding venues it looked to be spring time. No coats, green grass and trees. This is December in Montana? I've never been, but really the sequencing seemed way off. I also looked it up and it is a 14 hour drive from Las Vegas to Billings---long drive with Kody! Wonder why they wouldn't fly.

I'm sure that there is a butt load of editing that goes on.  In the segments with the midwife, Robyn is 37 wks pregnant, but I think the segments with the Meri/Solomon implosion were from much earlier in the pregnancy.  Who knows when the trips were, as they film everything, then edit and splice to fit the theme of the week.  If you try to keep things in a context or time line, you'll go insane!  

I was furious about the whole Meri/Solomon thing.  Solly is still a toddler.  His mom is about to bring another baby into the family, who, in his eyes, is going to replace his current family status and take her attention away from him at the very time a toddler is more attached to his mom.  You would think that with all the children this group has collectively had, they would recognize this, and not turn it into such an ordeal.  Meri should have respected their decision much more readily than she did.  Yes, she has only one child, but she helped raise many more.  Besides, if she was going to visit Mariah to try to put their relationship right, why did she feel compelled to take another child with her to act as a buffer?  Didn't she just say that they try to keep the kids out of the adult family issues??

Is there any doubt whose child Mariah is?  Her speech and cry patterns have Meri written all over them!  Mariah has every right to feel betrayed by her mother.  I felt she is the one who acted with much more maturity, the eyebrow comment not withstanding.  (and the way she was laughing in her hand, not sure that wasn't a set up or part of the "non-scripting.") 

And I'm sorry, but as soon as they started the painting segments, and the paintings in Meri's house, the first thing that popped into my head was - 'Painting With a Twist.'  Pretty sure her "private lessons" were just another contrived scenario where they hired an instructor from one of those paint and drink classes rather than have to show the class and have to get signed releases from all the participants.  I have been to a couple of them, and the way the instructor was painting and telling Meri to paint is exactly like they do in those classes.  

I am so over the catfish SL.  Can we just move on?  I just ffw through all the replays of it anyway.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, auntl said:

I don't like Robyn at all, but I don't blame her for not letting Meri take Sol. I wouldn't have let my child go either.

I really think that Meri might as well leave the family. The only reason that they want her to stay right now is to keep the premise of the show going.

Meri finally went too far with her selfishness. I don't think her dirty trick games are going to work anymore. They are pretending that they buy her nonsense "threatened" story for the show, but they know the truth, just like viewers do. Once the show is done, I think that the family will be done with Meri.

I'm sure that Mariah will eventually get over this and go visit Meri at her home outside of the family fold.

I would be surprised if the rest of them could care less if she goes. She has been causing trouble in that family for a long time.

I think you're right.  All my comments are predicated on the idea that this is an actual reaction and not fictional plot line.  

I was glad to see that Maddie didn't pick a "modest" dress just because that's the culture she grew up in. She really is doing things her own way. Good for her. I thought the dress she settled on flattered her shape nicely, and most importantly - she glowed in it. A bride has to feel comfortable and be happy. I also love how she told Kody that she didn't want him to come because she wanted to surprise him on the big day, like Caleb. Bahahaha. No, she really just didn't want to deal with his annoying ass. But nice play, Madison. You must have learned to 'handle" him from Christine. 

I really liked the venue she settled on as well. The ranch was nice, but the hideaway place was just beautiful. The Park place was cool, but not for a wedding. I think in real time we're only a week out from the big day? I hope we get some pictures - especially of Kody dancing. 

So now Meri is doing art therapy. And she has come up with a lovely similar, but unique, gift idea for everyone. Like that hasn't been done before in this family. This is her way of saying - "I broke my commitment to you guys and was ready to run off with this hot piece of ass. But turns out, he is a she! So, sorry! Here are some trees, we're cool now, right?"

The whole Solomon conversation was ten kinds of awkward. At first, I really thought Robyn was BSing about Sol's issues, that she was just reaching to think of an excuse. I figured she probably really DIDN'T trust Meri. But then they agreed to let Brianna go, so who knows? Of course Sol is the special prince. It's quite likely that their thought process went like this - "What? No! You cannot take the golden child 3 hours out of state, you crazy internet ho! - Oh crap, now you're going to sulk and make us all miserable for weeks? Okay, take one of our girl children, they're a dime a dozen." 

But it is quite plausible that Sol really is having anxiety and being clingy. That's pretty typical when a new baby is on the way. But of course Kody had to act like it was the weirdest thing ever. Like he's never seen that before. 

Either way, Meri should have accepted Robyn's decision and not tried to argue with her, or sulk like a petulant toddler. I don't even buy her BS about not feeling like she's really one of Sol's moms. I think she just really wanted to use him as her human shield against Mariah. 

Speaking of which, that entire thing was a letdown. It looked like so much more from the previews. But all we got was, "Hey, are you ready to talk now? No, okay, cool." I thought Meri was so tough and strong. Bitch has no backbone. I get why Mariah is pissed. She was lied to and her family was compromised. However, she is being a real bitch about it to her mother. That eyebrow comment? That was just nasty. She totally did that in front of everyone (and the cameras) to embarrass her mother! I would have taken her outside and really let her have it - "I get that you're upset about what I did, and when you're ready to talk, I'm here. But in the meantime, I will not stand for any disrespect."  But, of course, Meri is totally scared of her own daughter. 

Final thought - OF COURSE Kody wants a tax deduction baby. When WAS "baby sister" born? I hope like hell it was in 2016. Also, stop calling your own daughter "baby sister". It's just weird.

• Love 19
9 hours ago, MoodyGirl said:

First off--the picking out of the wedding dress was a little strange. Everyone seemed bored and not really excited about any of it. Someone was on their phone half the time...just seemed a little off. But I did like the dress she picked out. 

Taking soloman--I get Robyn saying no...as a mom...I would say no too. But at the same time, they were quick to say no. They make a big deal about the sister wives being moms to the other kids, so why can't they entrust the child to another mom for a few days? Also seemed like Kody tried to oversell it. Like how he can hardly take the kid anywhere without a meltdown for mom. Well maybe he does need a trip away from mom. But really I would not have let her either--I just was not liking their responses and reasoning.

And lastly, I have never been a fan of Mariah. But when she said that she learned critical thinking in college and no longer agreed with her old church and beliefs--I was like--yes! She seems a little smarter than the average bear (Brown--ha!) now.  She was a little bitchy to her mom, but she gets the whole cat fishing things and KNOWS that her mom was basically having an emotional affair and getting ready to leave. Even if Meri cannot admit it--her daughter knows the truth and is pissed.

Yes, and the rejection of plural marriage due to her critical thinking was awesome....love it.  But let's apply that critical thinking toward her mom's situation, although admittedly some things you can't really understand until you have some wear on your tires.  For example, empty nester.....SO HARD!   Add to that the infertility (believe me....the hurt lingers) while the newest wife (for whom you divorced your "legal" husband) is still having kids and Doofus' obvious preference for the current broodmare, a critical thinker could try to wear those shoes and understand WHY a woman would WANT to leave the relationship - a relationship she is already "legally" out of.  yeah, I'm sure Meriah will eventually come around but would do so sooner if she applied those critical thinking skills here....or at least empathy.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Lm2162 said:

I don't think Mariah was a brat at all. Her anger is 100% justified. Her parents dragged her into this show at a young age AND told her all her life that polygamy is the one true way, religiously mandated, etc. They brainwashed her and supported her while she was publicly religious. And then her mother has a public affair...during time she spent with Mariah? Mariah is young, so she's definitely looked online and found those voicemails and photos. Her mother who told her for her entire life that polygamy is the one true way/real form of marital love is online faking blow jobs in photos and sending sexy voicemails to a stranger for almost a year, then faking victimhood and begging for pity? That's humiliating and disturbing. How can Mariah "forgive" Meri when she doesn't admit at all what she actually did?!?!

I think it is an age thing honestly.  I believe a single M/S marriage for life (extenuating circumstances aside) is the correct and religious way to go BUT if I found out my mom had been acting like Meri had, and it wasn't a pattern of fooling around, I would delve deeper into the motivation.  But I'm an old fart already, not young and idealistic.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Granny58 said:

Wow!  So now Meriah doesn't want to do plural marriage.  Well college did her some good.

I'm skeptical about this really being due to college. Isn't her college pretty conservative? (Forgive me if I'm wrong.) I wonder if it's really more about opening her eyes to how horrible this life has been for her mother. And then I further wonder if that's not what's behind Mariah's strong animosity towards her mother. Meri burst her polygamy bubble, so now she's resentful towards her for it.

• Love 3
(edited)

Pretty conservative in a polygamist community or elsewhere?  That would be 2 different poles.  I agree....I'm suspicious that finally understanding what polygamy is about and she spent her whole life glamorizing it, to have it all crash now, may be what is really bugging Mariah.  THAT perhaps is the lie that angers her.

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, fountain said:

I think Val was being really immature and childish at the party.  Sure it is uncomfortable but you put a smile on your face say hi to a few people and act like an adult.  My guess is she has always been attractive enough to get away with being a pouty spoil sport.  Sure the ex seemed a bit much but you smile and treat her nicely and move on.  Too much of that party was about Vale, if you aren't interested in kids don't date a guy with a kid.

Did Kody get married again? What does The Legal Wife think of Val? LOL

1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

I was glad to see that Maddie didn't pick a "modest" dress just because that's the culture she grew up in. She really is doing things her own way. Good for her. I thought the dress she settled on flattered her shape nicely, and most importantly - she glowed in it. A bride has to feel comfortable and be happy. I also love how she told Kody that she didn't want him to come because she wanted to surprise him on the big day, like Caleb. Bahahaha. No, she really just didn't want to deal with his annoying ass. But nice play, Madison. You must have learned to 'handle" him from Christine. 

Amen to that. I was waiting for the "modesty alterations specialist" to walk in with a white 3/4 length sleeve t-shirt and talk about how lovely it will be when she sews it into the top of the gown and Bedazzles a few stones to the cuff. 

So now Meri is doing art therapy. And she has come up with a lovely similar, but unique, gift idea for everyone. Like that hasn't been done before in this family. This is her way of saying - "I broke my commitment to you guys and was ready to run off with this hot piece of ass. But turns out, he is a she! So, sorry! Here are some trees, we're cool now, right?"

And the painting "style" is DEFINITELY one of those Wine and Canvas things that they have around here where 40 women sit elbow to elbow copying the woman at the front of the room....and hopefully getting plastered at the same time. I can see Janelle taking hers and saying, "Uh, thanks. I know exactly where to put this."

The whole Solomon conversation was ten kinds of awkward. At first, I really thought Robyn was BSing about Sol's issues, that she was just reaching to think of an excuse. I figured she probably really DIDN'T trust Meri. But then they agreed to let Brianna go, so who knows? Of course Sol is the special prince. It's quite likely that their thought process went like this - "What? No! You cannot take the golden child 3 hours out of state, you crazy internet ho! - Oh crap, now you're going to sulk and make us all miserable for weeks? Okay, take one of our girl children, they're a dime a dozen." 

But it is quite plausible that Sol really is having anxiety and being clingy. That's pretty typical when a new baby is on the way. But of course Kody had to act like it was the weirdest thing ever. Like he's never seen that before. 

Either way, Meri should have accepted Robyn's decision and not tried to argue with her, or sulk like a petulant toddler. I don't even buy her BS about not feeling like she's really one of Sol's moms. I think she just really wanted to use him as her human shield against Mariah. 

I went back and forth, alternately hating all of them, which coincidentally, is the same feeling that I had during the Meri/Mariah scenes later. 

Okay, Meri, be real. Did you really think that the King and the Queen Bee were actually letting the Crown Prince of Polygamy out of their sight for three hours, let alone three days? Who would they fawn over, worship and lift towards the heaven's al la The Lion King, each day? But, hey, you can take one of Robyn's other Stage Five Clingers, that they don't give as much of a shit about. I'm just thankful that they didn't suggest taking Aurora. In fact, I'm amazed.

But, I do think that "Solly's" clingyness is being exaggerated slightly. Robyn and Kody could have sold it a littleby saying, "Can we think about it for a bit," knowing that they're SUPPOSED to be going along with the "all the wives are the mothers to all of the kids" bullshit. Especially knowing Meri's psychological state of the moment and knowing that she'd take offense at the immediate "no." Unless, of course, you're a passive aggressive manipulator who WANTS to continue to punish Meri, but not let a clueless idiot like Kody catch on. 

Speaking of which, that entire thing was a letdown. It looked like so much more from the previews. But all we got was, "Hey, are you ready to talk now? No, okay, cool." I thought Meri was so tough and strong. Bitch has no backbone. I get why Mariah is pissed. She was lied to and her family was compromised. However, she is being a real bitch about it to her mother. That eyebrow comment? That was just nasty. She totally did that in front of everyone (and the cameras) to embarrass her mother! I would have taken her outside and really let her have it - "I get that you're upset about what I did, and when you're ready to talk, I'm here. But in the meantime, I will not stand for any disrespect."  But, of course, Meri is totally scared of her own daughter. 

Final thought - OF COURSE Kody wants a tax deduction baby. When WAS "baby sister" born? I hope like hell it was in 2016. Also, stop calling your own daughter "baby sister". It's just weird.

HAHA. Ariella was born on January 10, 2016. (according to Wiki) Can we give the two youngest Brown children their own abbreviated name instead of typing it out? I vote for Aerosol.

Mariah. On one hand, I agree that she should be pissed at her mother. On the other hand, boo-freaking-hoo. You're too upset to discuss it with her, but have NO PROBLEM venting your spoiled spleen to television cameras and telling a million strangers?  How about a little realization, that the polygamist lifestyle that you used to covet, is a lonely thing, and that the older wives feel abandoned and alone when Daddy Sperminator moves on to a hotter, younger thing? That catfishing goes on EVERYWHERE? Even to a smart, college student on his way to an NFL career? (I know that kid isn't an idiot. Naive and trusting, but not stupid. I know this because of my place of employment during THAT whole catfishing situation) 

And her comment that Meri should have thought about how it would affect Mariah before she got herself into that situation? Really? But I guess when you spent your whole life with your mom all to yourself (as opposed to your half siblings) and you're used to being the center of the freaking universe. Your mom was stupid. She was lonely. She was stuck with Kody and had just been maritally catfished out of her place as the legal wife. You were gone. She made a bad decision. Show some freaking compassion. Maybe stop blaming her and look to those around her that made her feel undesirable and desperate enough to fall for a lie. Better yet, blame the piece of shit that preyed upon her. She's in Oklahoma.

And that bedroom in Lehi? Holy crap. Mariah could have hosted pick up basketball games in that room. Tell me again how hard your life has been? I'd be more embarrassed by your father's antics than you mother's. 

Do you have a right to be pissed at your mother? Absolutely. Do you have the right to speak to her the way you did on camera and humiliate her more? No. The eyebrows comment? Petty and childish. Evidently, college hasn't taught you everything. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 21
(edited)
13 hours ago, Granny58 said:

1.  Kody is sure a prima donna about the wedding, concerned about what HE will wear and look good in.   Kody - it's not about you.  2.  At the sonography appt, I wondered if he went to each wife's appt with each child.  I have a hard time envisioning that.  And he felt the jaw so he knows the baby will be pretty.  OK.  3.  Meri's hurt about being turned down to take Sol with her.  Sorry...gotta side with Robyn here and Robyn should NOT be made to feel bad about it.  NOBODY but me or my husband drove my son on the highways as a child.  If there was an accident, i wanted to be there!  I know that wasn't Robyn's reason, but whatever reason, HER PREROGATIVE.  4.  Though I get very tired of "worry face," I do think Robyn's face looks much nicer fuller.  5.  I believe that Meri's overreaction to being turned down is just another symptom of empty nester and depression.  All things are going to hurt at this point....even the most innocuous occurrence.  

I believe Meri's overreaction is actually par for the course with Meri. I really think she has a hard time with the word "no" coming from anybody for anything. She was childish and demanding the same way when deciding on house details during the house purchases. "I want, I want I want!" I'm sure it also contributed to the issues she had with Janelle when she had to learn to share share her life with another woman. Her bratty daughter is the same way.

i actually couldn't BELIEVE her attitude when they said no Solomon! Wow! And NO WAY would I have allowed my 4 year old to go on an hours long highway journey with an only woman! No way in hell! I wouldn't have allowed Breanna either.

Edited by VedaPierce
Auraura is not Breanna
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

The jackass braying at the top of the episode said it all.

Meri wanted Sol for purely selfish reason. She wanted to use him as a buffer between her and Mariah. 

I got no problem with Robyn and Kody saying no. Taking a toddler across state lines while mom is heavily pregnant and expecting any minute now doesn't not sound like a good idea. 

Yeah, tree paintings are gonna make things all better.  

I hope she isn't paying good money for art classes. By all means have a hobby but what happened to going back to college? 

LOVE this post! 

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Did Kody get married again? What does The Legal Wife think of Val? LOL

Amen to that. I was waiting for the "modesty alterations specialist" to walk in with a white 3/4 length sleeve t-shirt and talk about how lovely it will be when she sews it into the top of the gown and Bedazzles a few stones to the cuff. 

And the painting "style" is DEFINITELY one of those Wine and Canvas things that they have around here where 40 women sit elbow to elbow copying the woman at the front of the room....and hopefully getting plastered at the same time. I can see Janelle taking hers and saying, "Uh, thanks. I know exactly where to put this."

I went back and forth, alternately hating all of them, which coincidentally, is the same feeling that I had during the Meri/Mariah scenes later. 

Okay, Meri, be real. Did you actually think that the King and the Queen Bee were actually letting the Crown Prince of Polygamy out of their sight for three hours, let alone three days? Who would they fawn over, worship and lift towards the heaven's al la The Lion King, each day? But, hey, you can take one of Robyn's other Stage Five Clingers, that they don't give as much of a shit about. I'm just thankful that they didn't suggest taking Aurora. In fact, I'm amazed.

But, I do think that "Solly's" clingyness is being exaggerated slightly. Robyn and Kody could have sold it a bit by saying, "Can we think about it for a bit," knowing that they're SUPPOSED to be going along with the "all the wives are the mothers or all the kids" bullshit. Especially knowing Meri's psychological state of the moment and knowing that she'd take offense at the immediate "no." Unless, of course, you're a passive aggressive manipulator who WANTS to continue to punish Meri, but not let a clueless idiot like Kody catch on. 

HAHA. Ariella was born on January 10, 2016. (according to Wiki) Can we give the two youngest Brown children their own abbreviated name instead of typing it out? I vote for Aerosol.

Mariah. On one hand, I agree that she should be pissed at her mother. On the other hand, boo-freaking-hoo. You're too upset to discuss it with her, but have NO PROBLEM venting your spoiled spleen to television cameras and telling a million strangers?  How about a little realization, that the polygamist lifestyle that you used to covet, is a lonely thing, and that the older wives feel abandoned and alone when Daddy Sperminator moves on to a hotter, younger thing? That catfishing goes on EVERYWHERE? Even to a smart, college student on his way to an NFL career? (I know that kid isn't an idiot. Naive and trusting, but not stupid. I know this because of my place of employment during THAT whole catfishing situation) 

And her comment that Meri should have thought about how it would affect Mariah before she got herself into that situation? Really? But I guess when you spent your whole life with your mom all to yourself (as opposed to your half siblings) and you're used to being the center of the freaking universe. Your mom was stupid. She was lonely. She was stuck with Kody and had just been maritally catfished out of her place as the legal wife. You were gone. She made a bad decision. Show some freaking compassion. Maybe stop blaming her and look to those around her that made her feel undesirable and desperate enough to fall for a lie. Better yet, blame the piece of shit that preyed upon her. She's in Oklahoma.

And that bedroom in Lehi? Holy crap. Mariah could have hosted pick up basketball games in that room. Tell me again how hard your life has been? I'd be more embarrassed by your father's antics than you mother's. 

Do you have a right to be pissed at your mother? Absolutely. Do you have the right to speak to her the way you did on camera and humiliate her more? No. The eyebrows comment? Petty and childish. Evidently, college hasn't taught you everything. 

YES x 1000

• Love 3

Didn't get to read through all the posts yet, but did anybody catch when Mariah said she had a hard time being on her own in the beginning and even something mundane like picking out bananas in the supermarket confused her? She said she really needed Meri there to help her pick the right bananas! Omg! I gasped! Those rascally editors! Couldn't believe what I heard... ;)

• Love 10
9 hours ago, GussieK said:

Those paintings were the worst!  That art teacher must be laughing hysterically as she pockets the money for teaching.

I actually like the whimsical one she did for Christine.  I think that type of style would be fun for a Halloween or non-religious Easter holiday.

9 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Maybe, but keep in mind that Meri didn't know she was being catfished for months, so I think it's more likely that Mariah was angry at her mother and warning her about the "friend" not because he maybe wasn't real, but because he and her mother were too intimate.  

Mariah seemed most upset at the fact that Meri didn't obey her when she was told to stop.  It's possible that Mariah was jealous of the time Meri was spending on her computer and phone.  Even though she's becoming more mature, she clearly still pretty self-involved.  Waxing nostalgic over her wonderful gigantic Lehi bedroom knowing her siblings were crammed 3+ per bedroom shows she still doesn't get it, IMO.

9 hours ago, Lm2162 said:

Then Mariah should be mad at her father as well.  He ignored Meri's unhappiness and insecurity by hiding out at Robyn's - which he's clearly still doing.  He's a poor example of the principle (as they present it).  We have no idea if what Meri says on camera is what Meri says to her family with the cameras off.  It irritated me that Mariah deliberately called her mom out on camera, but is seemingly unwilling to do it somewhere more productive, like with a therapist.  And the passive-aggressive dig at Meri's eyebrows was so obvious that even Breanna saw through it.  I get it - Mariah's polygamy dreams are crumbling and the vision of foisting off her kids on a younger sister wife is destroyed.  Perhaps she needs some therapy or support group to deal with that.  Perhaps she's unhappy going through this on camera, but there's a solution for that.  There's a reason we see so little of Logan these days.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

I didn't understand why Meri couldn't have taken one of the MANY other kids with her. Not like there is a shortage. 

Solomon is the father's current favored child.  In polygamy, those not receiving the husband's/father's attention tend to align themselves with the favored.  She didn't want to take any rando kid with her.  Meri wanted to take the child that would win her more Kody points.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, LotusFlower said:

Meri is such a drama queen.  It drives me bonkers.  I'm not a fan of Robyn's, but she showed a lot more patience with Meri over the Sol thing than I would have. Meri makes even something as innocuous as the no-Saul/Utah trip into a pity party ("They don't trust me...")

I agree with some of the posts above that Mariah showed both maturity and brattiness at the same time in this episode.  Good for her for calling out her mom for the "inappropriate" relationship, but why was it all about her?  I think that shows a narcissism she inherited from her mother.  Meri's affair embarrassed and betrayed the whole family, esp. her husband, but Mariah made it sound like it happened to her only.  I think this isolated and inward-looking attitude is even more proof that they're not one big family, but four separate families. 

And yes, it was an affair, and it's hilarious watching all the ways Meri tries to describe it as anything but.  Speaking of which, it was pretty funny to hear Mariah talk about "bananas" in this very episode.  Of all the fruits to pick...

Oops! Just your banana reference! :)

i agree with your post and your take on Mariah. However, that's the blowback from an affair, it effects everybody in the family when it all comes out. That's what the affair-ers don't always realize when they're in the throws of it. When you cheat on a spouse, you're also cheating on your kids, on your parents, etc. you go to family gatherings and you are simutaneously deceiving everybody there. I think I would feel lied to and deceived if my dad was cheating on my mom...I would be furious....

• Love 14
(edited)
10 hours ago, LucyEth said:

That whole Meri thing was ridiculous. she acted like a spoiled child.  How was Meri going to have a heart to heart with Mariah and talk about all those         personal things with Solomon running around.  I had to laugh at them offering Breanna in place of Solomon, as if they had to appease Meri in some way.   Also, Meri is back on the where is my place in the family kick.  Didn't we go thru this before a few years ago?  Isn't that what sort of lead to the "catfish" situation, she was searching for something?  Meri said she was never going to run off with another guy, not sure I believe that, sort of think if Sam were real and the whole thing were real, she would be gone.  I wonder if Kody had a conversation with Mariah, or is he to busy with Robyn.  Mariah is hurt and embarrassed.  I agree with the poster who said know one seemed excited when Maddie tried on gowns.  Why was Robyn's niece there, she was the one playing on her phone.  I hope Maddie can fit her own little sister Savannah into the bridal party somehow.  I wonder if we get to see the wedding.  

I think that's exactly why she wanted to bring Solomon...so that she COULDN'T really talk with Mariah. Avoidance. Can't get over how emotionally stilted Meri is. She can't really dill with any feelings or take any accountability. Such a fragile ego...

Plus, Meri has way too much time on her hands, THATS what led to this catfishing...that among other things. Ok she doesn't want to work, she doesn't want to go to school, why not volunteer at an animal shelter or hospital? Go find something to do besides sitting on your phone all day and navel-gazing about you "place in the family"! Ugh!!

And did I hear correctly that Mariah was not included in the bridal party??

and I also thought everybody at the dress-finding were so not into being there. Not too joyful, that crowd. Sheesh. I think Christine even said something about nobody tearing up

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 6

Kody wanting a tax deduction is the most normal thing I've ever heard on this show. 

I actually liked Meri's art. I think it's a good way to chanel her emotions, and I don't see anything wrong with giving them as gifts. Of course, coming on the heels of almost abandoning your family pretty much ruins any sentiment. 

The Sol thing. I'm having a hard time on this one. I get both sides. Meri is supposed to be Mom to all the other Moms kids too, but then she is flat out made to be like a weird aunt no one trusts. Or that's how I took it. Then Kody actually seemed to gage a situation correctly and went over board on the why not's. I thought that was actually good on Kody. (Omg, really?) Robyn pretty quickly and coldly said no, and Meri didn't appear to see that coming. As someone who was feeling so misplaced and not wanted by her family that she was looking to recently flee, that had to be a rough blow. Especially on camera. I'd think it was embarrassing. She has one kid. Everyone else has like, 6. And she wants to treat one like her own and just flat out shot down by a woman who barely looked up from reading her mail. Ouch.

However, as a non pleural family. I totally get it  I'd never allow it. But I look at this family differently. Are you one family, or not? 

That's as far as I made it. I fell asleep. Haha 

• Love 7

I thought it was interesting - by which I mean telling of some deeper dysfunction - that Mariah said that she had warned Meri about the relationship but Meri went ahead  anyway.  It's not a child's place to tell a parent who they can be friends with.  Mariah seems to be hurt partially because she didn't get her way, which is messed up.

on the other hand, she totally has Meri's number when it comes to what type of relationship she had with Sam and that she was ready to leave the family (including Mariah) to go off and start fresh.  I think Mariah is justifiably hurt and pissed off about that.  She should probably talk to a therapist about this to help her process her emotions.  And a real therapist, not that quack Nancy.

im no fan of Robin, but she was totally justified in saying No to the trip to Utah with Meri.  Especially since Meri's was just taking him to serve as a buffer.  And frankly, given her reaction when they said no, I'd be thinking "lady you aren't emotionally stable enough to be taking my children anywhere."

• Love 8
(edited)

@Granny58, I don't think it has much to do with age. If Mariah is an immature person, it is largely to do with Meri, as Meri's way of communicating is also highly immature and childish. That's what's been modeled to her.

I really don't see why the size of her room has anything to do with this. Someone's life can't have any struggles if they have a nice bedroom? Because she was spoiled in some ways, she's not allowed to be upset that her mom had a public affair and now regularly lies about it? Also, I wouldn't want to go to counseling or talk privately with my mom about this if she wasn't admitting what she did. And she doesn't. That's a key part of this. She claims it was mere flirting and ABUSE from the catfish, instead of Meri planning actively to leave the family for almost a year, including on more than one trip with Mariah. So she is betraying her daughter, too.

Her college actually isn't too conservative. It's a liberal arts college in a fairly conservative area. Many people learn critical thinking skills and have their minds burst wide open at college. I know I did. I believe that.

Re: having "compassion," it's hard when the parents told them their whole lives that they must believe a certain way of relating, loving, and marrying is the only religiously and morally correct one. The kids were much more brainwashed when they were young. Mariah went to a polygamist school through high school. It will take her some time to have compassion for why someone might want to leave or the many complicated factors that lead to something like this. I believe she will, but Meri can't expect that right away when she's the one who taught Mariah to think and believe this way to begin with, to the point that she was willing to go on a show about polygamy and fundamentalist Mormonism and sing its praises as recently as a year or so ago. 

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 12
(edited)

@tortuga, that shouldn't be her place because they are both adults, yes, but probably Mariah has an inappropriate relationship with her mother because she has had undue pressure to be both Meri's daughter and partner, since Kody hasn't been around much. Meri is very emotionally unstable and has likely leaned on Mariah for advice and emotional support to an inappropriate extent. It's telling that she only sought out a boyfriend after Mariah left, which tells you how much time they were probably spending together.

Also, this isn't a normal situation all around. I wouldn't have the right to tell my mom not to have an affair, but she never used me as a minor to be a character on her TV show, and she isn't on TV now or being followed by tabloids. So my friends, employer, students, and husband would never know in depth info about her affair or read her sexts and her complaints about my dad. But Mariah's circle of friends and colleagues will. Forever. 

Edited by Lm2162
  • Love 11
(edited)
24 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

Oops! Just your banana reference! :)

i agree with your post and your take on Mariah. However, that's the blowback from an affair, it effects everybody in the family when it all comes out. That's what the affair-ers don't always realize when they're in the throws of it. When you cheat on a spouse, you're also cheating on your kids, on your parents, etc. you go to family gatherings and you are simutaneously deceiving everybody there. I think I would feel lied to and deceived if my dad was cheating on my mom...I would be furious....

Yes, but this is a young woman, whose mother was married to a man who brought three other women into his life, set them all up under the same roof, slept with them alternately, impregnated them almost alternately,  under the guise of a "plural marriage."

Sure, when Mariah was born, there were already three moms in the house, so she was raised with the "normal" being that Daddy could plow it where ever he wanted to, and Mommy couldn't, but she was old enough to witness the addition of Wifey #4. Did she not pick up on the tension? The manipulation? Daddy divorcing her mom to marry the younger wife?

So, it's hard for me to call Meri a "cheater" by conversing with a guy who was actually a woman, online, while Kody has been sleeping/living with multiple women for Mariah's entire life. 

and did I hear correctly that Mariah was not included in the bridal party??

Oh, didn't catch that little nugget. Of so, OUCH. That says a lot, especially if Aspyn and Mykelti are included. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 10

@ChicksDigScars, my understanding is that the entire family, including the kids who left the church, regards each of these relationships as a marriage entirely equal in commitment and scope to any monogamous marriage. Actually, religiously superior. That's what they were taught in earnest throughout their lives.