Type keyword(s) to search

Hairspray Live! (NBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm a musical theatre geek and I find this show just so goofily adorable. I can't stop the beat. No, I can't. That's what I want in my life TV musicals.

Grease had the formula down: figure out how to get an audience, build a massive set, plan for crappy weather, hire total pros who can do this under any circumstance (Vanessa Hudgens, I'm looking at you), get an amazing director and go for it. And do it live. Sorry Rocky Horror - it's a fun show but I like my musicals live.

Kristin Chenoweth, Martin Short, and Harvey Fierstein were the backbones of this show. Derek Hough's dancing was good for me and he likes Oreos (although he took just a nibble. C'mon Man! I can scarf 10 of those down in the time it took for that product placement!)

The best musical for this genre? "Jerry Spring - the Opera" which was on the West End back in 2004. Best. Musical. Ever. And it lends itself to TV. Except for its extreme profanity. And a more than a few Fundamentalists would take issue with how it portrays Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, not to mention Adam & Eve (look it up). But damn, maybe HBO could do a live version.

Everyone is talking about liking the movie version better and my question is, Which One?  Maybe its my age (42) but I always liked the 1988 original one with Rikki Lake, it had the divine Divine, Rikki Lake and Debbie Harry.  I just never liked the remake, and honestly this one left me cold too.  There were some bright spots but the OG still holds number one in my heart

• Love 9
1 hour ago, cali1981 said:

On the other hand, you have to give Matthew Morrison major props for jumping right back to Broadway in Finding Neverland when Glee ended. It was so nice to see him return to his roots.

*cough*Because he had to*cough*

• Love 5
1 hour ago, starri said:

That might be true( who knows?), but he's always loved Broadway/theater more than anything else anyway.

Edited by Sara2009

I'm still mystified as to why they didn't have Matthew Morrison complete the circle by playing Corny. It's not like he's doing much anyway. 

J Hud destroying "I Know Where I've Been" reminded me of Audra McDonald in Sound of Music with Climb E'vry Mountain (although that's just Audra..) Link's actor literally being moved to tears at the end of it was probably genuine. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Aliconehead said:

Everyone is talking about liking the movie version better and my question is, Which One?  Maybe its my age (42) but I always liked the 1988 original one with Rikki Lake, it had the divine Divine, Rikki Lake and Debbie Harry.  I just never liked the remake, and honestly this one left me cold too.  There were some bright spots but the OG still holds number one in my heart

I never saw the original, was it a musical?  I thought they adapted this non-musical movie into a musical for Broadway.  And then the one in the late 00's was adapted from the Broadway musical.

Jennifer Hudson and Arianna Grande doing that duet at the end and trying to outsing each other reminded me of the time Hudson and Beyoncé sang a duet at the Oscars and kept trying to outsing each other.  Few can outsing Hudson, she just had that big voice.  

Apropos of nothing... my iPhone autocorrect automatically changes "Beyonce" without the accent mark over the e into "Beyoncé" with the mark.  Wow. She truly is the Queen.

• Love 2
  3 hours ago, cali1981 said:

On the other hand, you have to give Matthew Morrison major props for jumping right back to Broadway in Finding Neverland when Glee ended. It was so nice to see him return to his roots.

Not hardly. FYI, Morrison was part of of the cast that work shopped Neverland two years before it hit Broadway. By all accounts, when he freed up, Harvey Weinstein was thrilled to get him for the Broadway run. Morrison also did many concerts and other performances even while Glee was running.

• Love 2

I still prefer The Wiz out of all the live musicals which surprised me because I didn't know it and was not a fan of The Wizard of Oz. I just think it was the most well cast of them all.

I'm not surprised the ratings were down since it aired on a Wednesday. I wonder if there's an explanation for the time change since Sundays and Thursdays tend to be more marquee TV nights with more potential for viewers.

I agree with those who think Little Shop of Horrors would be perfect for this but it looks like Greg Berlanti is trying to bring a remake to the cinema.  I don't know if this would necessarily prevent a live version but I think it decreases the likelihood of it happening.

• Love 2

I was checking in on Twitter during the show and every other post was about how much we "needed" this with the way things are "now," and how relevant the themes still were blah blah blah. Y'all are my people on this board because there's been no mention of that here lol. Not to get political but it always amuses me when people speak about racism as if it's had a resurgence, it's always been around <shrug>. 

The actor playing Link was beautiful to look at but brought nothing to the table. One of the things I always liked about Hairspray was the big girl having the hot guy fall for her but that didn't come across as strong as the other versions. I won't blame that on the actor possibly being gay. Alot of them are and manage to convincingly play straight if the role requires it. Somebody else mentioned Tracy and Seaweed having the most chemistry with each other and I completely agree.

A previous poster mentioned JHud not being old enough to be believable, she is 35 so while she would've had a young start, it's not that unbelievable, especially for a character in inner city Baltimore in the 60s. That line she sang about being unhappy when her hair was brown and nappy kinda rubbed me the wrong way as a black woman who wears my natural hair. Pretty sure that song was written by a white man...the nerve lol. Oh well, I'll get over it.

Chenoweth killed it and I also really enjoyed the actress playing Amber. She brought a little more to it than the actresses in previous versions imo. "Yes mother" ha! They were the only two to be improvements over their predecessors from both film versions, while everyone else fell a little short. But overall I liked it. Definitely better than Rocky Horror. 

Edited by Negritude
  • Love 8

"RHPS" attempted to make a Social Statement (caps intended)  instead of just a fun musical. Bad idea that negated the whole "transvestite" thing, ironically.  Then it cast too-youthful and insipid actors as Brad and Janet. I like Adam Lambert, but thought his acting was too frenetic at the expense of showcasing his vocals. And so on.

"Hairspray," in contrast, stayed true to its theme of racial integration, didn't try to otherwise "modernize" it. Mrs. Turnblad remained the subtle (the "Divine" store sign brought the sly) to the sledge-hammer of "RHPS."  And real adult seasoned performers played key roles, and slayed (especially Ms. Chenoweth).

I adore and revere Martin Short, but he needs to be set free to do his thing, like the late Robin Williams! That's why a more low-key funnyman such as Jerry Stiller was in TOH movie. It was still great to see Marty, though (and same comment for his schtick-bro Sean Hayes). 

But my one take-away won't be the newest Tracy, or the fine dancing of Derek Hough, or the portrayal of Show-Biz dog-eat-dog of Kristin, or even of the Emmy turn of JHud's powerhouse anthem. 

No. It will be, at that anthem's end, when Fantasy met Reality, and honest-to-God TEARS streamed down Garrett Clayton's face. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

"RHPS" attempted to make a Social Statement (caps intended)  instead of just a fun musical.

I don't know that I agree with that.  The show is transgressive and always had been (they revived it on Broadway in 2000 with Lea DeLaria playing Eddie).  They fell down by not attempting to do it live, and frankly by toning down some the sexuality.  Also, Rocky had been skipping Leg Day.

And, as much as I like her, giving the lead to Laverne Cox was a mistake.  They had wanted Adam Lambert to do it, but he turned it down.  She tried really hard, and I give her a total A for effort, but she can't sing.

• Love 2

I liked the 2007 film but I didn't see much romantic chemistry between Zac Efron and Nikki Blonsky. I saw a great bootleg of the show on Broadway with Aaron Tveit as Link and had a much better time believing Link and Tracy falling in love there. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The ratings were down from The Wiz.

NBC has to be pissed, because you can see how much they tried to top Grease Live.

Honestly, I don't think people were going to be that excited to see a musical that was so popular for awhile pretty recently. If it's still concieveable that Zac Efron could play Linc, it might have been too soon.

The only reason they seemed to hire Garret Clayton was because he looks like a knockoff version of Efron

• Love 2

For me, the most discordant element was Darren Criss with his Justin Trudeau-wannabe hair.  The Hair kept me from enjoying his emceeing.  

I loved the live production. glitches and all.  I did keep channel-flipping to the movie version during the breaks, which was simulcast on one of the Canadian networks. What struck me was the difference between the two Ednas.  Each had their strong points - Harvey was stronger in terms of acting, but Travolta nailed the physicality of Edna as a large woman who is light on her feet.  

6 hours ago, starri said:

And, as much as I like her, giving the lead to Laverne Cox was a mistake.  They had wanted Adam Lambert to do it, but he turned it down.  She tried really hard, and I give her a total A for effort, but she can't sing.

Totally agree with Laverne being wrong for the part (and I adore her to no end). Frank isn't a woman. He's not transgendered. He's a cis man who just loves frilly things and high heels and bones everyone that he finds remotely attractive regardless of gender. Having the part played by a woman totally neuters the danger that Frank presented to the "heroes". 

The couple of glitches in Hairspray didn't bother me, as I've sat through enough theater to see flubbed lines, missed lyrics and one case where the lead slipped and fell on his ass in the middle of a big dance number. I've also done enough theater to know how hard it is and had my own staging mistakes to deal with (let's not talk about what happened to me during the world's worst production of Romeo and Juliet). Live theater comes with live mistakes. The bigger issues to me were the casting choices that were clearly aimed at pulling a certain audience demographic, even if they weren't suitable for playing the part. And for the lead role, I would much rather have seen them go with a real theater professional and not look for a talented amateur. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, IOU Payne said:

Each had their strong points - Harvey was stronger in terms of acting, but Travolta nailed the physicality of Edna as a large woman who is light on her feet. 

Well, but that's also because of their backgrounds.  Harvey was a drag queen and Travolta was a dancer.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

No. It will be, at that anthem's end, when Fantasy met Reality, and honest-to-God TEARS streamed down Garrett Clayton's face. 

I hadn't  noticed that at the time, but I went back and watched and, DAMN, he is practically sobbing.  I think that is the most emotion he showed all night.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Omeletsmom said:

I hadn't  noticed that at the time, but I went back and watched and, DAMN, he is practically sobbing.  I think that is the most emotion he showed all night.

Shahadi Wright Joseph wipes his eyes for him at one point.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I'll always love the original film best. It's more subversive than any of the musical versions, and less bubble gum. (And there's nothing wrong with liking bubble gum, but I'll take Divine over Arianna Grande any day.)

I hate that the musical didn't make use of the funniest scene in the original film - Penny's mother venturing into the black neighborhood.

• Love 3
On 12/8/2016 at 5:23 PM, Aliconehead said:

Maybe it's my age, too, but the original movie remains the best. I hated the movie remake/musical version and, to me, this came in a very far third. The original script/movie lost its edginess, its humor, and everything that made it a Jon Waters' classic with each one of these remakes. While I enjoy musicals, they really didn't do Hairspray justice. It became too sanitized of, I don't know, the oddball weirdness of Jon Waters, who was able to make a statement while also poking fun at everyone and everything involved.

Edited by Zanne
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Zanne said:

The original script/movie lost its edginess, its humor, and everything that made it a Jon Waters' classic with each one of these remakes. While I enjoy musicals, they really didn't do Hairspray justice. It became too sanitized of, I don't know, the oddball weirdness of Jon Waters, who was able to make a statement while also poking fun at everyone and everything involved.

A large part of the reason the original works so well is that Waters was either forced or strongly encouraged to curb some of his more subversive impulses.  I truly don't think the movie would be as effective had he gone with his original plan to have Divine play both Edna and Tracy for example.  All credit to Divine for giving such a great performance, but without Ricki Lake who just makes Tracy so lovable, it wouldn't connect with audiences as well as it does.  And the scenes that were cut all sound like it was for the better.

The movie is still a lot more mainstream than say, Female Trouble, but that's not a bad thing.  It's still a celebration of weird and wonderful stuff, but it's done in a way that the masses can also enjoy.

The other thing that I truly, truly admire about the musical is that they weren't afraid to not shortcut things.  They could have easily made this a jukebox musical, but went the harder route by writing original songs and pulled it off beautifully.  It's all period-appropriate, from girl groups ("Mama, I'm a Big Girl Now," the best song in the show, and "Welcome to the 60s"), Motown ("Run and Tell That"), gospel/blues ("I Know Where I've Been"), and the big production numbers of Broadway shows of the era ("You Can't Stop the Beat" is a descendant, both in terms of the choreography and music of "Turkey Lurkey Time" from Promises, Promises).  As a musical, regardless of whether or not it does the story justice or not, it's a triumph, because it shouldn't work, and it does.  I mentioned before that my husband doesn't like musicals (or drag), and I was expecting to have to twist his arm to get him to watch with me, but he said "yes" immediately.  And Harvey was his favorite part.

Although I do wish they had licensed Rachel Sweet's original theme.

Edited by starri
  • Love 3
On 12/7/2016 at 9:20 PM, starri said:

You know, I know Rosie O'Donnell loves Broadway, and I know she's loving getting to do this, but I never forget I'm watching Rosie.  And that doesn't have to be a bad thing, except that it is.

Agreed. I was afraid the same would be true for Billy Eichner, but it didn't.

On 12/7/2016 at 10:02 PM, hoosier80 said:

f they want to cater to kids, why not Matilda?  You could get a newcomer for the lead, and fill the adult roles with veterans and the "names".

I would love a Matilda live. It's a great show. And it is not just for kids, it's a smart show that adults would enjoy too.

All in all, I enjoyed this. I liked that Maddie had a very natural line delivery and a nice speaking voice. This role has been played very cartoony in the past.

I hate Arianna Grande's music but have grown fond of her SNL apprearances. I was wondering how she would handle being a secondary character and I found her performance very gracious. No diva moves or scenery chewing.

I love watching Jennifer Hudson slay it because it makes up for her too-early exit from American Idol (and it must piss Beyoncé off lol.) And she's beautiful too.

The vets - Martin Short, Harvey, Kristin, Andrea Martin - looked like they were having a great time, and the feeling was infectious. 

• Love 1

I like this version.  But I was thinking "Do we need another Hairspray so soon?"   I would have preferred something else that have been in the vaults for awhile.  

My only complaint was I couldn't understand Harvey F half the time.  I agree John Travolta did it better.  

Bye Bye Birdy will be interesting. 

On December 11, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Mumbles said:

Agreed. I was afraid the same would be true for Billy Eichner, but it didn't.

The thing that bothered me about Billy Eichner was the beard.  I can't imagine a 60s newscaster having that kind of facial hair.  I know it would have been a lot to have him shave for a two-minute role, but still...

• Love 1

After leaving this on the dvr for a few days I finally watched. I agree with the other older posters who much preferred the original Ricki Lake movie. The musical really sanitized a lot of the sexiness. Damn it, original movie Linc was sexy and not just a faded version of Zac Efron. But I've always liked the songs from the musical so most of the performances were fun despite the muddled sound. I just wish that had hit the silliness of the musical harder.

Will be interested in seeing what they do with Bye Bye Birdie and if they are committed to chasing millennial viewers, how about Legally Blonde as the next show after that?

Edited by TiffanyNichelle
48 minutes ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

After leaving this on the dvr for a few days I finally watched. I agree with the other older posters who much preferred the original Ricki Lake movie. The musical really sanitized a lot of the sexiness. Damn it, original movie Linc was sexy and not just a faded version of Zac Efron. But I've always liked the songs from the musical so most of the performances were fun despite the muddled sound. I just wish that had hit the silliness of the musical harder.

Will be interested in seeing what they do with Bye Bye Birdie and if they are committed to chasing millennial viewers, how about Legally Blonde as the next show after that?

They've also mentioned doing A Few Good Men (& I think Aaron Sorkin's committed to working on it), but they haven't announced a date for it yet.

• Love 1

Finally got around to watching this. The Wiz was my favorite, but the thing I noticed the most was that both productions are really female vehicles. I'd like to see that become a tradition.

The actress who played Inez? I loved her so much. I hope she sticks around.

How did I not realize before now that Martin Short is so short?

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2

I am, again, very late to this party but I've just finished watching a recorded version of this show.  Here are my thoughts.

• I've never seen Hairspray live or on Broadway so the only version I really know is the movie one, and inevitably that's what I was always going to compare this show with.  The differences with the songs that were included, when they were included and how they appeared was a bit jarring all through but I'm guessing that was an attempt to include bits from both the movie and the stage show?
  • The leads? First of all, once she found her confidence I liked Maddie's singing better than Nikki Blonsky's more nasal singing.  I liked live show Amber better than movie Amber even though you'd have to say she was more of a bitch.  Kristin Chenoweth can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy Michelle Pfeiffer's take on Velma in the movie - they were just different.  I know Harvey Fierstein is a legend of theatre and he created the role of Edna on Broadway (I think?) but due to the better dancing ability, not to mention singing ability, I preferred John Travolta as Edna in the movie.  Martin Short is a far better singer than Christopher Walken but there was just something so inspired about having a typical movie bad guy cast as the owner of the Hardy Har Hut.   Link, NO CONTEST.  Zac Efron was leagues ahead of the Ken Doll bloke they had, who was a pretty average singer too.  Corny Collins?  I love James Marsden's voice so I'm biased but Derek Hough was just...okay.  He didn't offend me.  I liked both Seaweeds for different reasons.  Live show Little Inez was better than movie Little Inez for me.  Ariana Grande can obviously sing better than Amanda Bynes but, yes, she does speak and sing like she has marbles in her mouth, and I found Amanda's portrayal of Penny more charming.  And as for Motormouth Maybelle, here's a possibly unpopular opinion.  I liked JHud singing Big, Blond and Beautiful, but in I Know Where I've Been, her oversinging ruined the moment for me and I actually found Queen Latifah's version more touching and powerful.  But I am very much in the minority with that opinion after reading this thread!  I can see that JHud is a brilliant singer, but her style of singing is too much for me sometimes.  For what it's worth, I don't enjoy the scenery-chewing And I Tell You I'm Not Going either.
  • I also preferred the resolution of the movie over the resolution of the live show i.e. how they come to the final scene, how all the stories are tied up, Little Inez winning Miss Teenage Hairspray, etc.  It just made more sense to me.

Overall, I'd give it a six and a half out of 10.  Certainly enjoyable enough but if I want to really sit down and enjoy the musical I'll watch my DVD, I think!

•  
On 12/11/2016 at 0:49 PM, LGGirl said:

I like this version.  But I was thinking "Do we need another Hairspray so soon?"   I would have preferred something else that have been in the vaults for awhile.  

My only complaint was I couldn't understand Harvey F half the time.  I agree John Travolta did it better.  

Bye Bye Birdy will be interesting. 

I thought that was part of the reason the Wiz did better than Hairspray Live did. The Wiz movie is almost 40 years old, Hairspray Live was made just a decade ago. The whole Hairspray craze pretty much died down and it was a bit too soon to try and revive it. It's essentially like making nostalgia movies/shows for the previous decade- they usually don't work because they're too much of a recent memory and people haven't had time to "miss" it yet.

I though that Garrett Clayton as link gave a good performance. I saw him as a quintessential 1950/60s teen idol figure: impossibly pretty, charming,  good singing and dancing ability. 

He played that to campy perfection in Teen Beach Movie on Disney. He really does channel that 1962 kind of teen idol very well.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just started watching this - albeit a really cruddy lo-res high-pitched YT version - and I'm loving it much more than the movie. Travolta traumatized me so seeing Harvey is delightful. Surprised I'm not loving Cheno yet though...she's doing her usual thing and its...okay.

Edit: So, I finally finished watching the whole thing and I definitely enjoyed it more than the movie. It felt really short though. Did it cover the full two acts of the Broadway version?  Maybe I was enjoying it so much it just flew by but it definitely seemed shorter than two hours.

I do agree that the guy who played Linc didn't really have any chemistry with the gal playing Tracy, and that becomes more and more apparent as the show goes on, but I felt like they were having so much fun it didn't really bother me. I definitely wish Cheno had had more of an opportunity to play the villainess. I don't remember her character in the movie being invited to join in the final chorus of You Can't Stop the Beat. Did that also happen in the original stage show?

As someone else said upthread, I have also never had much to say about Jennifer Hudson. To me, there will only be one Effie and that is Jennifer Holliday. All others come a distant second, so the hysteria over Hudson's performance in the movie felt a little artificial to me. She did a good enough job but I didn't love it. Course I didn't love the movie either. I was really pleasantly surprised by her take on I Know Where I've Been here, to the point where I found myself questioning how much of it was actually live and how much of it was achieved via technical wizardry. I have never heard her sing that well. I have trouble believing it was completely live.

I do, however, feel that her weight - or rather her weight loss - was a bit of an issue. That whole first number was about being a plus size woman and she clearly wasn't. I won't begrudge her her health obviously but they probably should have padded her out a little bit.

Harvey Fierstein gave me the feels in that last number and I'm so, so glad he was part of this production. All of the cameos were bang-on too... Except for Rosie O'Donnell. When she showed up I assumed she was playing a lesbian gym teacher, but then she made that weird comment encouraging the boys to take a shower so she could watch and I was like ....!?! 

Ariana Grande wearing her traditional outfit in the finale didn't stick out as much as I thought it would. Maybe I was just willing to overlook it cuz I was having so much fun.

In the movie, didn't they give more closure to the kooky father's ambitions of having a successful gag shop? I also feel like Edna gets to show off that she designed her own gown in the finale in the movie and that helps kickstart her career as a designer. In this live production I didn't get that from either and I'm not sure why. Did I miss some dialogue?

Edited by DisneyBoy

Hairspray Live received seven Emmy nominations!

OUTSTANDING PRODUCTION DESIGN FOR A VARIETY, NONFICTION, EVENT OR AWARD SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING COSTUMES FOR VARIETY, NONFICTION OR REALITY PROGRAMMING

OUTSTANDING HAIRSTYLING FOR A MULTI-CAMERA SERIES OR SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING LIGHTING DESIGN/LIGHTING DIRECTION FOR A VARIETY SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING MAKEUP FOR A MULTI-CAMERA SERIES OR SPECIAL (NON-PROSTHETIC)

OUTSTANDING SPECIAL CLASS PROGRAM

OUTSTANDING TECHNICAL DIRECTION, CAMERAWORK, VIDEO CONTROL FOR A LIMITED SERIES, MOVI

• Love 2